Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #2851
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
By the way, if anyone besides this moron wants to know about my source, PM me. I'll actually tell you as long as you don't tell him.

Oh, this is getting GOOD. Don't tell me. It'll kill the suspense. An entire nation is on pins and needles.

Better yet, I'll cover my eyes while you post it so you don't have to send out all those PM's. Go ahead, they're covered..........

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-13-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #2852
DataKing
Pro Rookie

This thread has turned into an 8-car pile-up on the highway...you don't want to look, but you can't help yourself.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #2853
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah, sorry. I should've done this long ago. I apologize for my part in that.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #2854
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
This thread has turned into an 8-car pile-up on the highway...you don't want to look, but you can't help yourself.

I suppose something has to keep us busy until October 15th. We'll play 'Who's the Hog source?' until then.

I have my first guess..........Matt Jones.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #2855
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This reminds of the time someone swore by his sources there was going to be a hockey team in KC...or the other time where he swore by his sources there was going to be a hockey team moving to KC.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #2856
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
This reminds of the time someone swore by his sources there was going to be a hockey team in KC...or the other time where he swore by his sources there was going to be a hockey team moving to KC.

Just as a reminder I didn't swear by a source that Mike Anderson was going to be coach here. I just know that he would be if he was offered and our AD was too stupid to do so. And, again, I can tell you how I know if you want. Just PM me.

Last edited by MJ4H : 04-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #2857
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just as a reminder I didn't swear by a source that Mike Anderson was going to be coach here. I just know that he would be if he was offered and our AD was too stupid to do so. And, again, I can tell you how I know if you want. Just PM me.

I was joking. I have no doubt you heard what you did. But other people act as if they hadn't had the same thing happen to them.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #2858
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I didn't have any 'sources'. I just posted a bunch of articles about it. You can verify that if you're bored.

Second guess..............Bill Clinton.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #2859
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I was joking. I have no doubt you heard what you did. But other people act as if they hadn't had the same thing happen to them.

Alright. No shortage of people that can't read around here and I'm tire of getting crap talked about me solely for that reason. Sorry.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #2860
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

FWIW, I'm not sure how you could have possibly been more clear about this.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #2861
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
This is what MJ4H said. This is in no way invalidated by what came to pass.

Quote:
FWIW, I'm not sure how you could have possibly been more clear about this.

I'm waiting for your confirmation that my source was correct about Coach K coming to Mizzou if Anderson was fired. I don't believe any events have disproven that information.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-13-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #2862
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FWIW.....if he was the second choice from that list, the AD needs to have his head examined.

+1
Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #2863
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm waiting for your confirmation that my source was correct about Coach K coming to Mizzou if Anderson was fired. I don't believe any events have disproven that information.

Sigh.

That's a perfectly legitimate criticism of his point. Unsurprisingly, that was not the point that I was responding to when I regrettably stepped into this. Therefore, there was and is no need for me to care about this point.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 04-13-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #2864
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Sigh.

That's a perfectly legitimate criticism of his point. Unsurprisingly, that was not the point that I was responding too when I regrettably stepped into this. Therefore, there was and is no need for me to care about this point.

Fair enough.

Third guess........Oprah.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #2865
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Only Kansas and UNC claim them, and to be honest, it is pretty weak to claim them, especially since the two programs that do, have many other things they can be proud of. These Helms titles are just a couple of guys going back over the years and deciding who was the best team based on whatever stats they were able to dig up.

According to wiki, about 20 schools officially claim pre-NIT/NCAA titles, including a number of Big East schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythica..._championships

http://athletics.syr.edu/documents/2009/12/4/Maine.pdf <-- 2nd page looks like an official claiming of the Helms titles to me in their game programs.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #2866
Radii
Head Coach

dola, that said, UNC and Kansas are the only two that hang banners for those titles. Definitely lame, but UNC loves their banners /shrug. If it were up to me it definitely wouldn't be hanging in the Dean Dome though.

Last edited by Radii : 04-13-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #2867
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
dola, that said, UNC and Kansas are the only two that hang banners for those titles. Definitely lame, but UNC loves their banners /shrug. If it were up to me it definitely wouldn't be hanging in the Dean Dome though.

That page you linked shows 2 Helms titles, but only 1 National Title (2003). I hate that UNC hangs a banner that says 1924 National Champs. Pet peeve, but really no big deal.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #2868
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I didn't bother debating the facts because the two things you pointed out don't change the argument.

As for the rest of your post, the ironic nature continues to provide great amusement.

That would be true if you simply made the statement that KU acknowledges the Helms titles. Then you had a legit argument. But instead you made the claim that MU was the better team during one of the years the Helms title was awarded to KU. Again, why bring MU into the discussion at all when your "point" was that KU acknowledges the Helms title? I think you need to face facts that it's in your nature to always try and make MU seem relevant.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #2869
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Only Kansas and UNC claim them, and to be honest, it is pretty weak to claim them, especially since the two programs that do, have many other things they can be proud of. These Helms titles are just a couple of guys going back over the years and deciding who was the best team based on whatever stats they were able to dig up.

Actually, I believe there are other schools that acknowledge the Helms title as well. Syracuse, Wisconsin, Purdue, Pittsburgh, and a few others are included. The fact is there is no harm in recognizing or denouncing the titles. It's a judgment call.

Doh, sorry didn't see your post Radii.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 04-13-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #2870
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Again, why bring MU into the discussion at all when your "point" was that KU acknowledges the Helms title? I think you need to face facts that it's in your nature to always try and make MU seem relevant.

MU doesn't have to seem relevant. They are relevant. But it's fun to watch you pretend to be neutral and act otherwise.

I brought up the example to illustrate how ridiculous some of the Helms championships are. As several have noted in line with my comments, they're silly at best. Kansas and UNC don't need to bother to display those banners next to the real championship banners.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #2871
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I brought up the example to illustrate how ridiculous some of the Helms championships are. As several have noted in line with my comments, they're silly at best. Kansas and UNC don't need to bother to display those banners next to the real championship banners.

The argument that retroactive subjective championships are silly is totally valid. HOWEVER, your argument read like this:

"these subjective championships are silly because Missouri doesn't have one that I subjectively believe they should have."

Old 04-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #2872
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
MU doesn't have to seem relevant. They are relevant. But it's fun to watch you pretend to be neutral and act otherwise.

So then explain to me why you made an argument for Missouri? If MU wasn't relevant in your point why bring them up? That's like me saying well Missouri hasn't been to a Final Four, but Kansas won a national championship in 2008. Who the hell cares when KU won a national championship if we're talking about Final Fours? I'm just waiting for you to explain how MU was at all relevant in your topic that KU acknowledges the Helms trophy?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #2873
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The argument that retroactive subjective championships are silly is totally valid. HOWEVER, your argument read like this:

"these subjective championships are silly because Missouri doesn't have one that I subjectively believe they should have."

Exactly! Thank you Radii!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #2874
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Washington gets a commitment from JC big man Aziz N'diaye today. He's a 7-footer originally from Senegal who was playing at Southern Idaho JC and had to sit out this past year with a knee injury. Oklahoma was the primary competition for him.

He reportedly runs the floor well and is expected to be an active defender and rebounder. He should give the Huskies some much needed help in the post.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #2875
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I'll let the UNC and KU fans argue this out. Their schools are the ones that claim them, not Mizzou.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #2876
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Washington gets a commitment from JC big man Aziz N'diaye today. He's a 7-footer originally from Senegal who was playing at Southern Idaho JC and had to sit out this past year with a knee injury. Oklahoma was the primary competition for him.

He reportedly runs the floor well and is expected to be an active defender and rebounder. He should give the Huskies some much needed help in the post.

I'm probably showing my age here, but any time I see a story about a 7 footer from Africa, I immediately think Manute Bol. Not that there's any legitimacy to that comparison, but that's the general visualization that pops into my head.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #2877
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
That page you linked shows 2 Helms titles, but only 1 National Title (2003).

It doesn't claim any "National Titles" It claims 2 Helms Championship and 1 NCAA Championship. Of course they are not going to claim an NCAA championship for a year in which the NCAA declared no champion.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #2878
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Couple of offseason things:

I've seen it in several places, but it's being reported that the announcement to expand the tournament to 96 teams will be made on April 29th. Lousy decision, but we're talking abou the NCAA here.

Also, I really hope that they move to put the 'charge circle' on the court for next year. Really no reason to not do that at this point. It's stupid to leave it to referee judgment when it's worked so well at other levels.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #2879
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'll let the UNC and KU fans argue this out. Their schools are the ones that claim them, not Mizzou.

Missouri can't claim it if they don't have it. Same goes for Final Fours and BCS bowls.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #2880
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Missouri can't claim it if they don't have it. Same goes for Final Fours and BCS bowls.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #2881
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I'm guessing you chose UNI because you couldn't find the youtube videos of MU beating KU this season?

PS: Still awaiting your explanation regarding why you brought up Missouri in an argument about KU and Helms titles. I'm all ears.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 04-14-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #2882
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm guessing you chose UNI because you couldn't find the youtube videos of MU beating KU this season?

PS: Still awaiting your explanation regarding why you brought up Missouri in an argument about KU and Helms titles. I'm all ears.

It's about time you guys swept us. I'd be gloating as well.

I already explained it in a previous post. I don't have time to repeat it slowly again for your benefit.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #2883
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Hey Bug, I'll toss you a bit of credit. You were right about Oregon wanting to throw around some money to land Coach Anderson, but as I noted in my previous comments, he's not leaving Mizzou. Multiple sources around Missouri are saying that Oregon offered him a contract today for $3M + incentives through outside channels. He has rejected it and told them he's not interested.

Edit: It was actually earlier this week, not today. Here's a brief note about it from a local sports radio outlet. It's also been reported by Rivals and a reporter in St. Louis.

http://www.810whb.com/blog/3313

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-14-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #2884
MrBug708
Head Coach

No way oregon was gonna pay Anderson 3 mil plus change. That's nearly a million more then Howland makes. I could see them throwing that towards Pitino or Izzo, but not towards Anderson
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #2885
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
No way oregon was gonna pay Anderson 3 mil plus change. That's nearly a million more then Howland makes. I could see them throwing that towards Pitino or Izzo, but not towards Anderson

If Memphis was going to pay Anderson more than that last year, I have no doubt that Oregon would pony up the $3M for Anderson. Obviously there's no doubt because that's exactly what they offered (informally, of course).

Izzo or Pitino would likely demand at least double that to take the Oregon job.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-14-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #2886
MrBug708
Head Coach

So they offer Few less then what they offer Anderson? And yet you think there is no doubt to it?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #2887
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It's about time you guys swept us. I'd be gloating as well.

I already explained it in a previous post. I don't have time to repeat it slowly again for your benefit.

You do realize that Mike Anderson has one win over Bill Self since he arrived in Columbia right? That means you've been swept three of the last four years. You just are not very good at this team trash talk are you?

Actually, I'm pretty sure you haven't explained it. I'm still waiting to hear how MU was at all relevant in a post about KU claiming Helms titles.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #2888
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

For those who haven't seen it yet, Brandon Knight committed to Kentucky today. Another great PG pickup by Calipari. Calipari also received a verbal from 2011 recruit Michael Gilchrist today. Calipari keeps rolling in the recruiting department.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #2889
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Oregon has a different situation than most schools. They have a guy with the ability and desire to pay the highest college footbal, basketball (and track, if anyone cares) coaches in the country out of his own pocket. I'll believe any dollar figure reported to have been offered by Oregon, no matter how it fits in with the current scale among coaches.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #2890
Logan
Head Coach

Do Kentucky fans really get any satisfaction from picking up all these one and done players?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #2891
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So they offer Few less then what they offer Anderson? And yet you think there is no doubt to it?

Absolutely none. Anderson has now proven twice in two conference with higher prestige than the West Coast Conference that he can take a program that is struggling and turn it around to be a perennial NCAA tournament team. Oregon is in that very same position right now. It's a perfect fit........if Anderson had a hint of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Oregon has a different situation than most schools. They have a guy with the ability and desire to pay the highest college footbal, basketball (and track, if anyone cares) coaches in the country out of his own pocket. I'll believe any dollar figure reported to have been offered by Oregon, no matter how it fits in with the current scale among coaches.

Exactly right. They're willing to pay any amount and the coaches know that, which escalates that pay scale quite a bit.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #2892
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Do Kentucky fans really get any satisfaction from picking up all these one and done players?

Depending on the potential NBA lockout, this entire class could be forced to play at least two years in college. This year's mass departures for Kentucky were a bit surprising. Wall and Cousins were likely to go pro, but I had no idea Bledsoe was going to be good enough to go pro. Credit Calipari though because he's done an incredible job of landing top notch recruits who are obviously NBA ready. I still believe the NBA rule regarding high school players being ineligible for the draft is a complete joke.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #2893
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Absolutely none. Anderson has now proven twice in two conference with higher prestige than the West Coast Conference that he can take a program that is struggling and turn it around to be a perennial NCAA tournament team. Oregon is in that very same position right now. It's a perfect fit........if Anderson had a hint of interest.

I don't see Anderson leaving MU this year unless an incredible opportunity in the south opens up. Oregon isn't a bad job by any means, but I don't think Anderson has any interest in re-locating to the northwest.

I do agree with Bug though in that Mark Few would likely get a better offer than Anderson. Few would be an incredible hire for Oregon given his reputation in the northwest already. I don't see Few leaving Gonzaga though. I'm interested to see where Oregon goes from here.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #2894
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't see Anderson leaving MU this year unless an incredible opportunity in the south opens up. Oregon isn't a bad job by any means, but I don't think Anderson has any interest in re-locating to the northwest.

He's not going to the South. He's already said privately that he has no interest in going to the SEC because of the level of dirty recruiting that you have to deal with.

Quote:
I do agree with Bug though in that Mark Few would likely get a better offer than Anderson.

Agree all you want. From all accounts, that didn't happen. At best, it appears Few was offered roughly the same deal. $3M + incentives.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-15-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #2895
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dola........

Here's a pretty good article from a day or two ago that summarizes the situation. A lot of it is stuff that I brought up initially after the Izzo offer, but it summarizes the pitfalls involved with landing a coach at the program.

Sports: Home | "UO basketball: Search hits reality check" | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

Quote:
UO basketball: Search hits reality check
It’s been four weeks since UO dismissed Ernie Kent and it appears to be no closer to hiring his successor
By Bob Clark

The Register-Guard

Appeared in print: Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn’t there somebody out there who wants to be the next Oregon basketball coach?

Presumably so, but finding that person hasn’t been an easy task.

Today marks four weeks since Oregon announced that Ernie Kent wouldn’t be retained for a 14th season, and the quest continues. Pat Kilkenny, the former UO director of athletics heading the search, is believed to be traveling again.

Where will this trip take him? Every day seems to bring a report of a new name, a coach or his representative who has been contacted by the search firm Oregon hired to assist it.

Who’s new? Mike Brey of Notre Dame, because he’s underpaid. There are still three or four coaches in the Big 12. Or is it still possibly someone connected to a team in the NBA? That regular season ends Wednesday.

Beyond all that, why is replacing Kent becoming such a drawn-out ordeal? Wake Forest didn’t need a week to fire and hire a coach. Iowa used a committee, and made its change in half the time that Oregon has already taken.

Aren’t both of those programs on a par with Oregon?

That might be the first and foremost issue with Oregon’s search: Where does this program rate in the eyes of coaches around the country?

One coach contacted for a past story on this topic suggested “Oregon in the Pac-10 is Iowa State in the Big 12. Do those people understand that?”

Probably not fans and boosters of the Ducks. Maybe not the search team either.

But most objective observers of the Oregon program would put it in the bottom half of the Pac-10, though this director of athletics and the one who proceeded him, who is now handling the search, say the expectations for Oregon should be to finish in the top half of the Pac-10 on a consistent basis.

Not that Oregon has often done that.

Beyond that, here are five reasons that the Oregon coaching job might not be that attractive:

1, What have others done?

The simple history of Oregon basketball is that of the coaches over the past six decades, five men have been pushed out of the job and the other two fled for jobs not usually coveted.

Those two would be Dick Harter, who left Oregon after seven seasons for Penn State, and Jerry Green, who lasted five seasons with the Ducks before slipping away to Tennessee.

That might have been Kent, too, except Oregon is his alma mater, and that kept Kent tied to the Ducks.

“Anybody else would have taken that Notre Dame job,” a former Kent assistant said of overtures made by the Irish to lure Kent in 2000, after the first NCAA appearance by the Ducks in Kent’s tenure, then only three seasons old.

That was too soon for Kent to leave, and when he took the Ducks to the Elite Eight in 2002, his own expectations for the program were raised so high he resisted looking seriously at other jobs.

Except for an alum or a coach nearing retirement, Oregon is always going to be a stepping stone for another job rather than a destination.

Since the conference expanded for the 1978-79 season, Oregon’s winning percentage against conference opponents is better than only Washington State’s. That’s also true going clear back to 1916, the first season any of the current members were in the Pacific Coast Conference.

Oregon basketball won’t be played across the street from a graveyard in the future, but coaches aren’t sure the job won’t lead them to one anyway.

2, Who’s the boss?

Coaches like to know who they work for, but who is that at Oregon?

The athletic director is leaving, and an interim has been named. A permanent hire will be made by this summer.

In other words, the incoming basketball coach knows his boss will be the fifth director of athletics at Oregon in the past four years.

Jamie Dixon at Pittsburgh was openly pleased when Steve Pederson returned to the school to run the department. At Texas A&M, Mark Turgeon has known Bill Byrne since they were both at Oregon.

No amount of persuasion by Kilkenny or the UO president can fully assuage the concerns of an incoming basketball coach, who also knows the new boss might have a different idea of what he wants in a basketball coach.

Need an example? The previous UO president thought Mike Bellotti would make a fine athletic director. Then that president was replaced, and so was Bellotti in a matter of months.

3, Show him the money

Oregon doesn’t want to pay a coach a dollar more than it has to, especially when the amounts are in the seven figures.

Coaches across the nation know of the report that Oregon would make a run at Tom Izzo, with the most-lucrative contract in college basketball. They keep hearing Billy Donovan mentioned as a possible candidate and know he makes $3.5 million.

Any decent coach has an ego. Does he take the Oregon job for $2 million if he thinks the Ducks have another million dollars to offer?

Oregon didn’t bowl over either Dixon or Turgeon with an initial financial offer. Maybe it couldn’t be done.

But any coach with a national reputation isn’t going to come out of this looking like he was hired on the cheap.

No, he’s going to want the pay to be commensurate with the risks of the job (see above and below).

4, The reach for recruits

Take a look at where the elite programs go for their talent. Yes, a North Carolina and a Duke can reach across the nation, but those are special cases.

Michigan State has nine players from Michigan on its roster, and three others from neighboring Ohio. Half of Donovan’s players are from the state of Florida. On the roster at Texas A&M, Turgeon has 11 players from Texas, with four each from Dallas and Houston, each of those cities less than half a day’s drive from the A&M campus.

And Oregon? There’s a player or two each year in the state, and Seattle isn’t that far off, but coaches know they’ll need to ride an airplane for most of their recruits.

Parents of prospective players know the distance they’ll have to travel to see Oregon play games.

But what about the new Matthew Knight Arena? That means Oregon’s facilities won’t be the detriment that McArthur Court has been in the past, but it still doesn’t shorten the travel for parents who want to see their son play.

5, The talent on hand

The coach who takes over at Oregon knows there are expectations to succeed immediately.

That means with the talent on hand. Oregon will have only one scholarship to offer for sure this spring with the uncertainty over whether Joevan Catron is awarded a medical redshirt year, and with the signing period beginning Wednesday, it could be that there are no Ducks added to the roster, considering the status of the coaching search.

Players aren’t going to wait for Oregon to make its choice; other schools are pressuring recruits for a decision. There is no guarantee that any players waiting for the UO hire will even be of interest to the new coach.

Yes, the incoming coach can create scholarship openings by urging current players to transfer, and scholarships are renewable each year, though a player can challenge such a decision.

There are hazards to that anyway, such as the academic progress report. Lose too many players, and it could lead to a loss of scholarships in future years.

So what about the talent on hand? An assistant coach familiar with the Oregon roster said “you know what you’re going to get from a player by the end of his sophomore year.”

That doesn’t speak well of Oregon’s roster of eight sophomores on scholarship since none of them even received honorable mention in the all-league voting of coaches. The only Duck who merited any consideration by coaches was freshman E.J. Singler, honorable mention for the league’s all-freshman selections.

Those recruiting rankings don’t always pan out, and it could well be that these current Ducks won’t for a new coach, either.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about these guys?

With Oregon’s difficulty in interesting a high-profile candidate in replacing Ernie Kent, should the Ducks take a more realistic approach to the process? Here are five coaches who have proved they can succeed in challenging jobs and wouldn’t break the budget.

Bobby Braswell: Cal State-Northridge coach is 216-202 in 14 seasons at a place where it can’t be easy to succeed. Also a former UO assistant, so the 47-year-old Braswell knows the landscape in Eugene.

Mike Dunlap: The 52-year-old UO associate head coach was interviewed for the Chicago Bulls job a couple of years ago, could have been interim head coach at Arizona and took Metro State to Division II national titles. Now likely to be new Colorado coach.

Stew Morrill: In a dozen years at Utah State, the 57-year-old Morrill is 294-99. Also won at Montana and Colorado State. Wouldn’t leave Logan? He interviewed at Washington State last year.

Eric Reveno: The 44-year-old former Stanford assistant is 59-65 in four seasons at Portland, but 40-23 over the past two and has the Pilots behind only Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s in the West Coast Conference.

Reggie Theus: Took over a New Mexico State program that was a mess, and went 41-23 in his two seasons before Sacramento Kings hired him. Didn’t do well there, but he’s 42 and has maybe learned some lessons.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #2896
MrBug708
Head Coach

That was a terrible article. It has some valid points like #2 and #5, but misses on the other three
Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #2897
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tho I could see them settling on Theus
Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #2898
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
he has no interest in going to the SEC because of the level of dirty recruiting that you have to deal with.

Good thing he'll never have to deal with that in a conference including Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado or Kansas.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #2899
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Good thing he'll never have to deal with that in a conference including Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado or Kansas.

I don't even think it's remotely close to the same level of 'dirty'.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #2900
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Dunn is going to enter the NBA draft according to some Baylor boards. Really would hurt Baylor if he ends up leaving early.

Dunn To Announce Decision Today

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-15-2010 at 02:06 PM.