Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2024, 09:38 AM   #2851
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If he had (1) just accepted the election results, and (2) not stuffed a bunch of classified documents in the bathroom so he could show them to people, he'd be in such a good place right now.

Every GOP presidential hopeful would have spent 4 years coming kiss his ring to get his endorsement. He'd get to call into Fox and Friends whenever he wants. By not committing federal crimes, he'd have avoided federal prosecution.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 09:43 AM   #2852
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Trump responded, "He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured."

My father is/was a trump supporter. He was shot down, also a POW. I pointed this out and asked him how he could support someone who just tossed vets/pows under the bus, like this, and his response was 'well he's not talking about ME", but don't ask him about Hanoi Jane. She's basically Satan himself.

And I do think that's what trump supporters do. They look beyond the obvious things that would impact them, or be about them, make rationalizations as to why it is, and then look under every rock misstep by the 'others' to both make them feel better about their rationalizations and to reinforce their beliefs.

I told him I couldn't respect him after that. To which he replied 'I'm your father, you have to' and I simply told him, "No".

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 10:10 AM   #2853
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'll add this,

When I was Active Duty Air Force, it was actually pretty normal that once an enlisted person hit 20 years, s/he would just coast along until deployment orders came along, then they would drop their retirement paperwork.

Not saying this this applies to Walz since he put in his paperwork before deployment orders came down.

From what it looks like, they had an idea they may be deployed soon, but no actual confirmation. Waltz was planning on running for congress, and if they did deploy he wouldn't be able to do it. He went to his CO and talked it over, and his CO encouraged him to go ahead and retire. One of the guys that wrote the complaint letter was the guy that took over as CSM and he had made it pretty clear he personality didn't like Waltz, saying he "talked too much." So a guy with a personal axe to grind and a Republican supporter.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 10:13 AM   #2854
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
My father is/was a trump supporter. He was shot down, also a POW. I pointed this out and asked him how he could support someone who just tossed vets/pows under the bus, like this, and his response was 'well he's not talking about ME", but don't ask him about Hanoi Jane. She's basically Satan himself.

And I do think that's what trump supporters do. They look beyond the obvious things that would impact them, or be about them, make rationalizations as to why it is, and then look under every rock misstep by the 'others' to both make them feel better about their rationalizations and to reinforce their beliefs.

I told him I couldn't respect him after that. To which he replied 'I'm your father, you have to' and I simply told him, "No".

It reminds me of the Trump deportations that his supporters were cheering. Then some small, very red town had the guy that owned the Mexican restaurant deported and they were upset because "he was one of the good ones".

The love Trump until his policies directly impact them. They want other people punished.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 10:24 AM   #2855
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's the "Shirley Principle"

They need to deport all the bad illegals. Shirley they won't deport Jose. He's one of the good ones.

They need to stop all the government handouts. Shirley they won't take away my unemployment insurance if I lose my job. I need that to get back on my feet.

They need to get the bad books out of the library. Shirley they won't ban actual literature. Just the bad books.

They need to stop all those bad women from getting abortions. Shirley they won't ban an abortion if a child is raped.
Old 08-08-2024, 10:30 AM   #2856
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Shirley you can't be serious.
Old 08-08-2024, 10:31 AM   #2857
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The backlash is beginning.

And it is subtle.

Wa Post headline: "Walz’s Army record faces scrutiny as GOP critics, fellow veterans question claims about his service"

Note no actual investigation into what is and is not true. Just basically taking the GOP line of attack and making it a headline.

Did he embellish his military record? Sure would be cool if the Wa. Post could hire some people (I think that they are called journalists. I've also heard them called reporters.) to investigate the claims and make the story about whether they are true or not.

But that would require work.
Old 08-08-2024, 11:07 AM   #2858
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'll add this,

When I was Active Duty Air Force, it was actually pretty normal that once an enlisted person hit 20 years, s/he would just coast along until deployment orders came along, then they would drop their retirement paperwork.

Not saying this this applies to Walz since he put in his paperwork before deployment orders came down.

Very true. And nearly everyone was OK with it because you respected the guy that did his 20+. The very few that had problems with it were assholes that no one liked because they were the type that found a problem with everything.
Old 08-08-2024, 11:09 AM   #2859
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I think I have told this story before, but my last job had several guys that I worked with that was here under questionable means. They had paperwork, but the owners pretty much knew that it was fake. The owners were big Trump supporters, and "rah, rah"-ed the build the wall crap. When I asked what would happen if one of their guys got deported. They told me directly "oh that won't happen. They are the good ones. But if it did, I would drive to Mexico and sneak them back in myself."
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 11:14 AM   #2860
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think I have told this story before, but my last job had several guys that I worked with that was here under questionable means. They had paperwork, but the owners pretty much knew that it was fake. The owners were big Trump supporters, and "rah, rah"-ed the build the wall crap. When I asked what would happen if one of their guys got deported. They told me directly "oh that won't happen. They are the good ones. But if it did, I would drive to Mexico and sneak them back in myself."

My wife's stepfather does home renovations and this is almost exactly him. He's helped several migrants get on their feet, given them jobs, and considers them friends. He's also the guy on Facebook pushing for the wall, deportations, and posting stories to every crime committed by a migrant.
Old 08-08-2024, 01:25 PM   #2861
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I'm not watching it because I'm on a conference call, but if center-right Twitter is to be believed, Trump isn't doing himself any favors with this presser.
Old 08-08-2024, 01:31 PM   #2862
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

He just had to get in front of a camera.

But he really does seem to lack the juice he used to have.

Makes sense. He's older now.
Old 08-08-2024, 01:31 PM   #2863
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: not watching it either. Just going off of reactions
Old 08-08-2024, 01:34 PM   #2864
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I'm not watching it because I'm on a conference call, but if center-right Twitter is to be believed, Trump isn't doing himself any favors with this presser.

Yeah this is bad. Talking about crowd sizes, gas going up to $7-$9 a barrel (yes he said barrel), rebuilding every bridge in America because of electric trucks, something about soldiers with no arms no legs no faces.

He's lost it. This is a nervous breakdown in real time.
Old 08-08-2024, 01:40 PM   #2865
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If he is breaking down, that's a problem for the GOP, because there's no one to take the keys away from Grandpa.

The Dems were not a cult of Biden. So when he started slipping, powerful Dems were not afraid to speak frankly to him (though I still think that the decision to stop contending for the nomination was his).

But who's gonna speak frankly to Trump? Everyone who has his ear is either a relative or making money grifting off his campaign.
Old 08-08-2024, 01:41 PM   #2866
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Like, I'm sure Mike Johnson understands that a true Trump implosion would hurt the GOP down ballot (and, thus, his Speakership). But what can he do to prevent that?
Old 08-08-2024, 01:47 PM   #2867
HerRealName
College Prospect

I've been an undecided voter but now I'm full MAGA. I learned today that Kim Jong Un likes Trump a lot but he doesn't like this group at all and that was the convincing argument I was looking for.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 01:52 PM   #2868
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The Dems were not a cult of Biden. So when he started slipping, powerful Dems were not afraid to speak frankly to him (though I still think that the decision to stop contending for the nomination was his).

Semi-related but Nancy Pelosi has started to give herself those flowers over the past couple of days, which doesn't seem very productive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...tion-campaign/
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-08-2024 at 01:57 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 01:53 PM   #2869
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I've been an undecided voter but now I'm full MAGA. I learned today that Kim Jong Un likes Trump a lot but he doesn't like this group at all and that was the convincing argument I was looking for.

That's fair. Can't fault you for that.

Apparently there's also a country which he won't name because he does not want to get it in trouble where they encouraged people to get guns and crime is down 29%. So that's another reason to vote for him.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-08-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2024, 01:54 PM   #2870
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’ve listened to 4 minutes of this and he has told at least 10 lies.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 01:56 PM   #2871
Atocep
Coordinator

Stephanie Grisham said this is what Trump does when he's lost faith in the people around him. When he feels people are failing him he takes control.

This presser is really just an off the rails campaign speech. And a bad one at that. He's covering 3-4.topics in a single sentence and it's impossible to make any sense of what he's saying or trying to accomplish.
Old 08-08-2024, 02:09 PM   #2872
Atocep
Coordinator

He sounds like someone trying kill the last hour of a filibuster.
Old 08-08-2024, 02:14 PM   #2873
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

He sounds like a sad desperate weird man.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 02:19 PM   #2874
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
And almost on cue he schedules a press conference for today. It’s likely going to be a horror show of maga lies and stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

I was spot on. It is not only a disaster but beyond low energy.
Old 08-08-2024, 02:23 PM   #2875
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Like, I'm sure Mike Johnson understands that a true Trump implosion would hurt the GOP down ballot (and, thus, his Speakership). But what can he do to prevent that?

Nothing. It's literally the last stages of Frankensteins monster and I have zero shred of sympathy. They had multiple chances to rid themselves of him but were too spineless to do it. Had they this election would be in the bag for them.
Old 08-08-2024, 02:34 PM   #2876
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
If he is breaking down, that's a problem for the GOP, because there's no one to take the keys away from Grandpa.

But who's gonna speak frankly to Trump? Everyone who has his ear is either a relative or making money grifting off his campaign.

Ivanka?

When Biden stopped contending for the nomination, my first thought that one of the kids (my guess was Ashley) told him enough. I feel like Ivanka is the only person who could tell Donald that he is done.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 02:53 PM   #2877
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
he also couldn't remember Tim Walz's name. He froze at the beginning, then just said "man", later called him "Kamala's new friend" and "the Minnesota gentleman"
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 03:18 PM   #2878
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There is zero chance Trump has ever heard of Tim Walz prior to two days ago.
Old 08-08-2024, 03:24 PM   #2879
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Ivanka?

When Biden stopped contending for the nomination, my first thought that one of the kids (my guess was Ashley) told him enough. I feel like Ivanka is the only person who could tell Donald that he is done.

Putin is the only one who'll tell Don he's done.

The biggest difference between Biden and Trump is that Trump needs to run to stay out of prison or worse. Even if he loses this election, he'll simply refile for the following one. He won't go away until he dies.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 03:25 PM   #2880
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trump is def rooting for Serbia right now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 03:35 PM   #2881
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Trump is def rooting for Serbia right now.

I kind of am also.
Old 08-08-2024, 03:38 PM   #2882
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Putin is the only one who'll tell Don he's done.

The biggest difference between Biden and Trump is that Trump needs to run to stay out of prison or worse. Even if he loses this election, he'll simply refile for the following one. He won't go away until he dies.

Biden was so terrified as coming across as partisan that he went the opposite direction. I’m not so sure Harris is the same and I suspect it was one of the issues on the White House people talk about. The gop has already dove headfirst into the “weaponization of doj” claim that I think Harris may just be like, fuck it if they are gonna accuse us anyway let’s do it. Either way I think this is the GOP and maga last stand. Dems have a deep bench and people are so sick of maga. So many of the rising gop stars have the trunk stain and would have to cater to maga just to win the primary. The party is truly fucked if they lose.
Old 08-08-2024, 04:38 PM   #2883
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ehhhhh, it's not as deep as Trump but there were quite a bit of ride or die Biden folks. His cognitive decline has been known even before he was elected in 2020. You had people vehemently defending Trump's immigration policy because Biden proposed it. You had people defending a fucking genocide for christ sake.

And Dems absolutely were afraid to speak up. The party targeted anyone who did for awhile. They closed the primary. It only became safe to speak up when he bombed the debate in front of 50 million people and it became clear that he was going to get trounced in the election. Dems were utter cowards who ignored reality and will be responsible for Trump returning to power if he wins in November.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 04:44 PM   #2884
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Ehhhhh, it's not as deep as Trump but there were quite a bit of ride or die Biden folks. His cognitive decline has been known even before he was elected in 2020. You had people vehemently defending Trump's immigration policy because Biden proposed it. You had people defending a fucking genocide for christ sake.

And Dems absolutely were afraid to speak up. The party targeted anyone who did for awhile. They closed the primary. It only became safe to speak up when he bombed the debate in front of 50 million people and it became clear that he was going to get trounced in the election. Dems were utter cowards who ignored reality and will be responsible for Trump returning to power if he wins in November.

I agree with a lot of what you said except the last part. It was late but plenty of time before the election. If Trump wins it is the fault of the people for not getting out and voting Kamala.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 04:56 PM   #2885
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

It's interesting that all the far-right/fascist leaders seem to end up in this position. Bolsonaro needed to win to stay out of prison. Netanyahu needs to keep a war going to stay out of prison. Same with Orban.
Old 08-08-2024, 05:02 PM   #2886
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I agree with a lot of what you said except the last part. It was late but plenty of time before the election. If Trump wins it is the fault of the people for not getting out and voting Kamala.

They didn't hold a real primary where voters could have decided the nominee. Kamala might be fine, but she is unlikely to be the strongest candidate the Democrats could have put out had they held a primary.

I'm not knocking them for going with Kamala since they didn't have many options, but that's still the fault of the party and the diehards who refused to acknowledge reality and let it get that far.
Old 08-08-2024, 05:21 PM   #2887
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This guy. He is indignant he's being left out of the 'weird' conversation.
Old 08-08-2024, 05:40 PM   #2888
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Maybe he's trying to up the weird to tamp down it's effectiveness.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 06:02 PM   #2889
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They didn't hold a real primary where voters could have decided the nominee. Kamala might be fine, but she is unlikely to be the strongest candidate the Democrats could have put out had they held a primary.

I'm not knocking them for going with Kamala since they didn't have many options, but that's still the fault of the party and the diehards who refused to acknowledge reality and let it get that far.

Yeah, they did box themselves in letting things draq when it should have been clear that Biden should have not run for re-election period. Still, a Kamala / Walz ticket would have me pull my vote back from Chase Oliver if have even a semi-competent campaign.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 07:30 PM   #2890
cuervo72
Head Coach

If the presser was awful you wouldn't know it from the network nightly coverage. Just that it happened, he said Harris was bad and he lied a bit.
Old 08-08-2024, 07:42 PM   #2891
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
If the presser was awful you wouldn't know it from the network nightly coverage. Just that it happened, he said Harris was bad and he lied a bit.

They have completely normalized his lunacy.
Old 08-08-2024, 07:48 PM   #2892
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

It would have ended the campaign of any candidate pre-Trump.

It's crazy we went from the Dean scream to where we're at.
Old 08-08-2024, 08:06 PM   #2893
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump's gotta be pissed that Joe Rogan endorsed RFK Jr.
Old 08-08-2024, 08:08 PM   #2894
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It would have ended the campaign of any candidate pre-Trump.

It's crazy we went from the Dean scream to where we're at.

Ahhh the Dean scream. Did you know it has its own Wiki page? What to know how we got here?

Quote:
Albright-Hanna, a CNN reporter at the event, explained, "there was a sense that it was really loud, but it just felt like a typical rally. Nothing out of the usual happened. Nobody remembered a moment happening at all."[1] She explained that when on the plane to New Hampshire after the rally, "none of the reporters on the press plane were talking about [the Dean scream]"; only when a CNN associate producer brought it up when at New Hampshire was she aware of it.[1] Eric Salzman, who reported Dean's campaign for CBS, revealed it was the network's editors that chose to focus their coverage on the scream despite insistence from journalists at the rally not to: "It was an interesting example of the power of television, because editors said to their reporters, 'Hey, I saw it. I watched it on TV. I know what happened.' And the reporters were trying to say, 'No, it was different if you were there.' And the editors were like, 'Hey. I'm telling you I know what the story is, and this is what we're reporting.'"[1]
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 08:25 PM   #2895
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I've never understood how it was different from any other campaign speech, even compared to those times.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 08:29 PM   #2896
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Dukakis looked like a dork when he rode a tank, he's out.
Old 08-08-2024, 09:02 PM   #2897
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Trump's gotta be pissed that Joe Rogan endorsed RFK Jr.

The next big UFC event in the US is going to be awkward
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 06:27 AM   #2898
PilotMan
Head Coach

It seems some republican surrogates are moving on to the "Wizard of Oz" strategy.

"Pay little to no attention to trump, whether you like him or hate him, our policies are what you support, and we're better for it"

Almost as if the man behind the curtain is irrelevant now focus on us and what WE do. It's the first messaging I've seen that doesn't strictly revolve around trump for trump reasons.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 07:24 AM   #2899
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It seems some republican surrogates are moving on to the "Wizard of Oz" strategy.

"Pay little to no attention to trump, whether you like him or hate him, our policies are what you support, and we're better for it"

Almost as if the man behind the curtain is irrelevant now focus on us and what WE do. It's the first messaging I've seen that doesn't strictly revolve around trump for trump reasons.

That won’t continue. Trump will never allow it to be about anything other than himself.
Old 08-09-2024, 07:44 AM   #2900
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's smart, though. Most of the people I know who are Republicans and say they're still voting for him, that's the reason. The either competely discount the authoritarian stuff or flat-out don't care, as long as they get their tax breaks, or 2nd Amendment protections, or abortion restrictions, or whatever matters most to them.

I really don't know many people (outside of my parents and some of my wife's relatives) who are all-in on Trump the personality as the driving reason for their votes. A lot of those people obviously exist, but I don't really have any personal association with any of them.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote