Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2024, 07:02 PM   #2601
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think that's an NFL problem, not a coaches doing interviews problem. As long as hiring coaches is allowed before the season is over, it's inevitable.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:28 PM   #2602
RainMaker
General Manager

I thought he called a great game. 31 points and 442 yards against a top 5 defense on the road. They probably put up close to 40 if they didn't drop so many passes and kicked a field goal here and there.

Not sure what you all expect out of him. The 49ers are a really good team. I think most coaches would be ecstatic with the performance from that offense which isn't exactly loaded with huge talents.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:53 PM   #2603
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Reports say Ben Johnson made the announcement he was no longer pursuing a Head Coaching job while the Washington Commander's brass was on a flight to see him. That's cold.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
I thought they also had plans to interview Aaron Glenn. So I think they ended up flying anyways and just did one less interview.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:57 PM   #2604
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Does going on a bunch of interviews before a playoff game potentially impact a coordinator's and team's performance? If I was a Lions fans I'd be psyched he's staying, but, would kind of wish he figured that out before doing lots of interviews during the playoffs.

Unless Johnson was traveling to the hiring team's facilities, interviewing and then flying back, I don't think it is a issue. I would love to see a mock interview to know for sure but I suspect it is about coaching philosophy, team structure, possible staff hires, and finally thoughts on the team's QB position. Interviews probably cut more into the 2-3 hours the coach was spending with his family during the week as opposed to prep time for the game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 01-30-2024 at 09:57 PM.
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:01 PM   #2605
Danny
Head Coach

And outside of the running with a minute left he called a great game.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:41 PM   #2606
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Who hurt you?

Here....look at this stuffed animal/ They touched me right HERE.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:43 PM   #2607
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Reports say Ben Johnson made the announcement he was no longer pursuing a Head Coaching job while the Washington Commander's brass was on a flight to see him. That's cold.

I could have used that money
Old 01-30-2024, 11:49 PM   #2608
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Okay I should probably ask this question. How much do head coaches call and how much do OCs/DCs call. Well i dunno if dcs call anything. But well. um...

Any Given Sunday
That movie. That is the ONLY example of the Head Coach/OC relationshiop I've ever seen. In the final game, seconds to go. They are down in score. HC Al Pacino looks at the situation and says...."Comanche". OC Aaron Eckhart responds "Comanche? But there's not enough time..." "This is why we got into it! Comanche! You got wings!" Eckhart then looks at his playbook from up aboe and looks at plays then says into the mic "Okay Comache White Right Sweep..." something like that

So the head coach called the main play and the OC tried to argue with him but it was the HC's call. Then the OC picked the SPECIFIC play of that type and relayed it to the players.

Is that at all accurate in how the HC and OC interact?

DOes the OC do anymore than that? Do the OCs even call the main plays?
Old 01-31-2024, 01:46 AM   #2609
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Depends on the team. Head coaches sometimes call plays on the side of the ball of their expertise (offense for a guy like Shanahan, defense for Belichick). If not then the OC/DC or even on a rare occasion another coach could be the play-caller.There have been a few times when someone like the QB coach calls plays. I heard of one instance recently where one coach was calling plays on first and second down and another called third down.
Anyway, the head coach hears every play call through the headset and has the ability to veto a call. How often that happens probably depends on the coach, but I imagine it would be very rare. Head coaches would usually have input on when a trick play is called. A non-playcalling coach is involved decisions where there is a special situation at hand, like going for it on fourth down or calling a fake kick.

GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:05 AM   #2610
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I believe UrinatingTree sums up things in Pittsburgh pretty well here

https://youtu.be/_8jvfC5CGpA?si=eqCxdwnU3hUkwvsG
Old 01-31-2024, 11:23 AM   #2611
GrantDawg

I was just reading some pretty interesting thoughts on what the fans believe New England's plans will be going forward. I thought for sure they would take a QB at 3 as long as they assess Jayden Daniels as worth it, but the buzz seems to be that the roster has too many needs. They believe they team will just stick with Mac and try to improve the overall roster, and then look for a quarterback in the next couple of seasons. If that is true, that is going to change the shape of the board dramatically.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:32 AM   #2612
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
I was just reading some pretty interesting thoughts on what the fans believe New England's plans will be going forward. I thought for sure they would take a QB at 3 as long as they assess Jayden Daniels as worth it, but the buzz seems to be that the roster has too many needs. They believe they team will just stick with Mac and try to improve the overall roster, and then look for a quarterback in the next couple of seasons. If that is true, that is going to change the shape of the board dramatically.

Id LOVE for the Raiders to move up to #3 for Daniels. Hes tight with AP and attended their last game. Id be fine giving up three firsts in a deal.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:43 AM   #2613
QuikSand
lolzcat

would be a beautiful #Redskins move if they fly to Detroit and then save face by hiring the coach of their pitiful defense rather than their impressive offense...

(I actually suspect Glenn gets a shot one day, but still on the surface, awesome)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:44 AM   #2614
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
would be a beautiful #Redskins move if they fly to Detroit and then save face by hiring the coach of their pitiful defense rather than their impressive offense...

(I actually suspect Glenn gets a shot one day, but still on the surface, awesome)
Where do you think they are leaning? I keep hearing Mike MacDonald.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:24 PM   #2615
GrantDawg

Quote:
Where do you think they are leaning? I keep hearing Mike MacDonald.
NVM. It looks like he is taking the Seahawks job.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:45 PM   #2616
miami_fan
Coordinator

So Steve Kerr still has a shot at the Commanders' job?

But seriously, is Eric Bieniemy an option in Washington? I don't remember hearing about him doing an interview with them. It feels like he might get the job by default.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-31-2024, 01:04 PM   #2617
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think that's an NFL problem, not a coaches doing interviews problem. As long as hiring coaches is allowed before the season is over, it's inevitable.

Didn't it used to be illegal to interview a coach before their playoff run ended?

I thought they changed it because coordinators for successful teams had a hard time getting promoted because teams were hiring head coaches before coordinators even had a chance to interview.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:16 PM   #2618
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Didn't it used to be illegal to interview a coach before their playoff run ended?

I thought they changed it because coordinators for successful teams had a hard time getting promoted because teams were hiring head coaches before coordinators even had a chance to interview.

Interview coach before super bowl, right to jail. Interview coach after super bowl, right to jail. Reading this post, right to jail.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:40 AM   #2619
GrantDawg

Washington official hires Dan Quinn. The fans seem not amused.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-01-2024 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:55 AM   #2620
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Washington official hires Dan Quinn. The fans seem not amused.

It's not an exciting hire but I do think it's a solid one. He's well respected with good connections to put together a strong staff.

I think he's a retread that deserves a 2nd shot.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:54 AM   #2621
GrantDawg

Maybe he learned enough from his failure at the Falcons. How that fell apart was his inability to put a staff together after losing Kyle Shanahan. Well, that and missing on several draft picks very badly.

Old 02-01-2024, 12:25 PM   #2622
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
so Belichick to the Cowboys as DC and head coach in waiting? That would be something Jerrah would absolutely do
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:33 PM   #2623
QuikSand
lolzcat

If I were a Commanders fan, I wanted more or less in this order: Johnson, Vrabel, some other razor stubble guy out of nowhere, and then maybe Dan Quinn.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:47 PM   #2624
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Okay I should probably ask this question. How much do head coaches call and how much do OCs/DCs call. Well i dunno if dcs call anything. But well. um...
This does not directly answer your question but I found it rather interesting.

What Makes a Good Offensive Coordinator? And Are There Fewer in 2023? - The Ringer

A couple things I never gave serious thought to:

1. Budget limitations for the staff. I mean I knew it was a thing but the idea that Mike Tice had to choose between Louisville's OC(Scott Linehan) and Georgia Tech's OC (Bill O'Brien) for the vacant Vikings' OC position in order to stay within budget just sounds weird.

2. A positional coach being the one responsible for the situational offense i.e. red zone, third down etc.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:16 PM   #2625
bhlloy
Coordinator

My first thought was to laugh at the Quinn news. The more I think about it, it’s probably a solid but unspectacular hire that will turn out to be far better than half the wunderkinds who got hired this or any other cycle. Probably a ceiling of 9-8 and lucking in to a playoff win, but then that might be true of any team that needs a QB.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:39 PM   #2626
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
so Belichick to the Cowboys as DC and head coach in waiting? That would be something Jerrah would absolutely do

I don't see Belichick doing it.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:18 PM   #2627
GrantDawg

Alabama might lose the OC they just hired, as Seattle is considering Grubb for the OC position.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:54 PM   #2628
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Alabama might lose the OC they just hired, as Seattle is considering Grubb for the OC position.

Good.

Fuck em...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:02 PM   #2629
miami_fan
Coordinator

Come on guys, we seen this enough to know what is going to happen. Belichick is going rehabilitate his image working as an analyst or senior assistant on the Alabama coaching staff. Look what it did for Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkisian etc.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:12 PM   #2630
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

what the fuck
NOBODY took Vrabel? Are they stupid?
Goddammit!
Old 02-01-2024, 06:55 PM   #2631
GrantDawg

It is rumored that UCLA head coach Chip Kelly is considering becoming the OC in Washington for Dan Quinn. If he does, that will be the second college head coach moving to a coordinator job in the NFL.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:26 PM   #2632
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It is rumored that UCLA head coach Chip Kelly is considering becoming the OC in Washington for Dan Quinn. If he does, that will be the second college head coach moving to a coordinator job in the NFL.

I saw a rivals admin predict a couple weeks ago that this could become a thing. There's just little appeal to college coaching with the portal, NIL, etc.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:48 PM   #2633
GrantDawg

He actually interviewed for the Raiders job twice. I hadn't heard that. I totally get it. The college game was always much harder but now it is many times harder.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:03 PM   #2634
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

UCLA was 8-5. They lost their stud freshman QB. They have to play five teams that could be in the top ten next year.

Kelly's stock was going to drop like a stone next year, so good for him in selling as high as possible.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:10 PM   #2635
RainMaker
General Manager

He's also 60 and this is probably the last shot he would get at the big leagues.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:43 AM   #2636
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He's also 60 and this is probably the last shot he would get at the big leagues.

On the one hand, he's been around forever, so 60 makes sense.

On the other hand, it seems crazy that Chip Kelly is 60.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:18 PM   #2637
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I knew this guy stole 20 mil from the Jags but had no idea he lost it all playing daily fantasy on fanduel. I am a pretty heavy DFS player and I can not fathom playing that much let alone losing it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...tolen-millions

Last edited by Lathum : 02-02-2024 at 12:18 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 01:18 PM   #2638
GrantDawg

Need a laugh?
Old 02-03-2024, 01:07 PM   #2639
GrantDawg

There have been some players that have improved their draft status with the Senior Bowl, but none maybe as much as Spencer Rattler. Expect some buzz on him jumping up some boards.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:39 PM   #2640
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I knew this guy stole 20 mil from the Jags but had no idea he lost it all playing daily fantasy on fanduel. I am a pretty heavy DFS player and I can not fathom playing that much let alone losing it.

Jaguars asked FanDuel to return stolen $20M, source says - ESPN

I understand that it’s an addiction, so it is not supposed to make sense. But you would think after losing, like, $10 million on daily fantasy it might occurr to someone that they’re not very good at daily fantasy.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:53 PM   #2641
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is Mahomes’ dad getting a DUI any kind of a distraction? It’s been awhile since Jackson did dumb shit.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:18 PM   #2642
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

my reaction to Senor Mahomes 3rd DWI

Old 02-04-2024, 08:26 PM   #2643
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I understand that it’s an addiction, so it is not supposed to make sense. But you would think after losing, like, $10 million on daily fantasy it might occurr to someone that they’re not very good at daily fantasy.

Does it matter if it is not your money?

Gamblers, help me out with this bit.

Quote:
"Gambling sites have a duty to perform 'Anti-Money Laundering' and 'Know Your Client' procedures to ensure they do not onboard funds of an illicit origin," said Stephen Bell, an attorney who practices in white-collar criminal cases. "Where the size of a customer's bets far outweighs their income, red flags are present and should require additional due diligence to confirm the funds are clean."

Are these gambling sites asking for a client's income? How does a site like FanDuel ensure that funds that are wagered are clean? I thought a company like FanDuel would care about it making sure the clients have the money to cover their bets. If the money is pulled from a bank account or a credit card (don't know if this is possible), does that suffice or does the client have to provide more info?
Old 02-05-2024, 12:52 PM   #2644
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
silly season has started for Super Bowl prop bets. Someone put a hundred grand down on the coin flip.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 12:54 PM   #2645
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Is Travis kelswift overperforming lately cuz I kinda think he is
Old 02-05-2024, 01:06 PM   #2646
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Uh oh Pacheco kittle and their guard didn't practice last week with booboos. I think rhe chiefs are going down

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-05-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:05 PM   #2647
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Oh wait kettle is sf
Old 02-05-2024, 02:32 PM   #2648
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Is Travis kelswift overperforming lately cuz I kinda think he is
I think he is the kind of player like Brady and Gronk, who plays out of his mind when it is win or die. Mahomes is the same. There is just a special drive in their DNA.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:28 PM   #2649
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I think he is the kind of player like Brady and Gronk, who plays out of his mind when it is win or die. Mahomes is the same. There is just a special drive in their DNA.

But when Taytay dumps him he will return to earth I think
Old 02-05-2024, 04:29 PM   #2650
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

and see....it boggles my mind that every single player in the NFL doesn't play out of their mind...because they only have to do this 16 times a year. So why would any of these goombas not play out of their mind for those 16 times a year