Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #2951
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
And no Phillips in the lineup today. Looking like the Reds may have mismanaged the DL... again.

Nope...he's fine. Doesn't want him getting hit by Pirates for Chapman hitting McCutchen.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #2952
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I like the comment from the blogger at BucsDugout: "Clint Hurdle seems to think Homer Bailey is a lefty."

Sitting Pedro Alvarez and Travis Snider, in favor of Josh Harrison and Gabby Sanchez a day after letting them both flounder against lefty Mike Leake.

Leake's a righty.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #2953
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
+ 1,000,000

They announced on the pregame show, that Charlie Sheen, who is a huge Reds fan, matched the total with a $50K donation himself. He's been in town all weekend, with his dad Martin.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #2954
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Hmm.. Winning indeed. Puts a little extra gloss on the surface of that story.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #2955
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Vin Scully, lip-reading and "translating" a Jim Tracy ejection. Just awesome. Snip.it | Collect Your Web
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #2956
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That is incredible. As much as I hate the Dodgers, I can't hate Vin Scully.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:56 AM   #2957
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Vin Scully, lip-reading and "translating" a Jim Tracy ejection. Just awesome. Snip.it | Collect Your Web

Watched it live (or as close to live as you get) on MLB.tv.

I about fell out of my chair in laughter. God, I love Vin.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:07 AM   #2958
SackAttack
Head Coach

The thing that made it more amazing is, I've watched/listened to games he's called before where somebody's gotten in a dust-up and gotten tossed. I can't ever remember him doing the lipread+sanitizing bit before.

He musta been feeling feisty tonight.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #2959
Drake
assmaster

That was awesome. I watch a ton of Dodgers games with MLB Extra Innings (and despite the fact that I don't give two shits about the Dodgers) just because I love to listen to Scully. Wish I would have seen that one live.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #2960
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Can't get enough of Walker's reaction after Marte throw last night...

Thinking to himself "Isn't there supposed to be a guy around here I should tag?...Oh, here he is"

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 08-07-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #2961
spleen1015
Coordinator

The ball beat him there by a mile, but he was almost safe sliding under the tag.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #2962
Logan
Head Coach

Note to Little Leaguers...if you slap your glove down in front of the base, they can't slide under the tag.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #2963
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Note to Little Leaguers...if you slap your glove down in front of the base, they can't slide under the tag.

Next note to Little Leaguers...spikes are sharp
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #2964
JediKooter
Coordinator

So the old Dodgers owner and his sons just bought the Padres (Pending approval). My only question is, will you spend money like you would if you still owned the Dodgers or are you going to continue the Padres tradition of only offering the San Diego discount and signing super stars that were super stars 10-15 years ago?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #2965
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm ignorant why he sold the Dodgers, so this may be an invalid opinion.

If I am MLB, I don't let him back in since he sold the Dodgers.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #2966
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I'm not sure why he sold the Dodgers to the guy that ran that teams finances into the ground. I don't really have a problem of a former owner buying back in as long as they aren't a former owner because they defrauded the league or the team or showed an absolute lack of financial integrity.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #2967
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

When he put the Dodgers up for sale, he made comments to the effect of not believing teams needed corporate ownership to survive, that family ownership wasn't going to fly in the then-current market.

And then in the last 20 years we've seen TV deals start handing out the cash like it was Monopoly money, and that maybe changed the calculus for him. What did the Padres get in their most recent deal, $1.2 billion over 30 years? That's something like $40/mil season for their TV rights.

For perspective's sake, the Dodger payroll in 1998, the year Fox bought the team from O'Malley, was $62 million.

It's a different world out there with the explosion in rights values. I'm skeptical whether O'Malley can turn the Padres into perennial contenders, but he's certainly not in danger of losing his shirt the way he felt he was 15 years ago.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #2968
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I'm not sure why he sold the Dodgers to the guy that ran that teams finances into the ground.

He didn't sell the Dodgers to McCourt. He sold them to Fox. Fox kept 'em for a few years, long enough to secure the team's TV rights below what they'd go for in the open market, and then sold the team to McCourt when they decided they didn't have the stomach for day-to-day operations.

That rights transfer hamstrung the team some financially, but it was McCourt who went for the piledriver by treating the team as an ATM to fund an opulent lifestyle.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #2969
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I'm not sure why he sold the Dodgers to the guy that ran that teams finances into the ground. I don't really have a problem of a former owner buying back in as long as they aren't a former owner because they defrauded the league or the team or showed an absolute lack of financial integrity.

There's probably a fair clue in this old article from 1997.
O'Malley Announces He'll Sell Dodgers - New York Times

Remember, at the time, they were pretty much the last of a dying breed: single family ownership. Peter & his sister (the mom of two of the participants in the Padres deal) owned virtually the entire team.

From the article, Peter says:
Quote:
'I think family ownership of sports today is probably a dying breed,'' said O'Malley, whose family took control of the franchise in 1950. ''If you look at all sports, it's a high-risk business. Professional sports is as high risk as the oil business. You need a broader base than an individual family to carry you through the storms. Groups or corporations are probably the way of the future.''

While the group buying the Padres includes O'Malley, his two sons and two nephews, controlling interest will reportedly fall to investment banker Ron Fowler. Even with several family members, it's a different model than the situation of the Dodgers.

Of course, aside from the financial wisdom of selling for (at that time) the highest price ever paid for a U.S. sports franchise, there's also the possibility that other factors influenced the sale as well.
O'Malley's failed NFL bid led to sale - Los Angeles - NFL Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
edit to add: Crap, the headline doesn't show up on that last piece. It reads "O'Malley's failed NFL bid led to sale"

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-07-2012 at 12:09 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #2970
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

That's one of those things that drives me crazy about umpires - even at the youngest levels, they award the "ball beat the runner to the base so he's (she's) automatically out" crap. Especially with 10 year olds, that CAN'T be a given. And of course it just reinforces bad umpiring and play at the earliest of ages. It also infuriates parents/fans when an umpire decides to call a kid (correctly) safe for sliding under a high tag.

My 8 year old got called out last weekend on a slide into 2B when she got tagged on the head/shoulder and was laying with her butt on the base. Still called her out.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-07-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #2971
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yeah, my daughter's team was given 3 outs in the same game once when the 3rd basemen tagged high and the runner was safe, but called out.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #2972
Ksyrup

On the other hand, I remember a 3 Stooges-like play when Caitlin was in 8U where the opposing team's catcher had the ball, was standing behind the plate trying to tag the runners, and 3 of our girls slid back-to-back-to-back into each other at home plate and all 3 were safe. Probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #2973
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
There's probably a fair clue in this old article from 1997.
O'Malley Announces He'll Sell Dodgers - New York Times

Remember, at the time, they were pretty much the last of a dying breed: single family ownership. Peter & his sister (the mom of two of the participants in the Padres deal) owned virtually the entire team.

From the article, Peter says:

While the group buying the Padres includes O'Malley, his two sons and two nephews, controlling interest will reportedly fall to investment banker Ron Fowler. Even with several family members, it's a different model than the situation of the Dodgers.

Of course, aside from the financial wisdom of selling for (at that time) the highest price ever paid for a U.S. sports franchise, there's also the possibility that other factors influenced the sale as well.
O'Malley's failed NFL bid led to sale - Los Angeles - NFL Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
edit to add: Crap, the headline doesn't show up on that last piece. It reads "O'Malley's failed NFL bid led to sale"

Good links, thanks Jon. It will be interesting for sure. Hopefully Ron Fowler will understand that winning the World Series with teams like the Marlins are the exception and not the rule and will spend some money on currently producing talent. I'm tired of the Padres being the rest of the leagues development team. Plus, I actually wouldn't mind if O'Malley bought the Chargers from the Spanos family.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #2974
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's one of those things that drives me crazy about umpires - even at the youngest levels, they award the "ball beat the runner to the base so he's (she's) automatically out" crap. Especially with 10 year olds, that CAN'T be a given. And of course it just reinforces bad umpiring and play at the earliest of ages. It also infuriates parents/fans when an umpire decides to call a kid (correctly) safe for sliding under a high tag.

My 8 year old got called out last weekend on a slide into 2B when she got tagged on the head/shoulder and was laying with her butt on the base. Still called her out.

Seriously, have none of you people been spiked before?

I’m typing this looking down at the two inch scar on my left wrist that I got 20 years ago in high school because some dumbass who was out by 10 feet decided to come in spikes up. Phantom tags and being in the vicinity on the turn is just fine with me, thank you very much.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #2975
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
Seriously, have none of you people been spiked before?

I’m typing this looking down at the two inch scar on my left wrist that I got 20 years ago in high school because some dumbass who was out by 10 feet decided to come in spikes up. Phantom tags and being in the vicinity on the turn is just fine with me, thank you very much.

Safe is safe. I don't know when metal spikes are allowed in baseball, but they aren't allowed below high school level in softball.

And here's the thing - these aren't phantom tags, they are late tags. Meaning, the fielder is in the play, being impacted, but they aren't putting the tag down until after the runner has slid under or around them. It's not like a swipe tag and avoiding contact. It's simply a late (usually high) tag while taking a throw like you normally would at a base. If anything, it's actually more dangerous because if you apply the tag close to the ground, you're able to block the foot. Here, the foot is through the base (and sometimes the body) before the tag is applied.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #2976
Suicane75
Coordinator

With 11 more homers, Mike Trout will become the first 30/30 rookie in MLB history if I'm not mistaken.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #2977
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
With 11 more homers, Mike Trout will become the first 30/30 rookie in MLB history if I'm not mistaken.

At his current monthly progession in his rate of "awesomeness", I think Trout might become also the first 70/70 rookie in MLB history.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #2978
lungs
Pro Rookie

In an otherwise abysmal baseball year in Milwaukee, Mike Fiers has been absolutely tremendous. He's not 1.80 ERA good, but still a nice find and a nice story for a guy who almost died in a car wreck.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #2979
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

A little late because I was in bed listening to the game when it happened, but.. SHAAAAAAAARK!!!

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #2980
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Safe is safe. I don't know when metal spikes are allowed in baseball, but they aren't allowed below high school level in softball.
Middle school in baseball (or once they start playing 90').
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #2981
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The umps in Boston blew an easy replay call on a hit by Cruz. Called a foul, but the replays showed it being fair, a home run. They upheld the foul call.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #2982
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Disappointing series for the Reds in Milwaukee. Hopefully they take the next series then rest up on their day off. Hopefully Votto is ready then (I have been busy this week so hvent seen the latest on his ETA. Anybody?)
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #2983
Suicane75
Coordinator

Hey A's fans, how did the whole "Bernie" thing start? I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they had cardboard cutouts of Bernie in the stands.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #2984
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Hey A's fans, how did the whole "Bernie" thing start? I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they had cardboard cutouts of Bernie in the stands.

Not an A's fan, but my Google Fu hadn't been used today so I figured wth.

Oakland drags ‘Weekend at Bernie’s’ dance into A’s recent run of success | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
Old 08-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #2985
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Disappointing series for the Reds in Milwaukee. Hopefully they take the next series then rest up on their day off. Hopefully Votto is ready then (I have been busy this week so hvent seen the latest on his ETA. Anybody?)

Game should have been won today. Valdez shouldn't have been in the game at short, especially late. Cozart would have had the ball in the 8th.

Cairo and Valdez -- just don't understand how they even see the field.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #2986
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Game should have been won today. Valdez shouldn't have been in the game at short, especially late. Cozart would have had the ball in the 8th.

Cairo and Valdez -- just don't understand how they even see the field.

1) Are they over the age of 33? 2) Is Dusty Baker your manager? If so, see 1).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #2987
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Awesome. It's so hard not to root for the A's, they're like a team transported from the 70's into modern day baseball.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #2988
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

anyone else having issues with Gameday Audio? I usually click the scoreboard and then the headphones icon and the audio starts up. Currently there is no headphone or TV icon to click. It was working a few hours ago when I listened to the Reds game. I am on an Iphone 3gs FWIW.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #2989
Desnudo
Coordinator

Why did they hire this guy again?

Bobby V: 'I think we're a playoff team'

Bobby Valentine thinks Boston Red Sox are a playoff team - ESPN Boston
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #2990
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Manny Machado getting a call up for the Orioles. Wow.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #2991
Terps
College Prospect

I like it. He can't do any worse than Andino, and will likely be an upgrade in the field. Dylan Bundy also got promoted to Bowie tonight, hopefully he's in Baltimore come September.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #2992
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know the Reds aren't the most progressive bunch, especially when it comes to on field management, but they have to figure out a way to sneak Billy Hamilton onto their postseason roster. He's at 131 steals or so. He could potentially shift a game with his speed.

The Cardinals are the only team that can really limit the running game...Other squads like LA, SF are decent.

I shudder to think what he'll do to the pirates(like 10% Throw out rate this year). Hamilton will probably be good for 25plus steals vs the Pirates each year.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #2993
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I know the Reds aren't the most progressive bunch, especially when it comes to on field management, but they have to figure out a way to sneak Billy Hamilton onto their postseason roster. He's at 131 steals or so. He could potentially shift a game with his speed.

The Cardinals are the only team that can really limit the running game...Other squads like LA, SF are decent.

I shudder to think what he'll do to the pirates(like 10% Throw out rate this year). Hamilton will probably be good for 25plus steals vs the Pirates each year.

Other than the Dave Roberts stolen base, has there really ever been a "major" stolen base in postseason history? Then again, there probably aren't that many "major" outs recorded or clutch hits by the 25th guy on the roster either

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #2994
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I feel like keeping Hamilton around strictly as a pinch runner would be a good idea. There hasn't been a base stealer this prolific since Rickey. He could probably be a hell of a sacrifice bunt guy too. If he gets better at hitting, he could grow into one of the best lead-off men in the game.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 08-09-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #2995
Easy Mac

He seems to be running less and worse at AA. I don't think he'd be nearly as effective as people think at the MLB level right now.

Plus, he's unbelievably horrible at fielding. You can't afford to burn a player off your bench for 1 steal a game when you only have 13-14 hitters on your team.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #2996
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
He seems to be running less and worse at AA. I don't think he'd be nearly as effective as people think at the MLB level right now.

Plus, he's unbelievably horrible at fielding. You can't afford to burn a player off your bench for 1 steal a game when you only have 13-14 hitters on your team.

His baserunning hasn't really changed at all since going to AA. He stole .64 bases every time he got on at A and he's stealing .61 bases every time he has been on at AA. The issue is his OBP is down 30 points.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #2997
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Miguel Cairo is the Reds 25th man right now.

Hamilton enters a tie game with one out in the 8th as a pinch runner on first. I know three is no SABR way of proving it, but the ability to distract a pitcher has to exist.

Will he shift one game? Maybe

WIll Miguel Cairo? No chance in he'll
Old 08-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #2998
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That was a beat down last night the Giants gave us.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #2999
Logan
Head Coach

I know we were talking about the greatness (aka ineptitude) of John Sterling a couple weeks ago. Let's go again.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-...-sterling.html
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #3000
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
That was a beat down last night the Giants gave us.

I'm still stunned and at a loss with regard to Ryan Vogelsong. I think the only plausible answer is that Dave Righetti is actually a wizard.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote