Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #2951
MJ4H
Coordinator

That 4th (I think it was the 4th one, the one on a quick counter) was gorgeous. Lakers-Showtime. Ridiculous outlet pass, nice set-up, power-finish.

I want that.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #2952
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Does Nike have to stop running their commercials since practically their whole squad has now been eliminated.

Roo-ins indeed.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #2953
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I'd imagine that watching soccer full-time would drive me insane. I love the tension that a simple 1-0 score produces. I cannot stand how much power referee's have in this sport and--more importantly--the acceptance of soccer players feigning career-ending injuries every single damned time they are asked to challenge a loose ball. Now, if the referee's were armed with revolvers and were authorized to put the "injured" players out of their misery, I *might* take the risk and be an actual fan.

The problem is that the incentive to dive, cheat, etc. is a zillion times more prominent in tournament soccer. In a league, you really don't see this stuff too much. In a tournament that is short-term and only once every four years, the stakes are very high.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #2954
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
That 4th (I think it was the 4th one, the one on a quick counter) was gorgeous. Lakers-Showtime. Ridiculous outlet pass, nice set-up, power-finish.

I want that.

Especially the nerve and vision by Özil to wait, wait, wait until Müller catches up (and then conciously playing through Johnson´s legs). And Müller also basically said in an interview that he knew he will get that ball when he just manages to get there on time, thus he kills himself on that sprint, scenes like that really show that a team is working.

Has anyone recognized who made the long pass to Özil there ? Pretty sure it was Khedira, but not 100% sure. That was a brilliant pass really.

The 2:0 wasn´t too shabby either :

Also Neuer´s outlet throws are ridiculous, he throws it like 20 metres into the other half at times

Rule of thumb i guess is that you should really avoid to go down against this german team.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #2955
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Hopefully Mexico lose later. England and Mexico both going out is the closest thing I can get to a spirit-lifter after our loss yesterday.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #2956
whomario
Pro Starter

Klose now with 50 international goals, which only 30 other people ever and worldwide have done and he has scored the most international goals since his debut and also of any player since 2000 (Jan Koller with 45 and Drogba with 43 are next there).

Also in the quarter final will be the 8th german player to have played 100 matches, is 2nd to score 50 goals (3rd if you count east german team games).

Again, for a guy that was playing amateur division soocer until age 22 that´s not a shabby career at all
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-27-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #2957
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
The problem is that the incentive to dive, cheat, etc. is a zillion times more prominent in tournament soccer. In a league, you really don't see this stuff too much. In a tournament that is short-term and only once every four years, the stakes are very high.

I would imagine that is correct. However, if not for the concept of the World Cup (which is an awesome concept), I would never actually watch this sport (I'm a typical American).

So when I do actually sit down to watch this sport (every four years), I am in awe of the internationalism of it...the goodwill...the priviledge to play against other nations...simply just the honor of it all. And then after the "show" is over and they get down to playing, I watch all these noble players collapse like little school girls over and over and over again. I mean, it's just horrible.

So in the end, I walk away...once again...thinking that the World Cup (pro soccer) is bested only by fake wrestling and Formula 1 racing at Indianapolis.

Last edited by Dutch : 06-27-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #2958
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
I would imagine that is correct. However, if not for the concept of the World Cup (which is an awesome concept), I would never actually watch this sport (I'm a typical American).

So when I do actually sit down to watch this sport (every four years), I am in awe of the internationalism of it...the goodwill...the priviledge to play against other nations...simply just the honor of it all. And then after the "show" is over and they get down to playing, I watch all these noble players collapse like little school girls over and over and over again. I mean, it's just horrible.

So in the end, I walk away...once again...thinking that the World Cup (pro soccer) is bested only by fake wrestling and Formula 1 racing at Indianapolis.

+1
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #2959
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Dutch and tarcone aren't on board. FUCK, I'M OUT!
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #2960
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I find it ridicolous to question a GK because of one (half)mistake ... The guy is worldclass, period.
I agree that a shitload of teams would take him in a heartbeat. Germany propably not because quite frankly our 5th best Keeper would still start on half the teams here, but i wouldn´t mind him either definitely

It's ok to critize players for errors, even good ones...I get everyone makes mistakes - see Casillas last year, but he's not worldclass period when the Ghana GK would have easily saved the shot he let in.

He is a great goalkeeper and is a victim of a terrible defense, but there's no arguing that he was out of position on the first goal and got caught with his pants down.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #2961
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
It's ok to critize players for errors, even good ones...I get everyone makes mistakes - see Casillas last year, but he's not worldclass period when the Ghana GK would have easily saved the shot he let in.

He is a great goalkeeper and is a victim of a terrible defense, but there's no arguing that he was out of position on the first goal and got caught with his pants down.

criticize is ok, question whether he should remain in goal/thinking about a replacement isn´t. I mean, every goal keeper makes fatal mistakes, even the very best. That´s the trouble with that position, every mistake gets noted. No one cares if Messi fails to stop a ball or if a striker misses a shot (as long as he makes the next one)
Every keeper on this level can make world class saves here or there or have an amazing game, putting Kingson into the same category as Howard is like saying every player that ever scores off a great run is as good as Messi.

Kingson has had at least half a dozen major mistakes this tournament alone, luckily for him only 1 leading to goal. And that was a tournament where he played way above what everyone expected from him There´s a reason why he played a whopping 40 club games since 2004 with 35 of those coming for a midtable turkish and a midtable swedish team and a whopping 5 games coming between 2007-2010.

It´s not only about making a few great saves, it´s about consistently making good saves.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #2962
MrBug708
Head Coach

Interesting comments from both Klingsmann and Lalas about the future of Bradley
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #2963
whomario
Pro Starter

rooting for Argentina here. With all due respect to Mexico, but a matchup against Argentina is just a great, great prospect even though it´s obviously the tougher one to win (then again, if mexico would win they then obviously have quality) .
Old 06-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #2964
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Interesting comments from both Klingsmann and Lalas about the future of Bradley

I missed it. What did they say?
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #2965
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

I can get that. I personally enjoy watching when I can (not enough to shell the extra bucks to see it more often. Sorry Comcast). The World Cup is even better to me, but I can totally get why someone would be turned off by the floppy-flops. It reinforces the wrong-minded prepective that Americans have that this a sissy sport. It is actually a very physical, tough sport that takes as much or more athleticism as any more traditionally American sport does. But players rolling around on the ground acting like they had been stabbed when no one touched them makes it look like a sport for wimps.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-27-2010 at 01:26 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #2966
PilotMan
Head Coach

My hatred of the Argentine coach and their decision to put him there lends me to cheer for Mexico in this one. It feels odd. So I cheer for Messi (humble and honest) and Mexico.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #2967
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
Dutch and tarcone aren't on board. FUCK, I'M OUT!

Give me time, I moved to America to convert the country to soccer ... one at a time if necessary

PS - I've always hated diving/acting myself; part of the problem with the game in that respect now is that its 'accepted' ... commentators talk about someone 'winning' a foul for instance, to me if you kick the ball past a defender and run into him that shouldn't be a foul, thats a stupid play ... bah humbug.

(its also annoyed me that while the play above is a 'foul' holding a player off while a ball rolls out of play for a goal-kick isn't - it SHOULD be according to the rules of the game (you don't have the ball under control even if its close enough that you could and imho its DEFINITELY unsporting behaviour, its gamesmanship as poor as fouling someone who's through on goal) ... again for some reason its become accepted and no one even mentions it these days, strangely though in lower league play both rarely happen because the game is played as it was intended to be played ... its imho also why in the FA Cup in England a fair few of the big clubs get their come uppance, its a bit of a shock to them if they get a decent ref and find they aren't as molly coddled as they expect )

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-27-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #2968
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I missed it. What did they say?

Lalas commented that you keep Bradley if you like the direction the US is going with the players.

Klinsmann said that the US needs to go to the hood for their talent as they are doing it backwards. (IE, not enough minorities on the team and too many rich white kids playing soccer)
Old 06-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #2969
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well, that's one goal for Argentina

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #2970
MJ4H
Coordinator

Do they have to fuck up every goal? I mean, when is the last time there was a game without a fucked up ref decision on a goal?

Christ, this one wasn't even close. I'm almost the opposite of a lot of people. I'm a huge soccer fan and this shit is about to turn me from the game. Get your shit together FIFA. My GOD.

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-27-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #2971
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Lalas commented that you keep Bradley if you like the direction the US is going with the players.

Klinsmann said that the US needs to go to the hood for their talent as they are doing it backwards. (IE, not enough minorities on the team and too many rich white kids playing soccer)

Jurgen Klinsmann?

I wanted him to get the job the last time. Too bad he decided to just take time off instead.

It would be interesting to see if he would be interested now. He still lives in Newport Beach.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #2972
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Seriously - this is so fucked up. Can they really blow two CLEAR calls in one day?

Honestly I don't even know if I can watch this tournament anymore - it's a fucking joke.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-27-2010 at 02:01 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #2973
PilotMan
Head Coach

FIFA FTW! fuckers.

Like Steam?

Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #2974
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

FIFA - "Looks like i picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue"
Old 06-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #2975
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Seriously - this is so fucked up. Can they really blow two CLEAR calls in one game.

Honestly I don't even know if I can watch this tournament anymore - it's a fucking joke.

Agreed. This is horrible.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #2976
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Jurgen Klinsmann?

I wanted him to get the job the last time. Too bad he decided to just take time off instead.

It would be interesting to see if he would be interested now. He still lives in Newport Beach.

Ya. Apparently he wanted control over the youth teams and we told him no thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #2977
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jurgen Klinsmann?

He didn't decide to take time off. The USSF wouldn't give him the control that he wanted and allow him to call up senior USMNT players for a couple tournaments before qualifying. Also didn't see eye-to-eye with him on the youth teams. Basically the USSF was power-hungry.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-27-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #2978
PilotMan
Head Coach

That wasn't the impression I got Bug. He said that the base of football needs to start in the inner cities, it won't work because of the number of sports we have here. In other countries the best athletes play soccer, but here it doesn't pay like the other three, so they don't play.

He was saying that if you can change the culture and develop those players into soccer stars that is how you improve the team the best.

Like Steam?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #2979
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
That wasn't the impression I got Bug. He said that the base of football needs to start in the inner cities, it won't work because of the number of sports we have here. In other countries the best athletes play soccer, but here it doesn't pay like the other three, so they don't play.

He was saying that if you can change the culture and develop those players into soccer stars that is how you improve the team the best.

He's right.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #2980
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Welp. This game is over. Shame that Mexico got fucked by that bad call - otherwise there's no telling how this would have played out.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #2981
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dman it, cable went out under a tornado watch

Old 06-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #2982
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Ya. Apparently he wanted control over the youth teams and we told him no thanks

Well, if Hitler taught us anything, it is not to give a German control over the youth.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #2983
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Instant Replay at WC 2014. Guaranteed.

We finally get the 'caught with their pants down' moment FIFA needed to make it impossible not to respond to.

Geez, after the blown call in the Mex-Arg game, If we get one more fuck up in the next game or two, im predicting replay for this year's final.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #2984
PilotMan
Head Coach

So if Mexico doesn't lose their composure because of the bad goal, they don't press and they don't allow another?

Like Steam?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #2985
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

And I can;t watch it live on ESPn.com, they aren;t offering it

Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #2986
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I paraphrased without the PC crap
Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #2987
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So if Mexico doesn't lose their composure because of the bad goal, they don't press and they don't allow another?

quite probably.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #2988
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Geez, after the blown call in the Mex-Arg game, If we get one more fuck up in the next game or two, im predicting replay for this year's final.

I'm all for instituting it by the second half of this game.

Fuckers.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #2989
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Klinnsman's comments pretty much had me thinking he might be able to do more good as the head of US Soccer than as our coach.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #2990
MJ4H
Coordinator

Honestly I think Argentina runs a train on Mexico regardless of that goal, but that awful officiating just pisses me off.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #2991
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Klinnsman's comments pretty much had me thinking he might be able to do more good as the head of US Soccer than as our coach.

that's true. unfortunately gulati is a power-hungry fuckwad.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #2992
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

this

We need something like that. Someone that isn't afraid to see the problems and address them.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #2993
PilotMan
Head Coach

Pedi-bear could coach Argentina to this point of the tournament.

Like Steam?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #2994
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
He didn't decide to take time off. The USSF wouldn't give him the control that he wanted and allow him to call up senior USMNT players for a couple tournaments before qualifying. Also didn't see eye-to-eye with him on the youth teams. Basically the USSF was power-hungry.

Hmm, hadn't read that. Disappointing, really. I knew he and USSF couldn't come to an agreement, but I thought in the end it was just his own desire not to immediately get back into managing (there was a lot of talk while he was with Germany about his refusal to move from Newport Beach--I wouldn't either, frankly--and he seemed to make a big deal about being around his family and wanting to keep them where they were).

My impression had been that USSF didn't really pursue him that hard and settled on Bradley. But just an impression, not really backed with anything but vague recall.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #2995
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Seemed like he was auditioning for the job on tv. Hell, I thought he was going to say he's taken the position as USMNT Head Coach
Old 06-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #2996
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Hmm, hadn't read that. Disappointing, really. I knew he and USSF couldn't come to an agreement, but I thought in the end it was just his own desire not to immediately get back into managing (there was a lot of talk while he was with Germany about his refusal to move from Newport Beach--I wouldn't either, frankly--and he seemed to make a big deal about being around his family and wanting to keep them where they were).

My impression had been that USSF didn't really pursue him that hard and settled on Bradley. But just an impression, not really backed with anything but vague recall.

There are definitely specific quotes from Klinnsmann saying he sought assurances from US Soccer on a few things (widely believed to be about player availability for the back-to-back Gold Cup and Copa America tournaments in 2007). He basically said something like once it become clear things "weren't going to the way he felt they needed to" that he just whithdrew his name from the running.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #2997
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Klinsmann and USSF president Sunil Gulati discussed player availability for the 2007 Copa America and CONCACAF Gold Cup.

"There were different opinions, you know, what players could get the permissions in MLS, what role it plays," he said. "And I thought here, it's not going the right directions in that specific moment. ... So I said, 'You know, it's OK, move on.'"
Gulati then hired Bob Bradley, who is preparing to coach the U.S. in the World Cup next month.
Klinsmann, who moved back to California with his family in December, wouldn't say whether he would be interested in coaching the U.S. one day.
"I don't know what happens, you know, over the next couple weeks, you know, or even in a year from now," he said. "But I think it's not correct if you discuss something that involves somebody that is actually in charge. And I hope he will stay in charge for a long, long time."

Klinsmann Broke Off US Talks Partly Over MLS - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #2998
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Actually, that can work here or at least be an improvement. Remember, we have been inundated with emigres from Mexico, and most are not wealthy and live in these very same inner cities. A strong support system for soccer in these areas would be a boon for soccer (it's also a reason why it's even more critical for baseball to keep up its efforts to do this, although their focus seems to be more on African-Americans).

Obviously, this would also be a boon with respect to recruiting African-Americans to the sport, but that's a tougher cookie to crack. African-Americans are (of course) long time Americans and are infused with a belief that basketball and football (and possibly baseball) are the ways out of the inner city (at least if you're male and have athletic talent).

Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #2999
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh I don't doubt what you guys are saying. I just didn't remember how it all went down. My vague memory as it were didn't meet with what you guys said, but I knew it was, indeed, very vague in my mind.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-27-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #3000
rowech
Pro Starter

Does anyone find Harkes as annoying as I do? His fake accent, his overuse of the word strike, and his offering nothing but overwhelming generalizations do nothing to further the broadcast.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote