Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #251
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Stern with Freddie "Boom Boom" Washington, Jr.
(spoilered for photo size)

Spoiler

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-27-2013 at 09:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #252
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Yes. Johnson is already over 30 and Williams is 29. By 2014, both are in their 30s.
Yeah, but somehow I doubt Garnett and Pierce will be retired by then (Or more applicably, that enough will go wrong for the Nets to miss the playoffs next year. I do agree that anything is possible by the time the 2016 and 2018 picks come up, which is why I like the deal. As long as we don't get Plumlee's rights thrown in.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
ProBasketballTalk's Review of the Celtics pick at #13:

13. Boston Celtics (via the Dallas Mavericks): Kelly Olynyk (7’0” center, Gonzaga): We knew that Dallas wanted out, they get the Celtics No. 16 (which they likely trade) and two future second rounders. Olynyk is more than just that guy with long hair — he has size, moves well and has a really good scoring touch. In a league that values efficient scorers, Olynk is that (he shot 65 percent this season). But coming out of a small conference there are questions about how he deals with the size and athleticism he will see in the NBA. There are questions about his defense. They will love him in Boston, let’s see if he can perform at that level.
Why, because he's white and we're racist? This isn't the 1970's anymore.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #253
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
And after trading the 26th the Wolves finish the first round getting Shabazz and Dieng. Guess it's time to stop paying attention to them until next years draft lottery.

Most non t-wolves fans seem to think they did alright
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #254
Izulde
Head Coach

Dieng is a good pick for that late in the draft.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #255
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Dieng is a good pick for that late in the draft.

Yeah, he's fine. Not gonna make a huge impact when it's a lottery level team anyway though.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #256
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Livio Jean-Charles? Is that even a real person? Anyone other than the Spurs and we'd be mocking them for picking him in the 1st round, now everyone will say they knew he'd be good.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #257
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I just don't trust any PG over 6'4.

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #258
Izulde
Head Coach

Not gonna lie. From a simulation standpoint (yes, I know, not real life), I love tall PGs and point forwards.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #259
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hmm, Nets lading up with all the old Celtics?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #260
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a New Orleans fan and a casual basketball fan, should I be excited about Holiday?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #261
korme
Go Reds

That was an awesome Hakeem moment.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #262
nol
Banned

I really like the Philadelphia-New Orleans trade for both teams. Sam Hinkle makes a bold move right off the bat and starts an OKC-style rebuilding process for possibly the most depressing team in the league to watch last year. Sixers give up Holliday and get arguably the best long-term prospect in the draft, a 2014 first rounder, and pole position in the 2014 Tankapalooza.

Noel's slide allows New Orleans to turn their pick into a borderline All-Star (I know Holliday made it last year, but it's much tougher to do at the guard position in the West) and make an immediate push for the playoffs this year, which Eric Gordon has to like. NO is gambling a bit on the first round pick being only top-5 protected, but continued improvement from Anthony Davis should mean the Pelicans will do well enough that the pick won't be too high.

EDIT @albion: They'll probably have to do something about Greivis Vasquez now, but Holliday is a much better shooter and defender. He averaged 17 and 8 last season, and he's only 23.

Last edited by nol : 06-27-2013 at 10:13 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #263
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
As a New Orleans fan and a casual basketball fan, should I be excited about Holiday?

Yes.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #264
Groundhog
Coordinator

Love Crabbe in the 2nd round too, really happy with the Cavs draft (although no clue on Carrick Felix).
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #265
Izulde
Head Coach

Damn. Just damn. AB15, Karasev, Crabbe... Cavs had an absolutely stellar draft.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #266
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Hmm, Nets lading up with all the old Celtics?

They really must be serious about being the 2nd best team in the East.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #267
Groundhog
Coordinator

Nets look good on paper, but Johnson and Pierce are both guys who need the ball. They'd be be better off with spot up guys given the rest of their lineup, but that's definitely not Pierce or Johnson's strength.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #268
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
(spoilered for photo size)

oh snap

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 06-27-2013 at 10:23 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #269
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Livio Jean-Charles? Is that even a real person? Anyone other than the Spurs and we'd be mocking them for picking him in the 1st round, now everyone will say they knew he'd be good.

I loved that pick. He was the MVP of the Hoop Summit, the all-star game between the best American high-schoolers and the best international prospects, with 27 points and 13 rebounds. 7-8 players from that game will be lottery picks in next year's much-hyped draft. He probably would have gone higher, but he didn't participate in any team workouts after the game (most likely due to having a promise from the Spurs). If you liked what you saw from Kawhi Leonard in the Finals, you have to be excited for what the Spurs' coaching staff could do with him.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #270
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Not a fan of the teams the IU guys went to, but I still think Oladipo is the best overall prospect in the draft. Will just feel weird buying my son a Magic jersey!

Shocked at how gutted the Celtics are now. Can they win 15 games??

The Pelicans are an interesting team now.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #271
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post

Shocked at how gutted the Celtics are now. Can they win 15 games??

Will anyone in this town care if they do? Attendance at those games is going to be brutal next year.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #272
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Will anyone in this town care if they do? Attendance at those games is going to be brutal next year.

They should call up the Timberwolves for tips on how to deal with it. Turns out that if you run an offer give out 2 free tickets to anyone who walks into a metro area Target store you can get the arena almost half full for the team's home opener.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #273
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This will be hilarious, and also not end well:

Adrian Wojnarowski retweeted
1m

Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN
Rasheed Wallace is in talks with the Detroit Pistons to join Maurice Cheeks coaching staff, the Daily News has learned.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #274
Suicane75
Coordinator

So are the Sixers back in full rebuilding mode? Should I look forward to another depressing season? Is this Noel kid gonna make any kind of impact in the next year or two?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #275
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
So are the Sixers back in full rebuilding mode? Should I look forward to another depressing season? Is this Noel kid gonna make any kind of impact in the next year or two?

He's out until December I believe, so I wouldn't expect a great deal this season. Looks like it's a rebuild, especially with Holiday shipped out. I think Evan Turner will be next out the door.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #276
nol
Banned

Quote:

Yes. Yes. Not this year.

It'll be quite the race to the bottom between the 76ers, Boston, Charlotte, Orlando, and Phoenix.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #277
Suicane75
Coordinator

Oy
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #278
Groundhog
Coordinator

Looks like Sixers are going to be running with a 3 rookie PG rotation.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #279
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

So. Dwill JJ PP KG and Brook to be coached by Jason Kidd. Should be interesting.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #280
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I doubt Siva makes the Pistons but if he does I can see him carving out a role as an energy guy for 6-8 minutes a night.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #281
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hoping Dellavadova sneaks in for one of these last two picks...
Old 06-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #282
BishopMVP
Coordinator

If we're going into full rebuild mode I don't understand why we're trading future 2nd's to move up for Kelly Olynyk or Colton Iverson (I assume we're trading a future 2 there, but haven't seen any confirmation.)
Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #283
Groundhog
Coordinator

Olynyk was a steal at 13 IMO, while 98% of 2nd rounders don't amount to anything. I don't think Olynyk is going to win the Celts many games on his own next season, but could couple well with whoever the Celts suck enough to draft high next draft.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #284
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fairly happy with the Pistons draft. Caldwell-Pope is exactly what we need; a 2 guard who can shoot and defend. Will he work out? Who knows, but I think he is a better fit than Burke (which pains me to say).

Mitchell has a ton of potential and should be able to fit into our big man rotation. He may never be more than a rotational guy but it's hard to pass on his talent.

Siva could be an 11th or 12th man in the future which is fine for the 56th pick.

This draft basically ensures we make a huge run at Iguodala since we have a glaring hole at the 3 still. Not sure how I feel about the money it'll take but it'll be infinitely better than the Gordon/Villanueva debacle a few years ago.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #285
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wait, Flip Pressey didn't get drafted? Boy, didn't see that coming.........
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #286
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Interesting to see Doc call Simmons an idiot (in a bullshit passive-aggressive manner) and Simmons stand by his guns. Doc did quit on the Celtics.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #287
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
They really must be serious about being the 2nd best team in the East.

Do you think every team in the East should just lay down for the next 5-6 years?

They have to try and get better and did. You never know what can happen, the Heat looked beatable in a few series this year.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #288
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
If we're going into full rebuild mode I don't understand why we're trading future 2nd's to move up for Kelly Olynyk or Colton Iverson (I assume we're trading a future 2 there, but haven't seen any confirmation.)

Because they won't need the numbers in future years. They need the talent. Here's what the team already has:

Rondo
Green
Bradley
Sully
Lee
Melo
Bass
Olynyk
---
White
Wilcox
Williams
Crawford
Iverson

The first eight are all guys they probably want to stick around, are really young (wait and see mode) or will replace 1-for-1 in trades (Bass, Lee). That's 8 guys who could be on the roster for a while. It doesn't mean that they will be, but if moved they will be replaced with other guys (with the possible exception of Melo). Note I'm not counting the scrubs coming back from the Nets. Yeah, the team might have a guy like Wallace on the team for 3 years (or at least two), but none of those guys are long-term solutions. They're just roster filler for now.

So that's the core of the roster - eight relatively young guys. Not all of them will pan out, but all but Melo have shown they can play in the NBA. Now the Cs have two 1sts in 2014, 2 in 2015, 2 in 2016, 1 in 2017 and 2 in 2018. That's a huge amount of incoming 1st rounders. Many of those are likely to be pretty high picks that will easily make the team. That's 9 1st rounders in 5 years that also need roster space. Add that to the 8 young guys and the team is already over roster size limits.

So ultimately 2nd round picks in the next couple of years have little chance of making the roster simply due to the roster size. As such, it makes sense to get more guys in now and see if someone develops than to waste the 2nd round picks on an already overcrowded roster in the future.

Also, the Cs paid cash for the 2nd rounder last night. They didn't give away a future 2nd.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-28-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #289
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Interesting to see Doc call Simmons an idiot (in a bullshit passive-aggressive manner) and Simmons stand by his guns. Doc did quit on the Celtics.

I don't necessarily believe that. I think Doc was less-than-enthused about coaching a team that is clearly in tanking mode. I think the Celtics were less-than-enthused about paying a coach $7m/yr to coach a team in tanking mode. So it made sense for both sides to make a move.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #290
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Do you think every team in the East should just lay down for the next 5-6 years?

They have to try and get better and did. You never know what can happen, the Heat looked beatable in a few series this year.

If they were smart yes. Otherwise I would be trying to craft a situation where Lebron couldn't say no. Neither the Nets nor the Knicks are competently run, so there's no concern of that actually happening.

The Nets clearly are under the gun from their boss, so I'll thank them in advance for giving the Celtics several lottery picks once KG and Pierce retire. It should coincide perfectly with Lebrons twilight years.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #291
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I don't necessarily believe that. I think Doc was less-than-enthused about coaching a team that is clearly in tanking mode. I think the Celtics were less-than-enthused about paying a coach $7m/yr to coach a team in tanking mode. So it made sense for both sides to make a move.

I think it's one of those rare situations where there was a gain-gain outcome.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #292
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I think it's one of those rare situations where there was a gain-gain outcome.

Exactly.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #293
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think the Sixers made one of the best moves out of any team last night. They finally committed to a full rebuild.

Holiday is a good, but not great player. They'll essentially turn him into Noel and a late lottery pick, along with a trade exception they can use to take on salary with a pick. Think taking Shawn Marion off the Mavs hands who need to free up cap space and getting a 1st in return.

So that deal may net you 3 1st round picks for Holiday. It allows the Sixers to be real bad next year in a great draft class and potentially acquire a franchise player.

As for Noel, I don't think he'll be a star player, but I think he can become one of the best defensive bigs in the league. He's already an elite shot blocker. If things pan out with him, the Sixers have a big man to protect the paint for the next 7 or so years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #294
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Simmons was an assclown all night
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #295
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think the Sixers made one of the best moves out of any team last night. They finally committed to a full rebuild.

Holiday is a good, but not great player. They'll essentially turn him into Noel and a late lottery pick, along with a trade exception they can use to take on salary with a pick. Think taking Shawn Marion off the Mavs hands who need to free up cap space and getting a 1st in return.

So that deal may net you 3 1st round picks for Holiday. It allows the Sixers to be real bad next year in a great draft class and potentially acquire a franchise player.

As for Noel, I don't think he'll be a star player, but I think he can become one of the best defensive bigs in the league. He's already an elite shot blocker. If things pan out with him, the Sixers have a big man to protect the paint for the next 7 or so years.

Agreed with all of this. I like the potential of the big PG they got in the first round as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #296
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Simmons was an assclown all night

Why? I always find ways to pick on him but thought he was great last night...save for him blanking on why the last few years weren't good for Stern.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #297
cuervo72
Head Coach

From the very brief part of the draft I saw, he was right about Doc. Heard the opinion on Czaban's show (though he himself was out) too - he's moving to a 56-win team for a challenge? No, the challenge would have been sticking with Boston and rebuilding, not moving to a team that is primed for a number of runs. There's nothing really wrong with wanting to move to a team that is better, but admit that you had no real interest in rebuilding.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #298
whomario
Pro Starter

David Stern trolls the Brooklyn crowd at his final NBA Draft - SBNation.com
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #299
molson
General Manager

Well, it was a good run Big 3 (and Doc). I wasn't sure I'd ever see championship #17. Hard to believe the last time there was Celtics team without Paul Pierce, I was a sophomore in a tiny Syracuse dorm room.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #300
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Why? I always find ways to pick on him but thought he was great last night...save for him blanking on why the last few years weren't good for Stern.

Agreed, I thought he had a lot better chemistry with the group last night than he does with the halftime/postgame group. I also think that he did a pretty good job of softening the "Mel Kiper draftnik" vibe that seeps into the NBA coverage when Bilas and Fran get going.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote