Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #2751
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have all of the pieces and my team is finally clicking in the Austrian Premier league. Halfway through we are a strong #2. My players are playing well together and we are scoring tons of goals.

Whew!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #2752
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok so with this game, can you pick the level of detail you participate in? Like, can I only control the match-level managing aspect or the bigger "GM" aspect? Or can I only control the team I pick and not the youth leagues under it?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #2753
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Ok so with this game, can you pick the level of detail you participate in? Like, can I only control the match-level managing aspect or the bigger "GM" aspect? Or can I only control the team I pick and not the youth leagues under it?

Not exactly. You can delegate certain things to assistant coaches (training, youth teams) and they'll be hands off (aside from assigning people to training schedules based on their positions. You can also get recommended formations at the beginning of the season from your assistant manager and click one button to go with them. You can get recommended squad selections from your assistant manager before every game with a click (in fact this is something that i as an experienced player still do - i'll take his recommendations and then tweak them based on player's recent performance). You can't leave signing of free agents or buying of players from other clubs to a "GM AI" though.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #2754
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Ugh, I wish I could go back and never have the latest patch installed. This is the first FM game where I'm constantly being annoyed by bugs. The latest one is where I make an offer, they ask for more, I accept the demands, offer the contract, then the game forces me to go back to the initial offer, and the only way I can advance is by withdrawing the offer.

Last edited by illinifan999 : 06-28-2010 at 01:12 PM.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #2755
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont understand what the issue is?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #2756
MikeVic
Head Coach

How are new people put in the game? Randoms in the lowest youth squad teams?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #2757
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Ugh, I wish I could go back and never have the latest patch installed. This is the first FM game where I'm constantly being annoyed by bugs. The latest one is where I make an offer, they ask for more, I accept the demands, offer the contract, then the game forces me to go back to the initial offer, and the only way I can advance is by withdrawing the offer.

wow - i've never seen that!!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #2758
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
How are new people put in the game? Randoms in the lowest youth squad teams?

Yes, but not truly random. They are regens to keep the game world reasonably constant - for example an American player with a certain Potential Ability retires, the next season there will be a player generated in a youth squad somewhere with the same nationality and PA to "replace" him. At least this is my understanding of how it used to work, it may have changed.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #2759
MJ4H
Coordinator

That's one of the things that really needs to be changed about the game. That's terrible.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #2760
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I thought they made the regens more random a couple of iterations ago, I could be wrong though.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #2761
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I dont understand what the issue is?

Nevermind, I see the issue
Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #2762
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I thought they made the regens more random a couple of iterations ago, I could be wrong though.

No, they are mostly random
Old 06-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #2763
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post

Show this to Marc.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #2764
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Regens were changed a couple of versions back. Marc confirmed this earlier in the thread IIRC.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #2765
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yep.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #2766
MJ4H
Coordinator

changed how
Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #2767
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Regens were changed a couple of versions back. Marc confirmed this earlier in the thread IIRC.

Cool. It was probably me that was corrected that time as well
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #2768
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
changed how

There is now no correlation between retiring players and regens, newly created players are now entirely unique and in no way tied to previous players. So the word regen itself is no longer applicable in its strictest sense, but the vernacular has stuck.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #2769
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

they're "newgens" now
Old 06-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #2770
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's one of the things that really needs to be changed about the game. That's terrible.

huh?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #2771
MJ4H
Coordinator

What do you mean huh
Old 06-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #2772
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

I believe that it's no longer the case.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #2773
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What do you mean huh

Not sure what you're talking about that needs to be changed.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #2774
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Pretty sure he was referring to the old regen method.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #2775
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Not sure what you're talking about that needs to be changed.

The regeneration method being described in the post right above mine. Was terrible. Good news that it is apparently different now, though I would like to see details about that, if anyone can provide.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #2776
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's all random (or appears mostly all random). I'd done a lot of save and reloads before the appearances of newgens and I cant seem to find any specific method to it. Depends a lot on the leagues you have selected. I would imagine that in some of the bigger games (like Abe's), you would have a lot of newgens for each country so that they can have players in-game and doesnt find a shortage of specific nationality based leagues. You would also have random odd countries with newgens. In one of my Dutch games, I managed to sign a great 16 year old Cypriot player who went on to be one of the best players in the game (for another team sadly) but he was only one of 3 players on the national team for his country.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #2777
MikeVic
Head Coach

Doesn't Steam have sales on this game sometimes?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #2778
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The regeneration method being described in the post right above mine. Was terrible. Good news that it is apparently different now, though I would like to see details about that, if anyone can provide.

Aaah.

I believe (although I'm sure Marc will correct me if I'm wrong) that it's now roughly tied to average national team performance over a time period. Which makes sense if you agree with the statement that "national teams that do well over long periods of time tend to be from countries that have more talented national team player pools."

Of course that's not to say you'll never see a stud player from a smaller country, or smaller countries doing well. Because those stud players from smaller countries do exist, IRL and in the game.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #2779
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Doesn't Steam have sales on this game sometimes?

Yeah. They just had one like...not too long ago unfortunately.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #2780
Ryan S
Quarterback

Steam has a massive sale on until July 4th. Football Manager is not on offer at the moment, but check the daily deals every day and you may get lucky.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #2781
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So is the MLS worth playing in this or not? I am having fun still with West Ham but I am just thinking of starting a career and attempting to work from the bottom up and I figure I would check if the MLS is worth trying it out with.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #2782
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So is the MLS worth playing in this or not? I am having fun still with West Ham but I am just thinking of starting a career and attempting to work from the bottom up and I figure I would check if the MLS is worth trying it out with.

I'd say no. There's too many other more fun options, especially if you want to work "from the bottom up".
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #2783
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
I'd say no. There's too many other more fun options, especially if you want to work "from the bottom up".

What are some of the better suggestions?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #2784
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

MLS can be fun if you enjoy the American style of sports. In other words, you get players by drafting and have to work within a salary cap. You just have to do a ton of research on MLS rules and how they relate to FM.

But, in my opinion, sov is right. There are much more rewarding and fun ways to play.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #2785
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

The possibilities are almost endless. I like to stick with England as I know its leagues are the best implemented*. Others could speak more of their adventures in some of the other leagues.

To figure out what team I want to take over, I usually open up the editor and do a club search using different criteria. I always want *some* transfer money, so I don't venture too far down the ladder. Also, I'm terribly slow at the game and I always want an end goal of playing at the top of the Premier League.

*plus I'm always trying to up my knowledge of the players that play in England

Last edited by sovereignstar : 06-28-2010 at 07:52 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #2786
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So far things are going pretty well for me in my current game as Arsenal. I've pretty much been dominating the Premier league including dominant wins over several of the top 10 teams.

The European Champion's Cup has been a bit more up and down for me. We ended up with one of the tougher groups but handled it mostly ok. Other than Juventus which has pulled off two 2-0 wins against us (in fact the only team to beat us at all so far and they've done it twice!)

I am really really happy with my tactics as I have them set up thus far. I would like to think that we are pretty creative offensively and have had some pretty explosive performances. Obviously our defense has been top notch and the reason we're doing well. Even happier that I am doing this tactic by hand and not using someone else's.

I am making some mistakes here or there, (as seen in my two ECC losses), but the one thing that is driving me mad is that I have yet to figure out how to be successful with crosses. Does anyone have any pointers on how to improve the crossing game?

My last three matches I have had crossing % of 11%, 9% and 9%

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #2787
sabotai
General Manager

I've been trying to play this as a RPG (realistically playing my 'character'). I turned down a job offer in the past. It would have given me almost twice my salary at The Shire, but I figured it was justifiable to turn it down. I am making $23,500 and the job was $41,000. I figured that I was "trying to build something special" in East Stirlingshire and the money wasn't important.

That was near the beginning of the season. Now, we are 28 games in, tied for 1st at 53 points with Montrose. We had a mid season slump and fell back by several points but are now on fire.

Then Portsmouth came calling. They are currently 6th in the Championship League in England and will be without a manager at the end of the season. They offered me $400,000 a year. I got them up to $500,000 a year for a 2 year contract.

I was getting a bit annoyed at The Shire anyway. The Board just wouldn't let me offer my loan players the amount they wanted to sign, even though we had the budget for it after I got mutual terminations of several players that were high salary but now just backups or even 3rd or 4th string. I managed to get all four (at various times) of the teams who own my loan players to accept transfer, but got blocked by the Board when I couldn't offer them anything near the yearly wage they had with the teams. And I'm not talking a big difference. The Board only let me offer $11,000 a year when they were making $17,000 or $22,000 a year with their current clubs.

So now it's time to go where I can spend money. A transfer budget of $4.2 million and payroll of $34.5 million. I know it's all relative and that amount isn't as much as it sounds, but I'm looking forward to it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #2788
sabotai
General Manager

As I leave The Shire to take the job of managing Portsmouth, I'm happy to say I'll be leaving behind a Scottish Second Division team rather than a Third Division team. With 3 games left and just 1 point ahead of Montrose, he faced off on their field. It was tied 1-1 at the half, but we get the only goal in the 2nd half and take the 2-1 win. That gave us a 4 point lead with 2 games to play. All we had to do was win and we would advance, and sure enough, we take the next game 1-0 over Albion Rovers. The Shire is promoted!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #2789
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
The possibilities are almost endless. I like to stick with England as I know its leagues are the best implemented*. Others could speak more of their adventures in some of the other leagues.

To figure out what team I want to take over, I usually open up the editor and do a club search using different criteria. I always want *some* transfer money, so I don't venture too far down the ladder. Also, I'm terribly slow at the game and I always want an end goal of playing at the top of the Premier League.

*plus I'm always trying to up my knowledge of the players that play in England
I really enjoy Germany or Holland because there is no restriction on signing foreign players, which allows me to really scout the world and create an international team.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #2790
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Its amazing how stoked I am that I have gotten my first two players that are valued at over $1M.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #2791
aran
High School Varsity

I saw Wrexham go from 22nd to 15th in the BSP last year under my command. I picked up a lot of young talent and terminated a lot of chaff in the off-season. Now we're in good shape. 12 games into the 2010 season and we're in fifth place. We beat previously unbeaten Oxford United 3-1 away. It's great to see the team coalesce. Especially after last year which saw many midseason additions that never fully blended into the squad.

My real problem at this point is that the team is going bankrupt. We can't seem to attract many fans even though we are scoring plenty of goals and playing well this season (still getting those emails saying that we are expecting low turnouts).

The board is preventing me for getting a full compliment of good coaches in. I significantly upgraded what I could, but the board forced me to go from the six crappy coaches I had before to four good ones.

How do you guys handle the tactical advice your staff gives you where the "second opinion" guy disagrees or strongly disagrees? I tend to go with the guy's advice if he has a higher tactical rating than the second opinion guy, but I'm not sure. I'm especially concerned about the special training pieces of advice (like "X should be encouraged to stick to the right flank when dribbling") when I'm not sure if it would be particularly good or bad.

FM2010 is definitely the best sports sim i've ever played.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #2792
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Best thing to tell you about finances, keep winning and turnouts will get better. Try to find some young talent and then sell it during the offseason for extra cash.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #2793
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am still chugging along with my Southampton team. We're only in mid-December right now.

The "injury bug" has just hit. I lost my starting left wingback, defensive midfielder, left attacking midfielder and top striker all in the course of two games. The attacking midfielder had been my best player over the last 5 games or so. Just a force out there. Luckily, we have some decent options back-up wise for each.

Despite the -10 points to start the season with, we are 3rd in the league, only 5 points back from the top spot overall.

I had another one of those great "FM" moments. As is my want, I have been constantly looking at players to better my team. Scouting, comparing, searching, etc. I have been looking at improving my centerbacks for a while now. One of the players I took a good long look at was a defender playing for Portsmouth. Apparently, Portsmouth is Southampton's biggest rival going a ways back. So, some of my fans got pissed off about me looking to buy this player, stating that they had no interest in having a "Pompey" (I guess that's a nickname for Portsmouth) castoff on the team. They were most seriously displeased at the prospect. I respect that kind of hatred from my fans and announced that I had no intention of signing the player at my next press conference.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #2794
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Quick question regarding WWSM 2008. I am currently with Hoffenheim in the German 2nd division. I just started and we have only played a couple friendlies so far. I was reading one of the guides and it mentions media interaction over and over but I am having a hard time finding where I go to do this. I have not played the game since I bought it a couple years ago and played it then so I am just drawing a blank. By the way for a team expected to finish 8th they sure have a lot of more to spend along with good facilities training etc.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #2795
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

08 may not have had media interaction?

i forget. i thought it did...i dunno.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-30-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #2796
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Opportunities for media interaction generally come before and after (non-friendly) games. Occasionally if a player says something to the press (about playing time usually) you can reply. Other managers can comment on you, and you can comment on other managers. You can also comment on individual players at any time.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #2797
aran
High School Varsity

Holy crap. I just lost like 7 players to injuries in the span of 3 matches. And they aren't minor injuries. I lost by best striker, anchor DC, and playmaking midfielder for at least a month. WTF. I don't understand how my team is the most fit team in the league, suffers only a few minor injuries in the first 14 games, then suddenly everyone dies. Am I supposed to rest players when we have those two-game weeks? No one that I've seen has complained about training--in fact a bunch of guys are doing great and advancing.

Last edited by aran : 06-30-2010 at 07:08 PM.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #2798
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
I saw Wrexham go from 22nd to 15th in the BSP last year under my command. I picked up a lot of young talent and terminated a lot of chaff in the off-season. Now we're in good shape. 12 games into the 2010 season and we're in fifth place. We beat previously unbeaten Oxford United 3-1 away. It's great to see the team coalesce. Especially after last year which saw many midseason additions that never fully blended into the squad.

My real problem at this point is that the team is going bankrupt. We can't seem to attract many fans even though we are scoring plenty of goals and playing well this season (still getting those emails saying that we are expecting low turnouts).

The board is preventing me for getting a full compliment of good coaches in. I significantly upgraded what I could, but the board forced me to go from the six crappy coaches I had before to four good ones.

How do you guys handle the tactical advice your staff gives you where the "second opinion" guy disagrees or strongly disagrees? I tend to go with the guy's advice if he has a higher tactical rating than the second opinion guy, but I'm not sure. I'm especially concerned about the special training pieces of advice (like "X should be encouraged to stick to the right flank when dribbling") when I'm not sure if it would be particularly good or bad.

FM2010 is definitely the best sports sim i've ever played.

I loved playing as Wrexham!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #2799
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Woohoo! First time I've won anything!

The schedule is getting rough though. Within a 11 day span, I had 5 games since I was still alive in the League Cup, FA Cup, ECC and had Premier league games too.

It almost gets to a point where you have to decide which games to not try hard in or you won't have your best players ready for the big games. I've fallen from 1st to 5th in the premier league during this tough stretch, but only 8 points out of first as I have sacrificed some of those games to stay alive in the cups. I have a feeling though that FC Bayern is about to eliminate us from the ECC as in a one week span I had to face Liverpool in the League Cup Final, Aston Villa in the FA cup, Manchester United in the Premier League game and FC Bayern in the ECC.. yuck!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #2800
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Congrats - that's always a tough challenge with congestion of fixtures...yep