Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #251
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If they ruled the drop legal while he was still on the course, but then later changed it, I can see why they waived the DQ. At the time he signed the scorecard, it was legal. Seems patently unfair to DQ someone when they went by the judgment of the officials at the time.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #252
cmp
Pro Rookie

Two stroke penalty seems fair to me. The whole DQ'ing people because they signed the scorecard incorrectly is ridiculous to me anyway.

Last edited by cmp : 04-13-2013 at 11:36 AM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #253
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
If they ruled the drop legal while he was still on the course, but then later changed it, I can see why they waived the DQ. At the time he signed the scorecard, it was legal. Seems patently unfair to DQ someone when they went by the judgment of the officials at the time.

Agree with this.

These guys saying that Tiger's legacy will forever be tainted by his refusal to DQ himself make me laugh very hard.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #254
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Agree with this.

These guys saying that Tiger's legacy will forever be tainted by his refusal to DQ himself make me laugh very hard.

People are taking themselves and this way too seriously. Casual golf fans don't want Tiger DQ'd and won't care about it.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #255
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Jon is right. Slow play is a huge problem in golf right now. No doubt they made an example of the kid, because he's an amateur, foreign and would not complain.

The problem isn't so much the call. It's that they'd never make that call against a tour pro in that position.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #256
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Casual golf fans don't want Tiger DQ'd and won't care about it.

You may be underestimating how many of us (extremely) casual fans despise the sumbitch.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #257
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You may be underestimating how many of us (extremely) casual fans despise the sumbitch.

Yep, but (the collective) you watch to hopefully see him fail on Sundays.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #258
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Two stroke penalty seems fair to me. The whole DQ'ing people because they signed the scorecard incorrectly is ridiculous to me anyway.

I think that a two stroke penalty is probably fair, but the perception that golf has different rules for different players is a problem.

As for the slow play penalty, I hope they start calling it on the PGA Tour. Slow play has been a problem for far too long on tour, and nothing is ever done about it.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #259
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I'm pretty sure you despise everything but pro rasslin and Strom thurmond
Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #260
cmp
Pro Rookie

The fact that he was told he made no violation before he signed the card should shut up anyone who says he should be disqualified.

I guess basketball players start following that sportsmanship commercial and tell refs when they hit the ball out of bounds and the ref makes the wrong call. People take advantage of rules all the time in sports, it's really not that big of a deal. Should offensive lineman start calling holding on themselves too?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I'm pretty sure you despise everything but pro rasslin and Strom thurmond

How the hell did you leave out metal?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #262
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tiger Woods has chance to win 2013 for greatest victory of career - GOLF.com
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #263
Atocep
Coordinator

Can someone tell me why the hell pro golfers (or their caddies really) are tasked with keeping their own score? Isn't it time to go to digital scoring for the PGA tour's official scores? It doesn't make sense to me why a golfer should ever be DQ'd or pressured to withdraw from a tournament for signing an incorrect scorecard simply because of a mix-up or a misunderstanding of a rule.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #264
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Can someone tell me why the hell pro golfers (or their caddies really) are tasked with keeping their own score? Isn't it time to go to digital scoring for the PGA tour's official scores? It doesn't make sense to me why a golfer should ever be DQ'd or pressured to withdraw from a tournament for signing an incorrect scorecard simply because of a mix-up or a misunderstanding of a rule.

Generally speaking, I believe there's a sense that part of the responsibility of the player is to know & understand the rules of the game. Honestly, it doesn't seem like that big a stretch to expect that.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #265
Kevin
High School JV

Quote:

Because it won't be golf anymore, just another fucked up over officiated sport trying to keep a bunch of hoodlums in order like the other big sports.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #266
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Tradition, really. That's the only reason.

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/N...le-Change.aspx

Here's the section of the Rules of Golf that they invoked to award the two-stroke penalty rather than DQing as would've happened two years prior.

Quote:
The R&A and the USGA have announced a new interpretation of the Rules that apply in limited circumstances not previously contemplated by the Rules of Golf where disqualifications have been caused by score card errors identified as the result of recent advances in video technologies.

This revision to Decision 33-7/4.5 addresses the situation where a player is not aware he has breached a Rule because of facts that he did not know and could not reasonably have discovered prior to returning his score card. Under this revised decision and at the discretion of the Committee, the player still receives the penalty associated with the breach of the underlying Rule, but is not disqualified.

In revising the decision, The R&A and the USGA confirm that the disqualification penalty still applies for score card breaches that arise from ignorance of the Rules of Golf. As such, this decision reinforces that it is still the responsibility of the player to know the Rules, while recognising that there may be some rare situations where it is reasonable that a player is unaware of the factual circumstances of a breach.

This revision to Decision 33-7/4.5 is effective immediately.

“For some time we have been concerned that, in certain limited circumstances, disproportionate disqualification penalties have been required by the Rules,” said Peter Dawson, Chief Executive of The R&A. “This carefully considered decision reflects our desire to ensure that the Rules of Golf remain fair and relevant in the changing environment in which the game is played today.”

“This is a logical and important step in our re-evaluation of the impact of high-definition video on the game,” said Mike Davis, executive director of the USGA. “We collectively believe that this revised decision addresses many video-related issues never contemplated by the Rules of Golf.”
Old 04-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #267
kingfc22
Head Coach

Bernard Langer with 3 straight birdies towards the start of his round and is into contention at -5. That would be a cool story if he can maintain in contention.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #268
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Would be awesome for sure.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #269
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Tradition, really. That's the only reason.

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/N...le-Change.aspx

Here's the section of the Rules of Golf that they invoked to award the two-stroke penalty rather than DQing as would've happened two years prior.

Based on my reading of the rule I think that Tiger should have been DQed as I don't think it applies to his situation. The new rule seems more likely designed to deal with situations like hitting loose impediments in a hazard which might only be detectable in a slow motion HD broadcast.

Tiger misinterpreted the rule, and was aware of what he was doing when he dropped in the wrong place. In his case it was a mistake by the player rather than an almost undetectable indiscretion, so there is not much room for manoeuvre in the rules.

It's about time golf did something about the scorecard rules, because the DQ penalty is almost always excessive. Personally, I would change the rules (on tour anyway) to allow the tournament to give the player the original penalty, plus maybe an extra penalty shot for the incorrect scorecard.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #270
hoopsguy
General Manager

10 for Watson on the twelth. Went from +1 to +8 on that hole.
Wasn't going to win anyway, but ouch! Three balls in the water.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #271
Logan
Head Coach

http://www.augusta.com/masters/story...ays-tournament

Last edited by Logan : 04-14-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #272
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Based on my reading of the rule I think that Tiger should have been DQed as I don't think it applies to his situation. The new rule seems more likely designed to deal with situations like hitting loose impediments in a hazard which might only be detectable in a slow motion HD broadcast.

Tiger misinterpreted the rule, and was aware of what he was doing when he dropped in the wrong place. In his case it was a mistake by the player rather than an almost undetectable indiscretion, so there is not much room for manoeuvre in the rules.

It's about time golf did something about the scorecard rules, because the DQ penalty is almost always excessive. Personally, I would change the rules (on tour anyway) to allow the tournament to give the player the original penalty, plus maybe an extra penalty shot for the incorrect scorecard.
I think some of the confusion is that people are getting the intent of the rule confused with the actual rule. Yes, the rule was intended to protect players who committed a rules breach that was later detected thanks to HD TV but was unaware of the violation when they signed their card.

However, the rule is very broad:
Quote:
A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted.
Based on the evidence that continues to come out, I think the two-shot penalty was a reasonable compromise. Tiger's words worked against him in that he essentially acknowledged he misunderstood the rule and committed a violation. However, the video and photo evidence is inconclusive. Tiger may have misunderstood the rule, attempted to play the ball two yards further back ... but actually played the shot much closer to the original than he realized.

He's (seemingly) not going to win so the furor is just a footnote now. But the uproar over the penalty is a fraction of what the uproar would have been if he had been DQ'd. That might have led to a war over the rules of golf that no one wants to fight.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #273
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Angel Cabrera challenges everything you think you know about golf and Augusta National.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #274
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Bernard Langer with 3 straight birdies towards the start of his round and is into contention at -5. That would be a cool story if he can maintain in contention.

Yeah, so about that ...
-5 after three
+2 ten holes later.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #275
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Who has the clubhouse lead?
Huh.
I said, "Who has the clubhouse lead?
Huh.
Can't you hear me? Great Scott!
Scott is tied for second.
What? Then who has the clubhouse lead?
Huh.
This is going to go on all day.
Day is tied with Scott.
Huh?
He has the clubhouse lead?
Yes.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 04-14-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #276
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Lindsey Vonn's ex-husband with the lolz

Meanwhile, Lindsey is also in Sunday Red.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...tfits/2082051/

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-14-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #277
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

That pick would have been removed if she were swinging a golf club. Also, Tiger would been going, "Not again."
Old 04-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #278
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
That pick would have been removed if she were swinging a golf club. Also, Tiger would been going, "Not again."

I started to make the joke "hope this doesn't get me banned."
Old 04-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #279
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Looking good for an Aussie finally ... unless Scott or Day really puke it up over the next few holes. Cabrera is doing his best to implode.

At the end of the day, Tiger's 15th disaster on Friday looks like it may be the difference. Without the two-stroke penalty, he's at -7 and breathing down everyone's neck. Without hitting the pin, he's -8 or -9. Heck, if he hadn't hit the pin, he might have gone nuts and have this thing wrapped up by 5 shots.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #280
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I take it back. Cabrera's going to win. Just fate. Scott and Day are going to do something crazy, and Cabrera is just an amazing son of a gun. He's going to light up a cigarette, eat a ham sandwich, chug a shot of whiskey and knock a ball from the pine needles in from 173 yards for the win.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #281
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow no one wants to win this thing.

My money has been on Day all weekend, so that's where I'm sticking.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #282
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Adam Scott should be assessed a two-shot penalty for that celebration move on 18.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #283
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Scott thinks he just won The Masters, so if Cabrera can get a birdie and force a playoff, I like he's chances. But getting a birdie there will be no easy feat.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #284
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Holy freakin' crap. What a shot by Cabrera. That's got to be a gut punch to Scott.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 04-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #285
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Good thing I didn't put real money on it. Heh. T-3 isn't the outcome Tiger wanted, but it sure beats WD or DQ.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #286
Jas_lov
College Starter

Adam Scott is out of his league against El Pato. If there's a big shot to be hit in the playoff, Adam Scott won't do it. Cabrera will get that elusive 3rd major.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #287
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tough break by Cabrera there. Man, what a shot.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #288
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Aussie streak is over.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #289
hoopsguy
General Manager

Hard to believe that Jas_lov got a prediction wrong
Old 04-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #290
Jas_lov
College Starter

I knew as soon as I said that Scott would hit that putt. Pretty clutch shot.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #291
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Golf is a cruel game. Tiger doesn't hit the flag stick on Friday, he likely wins. Angel Cabrera misses a putt by an inch, and loses.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #292
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Game of inches indeed.

Congrats to Adam Scott, and props to Angel Cabrera who appeared to be a completely class act.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #293
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #294
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Some amazing clutch putts in the past hour.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #295
Izulde
Head Coach

Adam Scott is a UNLV alum. Just thought I'd point that out.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #296
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I was wrong at evey turn I who would win. Good thing I don't gamble on golf or I'd be sleeping in a van down by the river tonight.

Can't say I'm terribly happy for Scott. He might be a nice guy but Stevie is his caddy and he uses a belly putter. If he wore a Jesper Parenvik hat or Ricky Fowler's pants, he'd hit the golfer douche bag trifecta.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #297
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yet another reason why Sergio Garcia sucks.
2013 Players Championship -- Sergio Garcia says Tiger Woods distracted him during shot - ESPN
Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #298
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, that was pretty bitchy of him. Interesting to see if the rookie can hold the lead down the stretch. We know Tiger doesn't win tournaments from behind and missed some birdie opportunities today. I think one of the Swedes will end up pulling it out.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #299
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Yeah, that was pretty bitchy of him. Interesting to see if the rookie can hold the lead down the stretch. We know Tiger doesn't win tournaments from behind and missed some birdie opportunities today. I think one of the Swedes will end up pulling it out.

He's starting today tied for the lead, after finishing the 3rd round early this morning with a one under 71. Tiger is 52-4 when having at least a share of the lead going into the final round. He and Sergio won't be paired together when the 4th round kicks off later today.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #300
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Last night, I forgot that the 3rd round wasn't over yet.

With a 2 shot lead through 13, just hits it fat and in the water on 14...