Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #251
digamma
Torchbearer

A few more quick hitters...

1. I do not know why Crimson Fox was boxed for the amount of time he was boxed.

2. If I were a newcomer reading this thread, I would think that the board was some Pravda like publication where only the Great Leader's posts or those echoing his sentiments were allowed. It's pretty far from that.

3. I have a hard time believing that modding decisions really affect the day to day board activity of 98% (maybe more) of the board's members.

4. I also have a hard time believing that being able to post girlie pics in the images thread is such a big deal to people. Seems more like a thread that is a lightning rod for rabble rousing and questioning authority.

5. 2, 3 and 4 are borne out by the fact that there are only five users in the box currently. Only one of those is due to the image thread (I do not know what he did).

Last edited by digamma : 04-08-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #252
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Only one of those is due to the image thread (I do not know what he did).

That would be GKB I think and he posted a pic of a girl in a bikini with a dress over the top and a godzilla in the background and he was given a month for it....
Old 04-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #253
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
That would be GKB I think and he posted a pic of a girl in a bikini with a dress over the top and a godzilla in the background and he was given a month for it....

Which, lets be honest, was as ridiculous as the CrimsonFox boxing.

Here's a girl in a bikini, with a semi-sheer dress over it. Wasn't even like a teeny-tiny bikini that showed anything. Nothing worse then you'd see at the beach, at a pool, or walking down the street in a place like Miami, and he gets boxed??
Old 04-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #254
molson
General Manager

Quote:

4. I also have a hard time believing that being able to post girlie pics in the images thread is such a big deal to people. Seems more like a thread that is a lightning rod for rabble rousing and questioning authority.

I agree with that, but I think the thread is a lightning rod both for questioning authority and for showing authority. The mods' obsession with that thread is as silly as the posters' possessiveness of the pics there. Neither serve any purpose. Unnecessary hostility all around. I don't think its really about the pics at all.

Last edited by molson : 04-08-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #255
MacroGuru
Coordinator

You know, times like this is when I miss HA and his sandwich fucking....
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #256
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I agree with that, but I think the thread is a lightning rod both for questioning authority and for showing authority. The mods' obsession with that thread is as silly as the posters' possessiveness of the pics there. Neither serve any purpose. Unnecessary hostility all around. I don't think its really about the pics at all.

That may be a fair comment, but Ben's post on images has been at the top of the board off and on for the better part of 9 years.

Last edited by digamma : 04-08-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #257
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know, times like this is when I miss HA and his sandwich fucking....

I do miss HA. The FOFC-world is a lot...calmer and more boring without his brand of asshatishness around.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #258
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Let me go on record as saying I don't miss HA.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #259
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
That may be a fair comment, but Ben's post on images has been at the top of the board off and on for the better part of 9 years.

And yet nothing was done for the HoN threads.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the HoN threads, nor most of the pics in the Images thread. However, if you're gonna have those rules, apply them to every thread.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #260
digamma
Torchbearer

I can't speak to those--I'm actually at somewhat of a disadvantage (or maybe an advantage) on image issues as most images are web blocked from me.

But, were I to speculate, I'd say the following: 1. Those threads are clearly labeled so you know what you are going to get and 2. Those threads aren't the source of a lot of (or any) complaints (other than whatever happened to get the HoN commish all riled up).
Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #261
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Let me go on record as saying I do not miss wignifty and wignasty .
Old 04-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #262
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Let me go on record as saying I do not miss wignifty and wignasty .

what about franklinnoble and capsicum?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #263
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i miss jbmagic.

I dunno if it was a troll account of a banned poster, or if he was legit, but that's an issue too. If he was a troll account of a banned poster, why not tell us? If he wasn't then it's really petty and frankly very shitty to ban him just because the mods didn't like his posting style/frequency/grammar. Frankly, if that was the case, one could say it was pretty racist.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #264
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can't speak to those--I'm actually at somewhat of a disadvantage (or maybe an advantage) on image issues as most images are web blocked from me.

But, were I to speculate, I'd say the following: 1. Those threads are clearly labeled so you know what you are going to get and 2. Those threads aren't the source of a lot of (or any) complaints (other than whatever happened to get the HoN commish all riled up).

You would be 100% wrong in your speculation
Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #265
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
3. I have a hard time believing that modding decisions really affect the day to day board activity of 98% (maybe more) of the board's members.

This and the "I don't think anyone left the board because of mods" argument read to me as sort of a passive-aggressive way to dismiss the concerns raised in these threads.

I agree. 98% of the board's members aren't affected daily by mod decisions. And you can't prove that someone left just because of mod decisions.

But that doesn't mean the concerns of those who have been long-time members of this community aren't valid, and that the modding has been wildly inconsistent between both the HoN and cool pix threads -- and to pretend that this isn't true and that everything is just humming along fine is patronizing.

I don't come here as much. Because of mods? Not really, but when I do see a thread like this it makes me feel just a little more estranged than I was and I'm a bit sad about that because this community, even as it shrinks, is still one I've gotten a lot of joy out of over the years.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #266
Flasch186
Coordinator

no idea what any of this stuff is about honestly and I guess thats a good thing.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #267
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:

The thing about this that gets me is gkb gets a month for a bikini pic. Later that day Izulde posts one, post gets deleted, no box. The only conclusion is that someone said "who the hell is gkb? Fuck him" whereas since this person knew Izulde, nothing.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #268
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

gkb is responsible for some of the finest posts in the Images thread.

Respect.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #269
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Favoritism and elitism have always played a role. Nothing really wrong with that esp. now that it is not about growing the brand.

I remember on a few deletes, QS simply edited the post and put a comment in the reason for editing section. I like how that was done but lately it seems that a bot is automatically deleting 2 out of every 5 posts. Back in the day, inappropriate pictures would get 1-2 weeks - the board knew and the poster knew. Now the mods just don't care to put any effort into it.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #270
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
You would be 100% wrong in your speculation

OK, 2.a., Ben doesn't read the HoN threads because there aren't complaints about them?

I'm not sure what you are getting at, to be honest.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #271
Buccaneer
Head Coach

So there were no moderators active in the forum during the many months of HoN?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #272
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
OK, 2.a., Ben doesn't read the HoN threads because there aren't complaints about them?

I'm not sure what you are getting at, to be honest.

Not getting at anything, merely stating that your assumptions are wrong.

Ben is certainly not deleting the pics in the pictures thread.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #273
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Favoritism and elitism have always played a role. Nothing really wrong with that esp. now that it is not about growing the brand.

I would argue that they have not always played a role. Context is everything when choosing the appropriate moderating action and therefore the history of a member (positive or negative) will and should be considered. But I made a conscious effort to moderate in a fair and even-handed manner and to ensure that there was no elitism considered when considering moderating actions and the appropriate response.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #274
Schmidty
Coordinator

I don't want to get banned, but I guess I really don't care since I don't even know more than 2 dozen people from here.

I wasn't trolling at all....I just missed my meds. It's embarrassing. It's humiliating. Have fun.

That's my official post. Now I'll just say crap if I want to.

Last edited by Schmidty : 04-08-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added a.... plural.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #275
digamma
Torchbearer

No, Bucc, I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Ben has said on here a number of times that he doesn't read every thread. I think that goes for the other moderators as well. It is true for me.

So, for at least some moderation tasks, we rely on reported posts--not completely, but it is a useful tool.

I just went back and checked the past three years. There were two reported posts from Hot or Not threads. Neither had to do with images. One was very recent and is related to an old board personality conflict. The other was also not related to images.

By contrast there are upwards of 20 reported posts from the images thread, mostly relating to images over that time period.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #276
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Blackie, you did. Sorry to have said always when it shouldn't have extended back to your reign.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #277
Buccaneer
Head Coach

digamma, I understand, I guess I am used to more participatory moderation that does not depend solely upon reportings.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #278
molson
General Manager

Quote:

By contrast there are upwards of 20 reported posts from the images thread, mostly relating to images over that time period.

I'm kind of wondering at this point if all 20 of those posts were reported by Subby because "he's bored at work" and is just trying to mix shit up. Because I don't think anybody's ever complained or publicly acknowledged reporting those pics for work-related reasons. Which is kind of weird on a forum where you can be pretty anonymous.

Last edited by molson : 04-08-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #279
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I guess my point is that I recall (incorrectly?) there were 8 moderators. I know there's no way 1 or 2 mods can read most things but maybe 8 can. But if 4 of those are no longer around and 2 are around sporadically and 2 only come around when there are reports, is that a sustainable model?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #280
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I'm kind of wondering at this point if all 20 of those posts were reported by Subby because "he's bored at work" and is just trying to mix shit up. Because I don't think anybody's ever complained or publicly acknowledged reporting those pics for work-related reasons. Which is kind of weird on a forum where you can be pretty anonymous.

None are from Subby. There are reports from at least 9 different users. More than one user lists "NSFW" or some variant of that as a reason for the report.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #281
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, Bucc, I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Ben has said on here a number of times that he doesn't read every thread. I think that goes for the other moderators as well. It is true for me.

So, for at least some moderation tasks, we rely on reported posts--not completely, but it is a useful tool.

I just went back and checked the past three years. There were two reported posts from Hot or Not threads. Neither had to do with images. One was very recent and is related to an old board personality conflict. The other was also not related to images.

Are you trying to argue that there have only been 20 deleted pictures from that thread in 3 years?

Pictures get deleted and people boxed for pictures other than "hawt chix" pics. I posted the pics that got me boxed in the fb group, it's comical; especially considering one had been posted earlier in the thread.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #282
digamma
Torchbearer

No, that's not what I'm arguing at all. I'm saying the number of post reports is likely a reason why that thread gets more attention from moderators.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #283
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, that's not what I'm arguing at all. I'm saying the number of post reports is likely a reason why that thread gets more attention from moderators.

20 reports over a 3 year span

13,000 posts in that thread over that time period not including all the BS deleted pics

are you advocating that .15% of a threads posts get reported over a 3 year time frame is a lot?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #284
Danny
Head Coach

I will go on record and say that I would prefer to keep a double standard and let the HoN threads live on
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #285
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
20 reports over a 3 year span

13,000 posts in that thread over that time period not including all the BS deleted pics

are you advocating that .15% of a threads posts get reported over a 3 year time frame is a lot?

Relative to the number of posts reported overall, yes, that thread is disproportionately represented.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #286
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I hope that just because there was a board personality conflict, that didn't take away from the fact there was a video of a 500 pound naked man posted.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #287
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

I remember on a few deletes, QS simply edited the post and put a comment in the reason for editing section. I like how that was done but lately it seems that a bot is automatically deleting 2 out of every 5 posts. Back in the day, inappropriate pictures would get 1-2 weeks - the board knew and the poster knew. Now the mods just don't care to put any effort into it.

I actually agree with this, and when I have deleted posts, I've tried to leave a message. There is a difference in how you delete posts (soft vs. hard). I *think* if you hard delete, you do not have the option to leave a reason. Some mods choose to hard delete as a matter of practice.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #288
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I hope that just because there was a board personality conflict, that didn't take away from the fact there was a video of a 500 pound naked man posted.

or the roadkill pic...

but let's not use logic.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #289
Schmidty
Coordinator

15% Peasants Rovolt
Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #290
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I actually agree with this, and when I have deleted posts, I've tried to leave a message. There is a difference in how you delete posts (soft vs. hard). I *think* if you hard delete, you do not have the option to leave a reason. Some mods choose to hard delete as a matter of practice.

Depends on the board software.

For example, I'm looking at the Delete Post options on one of the forums I moderate and as far as I can tell, both hard and soft deletes allow you to enter in a reason.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Old 04-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #291
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Don't get your reasoning. So, just because posters have a username, they give up their right to report posts anonymously?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #292
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Don't get your reasoning. So, just because posters have a username, they give up their right to report posts anonymously?

No, I'm just curious why someone would be so ashamed of it when it's just a message board and you can pretty much be anonymous.

And wait, aren't you guy that's always telling us they're no "rights" here?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #293
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
15% Peasants Rovolt

You would so be in my prison enjoying the comforts of my oubliette right now.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I wasn't trolling at all

I actually thought you were, but also that you weren't. I took it initially as a parody thread of sorts tbh. But that's kinda not important I don't think.

What I was actually going to say was that I don't get the impression too many people still think you were haughtily trolling at this point. FWIW that is.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #295
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

This thread went to shit.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #296
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
No, I'm just curious why someone would be so ashamed of it when it's just a message board and you can pretty much be anonymous.

And wait, aren't you guy that's always telling us they're no "rights" here?

No, I just think you're being inconsistent. I don't see complaining publicly as a necessary prerequisite to making an anonymous complaint.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #297
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

What I was actually going to say was that I don't get the impression too many people still think you were haughtily trolling at this point. FWIW that is.

I'm just Me. This place used to be fun (and can still be!!). We could say what we wanted. Years ago, (I2 years ago), I didn't even know what a troll was; I was just being nutty and fun, and annoying people, and posting pictures of my cat Sauron and other buddies (ferrets, rottties, etc.). Playing OOTP and dinking around. I miss that.

Just be nice to one another. So sorry I started a "fun" debate thread. Can we start a new one to discuss this? I'm old and this crap is tired and humiliating. Just be nice.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #298
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
No, I just think you're being inconsistent.

Did you just nominate him for moderator?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #299
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Stop wondering about me. You have enough weird hobbies.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #300
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ok, who do I report posts too?
Closed Thread