Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #2951
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by remper View Post
Dola

Also, I had a question about the game as well. I'm getting messages from various players about there being a "lack of harmony" in the club. Anyone lead me to how/where I might look to see what's causing this lack of harmony? We're performing well and everyone's morale is very good or superb on the field...

You would find it under the player's "personal" tab. Likely some guys are settling in well with the club or upset at not getting enough playing time or upset at some comment you made in a press conference.

They are a sensitive lot for the most part.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #2952
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm trying my hand as a BSS manager. I just got a contract demand that included a signing bonus of $3. I'm offering $1.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #2953
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm just stopping by this thread to point out that this is the greatest sports simulation game I have ever played. I'm not a huge soccer fan and will likely continue to not be, but this game has me hooked.

Really, I think I would play any sports simulation this company makes: Australian football, rugby, etc.. Maybe they could spend some time on an AMERICAN FOOTBALL game. I would play the hell out of that. In fact, this question still plagues me... Why can't we get a simulation of american football of this quality? I just can't believe there would be no market for it.

I've already said that if that came to pass I'd likely become a hermit and never leave my house.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #2954
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

The best part is - my brother just got the game working on his Mac (knock on wood it stays working). The kid is 15. Prime age for joystick-jockeying. And he's frigging hooked already. He was playing like all last night as Sevilla and he's already obsessed. I got random messages all night on facebook from him or whatever cursing about his team already, or telling me to look in the game at a player he just signed.

It's awesome!!!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-14-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #2955
Anthony
Banned

i would LOVE for SI to make a football game or even a basketball game. probably basketball would come sooner since it has more of an international appeal. makes me sad that the best text sim company makes a game on a sport i don't like.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #2956
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Dola

Also, I had a question about the game as well. I'm getting messages from various players about there being a "lack of harmony" in the club. Anyone lead me to how/where I might look to see what's causing this lack of harmony? We're performing well and everyone's morale is very good or superb on the field...

It's usually my players not liking how I (well, my assman) talk to them in the team talks
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #2957
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
It's usually my players not liking how I (well, my assman) talk to them in the team talks

Yeah. Sometimes I forget to do a team talk after a win. It's totally an accident, I go to stats first and then click out of the match without talking... Boy, does that get their panties in a bunch.

Boohoo, you're not giving the team enough credit!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #2958
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I always set it to AssMan doing the team talks and press conferences. My biggest problem (at least when I come into a new team before I've streamlined it) is players who think they're deserving of time that aren't playing. Once I get them sold I'm usually alright.

(As long as we're not "underachieving" in league play. Which, btw, might be one of the more annoying features of managing a large club - a couple times I'm down in 6th or 7th because I'm short 2-3 matches in the first half due to ECC and Cup play, and my players and the media start talking about underachieving in league - despite being 1st or 2nd in points per match.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-14-2010 at 01:10 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #2959
Radii
Head Coach

I have a contract re-negotiation question. In 2010/2011 I signed a DC on a free transfer to woking in the blue square premier league. He demanded $1300/wk, which made him my highest paid player. Seemed worth it, my defense was a wreck, and he has done very well for me, started every game he's been available, he's listed as a key player, and his morale is generally good.

Now i'm in December of 2011, his contract, like many on the team, expires at the end of the season (June 2012). I look to see what his contract demands are... $650/wk. He's asking for his appearance fee to go up $50 per match. He's 32 years old but his stats aren't declining in any way yet. Why is he willing to have his salary slashed in half? Actually, instead of why, I guess i'm asking is this a potential exploit that I might want house rules for?

Another player is listed as a first teamer, and he plays in over 75% of my matches. He's only 22 though. He's making $1000/wk now, and is asking for $650/wk in his new contract. He does want me to double his appearance fee, but still... re-signing these guys at such a reasonable rate would get me out of a small bit of over-budget trouble I'm in but it seems a little too easy.

thoughts? I do have some other players in the $900-$1100 per week range and they aren't all willing to take pay cuts, just these two.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #2960
atatange1
High School JV

Yeah, I set my team talks and press conferences to the assman. However, I forgot to do this and a bunch of them got the [slt] not enough credit issue in the Pre-Season!
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #2961
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm trying my hand as a BSS manager. I just got a contract demand that included a signing bonus of $3. I'm offering $1.

I love this conversation.

Striker: "I'll sign with you, but lunch at McDonald's is on you."
JPhillips: "Only if you use the dollar menu."
Striker: "Sorry, I'll go with Bath City."
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #2962
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
I love this conversation.

Striker: "I'll sign with you, but lunch at McDonald's is on you."
JPhillips: "Only if you use the dollar menu."
Striker: "Sorry, I'll go with Bath City."

haha awesome.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #2963
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Six games into my BSS career and I have a whopping seven points. In those six games I've had a GK own goal, given up a penalty kick in four games, and missed a penalty kick.

I feel really snake bitten right now.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #2964
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Gotta love those LLM growing pains.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #2965
Warhammer
Pro Starter

You also gotta love when a team finally gels after you get a stud back from injury.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #2966
Warhammer
Pro Starter

8 Games left in the Championship, 3 teams tied with 71 points, one at 69, and two more at 67. We've got 'em smoked on the GD after going 1-0, 6-0, 4-0 in our last 3.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #2967
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I guess i'm asking is this a potential exploit that I might want house rules for?

I'd have to look at the full situation to know if its an exploit or not, I'd expect that they're not to be honest and I'll try and give some likely explanations (do bear in mind this is largely conjecture as I don't know the full situation at your club).

First conjecture - you're waaaaayyyyy over budget and leaking money? - this will mean that highly paid loyal players are likely to at least consider a pay-cut, especially if they feel they want to stay or are unlikely to find another position elsewhere.

If this is the case then you can use this opportunity to quantify players personalities and loyalty to the club to some extent, which players are refusing to resign and sticking to large demands? - they're ambitious and/or selfish, which ones are accepting lesser offers? - they're likely loyal and/or insecure about their abilities (and thus will accept low wages rather than retire as footballers and go work in a different field).

Secondly with the older player is he asking for an extension on his contract or does he possibly feel at his age you might consider 'trimming' him from the squad in order to reduce the wage bill? - its likely that he wants to stay in football and is planning to train as a coach/manager - thats an easier thing to undertake if he's still working in the world of football rather than if he's working in Walmart and coming in part-time for coaching (often clubs will let players studying for badges participate with coaching for their youth sides if they're already active at the clubs etc.).

Lower league football is a strange beast both in real-life and in the game, contracts especially can be an odd bunch - I recall one player around 10 years ago who had been approached by a bunch of Premiership clubs but was refusing to leave his part-time semi-pro side because his 'real job' was as a doctor and he didn't want to leave that career to attempt to become a footballer full-time (try coding that into the game - we did, he had a special happiness status I seem to recall although I forget the name of the player in question), also bear in mind that some players might already be minted if they played in the upper divisions - in such cases some will be lax regarding contracts (as they don't need the money) while some won't have saved during their career peak and be trying to milk out a few last crumbs .... you'll see all sorts in the basement leagues ...

PS - Other oddities you used to see a lot more frequently were semi-pro players who were Pro's that had 'retired' due to injury and weren't allowed to play at a professional level any more because of legal reasons, these quite regularly used to be in 'division winning' sides on a regular basis but then have to move to a new club once their existing one was promoted. This is rarer today than it used to be as most such players are already rich and no longer required to continue playing to make ends meet.
PPS - Sorry for the long post; didn't realise I'd waffled on quite that much

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-14-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #2968
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
PPS - Sorry for the long post; didn't realise I'd waffled on quite that much

Not at all, the insights are awesome and are really appreciated!

I'm 7% over budget (13,000 budget, I'm at 13,927). A 32 year old as my highest paid player would certainly have reason to believe I'd let him go. The other guy is young and fairly decent, but is actually at the top of my list of players to give away to get back under budget if I needed to. I suppose he doesn't know that yet but he's had a couple cold stretches and the fans have been quick to call him out.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #2969
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Marc: I was wondering about the lower level players that likely won't ever make it very far. Do you hear from any of them that are excited about being in FM?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #2970
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Marc: I was wondering about the lower level players that likely won't ever make it very far. Do you hear from any of them that are excited about being in FM?

Living 4000 miles away from the main office I miss a lot of the 'gossip' and random stuff which happens in-house now, but we've had some cool stuff in the past with players contacting us about being in the game and emails saying its made their day to find themselves in the squad (quite often from youth players coming up into a pro club).

One of the nicest ones I've had personally was ages ago, about 2000/2001 - our current game was being featured on a 'breakfast show' in England (Big Breakfast I think it was, the one set in the fake house) and myself and Kev from SI went along to set up the computer and generally ensure it all stayed stable for the show. It was fascinating watching how they went about things and watching some of the ego's swanning around the place, anyway the chap who was doing the footy part the game was shown in was a somewhat aging pro and I remember discussing the game with him and was surprised at how knowledgable about it he was (especially in the area of his own in-game stats which unsurprisingly he'd have liked to be higher ).

We also had a cool report back after Keegan left the England setup, Peter Taylor took charge for a few games and brought in a load of young kids to the international side and apparently for one of the matches against England the Italy manager didn't recognize any of the English lineup so one of his players showed him the players strengths and weaknesses using the game

*This was back in the days when we used to sneak all of us developers into the game as really really really bad players
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #2971
digamma
Torchbearer

Two questions:

1. I ended up signing a player on transfer close to the end of his season long loan to me. When I did, the game treated him as a new player, asking me if I wanted a press conference to unveil him. It also reset his stats to 0 for the season. Do I lose any coherence value he had from playing the entire season with us?

2. Other than looking for players, is there anything else I should be doing during the May and June time period? We finished up in the middle of the standings, and have no other matches, etc.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #2972
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I love getting suspended and watching the next game. I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong, but sometimes it seems that the guys go out there and really play with fire after you get suspended (provided it was a clear reason for being suspended).
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #2973
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I had a phenomenal night last night with San Marino.

Allow me to share my success.

Now when last we left off, I had gotten San Marino promoted to Serie B in 2012-2013 season on the back of some exciting attacking football and a lot of loan signings. As noted before, a late swoon at the end of the season (really the last like half-dozen games) saw us drop from 10th place to 15th place.

In the offseason I managed to bring back several of the Fiorentina (my parent club) players on loan who had done so well for me, including my leading scorer and a dynamic wing player, Odion Ighalo and Federico Carraro. I also picked up several more great newgen loan-in's: Alessandro Barba returned for a second year from Fiorentina to anchor the defense at the age of 20, a young Italian (5.5mil value at age 20) named Nicola Parisi from Sampdoria at the key AM RL spots, and a young Spaniard AMR named Jose Luis.

Couple this with my signing of cast-off Alessio Curcio, a 23-year old ex-Juventus striker, and the fact that so far I'd been able to keep Gaston Brugman (21 year-old Uruguayan AM R), and Nicholas Gorobsov, a 23 year-old Argentine AM RL with a penchant for cutting inside from the wing and scoring key goals), along with the capture of ex-Boca and ex-Barcelona (in my game) flamed-out frontman Gabriel Rodriguez (24 year-old Argentine), and the team was looking good.

Signing Rodriguez may have been an error in hindsight, as his foreign-player status constrained me from going after another strong central midfield dynamo somewhat, and he didn't look to start.

But I was able to acquire on a free-transfer, 31 year-old Michele Pazienza (1.5m value) to do some of the heavy lifting in midfield, along with 22 year old Italian Roberto Soriano (1.7m value).

I despaired at resigning my MVP from last year, Reginal Goreux, a 25 year-old 1.4m-valued Belgian D/WB/AM R. His marauding runs down the flank, combined with the play of the AM R in front of him simply carved up defenses at this level, but he wanted 500k/yr (when my top wage earners were getting 275k, and only 3 at that level).

I finagled the finances around though, gave him a signing bonus, and was able to get him to sign on for 400k for the next 2 years.

We went out 2-1 against Cagliari in extra-time (heartbreaking) in the 3rd Qualifying Round of the Italian Cup. Our league season started with 3 straight defeats, to Ternana, Ascoli, and 1-0 to Bari before we finally hit our run of form.

3-0 win over Padova, 2-0 win over Potenza, 3-0 win over Torino, 2-2 tie with Salernitana, 1-1 tie with Crotone, 2-0 win (away - televised) against Lecce, 3-1 win over Empoli, 1-1 tie with Piacenza. All of a sudden, 11 games into the season we were sitting in 4th place, just 3 points out of 2nd!! And we'd beaten some legitimate teams in Padova, Torino (just relegated), Lecce, and Empoli.

And then, in the match against Paicenza, my life flashed before my eyes. Emmanuel Frimpong, my 21 year-old Ghanian midfield dynamo, went down with a torn groin muscle for ~2 months.

We'll have to see how I can hold up without him. Last night reeling off all those wins and a couple draws and rising up to 4th in the league was amazing though!!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-15-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #2974
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Brief history of a game I'm running:

2009-2010: I started a game with Newcastle United, with the intent of playing with a 4-4-2 as my primary formation. I placed 3rd in the Championship, and won the playoffs to make it backl into the Premier league.

2010-2011: I signed several youngsters and free vets in the 2010-2011 season, had a blast of a season and ended up with the 6th best record in the league. We made it to the FA Cup Final, took out the favorites, Arsenal, with a surprise 2-0 win to win the cup.

2011-2012: Made several big moves with the money I was given, grabbing formidable strikers, relegating Andy Carroll, a first team mainstay, as a deputy striker. We also sign an aging David Beckham to a contract. We end the season 5th in the league, lose the League Cup Final 1-2 to Man City via a brutal 108th minute goal from Robinho in extra time.

We would find redemption, however, as we return to the FA Cup Final, this time against favorites Aston Villa. Probably the proudest moment of my tenure as Newcastle manager. At first, it was the League Cup Final all over again, with the Villains grabbing a big goal in the 114th minute of extra time, leading 2-1. Our defensive rock of a midfielder then gets red-carded and thrown out. Andy Carroll would save the day, however, and would net us a remarkable goal at the 118th minute to draw 2-2. We win penalties, 4-1. BAM. Back to back FA Cup Champs.

2012-2013: As much as I'd loved my time in Newcastle, Alex Ferguson just retired... and Manchester United called. I am now the new manager of Man U. They've underperformed the past two seasons, finishing 8th in 2011 and in 2012. Hopefully, I can usher them back into the Champions League this year. And, yes, I will be using the Four Four Two.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #2975
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

GJ Neon
Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #2976
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I am now the new manager of Man U.

You had me up to here. Boo!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #2977
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It's weird. In many of my careers Man U, Chelsea, and Liverpool all seem to falter. Man U even got relegated by Hugo Sanchez. They made it back the next year but had to sell all their talent when they dropped. They're now a reliably mid-table club.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #2978
King of New York
High School Varsity

My first sacking ever as an FM manager--after 11 years at the helm of Queen's University in Northern Ireland, my inability to get the team promoted to the Premier League (after getting the team promoted to the First Division) cost me my job.

No worries, though, as I was out of work for only a brief time. I spotted a much richer club (Killymoon) struggling to avoid relegation in the Second Division, and whose coach's status was insecure. After letting the press know that I would be interested in taking over Killymoon and saving the squad, the Killymoon board promptly fired their old coach (I assume we will be mortal enemies from now on) and I took over. I managed to keep them out of the drop zone last season, but the board now wants promotion, and we are in sixth place this season.

One of the best parts of this game is when you unexpectedly see a former player of yours playing for the other side--it really is like bumping into an old friend.

I still have a feeling that I am going about training all wrong. I need to read up on that topic.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #2979
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
You had me up to here. Boo!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #2980
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
(I assume we will be mortal enemies from now on)

What are the advantages, if any, of relationships with other managers? What about with the press? The reporter for my hometown newspaper has "Hatred" for me.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #2981
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
It's weird. In many of my careers Man U, Chelsea, and Liverpool all seem to falter. Man U even got relegated by Hugo Sanchez. They made it back the next year but had to sell all their talent when they dropped. They're now a reliably mid-table club.

In my current career as Arsenal, I've finished fourth place 3 out of 4 seasons. (I had a poor 6th place finish the other year). Liverpool and Chelsea seem to be dominating though with the other spot ahead of me usually being Manchester City. Tottenham surprisingly won it all one season out of nowhere though.

Manchester U have been down around 10th place for several seasons. Their main stars keep getting injured for 3-5+ months at a time.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #2982
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Number one rule? Always, always, get an amazing keeper. Having one, alone, will always get you +5 wins.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #2983
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
In my current career as Arsenal, I've finished fourth place 3 out of 4 seasons. (I had a poor 6th place finish the other year). Liverpool and Chelsea seem to be dominating though with the other spot ahead of me usually being Manchester City. Tottenham surprisingly won it all one season out of nowhere though.

Manchester U have been down around 10th place for several seasons. Their main stars keep getting injured for 3-5+ months at a time.

I'm at 2021 and the teams that dominate are Arsenal (Aguero), Leeds (I led them up and to their first title) and Everton. Sheff Utd finished third last year, but didn't make it out of the CL group stage.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #2984
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Two questions:

1. I ended up signing a player on transfer close to the end of his season long loan to me. When I did, the game treated him as a new player, asking me if I wanted a press conference to unveil him. It also reset his stats to 0 for the season. Do I lose any coherence value he had from playing the entire season with us?

2. Other than looking for players, is there anything else I should be doing during the May and June time period? We finished up in the middle of the standings, and have no other matches, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on the first question? It's something I've wondered about as well.

I usually use May and June to make sure my better players in the second last year of their contracts get signed to extensions. I don't want to head into the ensuing season with these guys potentially going elsewhere for nothing the next summer. If they don't want to sign, then it's on to the transfer list so I can make some money on them and use that to find their replacement. May and June is also a good time to revisit your staff and see if there might be better coaches and scouts out there as well. I also try to set up preseason friendlies right after the annual budget is announced and the fixture list is reset (usually mid June or so). The sooner those are arranged, the easier it is to get your preferred match ups.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #2985
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
What are the advantages, if any, of relationships with other managers? What about with the press? The reporter for my hometown newspaper has "Hatred" for me.

If other managers hate you they'll be less likely to accept transfer requests from you, for one.

My hometown reporter hates me too @ San Marino. Kinda silly...I've brought the club up to Serie B and he still hates me. I think it just means he makes me look bad in his articles.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #2986
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the first question? It's something I've wondered about as well.

I usually use May and June to make sure my better players in the second last year of their contracts get signed to extensions. I don't want to head into the ensuing season with these guys potentially going elsewhere for nothing the next summer. If they don't want to sign, then it's on to the transfer list so I can make some money on them and use that to find their replacement. May and June is also a good time to revisit your staff and see if there might be better coaches and scouts out there as well. I also try to set up preseason friendlies right after the annual budget is announced and the fixture list is reset (usually mid June or so). The sooner those are arranged, the easier it is to get your preferred match ups.

i'm guessing he didn't lose the cohesion with the team...that seems like it'd be a pretty big bug that people would bitch about if he did.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #2987
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
If other managers hate you they'll be less likely to accept transfer requests from you, for one.

My hometown reporter hates me too @ San Marino. Kinda silly...I've brought the club up to Serie B and he still hates me. I think it just means he makes me look bad in his articles.

I have the same "hatred" from my hometown reporter. I'm thinking it may be because I usually end press conferences as soon as possible, or give a number of "no comment" answers when he asks a dumb question (which is about half the time).
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #2988
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

How do you find out if your hometown reporter hates you?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #2989
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
How do you find out if your hometown reporter hates you?

Just click on his name and the link will take you to his profile. It will tell you his opinion of you.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #2990
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Goddamn this team so much. After finishing 4 successive years just outside of the League 1 playoffs, I added a 4-star, Championship-level striker, and upgraded my goalie from a 2 1/2 star 35 year old, to a 3 1/2 star 28 year old. To give myself some fire, I set my expectations towards promotion, rather than just a top-half finish. As a result, I've spent the first half of the season bouncing around from 17th to 11th, screaming "NOOOOOOO!" at my PC screen every 15 minutes, as my team inevitably pisses away game after game. Good times.

That new goalie I was so chuffed about has finally started to gel with the squad and the defensive line is starting to even look stout at times. Unfortunately, that fancy new keeper is also the keeper for the Zambian national side, and as a result he's already missed four games of my 2018 season, which is just a little past half-way done, which is kind of a hassle.

....making it slightly more than 'kind of a hassle' is the fact that, in those four games, his backup (a 2-star youngster that should and has played better) has conceded SEVENTEEN goals. Really, pal? More than four goals a game? And predictably, after a game or two like that, the entire squad is in a shambles. You're not helping.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-15-2010 at 07:08 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #2991
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Also: could it rain a little more in England? I'm trying to piece together a team with some pace and fluidity, but it's rained every day for the past 2 years, so it's hard to read sometimes.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #2992
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Also: could it rain a little more in England? I'm trying to piece together a team with some pace and fluidity, but it's rained every day for the past 2 years, so it's hard to read sometimes.

The irony that it's "thesloppy" complaining about this is not lost on me.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #2993
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I feel your pain. I can't remember the last match I've had in Germany where it wasn't raining.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #2994
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+1

I feel like my team is constantly playing in a mud pit.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #2995
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The irony that it's "thesloppy" complaining about this is not lost on me.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #2996
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post

I actually asked Marc this question awhile back in this thread, and he basically explained it as a not really. In essence, players develop relationships with their teammates naturally while on your squad, and those relationships hold over through transfers and what not so he should still be more adjusted then a completely new signing. I can go back and find it, the conversation went on for a few posts, give me a few minutes to search for it
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #2997
Blade6119
Coordinator

Here was my original question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Odd question for Marc, but in relation to player cohesiveness I am aware that it takes a player awhile to settle into the squad and reach his potential with his teammates. My question is in regard to loan signings, as im sure the rule still applies. But in the instance im facing, where I have had a player on loan for 3 straight seasons as I moved up the English levels, does his period of adjustment re-begin every season? The loans end, and 2 weeks later hes back on the team, but I wonder if the game is smart enough to recognize that he has been playing here for 2 years already, with only 2 short breaks in between, so he should be as adjusted to the squad as possible.

Did that make any sense?
DTs comment that made me feel smart
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
interesting (and good) question blade!
My followup question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Still hoping for an answer, and ill add a little onto it. Ended up signing this player during the January transfer window. I see his stats for this season have reset(meaning to see his stats from even the last game i have to check his history), but does his adjustment reset as well?
And Marc's Answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Sorry must have missed your post first time around.

Basically everyone in the game has relationships with errr everyone else potentially, so he'll settle in each time BUT he should remember people (and they him) so long as you don't have drastic staff turnover - which may help with things (or not depending on the relationships he's made).

Do bear in mind with 'repeat loan' players that their attitude can change a lot over time so be warned - for example a younger loan player might be eager for first team football the first season or two, then get annoyed that they're being loaned out in their third because they were hoping to get some time in their real-clubs first team. Similarly an elder player might be happy to go on loan initially to prove himself and look for a transfer, however if he has repeat spells with a club he might realise they're not going to sign him and lose motivation for them etc. .... not saying either scenario is your case in question, just something to bear in mind.

(so in summary yes the seasonal stats reset each season, no player relationships don't - they DO decay over time, but it will take a while - exactly how long depends on the personality and events which have shaped a relationship, drastic events have a longer lasting effect obviously than everyday acts).
Demotivation
Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #2998
Anthony
Banned

that's either a load of bullcrap or SI has programmed one hell of a sim engine. never thought a text sim game could be sophisticated.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #2999
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

They've programmed a hell of a sim engine. Playing for 8 years now and all that sounds like what I've seen in the game.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #3000
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Just made my first million dollar transfer as San Marino. Paulo Pezzolano, a 30 year old Uruguayan AMC/MC.

He ought to slot right in to one of my MC spots, alongside Frimpong and in front of my DMC whose name also starts with P and is escaping me. Should hopefully provided some additional creativity and flair to my midfield.

I probably could have used the cash to bolster the backline, but there wasn't really anybody available that was a decent upgrade to my backline.