Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2004, 05:44 PM   #251
Logan
Head Coach

Don't know everything in the exact situation, but you are responsible for his entire signing bonus, even after trading him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 05:48 PM   #252
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Why is it that when I trade a $9 Mil guy for a $400 K guy, my Cap status gets worse instead of better... same thing when trading Big Salary guys for just picks?????
When you trade/release a guy, all his remaining bonus money (that's spread out over the entire deal) goes to your cap for that year. So if you have a guy with a lot of bonus money and you get rid of him, you'll end up paying more this year (but no more afterwards).
Old 07-24-2004, 07:22 PM   #253
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Is there a way I can play against my own VIP? I've played about 10 or so games total with my VIP but I can't figure out how to load him up to see how accuratley this thing keeps track of how I play.

And another person mentioned downloading somebody elses VIP, where did you do that? Was that an X-Box only feature or can I do that with my PlayStation 2 as well? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:21 PM   #254
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
When you trade/release a guy, all his remaining bonus money (that's spread out over the entire deal) goes to your cap for that year. So if you have a guy with a lot of bonus money and you get rid of him, you'll end up paying more this year (but no more afterwards).

I would like for someone else to run some tests on this. When I trade guys I try to trade guys with very low bonus money, to avoid having to pay for them. However, when I do a trade the salary cap actually decreases.

For example, prior to the trade the salary cap is $~85M but after a trade the salary cap is listed as $59M. I would assume that the total spent would go up when you pay a players bonus money, not that the cap would go down (call me crazy).

But if someone could run some tests to see why (and if there is a pattern to how much) the cap amount decreases post trade, I'd greatly appreciate it. Whether this is a bug or my own misunderstanding about how the salary cap works (probably pretty likely), it is the #1 reason why I'm not enjoying the single player game right now (I'm afraid to trade anyone).
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:26 PM   #255
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
Is there a way I can play against my own VIP? I've played about 10 or so games total with my VIP but I can't figure out how to load him up to see how accuratley this thing keeps track of how I play.

And another person mentioned downloading somebody elses VIP, where did you do that? Was that an X-Box only feature or can I do that with my PlayStation 2 as well? Thanks for the help guys.

I know that both are possible with the X-Box version. In order to play against my own VIP I go into a "Quick Match" from the main screen and at the VIP screen I load up a VIP for the computer team (In the XBox version there is on screen instructions for this).

Downloading another players VIP for XBox is done by highlighting another player on one of the screens and pressing down on the right thumbstick. That takes you to a player card (of sorts) and it has the option to download their VIP. (Not sure how it works with PS2). Its a little tricky to play against it because first you have to go into options and "load" the VIP before going to an exhibition...er "quick" game and once again loading the VIP (see above) for the computer opponent.

Sorry I can't help with the PS2 part, but maybe by hearing how it is done with the XBox will help in someway.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:49 PM   #256
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Now I have a really big problem with this game. One that may have me running to Madden.

Picture it. NYG vs. WAS, the Redskins are winning 17-13 at the 2 minute warning. Eli Manning, in his second season, takes the snap at the Washington 15, drops back and hits Toomer for the TOUCHDOWN! New York now leads 20-17.

Washington gets the ball, drivs the field and with 1:05 left misses a long FG attempt. NY gets the ball, runs three plays forcing Washington to use all 3 time outs. But they get no where and have to punt the ball. Washing manages a first down or two but with no time outs are left with just 11 seconds left as Ramsey spikes the ball at the NYG 35 yard line.

Ramsey takes the snap, throws a bomb, it's COMPLETE! To the New York 32 yard line but with only 5 seconds left, not enough time to run up and spike the ball and the game is over....

But it's not. Up comes with play call screen with the AI's FG attampt already selected (no time runs down), I pick FG block thinking "wtf....", to the game where the AI lines up and snaps the ball with 1 second left and hits the FG to send into overtime.

Not possible. Not even remotely possible. It's possible for receivers to drop 12 balls in a single game (which happened twice to me in NCAA). It is outside the realm of possibility for a FG unti to come onto the field, have the OL from 30 yards back run up, set up, and snap the football in under 5 seconds. It's just not possible.

I hit Simulate to end (I lose).....I don't save it. I turn off my XBox.

Good thing this game only set me back 20 bucks...

That flat out stinks and would likely end up a dust collector. I'm going to start a franchise soon, and if that happens to me.. well, I guess you won't get much on trade in.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:00 PM   #257
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
That flat out stinks and would likely end up a dust collector. I'm going to start a franchise soon, and if that happens to me.. well, I guess you won't get much on trade in.

Todd

Talk about a disappointing last few weeks for games. Does anyone know if TPF2 is coming out this fall?!?!
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:06 PM   #258
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Does anyone know if TPF2 is coming out this fall?!?!

Bah, who cares about TPF2. I want to get my hands on Front Office (Pro) Basketball...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:12 PM   #259
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
For example, prior to the trade the salary cap is $~85M but after a trade the salary cap is listed as $59M. I would assume that the total spent would go up when you pay a players bonus money, not that the cap would go down (call me crazy).
Actually, I've seen that mentioned elsewhere here on FOFC (not sure which thread). Sounds like a potential bug.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:29 PM   #260
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've seen the decreasing salary cap mentioned on here too. I really am hoping it doesn't happen to me as I'm about to start a franchise tonight or tomorrow.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:31 AM   #261
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I am having a blast with the game. In 3 or 4 seasons of franchise I have only seen one bad trade and I have yet to hear Berman mess up a highlight during SC. Maybe I have just been lucky.

However, the one thing I really didnt enjoy is the draft. There is just no clear way of knowing which players to scout and eventually pick. I have found a solution though. I have no idea if it has been mentioned, but when your pick is up you can exit and go watch Mel Kiper's draft preview. He will tell you who he thinks are the best players still available. It wrongly treats it like you would be picking 1st overall, but it still gives you a good idea of who the best choices are. To do this just go back, highlight the NFL combine, then click the right thumbstick to get to sportscenter.

Using Kiper's advice I just picked up a CB rated 84 in the 1st, a SS rated 75 in the second, and another player rated 72 in the 3rd.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:27 AM   #262
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Thumbs up Sweet tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033
I am having a blast with the game. In 3 or 4 seasons of franchise I have only seen one bad trade and I have yet to hear Berman mess up a highlight during SC. Maybe I have just been lucky.

However, the one thing I really didnt enjoy is the draft. There is just no clear way of knowing which players to scout and eventually pick. I have found a solution though. I have no idea if it has been mentioned, but when your pick is up you can exit and go watch Mel Kiper's draft preview. He will tell you who he thinks are the best players still available. It wrongly treats it like you would be picking 1st overall, but it still gives you a good idea of who the best choices are. To do this just go back, highlight the NFL combine, then click the right thumbstick to get to sportscenter.

Using Kiper's advice I just picked up a CB rated 84 in the 1st, a SS rated 75 in the second, and another player rated 72 in the 3rd.

Good to hear, I haven't gotten that far into the franchise mode yet but in the games I have played (about 11 including the one I just finished) I have not heard Berman mess up a call on SportsCenter or otherwise either. Everything has been going great with the difficulty on All-Pro, all penalties turned all the way up except clipping with 9 minute quarters

Great tip on the Kiper deal, I'll have to remember that when I finally make it to the draft. One problem I having during the season is that my prep is so filled when a player gets hurt I have nowhere to slot him in for rehab , I'll have to figure out what to do to to get Tommie Harris back. I love this game so far
Old 07-25-2004, 03:34 AM   #263
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ok, so the NCAA 2005 flashback continues. Vick throws 8-20 in the first half, so I bump up his throwing stats. Does it help? Nooooooo. Vick is now 11-29, with most of the passes missed drops or missing wide open recievers. Errrrrrr.....
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 03:35 AM   #264
GrantDawg

BTW, Tim Rattay is now 7-21 for the niners.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:49 AM   #265
BigPitt
n00b

Subs in ESPN

Can someone tell me how to change the Sub-in -- Sub-out slider in 2K5?

I remember the tough time I had finding that in 2K4 and now I have the same problem again.Maybe I"ve just had a permanent brain cramp.

By the way I use X-Box and if you know a little walk through to get there would really be nice.

Thanks
BigPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #266
JeeberD
General Manager

Just play the damn games yourself, GD. I haven't had any problem with completing passes in that mode...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 11:53 AM   #267
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Whoever it was, in one of the threads, that mentioned how poorly done the draft combine was... wow, you weren't kidding.

So let me get this straight... I get four days to scout a handful of guys (maybe a dozen altogether if I spread my hours out well), and based on that I'm supposed to be able to go through a seven-round draft? Sure, you get the combine stats (40-time, etc), and you do get their college stats. But that's it, and good luck trying to draft a kicker in the sixth-round based on their bench press grades.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of being able to focus on guys at the combine, but is it really realistic that I'd have no concept of the relative ability of players I hadn't specifically scouted? Do real NFL teams really go into a draft with some combine numbers and college stats but only really knowing a dozen players? Eesh.

I was into the third round of my first draft and was completely flying blind. No way to even know, for example, which QBs have decent arm strength. Just a complete luck of the draw unless I'm missing something.

I will say that Kipper's draft preview and draft review shows are pretty cool, and do salvage the draft experience a little bit. He even predicted one player would go #1, then when the Jags took someone else pretended he knew it all along... just like real life!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:39 PM   #268
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Anybody else mess with the custom stadium music?! Very cool feature, Iron Maiden and Metallica are now all over the NFL! 2 Minutes to Midnight is awesome for the 2 minute warning!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:43 PM   #269
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Whoever it was, in one of the threads, that mentioned how poorly done the draft combine was... wow, you weren't kidding.

So let me get this straight... I get four days to scout a handful of guys (maybe a dozen altogether if I spread my hours out well), and based on that I'm supposed to be able to go through a seven-round draft? Sure, you get the combine stats (40-time, etc), and you do get their college stats. But that's it, and good luck trying to draft a kicker in the sixth-round based on their bench press grades.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of being able to focus on guys at the combine, but is it really realistic that I'd have no concept of the relative ability of players I hadn't specifically scouted? Do real NFL teams really go into a draft with some combine numbers and college stats but only really knowing a dozen players? Eesh.

I was into the third round of my first draft and was completely flying blind. No way to even know, for example, which QBs have decent arm strength. Just a complete luck of the draw unless I'm missing something.

I will say that Kipper's draft preview and draft review shows are pretty cool, and do salvage the draft experience a little bit. He even predicted one player would go #1, then when the Jags took someone else pretended he knew it all along... just like real life!

On my last draft Kipper predicted correctly the first 22 picks (then I messed it up for him). I mentioned the draft earlier, and it and the shrienking cap are two of the major problems with franchise mode. What I end up doing is pressing down on the right thumbstick to see what my assistant coaches recommend (which is usually what Kipper suggests) and pick a guy from their list. It isn't a very fun process at all, which is too bad.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:57 PM   #270
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
What I end up doing is pressing down on the right thumbstick to see what my assistant coaches recommend (which is usually what Kipper suggests) and pick a guy from their list. It isn't a very fun process at all, which is too bad.
What? You can get recommendations from the coaches?

Damn.

Wish I'd know that.

As for Kiper, I think his "mock draft" on ESPN.com was exactly right up until my pick, but his preview show wasn't. Kind of odd.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:13 PM   #271
Jets80
High School Varsity

On sale at Circit City for $15.99. Guess I have to give it a try now.

Last edited by Jets80 : 07-25-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:23 PM   #272
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Bleah. RPI just beat me 24-21 with the freaking Cardinals. Oops.. 30-21, he cheesed a last play passing TD

Great game tho
Old 07-25-2004, 03:33 PM   #273
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

All-pro defaults play pretty well, but I was finding that the passing numbers for every team were a little too high even with a relatively bad QB. I also noticed that neither team's HB every seemed to need to be substituted out of the game. So, I decided to play around with sliders, and I've found that -20 fatigue (i.e. all the way to the left) for both the computer and the human team made a much more realistic game in that my back-up RB had a few carries and also the star WR's get tired at times and can't have consistently super human days. I still had nice numbers with 7 catches for 109 yards and a TD with T.O. and Hines Ward had 9 catches for 88 yards, but the total passing was about 230 yards for each team (9 minute quarters.) Also, Brian Westbrook was consistently getting 100 plus yards a game for me, with the fatigue he still had a lot of carries but as he got tired he became less effective (21 carries for 69 yards.)

I think I'm finally ready to start a franchise now (except I have to go to work for the next 2 hours) but this evening I'm going to try a franchise with the trade AI workaround that I posted in the other thread and see how it works.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:59 PM   #274
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
All-pro defaults play pretty well, but I was finding that the passing numbers for every team were a little too high even with a relatively bad QB. I also noticed that neither team's HB every seemed to need to be substituted out of the game. So, I decided to play around with sliders, and I've found that -20 fatigue (i.e. all the way to the left) for both the computer and the human team made a much more realistic game in that my back-up RB had a few carries and also the star WR's get tired at times and can't have consistently super human days. I still had nice numbers with 7 catches for 109 yards and a TD with T.O. and Hines Ward had 9 catches for 88 yards, but the total passing was about 230 yards for each team (9 minute quarters.) Also, Brian Westbrook was consistently getting 100 plus yards a game for me, with the fatigue he still had a lot of carries but as he got tired he became less effective (21 carries for 69 yards.)

I think I'm finally ready to start a franchise now (except I have to go to work for the next 2 hours) but this evening I'm going to try a franchise with the trade AI workaround that I posted in the other thread and see how it works.

Start with these rosters, I'm starting a franchise as well tonight with your tweak. Also, what's the consensus with simming quarter times? ..and are you turning off preseason and the team scouting feature?

Here's the xbox roster file from xrob over at operation sports, a special thanks to him as well.. http://www.operationsports.com/media...XRobRos724.zip

Todd
Old 07-25-2004, 06:08 PM   #275
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'd need Action Replay to use these rosters, correct? If so, I won't be able to use them at this time unfortunately. As far as the consensus on simming times, I'm not sure yet. That is the other thing I need to figure out before I start my franchise. I plan on playing around with that for the next hour or so to get a feel for it. Finally, I'm definitely turning off preseason, but I'm not sure about the team scouting feature. I might try the alternate solution that I posted (copied from OS) in the other thread, in which I adjust injuries and see how that works. However, I might just turn off the weekly prep and the preseason.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:09 PM   #276
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

The only problem I see with the 0 fatigue setting is that Defensive Linemen get substituted a little too frequently (and O-Linemen get substituted a fair amount too.) However, that doesn't bother me as many teams do use a frequent rotation of D-Linemen.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #277
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Simming with 6 minute quarters seems to give realistic stats.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:11 PM   #278
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
So, I decided to play around with sliders, and I've found that -20 fatigue (i.e. all the way to the left) for both the computer and the human team made a much more realistic game
Argh. I noticed the same thing, but I was pushing the slider the wrong way. I hate slider guessing games... Ah well, thanks for the tip.

Another issue with sliders: after losing all the time on All-Pro, I decided to swallow my pride and move down to Pro. I kept all the Pro sliders, but bumped the CPU up to my level in Blocking and Running (since I didn't want them averaging 1.2 ypc). Well, much to my surprise, the CPU offense becomes unstoppable at that setting. Not sure why, but suddenly it seems like every pass is a TD. I was down 42-0 at the half before turning it off and going back up(?) to All-Pro.

It's not an ESPN problem, this seems to happy in every sports sim. Why oh why can't we trust the sliders in these games?
Old 07-25-2004, 07:14 PM   #279
Flasch186
Coordinator

Bug of the century here, ready....

when on D in the 4th qtr with 2 minutes left. Called a TO by using the select button, both teams go to huddle and nothing happens again, nothing ever...we end up having to kill the game cuz it never went to the play select screens or anything. just guys standing in the huddle, chit chatting......that sucks eh?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:17 PM   #280
henry296
College Starter

Similar problem to ML... blow out the CPU on Pro, but loss big on All-Pro. My biggest problem is defense and giving up big plays. I can never take the right angle and the CPU seems to get 2-3 yards after the hit most of the time. Any help?
Old 07-25-2004, 07:24 PM   #281
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I seem to be horrible at playing safety or MLB in this game. Once I started playing a Defensive lineman, my defense on the All-Pro level became much better. I know some people are reporting they get to the QB too quickly when they are a DL, but I'm not. As Kearse, I get about a sack a game (which I don't think is too unrealistic at all) and I manage to draw at least a holding call a game.

However, for those that are having trouble playing All-Pro defense, I recommend controlling a DL. Least it is helping me a lot.

Also, for my franchise I'm leaning towards not adjusting the injury slider and just playing with the Weekly Prep and Preseason off (I'll turn weekly prep back on after the trade deadline.)

Still deciding on the length of simulated games.. will post on this once I run a few more tests.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:28 PM   #282
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I ran a few seasons of 6 minutes and thought the stats were a touch high. Here are the results of my first season with 5 minute sims (note that you can easily set sim length when you create the league or under league options without having to adjust your "played" game length - which I will probably stick with 9 minute quarters)

Some people think the sims might be affected by sliders, so I'm using All-Pro, with all penalties up except for clipping which is all the way down. I have fatigue all the way to the left for both the player the CPU (which makes players tire quicker)

Here are the top 10 passers in the league (by yardage):

Favre Rtg: 104.9, 315 of 476, 66%, 4064 yards, 8.5 YPA, 31 TD 11 INT, sacks 32.
Hasselbeck: 101.2, 317 of 491, 65%, 3902 yards, 7.9 YPA, 28 TD 8 INT, sacks 42.
Brooks: 98.6, 289 of 481, 60%, 3859 yards, 8.0 YPA, 35 TD 13 INT, sacks 36.
Culpepper: 93.0, 303 of 486, 62%, 3844 yards, 7.9 YPA, 25 TD 13 INT, sacks 32.
Brady: 93.8, 325 of 494, 66%, 3833 yards, 7.8 YPA, 23 TD 13 INT, 42 sacks.
Delhomme: 87.1, 333 of 557(!), 60%, 3806 yards, 6.8 YPA, 25 TD 11 INT, 59 sacks.
Green: 105.1, 324 of 487, 67%, 3736 yards, 7.7 YPA, 29 TD 5 INT, sacks 34.
McNair: 101.3 313 of 479, 65%, 3729 yards, 7.8 YPA, 29 TD 9 INT, sacks 38.
McNabb: 100.2, 320 of 494, 65%, 3728 yards, 7.5 YPA, 30 TD 9 INT, sacks 46.
Manning (Peyton): 97.4, 314 of 473, 66%, 3677 yards, 7.8 YPA, 27 TD 13 INT, sacks 29.

I almost lost this post (deleted part of it) so I'm going to post this part and then the rushing, receiving, and all other leaders in subsequent posts.

Also, a few quick comments: I'm happy with only one 4000 yard passer, but the passing completion seems to be high across the board slightly. Green is the leader with 67% and the top 10 in accuracy are all at 65% or higher. You have to go down to the 20th QB to get below 60%. The least accurate starter (for more then a game at least) was Josh McKnowm who was rated 74.6, 229 of 440, 52%, 2794 yards, 6.4 YPA, 21 TD 14 INT, sacked 44 times. The other QB's with low accuracy below 55% who started significantly were: Rattay, Boller, and Harrington with Brunell just over 55%.

Except for the top QB's completing too high a percentage of their passes and the resultant high QB ratings (6 starters over 100), I'm generally happy with the passing stats at 5 minute sim length.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:33 PM   #283
GrantDawg

FYI, as far as I can tell (and I've worked real hard on it) Coach mode is unplayable. Your defense plays too well, but that can be adjusted. BUT, your QB and RB play like they are idiots. RB run left to right and never follow blocks. Your QB throws passes to no one, and can't make a pass in the flat (unless it is a pick which gets returned for an interception).

*sigh* I am about ready to completely give up on console games.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:37 PM   #284
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Rushing leaders (by yardage):

Corey Dillon: 353 carries for 1698 yards, 4.8 AVG, long 82, 10 TD, 2 fumbles.
Ahman Green: 332 for 1448 yards, 4.4 AVG, long of 98, 11 TD, 1 fumble(!)
Priest Holmes: 317 for 1418 yards, 4.5 AVG, long 73, 9 TD, 0 fumbles(!)
Rudi Johnson: 282 for 1385 yards, 4.9 AVG, long 53, 9 TD, 0 fumbles
Edgerrin James: 307 for 1364 yards, 4.4 AVG, long 82, 8 TD, 3 fumbles.
Shaun Alexander: 317 for 1349 yards, 4.3 AVG, long 62, 10 TD, 1 fumble.
Jamal Lewis: 298 for 1286, 4.3, long 33, 9 TD, 3 fumbles.
Ricky Williams: 302-1232, 4.1, 67, 2 TD(!), 3 fumbles.
LT: 303-1210, 4.0, 62, 5 TD, 0 fumbles.
Fred Taylor: 285-1199, 4.2, 34, 11 TD, 1 fumble.

I generally like the rushing numbers. Only one other "starter" had over 4.0 AVG and that was Warrick Dunn who just missed cracking the top 10 in rushing, Portis had a 3.9 AVG and just missed the top 10 as well. Barlow lead the league in rushing touchdowns with 13 despite only getting 260 carries. Travis Henry led the league in fumbles with 11. Tiki Barber followed closely behind with 7 fumbles. Some of the top guys might not fumble enough, but otherwise I'm liking these stats.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:40 PM   #285
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
FYI, as far as I can tell (and I've worked real hard on it) Coach mode is unplayable. Your defense plays too well, but that can be adjusted. BUT, your QB and RB play like they are idiots. RB run left to right and never follow blocks. Your QB throws passes to no one, and can't make a pass in the flat (unless it is a pick which gets returned for an interception).

*sigh* I am about ready to completely give up on console games.

Don't worry. Madden for the PC will be awsome for coach only.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:46 PM   #286
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Leading Receivers by Receptions:

Ward: 91 catches - 1279 yards - 14.1 avg - long 77 - 8 TD - Targeted 121 - drop 2.
Holt: 83 - 987 - 11.9 - 48 - 3 - 118 - 0.
Mason: 83 - 1035 - 12.5 - 92 - 7- 115 - 5.
Santana Moss: 82 - 911 - 11.1 - 68 - 4 - 102 - 1.
Marvin Harrison: 78 - 1066 - 13.7 - 88- 9 - 94 - 1.
Steve Smith: 77 - 855 - 11.1 - 68 - 3 - 118 - 1.
Shockey: 77- 819 - 10.6 - 78 - 5 - 98 - 0.
Jerry Rice: 76 - 921 - 12.1 - 76 - 7 - 105 - 2.
Marcus Robinson (Randy Moss was injured most of the year): 71 - 934 - 13.2 - 74 - 3 - 99 - 1.
David Boston: 69 - 886 - 12.8 - 74 - 7 - 93 - 2.

I'm generally happy with receiving stats. I thought with the high number of high completion percentages among QB's that some of these top WR's would have more catches. I think with the change in holding rules, we are going to see more WR's with 110+ catch seasons. However, nothing that worries me in these stats except the low number of drops recorded.

In fact, the leading receiver for drops in the whole league was Curtis Conway and they only credited him with 5.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:49 PM   #287
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This probably rare, but seems like a clear bug:

After my draft, I decided I didn't feel like negotiating rookie deals and would just let the CPU handle it. So I went the option screen and made the appropriate change. First of all the game went into pre-season sim mode right away, with some double-text on the screen. Not so bad. But then I went to the roster screen and found that:
- The CPU had released my 2nd and 3rd round picks
- Those picks who were signed were all signed to contracts with $0 signing bonus

Not good.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:51 PM   #288
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Leading tacklers:

Rob Morris: 129 tackles, 24 assists.
Mike Peterson: 124 tackles, 70 assists.
Dexter Coakley: 120 tackles, 13 assists.
Zach Thomas: 119 tackles, 28 assists.
Roy Williams: 118 tackles, 77 assists.
Lavar Arrington: 118 tackles, 27 assists.
Anthony Simmons: 116 tackles, 10 assists.
Terrence Kiel: 114 tackles, 19 assists.
Pisa Tinoisamoa: 114 tackles, 11 assists.
Nate Wayne(!): 113 tackles, 26 assists.

Nothing that looks too amiss in these stats to me.

Leading Sacks:

Ray Lewis: 16
Darren Howard: 14
Jason Taylor: 13
Warren Sapp: 12.5
Julius Peppers: 12
Hugh Douglas: 11
Simeon Rice: 11
Greg Ellis: 10.5
Kevin Carter: 10
Aaron Schobel: 10.

I'm glad to see they aren't any guys with insanely high number of sacks.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:53 PM   #289
GrantDawg

Quote:
Don't worry. Madden for the PC will be awsome for coach only.

I'm not touching it untill someone says there aren't major bugs and you can get good gameplay. I'm tired of giving these companies money for games that don't work and that they will not fix.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:59 PM   #290
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Leading Interceptions:

Greg Wesley(!) 10
Donnie Abraham 9
Corey Chavous 8
Darren Sharper 8
Dre' Bly 8
Roy Williams 7
Sam Cowart 7
Charles Tillman 7
Charles Woodson 6
Joseph Jefferson 6
Lavar Arrington 5

There seems to be some surprising names to me, and there are a lot of guys with 4 or 5 (7 or 8 guys each)

I think the interceptions might be a little overdone in the simulations, but it's mostly from the bad QB's who are throwing many picks. I don't think upping the sim time would fix this and will leave it as for now.

FG's:

The top 10 guys all had about 30 attempts for the season (27 for the 10th guy Longwell, Vinatieri was first with 32) The number of attempts seem a little low to me, but the percentages of made FG's look good with a nice distribution of 93% for the top guy (Stover) down to 79% for the 10th kicker (Morten Anderson at 79%)

Punts seem about right for me with the leading punter being Arizona's Scott Player with 105 punts. Indianapolis' Hunter Smith had the fewest with 62.

The top returner only had 2 kick returns for a touchdown (Onterrio Smith), the top punt returner had 4 TD's (Terence Newman)

Overall I'm generally happy with these sim results, and I'm now going to restart and resim the season 2 or 3 more times to see if I get similar ball park results. If I do, I'm using 5 minutes for my quarter length in my franchise.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:01 PM   #291
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I almost forgot with weekly prep off and preseason off, I only saw 3 trades this year and each of them made sense (to me at least.)

I did see Mobley get cut, but Denver brought in a LB that was almost as good in my opinion (and probably cheaper)
Old 07-25-2004, 09:06 PM   #292
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
I'm not touching it untill someone says there aren't major bugs and you can get good gameplay. I'm tired of giving these companies money for games that don't work and that they will not fix.

Yep. I agree with that as well. I'm pretty much like that with all games now (the wait and see attitude). I feel that some people nitpick games however, and its tough to find a fair reviewer of the game. I don't think we'll ever see a game without someone complaining about something.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:13 PM   #293
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yep. I agree with that as well. I'm pretty much like that with all games now (the wait and see attitude). I feel that some people nitpick games however, and its tough to find a fair reviewer of the game. I don't think we'll ever see a game without someone complaining about something.

Also note that, while the game is apparantly VERY disappointing in Franchise mode, not everybody plays for that.

I'm someone who will pretty much ONLY play online games, and the this game does that VERY well. Gameplay is ROCK solid (no money plays, etc.), and the VIP stuff is wick-ahd cool. Plus, in exhibition games offline the game is very neat (stuff like being able to call plays while watching replays, having custom stadium music, etc.).

So if you're somebody like me who has a limited scope of what you want the game to do, it can be a GREAT game.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:14 PM   #294
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Also note that, while the game is apparantly VERY disappointing in Franchise mode, not everybody plays for that.

I'm someone who will pretty much ONLY play online games, and the this game does that VERY well. Gameplay is ROCK solid (no money plays, etc.), and the VIP stuff is wick-ahd cool. Plus, in exhibition games offline the game is very neat (stuff like being able to call plays while watching replays, having custom stadium music, etc.).

So if you're somebody like me who has a limited scope of what you want the game to do, it can be a GREAT game.

Exactly. And at $15.99 (what they sell it for at Circuit City) its dirt cheap
Old 07-25-2004, 09:16 PM   #295
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just simmed the same year over with all the same settings. Interestingly 2 of the same 3 guys got traded. Pat Williams (maybe he won't renegotiate his contract?) and Bery Berry. The 3rd trade made me scratch my head a bit as Atlanta traded Aaron Beasley (CB) for a guard - Vernon Carey. However, Atlanta did lose both of their guards for significant time to injury.

As far as the stats go: Peyton Manning tore it up this year almost 5000 yards (4724 to be exact) with 70% of his passes complete. Seems a little high on the completion percentage, but throughout the league I saw more guys below 65% and more below 60% than the 1st sim. Also, there were 3 - 4000 yard guys (Manning, Brady, Culpepper)

Stephen Davis led the league in rushing with 1882 yards, and no one else broke 1500.

Holt led the league in receiving with 93 receptions for 1258 yards.

Good variability on who is on the leaderboard this year yet it's still talented guys.

Keith Brooking leads the league in tackles with 127. Still no outrageous numbers.

Leonard Little had 15.5 sacks and the breakdown looks similar to last year with no one having astronomical numbers.

Charles Woodson led the league in interceptions with 7, not as many guys with high interception totals this year, but still a nice number of 6 and 5 interception guys.

FG attempts still seem a bit low (around 30 for the top guys) but I don't see adjusting the simulated length for that alone.

Punts range from 98 to Hunter Smith with only 58.

I'm going to run 2 more seasons, but I think I will get my Franchise started soon using 5 minutes for simulated quarters (it can be set under Franchise Options once you enter into your franchise)
Old 07-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #296
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, simmed two more seasons and I'm happy with the 5 minute quarters for simulated games. It's the default and it is giving nice stats. Some people MAY want to increase to 6, but I think those stats are just a little too high in several categories.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:46 PM   #297
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Excellent, in fact in an interview I think VC said defaults would work fine in simmed games.

Todd
Old 07-26-2004, 10:09 AM   #298
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Can I say I love my wife. Last night I was bemoaning the fact that this one was not made for GameCube. Her response, "You know, I have been thinking we might have bought the wrong system. We should just buy an XBox."

You know, honey, I think you are right, we should.

Well, we got the XBox, and I must say, I am thrilled.

You see, I had been very disappointed with how my GameCube looked on my HDTV (pretty much anything in 480i looks crappy on it). But ESPN 2k5 on the XBox looks breathtaking - since its progressive scan and widescreen - looks breathtaking.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:52 PM   #299
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Well, we got the XBox, and I must say, I am thrilled.

You see, I had been very disappointed with how my GameCube looked on my HDTV (pretty much anything in 480i looks crappy on it). But ESPN 2k5 on the XBox looks breathtaking - since its progressive scan and widescreen - looks breathtaking.

Not to mention it's 10x faster loading and saving games.

Todd
Old 07-26-2004, 07:27 PM   #300
Kodos
Resident Alien

Eaglesfan - Can you post your final settings here?

Thanks!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote