Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2015, 02:05 AM   #251
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Big announcement and trailer for a new show in 2016. Seemed a bit early to start the 2016 thread I give you DC's Legends of Tomorrow!

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow Trailer Released | Comicbook.com

A very interesting mix of characters-some villains, a reborn villain (now hero?), and some new characters, and a much anticipated change to an already existing character at the very end of the trailer, my favorite part of it.

Hawkgirl blindsided me. Didn't see that coming.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #252
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Hawkgirl blindsided me. Didn't see that coming.

Have to say I was a bit surprised too-given the non-christian gods origin (if that makes it to the tv show), I thought they might be a bit leery about using her. I think she is also the only non-white "hero" on the team, which might be why she was chosen. She's always been one of the most popular members of the Justice Laague (both comics and tv), and likely will be here too if the actress is any good. Most curious to see how quickly she finds Hawkman.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #253
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watched a bit of the Halt and Catch Fire marathon a week or so ago. It seemed like a good show.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #254
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I did catch up on Orphan Black season 3. Donnie and Alison attempting Breaking Bad is pretty entertaining. The Male clones slowly become tolerable.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #255
Thomkal
Head Coach

Flash finale-wow what a finale. Reverse-Flash confirms Cisco's hero to be'ness (vibe)-and Barry's visions as he approached mach-2-including the first look at Killer Frost! the tearjerker scenes with Barry in the first half as he weighs his choices-that epic scene in the accelerator to open the wormhole, the big surprise when he finally with his mom and his arrival back through the wormhole to attack Reverse-Flash.

The shocking sacrifice of a pretty-useless character till then at least to end the threat of RF (or did he? ) and just where did his body go? The best special effect scene in the show so far-the tornado/black hole that is taking out Central City (and just where will Barry find himself when he gets out of it?) This may be the first clue:

The Flash's Grant Gustin Teases Earth 2 In Near Future | Comicbook.com

This site is a great place to go to for CW's superhero shows news-lots of other articles there about the finale and season 2 of Flash already.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 AM   #256
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Flash finale-wow what a finale. Reverse-Flash confirms Cisco's hero to be'ness (vibe)-and Barry's visions as he approached mach-2-including the first look at Killer Frost! the tearjerker scenes with Barry in the first half as he weighs his choices-that epic scene in the accelerator to open the wormhole, the big surprise when he finally with his mom and his arrival back through the wormhole to attack Reverse-Flash.

The shocking sacrifice of a pretty-useless character till then at least to end the threat of RF (or did he? ) and just where did his body go? The best special effect scene in the show so far-the tornado/black hole that is taking out Central City (and just where will Barry find himself when he gets out of it?) This may be the first clue:

The Flash's Grant Gustin Teases Earth 2 In Near Future | Comicbook.com

This site is a great place to go to for CW's superhero shows news-lots of other articles there about the finale and season 2 of Flash already.

I suspect that
Spoiler

Last edited by SackAttack : 05-21-2015 at 02:52 AM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #257
Thomkal
Head Coach

I completely agree with that spoiler Sack, no way do I see it happening on Earth-1.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #258
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

we added the Flash into the family viewing rotation this year without really any expectations that it would be any good, but it quickly turned into the show we couldn't wait to watch each week, while we have several episodes of SHIELD and Once Upon a Time gathering dust on the DVR.

I personally am surprised at how much I liked it, as I have a real issue with dumb or lazy writing in "serious" shows. Every time someone pops in unexpectantly at Star Labs (seriously, these geniuses couldn't invent a locking door?) or when Cisco looks at a futuristic power supply and says he has no idea how to deactivate it, but he's guessing it will activate in 36 hours or how Joe seemingly has an amaaaaaazing amount of free time allowing him to zip across town from the station to the lab at his leisure...all those things should drive me CRAZY. But they don't - I just have fun watching it.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #259
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I did catch up on Orphan Black season 3. Donnie and Alison attempting Breaking Bad is pretty entertaining. The Male clones slowly become tolerable.

I'm caught up now, I'm liking it more than season 2, unsure if that's because they are telling a better story or if I've just embraced the insanity. It did take a little while but I'm also now interested in the male clones, or at least, entertained by them.

Last edited by Radii : 05-21-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #260
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I kinda shudder cause I kinda figure this will lead to some new Alpha girl being out there most likely, right? The person who Sarah is cloned from.

Also the best thing for the shoe would be to kill off Helena sooner than later as she takes the show to places where they aren't good at writing.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #261
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Also the best thing for the shoe would be to kill off Helena sooner than later as she takes the show to places where they aren't good at writing.

I am totally willing to continue to go to those places b/c Helena is fucking awesome.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #262
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess I'm just team Alison. She's had the best stories throughout the show IMO. I literally lose myself in the character so much that I think she's played by some random actress whereas the others are so obviously Sarah in wigs.

I do like the scorpion, I just think Helena needs different stuff.

The two male clones that they've primarily used are written dissimilarly enough that I think that actor has done a great job with the material.

Last edited by stevew : 05-21-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #263
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well goodbye Duggars.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #264
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Is it sad that I immediately thought, "Oh wow, they're trying to resurrect Earth 2 again? That was kind of a not bad show."

Earth 2 (TV Series 1994–1995) - IMDb
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #265
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Well goodbye Duggars.

Yeah, fuck those people and the sad thing is Oprah knew about this in 2006 but TLC just made them famous without vetting them at all.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #266
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well finally got around to watching the finale of How to Get Away with Murder-(don't read, not spoilering it). Wow-all season concentrating on all the various people who killed Lilia, and it turns out to be none of the above. It really looked like they were trying to push Frank to the front as the murderer in this episode however. And now Rebecca it seems? And did Annalisa know that she was dead alreaady as she comforted Wes? Wow great acting on her part.

The other shock was with Oliver. How many saw that coming? Conor did finally get his results right?

I will watch the first couple of episodes next season just to see which direction they are going, but may quit then. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of writer Shonda Rhines. Stopped watching Scandal, because she just makes her worlds horrible and evil-every character has a secret in their past-something that would destroy them if it got out, everybody ends up doing something horrible and/or evil and most get away with it (usually by killing and/or torturing). The excuses and coverups just get bigger and more elaborate so that it gets ridiculous and pure fantasy rather than something you can believe in.

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-25-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:01 AM   #267
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rhimes isn't the creative force behind HTGAWM. It's someone else.

Hannibal is back and amazing. Something a lot of people are truly missing out on.

Also Unforgettable will be on A&E at some point this year. It's a show that can't die.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #268
Thomkal
Head Coach

Dark Matter premiers tonight on SYFY. (after the season opener of Defiance). Looks to be a bit of mystery-6 people wake up on a starship with no memory, but soon begin to remember stuff. 10pm ET tonight.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #269
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kinda wonder why they used fake Kumail and Jonah Ray on Maron this week. I guess it was funnier than if they used the real ones.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #270
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Hannibal is back and amazing. Something a lot of people are truly missing out on.

I am loving the start to the new season so far.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #271
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Dark Matter premiers tonight on SYFY. (after the season opener of Defiance). Looks to be a bit of mystery-6 people wake up on a starship with no memory, but soon begin to remember stuff. 10pm ET tonight.

Eh, didn't catch my interest. What did you think?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 PM   #272
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Eh, didn't catch my interest. What did you think?

I have not watched it Edward, probably will tomorrow. Based on recent offerings from SyFy, I will probably not like this one. Have to see what kind of universe these guys are in and what their goal is when they get their memories back. I'll let you know when I watch it
Old 06-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Honestly have no clue what the plot of Orphan black is anymore. It got more enjoyable once they left rendition camp. I still have no idea what happened.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #274
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Honestly have no clue what the plot of Orphan black is anymore. It got more enjoyable once they left rendition camp. I still have no idea what happened.

I thought this season was 100 times better than last. I doubt they'll ever fully find the magic they had in season 1, but I think they recovered decently well this year from what they did in season 2.

EDIT: Still too many coincidences and too much conspiracy spaghetti, but still better than last year. Also, I assume they don't really have a long term plan so even if they do a coherant season there will be weird "OMG NEW TWIST" to end each season. I like other things about the show enough to have just accepted that.

Last edited by Radii : 06-21-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #275
stevew
Hall Of Famer

WTF was that worm?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #276
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BattleBots was fun to watch, call back to 2002, and it had the best moment I can remember from any season when we found out what happens when a spinning wheel of death hits a mini bot with a flamethrower juuuuuuuuuust right:

https://gfycat.com/BrownMildDouglasfirbarkbeetle
Old 06-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #277
stevew
Hall Of Famer

FU NBC. Someone better pick up season 4 of Hannibal, even if it's Amazon.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #278
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
FU NBC. Someone better pick up season 4 of Hannibal, even if it's Amazon.

It's hard to be too tough on NBC. Given the poor ratings and some of what they get away with, the three seasons they got were impressive. I do hope it gets picked up somewhere. I love this show. Most beautiful TV show I've ever watched.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It's hard to be too tough on NBC. Given the poor ratings and some of what they get away with, the three seasons they got were impressive. I do hope it gets picked up somewhere. I love this show. Most beautiful TV show I've ever watched.

It wasn't even doing particularly good cable numbers at this point.

Can't blame NBC for this at all really.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 AM   #280
RainMaker
General Manager

So the Top Gear guys coming back with a show on Netflix? Seems like a great fit to me.

Jeremy Clarkson confirms new car show with former 'Top Gear' mates - Business Insider
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #281
RainMaker
General Manager

That Sense8 show on Netflix is hilariously bad.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:26 PM   #282
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

The Wachokowskis are seriously M. Night 2.0
Old 06-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #283
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So the Top Gear guys coming back with a show on Netflix? Seems like a great fit to me.

Jeremy Clarkson confirms new car show with former 'Top Gear' mates - Business Insider

Nice; I just hope it has the same magic as Top Gear.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #284
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's actually getting some really good reviews. Especially in how it continues to get better as the season progresses.

I know people enjoy Alan Sepinwall - here is his review:

Review: Netflixs ambitious, uneven, and occasionally brilliant Sense8
Old 06-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #285
Thomkal
Head Coach

Heroes Reborn trailer up, starts in Sept-looks like a lot of the old cast will appear, along with several new heroes.

Heroes Reborn - The Extraordinary Among Us (Preview) - YouTube
Old 06-26-2015, 12:36 AM   #286
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's actually getting some really good reviews. Especially in how it continues to get better as the season progresses.

I know people enjoy Alan Sepinwall - here is his review:

Review: Netflixs ambitious, uneven, and occasionally brilliant Sense8

I love almost any kind of sci-fi, but I found this show to be garbage. It's more focused around the characters, but the characters are all as stereotypical as they come. They rarely interact with each other which makes it feel like a bunch of different shows merged into one.

The story is excruciatingly slow and just boring. Something you should never say about a big budget sci-fi show. I still don't necessarily know what the big plot is for the show since they barely cover that stuff in each episode. It's much more focused on putting the characters into "edgy" sex scenes.

And if your show is going to be focused on the characters and not any kind of story, you need some good actors and too many of the stars are just terrible.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:53 AM   #287
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I enjoyed season 1 of The Comedians on FX. Seemed to improve steadily throughout the season. Never was a big fan of Billy Crystal but he's pretty good.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #288
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rectify is back on Thursday on SundanceTV. Highly bingeable, check out seasons 1+2 on Netflix. This is the best show in the AMC family.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #289
whomario
Pro Starter

Might be as good a place as any: My google skills might be deteriorating, so i need some help. Are there any more Sitcoms aside from How I Met Your Mother out there (now or long gone) using an "unreliable narrator" in an extensive way ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #290
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

TV Tropes is usually good for this stuff

Live-Action TV / Unreliable Narrator - TV Tropes

edit: Though it appears that HIMYM is one of the few that seemingly does it on a consistent basis. Though HIMYM wore its description of a postmodern TV show like a badge, doing all sorts of crazy stuff in that guise (unreliable narration, playing with time through flashbacks and flashforwards, tons of callbacks, etc)

The only other one I can think of that tries as hard, of hand, is Arrested Development.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-10-2015 at 10:49 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #291
whomario
Pro Starter

Thanks TVtropes sometimes really weirds me out with their overly-specific partitions, had actually looked earlier and not found it. Or rather, found this Unreliable Narrator - TV Tropes (silly me for not scrolling down half the page on the search list and look under "Unreliable Narrator: LiveActionTV" )

yeah, Arrested Development sprung to mind as well but since that was it i figured there had to be more.

Good call on the postmodern direction. Between this and the "(oral) history" stuff of it, you could definitely wring some good pages out of its narrative devices.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #292
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Rectify is back on Thursday on SundanceTV. Highly bingeable, check out seasons 1+2 on Netflix. This is the best show in the AMC family.

Forgot that was even starting up. Looking forward to it. Should have episode 1 on the DVR.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #293
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Welp, it looks like I'll be ordering Starz this Fall...

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #294
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

groovy
Old 07-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #295
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Welp, it looks like I'll be ordering Starz this Fall...

Bruce Campbell must need money.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:02 PM   #296
Easy Mac

Mr. Robot is so, so good.

That is all.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #297
BishopMVP
Coordinator

For all the Cinemax people on here, Strike Back's final season premieres tonight.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #298
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Mr. Robot is so, so good.

That is all.

I have been enjoying it quite a bit. Not ready to start recommending it to friends, because it would be easy for them to royally fuck up at any point along the way, I'm waiting for the end of the season, if it ends well I'll start telling friends to watch.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:59 PM   #299
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm also enjoying Mr. Robot though have the latest two episodes on my DVR. I'm a little afraid of them. It looks like it might be taking a turn I'm not really into, just based on previews...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #300
mckerney
Coordinator

Season 2 of Review is off to a great start.

Bare-Knuckle Brawl, Blackmail, Glory Hole - Review Episode - Season 2 - Ep. 201 | Comedy Central
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote