Originally Posted by Galaxy
Failed to login I am getting.

Yoda?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:25 PM   #252
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Couple of random things that irk me with the interface.

When you mouse over the buttons at the top right (advisors) the text indicating what they do appears in the lower left. Seems like it should appear near the button so you don't have to look on the opposite end of the screen. Pretty minor as I'm sure you'll memorize the shortcuts but still weird.
Yes! I noticed this in the first five minutes of the game. Drove me nuts for a bit. Felt like I was watching tennis. Top right, bottom left, my eyes were going crazy.

I thought about mentioning it in my initial impressions, but I figured I would be the only one looney enough to notice it.

It does get better quickly though. As you mention, you don't need the info help after an hour or two.

Quote:
When I have multiple cities produce items on the same turn, the "what do you want to produce next" screen pops up. If I hit examine city, then enter after examining ... it jumps to the next city. I would think that it would exit back to the screen where I can decide what to produce (I know I'm explaining this poorly). I mean you should be able to examine city and then set production, not examine city jump to next city, have to click back on first city and set production. Anyone else having this issue, or am I just hitting the wrong keys?
Yes. The city one doesn't bother me much because I generally make the choice from within the city, but the one that gets me is the "what do you want to research next?" offer. If you click "Let me see the big picture..." you can see the research tree. Exit from the tree and it takes you to your first city building option. Seems like it should take you back to the research choice. One thing that just struck me, though, is that perhaps you can make your research choice from within the research tree.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 10-31-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:36 PM   #253
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
One thing that just struck me, though, is that perhaps you can make your research choice from within the research tree.

Yes, you can. Just click on the tech.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:54 PM   #254
twothree
College Prospect

Well, I finally finished my first complete game on Noble difficulty over the weekend. I won a space race victory in 2007 after an in game time of thirteen and one half hours, with a good chunk of that time spent reading the in game civilopedia. I previously had played through the tutorial and then played a few turns on Settler difficulty to get use to the UI.

I started with a random civ (Egyptian) on a standard size continent map. Looking at the Egyptian's traits of Spiritual and Creative, I decided to try for a culture victory. I quickly ran into my two continental neighbors the Chinese and Japanese. I used my settlers to place cities to fence them in and claimed the majority of our continent. I end up building 13 cities. And 2 Chinese cities ended up culture flipping to my side for a total of 15 cities at game end.

I had almost no contact with the remaing 4 civs until the middle to end game. An interesting part of the game was that no one on our continent founded any religions; until, I was the first to discover Divine Right and founded Islam, the very last religion available. Islam easily became the state religion for all 3 civs on our continent and I made quite a bit of money from that.

I never was at war with any other nation, my plan. And, was second in technology for most of the game, behind Gandhi, who I later found out had a continent all to himself. During the later half of the middle of the game, I decide it would be impossible to win a culture victory the way I was playing. So, I ended up in a tech race with Gandhi until end game. My top 3 cities ended up with about 25,000 culture each and you need 50,000 in 3 cities to win by culture.

While playing my game, I observed one very interesting fact, which may or may not be a bug. If your settler builds a city on almost any type of terrain WITHOUT a resource on it, the citizen who automatically works the middle square with the city in it produces exactly 2 food, 1 production, and 1 commerce. The exception: build a city on a hills/plains square. The citizen who works this city square produces exactly 2 food, 2 production, and 1 commerce. One extra production plus a +25% defence for the city from the hill. Again, this could be a bug, but if it isn't then you should almost always choose to build your cities on a hills/plains if you can, especially in the early game.

A grassland, plains, desert, snow, tundra, hills/grassland, hills/tundra, hills/snow, etc. only yields 2/1/1 when a settler builds a city on it, and that is with or without a river next to it. Also, if you build a city on a square with a resource on it, this does not apply, and your middle city square may yield something besides 2/1/1. I had one city built on a resource that had a yield of 2/1/2 from it's center square.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:59 PM   #255
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

twothree: Congrats on your win!

Great tips on the city building. That will come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Yes, you can. Just click on the tech.
Aha! Thanks!

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 10-31-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:26 PM   #256
fflix
Mascot

In the city screen, is there an easy way to determine which tiles are being worked on by citizens? I didn't really notice a difference besides the icons getting a little bigger. In SMAC this was clear because the resources generated wouldn't show up until a citzen was working the tile. In Civ4 it seems like the resources are showing up in the city screen for every tile.
fflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:28 PM   #257
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflix
In the city screen, is there an easy way to determine which tiles are being worked on by citizens? I didn't really notice a difference besides the icons getting a little bigger. In SMAC this was clear because the resources generated wouldn't show up until a citzen was working the tile. In Civ4 it seems like the resources are showing up in the city screen for every tile.

They're circled. Look for the white circles. You can click on them to remove a circle/worked tile and click on an empty tile to work a new tile.

Last edited by moriarty : 10-31-2005 at 01:45 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #258
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
There's a white circle around resources that are being worked.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:56 PM   #259
fflix
Mascot

Quote:
They're circled. Look for the white circles. You can click on them to remove a circle/worked tile and click on an empty tile to work a new tile.

thanks
fflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:08 PM   #260
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have a hard time saving a game and coming back to play it later. So, I usually research some where close to gunpowder, then quit. When it is time to play again, I start over. I dunno why.

Anyway, I fired up a game last night that I am forced my self to play through. I was running away with the game score wise. I have 2500ish and 2nd was around 1600ish. I am firing along trying to research quickly so that I can get a space victory and Julius Cesear wasn't happy with me and declared war.

Well, I wasn't prepared. He comes in with his elephants wiping out all of my tile improvements, destroying my infrastructure. Having not built many military units, I'm at a huge disadvantage. With him taking out my infrastruture, I can't build units quick enough and soon I'm down to 2 cities from 8.

I'm able to hold him off for about 10 turns trying to save my neck, but he had one last rush planned and slaughtered both of my cities on one turn.

This game was with 5 civs. Persians and the Mongolians had a continent to themselves.

One of my big problems is I play too fast. I can never get to the next turn quick enough. My other problem is I don't like to be defensive. If there is a war, I have to be the aggressor or I don't like playing.

This is definitely a better game than III, though. I like many of the changes.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 10-31-2005 at 02:09 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:39 PM   #261
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

For each of the leaders, there is a favorite civic. I haven't read anything that discusses what that means - is there a bonus to using that civic, or a penalty for using a competing civic? I'm trying to decide what country to choose and what leader, but I don't really udnerstand what the "favorite civic" adds to game play, if anything.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:42 PM   #262
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

If you use the same civics as another civ you can get + points in your relationship with them. They will say something along the lines of "You have chosen your civics wisely". Same with religion.

So if you really want to kiss ass align your religion and civics to be the same as your target and open up some trading with them.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:55 PM   #263
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
If you use the same civics as another civ you can get + points in your relationship with them. They will say something along the lines of "You have chosen your civics wisely". Same with religion.

So if you really want to kiss ass align your religion and civics to be the same as your target and open up some trading with them.

Yep. And slowly build up your military and bide time. Gift the neighbor a tech or two. Trade for a tech or two that he has. Make sure to trade maps.

Then you stack three or four sets of units, get your boats into positions, ask for his head on a pole.

Oh, one other note. Pray that he hasn't done the same to you and isn't ready and waiting with a third alliance you hadn't considered. I'll never trust that Japanese guy again.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:58 PM   #264
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree
Well, I finally finished my first complete game on Noble difficulty over the weekend. I won a space race victory in 2007 after an in game time of thirteen and one half hours, with a good chunk of that time spent reading the in game civilopedia. I previously had played through the tutorial and then played a few turns on Settler difficulty to get use to the UI.

I started with a random civ (Egyptian) on a standard size continent map. Looking at the Egyptian's traits of Spiritual and Creative, I decided to try for a culture victory. I quickly ran into my two continental neighbors the Chinese and Japanese. I used my settlers to place cities to fence them in and claimed the majority of our continent. I end up building 13 cities. And 2 Chinese cities ended up culture flipping to my side for a total of 15 cities at game end.

I had almost no contact with the remaing 4 civs until the middle to end game. An interesting part of the game was that no one on our continent founded any religions; until, I was the first to discover Divine Right and founded Islam, the very last religion available. Islam easily became the state religion for all 3 civs on our continent and I made quite a bit of money from that.

I never was at war with any other nation, my plan. And, was second in technology for most of the game, behind Gandhi, who I later found out had a continent all to himself. During the later half of the middle of the game, I decide it would be impossible to win a culture victory the way I was playing. So, I ended up in a tech race with Gandhi until end game. My top 3 cities ended up with about 25,000 culture each and you need 50,000 in 3 cities to win by culture.

While playing my game, I observed one very interesting fact, which may or may not be a bug. If your settler builds a city on almost any type of terrain WITHOUT a resource on it, the citizen who automatically works the middle square with the city in it produces exactly 2 food, 1 production, and 1 commerce. The exception: build a city on a hills/plains square. The citizen who works this city square produces exactly 2 food, 2 production, and 1 commerce. One extra production plus a +25% defence for the city from the hill. Again, this could be a bug, but if it isn't then you should almost always choose to build your cities on a hills/plains if you can, especially in the early game.

A grassland, plains, desert, snow, tundra, hills/grassland, hills/tundra, hills/snow, etc. only yields 2/1/1 when a settler builds a city on it, and that is with or without a river next to it. Also, if you build a city on a square with a resource on it, this does not apply, and your middle city square may yield something besides 2/1/1. I had one city built on a resource that had a yield of 2/1/2 from it's center square.

Nice...How do you profit off religion?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #265
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Yoda?

What?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:12 PM   #266
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

If you build a shrine (see Great prophets) you get 1 gp per turn for every city with that religion. I think.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #267
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
If you build a shrine (see Great prophets) you get 1 gp per turn for every city with that religion. I think.

In your cities, or all the cities in the world that have that religion?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:16 PM   #268
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

All in the WORLD. But you must have a Holy City to create the shrine.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:17 PM   #269
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

I don't have the manual in front of me, but I believe all the cities (yours + other Civs that have adopted the religion). Plus the added bonus of the other civs that have adopted the religion are friendlier to you.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:18 PM   #270
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
It is also a tool to spy on another civ as well as sending missionaries to convert the masses. If another Civ is your religion, it is a bonus during negotiation time.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:00 PM   #271
spleen1015
Coordinator

Do you guys always trade Open Borders? I never want to because I don't want the AI going through me to take land.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 10-31-2005 at 04:00 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:01 PM   #272
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
Do you guys always trade Open Borders? I never want to because I don't want the AI going through me take land.

By order of Emperor Nielsen, no foreigner is permitted to set foot in our lands. Ever.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:05 PM   #273
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
By order of Emperor Nielsen, no foreigner is permitted to set foot in our lands. Ever.

Not even in a military stragetic move?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:10 PM   #274
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
Do you guys always trade Open Borders? I never want to because I don't want the AI going through me to take land.

I believe you need open borders to establish foreign trade routes, it also gives you a + relationship bump. So there are positives and negatives to it.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-31-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:36 PM   #275
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

what I don't like is the way it recommends which tech to research, which units to produce, where to build cities, etc. It ends up being a thoughtless exercise in clicking buttons. Is there any way to turn the recommendations off?
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:37 PM   #276
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Sid's tips and/or advisor popups under options? Haven't tried it.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:43 PM   #277
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
what I don't like is the way it recommends which tech to research, which units to produce, where to build cities, etc. It ends up being a thoughtless exercise in clicking buttons. Is there any way to turn the recommendations off?
In Civ 3, I didn't always agree with the build recommendations (so sometimes I would go along, sometimes I would override), but I still liked having them because they would generally tend to keep my military more build-up than if I were left to my own devices.

Then again, the last time I played SMAC, the degree of automation largely reduced my input to placing cities and fighting wars, and I wasn't really comfortable with that. Maybe it would have been better if I were more familiar with the city improvements, though.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 10-31-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:44 PM   #278
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Not even in a military stragetic move?

You see, the Holy German Empire (I've decided I liked them better than Rome's Exp/Org traits) does not require such ridiculous measures. We have our own version of Open Borders, one which is "opened" by a round of cannon fire, and then "closed" again once our Holy Troops Guided By The Light of Confucius have raised the flag of the Fatherland on opposing cities.

That's how we open borders in Germany.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #279
Fouts
College Starter

Finally completed a full game of Civ4 couple nights ago. I came in 3rd out of 10, but the really interesting thing was how the United Nations was handled. Each leader was given some votes (I had around 100 votes) to participate. Just not sure how they picked the two leaders up for election. 1 guy was the points leader, but the other guy was #4 in the scoring. Guess I'll read up on that.

Anyway, the UN leader was allowed to propose a bunch of resolutions for everyone to vote on. Pretty cool. I think some sports sims could use something like this for voting on expansion or salary caps, etc.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:38 PM   #280
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:

I rarely agree with what they recommend.

I would like it turned off, if for no other reason than the recommended items are moved to the top and therefore it screws me up when I'm looking.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:43 PM   #281
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
Finally completed a full game of Civ4 couple nights ago. I came in 3rd out of 10, but the really interesting thing was how the United Nations was handled. Each leader was given some votes (I had around 100 votes) to participate. Just not sure how they picked the two leaders up for election. 1 guy was the points leader, but the other guy was #4 in the scoring. Guess I'll read up on that.

Anyway, the UN leader was allowed to propose a bunch of resolutions for everyone to vote on. Pretty cool. I think some sports sims could use something like this for voting on expansion or salary caps, etc.

I believe the person who builds the United Nations wonder is locked into one of the two spots.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #282
jbmagic
Pro Starter

what level you guys recommend to play on?

what level are you currently playing on?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:00 PM   #283
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I was accidently going into the "city lite" screen when I first started playing the game. That screen doesn't show the little white circles. Make sure you go into the proper city screen which is done by double clicking on the city itself. If you click on the name of the city, it goes to the "city lite" screen.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #284
Flasch186
Coordinator

i still feel like the graphics give it a "kids" feel...I like the game, but feel like im playing a kids version. I think I wouldve liked if the graphics WERENT so polished...i dunno.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #285
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
i still feel like the graphics give it a "kids" feel...I like the game, but feel like im playing a kids version. I think I wouldve liked if the graphics WERENT so polished...i dunno.

wow. I couldn't disagree more. I love the graphics in this one.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:38 PM   #286
Flasch186
Coordinator

have you seen the ironclad's lean.....hello unrealistic.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:43 PM   #287
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF

Same here....
Old 10-31-2005, 09:47 PM   #288
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

Yep. If one feels like they are playing a kid's game, they should just stick to bare-bones games or binary. Like FOF. Which I still love.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:22 PM   #289
TroyF
Coordinator

Thing is, this is a strategy game. I don't "expect" good graphics. As long as the screen tells me what I need, I'm good to go. I know some have had a little difficulty seeing things, but being able to view the screen at max resolution, I'm not having any issues there at all.

I couldn't be happier with the graphics in the game. I also couldn't be happier with the strategy of the game. Even playing it on the lower levels to get an understanding of how to play, it's amazing to me how many different strategies you can use in this thing. Also how little mircro management you have to do overall. If I had to set up my workers to create everything, I couldn't play the game. But being able to let them work on their own and only clicking them a few times a game to give them a specific order is amazing.

This is clearly the strategy game of the year and ranks right up there with Half Life 2 as the overall game of the year IMHO.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 PM   #290
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You could, you know, not listen to them?

A lot of the times I just pick what I want. But it's nice to see what would be best for culture sometimes (btw, may I add here, that I LOVE the way culture is implimented in this game... FAR better than in CivIII. In this game, culture flipping only seems to happen when another Civ tries to plop in a small city to try to steal a resource or move a border... very nice indeed).

Oh, and a LOVE the graphics. I wish my computer was faster, but I think it's a good tradeoff (a little slow for fabulous graphics).
Old 10-31-2005, 11:13 PM   #291
Coop
High School JV

Half Life 2 came out last year
Old 11-01-2005, 12:08 AM   #292
saldana
Pro Starter

i think my favorite things to this point are the promotions for the cavalry units that make them immune to the first strike ability of archers (cant remember what its called, but its a second level promotion and totally turns the tides against archers defending cities) and the button on the workers for "automate trade routes" so you can just click on that in the 1500 ad area and all your railroads are put in automatically.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:22 AM   #293
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of railroad building, I also love the 'create route to' button that builds a road from one city to another with just two clicks.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 AM   #294
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
This is clearly the strategy game of the year and ranks right up there with Half Life 2 as the overall game of the year IMHO.

I had just told my wife today that Civ4 has become one of my favorite games ever. I can replay this a hundred times and it will always feel like a new game.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:37 AM   #295
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
I had just told my wife today that Civ4 has become one of my favorite games ever. I can replay this a hundred times and it will always feel like a new game.
Oh oh... now she's got advance warning. You fool! You're DOOMED!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:47 AM   #296
sabotai
General Manager

Fine....I guess I'll go out and buy this game too....sometimes I really hate this forum.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:00 AM   #297
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thing is, this is a strategy game. I don't "expect" good graphics. As long as the screen tells me what I need, I'm good to go. I know some have had a little difficulty seeing things, but being able to view the screen at max resolution, I'm not having any issues there at all.

I couldn't be happier with the graphics in the game. I also couldn't be happier with the strategy of the game. Even playing it on the lower levels to get an understanding of how to play, it's amazing to me how many different strategies you can use in this thing. Also how little mircro management you have to do overall. If I had to set up my workers to create everything, I couldn't play the game. But being able to let them work on their own and only clicking them a few times a game to give them a specific order is amazing.

I agree with everything in this post (except the HL 2 comment since I never played that.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:40 AM   #298
riz
SI Games

Damn you guys with the game already at hand !

*still waiting for the euro release*
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:43 AM   #299
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've only played through the tutorial so far, but I think the graphics are great. Since I've got a brand-new computer, everything works wonderfully, and I love the ebb and flow of the waves on the coast, etc. I'm hoping to start a real game tonight, but we'll see.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #300
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I, too, echo the recent comments. I started to play a real game (at a lower level) last night and while I am still not sure if anything I am doing is on the right path(s) towards an unknown goal, it definitely has the addictive "just-one-more-turn" feel. The only new game in the past 4-5 years that have come close to being that addictive right off was FBCB. As far as the graphics comments, I can get used to it as I play more. The UI is close to being perfect and using the [rollever] can get me all of the info I need about a tile quickly. But if any of you do hear of a mod on the yields, let me know. For example, having a forest on a plains almost completely hides the food and production symbols. They need to pop up more, imo.

Another good thing in echoing Fouts is like Civ2, this game is perfectly replayable - and even more so for me because I love to play scenarios more than the regular game.

By the way, do you think it would be cool to share some early game strategies here? What I would be interested in hearing is the decisions on techs, culture, religion, civics, units, improvements, etc. in the early game - and WHY.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote