Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #251
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Rams will probably draft Bradford... I could see it happening.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #252
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
While it goes along with 2, I'd also add that in Alabama's game they were much closer to defeat. If they miss blocking either FG, they probably lose that game.
If they allowed the first one, that means UT goes up 13-12 with ~1:30 left. Considering how good Tiffin has been, they'd have had a good chance to win.
Quote:
I think that will change if Locker and Clausen enter the draft, which I think is likely given the CBA status.
I'd put Clausen at 50/50 or maybe even 60/40 in favor of staying, especially if Locker and Bradford are in with McCoy, Tebow, Snead, Pike etc. #1/2 QB in a capped year is better than #4/5 and slipping past 20 in an uncapped one. I also think as much as Clausen acts like a douche and grandstands, that winning an NC at Notre Dame would be huge for him, and if he can convince Tate to come back with Floyd next year they will be right in the preseason top 10. And yes, that was the same logic as Bradford, but Bradford was a consensus top 10 pick and I don't think Clausen will be.
Quote:
Well, I think he cost himself 20-30 million as he was a top 10 pick last year and possibly the top pick. Now, with the injury questions from this season, I bet he goes very low in the 1st round or later. If he came back, he could have at least had a chance to show that he isn't injury prone not to mention put some more impressive stats up to wow scouts/NFL personnel. Of course, he could get hurt if he came back next year and cost himself even further. Tough choice.
Injury prone? He seperated the shoulder and tried to come back too soon, and he had a mild concussion once as a freshman. He hasn't had a multitude of injuries or ones that would be recurring. In fact, he's had basically the same number as Locker (out 8 weeks with a broken thumb last year, neck injury as a freshman) and the 2 are actually (listed at) the same size - 6'4 ~225. And Bradford has been much more impressive throwing the ball when healthy than Locker, who is still a work in progress (albeit with a much better O-line and WR's).

As predicted, TCU also jumped Boise St. in the BCS standings. There's no way for Boise to regain it against the Frogs in the computers, and the voting gap will probably continue to narrow if TCU looks good vs Utah or if some of those other teams lose. Boise desperately needs an Oregon win against USC (and the rest of the schedule) now to have a trump card.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-25-2009 at 09:44 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #253
tarcone
Coordinator

Every time I see Tebow, it looks like he can make all the throws. He might be a little inaccurate, but does that make him a 3rd or 4th round pick? Or is there something im missing.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #254
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Every time I see Tebow, it looks like he can make all the throws. He might be a little inaccurate, but does that make him a 3rd or 4th round pick? Or is there something im missing.

Tebow throws an ugly ball and no one has any idea if he can read an NFL defense coming from Meyer's offense.

I for one have been horribly unimpressed with Tebow this year and Florida in general on offense. He gets his numbers at times, but that offense has too much talent to be as ineffective as it is at times.

I truthfully think Alabama is going get past LSU, then head to the SECCG and beat Florida because Bama is going to be able to hold the Gator offense, and control the ball when they have it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #255
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Tebow has a long wind up when he throws that will get him killed in the NFL. He does not know how to read defenses as shown by the amount of sacks he has taken as a result of him not being able to make the correct read. While he is good runner out of the QB position, Tebow if he plays QB will not be able to run over NFL level LBs who would love nothing more too knock a QB out.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #256
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

You are an awesome college football analyst, you think Iowa is a top team.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #257
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Boise St or TCU would handle Iowa fairly easily. Iowa cant pass the ball.

I believe the SEC Championship game will be the true national championship game.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:27 AM   #258
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Injury prone? He seperated the shoulder and tried to come back too soon, and he had a mild concussion once as a freshman. He hasn't had a multitude of injuries or ones that would be recurring. In fact, he's had basically the same number as Locker (out 8 weeks with a broken thumb last year, neck injury as a freshman) and the 2 are actually (listed at) the same size - 6'4 ~225. And Bradford has been much more impressive throwing the ball when healthy than Locker, who is still a work in progress (albeit with a much better O-line and WR's).
I guess the bigger issue though if I were an NFL team is how bad that shoulder is. Is the damage long term? Will his ball lose any zip? When you're investing $25 million in guaranteed money on someone, questions like these will arise.

I'm sort of surprised he announced so early. You'd think you'd want to see who else is coming out and how the rest of the season plays out.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #259
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
He also rarely has any pressure on him. His motion currently is far too slow for the NFL and would need to be drastically changed.

Normally I'd say he'd be an undrafted player, but his name alone will get him drafted. I do think I'd take a flyer on him with a 6th or 7th round pick if I had a creative offensive coordinator. He's not a starting QB though and should not be drafted with any inclination of it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #260
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Boise St or TCU would handle Iowa fairly easily. Iowa cant pass the ball.

I believe the SEC Championship game will be the true national championship game.

Boise State is not that good. They had all off season to prepare for the one tough game on their schedule, Oregon. Put Boise in the Mountain West, they lose at least 2 games, I'd even venture to say put them in the ACC and they'd lose 2.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #261
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wow. I saw this story a day or two ago and thought it was fake, but the LA Times has posted it now and confirmed that it was real. I saw the twitters and they was quite derogatory to Norm Chow. Apparently, Randall Carroll is unhappy with his genius Offensive coordinator among other things and it sounds like there is a lot of turmoil in UCLA's locker room:

Tweet from UCLA player's account uses racial epithet for Norm Chow -- latimes.com

Edit: With this type of attitude, it makes me glad USC didn't get him.
Interesting. Before seeing this, I already thought UCLA was perhaps self-imploding on the coaching side. I can't imagine all the merry-go-round QB decisions are good for the morale of the team, and now this? If the UW is going to get to 6 wins, beating UCLA is a must.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #262
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
As sad as I am to say it I think Locker goes. Teams will be salivating over him, prototype size, speed and a model guy. I think most of the country doesn't know about him because he plays for a bad team on the west coast, but the guy will be amazing on Sundays.
I think Locker goes too - too much money at stake to not do so.

That said, I think his NFL career would be much better served by him coming back for another year of coaching from Sark & Nussmeier. I doubt he gets the same kind of teaching on an NFL team.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #263
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Boise State is not that good. They had all off season to prepare for the one tough game on their schedule, Oregon. Put Boise in the Mountain West, they lose at least 2 games, I'd even venture to say put them in the ACC and they'd lose 2.

So this makes them not that good? That they had all offseason to prepare for Oregon? Not following you....
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #264
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
So this makes them not that good? That they had all offseason to prepare for Oregon? Not following you....

I've watched them play numerous times since then and they don't strike me as Top 5 team heck I dont even think they are a Top 10 team. Put them in a conference where they have to play decent teams week in and week out, and no way they don't finish undefeated. I'd put a one loss team in almost any BCS and the Mountain West ahead of them.

They had Oregon circled since the beginning of spring ball and had all their focus towards beating them, because really that was the gem on their schedule. Great, nice win at home. But clearly the Oregon team of week 1 is much different than the Oregon team right now (if you have watched them place since then).

That's all I am going to say about this because I know you'll defend them to the death.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 10-26-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #265
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
8-0 for the 1st time in HISTORY

Quote:
1889 to present. 1st time ever to go 8-0.

Quote:
Bingo. Iowa lost those games last season. This season, 8-0.

Quote:
This has to be the absolutle funniest post I have ever read. Thank you for your comedic genius.

Oh yeah, Iowa is 8-0. Your team?

Quote:
Iowa has played this season with a banged up offensive line and 2 freshmen RBs, who were forced to play after there starter went down in preseason. But we are 8-0.

Quote:
Stanzi is a QB that isnt supposed to make mistakes and the ball off.

But he did have 60 yards of passing with 1:36 left in the game including a 7 yarder for a TD on 4th down with 2 seconds left in the game to get Iowa to 8-0. Truly, a giant clutch performance.

Quote:
You are correct. This is the 1st time in the history of Iowa football that we are 8-0. We have never been here before.

C'mon, Tarcone!! Only one more 8-0 reference and you are 8-0 in 8-0 references!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #266
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I've watched them play numerous times since then and they don't strike me as Top 5 team heck I dont even think they are a Top 10 team. Put them in a conference where they have to play decent teams week in and week out, and no way they don't finish undefeated. I'd put a one loss team in almost any BCS and the Mountain West ahead of them.

That's all I am going to say about this because I know you'll defend them to the death.

I still don't see what preparing for Oregon has to do with how good they are. They obviously prepared well enough to win the game. I think in the ACC they would lose a couple of games (Miami and VT, maybe even GT), but the only team in the Mountain West that I see giving them a really tough time is TCU. BYU has been blown out at home twice this year and Utah is a nice program but I don't see them beating Boise State.

I don't know that BSU is a top 5 team or not, but they are a top 10 team for sure. There is no real way to judge how good they are, thus an argument like this is pointless. Until they play a tougher schedule I don't have much of an argument for them to be a title contender. I still think they deserve a BCS bowl though.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #267
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I pit Iowas defense against ANY offense in the country

I would put down my life savings to watch USC, Florida, Oregon, or Texas beat the snot out of that vaunted Iowa defense.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #268
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Then I would think Cinci, Boise and Texas would get closer to Alabama and Florida after their less then spectaculer wins.

Yeah, these ARE rather unimpressive.

Texas 41
Mizzou 7

Cincinnati 41
Louisville 10

Boise State 54
Hawaii 9

Especially compared to

Iowa 15
MSU 13
Old 10-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #269
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I would put down my life savings to watch USC, Florida, Oregon, or Texas beat the snot out of that vaunted Iowa defense.

Haha.

Any team with a power running game and a bigger oline would destroy Iowa's DLine. Iowas DT Klug is 255 pounds. Iowa does have one of the best corners in the country but then we get to these slow safetys Iowa has as the last line of defense.

Out of teams Ive seen I think Florida and Mississippi would give them fits. Actually probably anyone in the SEC. Texas actually wouldnt be the worst matchup for the Hawkeyes. Texas in a way plays into Iowas strengths with their shorter passing game. Iowas team speed on defense is pretty good.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-26-2009 at 02:47 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #270
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Dola

Sorry to spam posts, but I was not around to respond to the Iowa is leetz banter.

Last edited by RomaGoth : 10-26-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #271
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, these ARE rather unimpressive.

Texas 41
Mizzou 7

Cincinnati 41
Louisville 10

Boise State 54
Hawaii 9

Especially compared to

Iowa 15
MSU 13

I thought it was pretty obvious that he was talking about the unimpressive wins by Florida and Alabama.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #272
tarcone
Coordinator

Computers LOVE Iowa.

Combined record of Iowa Opponents (FBS): 33-19

ISU 5-3
Arizona 5-2
PSU 7-1
Ark St 2-4
Michigan 5-3
Wisc 5-2
MSU 4-4

Not a patsy schedule by any means. Oh and Roma 8-0
Old 10-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #273
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I thought it was pretty obvious that he was talking about the unimpressive wins by Florida and Alabama.

Aah yes, I read it wrong. My mistake.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #274
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, those Arizona and Iowa State wins by Iowa are looking better and better.

Then there's the little matter of almost losing to Northern Iowa and Arkansas State.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #275
tarcone
Coordinator

I REALLY hate to say this. And it almost KILLS me to say this. But I hope Iowa State wins the Big 12 championship.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #276
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I REALLY hate to say this. And it almost KILLS me to say this. But I hope Iowa State wins the Big 12 championship.

Their opponent isn't going to turn the ball over 8 times every week.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #277
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I guess the bigger issue though if I were an NFL team is how bad that shoulder is. Is the damage long term? Will his ball lose any zip? When you're investing $25 million in guaranteed money on someone, questions like these will arise.
It's a separated shoulder. Based on everything I know there's no ligament or structural damage and he'll be at no greater risk of injuring it than anyone else once it heals with 2-3 months rest. I separated my (well, throwing I guess ) shoulder playing lacrosse ~2 years ago and I haven't had any trouble, recurrence, or loss of motion/velocity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Their opponent isn't going to turn the ball over 8 times every week.
Agreed. Iowa State is more likely to lose all 4 remaining games than win the Big 12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth
I don't know that Boise St is a top 5 team or not, but they are a top 10 team for sure. There is no real way to judge how good they are, thus an argument like this is pointless. Until they play a tougher schedule I don't have much of an argument for them to be a title contender. I still think they deserve a BCS bowl though.
Deserves got nothing to do with it. On the other hand, for all that I've disparaged Boise, I'd like to see them play in BCS game more than any conference #2 except the FLA/Alabama loser if both win out - I just don't want to see them as the non-BCS team over TCU if it comes down to that, or in the NC game.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #278
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Wow. I saw this story a day or two ago and thought it was fake, but the LA Times has posted it now and confirmed that it was real. I saw the twitters and they was quite derogatory to Norm Chow. Apparently, Randall Carroll is unhappy with his genius Offensive coordinator among other things and it sounds like there is a lot of turmoil in UCLA's locker room:

Tweet from UCLA player's account uses racial epithet for Norm Chow -- latimes.com

Edit: With this type of attitude, it makes me glad USC didn't get him.

What si the "Among other things"?

And yes, it wasn't very smart to criticize your offensive coordinator
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #279
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

He used lots of the N word and his tweets were in short hand/funky text format so it was hard to decipher it all, but from reading them, it seems he is unhappy with the team "not winning as fast as thought they would", the lack of trust from the coaching staff, and the classes at UCLA among a few other things. It is logged at the Peristyle, so I'll check it in a few, but I'm reading a chat over there right now.

Edit: I thought it was copied, but the thread just had a link to his account which has since been deleted from Twitter. There were multiple tweets and the media has just focused on the one where he directly called out Chow.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-26-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #280
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yup. It was poor choice of the word "Nigga" because of past connotations of the world in a different form. But I have a few staff members, hispanic and black, who use the word in a form where people would say "dude". Heck, I have one hispanic chick who calls her polish bf "my nigga" all the time. Seems to be a "ghettofabulous" slang word these days. Obviously it's not the wisest of words to use in a media form like twitter, but eh, what can you. UCLA doesn't need any more help with the implosion of their program without lazy media forums like the Times doing shoddy work.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #281
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Yup. It was poor choice of the word "Nigga" because of past connotations of the world in a different form. But I have a few staff members, hispanic and black, who use the word in a form where people would say "dude". Heck, I have one hispanic chick who calls her polish bf "my nigga" all the time. Seems to be a "ghettofabulous" slang word these days. Obviously it's not the wisest of words to use in a media form like twitter, but eh, what can you. UCLA doesn't need any more help with the implosion of their program without lazy media forums like the Times doing shoddy work.

Actually, that story was picked up by more than the Times. You can google it and it is in a bunch of newspapers across the nation. And how did the Times do shoddy work? Carroll admits it was his account and I don't think the biggest point of the story is his poor word choice, but the fact that he is telling a potential recruit that the Offensive coordinator sucks and he is unhappy at the program.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #282
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm aware of how "national" the story is. I'm sure him being unhappy is something that is rather worrisome, but what is the worst that is going to happen? Our offense will stagnate? I'm sure Carroll is doing some extra laps in practice as we speak and UCLA is "handling it in house"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw...0,908464.story

There is the Times article. I love how they allude to Carroll talking to Riley, like they are insinuating that Carroll is committing a recruiting violation. I also like the "Is believed to be". Is it or isn;t it? Or maybe it's Olympic Champion? Seems like the Times is more interested in finding some recruiting violation. What's next? They are going to tell us that Rick was seem at multiple Loyola games and seeing a high school game more then once is a recruiting violation?

Last edited by MrBug708 : 10-27-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #283
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm aware of how "national" the story is. I'm sure him being unhappy is something that is rather worrisome, but what is the worst that is going to happen? Our offense will stagnate? I'm sure Carroll is doing some extra laps in practice as we speak and UCLA is "handling it in house"

There is the Times article. I love how they allude to Carroll talking to Riley, like they are insinuating that Carroll is committing a recruiting violation. I also like the "Is believed to be". Is it or isn;t it? Or maybe it's Olympic Champion? Seems like the Times is more interested in finding some recruiting violation. What's next? They are going to tell us that Rick was seem at multiple Loyola games and seeing a high school game more then once is a recruiting violation?

Since you mention recruiting violations, there are rumors that Rick has committed another one by talking to a recruit immediately after his high school game. Of course, don't forget how he pissed off one of the local high schools a few weeks ago by flying in on his helicopter disrupting the game. Rick will get caught sooner or later

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-27-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... by flying in on his helicopter disrupting the game.

Must be a Cali thing, Kiffin used the same stunt in Atlanta a couple of weekends ago (except nobody got pissed, it went over pretty well actually)
Old 10-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #285
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Must be a Cali thing, Kiffin used the same stunt in Atlanta a couple of weekends ago (except nobody got pissed, it went over pretty well actually)

Gary Pinkel did the same thing two weeks ago. He flew in a helicopter to see Tyler Gabbert play. He also hopped to three other games to see three other players play the same night. It seemed to make a great impression. I'm not sure why it's a negative thing in California.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #286
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Gary Pinkel did the same thing two weeks ago. He flew in a helicopter to see Tyler Gabbert play. He also hopped to three other games to see three other players play the same night. It seemed to make a great impression. I'm not sure why it's a negative thing in California.

It normally isn't, but Rick reportedly flew in during the time the game was being played and caused such a disruption that the head coaches of the game told him to leave and refused to allow him on the field.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #287
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
It normally isn't, but Rick reportedly flew in during the time the game was being played and caused such a disruption that the head coaches of the game told him to leave and refused to allow him on the field.

Serious coaches I guess.

They stopped the game for a couple of minutes, the fans clapped for Pinkel, and then they resumed play.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #288
Passacaglia
Coordinator

What the hell did he want to go on the field for, anyway? Seems like he should have watched from the stands, or the sidelines.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 10-27-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #289
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Since you mention recruiting violations, there are rumors that Rick has committed another one by talking to a recruit immediately after his high school game. Of course, don't forget how he pissed off one of the local high schools a few weeks ago by flying in on his helicopter disrupting the game. Rick will get caught sooner or later

Nothing wrong with Rick seeing Loyola every week if he wants to. And he didn't piss off the school, contrary to popular belief. And I havent seen any rumors about that but feel free to post a link, I'm always curious to see what he's been up to
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #290
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

It's not really a problem. The helicopter kicked up some dust in the field next to the game so they waited for it to land.

He's been using the helicopter about 5 to 6 times. Just consider the source because they didn't ban him from coming on the field, just considered not letting him on. He also had been getting permission from the school (as well as the sheriff's department) to do so

Last edited by MrBug708 : 10-27-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #291
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

IMO I think Boise st, AND TCU both deserve BCS games if they win out. Its completely unfair that one could and most likely will get left out if they both go undefeated. It will be a travesty if Oregon wins out/ or wins the Pac 10 , Boise wins out, and then gets left out of a BCS game. Thats a very possible scenario, but hey the BCS blows goats.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #292
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
It's not really a problem. The helicopter kicked up some dust in the field next to the game so they waited for it to land.

He's been using the helicopter about 5 to 6 times. Just consider the source because they didn't ban him from coming on the field, just considered not letting him on. He also had been getting permission from the school (as well as the sheriff's department) to do so

Here is more actually

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2009...igh-flyby.html
Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #293
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
IMO I think Boise st, AND TCU both deserve BCS games if they win out. Its completely unfair that one could and most likely will get left out if they both go undefeated. It will be a travesty if Oregon wins out/ or wins the Pac 10 , Boise wins out, and then gets left out of a BCS game. Thats a very possible scenario, but hey the BCS blows goats.

This is why I pretty much ignore the so-called national champion anymore. The entire system is a sham. If Boise State plays a team like USC in a playoff game and gets blown out, then at least we know where they stand and how good they are. As the system stands right now, it is a joke.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #294
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa starting running back is out for the season.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #295
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is why I pretty much ignore the so-called national champion anymore. The entire system is a sham. If Boise State plays a team like USC in a playoff game and gets blown out, then at least we know where they stand and how good they are. As the system stands right now, it is a joke.
I really have no problem with Boise getting left out of a title game. An undefeated record is nice and all, and the win over Oregon is looking better and better, but IMO you need a win over more than one high level BCS team to justify a BCS title game berth.

How many people seriously think Boise could get through a major BCS conference schedule with less than 2 losses?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #296
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I really have no problem with Boise getting left out of a title game. An undefeated record is nice and all, and the win over Oregon is looking better and better, but IMO you need a win over more than one high level BCS team to justify a BCS title game berth.

How many people seriously think Boise could get through a major BCS conference schedule with less than 2 losses?

I agree on the first one - Boise shouldn't get into the BCS, or BCS Title game ahead of any other undefeated team, and most BCS conference 1-loss teams.

On the second point though - who knows? They haven't lost, so it's very difficult to determine how good they are. A bad strength of schedule definitely hurts your BCS chances, but its irrelevant in terms of how good a team actually is. Next year, both the team and the schedule look to be a somewhat better. If they can win a BCS bowl game this year, start next season with a top 5 rating, go undefeated again, they might get their chance in a title game. That's a lot of ifs, but I think most people in Idaho are just incredulous that we can even have this conversation. Boise State - it still feels weird seeing them ranked so high. I think most people here would be MORE than content with an undefeated season. The fan-base as a whole hasn't been overwhelmed by BCS whining/misery yet.

Last edited by molson : 10-27-2009 at 07:14 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #297
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Iowa starting running back is out for the season.

8-0!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #298
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
On the second point though - who knows? They haven't lost, so it's very difficult to determine how good they are.
I disagree - you can look at how close their games have been against the teams they've played. I think we can all agree that a very good team should beat a very bad team handily. Obviously things can happen - Stanford over USC in 2007 for example - but there's a difference between Boise going undefeated and waxing just about all of their WAC opponents vs. Boise going undefeated and having multiple very close games against those teams.

Quote:
Next year, both the team and the schedule look to be a somewhat better. If they can win a BCS bowl game this year, start next season with a top 5 rating, go undefeated again, they might get their chance in a title game.
I think next year's schedule is more legit for getting them into the BCS title game discussion if they go undefeated, especially if they go undefeated this year and win a BCS bowl game.

Fair or not, Boise doesn't get the benefit of the doubt due to their conference and they need an impeccable resume to overcome doubts about them. Your above scenario I think would do it - go undefeated this year and next and they will have earned enough credibility to be in the title game mix next year.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #299
duckman
Pro Starter

Dez Bryant was suspended for the rest of the season:

Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant remains suspended for rest of season - ESPN
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #300
BishopMVP
Coordinator

With the whole Locker debate, plus discussion about Terrelle Pryor, thought I'd throw this out.

QB A: 56.2% Completion Percentage 7.00 YPA 12/8 TD/INT 123.46 rating 207 rush yds

QB B: 55.4% Completion Percentage 7.65 YPA 12/9 TD/INT 131.45 rating 471 rush yds

Yet people are claiming Pryor (B) can't run a pro-style offense and touting Locker as a 1st round pick.