Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #251
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
CHief, have you read yourself on UCLA? You and Bug are so ridiculously over the top ( I want to CMU - my school won't qualify for the 3rd division) that this sounds like a pot calling the kettle black.

Do a search on me and UCLA. You will find me ripping the school constantly and being real about what it's doing at any given moment in time.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #252
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

CR is relatively reasonable when it comes to UCLA (as far as college football fans go).

Where CR tends to get into excessively vested territory is with the LAnaheim Angles...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #253
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I will defend CR here and say I don't think he is over the top with UCLA. I think it gets over the top when he and Bug go against EF in the whole UCLA-USC rivalry but that is natural. I remember times where people argued with CR and Bug for how hard they were on Ben Howland.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #254
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, I do agree he has some issues with the Angels. Overcompensating for the East Coast dominance iyam.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #255
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Common misperception even on USC boards. That 169 page document is USC's response from the initial allegations and was written in 09.

then ESPN has it wrong as that was what they were linking to on their site, guess it wouldn't suprise me ESPN can't tell the difference between a wildcat and a Sun Devil
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #256
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Hah... I see what you did there.

it's how I've always refered to them...kinda a habit now.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #257
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the support on the UCLA issue, guys.

I deny none of the allegations on the Angels, in so much as I am very defensive about them.

That said, I think more often than not, I am fairly realistic about them as well when I am assessing them or making commentary on my own about them. My defensiveness usually comes into play when others come at them.

Plus, since I am not a saber guy like many here, we often run askance of each other, which probably makes me look more combative than usual on all baseball issues.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #258
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, and I agree about EF27 and USC - he goes from sane, really informative and valuable poster on this board to completely blinded (and obnoxious) homer.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #259
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think you guys are being a little rough on EF27. I can tell you from personal experience that it is not fun when the school you love gets in trouble for breaking the rules. The natural reaction is to jump to your team's defense.

I find the Laker / Patriot fans to be the most insufferable on the board -- aside from MBBF, of course.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #260
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that it is not fun when the school you love gets in trouble for breaking the rules. The natural reaction is to jump to your team's defense.

Must be one of those "it depends" things ... I'm pretty sure that my reaction to the various incidents at GT have been mostly of the "fire the dumb SOB that did that" variety. And that's if I was feeling generous.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #261
MrBug708
Head Coach

I can't even remember the last time we have had a lakers discussion
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #262
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Must be one of those "it depends" things ... I'm pretty sure that my reaction to the various incidents at GT have been mostly of the "fire the dumb SOB that did that" variety. And that's if I was feeling generous.

Well, that too. I objected on this board the first day that Kelvin Sampson was hired at IU. But you still hate to see others bash your school, and feel obliged to defend it. I don't think you feel a stronger allegiance to any sports team than you do to the place you went to school... if you had a good experience there.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-11-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #263
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I can't even remember the last time we have had a lakers discussion

Honestly, I've barely paid attention to the NBA this year, so maybe it has subsided from past seasons. I will say that you are one of the people I was thinking of when I mentioned the Lakers.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #264
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think you guys are being a little rough on EF27. I can tell you from personal experience that it is not fun when the school you love gets in trouble for breaking the rules. The natural reaction is to jump to your team's defense.

I find the Laker / Patriot fans to be the most insufferable on the board -- aside from MBBF, of course.

To be fair, Kodos, if this rough time was the first time EF27 went off the rationality reservation with respect to USC, I would certainly agree with you.

That's not the case, though--he has a long history of a blind spot with respect to USC, and I don't mean just bias like a lot of us, I mean a serious blind spot. In fact, until cactusdave came along in this very thread, I had never seen anyone I mixed with regularly who was so blindly a Trojan fan as EF27.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #265
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Per ESPN's Joe Schad: USC says Dillon Baxter was contacted illegally by Florida, Oregon, Washington, Alabama and Fresno yesterday.

USC Trojans juniors, seniors can transfer without sitting - ESPN Los Angeles

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #266
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dillon Baxter turned in Florida, Washington, Oregon, Fresno State and Alabama turn USC's compliance director as all five schools illegally contacted him yesterday.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #267
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bested by a second.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #268
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Dillon Baxter turned in Florida, Washington, Oregon, Fresno State and Alabama turn USC's compliance director as all five schools illegally contacted him yesterday.

Sweet- I hope they actually, you know, do something to those schools, as well, if they were violating rules.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #269
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Oh, and where's the mea culpa from RainMaker who kept claiming the NCAA plays favorites and wouldn't dare hammer USC?

Lord knows I thought there was no chance of some penalty like this and I imagine the odds in Vegas or, at least, intrade didn't lean towards something this drastic.

SI

Old 06-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #270
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
One point I haven't seen mentioned - upperclassmen with 2 years or less of eligibility will be able to transfer to any school they want without having to sit out for a year like a transfer normally would. I know according to EF27's collection of quotes everyone is still a TrOjAn 4 LyFe!!!, but I wonder if any players will take advantage of the get out of jail free clause. It's a unique circumstance where they can literally shop around and see what BCS teams they could start for.

I thought this was a pretty stiff "stealth" penalty. If you're an upperclassman, you're gone, further decimating the program.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-11-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #271
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And now that we've dealt with one likely cheating program, imposing a penalty the likes of which we thought we'd never see again, can we do it across the board instead of just going after one random program that probably wasn't even the worst offender out there.

SI

Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #272
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Oh, and where's the mea culpa from RainMaker who kept claiming the NCAA plays favorites and wouldn't dare hammer USC?
I eat my words on it. I didn't think there was a chance in hell that they'd give them a postseason ban.

There is still heavy bias, but this is a step in the right direction.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #273
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Per ESPN's Joe Schad: USC says Dillon Baxter was contacted illegally by Florida, Oregon, Washington, Alabama and Fresno yesterday.

USC Trojans juniors, seniors can transfer without sitting - ESPN Los Angeles

What the hell were they thinking??! Im guessing they thought he wasnt enrolled in college yet? The only kids who can be contacted are JR/SR and incoming Frosh

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-11-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #274
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What the hell were they thinking??!

Which is why I'd be inclined to wait for a smoking gun before indicting any of the accused in this instance. I mean, this is a claim coming from a school where the AD thinks all of this just happened to them because everyone else is jealous. AND from a school with a head coach who is The Minister of Truth for Alleged Recruiting Violations.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #275
MrBug708
Head Coach

It would be even greater if it was a made up "woe is me" story by USC
Old 06-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #276
MrBug708
Head Coach

Florida and Oregon have denied making contact and Baxter has already "lost" his phone
Old 06-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #277
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This is a very interesting video, especially if those are legit transcripts:

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN59qxZmyLI

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-12-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #278
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
This is a very interesting video, especially if those are legit transcripts:

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN59qxZmyLI

I don't think I could sit through 10:58 of that music even if it had Jennifer Aniston, Halle Berry, and Megan Fox going at it with each other.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #279
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I don't think I could sit through 10:58 of that music even if it had Jennifer Aniston, Halle Berry, and Megan Fox going at it with each other.

I agree that the music was terrible.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #280
bronconick
College Starter

Offhand, reading that article, I'm struck by the fact that the chair of the NCAA committee on this is Paul Dee. Is that why the punishment looks so close to Miami's from the mid 90's?

Last edited by bronconick : 06-12-2010 at 09:49 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #281
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Agreed but if it was Kate Beckinsale Jennifer Love Hewitt and Scarlett Johanson I sure as hell could!!!!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #282
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Florida and Oregon have denied making contact and Baxter has already "lost" his phone

Isn't that convenient? Imagine that, a coach makes false accusations against other programs claiming cheating is going on and he can't back it up.

You know what USC, this is VERY simple. Have the boy get the cell phone records and show where there were calls made from Alabama, Oregon, Florida and anyone else you want to accuse of cheating.

If they can't do that, the NCAA should extend their penalties.

I cheered for USC in the games against OU and Texas. They weren't my favorite team by a long shot, but I enjoyed watching them play and certainly liked them better than a lot of top programs.

Honestly, unless they have a complete and total purge of their athletic department, I don't think I'll ever cheer for them again in any sport against any team. It'll pain me to cheer for the Irish, but I'll even do that.

I'm completely disgusted by the actions of their administration right now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #283
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Isn't that convenient? Imagine that, a coach makes false accusations against other programs claiming cheating is going on and he can't back it up.

You know what USC, this is VERY simple. Have the boy get the cell phone records and show where there were calls made from Alabama, Oregon, Florida and anyone else you want to accuse of cheating.

I cheered for USC in the games against OU and Texas. They weren't my favorite team by a long shot, but I enjoyed watching them play and certainly liked them better than a lot of top programs.

Honestly, unless they have a complete and total purge of their athletic department, I don't think I'll ever cheer for them again in any sport against any team. It'll pain me to cheer for the Irish, but I'll even do that.

If it is true that he "lost" his phone and USC can't prove these allegations, I agree that whoever is responsible (MG?) needs to be fired right now.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #284
MrBug708
Head Coach

What if the phone was a pay per use phone?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #285
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What if the phone was accidentally left at the 750K home his parent(s) are "renting."
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #286
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Or in his girlfriend's boss's SUV.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #287
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

The more this goes on, the less sympathy I have for USC. I respect Eaglefan27 a whole lot, but I think he might be defending the wrong group here. USC, from what i have seen, are not only guilty, but out of touch with reality at this point. Jealious of being a Trojan? That is the kind of stupid, myopic crap I'd expect out of a Bama fan. I would think an intellegent, educated indiviual would see the problem here and be more interested in correcting it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FOOTBALL Recruiting: It’s UGA or FSU for former AJC Super 11 linebacker transferring from Southern Cal (UPDATED) | Prep Zone: High School Sports

Former AJC Super 11 member Jarvis Jones, who was granted a scholarship release from Southern Cal coach Lane Kiffin, will transfer to UGA or Florida State.

Also
Southern Cal freshman-to-be, WR Markeith Ambles of Henry County, is thinking about transferring and a decision could come in the next day or two, according to GAVarsity’s Brendan Cosgrove. Ambles enrolled early at USC in January. Georgia Tech offered Ambles out of high school, while UGA did not.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #289
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FOOTBALL Recruiting: It’s UGA or FSU for former AJC Super 11 linebacker transferring from Southern Cal (UPDATED) | Prep Zone: High School Sports

Former AJC Super 11 member Jarvis Jones, who was granted a scholarship release from Southern Cal coach Lane Kiffin, will transfer to UGA or Florida State.

Also
Southern Cal freshman-to-be, WR Markeith Ambles of Henry County, is thinking about transferring and a decision could come in the next day or two, according to GAVarsity’s Brendan Cosgrove. Ambles enrolled early at USC in January. Georgia Tech offered Ambles out of high school, while UGA did not.

Jarvis Jones was released before the sanctions came out. USC wouldn't clear him medically due to a neck injury, so he asked for and was given his release.

Markeith Ambles did not enroll early. He is not enrolling for a few more weeks. All of his quotes were very pro USC on Friday, but I wouldn't be shocked if he changed his mind as he thought about it more.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #290
MrBug708
Head Coach

Isn't Ambles the kid who wanted to be a Trojan? Wasn't he also the lowest ranked WR that Kiffin is bringing in?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #291
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Isn't Ambles the kid who wanted to be a Trojan? Wasn't he also the lowest ranked WR that Kiffin is bringing in?

Yes, he had several quotes about how he couldn't wait to get to campus. He was a 5 star WR per Rivals but yeah he was the lowest ranked I believe.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #292
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of commits. Max Wittek and Blackwell both reiterated after a passing camp today that they are committed to USC.

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Wittek, Blackwell shine at Air Strike
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #293
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Subsequently I've found where Ambles told Jamie Newberg that he's staying, FWIW.

GAVarsity.com - Ambles plans to stay at Southern Cal

{shrug} We'll see, just like we always end up having to wait to see what players really do or don't do.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #294
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes, he had several quotes about how he couldn't wait to get to campus. He was a 5 star WR per Rivals but yeah he was the lowest ranked I believe.

Need to open up some scholarships

Which of Wittik or Kessler do you think bails?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #295
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Here is the 2nd part of that video. IF this is real, I don't see how USC doesn't get the penalties reduced on appeal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOLSyWf7mm0

Edit: Oh yeah, same horrible music. I just turned the volume down

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-13-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #296
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im sure its real, but you are discounting the fact that USC wasn't cooperative and is still being an ass about everything AND Todd McNair lied to the NCAA.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #297
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Im sure its real, but you are discounting the fact that USC wasn't cooperative and is still being an ass about everything AND Todd McNair lied to the NCAA.

The whole point of the videos is that Todd McNair may not have lied and the NCAA led Lake and his testimony was full of contradictions without USC being there to witness his testimony. I love the part where he says "oh shit." Great star witness.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #298
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's not a court case, they don't have to allow USC to cross examine McNair and the fact that USC feels they should be shows more of their arrogance

Why do you think Todd McNair still has a job? Previous conviction of a crime, implemented in such a huge recruiting scandal and the main reason why USC has the sanctions that they do?

One of the instances where McNair has lied

Quote:
2 The assistant football claimed that, after the party, he stayed at the San Diego home of a former NFL teammate. That teammate was interviewed by the enforcement staff and said that he was not aware that the assistant football coach was going to attend the party, but he "ran into" the assistant coach at the function. He confirmed that he drove the assistant coach to his home after the party. In this interview, the teammate did not mention the associate being with the assistant football coach. The teammate was interviewed a second time by the institution and the attorney for the assistant football coach. In the second interview, the teammate said that he arranged for the assistant coach to obtain tickets to the party and that the assistant coach was accompanied by the associate. [Note: Admission to the party was by pre-paid tickets only.]

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-13-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #299
MrBug708
Head Coach

Also what is working against USC's favor is that they didn't self report nor did they investigate the issues with much interest once they came to light

As for the appeals, the appeal is to a two person panel that is part of the Infractions Committee. In every violations case, two members of the infraction committee do not participate, and the institution can then appeal to those two members. But they are representatives of the NCAA just like the Infractions committee, so there is no reason to suspect that they would be favorably disposed to reducing the sanctions.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-13-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #300
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So, has Kiffin learned yet that 'irony' isn't what Layla does to his clothes?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote