Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #251
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If they let Favre come back as a back up he's an idiot. One INT from Rodgers and people will call for Favre. This is an amazingly retarded idea if true.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #252
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
If they let Favre come back as a back up he's an idiot. One INT from Rodgers and people will call for Favre. This is an amazingly retarded idea if true.

Is that really any worse than him playing for the Vikings? At least if he were the backup, they COULD go to him if Rodgers really crapped the bed.

Or they could play both...

Last edited by molson : 07-11-2008 at 05:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #253
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

If they are determined not to release him or trade him, they won't have a choice. However, I agree that I think this is just posturing.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #254
molson
General Manager

This might be the coolest QB controversy ever.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #255
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'll go back to what I said earlier, one of three things will happen:

1. Favre decides to stay retired.
2. Favre will come back and play for GB.
3. GB will trade Favre to a team like Baltimore for a mid-round pick.

In the end, none of this drama will be warranted. GB will not release him and why would they? They have a ton of cap space and there's no way they could "trust him" to not sign with Minnesota or Chicago.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #256
molson
General Manager

If Favre does end up back with the Packers, there would be a ton of pressure on him as well. Benching him for Rodgers has suddenly become a more realistic alternative, now that there's open questions about whether the Packers even want him on the team.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #257
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I have been a Packer fan since I was 12 or so. I am a shareholder. My daughter was conceived in a hotel room in Green Bay the night of Reggie White's last home game as a Packer. I love the Packers, I love Brett Favre.

Both sides screwed the pooch on this whole thing. I have no idea what to believe, but I am sure both sides have some right and wrong to them. Right now I am just very disappointed in everything, and a little saddened by it. At this point, I don't really see 'the right solution' happening, and that is welcoming Favre back with open arms. The Packers have cap space, so Favre's $12 million salary won't force them to cut players even if he does show up to camp. Making him a backup is an insane thought to me.

Plain and simple, this is ending ugly most likely, and it breaks my heart. Favre screwed up by 'retiring' and the orginization screwed up by openly slamming the door on his ass on the way out and piling people behind the door to keep it shut.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #258
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

And lets not forget, Favre is on the cover of Madden this year. That can't be good for him.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #259
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Sounds like Glazer's story is being verified by some league sources as GB had contacted them about reinstating Favre during the owner's meeting - then Favre decided he didn't want to come back in late March.

If this is indeed true, I don't see how anyone can be mad at GB. GB bought his "I want to play" line back in late March and were ready to add him back as the starter. Then, he backed out again. So, once Favre made this claim again in July, why would they consider going down this road again?

If GB came out immediately and said "Oh, yes, we want Favre back - he will be our starter and savior". What would be the impact on Rodgers (and the team) if Favre pulled a stunt like he did back in late March? The prudent decision after multiple attempts to get him to come back between Jan and April was to move on. If Favre doesn't like that, he should have taken the opening he had in late March, early April to come back as the starter. It's just too late now to risk another "bailout" by Favre as the team enters camp.

Last edited by Arles : 07-11-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #260
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I agree with Arles. F Favre. I wouldn't be surprised if this was his plan all along to try and get out of GB but still look good and make GB the bad guys. He threw a tantrum when they didn't get Moss. I can understand him wanting to win but I really gotta take GBs side in this and say I hope they don't release him, don't bring him back, and keep him retired whether he wants to be or not.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #261
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I have been a Packer fan since I was 12 or so. I am a shareholder. My daughter was conceived in a hotel room in Green Bay the night of Reggie White's last home game as a Packer. I love the Packers, I love Brett Favre.

Both sides screwed the pooch on this whole thing. I have no idea what to believe, but I am sure both sides have some right and wrong to them. Right now I am just very disappointed in everything, and a little saddened by it. At this point, I don't really see 'the right solution' happening, and that is welcoming Favre back with open arms. The Packers have cap space, so Favre's $12 million salary won't force them to cut players even if he does show up to camp. Making him a backup is an insane thought to me.

Plain and simple, this is ending ugly most likely, and it breaks my heart. Favre screwed up by 'retiring' and the orginization screwed up by openly slamming the door on his ass on the way out and piling people behind the door to keep it shut.

As Arles noted, if the Packers were willing to welcome him back in March, I don't see how the Packers screwed it up. It's what, two to three weeks or so until camp starts, and now he states that he wants to come back (after the Packers spent the off-season getting Rodgers ready to head the offense)? After the last two or three off-seasons of playing the same game (not as late), putting the Packers in a tough spot, Favre isn't exactly giving the team all the respect it deserves.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #262
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

How did the organization slam the door on his ass on the way out? By drafting a backup for next year? Give me a break. That's a joke.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #263
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
How did the organization slam the door on his ass on the way out? By drafting a backup for next year? Give me a break. That's a joke.

Yeah. No shit. Right?

The Packers were wrong for moving on after he retired?

Favre is 100% at fault here. He's been selfish for 3 years now. If they were smart, they let him come back and they trade him to get something for him.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #264
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Yeah. No shit. Right?

The Packers were wrong for moving on after he retired?

Favre is 100% at fault here. He's been selfish for 3 years now. If they were smart, they let him come back and they trade him to get something for him.

Agreed. Especially after today. From reports, when asked why he suddenly is changing his mind after saying he wasn't committed to football in March, he said "I felt I had to make a decision because I was being pressured to do so."

Um...really? Sure, the media and the fans have drummed it up every year for like the past 3 or so, always bringing up the speculation, but from my understanding - the front office has been a helluva lot more supportive and understanding. Especially this year. They didn't bug him, didn't pressure him, and he surprises a lot of people and retires in March. Now suddenly he wants to play and its THEIR fault for not bringing him back? Sorry, Brett. You are still my favorite player, and you will always be a Packer, but you don't have the right to say "I want my unconditional release because I want to choose where I play." You are still under contract here. You said you were done, and then suddenly decide you want to play again? Well, it will either be here - or where WE put you. Not where you decide. And especially not in the damn NFC North. No way in hell.

*deep breath* I have just been getting sick of this whole thing, and now seeing this feels kind of like a betrayal. I still love what Favre did on the field and what he has done for Green Bay, but I feel I lost a little respect for him today.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #265
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
*deep breath* I have just been getting sick of this whole thing, and now seeing this feels kind of like a betrayal. I still love what Favre did on the field and what he has done for Green Bay, but I feel I lost a little respect for him today.

]

Welcome to the party, pal
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #266
mckerney
Coordinator

If he does somehow make it to the Vikings it will be difficult to root for them this year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 PM   #267
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I lost ALL respect for him today.

fixed to reflect my views. He becomes just another greedy, selfish athlete in my eyes at this point.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #268
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
fixed to reflect my views. He becomes just another greedy, selfish athlete in my eyes at this point.

You had respect for him before? He's always been a selfish egomaniac.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #269
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

not particularly no. But now I want to hit him
Old 07-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #270
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

If I was Aaron Rodgers, I'd be tempted to come out with the following statement -

"If Brett Favre decided to come back in March, he would have been the starting QB going into this season. If he is coming back, who am I to argue with that. He is an all-pro caliber QB that's loved by Packer fans. At some point, I will be the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers just as the timing wasn't right for Brett to retire, the timing isn't right for me to take over if Brett is returning.

Then Ted floats him a new contract extension with some upfront guaranteed money.. Favre starts, Rodgers extended, TT doesn't have to bench, trade or cut Favre. Ted brings Brett back, tells him that he will start this year and if he falters after 4 games, Rodgers might be brought in. In 2009, it will be an open competition at QB for the starting job. If Favre doesn't agree, well, it goes back on Favre.

Granted, Rodgers is a QB and with that an ego so, I don't see any of that happening though, there is too much 'I have the biggest cock' going on. It's bad enough that Rodgers was replacing Favre when Favre was out of football, but if Favre is playing in the league and Rodgers starts out 0-2 and Favre 2-0? Ugh..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #271
Jas_lov
College Starter

Rodgers won't start 0-2. The Packers play the Detroit Lions week 2.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #272
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
As Arles noted, if the Packers were willing to welcome him back in March, I don't see how the Packers screwed it up. It's what, two to three weeks or so until camp starts, and now he states that he wants to come back (after the Packers spent the off-season getting Rodgers ready to head the offense)? After the last two or three off-seasons of playing the same game (not as late), putting the Packers in a tough spot, Favre isn't exactly giving the team all the respect it deserves.

Those are new reports, and time will tell if they are true. If so, then fine. I have also been hearing most of the summer how that Packers gave him a cold shoulder about really wanting him back, and made it allegedly made it clear to him they would rather move forward (which led to his retirement). To say the latest report is true and the crap I have heard the last few months is not, is not something I will do. Meaning I am not jumping to conclusion on things because of the latest, greatest report.

If the Packers treated him like they didn't want him back then maybe that played a role in this, and that is what I meant by my comments.

And since every got all excited about my saying Favre was not the only one potentially at fault here, let me point out that does mean I think Favre takes a good chunk of blame here as well. I never once came close to saying Favre has handle this well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

Read my last comment and chill out a little. You act like I personally insulted you. Are you Ted Thompson? Give me a break. That's a joke.

Quote:

It's the NFL, I have always considered every player, especially the top players, to have enormous egos. You don't usually get to the top by thinking you might be able to do a decent job playing QB or RB in the NFL.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #273
Arles
Grey Dog Software

One thing Favre needs to understand is that he is not going to be worshiped by his new team. Favre had 6 INTs in the first 5 games of 2004 (GB was 1-4). He had 8 INTs in the first 4 games of 2005 (GB was 0-4). In 2006, he had 5 in the first 4 (1-3). If he goes to Baltimore or the Jets or Tampa and starts out like he has in 3 of the last 4 seasons, he won't have fans saying "well, those WRs weren't getting open" or "the line wasn't giving him time" or "the OC is just calling terrible plays".

He will face a fan base with no loyalty to him and no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. They will be paying him decent money to come in and win now and probably have given up a solid draft pick to land him. Favre needs to be real sure that's the situation he wants. Having high expectations, no loyalty, his own age, a new system, new WRs and an offense that was preparing to go to war with someone else 2 weeks ago is not the best fit for a 39-year old QB who's struggled out of the gate in 3 of the last 4 seasons.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #274
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
One thing Favre needs to understand is that he is not going to be worshiped by his new team. Favre had 6 INTs in the first 5 games of 2004 (GB was 1-4). He had 8 INTs in the first 4 games of 2005 (GB was 0-4). In 2006, he had 5 in the first 4 (1-3). If he goes to Baltimore or the Jets or Tampa and starts out like he has in 3 of the last 4 seasons, he won't have fans saying "well, those WRs weren't getting open" or "the line wasn't giving him time" or "the OC is just calling terrible plays".

He will face a fan base with no loyalty to him and no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. They will be paying him decent money to come in and win now and probably have given up a solid draft pick to land him. Favre needs to be real sure that's the situation he wants. Having high expectations, no loyalty, his own age, a new system, new WRs and an offense that was preparing to go to war with someone else 2 weeks ago is not the best fit for a 39-year old QB who's struggled out of the gate in 3 of the last 4 seasons.

+ Madden Cover.

Of course maybe this is part of the jinx already.....
Old 07-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #275
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

From Packers.com

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers are aware of the latest developments regarding Brett Favre.

Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms. We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion.

Brett's press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement.

The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team.

As a retired player, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with Commissioner Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team.

As with all Packers greats, Brett's legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions.

Brett and Deanna will always be a part of the Packers family.

Seems like a line has been drawn and I can't really disagree with it. Favre would become an active member of the team. Starter? Nothing promised. Cutting you? Not happening.

That is what I take from that though. And really I think those are Favre's only options. Stay retired or play for the Packers in the way they see fit, however that may be. That Packers don't have to release him and they won't because it would hurt them in one way or the other.

I never had time to check news and websites on this yesterday. I like this statement by the Packers a lot. Unless it turns out to be crap in the end....

Last edited by Cringer : 07-12-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #276
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just one more guy completely with the team here. Press statement above seems perfect to me.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #277
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Just released - GB will welcome Favre back to be the team's backup QB if he applies for reinstatement:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3484473

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers' general manager and coach don't plan to grant Brett Favre's request for his release. If he does rejoin the team, they told The Associated Press, it won't be as the starting quarterback.

And Favre is unlikely to accept a backup role, GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged Saturday in their first public comments since the 38-year-old Favre demanded his release this week.

A trade may be the best resolution, but Thompson and McCarthy declined to discuss that possibility. Thompson said he had not received any inquiries from other teams as of Saturday morning.

"We've communicated that to Brett, that we have since moved forward," Thompson said. "At the same time, we've never said that there couldn't be some role that he might play here. But I would understand his point that he would want to play."

When asked whether that role might be as a backup or coach, Thompson said: "not a coach."

Added McCarthy: "He did ask about that, though."

Last edited by Arles : 07-12-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #278
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
When asked whether that role might be as a backup or coach, Thompson said: "not a coach."

Added McCarthy: "He did ask about that, though."

My wife came and told me about this after I finished jogging, and this last part actually has me more curious then anything else now. I was always under the impression Favre never wanted to coach. Maybe I don't remember correctly, but I thought he has said so in the past.

I wonder what the story is behind him now willing to try coaching, and the story behind Thompson not wanting anything to do with him coaching. Not the biggest thing in the world, I just find it amusing. It's kind of like a cheap carnival ride.....

Last edited by Cringer : 07-12-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #279
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I haven't played Madden since 2000. I know Favre is on the box, but is he in the game too? If not, that's a bit weird...

And if you believe that Brett will be the backup, then I have a nice piece of oceanfront property to sell you in Green Bay.

A QB controversy of this magnitude should be occurring in Detroit. Imagine the fun we'd be having if Millen were in the middle of this!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #280
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

One thing that will be interesting is that when he applies for reinstatement and the Packers active him to be the backup and then Brett doesn't show up, Brett was always big on 'You signed a contract, you should honor it'

I'm sure that will go out the window pretty quickly.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #281
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
One thing that will be interesting is that when he applies for reinstatement and the Packers active him to be the backup and then Brett doesn't show up, Brett was always big on 'You signed a contract, you should honor it'

I'm sure that will go out the window pretty quickly.

i'll enjoy the chance to call him a hypocrite then
Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #282
Axxon
Pro Starter

You guys who keep talking about teams like the Vikings and the Ravens should read this. This was what I was talking about way earlier and Bucs fans have had this thought for a while. Here's ESPN's take and it concurs.

Quote:
Now that Brett Favre has asked the Green Bay Packers for his release so he can play elsewhere, the search for a compatible team has hit a new level.

The Packers -- who had been focused on developing Aaron Rodgers at quarterback the past four months since Favre's retirement announcement -- will have to decide whether to try to keep Favre, trade him or release him. The most likely scenario would be a trade, which would allow the Packers to control where Favre plays. With every other NFC North team likely interested in Favre, the Packers would be silly to release him, and thus allow him to stay in the division. It's a tough call, given the fallout if the Packers don't try to talk Favre out of his release request.

Put the odds of him playing for the Packers at 6-1.

The following is a look at the odds of Favre winding up with each of the 31 other teams in the NFL:

Ideal Destinations

At 6-1, we have the Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jon Gruden loves collecting quarterbacks, and this would be his greatest catch of all. If Favre becomes available, it wouldn't be a shocker if the Buccaneers make a run at him. And if they do, Tampa could be attractive to Favre. This is another team to watch.

7-1 Carolina Panthers: This could be an intriguing possibility, although on Saturday The Charlotte Observer reported that Panthers general manager Marty Hurney dismissed an Internet report that Favre was interested in playing for Carolina. That said, Favre probably would like to play in the South, and the Panthers are a good quarterback away from being a solid playoff contender. Jake Delhomme can be effective, but he is coming off elbow surgery. If Favre comes back and is no longer a Packer, keep an eye on the Panthers.

8-1 Baltimore Ravens: This could be a real possibility if Favre really wants to play this season. Baltimore is a decent team in need of a quarterback. Sure, the Ravens took Delaware QB Joe Flacco in the first round of the April draft. But no one would blame the Ravens for holding off on the Flacco era in favor of Favre for a year or two. If Favre wants to come back, Baltimore could be a place to consider.

25-1 Minnesota Vikings: This is the perfect landing spot for Favre. The Vikings are the best team in need of a quarterback. The addition of Favre would make Minnesota an instant Super Bowl contender. But there's a problem: The Packers likely would never let that happen....

hxxp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=williamson_bill&id=3474482

Say what you will but I really think when it comes down to it, if he's not a Packer he'll become a Buc. Keep in mind, Brett and Gruden worked together for a few years and there really is no doubt that Gruden loves him some old QB's and with the year Favre had last season, he's old in age but not ability.

As for the INT's that works in the Bucs favor because they're one of the few teams with a defense that can take those without breaking. At least his aren't the run back for a TD INT's that Griese and Sims loved to throw. They're usually the FG at worst interceptions.

Oh, and keep in mind that the Bucs have been playing hardball with Garcia and have refused to extend his contract. I'm betting that as it rolls out, if GB doesn't keep Favre, he comes here and Garcia goes to Minnesota. Time will tell but that's my prediction.

I can't help but saying that I hope it plays out that way. There's really no lose for Tampa Bay in that situation. It was always gonna be Garcia for a year or two and then we find a QB and no doubt Brett is miles ahead of Jeff even now. We don't delay anything and this was a playoff team in a weak division. Brett for sure makes the playoffs again with us and is the kind of QB that can put up enough points even with minimal help and we have the D to keep the scores against us down.

Oh, and the Super Bowl is in Tampa this year. Could you imagine if he plays that game as a Buccaneer?

I sure can.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #283
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Going off of what was said today, Favre won't be traded either. The Packer's don't have to do anything, that is the beauty of the situation for them I guess.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #284
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Going off of what was said today, Favre won't be traded either. The Packer's don't have to do anything, that is the beauty of the situation for them I guess.

The Arizona Republic had an article in their print version today that basically quoted Thompson saying the organization was committed to doing what was best for Brett Favre. He said he'd earned it. What I took from that was that they were angling for the trade angle so they could get some value back.

Can't find it on their website so maybe things have changed since the paper was printed but really, do the Packers hold the cards?

If they don't trade him they have to start him. The fans, I mean the owners, are going to demand it and 12 million for the backup can't be justified at all, not even just to dick a guy over. Imagine how that'll play to free agents who already have to consider the weather and other factors. Not wise.

No, the Packers on paper don't have to do anything but if you think they want to spend 12 mill on a backup and in any universe, it's a good idea, then I disagree. It's either start him, which if they kept him they'd end up doing or trade him. Nothing else makes sense and if they are truly desirous of moving on, then they suddenly don't hold all the cards because starting the guy you're moving on from, and pissing off the guy you're moving to is counterproductive.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #285
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
No, the Packers on paper don't have to do anything but if you think they want to spend 12 mill on a backup and in any universe, it's a good idea, then I disagree. It's either start him, which if they kept him they'd end up doing or trade him. Nothing else makes sense and if they are truly desirous of moving on, then they suddenly don't hold all the cards because starting the guy you're moving on from, and pissing off the guy you're moving to is counterproductive.

Keeping him as a backup has a chance to be disastrous.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #286
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Keeping him as a backup has a chance to be disastrous.

Exactly and since they now have said that they will take him and give him that role, he can pick up a cool 12 million dollars for doing nothing as a worst case scenario so who holds all the cards again?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #287
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't believe the Packers will let him play anywhere else, no matter what. If he plays next year it will be for the Pack.

my $.02

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #288
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I don't believe the Packers will let him play anywhere else, no matter what. If he plays next year it will be for the Pack.

my $.02

Could be but if Rogers starts slow, that team is finished. Sometimes it's just wiser to just move on.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:31 AM   #289
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Favre's in a tough spot if GB doesn't trade him. If he applies to be reinstated, he needs to show up to GB's training camp on day 1 and play the entire camp. If he doesn't, GB can put him on the "did not show/retired" list like Tampa did with Jake Plummer last season. Then, Favre won't make a dime.

So, if GB doesn't trade him, his only option is to show up to training camp on day 1 and play well:

1. If he doesn't show up, he won't get paid and will basically end up staying retired.
2. If he shows and goes half ass or fakes an injury, he will be seriously criticized and Ted Thompson's strategy to go with Rodgers will be reinforced as the right call. Plus, no one will want to use $12 million of cap space on a rusty 39-year old Favre in camp.

IMO, I think that Favre will apply for reinstatement. GB will tell him to show and make some token calls on trades (ie, Baltimore). Once the day to report to camp comes, Favre won't show and will "re-retire". Then, this will all blow over by the time the first game is played.

Last edited by Arles : 07-13-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #290
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Why is Green Bay even talking to him until he applies for reinstatement? GB's stance should be we have no reason to release you, because you are retired.

They don't cut him and allow him to go to Minnesota. And minimal chance he's traded within the NFC. AFC possibly, but they aren't sending him to a team that can actually win with him.

Haven't seen mentioned yet, if he's reinstated, and the Pack just holds onto him, what's his cap hit? Isn't he due something like $12M?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #291
Logan
Head Coach

Last I saw, the Packers have something like $30MM in cap room, so the $12MM hit at this stage won't be a killer.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:08 AM   #292
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Favre's in a tough spot if GB doesn't trade him. If he applies to be reinstated, he needs to show up to GB's training camp on day 1 and play the entire camp. If he doesn't, GB can put him on the "did not show/retired" list like Tampa did with Jake Plummer last season. Then, Favre won't make a dime.

So, if GB doesn't trade him, his only option is to show up to training camp on day 1 and play well:

1. If he doesn't show up, he won't get paid and will basically end up staying retired.
2. If he shows and goes half ass or fakes an injury, he will be seriously criticized and Ted Thompson's strategy to go with Rodgers will be reinforced as the right call. Plus, no one will want to use $12 million of cap space on a rusty 39-year old Favre in camp.

IMO, I think that Favre will apply for reinstatement. GB will tell him to show and make some token calls on trades (ie, Baltimore). Once the day to report to camp comes, Favre won't show and will "re-retire". Then, this will all blow over by the time the first game is played.

You had me up until the last sentence.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #293
TroyF
Coordinator

The Packers are doing nothing more than posturing here. I can't tell you if they are making a mistake or not. (though I feel pretty strongly that they are)

If the Packers feel Rodgers can play at nearly the level of Favre next year, they can win this.

The problem is pretty simple and has been explained by some here already. Rodgers will not be able to perform with Favre on the roster as a backup QB. It's the most asinine thing in history. A hall of fame QB coming off a pro bowl season is going to be on the sidelines watching a guy who played in one NFL game? The Pack fall behind the Vikings 3-0 on opening night and the fans will be chanting FAVRE, FAVRE, FAVRE.

Rodgers will be devastated.

My prediction still stands. By not welcoming him back into the fold, every member of the Packers FO will see their careers in the NFL come to a screeching halt. Imagine being in your next job interview and explaining to an owner "Yeah, we had a super bowl calibur team, but I decided to go with the unproven QB and let the HOF walk for a 7th round pick" NEXT. . .
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #294
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Thompson said yesterday....

"Favre's welcome back, but the scenery has changed. There may be a different role," Thompson said. "He becomes an active member of the roster, and then we'll see how it goes from there. We don't have the answers right now, because it hasn't happened, and we don't know that it will."

Never said he couldn't be the starter, which is a little interesting I guess.

Also from this article....

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...SFRONTCAROUSEL

Quote:
Only on Tuesday — in a conference call between Thompson, McCarthy, Favre and Favre's agent, Bus Cook — did Favre say he was committed to playing.
"Was it convincing? I'd say yes," McCarthy said. "But that was the first time, July 8, that I'd ever heard him say (he was committed). And he continually, from (June) 21 to July 8, told (offensive line coach) James Campen that he was not going to play. So, that's a pretty important piece of the puzzle."
Two days after the meeting, Cook sent the letter to the Packers asking them to release Favre.

This has me leaning more towards taking the team's side then sitting in the middle like I was, waiting to see what happens. I would never hate the Packers anyway, because I am a fan of the TEAM, and not just Brett Favre.

I wish I would see one thing happen at this point. Three people, Thompson, McCarthy, and Favre, getting their asses on a plane and sitting down together. Just do it already, because the talking through the media is crap. Sit down, talk it out, and see what happens. Whatever happens is better then this crap....
Old 07-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #295
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
My prediction still stands. By not welcoming him back into the fold, every member of the Packers FO will see their careers in the NFL come to a screeching halt. Imagine being in your next job interview and explaining to an owner "Yeah, we had a super bowl calibur team, but I decided to go with the unproven QB and let the HOF walk for a 7th round pick" NEXT. . .

I really hope this is allowed to play out, because I honestly don't think people will react like this.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #296
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Has Favre actually applied to Goodell yet to be reinstated? Last I heard he had not, so it's interesting to see all the discussion for a player who has not officially unretired.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #297
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I really hope this is allowed to play out, because I honestly don't think people will react like this.

Agreed, because the reaction in Green Bay (according to reports) has been strongly anti-Favre, mostly "why is he doing this to us?".
Old 07-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #298
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I agree with this as well. First off, it won't be easy for all of the front office to get tossed out the door and the current front office has done a good job in every area until now. There are many people who have pointed out across the internet the difference between Packer fans and Favre fans. Favre fans (the ones saying if he goes somewhere else they will be a fan of that team now) are the ones crying out the most it seems. I am a so-called owner, or shareholder to be more accurate, and I can tell you I don't have a ton of power to try to get the team executives fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Has Favre actually applied to Goodell yet to be reinstated? Last I heard he had not, so it's interesting to see all the discussion for a player who has not officially unretired.

No he hasn't. Which is what Thompson was talking about yesterday about things being unclear and up in the air and all that kind of crap. Favre hasn't even taken the first step yet.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #299
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Timeline of events from GM Ted Thompson:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/ar...-timeline.aspx
  • Jan. 20, 2008 - The Packers lose in overtime to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship Game. Both Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy speak briefly to Favre before he returns home to Hattiesburg, Miss.
  • Jan. 30 - McCarthy and Favre are both at the Super Bowl media center in Phoenix to collect post-season awards and spent about an hour chatting. The two talk again when McCarthy is at the Pro Bowl in Honolulu and later when McCarthy returns home.
  • Feb. 22 - Sometime during the scouting combine Thompson calls Favre because he had heard reports that the quarterback was mad he hadn't called him. "I called him and he said, 'Well I don't know where you're getting that from, because that's not true.'" Thompson said he reassured Favre he was wanted back and told him McCarthy would be the one communicating with him most often.
  • Feb. 25 - McCarthy calls Favre on trip back from combine and discusses how he might be able to lesson the quarterback's load and whether Favre can commit 100%.
  • Feb. 29 - Favre calls McCarthy and tells him if he had to make a decision now, he would retire. McCarthy tells him to think about it over the weekend and both think Favre will play. "Mike talked to him about, ‘Well, what if we change (reduce) some reps or off-season things' and things like that and he was pretty sure that he wanted to retire."
  • March 3 - Favre calls McCarthy at a function in Austin, Texas, and tells him he's retiring. McCarthy asked if he needed more time and he said no. Favre tells him he can't commit 100%. McCarthy flies back to Green Bay.
  • March 4 - Thompson, McCarthy and public relations director Jeff Blumb are in Thompson's office and Blumb reaches Favre on his cell phone. "Jeff spoke for a few minutes and then I talked to Brett for I don't know, 20 minutes, 15 minutes, something like that. We got to the point where he wanted to go ahead and make the announcement here and then I think Jeff got back on the phone and then they worked it out that he would come up here and do the press conference."
  • March 6 - Favre conducts retirement press conference.
  • Week of March 24 - Offensive line coach James Campen, who is visiting Louisiana, stops in to see Favre at his Mississippi home and is asked by Favre whether he thinks the Packers would take him back. Campen reports the conversation to McCarthy and Thompson. McCarthy calls Favre and hears the same things Campen did.
  • March 27 - Thompson and McCarthy decide they would be fine with Favre returning even though Aaron Rodgers is set to begin off-season workouts as the starter, and they inform Favre. "Mike said, ‘Ted and I talked and we said, fine.' But we'd like to come see you, and Brett was kind of excited that we were coming to see him." In preparation to leave for the owners meetings in West Palm Beach, March 30-April 3, they arrange to meet with Favre and wife, Deanna.
  • March 29 - McCarthy makes plans to fly to Hattiesburg on April 1 to make plans for Favre's return. McCarthy is leaving for evening Mass when Favre calls to inform him he has changed his mind. "We were all set for them, but Brett called back and that he and Deanna had a long talk about it and they were going to stick with their original decision."
  • May 6 - Thompson is down South and decides to pay a visit to Favre at his home. "I called him and said I am thinking about seeing you, I don't have any agenda or anything. So I did, I went and visited. Had lunch sat out on the veranda. We had a long talk and good talk. Nothing really came up other than like with any retired player, you could tell there were a few things that he would throw in there; 'there might be some doubts, I may change my mind,' or something like that. And that was that."
  • June 8 - Campen goes to Favre's home and has a long talk with Favre and leaves feeling Favre wants to return.
  • June 20 -- Favre calls McCarthy and the two have a 45-minute conversation in which Favre tells him he might want to play again. "There was more wondering, you know, what ifs." McCarthy and Thompson go on vacation for the July 4th weekend.
  • July 4 - Thompson receives a text message from Favre and sends a message back at about 8 p.m. back telling him he's traveling and can they talk on Monday? "By Monday I hadn't heard back from him. I sent him back a text saying, ‘Haven't heard from ya, hope you're getting these messages, can we talk Tuesday at noon?' He got back to me and said 'OK,' that it would be better sooner, but I was kind of doing some other things so we set up a conference call."
  • July 8 - Favre and his agent, James (Bus) Cook ask Thompson for Favre's release during the conference call. It's understood Favre won't be the starter in Green Bay. "There were, I think, conversations with Mike where both parties acknowledged that time had gone by and the Packers had been asked to move on, or move forward, or whatever. That's what they were thinking there (about asking for his release)."
  • July 11 - Thompson receives a letter from Favre and Cook formally asking for Favre to be released.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #300
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

He can't officially unretire, because he never turned in the official paperwork to retire. The Packers put him on the Reserve/Retired list, but he himself never finished the paperwork on his side.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 07-13-2008 at 04:04 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote