Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #2701
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
About the only tactical error the PAC-10 made was probably offering Colorado so quickly, but it was probably also important to make sure Baylor didn't come in the package deal. If Tech caves and heads to the PAC-10, the deal is off and we would have welcomed Texas to the PAC-10.

Next year I guess
If Tech caved and went to the PAC-10 on their own, separate from the package deal, that would have freed Texas to pursue whatever deal was in their best interests as an individual school which would have almost certainly been the Big Ten. I'm sure Pac-10 knows that and so there is no way they'd offer Tech or OSU (or probably even OU) admittance separate from the package deal. Tech can hold out and be the last to agree to the revamped Big-12 and pretend they have a choice in this, but they really don't.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #2702
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
If I'm running the Pac Ten, I would be checking with Kansas first. Scott played his hand, might as well see it through. If he gets Kansas, frustrated with this idiotic new revenue-sharing plan, dominoes may fall again. And this time he's not saddled with the tech problem.

The reason Scott acted when he did is because in Conference Armageddon, the only really great scenario for the Pac Ten includes Texas. The SEC and the Big Ten can reach 16 without as much worry.

However, I'm still not certain 16 is manageable for a conference.

Agreed. I'd like to see Scott make a run at Kansas and see if he can get the dominoes moving again.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #2703
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
If I'm running the Pac Ten, I would be checking with Kansas first. Scott played his hand, might as well see it through. If he gets Kansas, frustrated with this idiotic new revenue-sharing plan, dominoes may fall again. And this time he's not saddled with the tech problem.

The reason Scott acted when he did is because in Conference Armageddon, the only really great scenario for the Pac Ten includes Texas. The SEC and the Big Ten can reach 16 without as much worry.

I agree with this. If I'm the Pac-10, I'd offer Kansas over Utah and try to de-stabilize the Big-12 before they finalize their deal.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #2704
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I agree with this. If I'm the Pac-10, I'd offer Kansas over Utah and try to de-stabilize the Big-12 before they finalize their deal.
Works for me.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #2705
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
If Tech caved and went to the PAC-10 on their own, separate from the package deal, that would have freed Texas to pursue whatever deal was in their best interests as an individual school which would have almost certainly been the Big Ten. I'm sure Pac-10 knows that and so there is no way they'd offer Tech or OSU (or probably even OU) admittance separate from the package deal. Tech can hold out and be the last to agree to the revamped Big-12 and pretend they have a choice in this, but they really don't.

Do we even know if Texas wants to be in the Big-10?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #2706
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They probably would've preferred the Pac-16 given the division they'd be playing in - geographically it would've worked out better for them as well as maintaining a few old rivalries. I would guess that while Texas would love to be associated with the Big Ten from an academic perspective, the Pac-16 would've worked out better logistically, and is hardly a step down (if at all) from the Big Ten academically to boot.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #2707
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't suppose there's any scenario that works out well for KU, KSU, ISU, Mizzou, and Baylor while simultaneously really screwing Texas and to a lesser extend OU and A&M? That's how a just world would work.

Yeah, didn't think so. Oh well.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-15-2010 at 07:19 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #2708
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:

I assume they like money and the big ten can offer a lot more of it (especially if you assume UT also gets ND to join). They also fit the big ten profile pretty well and like the reseach/academic affiliation. Finally they tried to join when the SWC collapsed and were rebuffed so there is some precedent.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #2709
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Good idea.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #2710
Arles
Grey Dog Software

There's no way Texas ever joins the Big 10. They pretty much have to play OU each year and there's no way the Texas government would allow them to play neither Tech or A&M in football. So, in the big 10, they would have to use 2 non-conf slots on OU and either Tech/A&M. That would be in addition to facing a subset of OSU, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and maybe even Notre Dame.

I don't care how good you are, playing a schedule with OU, Tech and 4-5 big 10 strong teams would be almost impossible to run the table on.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #2711
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm still pretty convinced that no one in the Big 12 really wants to go to the Pac 10, even a school like Kansas that could get a pretty big revenue bump.

The time difference is an absolute killer for sports, especially college sports. You're pushing the envelop to start a KU basketball game at 8pm, and no way will KU at Washington start at 6pm Pacific time. Too many games would start too late, and that would be a killer for other streams of revenue. And I'm sure the Pac 10 teams would love those basketball games at KU starting at 5pm local time.

We've all talked about the East Coast bias in subjects like awards because the East Coast sees too few West Coast games. Midwest is just the same. Our local media barely covers the Royals and even the Cardinals when they play on the West Coast because the games are too late.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #2712
MrBug708
Head Coach

Unfortunately, any deal to the PAC-10 would center around football. The other sports, while vital in one way or another, wouldnt be a concern.

My brother and I were just talking about this today though. Dont know how you can be a sports fan when west coast games start at 10 pm local time back east
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #2713
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Unfortunately, any deal to the PAC-10 would center around football. The other sports, while vital in one way or another, wouldnt be a concern.

My brother and I were just talking about this today though. Dont know how you can be a sports fan when west coast games start at 10 pm local time back east

Imagine being a Red Wings fan during playoff runs.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #2714
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, on the flip side I could not watch football at 9 or 10 am.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #2715
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

No? When we tailgate out here, Im usually at the Rose Bowl at 7am and meat on the grill by 745

Must be a regional thing
Old 06-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #2716
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

I always thought Central had the best football times: noon-3, 3-6, and then 7-10.

SI

Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #2717
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I'm still pretty convinced that no one in the Big 12 really wants to go to the Pac 10, even a school like Kansas that could get a pretty big revenue bump.

The time difference is an absolute killer for sports, especially college sports. You're pushing the envelop to start a KU basketball game at 8pm, and no way will KU at Washington start at 6pm Pacific time. Too many games would start too late, and that would be a killer for other streams of revenue. And I'm sure the Pac 10 teams would love those basketball games at KU starting at 5pm local time.

We've all talked about the East Coast bias in subjects like awards because the East Coast sees too few West Coast games. Midwest is just the same. Our local media barely covers the Royals and even the Cardinals when they play on the West Coast because the games are too late.

Remember though that the Pac conference was offering a division format which means half the conference would play in CST/MST while the other half plays in PST. The majority of the conference games would be played in your division/time zone. It's similar to the setup had the Pac and Big 12 brokered a network alliance.

Now if Kansas were to go to the Pac on their own then you're right. It would be a struggle and probably doesn't make a lot of sense. That's where the Pac would have to really push to break the Big 12 apart.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 06-16-2010 at 12:15 AM.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #2718
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I assume they like money and the big ten can offer a lot more of it (especially if you assume UT also gets ND to join). They also fit the big ten profile pretty well and like the reseach/academic affiliation. Finally they tried to join when the SWC collapsed and were rebuffed so there is some precedent.

Well, based on the reports that were out there for the Pac 16, it seems like the money was projected to be at least somewhat comparable actually. The Pac 10, of course, values academics and research the same way the Big 10 does, so that doesn't really make a difference between the two. And supposedly, Texas also looked to possibly join the Pac 10 back then (when the SWC was breaking up).

What the Pac 10 offers that the Big Ten could not is also bringing over Tech and OU, keeping rivals in-conference and not eating up non-conf games for those rivalries; a much more reasonable regional range with the division split for travel costs for all sports; a more powerful position in the conference structure; and stronger recruiting ties in another of three primary football recruiting hotbeds in California (along with Texas, which UT already dominates, and Florida).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #2719
RedKingGold
College Starter

The Big Ten will not expand again so long as Delaney is commissioner unless:

(1) Notre Dame is ready and willing to join; or
(2) Conference Anarchy occurs and it looks certain several other conferences will all go to 16.

Other than that, the Missouri's, Syracuse's, and Rutger's of the world are stuck in their pithy conferences.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #2720
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Other than that, the Missouri's, Syracuse's, and Rutger's of the world are stuck in their pithy conferences.

I don't know if you've read this entire thread or not, but I've got it on good authority from MBBF that Missouri has a deal on the table from the Big Ten.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #2721
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
The Big Ten will not expand again so long as Delaney is commissioner unless:

(1) Notre Dame is ready and willing to join; or
(2) Conference Anarchy occurs and it looks certain several other conferences will all go to 16.

And this assessment is different from 3 months ago how?

This is the way it always was. They hoped to trigger that move and it didn't happen, so they sit back and wait a year or two.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #2722
whomario
Pro Starter

Pardon my ignorance and lack of endurance going through the topic, but this will all be in effect in 2011 and not this upcoming season, right ? And it´s school changing conferences or teams changing ? (does it affect basketball as well f.e. ?)
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #2723
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Pardon my ignorance and lack of endurance going through the topic, but this will all be in effect in 2011 and not this upcoming season, right ? And it´s school changing conferences or teams changing ? (does it affect basketball as well f.e. ?)

The entire school is moving. The teams would like it to happen next year, but no firm agreement yet.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #2724
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's an interesting, way outside the box, proposal for Conference Armageddon. Emulate the promotion/relegations system of soccer in Europe.

What the English Premier League Can Teach College Football - WSJ.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #2725
MJ4H
Coordinator

YES PLEASE ^^^
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #2726
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Four frenzied days saved the Big 12 from demise - KansasCity.com

Quote:
When Beebe and his crew turned out the lights in Room 516, they hadn’t just saved the Big 12 Conference. The creation of a 16-team Pac-10 would have been the first domino ushering in the era of the superconference and the end of college sports as we know it. The Big Ten and SEC would have had to expand — this is a competitive game, after all — and that would have likely left other conferences to live through the Big 12’s experience.

On Tuesday morning, the Big 12 office received 20 red and white roses. The card read “unity.” It was from the Big East Conference.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #2727
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here comes the next rumors of possible realignment, mostly centered around the Big 12's two open spots.

SEC officials worried that Hogs will be the next target for the Big 12...........

Scarbinsky: SEC insiders concerned that Big 12 may target Arkansas | al.com

Jerry Jones driving force behind possible move of Arkansas and Notre Dame to Big 12........

Notre Dame, Arkansas: Come on Down / LJWorld.com

Memphis, TCU, and Houston also possible Big 12 targets.........

Hot Corner: Might the next dominos hit C-USA? | al.com
Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #2728
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Stupid. I love the Big East but I think going to a superconference system would be an improvement.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #2729
rjolley
College Starter

So, Notre Dame wouldn't join the Big Ten, but they'd join the Big 12?

Ok, I've heard a ton of different moves for conference realignment and that one is the only one that makes no sense whatsoever.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #2730
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Here comes the next rumors of possible realignment, mostly centered around the Big 12's two open spots.

Jerry Jones driving force behind possible move of Arkansas and Notre Dame to Big 12........

Notre Dame, Arkansas: Come on Down / LJWorld.com
Hahahahaha. I thought MBBF linked to some ridiculous rumors before, but this one tops them all.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #2731
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Utah has scheduled a 1 PM presser for tomorrow. The assumption is that it will be to announce they are joining the Pac-12.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #2732
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I figured this would happen once the PAC-16 failed.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #2733
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I know a lot of people say the Pac-10 is a loser in this, but they swung for the fences and when they missed on that, they added a strong market in Denver. I know that Colorado has a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar but it is still a very good TV market. Adding Utah should help the conference's SOS in football, assuming that they can build on the last few year's of success.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-16-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #2734
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Four frenzied days saved the Big 12 from demise - KansasCity.com

Quote:
When Beebe and his crew turned out the lights in Room 516, they hadn’t just saved the Big 12 Conference. The creation of a 16-team Pac-10 would have been the first domino ushering in the era of the superconference and the end of college sports as we know it. The Big Ten and SEC would have had to expand — this is a competitive game, after all — and that would have likely left other conferences to live through the Big 12’s experience.

On Tuesday morning, the Big 12 office received 20 red and white roses. The card read “unity.” It was from the Big East Non-Football Schools and Notre Dame.

Fixed.

And by the way, where the hell was this gang of ADs and influential folks (who saved the Big 12) when the Big East got raided?
Fixed.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #2735
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Hahahahaha. I thought MBBF linked to some ridiculous rumors before, but this one tops them all.

Yep. Not happening. We've been laughing at the idea since these articles started circulating. Awful idea. If our administration ever even looked like they were considering it, there would be riots.

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-16-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #2736
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Utah has scheduled a 1 PM presser for tomorrow. The assumption is that it will be to announce they are joining the Pac-12.

Chances are, regardless of the time...I will probably be in the drunk guy thread bitching about this...
Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #2737
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It's hard for me to believe anyone would look at the Big XII-2 and think, "now there's a conference my school should join."
Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #2738
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I know a lot of people say the Pac-10 is a loser in this, but they swung for the fences and when they missed on that, they added a strong market in Denver. I know that Colorado has a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar but it is still a very good TV market. Adding Utah should help the conference's SOS in football, assuming that they can build on the last few year's of success.

At least Utah can get to the Las Vegas bowl year in and year out...
Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #2739
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
It's hard for me to believe anyone would look at the Big XII-2 and think, "now there's a conference my school should join."

this
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #2740
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post

Now we see what Texas's master plan has been all along

SI

Old 06-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #2741
MJ4H
Coordinator

Nebraska and Colorado now say they aren't paying the big 12 a dime since they helped the conference out when leaving, citing tv contract numbers.

haha this should be fun.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #2742
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Nebraska and Colorado now say they aren't paying the big 12 a dime since they helped the conference out when leaving, citing tv contract numbers.

haha this should be fun.
That actually could be a realistic argument. The fact that the Big 12 has already stated they are losing less per team because Colorado left (low performer by revenue) and the Big 12's new TV contract makes the idea that the Big 12-2 is "worse off" without Colorado a tough sell.

Still, it sounds like it's a contract item and will be pretty tough to not pay. Either way, the Pac-10 has already said they would help with the payment. So, it's no big deal.

Last edited by Arles : 06-16-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #2743
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes. I think this is a brilliant development.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #2744
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Great read from Chip Brown:

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094753
Old 06-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #2745
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
What makes you think CU is even a top half basketball team in the Pac 10? As an ASU fan, i would put ASU, UofA, UW, Stanford, Cal, and maybe UCLA or WSU ahead of CU in terms of where I project them to finish next season. Im sorry, but i dont see CU getting a winning record in the Pac 10 either.

CU is NOT a top of the line basketball program.

Next year they'll be good. . .

Why? Well, you have the freshman of the year in the Big 12 in Alec Burks coming back. Hell, you have almost everyone coming back. (they lost a 7.5 point a game scorer) What did they do last year?

15-16 with 7 losses of 6 points or less. (which included Gonzaga, Kansas and Kansas St.)

CU goes in cycles with its basketball program. A few decent years (usually with one in the tourney), a few garbage years, rinse, repeat. Next year will be one of the decent years. I'll predict now they'll go to the NCAA tourney. I'd be pretty stunned to see a downturn considering how young they were last year and with their best players all coming back. I'd guess .500 in the Big12 (4 of those wins will come vs. Iowa St. and Nebraska, they'll get four more home wins for sure) I think we are looking at a 20-10 type of year with a first round loss in the tourney.

It's written down, you can come back to it and make fun if you like.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #2746
Galaxy
Coordinator

I still don't see how the "Little 7" in the Big 12 will like the revenue-sharing plan in long-run.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #2747
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Fuck....

It's official...

Pac-10 Extends Invitation to the University of Utah - PAC-10 OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

To the team up north...FUCK OFF!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #2748
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Fairly big news today. The club of 66 becomes 67. The Pac Ten has extended an invitation to Utah. This is the first actual BCS in-or-out change we've had through all of these discussions.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #2749
molson
General Manager

I guess that will at least shut Orrin Hatch up...
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #2750
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

If he's right (and he seems to have good sources), the Pac Ten truly screwed up by thinking it could break up Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. They would have been fine with Baylor.

I think this is the right result in the long run, though (when CA does take place). If the Pac Ten extends too far to the east, the Mountain West will end up crashing the big party, which will wind up diluting the other conferences.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote