Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #251
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Mason's doing a great job coaching at Ohio State, though.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #252
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
You two must have missed the years after Lou Holtz left. They were a complete joke for around 10-12 years until Mason got them back to an average big 10 team. Mason may not have been the answer but it was a hell of a lot better being in games and not losing to FCS schools IMO. Now we have to worry about beating the Dakota schools. Pretty sad state of affair for a Big 10 team.

First, we weren't an average Big Ten team under Mason, unless a .400 winning percentage, a poor record against rivals and 3 wins over teams with winning conference records is average. Yeah, the 4 seasons since he was let go have been bad. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't have been let go though. And I think the complete lack of interest other schools with openings have had in Mason says a lot too.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-20-2010 at 09:53 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #253
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
First, we weren't an average Big Ten team under Mason, unless a .400 winning percentage, a poor record against rivals and 3 wins over teams with winning conference records is average. Yeah, the 4 seasons since he was let go have been bad. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't have been let go though.

The 4 seasons after he left and the 10-12 season before him were BAD.(much worse than it was with Mason) Perhaps its possible that winning in Minnesota isnt as easy as the fans think?

Yes, I think they can get to the levels of Wisky and Iowa with the right coach but we shouldnt pretend that its a top job in the country. I dont even know if I was born the last time they made a Rose Bowl.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #254
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
The 4 seasons after he left and the 10-12 season before him were BAD.(much worse than it was with Mason)

Yep, they were bad. Doesn't mean firing Mason was the wrong decision. Just like it won't have been the wrong decision to fire Brewster even if Jerry Kill goes winless for the next three seasons.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #255
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I dont even know if I was born the last time they made a Rose Bowl.

Well, were you born before 1962?
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #256
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Well, were you born before 1962?

No; Thanks for looking that up. I had no idea but I knew it hasnt happened since I started following them in around 1985.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #257
Atocep
Coordinator

Pitt hires 74 year old Morris Watts as their OC.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #258
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
The 4 seasons after he left and the 10-12 season before him were BAD.(much worse than it was with Mason) Perhaps its possible that winning in Minnesota isnt as easy as the fans think?

Yes, I think they can get to the levels of Wisky and Iowa with the right coach but we shouldnt pretend that its a top job in the country. I dont even know if I was born the last time they made a Rose Bowl.

Yeah, Sov. You may get to the level of Iowa. Maybe.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #259
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

And the cries for Wannstedt's return begin..................................................................................................................................................................now.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #260
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Yeah, Sov. You may get to the level of Iowa. Maybe.

Cuz Iowa is an uber program that wins titles right?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #261
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Matt Cavanaugh is 54 and there's no way Watts can be any worse than he was. Gonna miss Cignetti, though.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #262
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
This is what came to mind for me:

94 Year-old OC! - Front Office Football Central
Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #263
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BYU has basically fired the bulk of their offensive staff...although they aren't stating it...they have been told they are able to apply for their positions again...

With this said...

I think Anae is gone as OC...I think he heads to Maryland with Leach...

Doman will be promoted to OC
Cahoon comes from the CFL as one of their best WR's ever and becomes WR's coach (Which is actually)

Chad Lewis was hired by the school earlier this month, I think he becomes the TE's coach.

It's going to be an interesting off season at BYU
Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #264
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Cuz Iowa is an uber program that wins titles right?

He is likely under the false impression that this will continue in the future after Ferentz moves on.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #265
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
BYU has basically fired the bulk of their offensive staff...although they aren't stating it...they have been told they are able to apply for their positions again...

With this said...

I think Anae is gone as OC...I think he heads to Maryland with Leach...

Doman will be promoted to OC
Cahoon comes from the CFL as one of their best WR's ever and becomes WR's coach (Which is actually)

Chad Lewis was hired by the school earlier this month, I think he becomes the TE's coach.

I did see a small blurb that maybe Chow would go to BYU as OC
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #266
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

There are gonna be a lot of coaches on the sidelines for the Texas-BYU game that are in only their second game with a new team.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #267
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Under two weeks until the Michigan situation is finally resolved.

The only thing concrete right now is that the one Rivals guy who won't go on the record with almost anything has basically said Hoke is not an option and that a big NFL name has contacted UM about the job (My guess is Cam Cameron. God help me)

There are a few NFL names that UM wants apparently, but neither will come here (rumored: Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh). At least it shows that (if true) they have high aspirations.

A consensus between the Scout/Rivals guys is that the Harbaugh camp has made it known Jim wants to be here, and he also wants to be the highest paid coach in the Big Ten. That is pretty much a given considering Ferentz is currently the highest paid at 3.2 mil. I'd suspect Harbaugh gets 3.3 - 3.5 if he got the job, but there are a lot of big time donors who aren't thrilled with Harbaugh's past so that is a potential roadblock.

I can't wait for this nonsense to end.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #268
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I can't wait for this nonsense to end.

+1
Old 12-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #269
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
(My guess is Cam Cameron. God help me)

I'm scared. I absolutely can't see this happening at all, but just the mention of it has me scared.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #270
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't know if he qualifies as a big NFL name, but I wonder if it is Mariucci. I could see him having some of the same qualities that made Pete Carroll appealing to recruits and college kids.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #271
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I don't know if he qualifies as a big NFL name, but I wonder if it is Mariucci. I could see him having some of the same qualities that made Pete Carroll appealing to recruits and college kids.

He has college ties but his best friend is Tom Izzo. I don't see him ever at Michigan even though he is from the state. Agreed though that he could be a tremendous college coach. I know he was at Cal a short time. If we got Harbaugh Mooch seems like a good fit at Stanford to be honest.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #272
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I'm scared. I absolutely can't see this happening at all, but just the mention of it has me scared.

I shuddered just typing it.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #273
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
...but there are a lot of big time donors who aren't thrilled with Harbaugh's past so that is a potential roadblock.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I can't believe there would be Michigan fans that wouldn't want to do everything in their power to bring in Jim Harbaugh.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #274
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I can't believe there would be Michigan fans that wouldn't want to do everything in their power to bring in Jim Harbaugh.

He pissed a llot of donors off a few years ago when he said kids get put into BS degrees at Michigan to play football then the alumn don't hire them when they graduate and aren't in the NFL (which is untrue).

I can understand why some are pissed, but the huge Michigan donors are always pissed about something. They are never happy. Ever.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #275
tarcone
Coordinator

My post was sarcastic. I hope Minnesota fans aspire to greater heights then ferentz and Iowa have achieved so far. A couple 11 win seasons are nice, but I want 13 wins.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #276
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Like paying kids to play?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #277
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I was thinking more about his charisma, enthusiasm, and ability, as an adult, to relate well to HS and college kids. I suspect Mariucci has a lot of those characteristics, as well (I'm guessing on the relating well to youngsters from his television appearances).

I'm not a fan of Carroll, but I can still appreciate the skill set that he has/had, at USC, that made him a good coach.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #278
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He pissed a llot of donors off a few years ago when he said kids get put into BS degrees at Michigan to play football then the alumn don't hire them when they graduate and aren't in the NFL (which is untrue).

I can understand why some are pissed, but the huge Michigan donors are always pissed about something. They are never happy. Ever.
Yeah, I knew about that quote. I was hoping there was something more, because being pissed-off about that quote is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Those boosters need to grow up and get a little perspective.

Harbaugh is a blunt guy unafraid to piss people off, and he's got a major chip on his shoulders. But that's also part of what makes him great is his intense drive and competitiveness. If he ends up at Michigan, he'll probably piss off more than a few people at fellow Big "Ten" schools, but he'll also have Michigan playing for a National Championship within 4 years.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #279
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This is a hell of a stretch.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #280
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I knew about that quote. I was hoping there was something more, because being pissed-off about that quote is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Those boosters need to grow up and get a little perspective.

Harbaugh is a blunt guy unafraid to piss people off, and he's got a major chip on his shoulders. But that's also part of what makes him great is his intense drive and competitiveness. If he ends up at Michigan, he'll probably piss off more than a few people at fellow Big "Ten" schools, but he'll also have Michigan playing for a National Championship within 4 years.

Yep. People I think are pissed at his hypocrisy as half of the Stanford team has the same equivalent of a major as UM's kinesiology program. It sounds like it is a smaller side of the donors though. There are factions all over. Al Glick, who donated the money that built our amazing new field house is leading the charge for Rich Rod to stay but he seems like the most powerful person in that group and it is shrinking fast.

At this point the belief is Brandon has the okay from the president and trustees to hire Harbaugh. Now we have to see if that is the way he goes.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #281
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
This is a hell of a stretch.

You must be new here. Welcome to FOFC, take a look around and introduce yourself. Oh, and watch out for that Rainmaker fella....
Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #282
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You must be new here. Welcome to FOFC, take a look around and introduce yourself. Oh, and watch out for that Rainmaker fella....
Oh, I'm well aware of his love of underdogs and corresponding distaste for the big programs.

I think Pete was guilty of running a loose ship and turning his head the other way when questionable stuff was going on around him, but I think it's a huge leap to conclude that he was actively involved in paying players.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #283
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, I'm well aware of his love of underdogs and corresponding distaste for the big programs.

I think Pete was guilty of running a loose ship and turning his head the other way when questionable stuff was going on around him, but I think it's a huge leap to conclude that he was actively involved in paying players.

Agreed. I would accuse Petey of more Head In the Sand approach than anything else.

Of course, that doesn't mean players at USC weren't paid by someone.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #284
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
(My guess is Cam Cameron. God help me)

I picked my brain to make sure he is the guy I was thinking about. Yep. Best year at Indiana was 5-6 for 4th in the Big Ten. I know it's Indiana and next to nothing is expected from there, but if you can't even put up on winning season, let alone record, then just hell no.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #285
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I picked my brain to make sure he is the guy I was thinking about. Yep. Best year at Indiana was 5-6 for 4th in the Big Ten. I know it's Indiana and next to nothing is expected from there, but if you can't even put up on winning season, let alone record, then just hell no.

I think he also had Randle-El then.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #286
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Agreed. I would accuse Petey of more Head In the Sand approach than anything else.

Pretty much where I am at. He also appears to still have his head in the sand in Seattle.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #287
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, there was some guy by the name of Reggie Bush that was getting paid by wannabe agents...

I'm sure there's more than that going on, but then again, I'm sure there's some level of payment of star players at quite a few schools. Pretty hard to keep all boosters and agents away from these kids, especially the ones that come from poverty.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #288
Atocep
Coordinator

Leach to Maryland is becoming more and more unlikely. Their donors and fans want him, but the school president and academics are against hiring him.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #289
Atocep
Coordinator

Dola

Maryland also wants Leach to drop his lawsuit against ESPN if they do hire him.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #291
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ty Willingham, is that you? Heh.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #292
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
So...what you're saying is that Maryland made an idiotic move with a half-assed, at best, plan for a gimmick coach and now they're going back into oblivion where they belong? Good. They deserve it for how they've treated the coach who saved the freaking program.

If you hold on a couple weeks, RichRod might be available.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #293
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
If you hold on a couple weeks, RichRod might be available.

Raise him up

Old 12-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #294
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think Phil Fulmer or Cam Cameron might be interested!
Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #295
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
So...what you're saying is that Maryland made an idiotic move with a half-assed, at best, plan for a gimmick coach and now they're going back into oblivion where they belong? Good. They deserve it for how they've treated the coach who saved the freaking program.
Maryland's athletic department is a joke, but you're really going to claim Friedgen saved the program? He had a great couple years (with a different coaches' recruits), but MD was a middling afterthought before Friedgen arrived and with their apparent refusal of Mike Leach they appear well on their way to continuing to be a middling afterthought now.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-24-2010 at 02:27 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:35 AM   #296
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Maryland's athletic department is a joke

Based on the info coming out on why the hire hasn't been announced yet when it was supposed to be done this definitely seems to be true.

I don't understand why the president would get involved in the hire when he just hired a new athletic director a couple months ago. You hire a guy to make the decisions on which coaches to hire. If the AD doesn't win this battle I don't see how he can stay at Maryland long.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #298
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
If you're Maryland you just don't make this move without a clear, slam dunk replacement lined up.

Uh, how would Maryland do this exactly? I mean, get a clear, slam dunk replacement lined up?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #300
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I was thinking more about his charisma, enthusiasm, and ability, as an adult, to relate well to HS and college kids. I suspect Mariucci has a lot of those characteristics, as well (I'm guessing on the relating well to youngsters from his television appearances).

I'm not a fan of Carroll, but I can still appreciate the skill set that he has/had, at USC, that made him a good coach.
I would agree. I actually think those are some of the reasons that would make Gruden a great college football coach. I mean if you're a high school kid, wouldn't you want to play for him?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote