Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #2851
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The fringe would be calling someone racist (or stupid) for questioning an Obama decision that makes no logical sense, don't you think?

Nobody here's demanding a placenta, and I personally wouldn't have any problem with a muslim name or a mysterious father issue.

I didn't get it as DT calling all birthers racists, but instead saying that racism is a significant factor for some percentage of birthers. Would you really challenge that?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #2852
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I didn't get it as DT calling all birthers racists, but instead saying that racism is a significant factor for some percentage of birthers. Would you really challenge that?

this is true. thanks for clarifying that on my behalf.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #2853
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It looks like between the massive use of the cash for clunkers fund (looks like they're going to tap another $2 billion in funds from the stimulus package), and this, the economic news is at least brighter.. now if they just can get unemployment going the other way..

BBC NEWS | Business | Obama sees US economy improving
Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #2854
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
It looks like between the massive use of the cash for clunkers fund (looks like they're going to tap another $2 billion in funds from the stimulus package), and this, the economic news is at least brighter.. now if they just can get unemployment going the other way..

It's going to take quite a while for employment to come back. I think a lot of those jobs in the Midwest are gone for good.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #2855
RainMaker
General Manager

My retirement stuff isn't looking as bad as it was. Feel a little better for my Dad who is on the verge of retirement. He was in mostly safe stuff but still got clobbered. Kind of sucks to lose 25% of your nest egg 5 years before retirement.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #2856
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The more people talk about birth certificates, grey poupon, and what beer he drinks, the less they talk about his actual policies. I think it's a savvy political move that all Presidents use to deflect away from actual issues.

What actual issues is the President avoiding?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #2857
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But the problem is that President Obama WANTS something like health care front and center... mostly because he wants to revive the falling poll numbers for it (which the Blue Dog Dems are reading and thus running away from health care reform).

Hell, his comments on the Gates affair totally overshadowed his speech on health care reform, which he was going to use to try to get a bill through quickly.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #2858
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He has a Muslim name on it already. And where do you think this Muslim name is? Why wasn't it listed in any of the birth announcements in newspapers?

He doesn't put it out because he doesn't have to. Because it works to his advantage. The same reason why Bush didn't denounce 9/11 conspiracy theories. Better to keep your mouth shut and make your opponents look like fucking idiots to the rest of the public.

Exactly- why go out of your way even more to disprove stupid conspiracy theories when those clamoring about it are your opposition and just marginalize themselves more.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #2859
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Please, I googled "horse sex" and got 1,185 hits on Google News.

I don't think this has gotten the attention it should

(Not "horse sex", per se, but that molson googled it. Now, I'm going to run off and giggle like a little school girl )

SI

Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #2860
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't think this has gotten the attention it should

(Not "horse sex", per se, but that molson googled it. Now, I'm going to run off and giggle like a little school girl )

SI

Now I feel dirty.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #2861
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Yeah, I'm not buying it. I realize job numbers don't improve until about 9 months after the economy starts to pick up so it's too early to tell. But jobless claims are still coming in fast and furious and we still have real unemployment of around 17-20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
It's going to take quite a while for employment to come back. I think a lot of those jobs in the Midwest are gone for good.

Yeah, that's what worries me. Those rust belt jobs are gone and aren't coming back. The more I read about the jobless recoveries of the last two recessions, the more convinced I am that we're having this again. It won't be a recovery back to where it was- it will be another fundamental shift where we kicked a lot more jobs overseas for "cost savings" but the dollars will still come back to the top.

This works great until you've squeezed the employment numbers over here so much that no one can buy things and good luck getting some non-first world country where those jobs are to buy bread for $1-2 a loaf when you're paying them that daily or, at least, hourly

SI

Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #2862
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now I feel dirty.

It was low hanging fruit

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-02-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #2863
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This works great until you've squeezed the employment numbers over here so much that no one can buy things and good luck getting some non-first world country where those jobs are to buy bread for $1-2 a loaf when you're paying them that daily or, at least, hourly

SI

Isn't that what's been said about this movement of labor constantly over and over (well, mostly by commies... no seriously)? People in the 1st world will adapt to new technologies and create jobs based on that.

I mean when jobs from the Rust Belt moved to the South, there wasn't too much complaining. It's only when they moved from the South (and what was left of old manufacturing in the Rust Belt) to overseas that it became important.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #2864
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Isn't that what's been said about this movement of labor constantly over and over (well, mostly by commies... no seriously)? People in the 1st world will adapt to new technologies and create jobs based on that.

I mean when jobs from the Rust Belt moved to the South, there wasn't too much complaining. It's only when they moved from the South (and what was left of old manufacturing in the Rust Belt) to overseas that it became important.

I get the first paragraph and I don't necessarily agree because I think that removing all protectionism and allowing mostly free trade globally is a significant shift to the rules of the game

To the second paragraph, I don't get what you're getting at. I don't care as much if I have to move around the country. You have to uproot your family and that's a hassle but doable, particularly if you're making a decent wage to compensate. However, if you send it overseas and reduce the pay by 50-90% per person, that's not really a viable option for most workers here.

SI

Old 08-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #2865
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was low hanging fruit

SI

Has anyone Googled low hanging fruits?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #2866
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I get the first paragraph and I don't necessarily agree because I think that removing all protectionism and allowing mostly free trade globally is a significant shift to the rules of the game

To the second paragraph, I don't get what you're getting at. I don't care as much if I have to move around the country. You have to uproot your family and that's a hassle but doable, particularly if you're making a decent wage to compensate. However, if you send it overseas and reduce the pay by 50-90% per person, that's not really a viable option for most workers here.

SI

I think its silly to say there is a "significant shift to the rules of the game". The game is just bigger now. It's still the same thing. You had a basically free trade system inside the US (due to the Constitution and early rulings by the SCOTUS), now its just expanded.

As for the second point, people traditionally HAVEN'T moved to where their factory did. When a factory closed down in Detroit and the jobs moved to Alabama, those people didn't say - well, we'll have to move to Alabama. No, they tried to search for a new job close to home.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #2867
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Exactly- why go out of your way even more to disprove stupid conspiracy theories when those clamoring about it are your opposition and just marginalize themselves more.

SI

Or, he can just show it.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #2868
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
What actual issues is the President avoiding?
Economy, unemployment, lack of impact of the stimulus, health care, and the fact we lost a ton of lives in Afghanistan this last month.

But hey, keep fighting the good fight. Maybe next you can get NASA to admit they faked the moon landing.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #2869
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Or, he can just show it.

But that's the point? Assuming he hasn't already (which he has), how is it possibly in Obama's interest to show his birth certificate? Those who think he's not from here already disagree with him- the number is 0 or at least negligible of those who like him but think he was born elsewhere.

So, basically, you have people who don't like him hammering him on something as stupid as "he's not born here" and marginalizing themselves when it comes to other issues. Even those who disagree with him on some issues will be less attracted to an opposition who keeps going after something this stupid.

SI

Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #2870
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think its silly to say there is a "significant shift to the rules of the game". The game is just bigger now. It's still the same thing. You had a basically free trade system inside the US (due to the Constitution and early rulings by the SCOTUS), now its just expanded.

As for the second point, people traditionally HAVEN'T moved to where their factory did. When a factory closed down in Detroit and the jobs moved to Alabama, those people didn't say - well, we'll have to move to Alabama. No, they tried to search for a new job close to home.

I guess we disagree about how significant of a shift it is. We basically opened up our labor market from shifting around internally to a US worker being 200M of roughly a 4B global labor pool.

Many people in, say, Detroit didn't move but many did and that's why you have a lot of us who have moved a lot in our lifetime (I'm up to 4 cities in 3 states and I'm not even 30), more than our parents, and orders of magnitude more than our grandparents.

SI

Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #2871
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that's a difference in scale, not in the rules of the game.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #2872
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, that's a difference in scale, not in the rules of the game.

I think the rule shift is that internal is internal, no matter where you ship it but internal to external is very different. An internal shift still contributed to our economy and the money stayed mostly at home (i.e. less than 1% of the US population spends more then 1% of their income internationally in their lifetime) whereas if you ship the job to, say, China, India, Brazil, Costa Rica, whatever- less than 1% of that money is staying in the US economy.

If you ship a job from Michigan to Alabama, the recipient is still paying US taxes, buying US products, buying US services, etc. If you ship a job from Michigan to one of the aforementioned countries, that's not at all the case. No one in Mumbai is getting a haircut at the corner barber, getting their taxes done at H&R Block, getting food at Kroger/Safeway, buying a tv from Best Buy, or getting a Chevy truck. That money he makes is getting spent at their corner barber, doing their taxes at an Indian accounting firm, getting food at and Indian market, buying a tv at their local store, and buying a car from Tata.

All of that money goes back into their economy not into ours. The US cannot compete with other countries on labor costs because no matter how skilled we are, we aren't worth 5 or even 10 people anywhere else if you can distill a job down to a compartmentalized process (which is what all major companies in all fields are doing).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-02-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #2873
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Which improved the efficiency of the product leading to lower costs for the companies and the consumer. Other jobs took the places of those that were lost in the country (ie, look at the 80s & 90s and growth in technological sectors, driving the US economy). Hell, shipping jobs overseas has resulted in American consumers being able to purchase far more than they ever thought possible due to the lower costs from increased economic efficiency.

In the end, the US has incredibly benefited from the opening up of borders and free trade. To the point where some claim it is exploitative for the US and the West to insist on free trade with 3rd world countries, because its the West that ends up the victors (I don't agree, because I do think the 3rd world countries benefit as well - the benefits take a little longer to realize there, though).
Old 08-03-2009, 05:07 AM   #2874
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW, Dutch, Snopes, FactCheck.org, all have viewed the original form, and they pronounce it legitimate. No matter what Obama does, it's not going to satisfy the birthers (who will pronounce it a fake or a forgery). See the latest cockamamie scheme to "prove" that Obama was born in Kenya?

Is this really smoking gun of Obama's Kenyan birth?

Amongst the problems with this document:

First, the hospital is Coast Provincial General Hospital (sometimes said to be Coast Province General Hospital), not Coast General Hospital.

Second, Kenya was a Dominion the date this certificate was allegedly issued and would not become a republic for 8 months.

Third, Mombasa belonged to Zanzibar when Obama was born, not Kenya.

Fourth, Obama's father's village would be nearer to Nairobi, not Mombasa.

Fifth, the number 47O44-- 47 is Obama's age when he became president, followed by the letter O (not a zero) followed by 44--he is the 44th president.

Sixth, EF Lavender is a laundry detergent.

Seventh, would a nation with a large number of Muslims actually say "Christian name" (as opposed to name) on the birth certificate?

Eigth, his father (born in 1961) would have been 24 or 25 when he was born and not 26.

Ninth, it was called the "Central Nyanza District," not Nyanza Province. The regions were changed to provinces in 1970.

in a seperate post:

2. The document is dated 5 August 1964 -- a Saturday. From what I can find, Kenyan guvmint offices close early on Friday and are closed on Saturdays. Oooops [...]

5. This piece of paper certainly looks nice and new to be 45 years old -- unless the Kenyans were using acid-free paper back in 1964. Heh, heh.

6. Finally, Officials of Coast Province General Hospital reported: “We do not have computerized records going back to the 1960’s and can only sort through our archives by hand,” Dr. Christopher Mwanga, an administrator at the Mombasa hospital tells GLOBE. “We have searched for all the names of babies born on Aug. 4, 1961, and have not found the name of Barack Hussein Obama. That is all I can tell you.”

At this point, Obama might as well let the idiots be idiots and ignore them.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #2875
RainMaker
General Manager

It's pointless Fozzie. Conspiracy theories never die. They just evolve based on new evidence. They'll argue this one is real till it's ridiculous. Then they'll blame Democrats for putting it out. Another fake one will come out and we'll do this all over again. It's like the moon landings or 9/11 conspiracists. No matter how much evidence points the other way, they'll continue to change their theory.

I do have to say I'm disappointed in the forgery. If you're going to take the time to create a hoax and trick the fine folks at World Net Daily (I'm sure this wasn't that though), you should put a little more time into your plan. I mean researching the country, the districts, and other stuff would have been helpful. I'm always disappointed when forgerers make little mistakes like this that can be easily verified.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #2876
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Assuming he hasn't already (which he has), how is it possibly in Obama's interest to show his birth certificate?

How is it possibly against his interest? And what was the point of releasing the other birth certificate, and starting an entire website to debunk this, if the going theory is "what's the point of contesting this?"
Old 08-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #2877
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Cripes. I never thought this amount of space would be wasted in this thread regarding a birth certificate. I guess I was wrong. I've underestimated you all.

In what would appear to be much more important news, there are signs that Obama may make the same mistake that Bush Sr. made.......promise no taxes and then proceed to tax those that he said he wouldn't tax. How quickly we go from the comments at Mile High Stadium where the bottom 95% would not see an increase in taxes to the point where the presidential advisors now refuse to rule it out. Didn't even take a year.

2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up - Yahoo! Finance

Also, the Republicans are going to vote against the 'Cash for Clunkers' increase. A smart move by them to avoid looking like hypocrites regarding their complaints about the skyrocketing deficit.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #2878
Flasch186
Coordinator

In the same post you chastise about raising taxes on X while touting the benefits of a balanced budget.

I dont need to remind you that to get out of a dep/recession you have to increase spending so you cant have it both ways {shrug}.

Well I guess YOU can.

I will agree with you that it will be able to rile up the GOP base, I would bet that most, not all, or VAST, but most (meaning 50+1%) of those that voted for Obama would agree to increased taxes when explained as to why those taxes are going up in the future.

FWIW, The GOP will NEVER raise taxes so even while they argue for lower taxes to get the economy going you would think that once the economy IS going those very same people would want to then balance it out and raise taxes, when you can absorb it....however that has NEVER been the case with the GOP and hence why only Clinton could get us surpluses...but I digress.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #2879
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
In the same post you chastise about raising taxes on X while touting the benefits of a balanced budget.

I dont need to remind you that to get out of a dep/recession you have to increase spending so you cant have it both ways {shrug}.

Well I guess YOU can.

I will agree with you that it will be able to rile up the GOP base, I would bet that most, not all, or VAST, but most (meaning 50+1%) of those that voted for Obama would agree to increased taxes when explained as to why those taxes are going up in the future.

FWIW, The GOP will NEVER raise taxes so even while they argue for lower taxes to get the economy going you would think that once the economy IS going those very same people would want to then balance it out and raise taxes, when you can absorb it....however that has NEVER been the case with the GOP and hence why only Clinton could get us surpluses...but I digress.

I think you're missing the point. It's not about the merits of raising taxes v. not raising them, it's that the reason a lot of us didn't vote for Obama was that we didn't think he could possibly deliver what he promised. I said a couple of time in pre-election threads that if he delivered everything he promised, I'd not only vote for him in 2012, I'd donate heavily to his campaign. But my money will be safe. And really, there's no reason not to lie and overpromise, because his supporters clearly don't care either way.

Why not run on a rational platform, "I think our government can do great things for you but that might mean we'll all have to chip in"? Because he wouldn't have won the election, of course. So just say one thing, get elected, and then do what you want.

Last edited by molson : 08-03-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #2880
Flasch186
Coordinator

Fair enough.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #2881
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How is it possibly against his interest? And what was the point of releasing the other birth certificate, and starting an entire website to debunk this, if the going theory is "what's the point of contesting this?"

How many times do I have to say this in this thread? It's already been like 3 times in the last day and a half and it's not that complicated

1) He's already shown birth certificate

2) SHOW SUPER DUPER BIRTH CERTIFICATE = give credence to idiots clamoring for it
NOT SHOWING SUPER DUPER CERTIFICATE = let his political enemies continue to look stupid while fixating on this

Anyone silly enough to believe this theory doesn't like him and won't like him even if he could produce a time machine and show each and every one of them his birth while it was happening.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-03-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #2882
molson
General Manager

Quote:
How many times do I have to say this in this thread? It's already been like 3 times in the last day and a half and it's not that complicated

2) SHOW SUPER DUPER BIRTH CERTIFICATE = give credence to idiots clamoring for it
NOT SHOWING SUPER DUPER CERTIFICATE = let his political enemies continue to look stupid while fixating on this

Anyone silly enough to believe this theory doesn't like him and won't like him even if he could produce a time machine and show each and every one of them his birth while it was happening.

SI

That doesn't answer the two questions I posed, but whatever, since nobody has an answer to why this logic applies only to the new birth certificate, and not the ENTIRE WEBSITE he put out to refute this, I'll stop asking.

I just think it's interesting how the defenses are completely inconsistent with the prior actions, and each other.

If it's good to have the crazies focus on this and look stupid (which is the goal), AND none of them will change their mind if he releases the real birth certificate (which everybody agrees on)....then, won't it make them look even more stupid if he releases the real birth certificate? So why not do it, unless there's some detriment? The only proposed detriment is that it gives credence to those enemies, which doesn't make any sense either because we've already decided that those people are crazy anyway - so how could the real birth certificate possibily support and give credibility to that crazy opposition? The logic doesn't add up.

It could be something as simple as wanting to seem a little mysterious, he obviously has a image that he's worked hard to put out there, this might be part of what a PR firm told him to do, to be cool or whatever.

I really don't care what he does, it's just the logic that is annoying to me, and the view that Republicans are supposed to speak out on this. Why wouldn't that give credence to that view? None of it makes sense.

Better to focus on his campaign lies, I suppose.

Last edited by molson : 08-03-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #2883
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
I think the rule shift is that internal is internal, no matter where you ship it but internal to external is very different. An internal shift still contributed to our economy and the money stayed mostly at home (i.e. less than 1% of the US population spends more then 1% of their income internationally in their lifetime) whereas if you ship the job to, say, China, India, Brazil, Costa Rica, whatever- less than 1% of that money is staying in the US economy.

SI

Yes to this...and I apologize in advance for another unsolicited rant on the economy & energy...but this is exactly my frustration with the entire Health Care debate even being brought forth at this time. The money is nearly all kept internal to the US (though some argue it is kept in the wrong hands...not interested in those merits ATM).

When you are trying to find the most sustainable ways to maintain the current US lifestyle...or even your own household...you have to start with outgoing expenses (i.e. dependencies on foreign countries). Obviously oil/energy is at the top of this list. Well...guess what? We have 10% of our population doing nothing at the moment...use them to reduce our outgoing expenses by building/staffing/maintaining the next wave of nuclear/wind/solar energy (on our new national energy grid that they can build as well). After you create massive reductions in outgoing expenses..then we look at how to "spread the loot" (i.e. U-HC, etc.).

I'm purposely oversimplifying this just to highlight how silly these giant bills like U-HC are when we have a gaping hole in the window and 2 unemployed and able-bodied teen children sitting around who can help fix it. Yet...we are more worried about cleaning the carpet first because it could get moldy.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #2884
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
SI

Of course they wouldn't like him if he did that. Why would they want to be sent to a secret Islamist birthing center in 1960s Africa?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-03-2009 at 09:17 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #2885
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Of course they wouldn't like him if he did that. Why would they want to be sent to a secret Islamist birthing center in 1960s Africa?

Nicely done

SI

Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #2886
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
It's a problem for Republicans now, but unless the economy picks up it's going to be a bigger problem for the Blue Dogs. I think they're going to get pushed to the right, and I think there's a chance that by 2012 a number of them will have defected to the Republicans in a chance to save their seat. I'd also look for Blue Dog Senators to be less likely to bolt, and more likely to try to run a re-election campaign more to the left (a la Arlen Specter) than their last contest.

It'll be interesting to see if they go Independent. They'll have the power of the incumbency to offset the loss of party support and while abandoning the Democratic party might lose them some votes, it's probably not nearly as many as they'd lose if they went Republican.

I think the GOP's going to have to change a lot, though, to attract some of these folks.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #2887
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

SI

A bit off-base. I'm not accusing the President of anything. I do admit that I find it curious that he won't/can't produce his original birth certificate. Not much more to it than that.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #2888
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
SI

They faked the moon landings so, any video evidence like this can be faked to. All you need is what, some palm trees, a coconut and a hula dancer and the illusion of Hawaii is set. That or Gilligan's Island.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #2889
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Why not show it? Because he doesn't need to. He's already proven that he is eligible to serve as President. If he shows more, that doesn't stop it. The birthers will want more. And when they ask for it, those that dislike Obama will do the same song and dance that they don't believe the birthers, but he should just show it to quell any doubts. And then the birthers ask more, and so on.

And there is also the added strategic benefit of watching more and more Republicans get swept up in this, making them look crazy.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #2890
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A bit off-base. I'm not accusing the President of anything. I do admit that I find it curious that he won't/can't produce his original birth certificate. Not much more to it than that.

you can see it if you want. just pay for a trip to hawaii if you want to see the actual thing. or view it online on any of the websites that have it scanned in.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #2891
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
you can see it if you want. just pay for a trip to hawaii if you want to see the actual thing. or view it online on any of the websites that have it scanned in.

The state of Hawaii is prohibited by state law from releasing the original or showing it to anybody, and it certainly hasn't been released on the internet.

You'd think the state of Hawaii would want Obama to just release the darn thing, they probably get thousands of requests for it.

There's no real reason to think the original has DIFFERENT information, but it definitely has additional information. It's not logical to contend that that he was born somewhere else, but I think it's a fair question to wonder what else he's hiding.

Last edited by molson : 08-03-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #2892
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The state of Hawaii is prohibited by state law from releasing the original or showing it to anybody, and it certainly hasn't been released on the internet.

You'd think the state of Hawaii would want Obama to just release the darn thing, they probably get thousands of requests for it.

There's no real reason to think the original has DIFFERENT information, but it definitely has additional information. It's not logical to contend that that he was born somewhere else, but I think it's a fair question to wonder what else he's hiding.

how is it then that people have seen/touched the original?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #2893
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
They faked the moon landings so, any video evidence like this can be faked to. All you need is what, some palm trees, a coconut and a hula dancer and the illusion of Hawaii is set. That or Gilligan's Island.

Speaking of Gilligan's Island, this thread seems as good a place as any to point out that 71-year old Dawn Wells is definitely a GILF.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #2894
molson
General Manager

Quote:
how is it then that people have seen/touched the original?

Who? I know one Hawaii offical says she has, and she confirmed that he was born in Hawaii.

That's really good enough for me as far as the citizenship angle, I just disagree with the logic about why nobody else gets to see the original.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #2895
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Speaking of Gilligan's Island, this thread seems as good a place as any to point out that 71-year old Dawn Wells is definitely a GILF.

See got a DUI so, obviously she still likes to par-tay too.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #2896
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who? I know one Hawaii offical says she has, and she confirmed that he was born in Hawaii.

That's really good enough for me as far as the citizenship angle, I just disagree with the logic about why nobody else gets to see the original.

i swear i saw on like factcheck.org or something that they had staff members who had...

"We beg to differ. FactCheck.org staffers have now seen, touched, examined and photographed the original birth certificate. "

The director of Hawaii’s Department of Health confirmed Oct. 31 that Obama was born in Honolulu. . . . The Associated Press quoted Chiyome Fukino as saying that both she and the registrar of vital statistics, Alvin Onaka, have personally verified that the health department holds Obama’s original birth certificate.

FactCheck.org: Born in the U.S.A.

(there's photos of it there too, so it most definately can be seen on the internet).

In fact, the conspiracy would need to be even deeper than our colleagues realized. In late July, a researcher looking to dig up dirt on Obama instead found a birth announcement that had been published in the Honolulu Advertiser on Sunday, Aug. 13, 1961:

The announcement was posted by a pro-Hillary Clinton blogger who grudgingly concluded that Obama "likely" was born Aug. 4, 1961 in Honolulu.
Of course, it's distantly possible that Obama's grandparents may have planted the announcement just in case their grandson needed to prove his U.S. citizenship in order to run for president someday. We suggest that those who choose to go down that path should first equip themselves with a high-quality tinfoil hat. The evidence is clear: Barack Obama was born in the U.S.A.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-03-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #2897
molson
General Manager

Quote:
i swear i saw on like factcheck.org or something that they had staff members who had...

The wikipedia page on the whole thing says that they were invited to view Obama's hard copy of the short-form (the one that's on the internet).
Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #2898
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yes. and the short form is acceptable proof of citizenship by the state department.

controversy over.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #2899
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

But then that's an endless cycle. People could keep asking stuff, and at any point he draws the line, it will be because he's trying to hide something. That's ridiculous.

There's nothing else on that form that has any bearing on his job as President. And I've always hated the argument that someone is obviously hiding something if they don't turn over everything that someone requests. I have nothing to hide in my apartment, but you damn well better believe that I would request a warrant before letting the police search it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #2900
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
But then that's an endless cycle. People could keep asking stuff, and at any point he draws the line, it will be because he's trying to hide something. That's ridiculous.

Quote:
There's nothing else on that form that has any bearing on his job as President.

You've seen his original birth certificate?

Quote:
And I've always hated the argument that someone is obviously hiding something if they don't turn over everything that someone requests.

The perception is there. He's a politician, a public figure, and the President of the United States of America. I find it very strange that the President of our country refuses to show us an original birth certificate.

Quote:
I have nothing to hide in my apartment, but you damn well better believe that I would request a warrant before letting the police search it.

Again, it's curious to me that the only way our President would allow us to see his original birth certificate is by police warrant.

Last edited by Dutch : 08-03-2009 at 02:33 PM.