Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #251
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well it's the same as a desktop computer monitor or laptop so.....

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-29-2011 at 05:31 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #252
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'll say this for the Kindle WiFi vs. Kindle 3G argument: it literally takes seconds to download a book on WiFi. I don't really see the need for 3G at all. Just download four or five books before you go on a trip and save some money on your Kindle.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #253
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm a big fan of Kindle (I like Amazon's store), the Nook is certainly a decent option (and others here prefer it), and no way would I purchase an LCD screen to read on due to eye strain. Reading the eInk displays is just as easy as reading a book for me.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #254
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'm a big fan of Kindle (I like Amazon's store), the Nook is certainly a decent option (and others here prefer it), and no way would I purchase an LCD screen to read on due to eye strain. Reading the eInk displays is just as easy as reading a book for me.

Agreed. I have a 2nd gen Kindle and love it. And I love amazon's interface. I've never played with a Nook and the Nook wasn't around when I got my Kindle. I wouldn't get the Nook Color because it's an LCD screen, and if I were to do that, may as well get an iPad or a decent Android tablet.

Although I have no real notion of how B&N is doing in general, the only reason I might be slightly preferential to Kindle is because I'd expect B&N to go out of business before Amazon.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #255
TexasT
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Agreed. I have a 2nd gen Kindle and love it. And I love amazon's interface. I've never played with a Nook and the Nook wasn't around when I got my Kindle. I wouldn't get the Nook Color because it's an LCD screen, and if I were to do that, may as well get an iPad or a decent Android tablet.

Although I have no real notion of how B&N is doing in general, the only reason I might be slightly preferential to Kindle is because I'd expect B&N to go out of business before Amazon.

/tk

+1
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #256
Comey
College Starter

While I have an iPad, I use the Kindle app exclusively for my books. I just prefer it to what else is out there.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #257
TexasT
Mascot

+1
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #258
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
As far as kindle vrs nook(b&w), I don't think the conversation has changed.

As for the LCD question, I would pay twice as much for an eInk display than I would for an iPad or similar device if I was looking to use it as a book reader.

It has changed. Kindle announced a week or so that they are going to start doing the whole library thing like the Nook does.

From my perspective, that was the only thing the Nook B&W had on the Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #259
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for all the help guys- I ended up going with the wi-fi only kindle. All things considered it looked like the better buy.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #260
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
It has changed. Kindle announced a week or so that they are going to start doing the whole library thing like the Nook does.

From my perspective, that was the only thing the Nook B&W had on the Kindle.

What does "the whole library thing" mean?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #261
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
What does "the whole library thing" mean?

Being able to check-out ebooks for free from your local library.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #262
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola:

Coming to Your Kindle: Library Books - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Old 05-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #263
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Nook Color recently introduced an app store since it's an Android OS underneath all the eReader veneer. However, I expect that B&N will keep a pretty stringent control over what appears in the app store as opposed to the greater free-for-all that the actual Android app store has. We went with the Nook Color because we knew it could be more than an eReader, but wouldn't tie us up in wireless contracts or cost an arm and a leg to get. No, it's not a full-blown Android tablet, but that option is there to do so if we want it to be.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #264
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So I'm thinking of finally taking the Kindle plunge.

Does anyone know much about this $114 version with "special offers and sponsored screensavers that display when you're not reading"? Seems like that's a pretty minor hassle to deal with in order to save $25.

Is the 3G worthwhile? I was thinking it might be nice to have since I don't have a data plan on my smartphone, and it might let me check my email and maybe wikipedia every so often. But I dunno -- lurker says hers is too slow to bother using it, but I probably have more patience than her. On the other hand, I don't really get urgent emails, and probably don't need the distraction while I'm studying or reading. For those who have it or don't, what would you choose if you could do it again?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #265
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Does anyone know much about this $114 version with "special offers and sponsored screensavers that display when you're not reading"? Seems like that's a pretty minor hassle to deal with in order to save $25.

Is the 3G worthwhile? I was thinking it might be nice to have since I don't have a data plan on my smartphone, and it might let me check my email and maybe wikipedia every so often. But I dunno -- lurker says hers is too slow to bother using it, but I probably have more patience than her. On the other hand, I don't really get urgent emails, and probably don't need the distraction while I'm studying or reading. For those who have it or don't, what would you choose if you could do it again?

My understanding is that the ads are on the screensaver and on your home screen with it.

I bought the wi-fi only kindle and I truly see no need for the 3G...I hit enough hotels and free wi-fi spots it does not justify the extra to me.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #266
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I did just read a new Nook that competes with the Kindle is about to be announced, may want to wait.
Gadgetbox - Barnes & Noble announcing new e-ink reader on May 24?

As for the $114 version, yeah, I though it was a great idea until I saw it still costs $114. I personally don't think it's worth it.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #267
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
My understanding is that the ads are on the screensaver and on your home screen with it.

I bought the wi-fi only kindle and I truly see no need for the 3G...I hit enough hotels and free wi-fi spots it does not justify the extra to me.

Oh yeah, I just noticed it does say the bottom of the home screen -- so that means it will take me longer to scroll through everything? Does it have folders yet?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #268
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Hey Pass - I bought the Kindle 3 Wi-Fi edition. I didn't want to pay extra for the 3G. My phone serves as a hot spot, so if I absolutely had to, I could connect it via my phone from pretty much anywhere in US. My limited experience with the EMail & Web-browsing was very poor, so I would not consider that "worth" the extra bump. I don't have the newer "ad-sponsored" version, but I just read an article that said it was the best selling model.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #269
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh yeah, I just noticed it does say the bottom of the home screen -- so that means it will take me longer to scroll through everything? Does it have folders yet?

You set up collections and add what books you want.

I have

Fesist Collection
Jordan Collection
Clancy Collection
GRRM Collection
etc..

I open the collection and my books are right there..

With the ads on the home screen it just means you lose a little screen space while you look at what your books are.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #270
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I did just read a new Nook that competes with the Kindle is about to be announced, may want to wait.
Gadgetbox - Barnes & Noble announcing new e-ink reader on May 24?

As for the $114 version, yeah, I though it was a great idea until I saw it still costs $114. I personally don't think it's worth it.

How much money would you have expected it to cost?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #271
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

From the hip? I don't know, well under 100. I don't think it costs Amazon anything to make the Kindle, especially with how much they make on the eBooks.

I fully expect them to be pretty much free, maybe with some type of eBook purchase commitment, within the next couple years. But that's a different discussion .

Old 05-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #272
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

I have

Fesist Collection
Jordan Collection
Clancy Collection
GRRM Collection
etc..

I open the collection and my books are right there..

With the ads on the home screen it just means you lose a little screen space while you look at what your books are.

Sounds cool -- when I got the one for lurker, it didn't have any folders. I'm planning to put a lot of study manuals on there, and don't want them to clog up the home screen. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #273
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
From the hip? I don't know, well under 100. I don't think it costs Amazon anything to make the Kindle, especially with how much they make on the eBooks.

I fully expect them to be pretty much free, maybe with some type of eBook purchase commitment, within the next couple years. But that's a different discussion .

Definitely. If you're looking at price points, sure, a $99 Kindle would have made sense. But if you look at it the other way, $40 seems like a lot to pay in order to get an ad-free model.

I'm still not sure -- I'm going to buy one that was a gift that the recipient didn't want, and I don't know which kind it is yet, so I'm debating whether to try to return it and get a different kind.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #274
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I have

Fesist Collection
Jordan Collection
Clancy Collection
GRRM Collection
etc..

I open the collection and my books are right there.
Doh! I never knew about the collections functionality
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #275
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I spend to much money on all sorts of dumb crap, so not the best person to ask . But in these situations the idea of that ad being there for as long as I own it, everytime I see it in my head I'm going to be thinking $25 lousy bucks. One of those OCD tics.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-19-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #276
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

With the travel you plan on doing for work...trust me, it will turn into a blessing when you get one.

I was packing 3 books a week with me for my flights and evenings in hotel rooms.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #277
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I spend to much money on all sorts of dumb crap, so not the best person to ask . But in these situations the idea of that ad being there for as long as I own it, everytime I see it in my head I'm going to be thinking $25 lousy bucks. One of those OCD tics.

haha I can totally see that -- although another thought is that it's not like you get your choice of screensavers on the ad-free model -- it's pictures of random authors. So you might be thinking "I could have saved $25 and not have to look at a picture of Jane Austen all the time"
Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #278
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Definitely. If you're looking at price points, sure, a $99 Kindle would have made sense. But if you look at it the other way, $40 seems like a lot to pay in order to get an ad-free model.

I'm still not sure -- I'm going to buy one that was a gift that the recipient didn't want, and I don't know which kind it is yet, so I'm debating whether to try to return it and get a different kind.

Oh, I should have said -- I do know it's the wifi, just not which one. She said "it's going for $114 now" which seems to imply that she didn't pay that much for it, but she just thinks that's how much it costs now. I asked her, but I bet that's what it is. I also don't know the color -- I hope it's graphite, but I guess I'll get a case, so that's not a huge deal.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #279
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That's the one I ended up getting- and the ads are no big deal at all, I kind of like them- the first one I got was a $20 Amazon gift card for $10, so I did that and used it to buy my first few books- a few days ago another ad was buy one of these best sellers and get a $10 gift card, some of the books are $5- so I download one of those and get $5 free...just haven't figured out which one I want yet.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #280
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have a 3G Kindle. It's nice, but not necessary. As said, plenty of wi-fi areas around, but it tends to be nice to load up a new book on the train when I finish a previous one.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #281
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

They might not cost a lot to make, but I'm pretty sure they license the eInk technology that's used. I doubt that comes cheap.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #282
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Right, but I think the majority of the money is made from their books though. So having a device in the hands of more people will be beneficial. I'm not criticizing them, especially since they have consistently lowered their prices. I just think they will continue to consistently lower them until it hits zero. Especially if the Nook keeps the heat up.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #283
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I doubt it'll be 0. The device is fairly nice in and of itself. Yes, you want the device in the hands of more people, but if you start giving one away for free, people are going to think its somewhat junky... besides, why not profit somewhat from the device itself. I think $100 will be the final settling point, as new devices end up costing from 100-200 (esp when color e-ink becomes a settled technology).
Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #284
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
why not profit somewhat from the device itself. I think $100 will be the final settling point, as new devices end up costing from 100-200 (esp when color e-ink becomes a settled technology).

To keep people from going to a competing device and losing all the book sales that go with it(which are more important than the device itself). If the Nook drops down to 99, which wouldn't be shocking, I fully expect the Kindle to undercut it by $10. I'd say the only reason the Nook doesn't cut it's price is because they know Amazon is willing to go further.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-19-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #285
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Love my kindle...

Just copied over a boat load of PDF's I have of a variety of books...works great...
Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #286
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
That's the one I ended up getting- and the ads are no big deal at all, I kind of like them- the first one I got was a $20 Amazon gift card for $10, so I did that and used it to buy my first few books- a few days ago another ad was buy one of these best sellers and get a $10 gift card, some of the books are $5- so I download one of those and get $5 free...just haven't figured out which one I want yet.

Seriously? So some of the ads are even Amazon coupons? Win-fucking-win!!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #287
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Seriously? So some of the ads are even Amazon coupons? Win-fucking-win!!

The one this weekend was download any one of this list of books for $1- I stopped going through the list around 150 books or so and decided to get the hunger games (it was on sale for like $5 so only saved $4- but it was the only book on the list that I knew I wanted to read soon- they had some other good books I've heard of that were around $10 but I wasn't planning on reading those soon), I won't have time to read it for at least a few weeks but it was was worth it for $1

I'm really glad I got the one with the ads, they are never in the way of anything- and the amazon ones are awesome deals.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 07-20-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #288
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I got the Kindle with ads, also. I haven't taken them up on anything yet, but the amazon deals are nice. I could do without all the cover girl and oil of olay ads, though.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #289
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
The one this weekend was download any one of this list of books for $1- I stopped going through the list around 150 books or so and decided to get the hunger games (it was on sale for like $5 so only saved $4- but it was the only book on the list that I knew I wanted to read soon- they had some other good books I've heard of that were around $10 but I wasn't planning on reading those soon), I won't have time to read it for at least a few weeks but it was was worth it for $1

I'm really glad I got the one with the ads, they are never in the way of anything- and the amazon ones are awesome deals.

Those special offers sound great. I wonder if there's a way regular Kindle owners can access them?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #290
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Kindle 3G with Special Offers is $140 at Best Buy (typical price) but it comes with a $30 gift card...
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #291
rowech
Pro Starter

I've been disappointed with the whole ebook process. I can't believe the amount that publishers are charging for ebooks. $22? Really? $15 for a book that's in paperback? I wish people would stop paying these insane prices or that the authors would start offering their books for download from their website so as to pocket all of their money directly.

Feel like buying an ereader was a waste really.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #292
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've been disappointed with the whole ebook process. I can't believe the amount that publishers are charging for ebooks. $22? Really? $15 for a book that's in paperback? I wish people would stop paying these insane prices or that the authors would start offering their books for download from their website so as to pocket all of their money directly.

I make sure not to buy any book priced higher than the paperback, or really over $10 unless it's more of a text book / research piece. Agreed that publishers are really gouging when the cost to produce the book is minimal and there are no recurring materials costs.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #293
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Is this for the kindle? I just ask because none of the books I've bought yet were over $8, and just quick browsing the amazon top 100 most are under 10, with a few at $12- just wondering if I am in for a surprise once I get caught up and start reading more current books.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #294
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is this for the kindle? I just ask because none of the books I've bought yet were over $8, and just quick browsing the amazon top 100 most are under 10, with a few at $12- just wondering if I am in for a surprise once I get caught up and start reading more current books.

Yes, Kindle has this. However, Kindle also has lots of smart publishers, especially smaller houses. I've bought books I'd never have tried simply because the author released a sequel and did the smart e-business thing of dropping the price on the first one drastically.

My reading is turning out like my video watching these days - I'm finding enough inexpensive-but-surprisingly-good options to avoid paying what the price-gouging conglomerates want me to pay for the mainstream stuff.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #296
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This is what my mother ran into. I bought her one and she loves the device, but she doesn't have a lot of money to spare and won't spend the money on books. I showed her all the free and cheap books out there, but they don't seem to interest her.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #297
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
This is what my mother ran into. I bought her one and she loves the device, but she doesn't have a lot of money to spare and won't spend the money on books. I showed her all the free and cheap books out there, but they don't seem to interest her.

Just an idea- does her library do e-books? Mine does but I haven't tried it yet. It looked like a very very simple process- the library can only rent x number of copies of each book, but my girlfriend looked and they have all the books I'm reading available right now.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #298
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, they have limited Kindle support, not enough to fix her problem. I believe the Kindle is going to support the same system the Nook does(if it doesn't already), but she has friends with Nooks and they say even with them the choices at the library are very limited. If they expand it that would be perfect, she is a library fiend as is. But I think part of the problem is some publishers straight up refuse to allow their ebooks to be available through libraries.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #299
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I am really digging the kobo app on the ipad. It has this thing called reading life that keeps all sorts of stats on how many books you have read, how fast you read etc has charts, graphs. Fun to nerd out to and a good motivator to keep reading.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #300
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I want to buy a case for my Kindle, and a while back, it had some special offer for a deal on Kindle accessories, but now it's not there. Does anyone know if I can find it, or when it will come back?