Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #2851
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I say that and our 1.5M value strike scores his first goal in 857 minutes...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #2852
digamma
Torchbearer

What is the best way to clear salary on a lower side team where no one will leave mutually? Offer free transfers? Just pay the termination fee? That seems to defeat the purpose if I'm trying to reduce expenses to sign someone.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #2853
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I had no problems finding my strikers with Diss....when you look at the results make sure your scout filters out the unrealistic prospects...it will get you the ones that will want to sign.

I've been doing that all season long, to no avail. It's mostly youth players that we'd have to pay compensation for. The one good thing I've done is take the team from -3k to $18k to the good.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #2854
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
What is the best way to clear salary on a lower side team where no one will leave mutually? Offer free transfers? Just pay the termination fee? That seems to defeat the purpose if I'm trying to reduce expenses to sign someone.

I usually offer the free transfer if the player isn't of value...if I can't get a transfer I keep them on or I will terminate and pay the fee.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #2855
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Offering to other teams and setting the price at $0 has worked well for me so far. In my second season I went a little overboard and had to unload 5 players in short order(a couple just to reduce salary, a couple were guys I had signed that were just disastrous) and had no trouble giving them all away.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #2856
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I just had one of THOSE games. Been a top 5 Premier League team for 5 years now. Played my first game in the League Cup. Outshot them 26-3, yet ended extra time tied 1-1 and lost the shootout 8-7 on a kick that went wide. Ugh.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #2857
aran
High School Varsity

So I think that an important part of improving my play of FM2010 involves keeping my shortlist in reasonable shape. Is there a way to mass remove players from your shortlist? It's kind of annoying to go through the 100 players that I've scouted this year and untick each of most of them individually.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #2858
flounder
High School Varsity

Sorry for the newb question, but how do people usually handle scouting? I've seen that just about everyone has a scout that only scouts the opposition, and some people have a scout that looks at players out on loan. For the rest, do you just assign a scout to a region or do you often add conditions like position, age less than a certain amount, etc.?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #2859
Warhammer
Pro Starter

It depends. I play where I only sign a player that my scouts, coaches, or players have brought to my attention. So, I typically have several scouts out scouting regions, one scouting my next opp., and then one scouting the home country.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #2860
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Here it is. For a bit there, I had a problem with the database not generating more than one season of the league. But I've fixed that and expanded the US structure to seven levels, from five, added a few more domestic cups, as well as a continental super cup and a global one, as well.

Plenty in there to keep you busy. I created a thread for it, so it wouldn't be buried in this one.

DC, sorry to bump this from the ancient past, but I am having some trouble with your database.

I downloaded it last night and when I tried to start a new game it gave me an error saying that four of the leagues had too few teams, they were all one team short. The PLA error read “13 teams detected, 14 needed.” I didn’t see any other post mentioning this, and I don’t think I’ve made any changes to my game that would cause it.

So, has anyone else seen this with the PLA 2K10 database? It looks like a lot of fun, hope I can get it working.

Update:
Just in case anyone else happens across this problem it’s pretty easy to fix, even for someone like me who is completely intimidated by the editor.

Just open up the PLA2K10 database in the editor; there are several teams that are not currently in a league so just dump them into the leagues that are short a team. I had never used the editor and it only took 10 minutes or so. It actually took me longer to find the editor and launch it than to make the changes.

Last edited by I. J. Reilly : 07-06-2010 at 11:48 AM.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #2861
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
So I think that an important part of improving my play of FM2010 involves keeping my shortlist in reasonable shape. Is there a way to mass remove players from your shortlist? It's kind of annoying to go through the 100 players that I've scouted this year and untick each of most of them individually.

You can select multiple players by holding down the CTRL key, then right click on one of them and Choose Scouting->Remove From Shortlist.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #2862
digamma
Torchbearer

Next question...I've got a team full of really good (relatively speaking) midfielders. We're less skilled in the back. I experimented a bit with a 3-6-1 formation. We seemed to generate offense, but gave up a bunch of easy counterattacks.

Is this formation viable? If so, do I need a lock down center back? Or three guys who can play both inside and outside on defense? Or do you cheat with the midfielders in a defensive role?

Absent that, what is the suggestion for either a rotation to work 6 guys into the regular line up or a formation that will get as many of them on the field for as long as possible?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #2863
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Next question...I've got a team full of really good (relatively speaking) midfielders. We're less skilled in the back. I experimented a bit with a 3-6-1 formation. We seemed to generate offense, but gave up a bunch of easy counterattacks.

Is this formation viable? If so, do I need a lock down center back? Or three guys who can play both inside and outside on defense? Or do you cheat with the midfielders in a defensive role?

Absent that, what is the suggestion for either a rotation to work 6 guys into the regular line up or a formation that will get as many of them on the field for as long as possible?

Can they play in the wings? if so you can play a 4-5-1, else a narrow 4-2-3-1.

Both ways you use 2 MC and either 1 AMC and AML/AMR or three AMC, for a total of 5 midfielders, leaving one to rotate or backup.

Those are more or less the formations that Germany and Spain are currently using in the WC.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #2864
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

I run a variant of the 3-5-2 that involves 3 DCs, 1 DM, 2 MCs, and two AMR/L, with two strikers up top, but have found that dropping 1 of the strikers back into an AMC role still generates results. They key here is having DCs who are skilled at headers, and a good destroyer at DMC. Im doing this with Man U, so it might not be applicable at lower levels since I have guys like Vidic and Fletcher in the key defensive roles, but it would give you the 3-6-1 you desire. Im also a big fan of attacking formations, so i imagine you could drop the two attacking wingers back to regular wingers and still operate effectively, though surely with a little less attack. I love having 4 guys crashing into the box every attack, with my two MCs popping off long shots for good measure.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 07-05-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #2865
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So I normally run a 3-4-3 especially in the lower leagues...unless you have 3 amazing studs at defense, this isn't a great formation to play at the higher level...

I am running a form of the 3-5-2 which is basically the 3-1-3-1-2 which is pretty powerful but I have a ton of cash in my strikers and I hate only getting 2 of them out on the pitch at a time. Is it worth training one of them to play the AMC role?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #2866
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I always buy the last FM around 6-9 months after it comes out, and that happened last night.

I usually didn't start with my Boro because usually they're in the EPL. This is the first time I bought the game where they weren't, so I will start with them after all (rather than a small club, like I usually do).

I plan to play the Brazillian style Cleon is testing at sigames.com and see how that works.

It always takes me a bit to get rolling there. Even when you're familiar with the series, the "start up" time (learning your side, setting your coaches and training, getting your scouting set, setting up your tactics) takes forever before you even hit "Continue" for the first time.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #2867
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I always buy the last FM around 6-9 months after it comes out, and that happened last night.

I usually didn't start with my Boro because usually they're in the EPL. This is the first time I bought the game where they weren't, so I will start with them after all (rather than a small club, like I usually do).

I plan to play the Brazillian style Cleon is testing at sigames.com and see how that works.

It always takes me a bit to get rolling there. Even when you're familiar with the series, the "start up" time (learning your side, setting your coaches and training, getting your scouting set, setting up your tactics) takes forever before you even hit "Continue" for the first time.

Same here about my usual time buying frame now.. then all of the patches are out and I just get more involved in a career. Also, it always takes the most time for me to learn my team. After the 1st season, things go faster.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #2868
samifan24
Pro Starter

For whatever reason I'm doing much better with Brighton in the Handheld version of the game than I am in the desktop version. I'm running a 4-5-1 and I guess I got lucky with a couple of free transfers in the Handheld version since it seems to be easier to come by players in the somewhat simplified Handheld version, although that could just be anecdotal.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #2869
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

It's always difficult to tell without being able to see personnel, but a 3-6-1 would seem to be vulnerable to certain types of counterattacks. If you're facing a squad with quick wingers who play with a direct style, there is a lot of space for them to exploit down the flanks. If this kind of opposition gains possession, they can quickly hit a long ball down the touchline and have their wingers run onto it in space. So, chances are, you'll be facing a lot of crosses. You would need to deal with these threats by making sure you have quick wing players in your midfield who can track back to defend, have strong, tall central defenders who can head crosses out of danger or some combination of both.

I would seriously consider selling a couple of those midfielders if their contracts are too rich or if they're getting on in years (30+, even if these guys can be helpful in the lower divisions). I would swap them for a DL/DR and go 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 as Icy suggested. That would give you a bit more balance in the shape of the team. 6 in the midfield isn't ridiculous, but I would imagine it's a bit congested.

As the Tactical Theorems document suggests, no tactic is foolproof, but understanding its weaknesses can go a long way in minimizing that tactic's problems.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #2870
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I saw the link to the FM Britain site for tactics tips, but does anyone have a link to the one MV did for this year's version (if he even did one this year)?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #2871
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

He hasn't done one for several years.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #2872
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I've had about a week of playing time so far and I am very slowly picking things up. I want to point out that soccer plays are the biggest bunch of sensative pussies in sports. Everytime I say anything to the media, half my players get all bent out of shape and go crying to each other.

I just let my assistant handle all press conferences and player interaction now. If I say "Hi" to my striker he'll go into a funk for 4 weeks.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #2873
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am depressed. We just played a hell of a game, we went in 9-1 underdogs to one of the top teams in the league. We got up a goal fairly early, then played keep away and sat back to try and steal the points. And it almost worked. We allowed the leveling goal at 86min and then in injury time gave up a stupid header that just found the corner of the net. I was gutted.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #2874
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I've had about a week of playing time so far and I am very slowly picking things up. I want to point out that soccer plays are the biggest bunch of sensative pussies in sports. Everytime I say anything to the media, half my players get all bent out of shape and go crying to each other.

I just let my assistant handle all press conferences and player interaction now. If I say "Hi" to my striker he'll go into a funk for 4 weeks.

Much of that depends on your player personalities. My guys are so loyal/professional that there is very little I can say to fire them up or bring them down.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #2875
flounder
High School Varsity

I just want to repeat the new FM player's oath:

1. This game is awesome.
2. I can't believe I let the fact that I know absolutely nothing about soccer keep me from playing it.
3. If they made a game about American football, I would never leave the house.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #2876
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
He hasn't done one for several years.

I'm afraid I've stopped doing the hints and tips for the PC versions in the last couple of years - this is simply because I'm not now an active dev on the game and don't want to risk giving out mis-information about it by accident, I still do them for the handheld versions most years (have been tardy in releasing this years one because I've been kinda rushed off my feet but hope to get one out soon).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-07-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #2877
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Despite being docked 10 points to start the season, my Southhampton team dominated the Coca-Cola 1 league and ended up getting first place and a promotion to the Coca-Cola Championship League.

Beric Dondarrion (me) won manager of the year.

My deep-pocketed, devoted owner sprung for a heated pitch and invested a ton of money into the team. I now have a transfer budget of around $9 million. This is a dangerous time for me. These monies burn a hole in my pocket. I am uncontrollable when it comes to buying players. Sadly, it often gets the best of me and I end up with too many players at one position or another without moving older guys out. I need to work on fiscal responsibility.

All is not grand, however, at Southampton. Our revelation, our player of the year, the 6'8" 19 year old Ivory Coast striker who simply dominated the league never settled in and demanded to be moved as soon as the season ended. He doesn't think we're good enough. This is killing me. He's my favorite player, but if I don't move him he'll just keep whining and whining and whining until I do. So, I offered him around to clubs. I bought him for $1.2 millio and current have an offer from Barcelona for $3.3 million. I plan to invest that $3.3 million into his replacement. I have a few irons in the fire. I will miss him though. I also had an offer from Man City for the guy, but I refuse to keep him in England. It'll be too painful.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #2878
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I just want to repeat the new FM player's oath:

1. This game is awesome.
2. I can't believe I let the fact that I know absolutely nothing about soccer keep me from playing it.
3. If they made a game about American football, I would never leave the house.

It is good. Very good, but with some real obvious (to me) annoyances.

1. No quick sim to a specified date???? This is a huge glaring problem.
1a. Do I have to watch every match? I know I can turn on commentary only and skip the whole tv/classic view, and most likely I wouldn't skip many matches, but a "quik sim" button would be really, really nice.

2. My scouts keep recommending either (a) young, not so impressive, players or (b) great players who are way over my transfer budget. I get a few decent ones here and there, but most of their recommendations are a waste of time.
2a. Scouting in general. For somebody like me, who knows nothing at all about soccer, it would be nice to have the option to turn scouting off and just tell me exactly how good each player is. The star system is a huge help here for me, and I go by that almost exclusively, which is probably hurting my chances, but it is the only thing that works for me so far. All those attribute numbers? They mean nothing to me.

Still a very fun game, so far. I just hit January 2010 with Southamption.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #2879
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
It is good. Very good, but with some real obvious (to me) annoyances.

1a. Do I have to watch every match? I know I can turn on commentary only and skip the whole tv/classic view, and most likely I wouldn't skip many matches, but a "quik sim" button would be really, really nice.

'Go On Holiday' from within you manager's 'options' menu will allow you to sim to a certain date, but make sure you've got your assistant manager's directions set before doing so, or he may sell someone out from under you.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #2880
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sure there's a "quick sim" it's called "go on holiday" or "go on vacation" in the game menu
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #2881
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

damn - sloppy beat me.

all i know is my brother installed the game last night and promptly stayed up until 1am playing it - despite being tired when he started at like 11
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #2882
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

2. My scouts keep recommending either (a) young, not so impressive, players or (b) great players who are way over my transfer budget. I get a few decent ones here and there, but most of their recommendations are a waste of time.
2a. Scouting in general. For somebody like me, who knows nothing at all about soccer, it would be nice to have the option to turn scouting off and just tell me exactly how good each player is. The star system is a huge help here for me, and I go by that almost exclusively, which is probably hurting my chances, but it is the only thing that works for me so far. All those attribute numbers? They mean nothing to me.

fmscout.com
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #2883
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
The star system is a huge help here for me, and I go by that almost exclusively, which is probably hurting my chances, but it is the only thing that works for me so far. All those attribute numbers? They mean nothing to me.

I don't think that is necessarily a bad way to go, and to some degree I still largely rely on my scout's star ratings when evaluating players (especially if I'm doing it in large batches). Look for attributes that DO stand out from the rest of your similarly rated players (both positively and negatively) and that can just give you some basic insight into players that might stand out for good or bad reasons...strong and tall, fit and pacey, high pace but low stamina, etc. As you play along the attributes will become more clear and useful.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #2884
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

All is not grand, however, at Southampton. Our revelation, our player of the year, the 6'8" 19 year old Ivory Coast striker who simply dominated the league never settled in and demanded to be moved as soon as the season ended. He doesn't think we're good enough. This is killing me. He's my favorite player, but if I don't move him he'll just keep whining and whining and whining until I do. So, I offered him around to clubs. I bought him for $1.2 millio and current have an offer from Barcelona for $3.3 million. I plan to invest that $3.3 million into his replacement. I have a few irons in the fire. I will miss him though. I also had an offer from Man City for the guy, but I refuse to keep him in England. It'll be too painful.

I had a player like that in one of my careers. He was only happy about a month every two years, but that was the time I resigned him to a contract offer and I ended up keeping him for almost 10 years before I finally let him go. Granted, I was in the premier league and managed to work from regulation danger to winning it so he was able to be happy once in a while.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #2885
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

This is what I do. I rarely watch matches, maybe 5-6 a season. The day of the match, I "go on holiday" for one day. It sims the game. I've noticed a mixed bag on this though. Sometimes my team performs amazing and sometimes my team doesn't play up to expectations. More times then not, I've found that my team plays well when on holiday.

Quote:

They usually scout players that "could" play for your team. Where do you scout? They usually give you opinions on players you don't know much about. The best bet is usually under the Assman's (Assistant Manager) "Get team Report". This gives you an idea on how talented the squad is compared to the league it is in. 3 stars is average for the league. 4 means it's better then most players and 5 stars means it's the best player at that position in the league. (Roughly)

Quote:

You can make attributes visual at the start of the game when you create the league. Scouting is pretty fun, but I've gotten bored with it and us FM Scout to find true values. It's addicting though to use because you try and sign every wonderkid.

Quote:

Glad you enjoy it.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #2886
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

If Barca and Man City are interested in him, I would try everything I could to hold on to him for another year or two. He may be worth $20mil at the end of next season. At the very least, I would get a 25% next sale clause put in.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #2887
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The best bet is usually under the Assman's (Assistant Manager) "Get team Report". This gives you an idea on how talented the squad is compared to the league it is in. 3 stars is average for the league. 4 means it's better then most players and 5 stars means it's the best player at that position in the league. (Roughly)

Is the assman's team report completely dependent on his "judge current ability" attribute? I currently have an assman with a 9 for JCA, he has given every player in my starting 11 a three or four stars, but we are picked to finish dead last. So is he wrong or are the odds makers wrong?
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #2888
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
If Barca and Man City are interested in him, I would try everything I could to hold on to him for another year or two. He may be worth $20mil at the end of next season. At the very least, I would get a 25% next sale clause put in.

Hrm. The 25% clause is a good idea. He's only 19 and he's really, really good. I might be tempted to hold on to him for another year, but I don't know if I can put up with his constant whinging. That said, he does consider me one of his favorite personnel. Well, at least he did.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #2889
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the tips. I wondered why anybody would want to go on holiday!

Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #2890
MJ4H
Coordinator

The thing I think the game is missing is a turn-based or PBEM-style multiplayer.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #2891
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Just wanted to say that I felt the same way when I first started playing (2002). Now I can't imagine NOT watching the games, tweaking the tactics, etc.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #2892
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Man, I've had a blast pulling my usual routine with Rushden & Diamonds, taking them from the BSP up to League 1 with a bunch of free-transfer scraps, but I have plateaued in League 1 big time, finishing in 7th in my first year, then 8th and 8th again, with extrabonus end-of-season collapses taking me out of playoff contention in the least graceful ways possible. I just can't field a decent defense to save my life.

Aww yeah. Intent on putting an end to finishing just outside the League 1 playoffs three years in a row, I hit the transfer market hard and finally managed to shore up my defense by getting a couple fit guys that could jump over the moon, and as a result my goals against shrank from literally the top of League 1 to within the bottom half...made better by the fact that I also managed to score a pacey winger, who helped to keep my Rushden squad at the top of League 1 in terms of goals for. As a result in one year I went from a goal differential of +4 to +24. Two of my strikers scored over 20 goals and my DMC was the league leader in terms of pass efficiency AND tackles/game, while his partner AMC led League 1 in terms of rating with a 7.42 over the season.....aaaand I finished fucking 9th. {sad trumpet noise}
Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #2893
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
DC, sorry to bump this from the ancient past, but I am having some trouble with your database.

I downloaded it last night and when I tried to start a new game it gave me an error saying that four of the leagues had too few teams, they were all one team short. The PLA error read “13 teams detected, 14 needed.” I didn’t see any other post mentioning this, and I don’t think I’ve made any changes to my game that would cause it.

So, has anyone else seen this with the PLA 2K10 database? It looks like a lot of fun, hope I can get it working.

Update:
Just in case anyone else happens across this problem it’s pretty easy to fix, even for someone like me who is completely intimidated by the editor.

Just open up the PLA2K10 database in the editor; there are several teams that are not currently in a league so just dump them into the leagues that are short a team. I had never used the editor and it only took 10 minutes or so. It actually took me longer to find the editor and launch it than to make the changes.

What happened is that the 10.3 update changed some team IDs around, so the change file doesn't work right. I had to do it with my APL file too.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #2894
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
Is the assman's team report completely dependent on his "judge current ability" attribute? I currently have an assman with a 9 for JCA, he has given every player in my starting 11 a three or four stars, but we are picked to finish dead last. So is he wrong or are the odds makers wrong?

It's probably a bit off then. I always look for JCA and Man Management as two of my most important categories for my Assman
Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #2895
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Is there a way to add leagues once a game has started? I wanted to add a few and had a brain fart. I am just now realizing my mistake.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #2896
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

nope. It's fixed (and you can't switch view-only leagues to make them able to be coached in either)
Old 07-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #2897
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
It's probably a bit off then. I always look for JCA and Man Management as two of my most important categories for my Assman

It's also based on your board's goal for the year. If your goal is to "fight bravely against relegation".. that may be your assistant's judgement as to how good the team is against that goal..
Old 07-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #2898
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
nope. It's fixed (and you can't switch view-only leagues to make them able to be coached in either)

Bah, no biggie though, thanks Foz. Thankfully I didn't get too far in to my game so I can start over.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #2899
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, such bullshit. I get fired in my first season at Southampton on January 23, following a 4th round defeat in the FA cup to the 5th place Premier team.

I was in 11th place with 44 points. If I didn't start with -10 points, I would have been in third place all alone. I thought I was doing pretty good.

I'm pissed now that I spent a week on this team and didn't even get to finish the season.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #2900
Anthony
Banned

this game - FM 2010 - is the greatest text sime game of all time. i COMPLETELY love the 3d game matches. one thing i can figure out is how to progress through the season quicker. i'm still in my first season and what i assume is the regular season is dragging on. i'm Leeds in the English League 1. how many games does the regular season last? and in order to get promoted we just have to finish as the top team in the standings or is there some playoff? i guess i'm used to being able to sim games in bunches and having to play out every single match is making the season take too long. SI needs to make an American football game with 3d graffics. i'll suck my own cock this happens.

ok, who am i kidding, i'd suck my own cock regardless, but i'd swallow for american football done by SI.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote