Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2024, 03:10 PM   #2751
cuervo72
Head Coach

Old 08-06-2024, 03:18 PM   #2752
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

There is also a claim of "stolen valor" buzzing, because Walz retired as a CSM, but he is being paid in retirement as SM. That's because you have to be in rank for so long to get the full retirement at pay scale. My friend retired as a Senior Chief in the Navy, but is only getting paid in retirement at the Chief rate. He is still recognize as a Senior Chief because he earned the rank.
In Walz's case, he received the rank but retired before he finished required course work.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 03:30 PM   #2753
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I will need to hear Walz's position on couches before I'm certain what to make of this.

It's a VP battle between couches and coaches.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 04:45 PM   #2754
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think trump will replace vance by the end of the week
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 04:45 PM   #2755
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Add tamponTim to the attacks.

I'm sure attacking him for putting free feminine hygiene products in schools will help with that gender gap.

They are obsessed with children's genitals. It's all they can think about.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 04:47 PM   #2756
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
It's a VP battle between couches and coaches.

They should have him do a bunch of sports podcasts and just talk football.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 04:56 PM   #2757
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
It works because they ARE weird. Flying flags, wearing Trump gear, talking about off the wall shit, making your entire identity about one man, etc...comes across are very weird to most people.

Let's ask Obama how weird it is for people to make their identity about one man. Flying flags is definitely not very weird to most people; I wish it was a lot weirder in perception than it is and there was a lot less patriotism, but that's not the country we live in.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 05:00 PM   #2758
GrantDawg

Trump is going completely nuts on Truth Social. He is wish-casting that people are calling for Biden to come back and run. Literally no one but him is.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-06-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2024, 05:02 PM   #2759
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Here's hoping he continues to melt down, and gives people an even clearer choice.
Old 08-06-2024, 05:13 PM   #2760
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This one is good.

Tim Walz changed the state flag to look more like Somalia.
Old 08-06-2024, 05:15 PM   #2761
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I can't believe this fine specimen of a human being was arrested for making threats against Kamala Harris among other people.
Old 08-06-2024, 05:22 PM   #2762
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

just....wow. (Yes, this is real.)

Old 08-06-2024, 05:24 PM   #2763
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

Yikes. It sucks that there are never any repercussions for his deranged rants.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 05:30 PM   #2764
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

“What are the chances that . . . “

I’d guess low.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 05:35 PM   #2765
Jas_lov
College Starter

I think I saw that Trump only has one campaign event this week in Montana. Maybe his staff know he's become unhinged. And Vance going to the battleground states with a Kamala sign behind him isn't going to help. What a disaster.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 06:01 PM   #2766
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Heck, it’s sort of reminds me of what went through my head at 15. “And then she’ll break up with him, and then she’ll want to start dating me. And then he’ll get mad and challenge me to a FIGHT. And I’ll kick his ass, and everyone’s gonna see it and . . . “
Old 08-06-2024, 06:14 PM   #2767
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Heck, it’s sort of reminds me of what went through my head at 15. “And then she’ll break up with him, and then she’ll want to start dating me. And then he’ll get mad and challenge me to a FIGHT. And I’ll kick his ass, and everyone’s gonna see it and . . . “

This all actually happened to me....I mean, not dating the hot chick, or winning the fight, or being popular stuff, but the fantasizing about it part.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 06:22 PM   #2768
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Kamabla is absolutely THEE worst nickname he has come up with. I'd just assume it was a typo if he hadn't used it repeatedly. Sad. Low energy.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 06:24 PM   #2769
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Kamabla is absolutely THEE worst nickname he has come up with. I'd just assume it was a typo if he hadn't used it repeatedly. Sad. Low energy.

Well, he can't call her what he really wants to call her.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 06:55 PM   #2770
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm not even sure I understand the put-down with Kamabla he's going for. One article I read said it was a dig at her Indian heritage. Is that it?

First I thought maybe it was a dig at her being half-black (bla). Then I thought maybe he was going for "blah." Then I thought it was another bit of GOP projection and insinuating some sort of NAMBLA connection with Dems.

Any way you slice it, it's pretty stupid, even for Trump.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 07:01 PM   #2771
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
It will be fascinating. Walz's record is liberal, but he presents as a moderate/conservative Dem.

So, basically the anti-Fetterman.

Quote:
Harris is betting that low-information conservative-leaning voters in the Midwest are going to respond more to his vibes than his record.

It's already worked on Joe Manchin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I know we still have Menards in my area.

They're all over Chicagoland. I go to my nearest one all the time. My wife calls it my happy place and I don't correct her on that.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 07:07 PM   #2772
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've never been to a place where I can buy a 2x4, cat litter and a gallon of milk. I wish they had built one close to me rather than in Richmond - although my younger duaghter just moved into an apartment as school is starting back that is almost directly across the street from this new one, so we'll have plenty of chances to go.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-06-2024 at 07:08 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 07:26 PM   #2773
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

JV Vance is a brutal nickname.
Old 08-06-2024, 07:48 PM   #2774
Thomkal
Head Coach

first impressions of Walz, who I knew almost nothing about other than the photo of him signing the free breakfast/lunch for kids bill with all the kids around him are generally good-seems like a solid midwestern Democrat, loved that he was a social studies teacher like I was, had a few understandably nervous moments and tells which i would like to see him work on during these next 90+ days of the campaign but he didn't mispronounce or otherwise get names wrong, seemed with it and in the moment, like how he made sure to mention his main competitor for the job Shapiro and I think won't be as much of an attack dog as Shapiro would have been which is a good thing for the campaign I think.
Old 08-06-2024, 08:51 PM   #2775
bronconick
College Starter

Tim Walz Will Debate JD Vance If He'll 'Get Off the Couch'

Quote:
Walz, the governor of Minnesota, also got the packed arena laughing with a reference to a meme about Vance having relations with a couch.

“I can’t wait to debate the guy,” Walz said. “That is, if he’s willing to get off the couch and show up.”

Savage.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 08:51 PM   #2776
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Walz makes Kamala look a lot younger whereas Shapiro probably makes her look considerably older.

Otherwise I’m Counting down the days until Shapiro can primary Fetterman
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 08:52 PM   #2777
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I can't believe this fine specimen of a human being was arrested for making threats against Kamala Harris among other people.

Looks like a Bill Hader SNL character.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 09:34 PM   #2778
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Shapiro is such a good speaker he'd be too likely to outshine Harris.
Old 08-06-2024, 09:38 PM   #2779
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Anyone else surprised that Hilary Clinton did not make the list? I would have thought Hillary would be a guarantee mention on any Trump listing of the Lunatic Left.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 09:44 PM   #2780
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Really good talk Walz did at the annual ESRI GIS conference in San Diego in July. Definitely a map geek and a teacher at heart.

Walz at ESRI Conference in July
Old 08-07-2024, 12:49 AM   #2781
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

A sad reminder of where things are: Michigan Senate Republican primary, integrity was on the ballot but soundly defeated. Trump-endorsed Mike Rogers won with 63% of the vote, Justin Amash got 16%. Rogers unfortunately appears to be promoting the usual 'red meat' nonsense across multiple issues. This result isn't a surprise, but did provide a chance a candidate I could feel good about voting for. So much for that; it'll be another 'which one is least bad' election to replace Stabenow.
Old 08-07-2024, 01:10 AM   #2782
Izulde
Head Coach

Walz is very much a Great Lakers Midwesterner in sensibility, manner of speaking, and life story. He reminds me of a *lot* of people I've known in Wisconsin and Minnesota (including myself I suppose ). I'm not saying he'll change enough votes to nab Wisconsin and Michigan, but it sure doesn't hurt. And I could see even some rural voters in those areas at least give serious consideration to possibly voting for Kamala because he's on the ticket.

It's frankly an inspired pick and except for Illinois and if you consider Ohio part of the region (I don't - to me Ohio is Rust Belt), the Great Lakes haven't been represented in either the Presidency or the Vice Presidency (and I consider Reagan to be a Californian despite being born in Illinois).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 01:47 AM   #2783
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Tim Walz was my Representative and is my Governor and I like him and I like Minnesota and think and feel that it is well-run here.

It is pretty common among people I know to take pictures with him and post them on Facebook to the assumption that there will be lots of likes and whatnot.

I do live in a pretty educated left bubble, though.

Last edited by Front Office Midget : 08-07-2024 at 01:52 AM.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 02:25 AM   #2784
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'll just say it feels super-weird to me as someone who has lived within an hour or two of a Great Lake my whole life to put Ohio in the Rust Belt. I've never considered it as anything other than a member of the Great Lakes/Midwest region and it doesn't really make sense to me there.
Old 08-07-2024, 06:31 AM   #2785
HerRealName
College Prospect

I'm enjoying the Republican dissonance over Harris only being selected due to her identity, Shapiro only being passed over due to his identity, and that their opponents are the ones obsessed over identity.
Old 08-07-2024, 06:44 AM   #2786
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My developing Grand Unified Theory of Walz and why he was the right choice:

Walz is heterosexual, white, male, non-Ivy educated, from rural Nebraska, a veteran (non-commissioned), a hunter, a fisherman, a meat eater, and a former football coach. He is the exact sort of person that the GOP and the media have been telling us has no place in the Democratic party. Democrats are supposed to consider people like him deplorable, right?

But they don't. Democrats LOVE this guy. They embrace this guy. Hell, it is the far left that pushed him over the finish line. He was popular enough to be elected governor of Minnesota as a Democrat. It's hard to look at Walz and continue to believe the lies about Democrat elitism.

And then he takes the next step. His acceptance within the Democratic party raises the question--if it isn't rural blue collar identity that makes Democrats reluctant to support the GOP, then what does? It's the weirdness. It's the focus on kids' genitals. It's wanting to criminalize IVF. It's rooting for Russia over Ukraine. Etc.

Walz helps tie all the messaging together.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-07-2024 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 06:55 AM   #2787
GrantDawg

Quote:
My developing Grand Unified Theory of Walz and why he was the right choice:

Walz is heterosexual, white, male, non-Ivy educated, from rural Nebraska, a veteran, a hunter, a fisherman, a meat eater, and a former football coach. He is the exact sort of person that the GOP and the media have been telling us has no place in the Democratic party. Democrats are supposed to consider people like him deplorable, right?

But they don't. Democrats LOVE this guy. They embrace this guy. Hell, it is the far left that pushed him over the finish line. He was popular enough to be elected governor of Minnesota as a Democrat. It's hard to look at Walz and continue to believe the lies about Democrat elitism.

And then he takes the next step. His acceptance within the Democratic party raises the question--if it isn't rural blue collar identity that makes Democrats reluctant to support the GOP, then what does? It's the weirdness. It's the focus on kids' genitals. It's wanting to criminalize IVF. It's rooting for Russia over Ukraine. Etc.

Walz helps tie all the messaging together.

My favorite comment about him? He is everyone's dad before they lost him to Fox News.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-07-2024 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 08:12 AM   #2788
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Let's ask Obama how weird it is for people to make their identity about one man. Flying flags is definitely not very weird to most people; I wish it was a lot weirder in perception than it is and there was a lot less patriotism, but that's not the country we live in.

FlAgS aReN't WeIrD

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 08:18 AM   #2789
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I thought it'd be Shapiro but I'm fine with Walz.

Shapiro is good but maybe too polished that it would've come off disingenuous to certain people. Walz is more approachable. I could see Walz call Trump and Vance on their shit directly whereas Shapiro might try to high road it and look weak because of it.

I also think that having a California presidential candidate who is also tied to Washington DC and then a VP who is East Coast could've alienated the fly overs who already feel that their way of life is ignored or mocked. Walz is directly Midwest thus giving multiple states that always seem ignored some stake.

I also think it stuns Repubs/MAGATs again that in the political world there isn't the backbiting (visible) that normally infests campaigns. It's all been very on the level, as I think the majority of Democrats understand the stakes and are trying to stay unified.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 09:10 AM   #2790
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

It's not the American flags that are weird. It's the Trump flags next to it and the "Fuck Joe Biden" flags on the other side.

A normal person does not hang a flag outside their house that says "Fuck Joe Biden" in plain view on a suburban street. If your pickup truck has two flags at the back and one is the American flag and the other says Trump and you have a decal on your back window that says Let's Go Brandon am I supposed to take you seriously?

These are the people that you would drive past when you were a kid and your parents would tell you how crazy or awful people they were. Now your parents are electing them.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 10:16 AM   #2791
GrantDawg

Old 08-07-2024, 11:24 AM   #2792
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

There is no question that there has been a noticeable shift in the polls since Biden withdrew. There have been five national polls released in the month of August, and all five have Harris leading nationally. Although the popular vote does not decide the election, trends in the polling are valuable to assess momentum. She will almost certainly get some kind of an additional bounce (maybe very small) after the Democratic convention.

So, Harris is a slight favorite right now, which is pretty remarkable when you consider that Biden was definitely trailing and falling even further behind before he withdrew from the race.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 11:32 AM   #2793
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The cold water version of that, for the Dems, is that everything they are touching turns to gold right now and everything the GOP is touching turns to weird, and Kamala still only has a very slight lead.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:33 AM   #2794
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wonder if there is a section of people who a never Trumpers, but also couldn't see electing Biden, were going 3rd party until Kamala took over.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:40 AM   #2795
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I wonder if there is a section of people who a never Trumpers, but also couldn't see electing Biden, were going 3rd party until Kamala took over.

More likely was people staying home or even leaving the Presidential vote blank.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:44 AM   #2796
GrantDawg

Dola: I do think it is interesting that someone who helped in the VP selection said Walz's main selling point was the he had no ambition to actually be President. Not only does it make him a Harry Truman like figure, it suggests Harris wasn't interested in crowning the heir apparent.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:51 AM   #2797
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
More likely was people staying home or even leaving the Presidential vote blank.

For sure. It is why Trump is always so vulnerable. He has his base but his ceiling is very low. If the dems drive turn out they can't lose.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:58 AM   #2798
HerRealName
College Prospect

I know Kennedy is just there to soak up right leaning voters that don't want to vote for Trump but it's amazing that anyone would support that psycho.
Old 08-07-2024, 12:00 PM   #2799
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Dola: I do think it is interesting that someone who helped in the VP selection said Walz's main selling point was the he had no ambition to actually be President. Not only does it make him a Harry Truman like figure, it suggests Harris wasn't interested in crowning the heir apparent.

Only if that were a significant priority of she picked Walz - which I doubt.

Edit: To be clear, that sounds like pure BS - not questioning you at all.

Last edited by HerRealName : 08-07-2024 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2024, 12:05 PM   #2800
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Only if that were a significant priority of she picked Walz - which I doubt.

Edit: To be clear, that sounds like pure BS - not questioning you at all.
That is literally what the person said it was.