Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #251
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's generally what people prefer, especially for good coffee.

Yup. And McDonald's (and other places) will still get complaints that the coffee was "cold" because of how long someone took to drink it.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #252
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
What was egregious was hundreds upon hundreds of complaints, internal memos indicating that the coffee was too hot, and a completely ignoring of all of that. As long as they got their money, who cares about customer complaints? I mean it wasn't like anyone was going to make them not be negligent. And it wasn't like anyone was really going to successfully sue over it... until they did. And to think, all she wanted was her medical bills paid for. Then again, $600,000 isn't much at all to a company like McDonald's.

When are the steakhouses going to start removing the sharp knives? If I burn my tongue on the sizzling hot steak / fajitas / soup, can I sue, too?

People who drink coffee know that if you spill it on you, it can hurt you. And people who drink coffee HATE it when it cools off. I'll wager right now that McDonald's gets far more complaints about cold coffee than they do hot coffee (no way to tell for sure, though, as no one ever sues over it, they just bring it back to the counter, complain, and get another).

Heck, she was probably in more danger riding around in the car she was in than she was from the coffee. She was just more careless with one than with the other.

We can't make everything safe, no one at McDonald's spilled this on her, it was a stupid verdict then, it's a stupid verdict now.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #253
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
"I will hire the next coach," McKenzie said, after announcing Tony Sparano as the team's interim coach

Reggie McKenzie: I will hire Raiders' next coach - NFL.com

This guy is lucky if he lasts the season.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #254
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Something wrong when something you serve causes these types of injuries:

Jack Calvert: Stella Liebeck's injuries

If it needs to be served that hot, then perhaps McDonald's should've taken the time to investigate a better container for the product after seven hundred other people complained.

In other news, hundreds of lawyers explain that the big hole in the console is for change and trash, not drinks...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #255
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
At some point I probably ought to go back through this thread & figure out how coffee ended up being an NFL issue.

So far, however, I have not reached that point.

LOL - I did that earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Regarding the Seattle/Kansas City competition for loudest stadium: isn't this a lawsuit waiting to happen? We are a society of Stellaliebecks, if nothing else.

It appears to also be MBBF-inspired
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #256
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

FCC Mulls Banning Redskins Name

Alright this is really going too far IMO. Are we suppose to start banning every word that someone in this nation of 300+ million people find offensive? I really shudder at what this could open the door to.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #257
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Alright this is really going too far IMO. Are we suppose to start banning every word that someone in this nation of 300+ million people find offensive? I really shudder at what this could open the door to.

Cowboys will likely be next.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #258
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Do I think it should be banned? No, I don't. But I doubt this gets any play at all if it was something white Christians wanted to ban. There'd be no outrage.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #259
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Do you have a problem with Keurig and Starbucks and all of the other companies that serve coffee (or recommend that it be brewed at home) at up to 185 degrees, which is still the standard serving temperature today? (Keurig brewers actually can go higher than that)

I'd think Starbucks may want to be careful is they do so, esp in drive thru, (though I do purchase Starbucks frequently, and it is rare so hot), especially since during the Liebeck trial, McDonald's quality control manager said that someone should NOT be drinking coffee if it was over 180 F because it would burn someone's mouth and throat (McDonald's entire argument was that people don't drink the coffee right away, but when they get to where they are going to - hence it had to be so hot so it'd be warm when they got there. This argument was actually refuted by McD's own internal research indicating that people drank it right away). This is literally on tape when they were deposed in the case.

And the judge who reduced the award called McDonald's behavior "willful" and "reckless". So it wasn't just 12 (unanimous) bumpkins in Albuquerque who were bamboozled by the fancy lawyer (as if McD's legal department isn't far more well supported and fancy).

As for Keurig, open air mugs (which is what the device is designed for) cool very quickly (remember also the mug its going into is usually fairly cool as well - people aren't brewing Keurigs into paper or styrofoam cups). There are tons of complaints on Keurig boards saying they brewed it at 195, but then took a thermometer and it was 175 or something. From experience (I own a Keurig), it is not very hot at all after brewing.

Also, I think people tend to think differently when they actually see pictures of the burn damage as well. It was 3rd degree burns requiring skin grafts. It'll turn your stomach. That's what these temperatures can do and McD's received hundreds of complaints about burns and did nothing. It's own people didn't think you should drink the coffee right away.

Oh, also, once again a lot of comments out of ignorance of the facts. She wasn't driving - she was in the passenger's seat and the car was stopped. She was putting cream and sugar in the coffee. You will note that McD's now puts cream and sugar in their coffee themselves (even have a nifty machine that puts exactly one serving of cream in for every pump).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-30-2014 at 09:26 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote