Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #2651
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Here's one for you - Kawakami on last year's Braves. 1-10.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #2652
Ksyrup

Liriano on the 2009 Twins - 5-13, 5.80 in 136 innings.

I think this is probably not as rare as you'd imagine.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #2653
Ksyrup

Ervin Santana, 2007 Angels - 7-14, 5.76 in 150 innings
Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #2654
Ksyrup

Record is not as bad, but this one might take the cake:

2006 Cardinals (only won 84 games, remember) - Jason Marquis, 14-16 with a 6.02 in 194 innings. And also Mark Mulder - 6-7, 7.14 in 93 innings. That's nearly 290 innings at a 6.30ish ERA or so. Wow.

It's too bad the Tigers' pitchers couldn't field bunts, because this team did not deserve a title.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-22-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #2655
Ksyrup

An interesting exercise. Certainly plenty of crappy pitchers to go around.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-22-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #2656
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Ervin Santana, 2007 Angels - 7-14, 5.76 in 150 innings

I forgot about that. Ervin was so young then (I think that was just his third season, and he was really inconsistent when he was younger). That was the year Lackey and Escobar were so good. Thank God for that, not sure how we would have made the postseason otherwise.

Of course, we made it only to flame out in traditional fashion to the Red Sox again.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #2658
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At least the Natspos don't have a high loss candidate on one of their playoff teams(strike shortened bullshit seasons don't count).
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #2659
SackAttack
Head Coach

MLB sez 'nyet' to Manny playing winter ball. Something about neither serving nor contesting his 2nd PED suspension.

Maybe he can find a slow-pitch softball league somewhere that'll let him in.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #2660
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Cards up 4 heading into ninth with chance to pull within one game of wild card. So Tony LaRussa decides to stick with Motte until it gets out of control. Great job LaRussa!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #2661
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Cards up 4 heading into ninth with chance to pull within one game of wild card. So Tony LaRussa decides to stick with Motte until it gets out of control. Great job LaRussa!

Yeah, my brother texts me that we are up 6-2 then I get another text saying we are down 8-6.. WTF happened?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #2663
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Break out the brooms and boogie shoes, Nats sweep in Philthy.

Enjoy watching us in the playoffs.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 09-22-2011 at 09:09 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #2665
tarcone
Coordinator

Cards choked today. Could have gotten within one of the struggling Braves. Blew a 4 run lead in the 9th to lose 8-6.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #2666
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Enjoy watching us in the playoffs.

It's a National tradition with French roots.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #2667
molson
General Manager

Quote:
You've got 2 more years before the age/contract issues cripple you.

Then they'll just trade prospects for the good young Nats players.

Edit: It's concerning to me that they still have a tiny payroll 7 years in. Are they going to run the franchise like a small market team?

Last edited by molson : 09-22-2011 at 10:07 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #2668
Ksyrup

I think I read this right - Matt Moore is the first pitcher in the history of the world to strike out 11 Yankees in 5 or fewer innings .
Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #2669
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Break out the brooms and boogie shoes, Nats sweep in Philthy.

Please sweep the Braves!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #2670
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Cards choked today. Could have gotten within one of the struggling Braves. Blew a 4 run lead in the 9th to lose 8-6.

Furcal bobbles a double play ball...
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #2671
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I read this right - Matt Moore is the first pitcher in the history of the world to strike out 11 Yankees in 5 or fewer innings .

Best Starting debut of a young pitching prospect in decades. Unless K'ing Delwyn Young gets your dick hard.

Last edited by stevew : 09-22-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #2672
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

They need to run out Price, Shields, Hellickson, and Moore for the rest of the season.

Put Davis and Niemann in the bullpen. No more time to fuck around.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #2673
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Best Starting debut of a young pitching prospect in decades. Unless K'ing Delwyn Young gets your dick hard.

Edwin Jackson had a pretty good debut throwing a 1-hitter through 6 and beat Randy Johnson
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #2674
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"Leo Nunez"

One of the AP's sources said Nunez has been playing in the US under a falsified name, and he is actually 29 and not his listed 28. If those are true, then there is a pretty good chance Nunez does not pitch again in 2011, and it could affect his status in future seasons. Look for Steve Cishek to close for the Marlins in the seasons' waning days.

what the fuck.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #2678
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Amazing. Wouldn't it be fun if MLB decided that, since the Marlins apparently knew about this for months, the team has to forfeit any wins they picked up in games he pitched in?

And Boise State would lose 6 more scholarships

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #2679
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Amazing. Wouldn't it be fun if MLB decided that, since the Marlins apparently knew about this for months, the team has to forfeit any wins they picked up in games he pitched in?

Why would MLB care? I can see why the Marlins would be pissed, but his name and age shouldn't matter at all to MLB. Now if he got around a suspension that's a different story, but I haven't heard anything like that.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-23-2011 at 07:06 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #2680
Ksyrup

Yeah, this isn't an eligibilty issue.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #2681
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We're 7-8 against them so far, we're better at home, and they get a healthy dose of Strasburg to start the series. After Jesus beats them into submission, we slap them around with Wang on Saturday. Things should role the home teams' way.

I was hoping they would get Strasburg!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #2682
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
we slap them around with Wang on Saturday.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #2683
Ksyrup

This seems strange, but I guess it has more to do with pitch limits than anything. Usually, a pitcher this effective keeps pitching and doesn't exit after only 5 innings.

Quote:
Matt Moore is only pitcher in liveball era to strike out 11+ batters in a start that featured no runs allowed and no more than 5 IP.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #2684
Ksyrup

As if the Red Sox need any more issues, the weather this weekend could kill their pitching staff.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #2685
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

How can you kill what is already dead?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #2687
rowech
Pro Starter

Why is nobody in the press talking about the fact that Matt Kemp is one great week from winning the triple crown?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #2688
molson
General Manager

Quote:
As if the Red Sox need any more issues, the weather this weekend could kill their pitching staff.

I believe Luis Tiant may be available. Bill Lee also occasionally claims he could still pitch in the majors.

Edit: It does look like they're going to rush Clay Buchholz back and put him in Monday's game. Though probably just out of the bullpen. But I guess he could conceivably help a bit in the playoffs (should they make it, of course). And damn, as crappy as the red sox have been, the Rays really had a chance to just blow by them - they haven't been great in September and are down 5-0 tonight. A loss there would push the Sox magic number to 4, which is really a decent amount of breathing room, all things considered.

Last edited by molson : 09-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #2689
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I believe Luis Tiant may be available. Bill Lee also occasionally claims he could still pitch in the majors.

Edit: It does look like they're going to rush Clay Buchholz back and put him in Monday's game. Though probably just out of the bullpen. But I guess he could conceivably help a bit in the playoffs (should they make it, of course). And damn, as crappy as the red sox have been, the Rays really had a chance to just blow by them - they haven't been great in September and are down 5-0 tonight. A loss there would push the Sox magic number to 4, which is really a decent amount of breathing room, all things considered.
The rain could actually help us assuming Tampa/LAA don't win out - it's already pushed Lester back to where he'll be on schedule for Game 1 of the ALCS, and more losses by those two teams combined with one win Saturday could let us set up Beckett too, and rest Papelbon/Bard the last 2-3 days. It's not like any of the other pitchers matter - Buchholz and Bedard will be forced back (Buchholz terrifies me with his reported injury and the Sox medical staff's track record the past 2 years), but neither should go more than 4-5 innings, and everyone else in a playoff game is just throwing spaghetti against the wall.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #2690
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I was hoping they would get Strasburg!

Me too.

4I, 5H, 3R, 3K.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #2691
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Why is there no talk in the Boston media about the absolute shit job that the new medical staff has done over the past couple years? More fucking injuries on this team in the past few years then I've ever seen in my life. It's absurd.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #2692
Easy Mac

awesome rundown I the braves game. Bourne gets in a rundown between 2nd and 3rd. The Nats bobble it, so he goes back to 2nd. Chipper is there, and he gets in a 1st and 2nd rundown. Bourne moves to 3rd on the rundown, then takes home when no one covers.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #2693
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Why is there no talk in the Boston media about the absolute shit job that the new medical staff has done over the past couple years? More fucking injuries on this team in the past few years then I've ever seen in my life. It's absurd.

I think it has to do with less steroids and greenies.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #2694
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
awesome rundown I the braves game. Bourne gets in a rundown between 2nd and 3rd. The Nats bobble it, so he goes back to 2nd. Chipper is there, and he gets in a 1st and 2nd rundown. Bourne moves to 3rd on the rundown, then takes home when no one covers.

It was funny seeing the Nationals catcher start running after him then stopping after a few steps as he realized he'd never catch Bourne.

Soriano just hit a three run homer for the Cubs, they lead the Cardinals 4-1 now.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #2695
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rangers magic number is 1 after beating Seattle 5-3. The A's are currently ahead of the Angels 1-0 in the 4th. Evidently there are still several thousand people at the Ballpark in Arlington waiting for the end of the game in Anaheim.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #2696
SackAttack
Head Coach

Be funny if they waited two hours only to have the Angels win and the Rangers unable to clinch until tomorrow.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #2697
lungs
Pro Rookie

Brewers win the division for the first time since I was 3 months old.

Awesome. Makes the lean years a few years back a distant memory. Let's see what kind of damage they can do in the playoffs now.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #2698
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

[quote=BishopMVP;2535158]The rain could actually help us assuming Tampa/LAA don't win out - it's already pushed Lester back to where he'll be on schedule for Game 1 of the ALCS, /QUOTE]

I assume you mean ALDS not ALCS? Even me, the ultimate sox homer, think that they have a lot of work to do if they make the ALDS to make the ALCS
Old 09-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #2700
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kemp hit #35 tonight. Was hoping he'd hit 40 this year
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote