Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #2751
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

For the record, it's not really necessary to have four people for XCom. My wife and I played, and we just each played two roles. When you're learning the game, it's a challenge, but after a couple of rounds, you get it.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #2752
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
For the record, it's not really necessary to have four people for XCom. My wife and I played, and we just each played two roles. When you're learning the game, it's a challenge, but after a couple of rounds, you get it.

If you need more people, just give me a shout!

I'm getting it on Thursday. It's my birthday present to myself.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:31 AM   #2753
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Went to a game night Saturday night and played La Isla and Murano.

Murano was really good. A simple rule set that at least appears to offer a variety of options for building to success. I think it works very well and I haven't been as drawn to a Euro in some time.

La Isla was a little disappointing. I was hoping it would be a light entry level euro that would offer some good game play and be a way to introduce newer gamers to different mechanics. It was light and I really liked the way you can build synergy with your actions. The gameplay itself didnt have the same synergy. It seemed to end far too suddenly for my liking. It will hit the table a few more times before it heads to the flea market stack, and I hope that it will redeem itself.

If La Isla doesn't pay off, I have ordered Murano along with Alchemists. Next game night I'll hope to get all three to the table, but given what I'm hearing about alchemist's play time that could be challenging.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #2754
tarcone
Coordinator

Evolution is on my radar. Looks like a fun game. It is in its second printing with a 3rd coming in April.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #2755
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Terra Mystica expansion finally shipped yesterday. Hopefully I'll get it to the table in the next couple of weeks.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #2756
Grover
Pro Starter

Doesn't fit in the board game sphere, but I was just gifted Cards Against Humanity. Very excited.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #2757
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Doesn't fit in the board game sphere, but I was just gifted Cards Against Humanity. Very excited.

Ooo! That will be a great Valentines get-together game.
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #2758
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Played that at a dinner party one time. Very fun game with the right group.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #2759
APC
Mascot

It is a fun game, but you're right in saying it needs to be played w/ the right group. If you're with a group that simply picks the most obnoxious card as the winner every single time, even if it makes no sense in the context of the category, the game gets old fast.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #2760
tarcone
Coordinator

CAH is fun. It does wear out quickly though. Its a game to play once in awhile.

My Demo Derby game arrived yesterday. Plaay shipped it Tuesday. So a quick turnover. Unfortunately, my wife saw the envelop on the front step. I was hoping to avoid that.
Look good, I need to punch it this weekend and try it out.

Of course, I have my Axis and Aliies global 1940 game set up. I am going back over the rules. That board takes up a good portion of my game room.

But it looks sweet set up. And I really want to get into it.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #2761
RainRaven
High School JV

If anyone likes the price of free and doesn't mind building the game, I give a hearty recommendation to Dungeon of D. It's a print and play that you can find on BGG. Sort of like a tabletop dungeon crawl using only cards. He does a great job utilizing the space on each card. If you don't like building your own game then he also has it offered through artscow and printer studio.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #2762
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I got alchemists to the table, and really liked it. Deduction is the key element, but it isn't the only thing. You don't win by deducing everything. You win by exploiting the information that you have deduced. You actually often need to publish your findings before you have all of the facts.

We only got one play in. Almost hree hours for our first three player game, but the time flew by. No one felt like it dragged or took too long. I'm scheming to get It to the table this weekend as well. Though I think it. Will be tough because my wife has declared that it has too Much going on.

We also got sheriff of nottingham to the table this weekend, and that really went over well with the lighter gaming crowd that was over to watch a movie. Laughter the whole time, and as usual, my wife crushed the rest of us.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #2763
ColtCrazy
College Starter

After owning it for several months, I finally got The Kaiser's Pirates on the table. Meant to run through it once and give my impressions. Ended up playing three games before writing the review on Field Generals.

I need to try Alchemists. I've heard several good things about it. Not sure I have a group that would play that though.

Oh, discovered a couple of new fun family games to play with kids: Fistful of Penguins and Skyline. Fistful of Penguins is a dice game where different animals are worth different amounts of money for your zoo. Some animals work in combos, so don't work at all with others so you have to decide what animals to use to make money and when to use your "penguins" to reroll or take more dice. Generally enjoyed the game and my daughter loved the penguin meeples. Skyline is a little drier. It's also a dice game where you try to roll to build different sizes of skyscrapers. Taller ones are worth more, but color combinations come into play. It's a neat game that comes with a ton of dice, but not as visually appealing as other games. Both come with solitaire rules.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #2764
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Played Roll for the Galaxy this weekend again. This is probably going to be in my top two or three favorites for a long time. Also played Pathfinder Adventure Card game, One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Zombie Dice.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #2765
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Just posted a new episode of Hands-On Games and Strat-O-Matic Baseball is the topic...

Hands-On: Strat-O-Matic Baseball - YouTube
Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #2766
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Kickstarter game in…the new Columbia Games Victory in Europe. A 4-6 hour WWII block game but it seems to play much faster. Easy to learn with some interesting mechanics. Would be a great WWII game for those that don't want to play the longer, complicated ones that are out but want something more than Axis & Allies.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #2767
cschex
High School Varsity

Backing the newest KS from Dice Hate Me, Bottom of the 9th, which is the simulation of the last half inning of a baseball game where the batter is trying to score one run and the pitcher is trying to stop them from doing so. I got to demo a prototype at PAX South and it is really fun and quick (and can easily be extrapolated into a longer game.) Plus DHMG has made some really good games (I really enjoy Viva Java Dice and Brew Crafters). Here's the link if anyone is interested

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ic/description
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #2768
Thomkal
Head Coach

International Tabletop Day-April 11

Wil Wheaton Announces International TableTop Day 2015 - YouTube
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #2769
tarcone
Coordinator

Any Dune fans out there?

There is a new game being printed. It is a print and play game. But it has caught the hotness factor. On BGG it is called Dune the Dice Game. The copy being produced is called The Dice Must Flow. This is because of the rights issues with the Hebert estate.
The mechanics look to be outstanding. It is going for $56. It is on pre-order right now and due to ship in June.

I have read the rules and this game looks to be a lot of fun. Check it out.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:49 AM   #2770
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

$56 for a dice game? I'm going to have to look this one up, but that seems awfully steep.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:01 AM   #2771
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Any Red Dragon Inn fans?

There is a RDI 5 on kickstarter that includes a storage solution for everything.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #2772
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
$56 for a dice game? I'm going to have to look this one up, but that seems awfully steep.

Its more than a dice game. That is the mechanic that will determine your fate. It is an area control, political, strategy game.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #2773
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Just posted a look at Space Empires 4X on my channel.

Hands-On: Space Empires 4X - YouTube
Old 03-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #2774
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Its more than a dice game. That is the mechanic that will determine your fate. It is an area control, political, strategy game.

Got around to reading the rules. Sounds extremely intriguing. I like the idea of temporary alliances that are almost constantly shifting.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #2775
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Just posted a look at Space Empires 4X on my channel.

Hands-On: Space Empires 4X - YouTube

If you ever want to part with Raid on St. Nazaire, see me first please.

Good vid on SE4X

Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #2776
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
If you ever want to part with Raid on St. Nazaire, see me first please.

Good vid on SE4X

Thanks! And ok, will do. Still have yet to get it to the table!!!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #2777
tarcone
Coordinator

Watched this video today. Brought back great memories of my long lost game of Title Bout. I went on ebay and found an unpunched game for a reasonable price. There is an updated version coming out, but it is only heavy weights. I loved my Middle weight and welter weight fights.
I need to stop buying games.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #2778
Thomkal
Head Coach

And if you dare, it's Tabletop after Dark...Cards Against Humanity. Definitely not safe for work or for children.

Cards Against Humanity: Aisha Tyler, Laina Morris, & Ali Spagnola Join Wil on TableTop S03E09 - YouTube
Old 03-20-2015, 12:10 AM   #2779
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Watched this video today. Brought back great memories of my long lost game of Title Bout. I went on ebay and found an unpunched game for a reasonable price. There is an updated version coming out, but it is only heavy weights. I loved my Middle weight and welter weight fights.

Yeah, I reposted that video as well. So cool to see an intelligent board game segment on sports games.

Last edited by PadresFan104 : 03-20-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #2780
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

One of my best friends is visually impaired and I've been seeking games that work well with a blind player. I've even found some Braille conversion kits for a few card games. We've had good luck with love letter, dungeon quest, magical athlete, Bonhanza, colt express, winner's circle, camel up and cash-n-guns. This week though we've been playing machi koro. It has really worked well for us. It is a small step up in complexity from the other games that he has been exposed to. A bit of engine building and dice rolling. I think it is heavily luck dependent but we've seen strategic shifts in play lead to come backs, so it is better than I initially thought.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #2781
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

PT games has done a remake of TItlebout and it is for sale but so far there has been a delay in the initial shipments so may not bode well. I didn't purchase mostly because it only had 70 fighters that were Ll heavyweights in the first set. Unlike the original that came with 400 + fighters this one has 20 fighters. He is saying he will release future weight class sets but that is a slow process it sounds like so those are not coming anytime soon
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #2782
tarcone
Coordinator

Yep. Thats why I went with the original. I got it unpunched for $40. Not sure what the new one is going for. But when I saw only one weight class. And you had to purchase other weight classes at a later time, I knew it wasnt for me.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #2783
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Unshockingly, I couldn't stop myself last week when I noticed a Dutch edition of Concept hit the stores, about a month earlier than I anticipated. My sister and I saw a demo at the largest gaming convention in the Netherlands and immediately knew it could be a hit. As I made my order for it, I added Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise, which had been on my 'wishlist' for a couple of months. I like racing games (I think I have five that qualify as such) and felt I had to add this one to my collection.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #2784
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Got to play Worthington's War & Peace. If you like Axis & Allies, give this Napoleonic game a try. Similar but with some neat concepts thrown in (political alliances). Very fun, light war game.

Also tried Yardmaster Express. For a $9 kickstart, it was fun and is a decent filler, but if you had the rules you could nearly recreate the game with just the numbers of an UNO deck.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #2785
tarcone
Coordinator

Getting ready for Geekway to the West. The local con here in St. Louis. It sold out this year. 1300 attendees.
Its a fun gaming convention. Minature Market is the big sponsor. They give away a game with registration. This year, there are some really nice games. From Fortress America to Biblios to Fealty to Nexus Ops to Planet Steam to Hegomenic to Machi Koro.

I got a personal day on Friday of the con. I cannot wait. Scheduled a game of Twilight Imperium and Turf Master. Im going to try and set up a game of Thunder Alley.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #2786
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Got back into plaay.com with their rollerderby game and secondseason game (both games I had owned before), and something new, their stock car racing game.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #2787
Thomkal
Head Coach

Wil Wheaton announces his cast for the RPG he's going to be running. Starting production today:

Wil Wheaton has Big News About the RPG Show - YouTube
Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #2788
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Wil Wheaton announces his cast for the RPG he's going to be running. Starting production today:

Woo Laura Bailey!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #2789
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Got to play Alchemists yesterday for the first time, and I have a new favorite board game.

Hard to quantify this game - it's like Mastermind + Clue + Worker Placement/Resource Management. It's 'worker placement' in that you place cubes on action tiles, but the action tiles are not limited - if someone grabs 'Gather Ingredients' that doesn't preclude someone else from using the 'Gather Ingredients' spot as well. The name of the game is reputation, and you gain prestige by correctly brewing potions. Potions are brewed using two alchemical ingredients, and the 8 different ingredients each have one of 8 unique 'alchemicals' - a combination of characteristics that define how the ingredients interact with each other. The kicker is that you have no idea which ingredient corresponds to which alchemical, and you can only deduce which one is which by the potion they create. Each potion is created from exactly two ingredients, and there are 7 different potions - three different colors, and each color has a positive and negative version. There's also the neutral potion (Toad Soup). Every ingredient combination makes a potion, so multiple different combinations will correspond to "Green +" for example. So your time is balanced between collecting resources, selling resources (very inefficient way to get money), brewing potions to sell (very efficient way to get money IF you know what you're going to make) and brewing potions to drink. Once you've brewed a few potions, you can start slowly narrowing down the possibilities of what ingredient does what, and THEN you can start publishing your findings. Being the first to publish automatically brings prestige - but if your theory is debunked later, expect a big reputation drop.

Only one play, but the game seems quite well balanced in that you never quite have enough resources to do everything you want to get done. There are 6 rounds, and in our game I had literally every single alchemical identified correctly by the fourth round. I lost the game by 5 points to someone who had only identified two of the eight, because he was publishing earlier and making much more money than I was, allowing him to get the powerful artifacts and sell potions to adventurers to stay ahead in the money game.

A lot of fun, and I can't wait to give it another shot.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-30-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #2790
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I got a chance to play XCom with some friends last night. They had played before but we started on the tutorial for my sake. I managed the squad in our four man rotation. We won on the tutorial, got crushed on normal and then actually struggled but beat a normal mission.

The game is unforgiving and punishing just as any XCom game should be. I particularly felt that the game is very well-balanced in that each of the four players has an important rule. Additionally, the app was very well done. I was sure it was going to be clunky and gimmicky but, instead, it added a lot to the game.

I definitely would recommend XCom and I too now have a new favorite board game.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #2791
tarcone
Coordinator

I finaly got Nuklear Winter '68 to the table. It was out of print for a couple years, then back n and I jumped on it. That was about a year ago. I read the rules a couple times, but never played it. I did last week. Great theme. Interesting game play, varied in its results. I played the 1st scenario a couple times and had 2 completely different outcomes.
I set up a 3 player scenario. But life has taken over and it is siting on my table waiting patiently.

Last edited by tarcone : 03-31-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #2792
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
Got to play Alchemists yesterday for the first time, and I have a new favorite board game.

Hard to quantify this game - it's like Mastermind + Clue + Worker Placement/Resource Management. It's 'worker placement' in that you place cubes on action tiles, but the action tiles are not limited - if someone grabs 'Gather Ingredients' that doesn't preclude someone else from using the 'Gather Ingredients' spot as well. The name of the game is reputation, and you gain prestige by correctly brewing potions. Potions are brewed using two alchemical ingredients, and the 8 different ingredients each have one of 8 unique 'alchemicals' - a combination of characteristics that define how the ingredients interact with each other. The kicker is that you have no idea which ingredient corresponds to which alchemical, and you can only deduce which one is which by the potion they create. Each potion is created from exactly two ingredients, and there are 7 different potions - three different colors, and each color has a positive and negative version. There's also the neutral potion (Toad Soup). Every ingredient combination makes a potion, so multiple different combinations will correspond to "Green +" for example. So your time is balanced between collecting resources, selling resources (very inefficient way to get money), brewing potions to sell (very efficient way to get money IF you know what you're going to make) and brewing potions to drink. Once you've brewed a few potions, you can start slowly narrowing down the possibilities of what ingredient does what, and THEN you can start publishing your findings. Being the first to publish automatically brings prestige - but if your theory is debunked later, expect a big reputation drop.

Only one play, but the game seems quite well balanced in that you never quite have enough resources to do everything you want to get done. There are 6 rounds, and in our game I had literally every single alchemical identified correctly by the fourth round. I lost the game by 5 points to someone who had only identified two of the eight, because he was publishing earlier and making much more money than I was, allowing him to get the powerful artifacts and sell potions to adventurers to stay ahead in the money game.

A lot of fun, and I can't wait to give it another shot.

I got this game as well, but haven't been able to get it to the table yet.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #2793
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It can be daunting for people who aren't excited to learn it. The rules actually walk you through how to play your first turn and the explicitly say go play the first turn and then come back to the rules after. We didn't do that, since we are all heavy into board games, but it might help. You almost have to explain it in two ways: game mechanics and then potion creation. Once the potion creation clicks, it's not difficult, but until then it can be confusing as hell.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #2794
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Just ordered Red White and Blue Racin'. I've always been a huge fan of sports sim board games, so this one looks pretty good. I've never ordered from PLAAY before, but this community seems to love them, so I took the plunge.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #2795
tarcone
Coordinator

Game day tomorrow to celebrate the start of Easter break. 6 of us playing. One brand new guy to gaming.
Game of Thrones may be on tap. Its a terrible game without 6. But with 6 it is outstanding.
Some smaller games will also be played. 7 Wonders, Evolution, DC Deck Building. And whatever else strikes our fancy.

Cant wait.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #2796
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Terrible might be a bit strong. I think the game is still pretty ok with 5, but quickly becomes worse with any fewer. Have you tried the expansion? Makes it a great 4 player game.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #2797
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Just ordered Red White and Blue Racin'. I've always been a huge fan of sports sim board games, so this one looks pretty good. I've never ordered from PLAAY before, but this community seems to love them, so I took the plunge.

Hey Umbrella-

I hope you like RW&B as much as I do! It really is a lot of fun. Additionally, Keith's service is truly unmatched.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #2798
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Terrible might be a bit strong. I think the game is still pretty ok with 5, but quickly becomes worse with any fewer. Have you tried the expansion? Makes it a great 4 player game.

Yep. It does play really well with 4 and that expansion. I like it a lot.
Terrible was too strong. But it is pretty unbalanced with 5. And you really need to house rule the game with less then 6 and no expansions.

Still a fun game.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #2799
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

We had a bit of a board game night last night. We played kanban, and I really liked it. Fairly heavy,but the mechanics are simple to grasp once you start to play. I made some mistakes right off of the bat because I didn't catch some of the ramifications of my early actions. I had a plan, and did things out of order that resulted in my plan being a lot more difficult to carry out. A heavy game that is thematic enough that I got into it.

We also played imperial settlers that I really enjoyed as well. Engine building to generate victory points and a bit of conflict thrown in. I'm not sure how much interaction there will be in games when we're more experienced. As it was I'm not exactly sure what the guy who won did in order to win other than mess with me when I started to pull away.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #2800
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Wil has released some more about the game. It appears to be a new RPG system that he's created together with Green Ronin Publishers off of their DragonsAge system. A combination of fantasy and sci-fi with influences coming from Heavy Metal magazine and the Thundar the Barbarian cartoon. The game they will be running has a name which sounds cool and you can find out in the link here:

Wil Wheaton Reveals SHOCKING TableTop RPG Show Title! - YouTube