Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2018, 06:35 AM   #251
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They wanted it in NYC and the Big East has MSG this week. It will be interesting to see if the two week rest effects B1G teams in any way.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #252
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Apparently the B1G wants roots on the East Coast now and expand to an even larger conference. I guess Im not sure what the big problem with Indianapolis or Chicago were other than being a more central location for all of the teams fans.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #253
muns
Pro Starter

Pitt finally gets rid of Stallings. He should have never gotten hired to begin with, but at least the program can move on now. What a crap show it has been.

Pittsburgh Panthers fire coach Kevin Stallings
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #254
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Apparently the B1G wants roots on the East Coast now and expand to an even larger conference. I guess Im not sure what the big problem with Indianapolis or Chicago were other than being a more central location for all of the teams fans.

I think you're making some big assumptions in that first sentence. They did this...and are seeking an East coast location once every 5 years...because there is a huge B1G alumni presence here and now they have an actual footprint as well. They won't be able to try to get MSG on the right weekend again until after 2026, but I'd expect them to try and outbid the Big East going forward. Either way, setting up the tournament in DC, Brooklyn, Newark, or even Philly once every 5 years is an easy sell with the two schools in easy driving distance plus the huge base of alumni.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #255
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They also want a bigger presence in the East Coast media markets. Local NYC sports coverage gave the B1G tournament much more air time than had it been in Indy or Chicago.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #256
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a disappointment game that was.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #257
tarcone
Coordinator

I bet Miaaou gets in just because Porter, Jr. is playing.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #258
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
What a disappointment game that was.

Yeah, that turned into a bit of a fizzle.

5-17 from the floor looks pretty bad for the returning one-and-doner ... but then I see how most of the rest of the team shot today & wonder if he really did much damage after all.

Chemistry is a funny thing though.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #259
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I bet Miaaou gets in just because Porter, Jr. is playing.

Mizzou was in anyway.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #260
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, that turned into a bit of a fizzle.

5-17 from the floor looks pretty bad for the returning one-and-doner ... but then I see how most of the rest of the team shot today & wonder if he really did much damage after all.

Chemistry is a funny thing though.

Their two best shooters minus MPJ were horrible. I think we were like 0-14 at one point today.

Good to get MPJ some playing time though.. hopefully some of the rust is gone.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:34 PM   #261
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

They want cable operators to pick up their network. Simple as that.

It sucks because both Chicago and Indianapolis were great spots for the tourney. So much alumni in both areas and made a great atmosphere.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #262
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

It sucks because both Chicago and Indianapolis were great spots for the tourney. So much alumni in both areas and made a great atmosphere.

And easy to get to for everyone.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #263
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Each of those cities will miss out on hosting the tourney once over a 10 year window with the change. Is it really that big of a deal?
Old 03-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #264
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think you're making some big assumptions in that first sentence. They did this...and are seeking an East coast location once every 5 years...because there is a huge B1G alumni presence here and now they have an actual footprint as well.
No Logan, it's really part of their secret plot to expand to 16 by adding UConn's imploding athletic program and... UMass? SUNY-Albany? Hofstra? Fordham? Temple?

I do think it sucks that the B1G & ACC both keep trying to expand to NYC & the northeast instead of keeping their central location and rewarding their loyal bases, but such is the thinking of big conferences. If only the northeastern schools could have foreseen this back in the 1990's and actually built a strong northeastern conference. C'est la vie.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #265
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Each of those cities will miss out on hosting the tourney once over a 10 year window with the change. Is it really that big of a deal?

Seems to be rather offensively stupid to most of the fan bases in the core territories, so, yeah in that sense it IS a big deal. (ACC country ain't thrilled about NYC either, SEC likewise doesn't seem overjoyed about St. Louis)

But hey, maybe the conferences will have to learn the lesson about ignoring their core constituencies same as folks like NASCAR have had to learn {shrug}
Old 03-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #266
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Seems to be rather offensively stupid to most of the fan bases in the core territories, so, yeah in that sense it IS a big deal. (ACC country ain't thrilled about NYC either, SEC likewise doesn't seem overjoyed about St. Louis)

But hey, maybe the conferences will have to learn the lesson about ignoring their core constituencies same as folks like NASCAR have had to learn {shrug}

Do you have to drink all that coffee because you're tired from being so overdramatic all the time?

Indy is a 5+ hour drive from Madison. Minnesota is 9 hours away. State College is 3 hours closer to NYC than to Indy, so forget about Chicago. The Michigan schools are 3-4 hours away.

You're making it sound like millions of people are losing the opportunity to go watch basketball in their backyard. It's 20K people trying to go to 7 sessions of basketball. Stop whining.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:10 AM   #267
Atocep
Coordinator

Grayson Allen is just misunderstood.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:55 AM   #268
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

It IS offensive to their core constituencies, and they should be offended! but they won't be. And even if they are it'll be a cold day in Alabama before anyone there decides to stop cheering for not only Alabama, but to ignore any state within an 8 hour drive.

Just like NASCAR they'll all slowly see it in declining views but never specifically tie it back to why. But they'll dominate the % of eyeballs watching college sports in their area while wondering why overall ratings/interest is down, so they'll blame Netflix etc instead of the destruction of regional rivalries.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-10-2018 at 01:04 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:13 AM   #269
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It IS offensive to their core constituencies, and they should be offended! but they won't be. And even if they are it'll be a cold day in Alabama before anyone there decides to stop cheering for not only Alabama, but to ignore any state within an 8 hour drive.

Just like NASCAR they'll all slowly see it in declining views but never specifically tie it back to why. But they'll dominate the % of eyeballs watching college sports in their area while wondering why overall ratings/interest is down, so they'll blame Netflix etc instead of the destruction of regional rivalries.

Except that, in this case, we're talking about basketball not football. It trails spring football in popularity/importance in most of the SEC markets. (Hell, I'm not entirely sure that baseball isn't more popular at Ole Miss, almost certainly is among the students. Gymnastics might be more appealing here in Athens depending upon the demographics).

The last thing pretty much any SEC program not named Kentucky needs (and I'm picking on them here just cause they're the conference probably in the most precarious situation where b'ball is concerned) is to lessen the appeal / interest / visibility ... and moving the conference tournament to the periphery of the footprint just doesn't seem to make a helluva lot of sense.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:17 AM   #270
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Stop whining.

Stop ignoring the critical nature of regional appeal for most conferences.

But you do you, keep fucking that chicken.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #271
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Kevin Ollie is out at UConn
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #272
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mark Fox reportedly out at Georgia.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #273
digamma
Torchbearer

We have an Ivy championship game tomorrow between #1 seed Harvard and #2 seed Penn at a neutral site which just happens to be Penn's home court.

And in a year where the Ivy League had 39% of its games decided by one possession, most by any conference in 16 years, both of the semifinals today were huge blowouts.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #274
MrBug708
Head Coach

Something about USC-Arizona fighting it out for the PAC-12 championship, showing all what's wrong about college basketball.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #275
MrBug708
Head Coach

Did Davidson knock out ASU or Notre Dame?
Old 03-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #276
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Kevin Ollie is out at UConn

Wow. Few years back he could have gotten an NBA gig.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #277
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The changes to the Selection Show is some of the most asinine shit I've seen in a while.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #278
bronconick
College Starter

Never thought they'd find something worse than the CBS version. Shows what I know.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Never thought they'd find something worse than the CBS version. Shows what I know.

Let's remove 90% of the drama, that'll work well don't ya think?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #280
MrBug708
Head Coach

Syracuse over SC....ahahahaha
Old 03-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #281
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So far we've gotten "Coach MIKE Pearl" and the "Buffalo BILLS"
Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #282
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Literally unwatchable.

"Heres a list of the 32 automatic bids, let me reel them off to start the show"
Old 03-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Did the lights just go out briefly in NY (?)
Old 03-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #284
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA-Florida isn't a thing. Let's get some new "storylines" guys
Old 03-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #285
digamma
Torchbearer

That was a giant F U to mid majors, huh?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Clemson - NM State
Auburn - Charleston

Would I dare pick a 12 & a 13 in the same pod?
Old 03-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #287
Atocep
Coordinator

Still basing seeding and selection off RPI.

Terrible
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #288
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

If they really over valued RPI then USC would be in I would think
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #289
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Still basing seeding and selection off RPI.
Terrible

If that was the thing, then we'd be seeing USC and Louisville and probably MTSU instead of Syracuse, OU, and even Florida.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #290
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you have to drink all that coffee because you're tired from being so overdramatic all the time?

Indy is a 5+ hour drive from Madison. Minnesota is 9 hours away. State College is 3 hours closer to NYC than to Indy, so forget about Chicago. The Michigan schools are 3-4 hours away.

You're making it sound like millions of people are losing the opportunity to go watch basketball in their backyard. It's 20K people trying to go to 7 sessions of basketball. Stop whining.

It's not just about the travel for the schools. It's also about the alumni. Alumni usually stick to the same region they went to school. So a city like Chicago is filled with alumni from almost every Big 10 school. So if you worked in the city you could take a Thursday off and watch your school play. For a lot of alums, it's the only chance they get to see their school.

Chicago made sense because it's the biggest city with the most varied alumni. I'm guessing Atlanta would be that city for the SEC. And Los Angeles would be that city for the PAC 12.

I won't knock it too hard because it did seem to draw some good crowds. And I guess they had to make Rutgers and Maryland feel part of the conference (it was stupid to add them anyway). But I can tell you buzz about it here (Big 10 country) was non-existent. Doesn't help that they played the previous tournament in DC.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #291
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
It's not just about the travel for the schools. It's also about the alumni. Alumni usually stick to the same region they went to school. So a city like Chicago is filled with alumni from almost every Big 10 school. So if you worked in the city you could take a Thursday off and watch your school play. For a lot of alums, it's the only chance they get to see their school.

Chicago made sense because it's the biggest city with the most varied alumni. I'm guessing Atlanta would be that city for the SEC. And Los Angeles would be that city for the PAC 12.

I won't knock it too hard because it did seem to draw some good crowds. And I guess they had to make Rutgers and Maryland feel part of the conference (it was stupid to add them anyway). But I can tell you buzz about it here (Big 10 country) was non-existent. Doesn't help that they played the previous tournament in DC.

Do you think the practice of people taking off work to catch midday sessions of conference tournaments is unique to Chicago? It happened here with the old Big East, it happened with the new Big East, and it happened here again for both the B1G and the Big East over the last week and a half.

I addressed the alumni concentrations in the previous post about the alumni too before Jon got all offended. And sure Chicago makes sense with the biggest alumni base. But NYC doesn't at #2? It surely makes more sense than Indianapolis which clocks in at #6 in one article I saw (behind both DC and Philly, BTW).

What's the level of Chicago buzz when the tournament is played 3 hours away from you half the time?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #292
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yep, adding Rutgers and Maryland increased revenues by 33% and $18 million from Cablevision alone:

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/9/1...-new-york-city
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #293
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Yep, adding Rutgers and Maryland increased revenues by 33% and $18 million from Cablevision alone:

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/9/1...-new-york-city

The financial impacts are so obvious they're not even worth discussing. I probably wrote it in the famous "Mizzou to the B1G" expansion thread four times. The BTN contract with cable providers said that they could charge something like $0.40/sub if they didn't have a school in the DMA, and $0.95/sub if they did. So the rates went up to millions of subscribers with the stroke of those schools signing on. Adding Rutgers and Maryland was a guaranteed financial windfall for the conference even without adding a single new subscriber.

Last edited by Logan : 03-12-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #294
Thomkal
Head Coach

Radford wins the first play-in game. Woot! Big South power!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #295
MrBug708
Head Coach

Damn you Steve Alford

Last edited by MrBug708 : 03-13-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #296
Butter
Coordinator

This Boise camera angle is the worst.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #297
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
How did that Rhode Island putback at the buzzer not go in?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
How did that Rhode Island putback at the buzzer not go in?

Buffalo Wild Wings.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #299
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
This Boise camera angle is the worst.

Just saw that. Holy hell, that's unwatchable.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #300
korme
Go Reds

Poor Wright St
korme is offline   Reply With Quote