Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #251
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Surprised there's no Wii Ware discussion in this thread thus far. It was released today with 6 titles available for download.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #252
MJ4H
Coordinator

Haven't been home to check them out, yet. I'm mostly interested in World of Goo, but it isn't out until next week, I understand.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #253
twothree
College Prospect

So far I am only interested in one Wii Ware title, Pokemon Farm or whatever it will be called, and that didn't get released today. Granted Pokemon Farm is not really a game, but as long as you can get a Mew out of it, I'll be happy.

The Nintendo Channel, which I guess got added back on May 7th, is great to download DS demos straight from your Wii to your DS. However, I don't know why they put the button for the DS download service under the "Find Titles for You" menu.

I am looking forward to getting Wii Fit on launch day, and I hope I can squeeze it into my busy game playing rotation. Way to many good games, and not enough time to play them.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #254
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm kinda interested in Lost Winds and Final Fantasy: My Life as a King (the game sounds fun despite my reservations about DLC milking) but have no Wii points and for some reason my credit card never works when trying to buy points from home.

WiiWare sounds promising and I'm sure some good games will be released on it but I'm also worried that Nintendo is going to stop bringing out Virtual Console games, those releases have really slowed down recently. I want Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and Uniracers among games that might realistically appear on there at some point. (damn you Square-Enix for preferring to remake your games for the DS instead of supporting the VC)
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #255
Qrusher14242
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Qrusher14242, assuming you were the Qrusher I saw in some of my online races this evening, were we randomly paired together or is there some way to join someone who is already racing without joining a lobby?

I raced SnDvls a few days ago but wasn't sure if you could set it up to play with a friend against a bunch of randoms, so we were stuck playing 1-on-1.

That game is too addictive, the fact that the races are over in 2-4 minutes make the "just one more race" itch that much harder to ignore.

heh yeah that was me. It showed you online, and said you were racing in a VS race and i clicked 'Meet Up' and then i went into your race. Pretty cool.

Yeah i cant stop playing this game heh, I love the new Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 AM   #256
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

My MK code is:
0645-6560-4186

My Wii code is:
5506 9618 8269 6233
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 AM   #257
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Hey Brian. Any news on FBB?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #258
Daimyo
College Starter

I downloaded the Final Fantasy WiWare game last night and played it for several hours. Its a very simple game and probably has very little replay-value, but it really has that "one more turn" feel to it and I'm enjoying it a lot for $15. So far I haven't seen any need for purchasing additional DLC.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #259
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I'm loving Okami, although I don't usually play those kind of adventure games so I may not be the greatest judge. The world is sort of overwhelmingly huge to me.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #260
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Hey Brian. Any news on FBB?

In short....been in conact with Jason and trying to get things going again...basically been through enough family stuff to write a book but I'm not sure anyone would believe it all.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #261
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

So I finally bother to pick up some Wii Points and now have to either delete some Virtual Console games or move them onto an SD card (which you can't run the games off of) to make room for the WiiWare games I want to download. Sort it out Nintendo, it's the people who download the most stuff that are going to be the biggest supporters of WiiWare, don't make giving you money a pain in the ass. Anyway here's hoping the hype for FF:CC:MLAaK and Lost Winds don't let me down.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #262
MJ4H
Coordinator

I heard that they are finally starting to admit this is a problem. Might be a solution sometime reasonably soon.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #263
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Thought I would add my Wii friend code here finally.

1627-9439-1565-8854

I am enjoying the Final Fantasy WiiWare game. It's simple but as mentioned above it has that "play one more turn" feel and I find myself playing longer than planned. I'm not sure why.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #264
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post
Thought I would add my Wii friend code here finally.

1627-9439-1565-8854

I am enjoying the Final Fantasy WiiWare game. It's simple but as mentioned above it has that "play one more turn" feel and I find myself playing longer than planned. I'm not sure why.

I've played it for about four or five hours this afternoon and feel the exact same way, the same addictiveness I get when I'm really into a game of Civilization or something. The turns are over just quick enough that there is hardly any dead time and you're always unlocking new stuff.

The turn-by-turn breakdown of all your adventurers' battles reminds me of looking at my OOTP team's box-scores, I'm not surprised other people that play text sims have enjoyed this.

I find it amusing how some of these WiiWare games have better graphics than third-party retail games despite being limited to 43MB.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #265
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

How does the BB pre-order thing work? We pre-ordered the Wii Fit and the card I got with it says it will be available May 19th. However, I see that the game officially comes out on the 21st. Is the card incorrect, or am I able to get the game 2 days early because I pre-ordered? I'm thinking the former, and that the card was printed up before they delayed the release 2 days, but I've never done a pre-order before and don't know how it works.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #266
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm thinking the former, and that the card was printed up before they delayed the release 2 days, but I've never done a pre-order before and don't know how it works.

I'm pretty sure this is the answer, all the Sunday ads had the game listed for the 21st.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #267
Ksyrup

I called and that's what they told me, but my parents (in Dallas) said they read an article in the paper over the weekend that said otherwise. Not a huge deal, I just didn't feel like wasting a trip.

I wonder if someone showed up with the card and receipt and bitched hard enough, if they'd let them buy it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-19-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #268
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So instead of trying to cut through all the BS, someone tell me the point behind WiiFit. I see a video game version of 100 yoga/fitness shows that are on my TV. Is there an actual game to this that draws kids/people in?

edit: When I say BS, I am talking about the hype reviews.

Last edited by Cringer : 05-19-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #269
MJ4H
Coordinator

I bought TV Show King on Wii Ware Saturday night. It looks like the kind of game the wife and I would play a lot. Watched some videos and it is pretty much exactly what we want. The only issue is the stupid wheel which turns the game into Mario Party. At the end of each round (which you can have 3, 6, or 9 of), each player can either spin the wheel or not spin the wheel. The wheel has spaces like Take $2,500 (you choose who to steal money from), Give $2,500 (choice of who to give money to), Win $15,000, swap money with someone (they get your total, you get theirs), LOSE ALL YOUR MONEY, etc. When an entire rounds worth of dominating the questions lands you with $13,000 and everyone else has like $5,000, it can be very frustrating to have the wheel just gank you like that, especially over and over.

Now, you can just agree to never spin the wheel. But if you play with less than 4 players, then there are CPU opponents, and they definitely can choose to spin despite your wishes. We bought the game primarily for our times when we will play with friends, total of 4, so we will probably play it primarily that way, with everyone agreeing not to spin. Then it will be more fun/less annoying.

Game ships with 3,000 questions. The mechanics of the game are fun, too. It is a bunch of multiple choice questions, A-D. You click on the correct answer, and everyone can see everyone else selecting their answer. The first to click gets the most money, though. You can also fake out people that just do what you are doing assuming you know the answer by switching answers at the last second. There is definitely some strategy and fast action. My wife prefers this method because she says she never gets to ring in when its a ring in to answer game because she is too slow, so she always loses even if she knows every answer.

Production values are surprisingly good for a $10 game. The host is pretty scary looking and acting, the hostess is a hot stacked little cartoony chick that keeps doing thumbs ups and pointing at you, and there is a DJ style chick that it shows in between rounds that gives the host a thumbs-up. Lots of thumbs-up and pointing going on.

So yeah, after we get to play this with 4 players I'll report back, but worth $10 for us so far.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #270
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
So instead of trying to cut through all the BS, someone tell me the point behind WiiFit. I see a video game version of 100 yoga/fitness shows that are on my TV. Is there an actual game to this that draws kids/people in?

Yes, there are like 40 mini-games in there. Some are straight show-type stuff, some are real games. Plus there is a skiing game out that uses the board. Big knock on it is that you can't save off an "exercise routine", you have to keep picking mini-games to play.

I'll be able to give more details when I actually grab a copy.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #271
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

I would say there is not really an actual game with Wii Fit. But I did pick it up this morning and then played for over 3 straight hours. I didn't believe it myself, the time flew. I would classify Wii Fit exactly like Wii Sports. It is a collection of minigames designed to show what can be done with the hardware. And, at the moment for me it is fun to play.

I don't know if all the minigames/miniexercises will have lasting appeal, but I have only unlocked a little over half of them. I'll post again in a week and let you know if I am still using it.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #272
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
I'll post again in a week and let you know if I am still using it.

Yes, please do. I'm interested to see what people think of Wii Fit after kicking the tires for a while.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #273
Ksyrup

I know the Wii Fit has been out in Japan for a few months. Does anyone have any idea of how the Wii Board holds up? I was actually tempted to buy the $12.99 2-year service contract on it, but since I know better, I didn't. However, with a product like this, I'm wondering if it's worth it. Anyone know if there have been reports of problems or what the failure rate is?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #274
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I went looking for a WiiFit this evening, but it is sold out everywhere. Boo.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #275
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I went looking for a WiiFit this evening, but it is sold out everywhere. Boo.

My wife really wants it, so I went to pre-order for Mother's Day.

By then, 10 days before launch, everyone had stopped taking pre-orders.

When I heard about this, I thought there was no way it would succeed. Then I heard it had sold 1.4 million in Japan. Then I went to buy one, and was laughed at more than when I was trying to buy the Wii itself.

If they could produce enough (they won't) I wonder if this thing would have a bigger opening month than GTA IV on any individual platform.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #276
Daimyo
College Starter

I picked up Wii Fit last night at my local GameStop without a pre-order. It was showing as out-of-stock at every store that allows online inventory check though.

I'm not sure how much staying power it will have, but it is really cool. Its not really a game, but more of an exercise tool that tries to be fun.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #277
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm not all that interested in Wii Fit, but hopefully it sells well enough to get other games to support the balance board. One rumor states that Nintendo is already working on a new Punch-Out game that has an option to use the board, that'd be pretty cool.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #278
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

oh snap! that would be cool! Your character could move the direction you are leaning your weight, removing the awkward movement issues like the Wii Sports Boxing title has. If someone can manage to make the software read the punches more accurately, that combination could make for the best sports title ever.

Heh, it might be fun to do something like the old Mike Tyson Punch Out game where you train after every few fights, but instead of just watching you run behind the fat guy on the bike you'd have to jog on the balance board or something
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #279
saldana
Pro Starter

my mariokart number is 5284-2119-7979

i have added everyone that is in here with a MK code, so if you add me, you can all kick my butt (i dont get alot of time to play)

Last edited by saldana : 05-22-2008 at 03:27 PM.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #280
SnDvls
Pro Starter

played my Wii Fit yesterday for a half hour...quite fun.

I really suck at the down hill skiing, but I"m a great solom jumper and I can hula hoop with the best of them.

It says my balance is way off and I stand with almost all my weight on my heels so I'll see what kind of improvement I make over the long haul.

my BMI was 22.09 and said I should aim for 22.00 (I'm in the normal range for my height/age ect)

I'll keep everyone posted as I progress too.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #281
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall881 View Post
I got Boom Blox over the weekend.

Amazing game. It is a cross between Tetris, Jenga, shuffleboard, and a lot of other elements.

There is a ton of strategy to the two player games.

It is just a lot of fun!

Just picked this up on Wednesday and me and the kids are having a lot of fun with it.

Have not even made it to the two player side of things yet. We are having enough fun just knocking crap down in the free play mode.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #282
spleen1015
Coordinator

I missed Wii Fit on Wednesday because of work and a busy family schedule. Tried to find it tonight at a Best Buy, Meijer, Gamestop, and Walmart. None of them had it.

Bummer.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #283
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I just didn't get the appeal of it when they announced it but I'm curious what the sales numbers will be as it's pretty hard to find right now.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #284
twothree
College Prospect

Still playing Wii Fit for about 2 hours daily except for last Thursday. Thursday, I only played for about an hour, but I also went running outside for about an hour. Thursday and Sunday are my running days. I think I have almost everything unlocked except for the last 3 strength exercises and the last aerobic exercise. Right now Wii Fit is getting the most game play time from me with Persona 3:FES (PS2) a close second.

The Wii Fit board would really make a good boxing game, but I fear if you got too involved with the on screen action, especially over a 3 minute round, you might end up tripping over the board. The Wii Fit has a boxing/step exercise that really has some neat boxing controls when you are using it at least on the 6 minute level. You are usually stepping forward and then throwing a punch or a combination of punches. And then to avoid punches you are stepping backward or dodging to the left or right. I can see where they could make a really good boxing game out of it.

I also finally found a copy of Mario Kart and picked it up. Only played the first circuit, but the wheel control felt more natural than I thought it would.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #285
GenoAndo
n00b

Hey guys! I've been a long time lurker to this site. I just wanted to tell all of you that i'm finally getting a Wii on wednesday! I'm definately getting Mario Kart and Zelda. After reading your experiences with Mario Galaxy i'll probably end up getting that too!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you guys in Mario Kart!

Geno

I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.
-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by GenoAndo : 05-24-2008 at 10:10 PM.
GenoAndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #286
gstelmack
Pro Starter

BoomBlox is awesome. Great single player, fantastic party game, and my 5-year-old loves it because so far she's got the power throws figured out better than I do and is kicking my butt fair and square (I can't get reliable hard throws to save my life...)
Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #287
hukarez
College Starter

I'll go through this thread again to add any Wii friend codes that I may have missed.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #288
Butter
Coordinator

Happened on a Wii Fit at Target yesterday, they had something like 6 in the middle of the day.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #289
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Is playing WiiFit a decent workout?
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #290
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Is playing WiiFit a decent workout?

I think it depends on your definition of a "decent workout".

I'm in moderately good shape and from what I've seen from the Wii Fit so far, it doesn't provide a decent workout. The exercises are short and ultimately for most of the exercises you're just standing, balancing on a scale. The only time I started feeling like I was exercising was doing the jogging, but that one doesn't use the scale. I still have more to unlock and try, so I might feel differently after a while, but so far I'd say if you're in decent shape Wii Fit won't provide a good aerobic workout.

If you are new to exercising or aren't in decent shape, then I think Wii Fit could be a great starting point to get your head into fitness and give you some decent exercise. At least you'll get your body moving about, which is great for a lot of people who don't move around much during the day.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #291
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
I think it depends on your definition of a "decent workout".

I'm in moderately good shape and from what I've seen from the Wii Fit so far, it doesn't provide a decent workout. The exercises are short and ultimately for most of the exercises you're just standing, balancing on a scale. The only time I started feeling like I was exercising was doing the jogging, but that one doesn't use the scale. I still have more to unlock and try, so I might feel differently after a while, but so far I'd say if you're in decent shape Wii Fit won't provide a good aerobic workout.

If you are new to exercising or aren't in decent shape, then I think Wii Fit could be a great starting point to get your head into fitness and give you some decent exercise. At least you'll get your body moving about, which is great for a lot of people who don't move around much during the day.

I'm in the same boat as you. I was looking for something to do on a rainy day as an alternative to jogging, but as I feared, it doesn't seem like it's going to give me the workout I'm looking for.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #292
twothree
College Prospect

I am still playing Wii Fit almost daily. Yesterday was the first day I didn't play Wii Fit since I got it, Mario Kart got played instead. I now have every exercise unlocked; however, there may still be some higher repetions on some of the exercises that I haven't unlocked. Wii Fit is kind of like running for me in that I am usually not very motivated before I start, but once I get going I really don't want to stop. About the only thing I don't really like is the running in place, since I would rather be moving while running.

I would consider myself a couch potato as the only previous exercise I had been doing is a 6-mile run (a little over an hour) twice a week if the weather is good. I really don't do anything else, so for myself the Wii Fit has been worth it. In a few of the exercises on maximum repetions I can feel my muscles getting a work out, like that push-up one or the single-arm and leg extension. I thought nothing would get me to do a push-up again, since getting out of the Army over ten years ago, but the Wii Fit has managed to do it.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #293
Ksyrup

I haven't had a chance to do much with the Wii Fit yet, but I'm really looking forward to the strength exercises as opposed to the balance games. I'm assuming (hoping) that's where more of a "workout" occurs. But I haven't looked at those exercises at all yet, and have only played the game once so far.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #294
Butter
Coordinator

Has anyone tried the deal sending their Guitar Hero III game back to Activision for a full refund? I am thinking about doing it just because I think I've wrung all the fun I'm going to out of GH III.

http://www.activisiongameexchange.co...efundoffer.pdf
Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #295
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Has anyone tried the deal sending their Guitar Hero III game back to Activision for a full refund? I am thinking about doing it just because I think I've wrung all the fun I'm going to out of GH III.

http://www.activisiongameexchange.co...efundoffer.pdf

that return address isn't too far from work or home for me. If you do return it and have problems let me know I'll go knock on their door
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #296
Butter
Coordinator

Boom Blox is a fantastic multi-player game. Single player, not so much. My 8 and 6 year old were having a fun time trash talking each other as they played.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #297
Swaggs
Coordinator

Picked up BoomBlox and WareWare: Smooth Moves over the weekend.

BoomBlox is a great party game. I haven't played too far into the solo game, but it seemed pretty fun to me and a very good use of the Wii controls.

WarioWare was pretty entertaining while we played it (BoomBlox got a lot more time from us this weekend), but I was disappointed to find out that it was only for one player at a time. We actually found it used (first time I had ever seen it in a store, new or used), so I'm not too disappointed, but it just seems like some of the goofy games would be perfect for group play.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #298
MJ4H
Coordinator

You can unlock multiplayer by completing the single player in Wario Ware. Only takes an hour or two tops.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #299
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
WarioWare was pretty entertaining while we played it (BoomBlox got a lot more time from us this weekend), but I was disappointed to find out that it was only for one player at a time. We actually found it used (first time I had ever seen it in a store, new or used), so I'm not too disappointed, but it just seems like some of the goofy games would be perfect for group play.

One thing that drives me insane are games like this where multiplayer is really where the game shines and how people want to play it, but they make you play through single player to unlock it? Terrible design decisions. I want to play it with a group of friends, not be bored to tears playing it single player to "earn" the right to play it.

Nintendo seems to be the worst on this, but there's a lot of games that do it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #300
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes this was an irritating design decision. However it actually worked out pretty well in our case. We got the game and took turns playing the little series until we were through with single player. One person would play a series until they finished it or lost. Then the next person would take over, etc. This got the single player over with pretty quick and let everyone understand and see the minigames at the same level and made multiplayer much more fun when it was unlocked (which really doesn't take that long).

I agree in principle with you on this, but I actually think in most circumstances, it turns out pretty well because of this for this particular game.