Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2024, 09:28 AM   #27151
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He was great. Funny enough, he made a joke about people from Kentucky.

We've also seen Sal (in Louisville), who to me is the more natural stand-up comedian.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 09:30 AM   #27152
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
You usually see a blackstone and a regular grill of some sort as a setup p. A blackstone is a lot more flexible for everyday cooking. Breakfast on them is outstanding. We've done pancakes, hashbrowns, eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. Dinners we've done are chicken breast, steak tacos, smash burgers. Everything cooks faster since you're typically cooking at 400-500 degrees. Assuming it's one of the 36" models, you can cook everything at the same time without dirtying pots and pans since it has 4 burners for a large cooking area.

The high temps also give an outstanding and even sear. I smoked some ribeyes a few days ago and finished them off on the blackstone and they were incredible. My son has taken an interest and has made some breakfast crunchwraps on it.

The initial work to get it seasoned well to use it the first time is also most of the work. Cleanup after a typical use is a couple minutes and then it's ready for the next use. All 3 of us have cooked with it already while I'm the only one that's used the pellet grill after 4 years of having it.

So what's the advantage over cooking it inside with pots and pans? Is it just that there is less cleanup? Or just the novelty of cooking outside and being able to do stuff you couldn't on a grill? Or is the 400-500 degree heat so much higher than you'd get with a pan that it makes it different/better? Or something else?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 09:34 AM   #27153
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm a big fan of the first two albums by the Crash Test Dummies. Never got into any albums after that, but a lot of their songs are highly rated on my playlists - Two Knights and Maidens, When I Go Out with Artists, and a few others.
Old 07-10-2024, 11:39 AM   #27154
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

"So what's the advantage over cooking it inside with pots and pans? Is it just that there is less cleanup? Or just the novelty of cooking outside and being able to do stuff you couldn't on a grill? Or is the 400-500 degree heat so much higher than you'd get with a pan that it makes it different/better? Or something else?"

Several things. First, the surface area is hard to emulate inside. Second, you need a pretty powerful vent over a large flat top like that on the inside. Third, it is a large hot surface, so it is going to heat up a kitchen pretty warm. Then you have clean up. Consider the amount of grease splatter and such that something like that gives off over even a large frying pan.
Basically several things. You can get a large metal flat-top to go over your stove (preferably a gas stove to get the heat you need) to do the same thing, or buy a big flat top if you have room and several thousand dollars. Buying one for a couple hundred bucks for the outside is much easier..

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 11:53 AM   #27155
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I think the owner of the company I work for is trying to run me off. I'm about 4th in line, but I've received some unhinged emails the past month or so. The most recent was a repeat of one I received a few weeks ago, literally about the exact same thing and how we didn't get it done... Except I did, and it's thoroughly noted in the file you just didn't listen. Even the person directly above me responded that it was done and fully noted.

I don't know if they want me to quit, but success because I'm looking for similar/better jobs. And until I find it I'm going to liberally use my sick days. I work remote and have used 1 sick day a year mainly because all it does it back up my work a day. Well fuck that. I'll do my job and take a paycheck until I can get the fuck out or quit when my wife gets that 4x pay bump she's getting next year when her company sells out. Only reason I haven't quit is because we actually need my salary so I can't afford to find the right job without still working.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 07-10-2024 at 11:53 AM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 11:54 AM   #27156
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Joe played a warm-up gig at my college last year and he was a total dick about it. He didn't want to advertise that he was playing a small college, even though he made 50k, so we weren't allowed to advertise it or show any media from the event.

I'm not sure why we didn't tell him to fuck off, but that's not my purview.
Old 07-10-2024, 08:53 PM   #27157
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Undeleted per an email request from someone. Jerk move by the OP. Removing his deletion rights…

Thanks.

Yup, what a dick move
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 10:43 AM   #27158
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Joe played a warm-up gig at my college last year and he was a total dick about it. He didn't want to advertise that he was playing a small college, even though he made 50k, so we weren't allowed to advertise it or show any media from the event.

I'm not sure why we didn't tell him to fuck off, but that's not my purview.

Interesting. My only thought is that if it was a "warm-up gig," he was basically using you guys to try out material that he wasn't sure about, and he didn't want a larger audience or any of it to get out on YT or social media in case the quality sucked and would result in some negative publicity.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-11-2024, 06:07 PM   #27159
thesloppy
Pro Starter

As my back gets worse and worse I like the idea of grocery delivery and he first time I did it an official Safeway worker showed ip in a uniform and delivered my order, which was stacked in crates on a hand truck, which made the whole process fast and smooth.

...the last two times I've tried delivery (still ordered directly via Safeway) it was fulfilled at a big, local Safeway warehouse, but it was delivered by a random, disabled DoorDash driver. The last dude literally had a broken arm in a cast, and brought up my order one plastic bag at a time.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 06:27 PM   #27160
RainMaker
General Manager

Having your credit card compromised is such a pain in the ass. Charges get removed but remembering every place you've stored your card and that nervousness of using the new one the first time I hate.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 07:36 PM   #27161
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I just had my Amazon account compromised, which is weird because I have 2FA on it.
And also weird that after two under $100 transactions, Amazon locked my account and identified that it was fraudulent. Not sure how they would recognize that. I hope the hacker enjoys their Super Mario code for Switch.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 07:57 PM   #27162
Ksyrup

Speaking of Amazon... not sure where to put this, but for those of you who have AmEx Membership Rewards points, AmEx and Amazon are offering various deals to AmEx cardholders for discounts on Amazon purchases if you use MR points as part of the payment. That means you can use as little as 1 point and get a great deal (which is what I did).

The catch is that the only eligible products are those sold AND shipped by Amazon, so not everything is eligible and you have to do a bit of trial-and-error to figure out what's eligible.

Best deal is 50% off, up to $75 (so you make at least a $150 order, and it'll cost you $75 + 1 point). There are a few other offers as well.

The link to check if you are eligible for one of these deals is in this article. I got the 50% deal and just ordered $160+ dollars worth of stuff for $93, + 1 point.

Get Up to $75 Off Amazon Purchases by Using Amex Points!
Old 07-11-2024, 09:59 PM   #27163
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Speaking of Amazon... not sure where to put this, but for those of you who have AmEx Membership Rewards points, AmEx and Amazon are offering various deals to AmEx cardholders for discounts on Amazon purchases if you use MR points as part of the payment. That means you can use as little as 1 point and get a great deal (which is what I did).

The catch is that the only eligible products are those sold AND shipped by Amazon, so not everything is eligible and you have to do a bit of trial-and-error to figure out what's eligible.

Best deal is 50% off, up to $75 (so you make at least a $150 order, and it'll cost you $75 + 1 point). There are a few other offers as well.

The link to check if you are eligible for one of these deals is in this article. I got the 50% deal and just ordered $160+ dollars worth of stuff for $93, + 1 point.

Get Up to $75 Off Amazon Purchases by Using Amex Points!

Thx for this, I wouldn't have known I had this benefit and it was relatively easy to use.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:48 AM   #27164
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Several things. First, the surface area is hard to emulate inside. Second, you need a pretty powerful vent over a large flat top like that on the inside. Third, it is a large hot surface, so it is going to heat up a kitchen pretty warm. Then you have clean up. Consider the amount of grease splatter and such that something like that gives off over even a large frying pan.
Basically several things. You can get a large metal flat-top to go over your stove (preferably a gas stove to get the heat you need) to do the same thing, or buy a big flat top if you have room and several thousand dollars. Buying one for a couple hundred bucks for the outside is much easier..

Thanks! I'm pretty much in because it seems neat, but now I have can answer the question I'll get of "how is this even grilling if it's a flat surface and why don't you just use a pan instead" when I get one.

The inspector found mold in the house that had one (fitting I guess, since the blackstone also looked clean on the outside, but once i lifted the hood, the griddle itself was pretty dirty), so we're not getting it. Probably for the best, since it was at the high end of our price range and we would have needed to do some work on it. I'm still wanting to get a blackstone though, and I'm hoping for a good deal on Prime Day.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:29 AM   #27165
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Day 5 at the beach. Been pretty good so far. Today for the first time we are having to deal with someone’s loud music on the beach. For the life of me I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to hear the waves, water, and birds but if you must play music for the love of god don’t crank it up and put it on a NEW country station. May be a good day to go exploring and eat a few meals out.

Last edited by dubb93 : 07-12-2024 at 10:30 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 11:38 AM   #27166
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I will never understand why people are so inconsiderate to blast music in a public place. Same goes for people having loud conversations on speaker phone.

I was at a bar at Cheesecake Factory earlier this year. Guy came in having a loud conversation on speaker. Sat and ate a full meal, went to the bathroom, paid, and left all one the same call in the span of about 25 minutes. Me and the bartender were cracking up about it, including the bartender questioning how he wasshed his hands.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 12:03 PM   #27167
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The few times I've been to the emergency room in recent years it was somehow full of people playing music and watching videos on their phones at full blast.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:14 PM   #27168
Ksyrup

You can't visit an airport lounge without running into several Very Important People who insist on talking business or having a conversation/bragging about where they're going/been via speakerphone.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:24 PM   #27169
RainMaker
General Manager

We have a deli downtown with a sign saying "No talking on cellphones inside. If you need to take calls here, you are too important to be eating at our deli.".
Old 07-12-2024, 03:32 PM   #27170
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
We have a deli downtown with a sign saying "No talking on cellphones inside. If you need to take calls here, you are too important to be eating at our deli.".

Is that Perry's? I know they had a policy like that, but last I knew, they were closed.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:39 PM   #27171
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Is that Perry's? I know they had a policy like that, but last I knew, they were closed.

YES! I didn't know they had closed. When I worked in the loop, I would eat there at least once a week. The sandwiches were so big you could take the other half home for dinner.

My favorite part was the guy getting on the microphone yelling at anyone on their phone.

DELI OWNER CARVES OUT A SPACE FREE OF CELL PHONES – Chicago Tribune
Old 07-12-2024, 04:56 PM   #27172
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Is "Let's Go" the only celebration Zoomers know how to do? Like anytime I watch someone under the age of 30 get excited during a sporting event, the only thing they ever shout is "Let's Go."
Old 07-12-2024, 05:07 PM   #27173
thesloppy
Pro Starter

For sure. The little ones at my work will excitedly exclaim "let's goooo!" to celebrate an agreeable lunch venue or if they find out you use the same toothpaste brand.
Old 07-12-2024, 05:12 PM   #27174
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Is "Let's Go" the only celebration Zoomers know how to do? Like anytime I watch someone under the age of 30 get excited during a sporting event, the only thing they ever shout is "Let's Go."

I thought let’s go was a Pat McAfee thing. Did he lift it from somewhere else or is he that popular everyone is shouting what he shouts?
Old 07-12-2024, 05:28 PM   #27175
thesloppy
Pro Starter

A quick internet search revealed a lot of curiosity, and some supposed answers about the origins, though I'm not sure I trust the answers/authorities (none of the questions or answers mention McAfee fwiw)

Here's someone attempting to nail the origin:

https://slate.com/human-interest/202...e-history.html
Old 07-12-2024, 05:59 PM   #27176
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

While it may have had a gendered origin, the only thing college women shout during a basketball or softball game is also Let's Go.
Old 07-12-2024, 07:52 PM   #27177
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
While it may have had a gendered origin, the only thing college women shout during a basketball or softball game is also Let's Go.

My sports nut, softball/basketball-playing daughter would say she "feels seen," I believe they say.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:00 PM   #27178
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
YES! I didn't know they had closed. When I worked in the loop, I would eat there at least once a week. The sandwiches were so big you could take the other half home for dinner.

My favorite part was the guy getting on the microphone yelling at anyone on their phone.

DELI OWNER CARVES OUT A SPACE FREE OF CELL PHONES – Chicago Tribune

I miss Perry's so much. I used to go there a lot when I worked at Monroe and Franklin and again on Wacker and Lake, but once I moved out to the suburbs I didn't get to nearly as much. Once I was started working downtown, it was at BCBS pretty much all the way to the lake. It would be a loong lunch to walk there and back, so I didn't very often.

At some point, Perry's itself closed, but you could still get anything on the menu at Pizzeria Bacci on the same block of Franklin. But then even that stopped.

I'm sure other things on the menu were good too, but I loved their corned beef so much I got it every time and never got anything else. I liked the microphone too, and I think he had some sort of buzzer also. Good times.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 07-12-2024 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:46 PM   #27179
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

awww the spammer is gone. Just when I was going "WTF???"
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 02:00 AM   #27180
Edward64
Head Coach

It was a fun break, distraction. It seemed out of character, hope he is doing okay
Old 07-13-2024, 02:10 AM   #27181
stevew
Hall Of Famer

People will blast TikTok’s in the backseat, and have incredibly insane phone calls in the back of an Uber. For the most part, I can just ignore people now but every once in a while, you’ll catch that person that is just too much. The speakerphone calls are always dumb as fuck.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 02:15 AM   #27182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

NHL players don’t tip, pro Wrestlers are pretty good. Only had 1 mlb guy and he was cool. NFL guys generally tip but also depends on where they are in the roster pecking order.
Old 07-13-2024, 09:10 AM   #27183
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
People will blast TikTok’s in the backseat, and have incredibly insane phone calls in the back of an Uber. For the most part, I can just ignore people now but every once in a while, you’ll catch that person that is just too much. The speakerphone calls are always dumb as fuck.

Do you tape the conversations like the guy in Let It Ride?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 11:58 AM   #27184
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nah. Last week with the furries would have been gold though. Mostly it’s business guys crying about compensation structures and you professionals talking about working from home while they plan their 8 “traveling” trips per summer.
Old 07-13-2024, 02:35 PM   #27185
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Well, made it until 1430 on a Saturday before someone decided to set up a loud speaker close to me today. This one is playing dance music and the speakers have quite a bit of base. They are just sitting in chairs watching the ocean. Hard to imagine a less relaxing way to enjoy the beach.

And could I move? I mean maybe if people leave for the day. We didn’t bring chairs or an umbrella. Our stay includes complimentary beach service so we basically get put up where they put our name. Especially at this point when the beach is more full.
Old 07-14-2024, 12:58 PM   #27186
Edward64
Head Coach

Moleskin has worked well for me previously. Backpacking in wet weather and now know it’s not worth crap in wet weather.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-14-2024 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:57 AM   #27187
Atocep
Coordinator

Why in the everliving fuck is it so difficult to delete a blank page at the end of a word document?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 05:48 PM   #27188
PilotMan
Head Coach

Can't you go to the last word or paragraph on the previous page and press "delete" until it disappears? Or am i thinking of the wrong thing?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 05:50 PM   #27189
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Can't you go to the last word or paragraph on the previous page and press "delete" until it disappears? Or am i thinking of the wrong thing?

That's usually the case, but for some reason not always. I had a document today that it wasn't working so I just sent it off with the blank page at the end.

You'd think there'd just be a delete page option somewhere.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 06:39 PM   #27190
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Any kind of formatting is a nightmare in Word.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:05 PM   #27191
Ksyrup

Quote:
Why in the everliving fuck is it so difficult to delete a blank page at the end of a word document?

I see your deleting a blank page at the end of a document and raise you adding spaces/lines at the top of a page where there's a table. Sometimes it's impossible to put the cursor in front of the table rather than in the first box of the table, so I just end up making a copy of the table, deleting the table out of the document, putting in the spaces/lines I need, and then reinserting the table.
Old 07-15-2024, 08:22 PM   #27192
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The best is when you spend 2 hours to get all the formatting perfect and then you have to convert it to PDF and it's all fucked up again, but in a different format.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:12 PM   #27193
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Sounded like a good question for AI so I asked.

Quote:
To delete a blank page at the end of a Word document, you can try the following steps:

1. **Check for Extra Paragraph Marks:**
- Place your cursor at the end of the document.
- Press `Backspace` or `Delete` to remove any extra paragraph marks (`¶`). You can make paragraph marks visible by pressing `Ctrl + Shift + 8` (or `Cmd + 8` on Mac).

2. **Remove Page Breaks:**
- Ensure there are no manual page breaks. If you see a page break, click on it and press `Delete`.

3. **Adjust Section Breaks:**
- If the document ends with a section break, place your cursor just before the section break and press `Delete`.

4. **Table at the End of the Document:**
- If there’s a table at the end, Word often places a paragraph mark after the table that cannot be deleted directly. Reduce the font size of the paragraph mark to 1 point, or set the paragraph spacing to 0.

By following these steps, you should be able to remove any unwanted blank pages at the end of your Word document.

Hopefully something there helps.
Old 07-15-2024, 10:52 PM   #27194
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
It was a fun break, distraction. It seemed out of character, hope he is doing okay

i wonder if he was the sniper
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2024, 10:53 AM   #27195
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I learned today that Kangaroos aren't kosher.
Old 07-19-2024, 07:50 AM   #27196
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Pouring one out for the tech bros who are having a bad day today.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-19-2024 at 09:46 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 08:04 AM   #27197
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Pouring one out for the rech bros who are having a bad day today.

I would not want to be a "rech bro" any day
Old 07-19-2024, 09:32 AM   #27198
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

My wife said their Epic is working for their clinics, but most are down nationwide, so don't go to the doctor. But their HR/payroll is down so at least people don't get paid on Fridays.

How is 1 company most people have never heard of responsible for like most of the world's infrastructure?
Old 07-19-2024, 11:21 AM   #27199
HerRealName
College Prospect

Can you imagine being the person at Crowdstrike that updated a file and crashed the globe? That has to be a wild experience.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 11:26 AM   #27200
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Pouring one out for the tech bros who are having a bad day today.

And how.

There's a reason I left IT over 20 years ago. Nothing created greater anxiety for me than showing up on morning finding out that there's some sort of inexplicable technical problem and it's my job to figure it out.

I'll take managing people (even more inexplicable, but somehow less anxiety-generating for me) any day.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote