Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #251
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Following-
Not sure about the Edgar Allan Poe stuff. Seems like it could get silly. I hate kids in peril stuff. I'll watch but it could go south pretty fast.

New Girl-if you don't like this show, I hope you get pogo'd

Mindy Project-I'm cautiously optimistic they are revamping this into a good show. Duplass brothers and Brian Williams' kid are a good angle.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #252
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

New Girl-if you don't like this show, I hope you get pogo'd

This +1000000
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #253
mckerney
Coordinator

Love New Girl.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #254
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Mindy Project-I'm cautiously optimistic they are revamping this into a good show. Duplass brothers and Brian Williams' kid are a good angle.

This is one of a few shows that I have on my DVR but haven't started watching yet. It sounds like its worth catching up on? For reference, I really like New Girl, and watched 3 episodes of Ben and Kate and deleted the rest without hesitation.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #255
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's still a work in progress unless you're really into Mindy Kaling
Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #256
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
This +1000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Love New Girl.

Funniest show on TV week after week.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #257
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I think Mindy Kaling is doing an amazing job with that show. Maybe my bias of Kaling is clouding my judgment, but I think it's pretty good - hopefully others feel the same to keep it around!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #258
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I agree with this... I loved the pedigree of the show, and I thought the pilot was great, but that idea should have been a miniseries, which the networks really won't do. Maybe you could have started from a different angle and ended up with that plot as part of series, but as a standalone storyline that was always a one-season arc at best imo. Even by episode 5 or 6 they were basically dragging their feet and delving into ancillary storylines. Haven't caught the last few yet, but hopefully they had the right amount of warning on their impending cancellation and were able to tie everything up nicely.

Have you been watching/catching up?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #259
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

The finale of Last Resort was meh.

It would be mildly interesting to read the original script to see how they prolonged the plots & added more fluff plotlines, but overall the show was an interesting concept with an outstanding lead actor & a few well cast characters. I'd love to see what BBC would have done with it.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #260
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

It would be mildly interesting to read the original script to see how they prolonged the plots & added more fluff plotlines, but overall the show was an interesting concept with an outstanding lead actor & a few well cast characters. I'd love to see what BBC would have done with it.

Last Resort co-creator Shawn Ryan on the series finale, Beverly Hills Cop and more

It was just so rushed, it didn't have a chance. I still liked the season overall and wish it had done a bit better and gotten at least a full season instead of the shortened one that we saw.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #261
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Last Resort co-creator Shawn Ryan on the series finale, Beverly Hills Cop and more

It was just so rushed, it didn't have a chance. I still liked the season overall and wish it had done a bit better and gotten at least a full season instead of the shortened one that we saw.
I know this should be saved for the 2014-14 TV Schedule thread, but I fear the Beverly Hills Cop TV show may be the biggest unmitigated disaster since the Chevy Chase Show.

The movie worked because Eddie Murphy was at this peak, John Ashton and Judge Reinhold had fantastic chemistry and the soundtrack was awesome. If that had been the originally planned Sylvester Stallone movie, it wouldn't have worked. It was a stroke of luck that Eddie Murphy was plugged into a dramatic role at the last minute and added the funny.

If Murphy and the original group couldn't recreate the magic for the sequels, I doubt Shawn Ryan can do it.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #262
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

It's a double-edged sword. It's easier to make a great limited-run series when you know you have an ending. It's impossible when you don't know.

For all it's flaws, the traditional season format of TV shows has the best payoff when it works. If a show's great, you want it to keep going and grow organically. When you have an intended 8- or 13-episode series you know is ending, it seems hard to come back and do season two well.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 01-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #263
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Have you been watching/catching up?
Not yet. Hope to knock it out in the next few days.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #264
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They better not have killed the group dynamic on New Girl last night.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #265
Radii
Head Coach

DVR'ing The Americans tonight on FX. I haven't read anything about it yet, just seeing commercials for it while watching Justified has me curious enough to check it out.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #266
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Good to see BJ Novak on Mindy last night. Last night was the first new episode after they purged some of the cast that wasn't working.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #267
Critch
lolzcat

I've watched the first two episodes of The Following and enjoyed it so far, two good episodes. A little doubtful they can keep up the pace for a full season, but I guess I'll have to wait to find out.

Next up for me is The Americans, dvr set and waiting.

Last edited by Critch : 01-30-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #268
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The following is only going to be a 15 week serialized show each season. I'm excited for the potential of this going forward.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #269
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
DVR'ing The Americans tonight on FX. I haven't read anything about it yet, just seeing commercials for it while watching Justified has me curious enough to check it out.

ditto.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #270
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
They better not have killed the group dynamic on New Girl last night.

It seems like they've been heading towards that for a long time, the show has been damn good consistently since halfway through the first season, so I'm pretty hopeful that they know what they're doing here.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #271
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm in on the Americans, totally great pilot. I hope that there isn't some backlash because our "heroes" are KGB killers.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #272
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm in on the Americans, totally great pilot. I hope that there isn't some backlash because our "heroes" are KGB killers.

I'm with you, thought it was very good. Also liked that they didnt go for the "these guys are evil!" theme, so far the main characters have been fairly human.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #273
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I ended up watching "The Americans" as well last night. I thought it was decent. I will give it a shot.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #274
mckerney
Coordinator

Does this thread work for internet TV and is anyone going to be watching House of Cards?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #275
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm gonna check it out for sure.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #276
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm gonna check it out for sure.

Yeah, me too for sure.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #277
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Now that others have seen the Americans, I really felt like the garage scene at the end was really bad writing. I'm hoping that was more of a factor of it being a pilot type scene vs the rest of the show. Keri Russell will hopefully knock her role out of the park.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #278
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Does this thread work for internet TV and is anyone going to be watching House of Cards?
I was about to ask the same thing. I'm planning to check it out; early reviews are positive and I'm a longtime Kevin Spacey fan. I probably won't start watching this week but it will be interesting to see if this causes a strain on their servers.

Interesting to see if this works. Netflix paid more than $4 million an episode for 26 episodes. The first 13-episode season debuts all at once tomorrow, the second season is set for 2014. Seems like an expensive risk.

But if this and new Arrested Development episodes coming later this year work, it could be a big paradigm shift in viewing. What would be next? Cable providers buying shows exclusively for their viewers, akin to the Friday Night Lights deal?

Last edited by kcchief19 : 01-31-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #279
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think that we could see a ton of movies get the short season adaptation.
Movie shows off the top of my head that would work.
-Road House
-Days of Thunder
-Cruel Intentions(irony)
-Good Will Hunting
And about 50000 other properties.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #280
DanGarion
Coordinator

Really enjoyed The Americans!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #281
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Person of Interest is pretty much the only show on that I am actually disappointed when a rerun is on. The show is just awesome.

The ending last night... just awesome.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #282
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I was about to ask the same thing. I'm planning to check it out; early reviews are positive and I'm a longtime Kevin Spacey fan. I probably won't start watching this week but it will be interesting to see if this causes a strain on their servers.

Interesting to see if this works. Netflix paid more than $4 million an episode for 26 episodes. The first 13-episode season debuts all at once tomorrow, the second season is set for 2014. Seems like an expensive risk.

But if this and new Arrested Development episodes coming later this year work, it could be a big paradigm shift in viewing. What would be next? Cable providers buying shows exclusively for their viewers, akin to the Friday Night Lights deal?

Wait, so all 13 episodes are available today?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #283
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Should be.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #284
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Yup - all are available now, just like AD will be doing in May. I look forward to checking this out.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #285
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The Americans got some great numbers for a cable premiere. Between that and being on FX, it's now one you can jump in to without fear of it being prematurely canceled.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ouch. A 0.9 A18-49 premiere for NBC's Do No Harm. The link notes that The Paul Reiser Show was cancelled after two episodes when pulling a 1.1 in spring 2011.

Could we see a one-and-done?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...t-poll/167605/
Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #287
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Person of Interest is pretty much the only show on that I am actually disappointed when a rerun is on. The show is just awesome.

The ending last night... just awesome.

So we are to believe that finch originally set up john and the girl in order to eliminate the computer bug that could destroy the machine?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #288
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Ouch. A 0.9 A18-49 premiere for NBC's Do No Harm. The link notes that The Paul Reiser Show was cancelled after two episodes when pulling a 1.1 in spring 2011.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...t-poll/167605/

Well, even thought they advertised the heck out of it, it looked really, really stupid.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #289
cougarfreak
College Starter

Watched the 2nd episode of the following today, I thought it was quite good. Also watched "The Americans" last night on the DVR, I will be following that for sure as well. House of Cards looks like it's right up my alley as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #290
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I have Do No Harm on my DVR - maybe I will wait to check it out to see if it lasts another week...
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #291
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

‘Do No Harm’ Premiere Flops, How Many More Weeks Will It Last? (Poll) - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

I dvr'd but will hold off now. Meanwhile Bette White somehow pulls in close to a 2 on occasion.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #292
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I dvr'd but will hold off now. Meanwhile Bette White somehow pulls in close to a 2 on occasion.

You made me curious, so I looked. That 0.9 in the demo was worse than
Suits on USA, Archer on FX, and Buckwild on MTV. And only .1 better than King of the Nerds on TBS and Beyond Scared Straight on A&E. *just among shows in the same timeslot

On total viewers (3.12m) it would have been 3rd on cable last night, behind Suits and the 8p NCIS rerun on USA.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-01-2013 at 06:05 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #293
mckerney
Coordinator

I thought the split personality thing was already attempted with My Own Worst Enemy and failed miserably. Did they really think changing the lead from a spy to a doctor would make it work?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #294
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought the split personality thing was already attempted with My Own Worst Enemy and failed miserably. Did they really think changing the lead from a spy to a doctor would make it work?

This is NBC we're talking about...they think anything will work.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #295
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Am I the only one who likes Suits? For a USA show, it doesn't come across as a USA show.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #296
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For a USA show, it doesn't come across as a USA show.

I'm not so sure that's a good thing (at least not for my viewing tastes).
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #297
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

‘Do No Harm’ Premiere Flops, How Many More Weeks Will It Last? (Poll) - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers
And that's saying something ... I think the pilot for The Paul Reiser Show is without a doubt the worst television I've ever seen. I believe it followed an episode of Scrubs, and I was too lazy to grab the remote and caught the first few minutes. It was so unfunny I decided to watch it and see how long before it made me laugh. I got about 15 minutes in before I realized it wasn't going to happen.

The latest I read is that Do No Harm is the lowest rated scripted non-summer series debut in broadcast network history. The one-and-done is pretty rare ... how many times has it happened? I think it will get a second airing but I don't expect a recovery. As was discussed at the very beginning of the thread, NBC has a stockpile of replacement shows sitting around. Unfortunately they have so many bombs they may be running out.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
A The one-and-done is pretty rare ... how many times has it happened?

Here's a list (partial I imagine) of some of the fastest cancellations in TV history, compiled in 2009.

Excluding the ones that never actually aired at all & the ones that may not have been intended to be full series in the first place, there's the infamous Turn-On from 1969, Emily's Reasons Why Not from 2006 (after a premiere that drew nearly double the total viewers of this current turkey), and Dot Comedy from 2002, basically an unfunny YouTube highlight reel.

Oddly enough, all three shows were on ABC.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #299
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Am I the only one who likes Suits? For a USA show, it doesn't come across as a USA show.
I'm a fan. Psych, White Collar, Burn Notice and Suits are must-sees for me every week.

I think it's pretty much in-line with the USA formula -- smart, funny self-contained episodes with easy-to-pick-up short story arcs and one broader arc that gets brushed periodically until the occasional meltdown.

The USA show that doesn't come across as a USA show for me is Necessary Roughness. I slogged my way through season one but season two just got too much for me to take Callie Thorne really grates on my nerves. If they had swapped her and Sarah Shahi from Fairly Legally I'd probably have liked both shows better.

Covert Affairs was really good to start but seemed to lose some of its charm in season 3.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #300
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm kind of surprised The Mike O'Malley Show made it to episode 2.