Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #29251
tarcone
Coordinator

Yes, money needs to leave politics. That way the rich will not own the politicians. Yes there would be a revolving door. But if me or you could run, would that not be better? Why are we listening to legislatures who get to make their own rules that are different for me and you? Why do those national politicians get to ram a health care act through, yet enjoy free health care themselves from some of the best doctors in the world.

Why do these politicians make millions as a politician and then millions more as a lobbyist with there obscene pension?

Until the system is fixed, welcome to the end of our empire.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #29252
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Term limits by themselves won't evaporate the power though. It will just shift to the lobbyists.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #29253
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

You can't get money out of politics without limiting political speech. It's the age-old conundrum; you can have equality, or you can have freedom. You cannot have both at the same time beyond a certain point.

If we want the freedom to choose those who represent us, then we have to accept the responsibility to do so and not blame the rich and powerful when we continue to put corrupt people into office and refuse to hold them accountable. We can't have it both ways.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #29254
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah, I always liked Jed Bartlet's comment about term limits. "We have term limits. They're called elections." If people want someone in for 6, 7, 8 or more terms, then why shouldn't they have that right? We don't just get rid of corrupt politicians, we allso get rid of the John Lewises and Richard Lugars.

This idea that we get rid of career politicians and suddenly a bunch of Jimmy Stewarts from Mr. Smith Goes to Washington are going to be running the House and Senate is hopelessly naive. There is no shortage of corrupt people. When the Republicans finally got rid of Rostenkowski, Blagojevich ended up inheriting his seat.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #29255
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump has left Walter Reed to go back to the White House-in a caravan of vehicles, waving at the crowds
Old 10-04-2020, 04:41 PM   #29256
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's one of the most reckless things I've ever seen from a President. He's willfully putting the lives of the Secret Service agents at risk. God bless them.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #29257
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Can a military hospital tell the President of the United States what to do? I’m really wondering if he just decided that he feels better and wants out. I would not put it past him at all.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #29258
Ben E Lou

I’m seeing conflicting reports now. Some are saying that he went back to the hospital, that this was just a drive around and wave at them publicity stunt.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #29259
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

According to his video he was just waving at supporters.

But they are still talking about going back to the WH tomorrow. How many people have been in the room while he's been maskless for photos and videos?

What's the opposite of virtue signaling?
Old 10-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #29260
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Im seeing conflicting reports now. Some are saying that he went back to the hospital, that this was just a drive around and wave at them publicity stunt.

Yeah I was confused about that when I posted. If this was just a stunt...
Old 10-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #29261
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

What's the opposite of virtue signaling?

I nominate the term "Trumping" to describe it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #29262
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #29263
AlexB
Pro Starter

Does “trumped” mean farted in the US too? Only just struck me how apt a descriptive term that is for everything he does!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #29264
Ksyrup

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #29265
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Can a military hospital tell the President of the United States what to do? Im really wondering if he just decided that he feels better and wants out. I would not put it past him at all.

I am not sure this would be than if he went to a civilian hospital. Unless someone decides he is a danger to himself and/or others, he is free to go afaik.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasnt. I have a voice on the radio, he hasnt. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I havent the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I dont own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #29266
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He sounds like Billy Eichner.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:12 PM   #29267
kingfc22
Head Coach

Okay Joe. You have so much new material. Time to fire those ads back on.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #29268
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Yeah, I always liked Jed Bartlet's comment about term limits. "We have term limits. They're called elections." If people want someone in for 6, 7, 8 or more terms, then why shouldn't they have that right? We don't just get rid of corrupt politicians, we allso get rid of the John Lewises and Richard Lugars.

This idea that we get rid of career politicians and suddenly a bunch of Jimmy Stewarts from Mr. Smith Goes to Washington are going to be running the House and Senate is hopelessly naive. There is no shortage of corrupt people. When the Republicans finally got rid of Rostenkowski, Blagojevich ended up inheriting his seat.

Aw, my last vote when I lived in Indiana was in the GOP primary for Dick Luger over some Tea Party putz (a race he'd end up losing and then said Tea Party putz said something really stupid about abortion being god's will or something and lost an eminently winnable race; this was in 2012 and if it happened today probably wouldn't cost the nut his seat)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-04-2020 at 06:35 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:30 PM   #29269
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It is terrible that the White House is not just holding back information, but straight lying about the President's condition. I will say that the number of people that keep trying to find the worst possible outcome from every bit of information that we do get seem to sound like wishful thinking than what is likely reality.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #29270
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's one of the most reckless things I've ever seen from a President. He's willfully putting the lives of the Secret Service agents at risk. God bless them.

The SUV is supposedly sealed against chemical warfare attacks so god bless all those impacted by this stunt.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:48 PM   #29271
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

The issue is that the current system has made it incredibly difficult for the average person to run for office.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:54 AM   #29272
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

in his photo op he is writing on a blank piece of paper with a marker
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:13 AM   #29273
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The behavior of the average voter is what causes that, not the system.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #29274
Ksyrup

The current situation has only reconfirmed my belief in term limits. I acknowledge and agree that you won't remove corruption from politics by instituting term limits, but that's not really the goal. In a polarized, 2-party system that treats not voting with your team as a job death sentence, I simply want a system that allows and encourages elected officials to speak their minds and vote how they want to vote. Look at how many retiring/resigning GOPers have spoken out against Trump. Even if term limits results in a fraction of officials feeling free to do what they believe is right and not simply what the party wants, it would be worth it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-05-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #29275
Ben E Lou

Looks like he has set a personal record for all-caps tweets in one morning...
Old 10-05-2020, 07:56 AM   #29276
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My fear with term limits is that it gives lobbyists even more power because they will start to have the institutional memory that the Congress lacks.

I'm against them, but I understand the arguments on the other side.

My simple* reforms:

1. The 1/3 most populous states get 3 senators
The 1/3 in the middle get 2
The smallest 1/3 get 1

2. The House is greatly expanded (and automatically grows as the population does)
Gerrymandering is eliminated

3. Federal elections are generously funded with public money

My thoughts:

The Senate thing is self-explanatory

The House thing would force reps to be more responsive to their constituents. There would be less of them, so they would be harder to ignore. And if most districts have a mix of people in them, it will be harder to win them as an extremist.

And the money thing is a way to reduce the value of private donations without banning them.

*By "simple," I mean simple to understand. I understand that actually enacting these reforms would be nigh impossible.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:00 AM   #29277
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

CoS Mark Meadows, in essence says he's a war hero for staying with Trump.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #29278
BYU 14
Coordinator

Isn't he also the one that blamed the military for getting Hicks sick?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #29279
spleen1015
Coordinator

Meadows is like Will from the Big Brother show way back in the beginning.

He lies straight to your face while working against you behind your back. Then when he gets caught, he begs for forgiveness and for some reason you fall for it and forgive him. Then, he does it again.

He fits perfectly with Trump.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 10-05-2020 at 08:39 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #29280
larrymcg421
Head Coach

As much as I'd like to see it, Senate reform is never going to happen. Every state (not just 3/4ths) would have to agree to it and I don't see that happening.

It is crazy, though, that the Senate and Electoral College aspects of our federal government can not be replicated on a state level as SCOTUS has declared that it violates the one man, one vote principle.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #29281
Edward64
Head Coach

Add Kayleigh McEnany to the list.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #29282
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Add Kayleigh McEnany to the list.

And she briefed the press without a mask
Old 10-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #29283
Thomkal
Head Coach

Reading some of the comments from a Conservative Twitter account and blocking a lot of "boy sure look like they were targeted"...responses. Yes they were targeted...by their own stupidity and arrogance.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #29284
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If a private business was run so poorly(say a wal mart), they'd be shut down.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #29285
kingfc22
Head Coach

Can we at least get one Darwin award out of all this.

The ignorance and stupidity levels of this administration are just off the charts.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #29286
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Can we at least get one Darwin award out of all this.

The ignorance and stupidity levels of this administration are just off the charts.

I'm Herman Cain, and I support this message.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #29287
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Joe Biden lacks the experience of having a deadly virus.

Last edited by JPhillips : 10-05-2020 at 11:14 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #29288
whomario
Pro Starter

Kayleigh McEnany calling herself an "essential worker" who has "provided needed information to the american people" lol
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #29289
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm going to need a bingo card.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #29290
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
As much as I'd like to see it, Senate reform is never going to happen. Every state (not just 3/4ths) would have to agree to it and I don't see that happening.

It is crazy, though, that the Senate and Electoral College aspects of our federal government can not be replicated on a state level as SCOTUS has declared that it violates the one man, one vote principle.

I would just like to see those who will inevitably be displaced from California (fires, etc) move to ID, WY, UT, MT...
Old 10-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #29291
thesloppy
Pro Starter

€œDon Jr. Thinks Trump Is Acting Crazy€: The President€™s COVID Joyride Has the Family Divided | Vanity Fair

"There is a long history in the Trump family of denying serious illness. According to a Trump family friend, Trump's father, Fred Trump Sr., insisted on working even after his Alzheimer's disease advanced in the 1990s. "To retire is to expire!" Fred Sr. would say. The friend said that as Fred Sr.'s disease worsened--he once came down the stairs wearing three neckties--the family created a system so that Fred could think he was still running the Trump Organization. Every day Fred Sr. would go to the office in Brooklyn and they would give him blank papers to sort through and sign. The phone on Fred's desk was set up so that it could only dial out to his secretary. "Fred pretended to work," the family friend said."

I am seeing a fair amount of pushback against the dude who wrote that article FWIW. I guess his 'scoops' have been pretty suspect in the past.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-05-2020 at 12:29 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #29292
Atocep
Coordinator

How bad are things when Don Jr is trying to be the voice of reason?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #29293
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It is terrible that the White House is not just holding back information, but straight lying about the President's condition. I will say that the number of people that keep trying to find the worst possible outcome from every bit of information that we do get seem to sound like wishful thinking than what is likely reality.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think this is a valid criticism for me. I think the older I get, the more lying bothers the fuck out of me. I did not think it was possible to say "even worse" when it comes to lying but it is EVEN WORSE when it is so consistent and so unnecessary. He has COVID. All of the lies and theatrics are unnecessary and potentially harmful. I am probably going to wish for the worst possible outcome because that is the only justification for a grown man to constantly lie that could possibly make sense to me. Sort of like the guy who lies to his wife about going to work everyday even though he lost his job two months ago. I still hate it but that make a bit of sense.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasnt. I have a voice on the radio, he hasnt. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I havent the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I dont own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #29294
Thomkal
Head Coach

The latest take from the Trump Campaign: Joe Biden doesn't have the experience of dealing with the virus firsthand, so how can he be a good President?
Old 10-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #29295
Thomkal
Head Coach

Early voting started in a number of states today, including here in South Carolina. I'm still waiting for my absentee ballot to come so I can send it in.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #29296
kingfc22
Head Coach

Have I missed an update from Trump's doctor today? It's almost 2PM Eastern.

Why is Trump not on Marine One headed to the White House today if everything is roses.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #29297
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
The latest take from the Trump Campaign: Joe Biden doesn't have the experience of dealing with the virus firsthand, so how can he be a good President?

Welp, that does it! I'm not voting for Biden now. Can't have someone that doesn't know how to deal with the virus. I want someone that does, even if it's dealing with it in complete and utter incompetence. Experience is experience.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #29298
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Welp, that does it! I'm not voting for Biden now. Can't have someone that doesn't know how to deal with the virus. I want someone that does, even if it's dealing with it in complete and utter incompetence. Experience is experience.

Does this make Biden a Covid outsider?
Old 10-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #29299
Ben E Lou

I like candidates that didn't get the virus.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #29300
Atocep
Coordinator

Cornyn took a shot at Trump today by saying "it's not easy trying to get things done working with him or the White House" while criticizing his handling of COVID. The fact that he is actually having to campaign and compete for his job for the first time in years must be wearing on him.