Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #251
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Anyone else watching Running Wilde?
I gave up after last week. If Mitch Hurwitz can only be bothered to write the first episode of the four that have aired, why should I care about the show? The first episode showed promise, the second episode was OK (a reasonable approximation of Hurwitz's style) and the third episode was awful. When I saw that the fourth episode was also not written by Hurwitz, I gave up.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Medium Cancelled by CBS
Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #253
DanGarion
Coordinator

Glad Human Target is back! yeehaw!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Glad Human Target is back! yeehaw!

Umm ... err ... gosh ...

Human Target returned below a 2.0, with a 1.8 adults 18-49 rating that will put it into the discussion with Fringe and Lie To Me about which shows won’t be back. Not sure it’s much of a silver lining, but Human Target was actually up a tenth from its Wednesday 8pm season finale last April.
TV Ratings Wednesday: ‘Modern Family,’ Down, but Tops ; ‘Human Target’ Returns Weakly; Defenders, Law & Orders Rise
Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #255
Thomkal
Head Coach

that would suck if Fringe is cancelled
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:21 AM   #256
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

The fact that it is currently my favorite show on tv means that it most likely will be cancelled. I have a long history of the shows that I like alot just getting killed unfortunately.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #257
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

The fact that it is currently my favorite show on tv means that it most likely will be cancelled. I have a long history of the shows that I like alot just getting killed unfortunately.

<----will come and hunt you down then if Fringe is cancelled
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:11 AM   #258
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Big fan of Lie To Me, hope it gets another season or two.

I'd understand if the concept of the show got stale really quick... but, hell, Tim Roth is the fucking man!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #259
Easy Mac

Terriers is cancelled. It got horrid ratings, but it may have been the best show on television.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/fx-ca...erriers,48637/
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #260
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Terriers is cancelled. It got horrid ratings, but it may have been the best show on television.

Not sure it was the best show, but I certainly enjoyed it...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #261
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think they did a poor job of marketing it. I would see the commercials and have no clue what it was about. Just made me think it was a stupid show with a stupid name trying to be clever.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #262
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Chicago Code looks like your typical piece a' crap cop show..

"Oh.. look at me. I'm a cop riding on the edge. Watch out, I might need to break some rules."
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #263
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I will be pissed if Fringe and Human Target are canceled, more so with Fringe. Fringe is one of the best shows on TV and I am in love with the lead actress.

*Fun fact the lead actor in Human Target is married to the lead actress on Fringe.*
Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #264
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is there talk of Fringe being canned? I hope not, great show.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #265
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

TV by the numbers has it likely to be canceled.

Bubble Watch 2011-12: How Can Blue Bloods and CSI: NY Get Over 10 Million Viewers and Be ‘On the Bubble’!?

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 12-06-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #266
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is there talk of Fringe being canned? I hope not, great show.

I haven't seen anything where Fox was considering it, but there seems to have been speculation from various publications about the possibility. Jon likely would know better though on that type of thing.

We had been discussing it here though in this thread only 2 or so weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Umm ... err ... gosh ...

Human Target returned below a 2.0, with a 1.8 adults 18-49 rating that will put it into the discussion with Fringe and Lie To Me about which shows won’t be back. Not sure it’s much of a silver lining, but Human Target was actually up a tenth from its Wednesday 8pm season finale last April.
TV Ratings Wednesday: ‘Modern Family,’ Down, but Tops ; ‘Human Target’ Returns Weakly; Defenders, Law & Orders Rise

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
<----will come and hunt you down then if Fringe is cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Big fan of Lie To Me, hope it gets another season or two.

I'd understand if the concept of the show got stale really quick... but, hell, Tim Roth is the fucking man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I will be pissed if Fringe and Human Target are canceled, more so with Fringe. Fringe is one of the best shows on TV and I am in love with the lead actress.

*Fun fact the lead actor in Human Target is married to the lead actress on Fringe.*

Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #267
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

Fun fact, the lead actor in Human Target was in numerous episodes of Fringe.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #268
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Fun fact, the lead actor in Human Target was in numerous episodes of Fringe.

He was also on Boston Legal for a couple of seasons, as well as the star of Keen Eddie, another great show that only lasted a few episodes. I think Human Target has plots and special effects/stunts that are as good as most big budget caper movies. OTOH, I'm disappointed in the addition of the thief and 'owner' characters, both women, neither character benefiting from great writing and a little short in the acting skills. Although 'Mrs Pucci' has been better in several BBC series I've seen her in.

Chalk me up as one who greatly enjoyed Terriers, but knew the end was near.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #269
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

They are moving Fringe to Fridays which doesn't seem like a good sign to me. Especially since X-Factor will be eating up 3 hours a week next season on Fox (we really need another sack of shit show like this?).

I just hope they can find a way to wrap things up before the season ends. It's a terrific show that is just too smart for the average public. John Noble is truly a magnificent actor.

With this and Friday Night Lights coming to an end, I'm not left with much good TV anymore.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #270
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

It just never ceases to amaze me the high number of the shows I actually watch end up on these lists each year. I would estimate perhaps as much as 70% of the shows I watch (that aren't movies or sports) are listed here.

It saddens me that I am in such a minority compared to what most people actually enjoy, that I likely will end up with very little enjoyable television at some point.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #271
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It saddens me that I am in such a minority compared to what most people actually enjoy, that I likely will end up with very little enjoyable television at some point.

If you aren't there already then you may not ever really get there, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel pretty hard already.

On the bright side, as the voice of experience, I can tell you that after a while you pretty much get used to it.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #272
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

"Community" is on the bubble?!!

Son of a...
Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #273
StLee
High School Varsity

For the love of everything that is fictional science, please tell me Fringe won't be canceled! And if it is, please tell me that every "fringe" network, like the Sci-Fi channel or FX or AMC or whatever, is rubbing their hands in waiting to pick the show up and let it soar.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:13 AM   #274
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLee View Post
For the love of everything that is fictional science, please tell me Fringe won't be canceled! And if it is, please tell me that every "fringe" network, like the Sci-Fi channel or FX or AMC or whatever, is rubbing their hands in waiting to pick the show up and let it soar.

Here's a take on what it might need to have a chance to survive.
Will Fringe, Human Target And Lie To Me Be Cancelled or Renewed?

Worth noting: Dollhouse is the only scripted show that aired on a Friday on Fox that returned to the line up the following season during this decade.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #275
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

For the first time, I've actually started to notice my own feelings towards giving TV shows a shot have changed. . Now mind you, I have 2 Tivos that we use to record shows and watch on our schedule. But I've noticed it's getting emptier & emptier. I think the whole model of TV shows/viewing habits have to change. I don't think they have accounted for all of the DVR viewing that occurs. Or Netflix for that matter.

I think it's another example of the dumbing down effect. Several good shows in the past few seasons have been cancelled. But all of them required the viewer to think. And to be committed to the show. Not sure it's as sustainable anymore. And so it becomes increasingly frustrating to invest in shows, only to have them be cancelled. So I find myself recording 9-10 episodes of a new show, wait to see if the ratings will hold up or not, and then either watch to catch up or delete and move on.

Now I don't mind an episode or two of Billy The Exterminator any more than the next person, but enough is enough. Do we really need another reality show? And who do people still care about David Hasselhoff?

Oh well... I feel a rant coming on, so I'll just drop it.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #276
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here's a take on what it might need to have a chance to survive.
Will Fringe, Human Target And Lie To Me Be Cancelled or Renewed?

Worth noting: Dollhouse is the only scripted show that aired on a Friday on Fox that returned to the line up the following season during this decade.

Interestingly enough, Dollhouse is another one of the shows that I liked that was canceled. I think that is the reoccuring theme for me, the genre of tv shows that I enjoy alot just are not popular enough to have the major networks carry them. Other shows such as Journeyman, Jericho, etc I also enjoyed but they ended too soon.

Interestingly enough, I never even turn on the Sci-fi channel, and couldn't even tell you what shows are on that channel. Maybe I should honestly give it a try some time. I just don't really necessarily categorize myself as a "Sci-fi" fan, but it is becoming apparent the only place to watch these type of shows might be that channel I guess.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #277
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I don't think they have accounted for all of the DVR viewing that occurs. Or Netflix for that matter.

Netflix I can't address, but DVR is definitely taken into consideration by the networks. Of course that's mostly for shows that are floundering & they're looking for any reason to throw them a lifeline. Here's a little tidbit from the blogosphere about a month ago The three shows canceled so far this season (Lone Star, My Generation, Outlaw)? Their premieres only got a 0.1 boost from Same Day playback.

Quote:
But all of them required the viewer to think. And to be committed to the show. Not sure it's as sustainable anymore.

I agree about the sustainability question, but I think there's a fair argument to be made that lifestyle changes play as big a part as anything. I mean, I know relatively few people who have a schedule that allows them to do appointment viewing or even watch most of what they might DVR. And when they do watch TV, they're much more likely to seek brief escape - either with people who are better off, more interesting, or facing even more seriously f'ed up situations - instead of anything that requires much concentration.

Quote:
Do we really need another reality show?

As long as people are watching them in reasonable numbers, then the obvious answer would be yes.

Quote:
And who do people still care about David Hasselhoff?
Well, it remains to be seen how many care (which I think will be a decent number for Sunday night cable) but more importantly how many care enough to watch regularly (which I think will be few, the show is apparently pretty awful)
Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #278
Easy Mac

Quote:
I agree about the sustainability question, but I think there's a fair argument to be made that lifestyle changes play as big a part as anything. I mean, I know relatively few people who have a schedule that allows them to do appointment viewing or even watch most of what they might DVR. And when they do watch TV, they're much more likely to seek brief escape - either with people who are better off, more interesting, or facing even more seriously f'ed up situations - instead of anything that requires much concentration.

This.

There are more shows that I want to watch, but since I had a kid, I don't have the time. So instead, while I have probably 100 episodes of shows DVR'd, I only come back to the ones I especially like the most week after week during the limited time I have. So Fringe, Terriers, Community, etc. get watched weekly, while I have a over a season of house, parenthood, chuck and gossip girl, to watch. I love those shows, but they get knocked aside for ones at the top of the list.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #279
Easy Mac

Quote:
Interestingly enough, Dollhouse is another one of the shows that I liked that was canceled. I think that is the reoccuring theme for me, the genre of tv shows that I enjoy alot just are not popular enough to have the major networks carry them. Other shows such as Journeyman, Jericho, etc I also enjoyed but they ended too soon.

Interestingly enough, I never even turn on the Sci-fi channel, and couldn't even tell you what shows are on that channel. Maybe I should honestly give it a try some time. I just don't really necessarily categorize myself as a "Sci-fi" fan, but it is becoming apparent the only place to watch these type of shows might be that channel I guess.

Generally, the budget isn't high enough for SyFy to really make their genre shows worth it.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #280
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Generally, the budget isn't high enough for SyFy to really make their genre shows worth it.

The only two scripted shows on ScyFy at the moment I would consider worth a watch are Eureka and Warehouse 13, and they're very much shows I'd considered lightweight entertainment rather than anything particularly compelling.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #281
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So Fringe, Terriers, Community, etc. get watched weekly, while I have a over a season of house, parenthood, chuck and gossip girl, to watch. I love those shows, but they get knocked aside for ones at the top of the list.

And Terriers got canned.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #282
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

The fact that networks look at "Same Day viewing" seems a little unhelpful. I watch approximately 1% of my DVR'd shows on the day it aired.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
The fact that networks look at "Same Day viewing" seems a little unhelpful. I watch approximately 1% of my DVR'd shows on the day it aired.

Beyond that mark however, the value to advertisers becomes less & less. And make no mistake, since they're the ones paying for network programs, that's what matters most.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #284
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Beyond that mark however, the value to advertisers becomes less & less. And make no mistake, since they're the ones paying for network programs, that's what matters most.

I can see that perspective from advertisers. Half of the commercials are either promotions for upcoming shows or sales or events that take place in the immediate future.

If you watch your recording as much as one week late, then a good majority of the commercials are probably pointless at that moment.

It seems networks really need to continue their push for "on demand" television to get users to prefer that over DVR programs. That way if a user can get the show whenever they want, the network can then insert advertisements that make sense for that moment instead of a week old ads.

That is one of my largest complaints about networks right now is their policies regarding on demand viewing seems to be shooting themselves in the foot. By only keeping 3-4 weeks of shows, it reduces the impact of their on demand platform and pushes people to use other things like DVR which has even less impact for them.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #285
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Well, it remains to be seen how many care (which I think will be a decent number for Sunday night cable) but more importantly how many care enough to watch regularly (which I think will be few, the show is apparently pretty awful)

Apparently your sources are pretty accurate for the Hasselhoffs:
Quote:
The Hasslehoffs opened meekly, with just a 0.3 adults 18-49 rating and 718,000 viewers.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That way if a user can get the show whenever they want, the network can then insert advertisements that make sense for that moment instead of a week old ads.

Except that, speaking generally, the rates for those ads (I'm thinking of online viewing "program will begin in 30 seconds" ads here) are significantly lower per person than what is paid for traditional viewing.

Until that changes (and that's going to take a while yet), you'd be talking about a noticeable drop in revenue.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #287
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Apparently your sources are pretty accurate for the Hasselhoffs:

Eh, I figured it would open at least a little better than that but considering it was up against both Housewives of Atlanta and a record setting performance by Walking Dead, in hindsight I should have adjusted my expectations downward.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #288
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

The people have spoken:

Quote:
Hoff he goes: After airing just two episodes, A&E pulled David Hasselhoff’s new reality series, The Hasselhoffs, from its schedule.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #289
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

We got around to watching the final episode of Terriers last night, and it was terrific, very much in keeping with the tone and style of the series. The ending does wrap up the story line and leaves the two main characters literally in a 'choose the road' point that I found satisfying. Also, I thought the choice of music they used as the story line wrapped up was as wonderful and dead on as other musical choices and hope to learn its name since I never heard it before.

If you get the chance to watch all the episodes on DVD, do so, you won't be disappointed.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #290
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
We got around to watching the final episode of Terriers last night, and it was terrific, very much in keeping with the tone and style of the series. The ending does wrap up the story line and leaves the two main characters literally in a 'choose the road' point that I found satisfying.
From an interview with the producer about what would have happened next season
Spoiler
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #291
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
From an interview with the producer about what would have happened next season
Spoiler

Thanks, that was indeed what I was expecting Britt to do.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #292
Bad-example
College Starter

The Larry Sanders Show is airing on IFC. While the commercial breaks are brutal it is still one of the best shows of all time. I guess the musical licensing issues were finally resolved and the dvd was finally released in November.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #293
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm going through Sanders on DVD right now and it definitely holds up. If anyone can find the pilot for Ricky Gervais Meets with him interviewing Gary Shandling it's a pretty awesome watch. It's either brilliantly worked or some of the most awkward television you will ever see.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #294
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone seen Chopped on the food Network? Seriously addicting show.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #295
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Love it.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #296
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

I became a big fan of the "Chopped Champions" version that was on during the fall but haven't really watched the "regular" version of the show since then. Great show, though.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #297
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

yep.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #298
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola-
I like that worst chefs in america show.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #299
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Please open your basket. You have pig bung, rye bread, chocolate mousse and brussels sprouts.

That Alex Guarnaschelli annoys the hell out of me though.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #300
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I became a big fan of the "Chopped Champions" version that was on during the fall but haven't really watched the "regular" version of the show since then. Great show, though.

Is this a version where all the previous winners compete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

That Alex Guarnaschelli annoys the hell out of me though.

All the judges are obnoxious foodies, but in a way that we just laugh at their absurd arrogance. The Latino guy is pretty cool, but the rest are clowns.