Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2005, 06:45 AM   #251
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Errr......must resist getting this game until the weekend.

I even have this week off! Fucking school!
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:13 AM   #252
bob
College Starter

Did I read somewhere that in the RFTH mode you don't do the recruiting? If so, does the AI do a reasonable job of doing it?

I hate doing recruiting, so this game might be interesting to me if this is the case.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:49 AM   #253
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Got the game yesterday, after we got back from a 2 day family vacation.

I am seeing huge differences between this and 2005. It seems like the fun is back. After reading countless threads about how "this and that" is too easy, I think I'm liking that I'm a 36 year old who just doesn't have 48 hours a day to play this game - because I kinda stink and it therefore makes a victory that much more gratifying.

I'm waiting to receive my rosters before I begin a real dynasty with Maryland, so I decided to exercise the gaskets by playing a few "Play Now" games with them. My first was against Akron (8 min quarters, AA skill level, no other changes). My passing was mediocre (about 50%), but that's much better than last year when I had issues trying to get my QBs to 30%. I always focus on running the ball (though I apparently don't have the skills others do when it comes to this aspect of the game). I broke off an 80 yard run, but I was pretty much contained the rest of the game. We finally settled for a 21-3 victory. After the game, I noticed the offenses ran about 100 plays, so I'm thinking of bumping up the quarters to 9 minutes.

I then started hacking around to see if my defense was up to snuff against the rest of the NCAA, or was it merely Akron's offense that I was good against. So...I played a series of quarters or halves against other teams. Against Notre Dame, I was down 42-0 at halftime (OMG). They went up 14-0 on me and I fumbled the ensuing kickoff on the 3. It went from 7-0 to 21-0 in about 10 seconds . I could run nothing offensively - I have a trademark anemic offense, but that was ridiculous. Against Missouri, I was down 10-7 at halftime and I was obviously very much into the game.

As opposed to others, I'm not finding running the ball too easy. Kickoffs and punts you can sometimes see a seam to run through, but it depends a lot on the competition as well as my piss-poor controller skills. Overall, I'm loving the game and can't wait to start a dynasty when the rosters come in.

One thing I think is absolutely great: When you're playing a team that is light years above you when it comes to talent, you know you're going to have a huge struggle. But...the game FEELS like it as well. Hard to describe - but when I receive that first kickoff, and my team heads to the line of scrimmage, I'm thinking: "Ok, let's play within ourselves...no turnovers...let's try and stay close and who knows what might happen." On defense I'm thinking, "Bend but don't break, let's concentrate on not giving up the big play, let's hope for a turnover." If you try to match up against the superior teams, you'll quickly see the game fall apart. After giving up a big score, I almost have to pause it to think, "Ok guys...we're getting away from the gameplan, let's reel ourselves back in - there's plenty of time left, don't give up."

I know, lame. But it really feels like college football this way.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:52 AM   #254
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
One thing I think is absolutely great: When you're playing a team that is light years above you when it comes to talent, you know you're going to have a huge struggle. But...the game FEELS like it as well. Hard to describe - but when I receive that first kickoff, and my team heads to the line of scrimmage, I'm thinking: "Ok, let's play within ourselves...no turnovers...let's try and stay close and who knows what might happen." On defense I'm thinking, "Bend but don't break, let's concentrate on not giving up the big play, let's hope for a turnover." If you try to match up against the superior teams, you'll quickly see the game fall apart. After giving up a big score, I almost have to pause it to think, "Ok guys...we're getting away from the gameplan, let's reel ourselves back in - there's plenty of time left, don't give up."

I know EXACTLY how you feel... but somehow against teams like that, I always get away from my gameplan.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #255
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I know EXACTLY how you feel... but somehow against teams like that, I always get away from my gameplan.

I do too. Well said, Craig

Well, I don't know how you feel in my dynasty games. However, yesterday, I tried one game with a lower ranked team - Rutgers. I wanted to make sure that the game wasn't too easy and that I was only winning because USC is SO good. Sure enough, I got away from my game plan and Rutgers was dominated by FSU. It was 63-7 at the end of the game and I felt like I worked hard for my lone TD.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #256
RailsFS
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Same here. Just lost to Kansas State in my dynasty (as FIU) 17-14. They got a last second field goal, because not only did I break my gameplan on offense, but also on defense ::ugh:: It was one of those games I wanted to pull my hair out.

Ahhhh, this is the most fun I've had on NCAA in years.....
RailsFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:18 AM   #257
TroyF
Coordinator

I can't wait until I get home tonight. I'll take the Buffs to Miami to play the Hurricane. I'm already thinking of ways I can try to keep the game close. Something tells me the game will be over after quarter one though.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #258
mhass
High School Varsity

Speaking of upsets, Arkansas beat USC in my dynasty last night (I'm neither team). Threw the polls for quite a loop. Very cool.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #259
jbmagic
Pro Starter

what makes this game great is their over 100 teams in this game.

you can make the game challenging or easy depending what team you start off with.

i think so far NCAA 2006 has an edge over Madden 2005 because of the lack of running game by the cpu teams in Madden 2005.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #260
JeeberD
General Manager

DVDPlanet STILL shows the game as not being shipped yet!!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #261
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm sitting here at work dreaming of more ways to get Reggie Bush the ball. Last night, I used him to lethal effect in the slot and I'm thinking up some new ideas now. I love the substitution packages.

Also, this is the first time I've ever wanted to export a graduation class to Madden. Unfortunately, he'll probably be drafted long before my Eagles pick. Of course, I'm still hoping I can convince Bush to come back for a Senior year, but that seems highly unlikely.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #262
bronconick
College Starter

Mizzou- You mentioned some key recruits are coming to watch your game vs. Texas. Is there some screen I'm missing that tells you when the recruits are coming and thus, when I can pitch to them? What's been happening to me is I finish a game, advance the week, look at the recruiting screen and it's like "He enjoyed his trip last week." How am I gonna get these kids keg parties and hookers if I don't know when they show up?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #263
mrsimperless
College Prospect

When a recruit's interest gets high enough you'll have the option to schedule a visit for him. You do this by going to the recruit's info screen then you will see that you can click the right analog stick (on xbox) to schedule a visit. Another screen will pop-up that lists all of your home games. You just pick the desired game from the list. It appears you can reschedule them as well. (Might be useful if a key player gets injured or suspended prior to the game.)
Old 07-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #264
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
Mizzou- You mentioned some key recruits are coming to watch your game vs. Texas. Is there some screen I'm missing that tells you when the recruits are coming and thus, when I can pitch to them? What's been happening to me is I finish a game, advance the week, look at the recruiting screen and it's like "He enjoyed his trip last week." How am I gonna get these kids keg parties and hookers if I don't know when they show up?
I check my inseason recruiting screen each week, which is essential. However, what will happen is if you get down to the top 3 schools (this happened for 2 of my recruits in week 6,) you can click on them and schedule a visit. I chose to schedule my weaker recruit for Arizona, and my better recruit for Stanford I forget my schedule, but I think I host ND this year, and if so, I'm going to put my best recruit there if I make the final 3.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-13-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #265
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I'm trying to figure out if it's better to schedule a recruit for a cupcake so you can surely win, or for a high profile team. Obviously if you win both games the high profile team would reflect better. But I wonder if he'd rather see us beating a weaker team or losing to a Notre Dame?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:45 AM   #266
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I check my inseason recruiting screen each week, which is essential. However, what will happen is if you get down to the top 3 schools (this happened for 2 of my recruits in week 6,) you can click on them and schedule a visit. I chose to schedule my weaker recruit for Arizona, and my better recruit for Stanford I forget my schedule, but I think I host ND this year, and if so, I'm going to put my best recruit there if I make the final 3.

Ah. None of them are down to 3 schools yet.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #267
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless
I'm trying to figure out if it's better to schedule a recruit for a cupcake so you can surely win, or for a high profile team. Obviously if you win both games the high profile team would reflect better. But I wonder if he'd rather see us beating a weaker team or losing to a Notre Dame?

That is the interesting question. Surely, a win against a higher profile team is better than a win against a low profile team. However, is a close loss against a top team better than a win against a weak team? I don't know, but I don't plan on losing to Notre Dame or anyone else this year. However, when I eventually get bored with my USC dynasty and start with a challenging team (probably Rutgers) this will be a vital question.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:49 AM   #268
bronconick
College Starter

While I'm at it, I skipped buying 2005 (a good move from all reports) so this discipline thing is new for me as well. Is anything that comes up going to be on the Program Standards page? I somehow have gone 6 weeks without anything coming up at Florida State.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:55 AM   #269
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
While I'm at it, I skipped buying 2005 (a good move from all reports) so this discipline thing is new for me as well. Is anything that comes up going to be on the Program Standards page? I somehow have gone 6 weeks without anything coming up at Florida State.

Yeah, that's the page. Just make sure you check it every week, especially if you ahve assistance turned off. The NCAA doesn't really like it when you look the other way, especially on major violations. And I've heard that this year is imporved, but in 2005 once you got a good amount of NCAA interest it was all but impossible to get it lowered back down again.

And I never understood the idea of discipline points either. If my entire team needs to be suspended I should be able to suspend them regardless of my "discipline points". Oh well, I guess they had to make a game out of it somehow.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:57 AM   #270
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You see, there is another huge bug. There is no way FSU goes six weeks without someone getting in trouble.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:58 AM   #271
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Don't know about the program standards page, but I get hit a lot with these disciplinary things. They seem to happen more often than in real life (depending on the program - ha!), but I see them as a way to counterbalance the advantage the human has over the CPU in recruiting and other aspects of the game.
how do you know?

Old 07-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #272
mhass
High School Varsity

I was experimenting with an Iowa dynasty and had Drew Tate get in trouble the first two weeks for minor things. I set his suspension to 1 quarter both times despite the default being 2 or 3 quarters. Then in week 3 he cheats on a test and whamo, nine games or the NCAA shows up. My advice: be tough up front.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:06 AM   #273
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
I was experimenting with an Iowa dynasty and had Drew Tate get in trouble the first two weeks for minor things. I set his suspension to 1 quarter both times despite the default being 2 or 3 quarters. Then in week 3 he cheats on a test and whamo, nine games or the NCAA shows up. My advice: be tough up front.

He is in the running for the Heisman in my game. I guess he has kept his nose clean.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #274
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I have my first in-season recruit coming to visit week 5 vs. Wyoming. I'm fired up for the game!

Has anyone else noticed that there are hardly ANY 5-star recruits now it seems? I didn't see one quarterback (of the in-season recruits) who is ranked at 5-star. 4-star is as high as they go in my season. Although I did see some 5-star players at other positions. I'll have to go back and see exactly how many total 5-star recruits there are right now.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:40 PM   #275
mhass
High School Varsity

Also, your "pipeline" is more than one state which I believe is new (and a big plus IMO).

Old 07-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #276
jbmagic
Pro Starter

what position you guys controlling on defense?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:00 PM   #277
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
what position you guys controlling on defense?

I tend to go with a linebacker that's either blitzing, or dropping off into zone. I don't trust myself to be able to cover guys man to man yet.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #278
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
Also, your "pipeline" is more than one state which I believe is new (and a big plus IMO).

3 states, I believe. And they tell you which ones now (I don't think they did before, did they?). I'm AZ, and the pipeline states are CA, AZ, and TX.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #279
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I usually control either a DE or the MLB.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #280
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:

Same here. Though the stats of those players are far worse when I control them than when the computer does.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:17 PM   #281
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

do you switch off to another position or let the computer handle the rest of the postions when the ball is snap?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #282
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I usually play as a SS or sometimes FS. And when I'm on defense I like the overhead view so that I can see the pass routes developing. Also, I like to shelter myself by making sure I don't have a deep zone somewhere as I tend to blow coverage. So I'll ply under on a three or play a "robber" role usually.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #283
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Dola. I love the fact that you can move the safeties up to the line this year! They added a lot of the pre-snap defensive controls from Madden 2005 which is awesome. Blitzing a weak side LB works quite well.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #284
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
do you switch off to another position or let the computer handle the rest of the postions when the ball is snap?

I let the Computer control the other positions. I always mess things up if I try to switch at the last second.

Occasionally, I'll try to play FS at the start of the play, but that is rare (usually only after we have a good lead.)
Old 07-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #285
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i tend to mess myself up on zone plays if i control a DE or MLB. i have a habit to try to blitz him when that play shows that player suppose to be in a certain area for the zone.

i think i blow coverage doing that. no patience.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:37 PM   #286
korme
Go Reds

If it is a deep pass, I will switch to the corner as I feel I am good at deflecting/defending that.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #287
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I control Harrington, my MLB all the time.

After keeping the game close with Texas for the first half (14-13 Texas), the second half was all Longhorns as I lose 42-19. Nice...
Old 07-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #288
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
If it is a deep pass, I will switch to the corner as I feel I am good at deflecting/defending that.

These and lob passes. If they fire the ball in there, and I switch, I usually leave the guy wide open and he runs for about 50 yards.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:45 PM   #289
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless
Dola. I love the fact that you can move the safeties up to the line this year! They added a lot of the pre-snap defensive controls from Madden 2005 which is awesome. Blitzing a weak side LB works quite well.

How? Same ol coverage audible?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #290
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Generally, I find the player I control spazzes out and runs in circles. At the same time, physically I am scrunching up my toes and leaning backwards as I feel that helps me make the play.

Seriously, I suck at defense...if I can make 4 tackles a game with my controlled player I consider it a small victory.
how do you know?

Old 07-13-2005, 06:39 PM   #291
CraigSca
Pro Starter

dola - so....where are the NCAA 2006 dynasties, people?! I'd start mine, but I still have a little over a week to go before I receive my rosters.
how do you know?

Old 07-13-2005, 06:56 PM   #292
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've thought about doing a dynasty, but keep balking for some reason. However, here is a little fun fact I just realized at halftime of a game...

My starting TE Byrd who is a great TE in his own right was injured. I just discovered that my Backup TE, Fred Davis, has 91 speed! He also has 84 hands. The amount of weapons I have is amazing. Of course, quite a few of them will likely go pro after this year

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-13-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:02 PM   #293
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
dola - so....where are the NCAA 2006 dynasties, people?! I'd start mine, but I still have a little over a week to go before I receive my rosters.

Console game dynasties are so hard because you have to type everything, instead of copying and pasting.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:05 PM   #294
bronconick
College Starter

I just started FSU vs. Virginia, and instead of Antonio Cromartie, AJ Nicholson is an impact player. This happen to anyone else?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #295
RailsFS
Mascot

Hmm, I guess I'm the only one that controls DTs at the snap. I find that it is hard(er) to screw up enough to really affect the play, plus I think you can make your share of big plays there.
RailsFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #296
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailsFS
Hmm, I guess I'm the only one that controls DTs at the snap. I find that it is hard(er) to screw up enough to really affect the play, plus I think you can make your share of big plays there.

I do that I usually pull the LB out of coverage when I use him or lose the WR I'm supposed to cover as a DB
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #297
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
How? Same ol coverage audible?

I'm guessing you're asking about the safeties here, right? It you hit 'Y' (on xbox) and then down it changes to bump and coverage as it has done for a while now. If you do it twice, then not only will you be in bump and run, but both safeties will move up towards the line of scrimmage. You can also adjust some other things as well. From the manual:

Quote:
COVERAGE AUDIBLES
If you're content with the front seven but would like to adjust only the secondary, call a coverage audible by pressing Y.
- After a coverage audible has been called, press up/down for loose/tight coverage. (Press down twice to bring the safeties up close to the line.)
- To play a 1 Deep, 2 Deep, 3 Deep, or 4 Deep Zone, pull and hold L or R, or press white or black respectively.
- For a man shift, press A; for Cover 2 Man, press X.
- To Man Up the receivers, press Y then A; pressing Y then moving R left or right when playing zone coverage shfts the safeties to the left or right.

Some of this stuff I haven't messed with yet (changes 1 Deep, 2 Deep etc) and some of it I have no idea what it even means. (man shift)
This is very similar to MAdden 2005, but not all of it works the same way. For example, shifting the safeties left or right doesn't physically move them on the screen as it does in Madden. (too bad) It just shifts their zone responsibilites which you can see with the coach cam.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:16 PM   #298
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I also just noticed that we get the audibles / hot routes for receivers to slant this year and for backs and tight ends to run block. And the best news?

Quote:
If a run play is called, press digital left / digital right in the opposite direction the run play is intended to flip it without flipping the formation.

Woohoo!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #299
korme
Go Reds

Tackling is much easier if you just speed burst into the player, instead of trying to dive.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:18 PM   #300
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
My starting TE Byrd who is a great TE in his own right was injured. I just discovered that my Backup TE, Fred Davis, has 91 speed! He also has 84 hands. The amount of weapons I have is amazing. Of course, quite a few of them will likely go pro after this year

Fred Davis was one of the best WR to ever come out of Ohio, he was a freak...USC has since converted him to TE.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote