Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #251
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just watched the Xmas episode. Good stuff.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Talk about random thread necromancy, but I thought it was very cool to discover that Halestorm's "Here's To Us" made tonight's episode of Glee. Pretty big deal for a band at this stage of their career, they seem pretty jacked about it and I'm pretty happy for 'em.

Here's the real thing in case you Gleesters (Gleeites? Gleeps?) are curious.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #253
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I assume they used an edited version.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #254
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And the term is gleeks, if you were interested, JIMG .

Btw, powerful ep, at least in the beginning.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #255
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I kinda gave up on this show. Becmae repetitive and the musical numbers were so showy it lost its edge that it had in the beginning.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #256
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I kinda gave up on this show. Becmae repetitive and the musical numbers were so showy it lost its edge that it had in the beginning.

Ditto - I like the songs, but the story and characters did absolutely nothing to keep my interest.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #257
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Oh and their dumbass decision to dump Michele, Montheith, and Colver (which also by default dumps O'Malley and Darren Criss) is just stupid. Gee Colver won the golden globe and nominated for an emmy (bringing more attention to the show) and Michele is one of the reasons the show works. She'll probably just go back to broadway though. Their reasoning is just pretentious and full of it. There are always reasons to keep write in people on a show. Heck they don't HAVE to graduate at the end of the season. I think they signed their cancellation notice.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #258
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I had heard they were thinking of a spin-off with a few of those characters - anything more on that? I do agree that Glee itself would lose quite a bit by losing them.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #259
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh and their dumbass decision to dump Michele, Montheith, and Colver (which also by default dumps O'Malley and Darren Criss) is just stupid. Gee Colver won the golden globe and nominated for an emmy (bringing more attention to the show) and Michele is one of the reasons the show works. She'll probably just go back to broadway though. Their reasoning is just pretentious and full of it. There are always reasons to keep write in people on a show. Heck they don't HAVE to graduate at the end of the season. I think they signed their cancellation notice.

I have FAR more respect for them doing this than keeping them on indefinitely like this is Saved by the Bell.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #260
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

They could do what FNL did and still keep certain characters around and give them big send offs as needed. If Colfer is 100% gone with no appearances, then that's going to be a huge loss for the show and a misstep on their part.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #261
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well they'll likely follow Michelle, Montheith, and Colfer in NY, but it won't be a major story arc. I imagine that next year the main actors will be Darren Criss and Chord Overstreet (and hopefully the glee project winners get more screen time).
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #262
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have FAR more respect for them doing this than keeping them on indefinitely like this is Saved by the Bell.
1000x yes. This show doesn't work because these actors are so great - in fact, Finn is a pretty terribly acted character and he can't dance. It's the shell that works and I give tons of credit to moving graduating characters out. This will make me MORE likely to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well they'll likely follow Michelle, Montheith, and Colfer in NY, but it won't be a major story arc. I imagine that next year the main actors will be Darren Criss and Chord Overstreet (and hopefully the glee project winners get more screen time).

Just a side note. This habit of using the actors' names instead of characters is annoying to me. I had to go to IMDB to figure it out. These guys aren't known names except maybe Lea Michele and Jane Lynch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #263
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Shameful

Glee Egregiously Rips Off Jonathan Coulton

Glee made its name on enthusiastic unoriginality. The hit TV show, in which high school teens sing syrupy-sweet covers of famous pop tunes, has never really relied on new musical material. But the cover arrangements on the show are often very original—smart, interesting reharmonizations and mash-ups that often make even the tiredest pop tunes sound fresh.

However, with one of their arrangements for next week's episode, Glee appears to have flagrantly stolen an arrangement from geeky songwriter Jonathan Coulton.

Last edited by stevew : 01-20-2013 at 04:14 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #264
Izulde
Head Coach

Glee's got at most one or two seasons left anyway. The new high school cast is terrible and uninteresting - essentially a reset of the original cast's character types with not enough variance to make it worthwhile. This is probably intentional, but it isn't working. At all.

The New York stuff, as unrealistic as a lot of it is, is nonetheless actually interesting and pretty much the only reason I keep up with the show anymore.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #265
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Shameful

Glee Egregiously Rips Off Jonathan Coulton

Glee made its name on enthusiastic unoriginality. The hit TV show, in which high school teens sing syrupy-sweet covers of famous pop tunes, has never really relied on new musical material. But the cover arrangements on the show are often very original—smart, interesting reharmonizations and mash-ups that often make even the tiredest pop tunes sound fresh.

However, with one of their arrangements for next week's episode, Glee appears to have flagrantly stolen an arrangement from geeky songwriter Jonathan Coulton.

This story has gotten huge in the nerd world the last 24 hours and it blows my mind. First off the "proof" is a screenshot of swedish Itunes so its entirely possible that this isnt even real. Secondly, unless they actually used his master tracks, which would be stupidity of the highest order, theyve actually done nothing either uncommon or illegal. Theyve used other peoples covers before, American Idol has done it a TON, X Factor has done it in multiple countries, and rarely is the original artist credited or even mentioned. Speaking of credit....Coulton might be credited in the show but nobody has bothered to find out before raising hell. Its entirely possible that he has a full screen with an announcement saying "the arrangement of baby got back was done by jonathan coulton", which would be above and beyond whats required of the show but nobody knows because, again, NOBODY ASKED ANYONE.

For the record: Im a fan of Coulton and i think it would be a dick move to take his arrangement and not credit him. If they were dumb enough to use his tracks then sue the hell out of them. Otherwise this is between them and sir mix a lot because colton doesnt own the song. Good for Coulton though; the sheer volume of nerd anger, which hes even admitted he shouldnt have sparked since he didnt bother talking to a lawyer or anyone from Glee, has gotten him more publicity than hes probably had in years.

Last edited by chadritt : 01-20-2013 at 04:51 AM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #266
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
First off the "proof" is a screenshot of swedish Itunes so its entirely possible that this isnt even real.

You didn't follow the link to the Swedish store that's right above the image?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #267
chadritt
High School Varsity

Still doesnt change a whole lot and still could be an error since only sweden seems to have it. This is massively blown out of proportion and handled incredibly poorly.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #268
DanGarion
Coordinator

If there is anything I know. That sounds EXACTLY like the JC music and song...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #269
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

TV Show ‘Glee’ Depicts School Shooting - ABC News

very poor taste.

I stopped watching the show a while back, so I can't comment on the episode aside from what I read in the article, but seems like a poor decision to air an episode like this one.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #270
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

'Glee' star Cory Monteith found dead in hotel in Canada - CNN.com
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #271
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow. That's sad.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #272
Flasch186
Coordinator

I find myself less and less saddened when a person with a past involving drugs passes away. Not to sound callous but as Ive grown older I tend to say to myself, "yup, drugs." and immediately cast blame on the person who passed versus feeling any sadness at all. Not sure what other variables are involved with my getting there but Im just not feeling sadness anymore when this occurs.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #273
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I find myself less and less saddened when a person with a past involving drugs passes away. Not to sound callous but as Ive grown older I tend to say to myself, "yup, drugs." and immediately cast blame on the person who passed versus feeling any sadness at all. Not sure what other variables are involved with my getting there but Im just not feeling sadness anymore when this occurs.

+1
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #274
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Addiction is a sickness. One by all accounts he tried to have treated. Would you feel the same had he does of cancer?

It's easy for you and me to say "he should just stop taking drugs " but for someone suffering addiction it's not that simple.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #275
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Addiction is a sickness. One by all accounts he tried to have treated. Would you feel the same had he does of cancer?

It's easy for you and me to say "he should just stop taking drugs " but for someone suffering addiction it's not that simple.

Not sure Im right or wrong just a feeling of moving very quickly past the sadness phase. I used to feel it for longer before moving to the casting blame phase but that sadness phase is now very very short.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #276
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

This. My aunt had a lump on her breast and we were all really worried, thank god the biopsy showed she was just addicted to drugs.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #277
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Here's the real thing in case you Gleesters (Gleeites? Gleeps?) are curious.

I think the word you're searching for is virgins.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #278
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Sharknado claims another.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #279
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

He never should have started. You can't be addicted to something you never try.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #280
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Wow. Judge much?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #281
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Between this comment and your views on gay marriage you really do see the world with blinders on.

I will say I appreciate you standing by your statements. No matter how shortsighted they may be.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #282
FBPro
College Starter

Sad nevertheless........
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #283
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow. Judge much?

Do you smoke? If not, why don't you? Must have decided it wasn't good for you and probably shouldn't do it because of the health risks?

People know drugs are bad -- there are countless examples of people's lives who were ruined because of them. You pick one up, you're taking a risk. Just that simple. Kids are told from day one about the dangers of them. Don't want the consequences, don't pick them up.

Alcoholism runs rampant through my family. Both grandpas, my dad who recently died from it in September, and my two brothers are on their way. I chose long ago to never drink. I made the decision long ago because I didn't want the consequences both personally and for those I'm around. I hardly live with blinders. I made choices in my life that go right to the root of my beliefs on this topic.

As for gay marriage, I would say I have evolved on things there. I was wrong. I still don't believe the government has any place in marriage whatsoever but if they're going to be involved in someway, then everybody must be treated equally.

Last edited by rowech : 07-14-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #284
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I got you confused with someone else on gay marriage. My bad. As for addiction , he was 13. Do you hold yourself accountable for your actions from when you were 13?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #285
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I got you confused with someone else on gay marriage. My bad. As for addiction , he was 13. Do you hold yourself accountable for your actions from when you were 13?

I think in the case of things like drugs, you have to. Like I said, these kids hear it in school from such an early age about how wrong it is, how much damage it can do, etc. that it's just a dumb decision. I think people would be shocked how early and how much information kids are getting on drugs now.

I suppose an argument can be made that presenting that information to kids might make them all the more curious.

I also think an argument can be made that we as a society have somewhat made the problem worse because of the way we medicate in this country. Have a headache -- take a pill, have problem x -- take a pill, have problem y -- take a pill. I'm not saying all drugs are bad so please don't take it that way. I'm saying in many ways I fear our society has created a culture where we simply take so many medications that kids can get the idea that it will "help" their situation to take drugs.

I still think at 13, you know what decision you're making with drugs. You know it's wrong. You might not understand the consequences of what might happen but you still know it's wrong.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #286
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He isn't 13 anymore. He has been able to afford the best help imagineable. Sad to hear but his death was caused by his own actions, his own lack of willpower. This was something he had the power and resources to prevent.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #287
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That just strikes me as really harsh. I mean, I'm glad the stupid mistakes I made at 13 (or 18 or 23) were of the harmless variety and not the serious variety. But I still think there's some measure of "there but by the grace of God go I". There's a reason why we don't give full rights and privileges to people until 18 or 21. Even at that age, it's hard to sometimes understand the full consequences of our actions.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #288
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

He was 30 years old.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #289
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think it's sad that people look at addicts and assume they lack will power or that it is as easy as simply not doing it anymore.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #290
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I think it's sad that they think there is no personal responsibility involved. That all of a sudden you wake up and are forced to ingest narcotics with no ways to stop it. That it's like catching the flu, just crappy luck.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #291
lungs
Pro Rookie

Addiction is often times a symptom of a larger psychological disorder. Last summer my parents took in my cousin that was addicted to heroin. It was a messy situation with grandparents on both sides turning it into a holy war because of her lack of religion and my parents and aunt/uncle thinking that removing her from her environment was all that was needed. After spending some time with her and sharing my own past substance abuse issues I could tell it was a deeply rooted psychological issue. Once I convinced my family that none of them were psychologists and that she needed inpatient care, we finally made some progress. A year later she's doing much better and is currently working on her teaching degree. Not that there won't be any bumps in the road, but as a family we are much better equipped to deal with these issues now. Unfortunately in some cases like this, it doesn't work out.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #292
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think it's sad that they think there is no personal responsibility involved. That all of a sudden you wake up and are forced to ingest narcotics with no ways to stop it.

Pretty much this.

And as far as being 13 when he started, if you don't have a better sense of right/wrong, wise/foolish, etc. by that point then something more than just addiction has gone wrong already afaic.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #293
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Pretty much this.

And as far as being 13 when he started, if you don't have a better sense of right/wrong, wise/foolish, etc. by that point then something more than just addiction has gone wrong already afaic.

This may be nearly as silly as comparing addiction to cancer.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
This may be nearly as silly as comparing addiction to cancer.

Why? Because I expect someone to have already developed the foundations of making choices by the time they're 13?

If that's wrong, then just damn ... I guess we really have abdicated personal responsibility, starting with parenting.

Let's be clear here: at that age it's still a learning process, but the foundations of it better be pretty much laid. And I can say that as someone who (considerably older than 13) spent all or part of 92 straight days drunk well beyond the legal limit. But the choice to do that was a conscious one, the responsibility for it was my own.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #295
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Why? Because I expect someone to have already developed the foundations of making choices by the time they're 13?

If that's wrong, then just damn ... I guess we really have abdicated personal responsibility, starting with parenting.

+1
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #296
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

There is a big difference between the foundation being laid, understanding right and wrong, and comprehending the gravity and long term effects of situations when you haven't had near the life experience to completely understand them. I knew I shouldn't smoke when I was 16, I had very little consideration for the long term effects because sometimes you can't comprehend the levels pain addictions bring until it's far too late.

Quote:
Unfortunately for the most part I believe we have. But even with the best parenting, to say that a 13 year old should be able to figure things out well beyond his maturity level is insane. Are you a smoker John? For some reason I think I recall you saying you were, but it might just be your sig that I'm recalling. In any event you mentioned your drinking, does that mean your parents were bad parents? Of course not.

Quote:
Let's be clear here: at that age it's still a learning process, but the foundations of it better be pretty much laid. And I can say that as someone who (considerably older than 13) spent all or part of 92 straight days drunk well beyond the legal limit. But the choice to do that was a conscious one, the responsibility for it was my own.

I agree with you that it's about personal responsibility. But as anyone who's ever been addicted to anything ever knows, whether it's twinkies, cigarettes or cocaine, you don't do it the first and second time because it makes you feel shitty and the idea that you're chasing some fictional golden carrot doesn't really set in till it's too late.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #297
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Are you a smoker John?

Good heavens, you really don't know me, do you?

I'm a steady 2-pack-a-day guy (down from my peak of 3.5 ppd) for what seems like forever, in reality only since hmm, 19ish IIRC.

My point about the parenting is/was that the foundations should certainly be in place by age 13. And if they are then there's personal responsibility that goes with the choices being made, the whole "he was just a kid" excuse doesn't really hold much water at that point.

That applies to me smoking at 19 or my own kid criminally trespassing* at like 11 or 12 or this actor doing whatever he did at 13.

*not charged nor even investigated but that's essentially what it was
Old 07-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #298
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Holy shit the last half page of this thread may have made me angrier than anything else I've read on FOFC. Just really shocked (eventhough I know I shouldn't be) at how heartless people can be sometimes.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #299
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Holy shit the last half page of this thread may have made me angrier than anything else I've read on FOFC. Just really shocked (eventhough I know I shouldn't be) at how heartless people can be sometimes.

This.

Though props to Lathum and Suicane for reminding me that humanity has some redeeming qualities left.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #300
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I didn't mean to come across heartless. I think it's sad that he died. I think it's sad his friends and family have to go through this. I think it's sad someone that young with that kind of talent will never get to live out a great life that they had built.

He made a decision on how he wanted to live his life. There are unfortunate consequences for that lifestyle. He wasn't some broke junkie with no support system either. He had money to buy the best help in the world (which he previously did), he had loving family and friends behind him, he had a bright future.