Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #2651
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait to hear how Rubio has the experience to be President from the same people that said Obama was too young an inexperienced.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #2652
Dutch
"Dutch"

We just wanted to cover our bases. We hear the Dem's are "cool" with either.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:46 AM   #2653
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This is why Cruz needs to be punched in the face.

Ben Carson Accuses Ted Cruz Of Using 'Dirty Tricks' To Win Iowa

ETA: There's also this

Ted Cruz under fire for controversial Iowa mailer

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-03-2016 at 01:40 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:14 AM   #2654
nol
Banned

Haha imagine being so dumb that you go to a caucus to vote for Ben Carson only to be told that he isn't running any longer, and instead of questioning it you just go "Shoot, I better vote for Ted Cruz instead."
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #2655
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Haha imagine being so dumb that you go to a caucus to vote for Ben Carson only to be told that he isn't running any longer, and instead of questioning it you just go "Shoot, I better vote for Ted Cruz instead."

The real funny part is this:

Quote:
Carson said his wife also witnessed Cruz supporters telling caucusgoers this at one site.

Imagine Carson being at the actual site, and that happens!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #2656
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
If Cruz is eligible, then Obama was eligible even if he was born in Kenya, so I'm glad we wasted so much time on that.

There has been a lot of time wasted on Cruz as well. It's just that this time people on one side aren't just withholding an easily produced birth certificate and screaming racism the whole time to garner angry votes. The whole Obama thing was a complete farce and foolishness from the right AND also a complete political play from the left.

Is Ted Cruz a 'natural born Citizen'? Not if you're a constitutional originalist. - LA Times

Ted Cruz is not eligible to be president - The Washington Post

Ted Cruz is not eligible to run for president: A Harvard Law professor close-reads the Constitution - Salon.com
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #2657
PilotMan
Head Coach

The whole Cruz birther thing is bullshit. Shouldn't be any question. It's not like he had to pass a citizenship test. He was born a citizen. That's all there is to it. Nothing more. No sense in even thinking about it. Just like the Obama stuff.

Like Steam?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #2658
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We don't and won't know if Cruz is eligible until he's elected and someone with standing sues. I would expect SCOTUS would say anyone born to a citizen is a citizen, but I can't guarantee that. The weakness in our system is that there's no way to get an opinion from SCOTUS without a law suit.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #2659
QuikSand
lolzcat

Rand Paul is apparently suspending...
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #2660
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
There has been a lot of time wasted on Cruz as well. It's just that this time people on one side aren't just withholding an easily produced birth certificate and screaming racism the whole time to garner angry votes.

Obama first released his birth certificate (the one he had in his possession) in June 2008. and even let reporters examine the physical copy. Claiming he withheld his birth certificate is absurd.

The one that he supposedly withheld was the long form certificate, which was against Hawaii policy to release to anyone, including Obama himself. When the long form was finally released, it was only after Hawaii granted a one time exception because Obama's personal lawyer requested a waiver.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #2661
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Obama first released his birth certificate (the one he had in his possession) in June 2008. and even let reporters examine the physical copy. Claiming he withheld his birth certificate is absurd.

The one that he supposedly withheld was the long form certificate, which was against Hawaii policy to release to anyone, including Obama himself. When the long form was finally released, it was only after Hawaii granted a one time exception because Obama's personal lawyer requested a waiver.

I completely agree that people like Trump and the birthers were desperately/annoyingly clinging to an issue to somehow get the "evil Obama" or as they like to say Barry Soetoro out of office. However (IMO) Obama played this out for all it was worth for political capital. Hawaii releasing wasn't the issue for all those years. It's nice to be able to paint your opponents as idiots.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #2662
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Damn, reminds me of the Bush/Gore Florida vote where people were saying "Gore won Florida!" while the voting stations were still open. Some folks are shady as hell.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #2663
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Rand Paul is apparently suspending...

Now, I seriously doubt his supporters go with Rubio...maybe Cruz, I guess?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #2664
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In NH what's the bar that Rubio has to match to avoid disappointment? Is third enough or does he have to come in second? (With a win being an obvious triumph)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #2665
vex
Grizzled Veteran

The Rubio camp has been going for 3(Iowa), 2(NH), 1(SC) and I also think that sounds about right. A third in NH would seemingly kill all of his recent momentum.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #2666
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Staying in the race past the first four is about money. Showing momentum in New Hampshire (moving past 15%, possibly) would give Rubio access to a lot of money.

The bar is lower than in past years because Trump, despite all his other faults, isn't searching for funding. So there are a lot of people on the sidelines waiting to jump in with their checkbooks.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #2667
Thomkal
Head Coach

How in the hell did this happen with Mr. Build a Wall, and kick Muslims out of the country?

Donald Trump ‘nominated for Nobel Peace Prize’ for 'vigorous peace through strength ideology' | People | News | The Independent
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #2668
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I heard the Onion had been purchased - didn't know the Nobel Committee bought it to troll Americans.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #2669
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't know the Independent was a parody site.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #2670
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Getting nominated for a Nobel Prize is kind of like applying to run for President. The process is fairly simple, so there are a few hundred names out there, but only a handful have an actual chance.

Here's the info: Nomination and Selection of Nobel Peace Prize Laureates
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #2671
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Trump going after Cruz's win as illegitimate seems to me like it will go over more as whining than anything. But we will see how voters react to it.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #2672
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I didn't know the Independent was a parody site.

LOL
Old 02-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #2673
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I heard the Onion had been purchased - didn't know the Nobel Committee bought it to troll Americans.

heh
Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #2674
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Santorum out.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #2675
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Santorum out.

I thought the rule was that kind of talk isn't allowed on the board. REPORTED
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:57 AM   #2676
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What's Santorum going to do while waiting to launch yet another unsuccessful bid in 3 years?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #2677
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
What's Santorum going to do while waiting to launch yet another unsuccessful bid in 3 years?

Your mom?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #2678
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Attached Images
File Type: jpg it-was-worth-it-regular-show-21289265-500-430.jpg (160.2 KB, 201 views)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #2679
vex
Grizzled Veteran

New national poll out and has Trump at 25, Cruz and Rubio both at 21.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...onal_20416.pdf
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #2680
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
New national poll out and has Trump at 25, Cruz and Rubio both at 21.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...onal_20416.pdf

Makes sense.

Still, Nate Silver has taught us to wait to see multiple polls before we be so bold as to declare a trend.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #2681
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

That's only valid if you hang in circles that don't say that in response to everything. I'm not fancy enough to be in those circles.

Last edited by Dutch : 02-04-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #2683
corbes
College Benchwarmer

lol
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #2684
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It looks like Fiorina will be excluded from Saturday's debate in New Hampshire. The criteria was top three in Iowa, or top six in recent NH or national polling. So, while there are eight remaining candidates (I still don't count Gilmore), only seven will be on stage. It's "fair" in that ABC published the criteria and stuck to it. And Fiorina really isn't going to stay in this much longer regardless. Since her message is much more conservative, she wasn't going to catch on in New Hampshire anyway.

This week's polling shows a bump for Rubio in New Hampshire. That has to be because of his finish in Iowa. My guess is that only two of the moderate group (Rubio, Bush, Kasich, Christie) have the ability to compete in the expensive SEC primary. For now, that looks like Rubio and Kasich. Christie seems to have entirely lost his December bump. Bush isn't gaining traction, but does have money whereas Kasich does not and barely registers where he hasn't campaigned.

For Trump, the goal is simply to maintain the 20-point advantage suggested in the polls. He underperformed in Iowa, but I think that was all about blowing off the debate. He won't make that mistake again, but a poor debate performance on Saturday could hurt him.

Cruz will be shooting for third place. His politics don't play well in New Hampshire and he hasn't been there a lot. Holding on to third is actually a message of strength there.

I think the game is over for Carson and Fiorina and anyone moderate who can't reach double digits next Tuesday.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #2685
dave731
High School JV

It really sucks for us Carson supporters but I think Cruz did us in in Iowa. We still finish 4th but 3 to 4 points higher from the looks of it. I hope this "Carson done wrong" thing gains some traction to stay relevant and he can somehow position himself favorably between Trump and Cruz in this upcoming debate. Looks like another candidate declaring his campaign is over could very well mean the campaign is over.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 AM   #2686
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Carly should get her own solo kiddie table debate.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:33 AM   #2687
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
That's only valid if you hang in circles that don't say that in response to everything. I'm not fancy enough to be in those circles.

Well your mother was dirty enough for those circles...
Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 AM   #2688
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Well your mother was dirty enough for those circles...

That's better. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #2689
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
With 6 days to go before Iowa....

My thinking hasn't changed much, but here's where I am today:

1. If Trump is competitive in Iowa and wins NH then I think we can assume he wins SC & NV (where he also leads, though with less polling) because the question mark over whether his people show up at the polls will be answered.

2. If #1 happens, it's a Trump vs. Cruz race unless the "Establishment" can coalesce around Rubio before Super Tuesday, which functionally means everyone else dropping out and endorsing Rubio, and even then it looks tough.

3. If #1 doesn't happen, then it's a Cruz vs. Rubio battle, and if Trump's support (even a portion) moves to Cruz (which, to me, seems most likely), then it's over and Cruz wins.

So....................

Trump was clearly competitive in Iowa, but Rubio has walked away the big winner in the "narrative" (i.e. outperforming his polls). This has led to clear an unambiguous upticks in Rubio support in national and NH polls (aggregated).

So, two new underlying assumptions, based on Iowa:

1. You need to discount some of Trump's polling strength when translated to actual votes.

2. If there's a "silent" chunk of the GOP electorate, it looks like it might turn out for Rubio.

The other big influence right now is impacts on Cruz. There was negativity the day before and day of the Iowa caucus, and since he's not really on the radar for NH (a state, demographically, that's hostile to him), he's going to be off the radar for a couple of weeks and will clearly need a big win in SC.

Right now Trump has a 15-point lead in NH over Rubio. If that drops 5 points in 4 days (possible) and if we discount it 5 points based on the above, that makes it quite close. Plus, there's going to be a snowstorm in NH on Tuesday (Monday night into Tuesday). I'm not entirely sure who that favors.

Honestly? I think it's over and Rubio's going to be the candidate. Even if Trump manages to win NH, if Rubio gets anywhere close he keeps the "win" narrative going and if that's enough to get Bush, Christie and/or Kasich to drop and (better) endorse him, the Romney side of the party is going to coalesce around him and it's over.

Things that could stop this? Cruz does something to make himself less unlikeable and be the clear choice over Rubio for the Southeast part of the country. Or Trump somehow rebounds.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #2690
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think the Trump/Rubio dynamic is resembling the Clinton/Obama one from 2008. Big name candidate is running away in the early polls (Trump/Clinton), but the younger, more "hope" candidate beats early expectations and ends up catching fire in the eyes of primary voters. I'm still not sure where Cruz comes in on all this - it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a Gephardt/Santorum/Huckabee Iowa winner who doesn't have the legs for the duration. There's a certain type of Republican primary candidate that does well in Iowa, but lacks the appeal across the country.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #2691
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

At this point, I'd have to consider Rubio the heavy favorite to win the nomination. The questions I have remaining:

1. Will Rubio get the funding that Bush was getting? I think yes. Bush is tired of this, even if he is a better campaigner than he was. He's still clearly hating this process. Funny that the worse he does, the more I like him personally. I probably wouldn't feel that way if he were winning.

2. Will Trump learn from his mistakes? Some of them yes, some of them no.

3. Can Trump continue to dominate coverage once there's only one "moderate" left in the pool? I don't think he'll do well in that format.

4. Can Cruz recover from being disliked by just about every insider? Can he do well enough in the majority of states where his politics are too far to the right? I think the answer to both questions is no.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #2692
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I think the Trump/Rubio dynamic is resembling the Clinton/Obama one from 2008. Big name candidate is running away in the early polls (Trump/Clinton), but the younger, more "hope" candidate beats early expectations and ends up catching fire in the eyes of primary voters.

I think that's probably right, but the big difference is that President Obama was tolerable to the Dem establishment. They certainly preferred Hillary, but once the voters started showing a preference, the establishment moved out of the way.

Trump does not have that. However, the GOP primary electorate seems as anti-establishment as any I can remember (I am too young to remember McGovern, Goldwater, or Carter). That might cancel things out a bit.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #2693
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Cruz does something to make himself less unlikable

From what I'm hearing he hasn't done so in at least 25 years, not sure why he'd start now.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #2694
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So basically if Rubio wins then it's a meaningless November since that worthless bastard won't do shit even if he wins.

Why not just vote for Hillary?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #2695
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Things that could stop this? Cruz does something to make himself less unlikeable and be the clear choice over Rubio for the Southeast part of the country. Or Trump somehow rebounds.

I keep on thinking that Cruz can't do anything to make him less likeable.

But yet he keeps on finding ways that make me want to punch him in the face even harder.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #2696
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So basically if Rubio wins then it's a meaningless November since that worthless bastard won't do shit even if he wins.

Well, that's just your opinion, man.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #2697
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Why not just vote for Hillary?

Yes & no. Him winning at the very least prevents the Democrats from ruining our country even more for those 4-8 years.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 02-05-2016 at 01:17 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #2698
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is a great page that discusses how the momentum is going to shift throughout, what to expect and how each of the top 3 is going to win.

Which States Cruz, Trump and Rubio Need to Win

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-05-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #2699
QuikSand
lolzcat

really cool article
Old 02-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #2700
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Yes & no. Him winning at the very least prevents the Democrats from ruining our country even more for those 4-8 years.

ummm...have you two met?