Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 AM   #3001
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Just click on his name and the link will take you to his profile. It will tell you his opinion of you.

I dont get any names for reporters
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:56 AM   #3002
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Two questions in regards to transfers...

1. What should I be asking for in terms of value when I "Offer to Squads" players that I'm looking to ship out on Transfer. Should I only be seeking the player's straight "value" or should I be above that, and if so, how much?

2. I've noted that when I make inquiries into players, I'll often get a response from the team asking for approximately 4-5 times the players value. Now, when teams are seeking out my younger players (I'm playing as Leeds United and there is quite a bit of interest for Ben Parker and Robert Snodgrass), they seem to be offering much less than those 5-6 time value levels. Basically what I'm looking for I guess, is what would be considered a good offer? I know that in a sense it is all relative to the many other intangibles going on such as his depth, future development, etc.

For a player on my team that is not transfer listed that is valued at 500,000, teams come in offering 700,000, etc. However, when I make inquiries to 500,000 players on some other teams, I get responses in the 1-2 million range. Should I hold out and seek greater money or is 700K a good return for a player valued at 500K, even though that player is very valuable to my team.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #3003
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I dont get any names for reporters

I was wrong about that. Sorry.

I believe you can see it during your press conference. Under the "name" of the journalist asking the question it will tell you his relationship with you. Often, for me, it's simply "n/a".
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #3004
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post

1. What should I be asking for in terms of value when I "Offer to Squads" players that I'm looking to ship out on Transfer. Should I only be seeking the player's straight "value" or should I be above that, and if so, how much?

2. I've noted that when I make inquiries into players, I'll often get a response from the team asking for approximately 4-5 times the players value. Now, when teams are seeking out my younger players (I'm playing as Leeds United and there is quite a bit of interest for Ben Parker and Robert Snodgrass), they seem to be offering much less than those 5-6 time value levels. Basically what I'm looking for I guess, is what would be considered a good offer? I know that in a sense it is all relative to the many other intangibles going on such as his depth, future development, etc.

For a player on my team that is not transfer listed that is valued at 500,000, teams come in offering 700,000, etc. However, when I make inquiries to 500,000 players on some other teams, I get responses in the 1-2 million range. Should I hold out and seek greater money or is 700K a good return for a player valued at 500K, even though that player is very valuable to my team.

Mannn...that's a tough question to answer. It really depends on the player and how much you want to get rid of him.

If he's a good player and he's younger and you just need to sell him cuz you want the money, you can probably get over market-value for him by at least a little, particularly if he's not an obscure player. How much over market value...man that depends. On the finances of the buying team, on how badly they need/want him, on how much you're willing to risk the deal falling apart over an extra 25k, etc.

Wish I had a hard and fast answer for you.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #3005
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The value the game says pretty much means nothing as far as I've seen. Clubs (including you) value players where they value them.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 07-16-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #3006
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post

1. If you're looking to ship them out, sell low, under their value. How far under determines how fast interest builds generally. If I need someone gone now ( mostly salary dump or the guy is just rotting in the reserve ) I'll set the value at zero to drum up interest and sell for whatever is offered.

2. What would you answer if someone asked you how much you'd want for someone you had no desire to sell?? You'd say something like 4-5 times as much. If you want a player who is on a long term contract then that's a sign that the team probably values the guy a lot as is his role.

I generally don't inquire about players for this reason. I generally scout the guy heavily and look at what my scouts say the team will take and base my offers generally around that figure. When you get a counteroffer then you know you're really close. I generally know then how much they want and I tailor my offer to that base and get rid of all the frills they add on like % of profit and such and the deal usually settles quickly.

If the player is very valuable to you, you have him locked up, there's no one behind him that can take the slot and you're not way over salary budget then why take a small bump over his value. His value to you is MUCH higher than his value in that case and you are just going to have to offer someone else a slot to replace the guy you just sold. Now, what are the chances you'll find a guy better than what you had for only 200k more? It can happen but if you don't have that guy already on your shortlist is it really worth the hassle of having replaced something that worked with an unknown of around the same value? Why mess with that?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #3007
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Better answer than mine by Axxon. Well said.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #3008
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Just made my first million dollar transfer as San Marino. Paulo Pezzolano, a 30 year old Uruguayan AMC/MC.

He ought to slot right in to one of my MC spots, alongside Frimpong and in front of my DMC whose name also starts with P and is escaping me. Should hopefully provided some additional creativity and flair to my midfield.

I probably could have used the cash to bolster the backline, but there wasn't really anybody available that was a decent upgrade to my backline.

Totally off-topic, but I opened this thread right after the Investment thread. I forgot which one I clicked on and when I read the first few words of your post I double checked which thread I was in. Was about to say, "Woah! Millionaire!"
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #3009
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My Chelmsford City club made it to the BS Premier in the last game. After a late season funk evaporated all the good play of the mid-season, we were tied with Worcester with two matches left. I was counting on a home win against Worcester that would have put me three points up, but likely still behind in goal differential. Unfortunately we played from behind all match after an early goal, but tied it up right at the intermission. I urged the boys on, but neither team scored and we went to the last game with a draw.

Worcester had a home match and we had an away match against the fifth place team. We had to gain a point on Worcester as they held a six goal lead. We had been terrible away most of the season with multiple 0-4 losses. This last match, with promotion on the line, the boys came together and pulled out the 2-0 victory. Worcester got behind early and couldn't even manage a draw.

Now BSP awaits.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #3010
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
The value the game says pretty much means nothing as far as I've seen. Clubs (including you) value players where they value them.

The visible value in game often confuses people BUT imho its vital to have 'something' as a guide to people.

The displayed value in FM (and FMH) games is the value of that play IF the club had no interest in retaining or selling him and had a direct replacement for him available within their squad; that is its a mood neutral value.

If a club DONT have a direct replacement for a player available and want to retain him then expect to pay more than the displayed value (often a LOT more) - if the club have him listed and he's moody and unsettling other players sometimes you can get him a LOT less.

One thing people often forget is that what is a lot of money to one club might not be to another, if you're a small club getting attention from a big club for one of your players negotiate - that extra 20k you get from them might seem a lot to you - but to them its chicken feed, similarly if you're after a youth player from a Premiership side who's on his way out and he's listed at $100k - try asking for him on a freebie, if they're 'Rich' they might just let him leave rather than stifle his career ..... you never know unless you ask
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #3011
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
that's either a load of bullcrap or SI has programmed one hell of a sim engine. never thought a text sim game could be sophisticated.

We've been evolving it for quite a while now* and tend to take the stance of continually improving things over time as processors allow us to further areas of the game.

Its not perfect by any means - but we'll keep striving to push it towards that goal post .... even if its impossible to reach it

*The last total rewrite of the game was started back around 2000; so the engine behind FM has been effectively maturing and evolving for a decade now (plus a lot of the actual AI/decision making behind its original engine had been distilled from the prior CM3 engine which again had been maturing for a while ... and parts of it are actually STILL evolving now within FMH).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-18-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #3012
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
The visible value in game often confuses people BUT imho its vital to have 'something' as a guide to people.

Marc,

One thing I've always wondered: Is there inflation/deflation of prices in the game (I would say I've noticed it before, at least I think) and if so are these visible values sensitive to it?
Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #3013
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Marc,

One thing I've always wondered: Is there inflation/deflation of prices in the game (I would say I've noticed it before, at least I think) and if so are these visible values sensitive to it?

Not sure, but it's always been cheaper for me to buy players in the off-season rather than during the season.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #3014
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Not sure, but it's always been cheaper for me to buy players in the off-season rather than during the season.

I think that's often the case IRL too. I mean more as a long-term thing, over the course of several years.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #3015
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Marc,

There is NO economic inflation or deflation in the game - this is simply because I've always thought it too confusing to people to try and ascertain what the real value for £100 might be in 10 years time, its simpler and less confusing to always leave things in todays prices.

HOWEVER the game itself can be fairly 'cyclic' to a greater or lesser degree with regards to pricing, the prices are determined by the economic state of football within the game - which is variable and can change over time.

For instance if you have a highly competitive national league and a breed of hungry chairmen with poor business sense all at once then you'll see prices sky-rocket both in terms of transfer valuations and wages (see whats happened with the Premiership in recent years for instance).

If however 5 years later a lot of those clubs have under-achieved and gone bust with the chairmen moving on wages and transfer values will in the main decrease.

(basic economics I know, but I thought it might interest people to know it does happen in the game - tbh its not something we've specifically set out to model, its a knock on from the way the AI of people in the game works when negotiating - we simulate how we believe humans think and act, then sometimes hey presto there are some very neat knock ons from it )
Old 07-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #3016
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Thats always the case both in the game and irl generally speaking (unless a player is not wanted for some reason) .... this is purely because its harder to find a replacement and then settle a player into a team during a season, not to mention the cost to the teams performances in the mean-time.

If for instance Liverpool sold Gerrard in the January transfer window then every week without him their team would be under-performing until a replacement was found and settled into the squad. This 'overall cost' to Liverpool is then 'priced' into the fee that they'd want in order to sell him (and if that team is still in European football or competing for a title that cost can be literally HUGE).
Old 07-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #3017
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In the English leagues, at what level should I start giving out full-time contracts?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #3018
chesapeake
College Starter

I use full-time contracts with Southport in the BSN and have no trouble balancing the budget. But my side is so bad right now I'd fire me if I were the chairman, so take that with a bucket of salt.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #3019
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
In the English leagues, at what level should I start giving out full-time contracts?

I generally give out full time contracts for my hot-prospects at any age.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #3020
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

As soon as you can - full-time contracts mean full-time training which in turn means better fitness and (hopefully) better performances ....

Also when in the lower leagues if you've any sort of prospects who are young (under 20 especially imho) then try and tie them down to a contract with some length while they want a pittance, its painful when your best player refuses to sign a contract with you because he knows bigger clubs are sniffing around ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-16-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #3021
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Thanks. Looks like I need to make some contract offers. I've been lucky enough to land six coaches when I was promoted to BSP so my training levels aren't bad. Now I just need to get the players training more often.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:38 AM   #3022
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That new goalie I was so chuffed about has finally started to gel with the squad and the defensive line is starting to even look stout at times. Unfortunately, that fancy new keeper is also the keeper for the Zambian national side, and as a result he's already missed four games of my 2018 season, which is just a little past half-way done, which is kind of a hassle.

Gotdamn Rushden board sold two of my best players out from under me for a total of $4MM, as I was dancing around the playoff cutoff, and then of course we fall a couple spots and the board is pissed at me, citing letting a star player go as their main complaint.....of course I didn't get a choice in that guy leaving, because the offer was 'too good to be true'.

Finally, at the end of the season, after not making the playoffs AGAIN, even though this team was clearly talented enough, I got canned.....CANNED! For the first time in a looooong time. Rushden can suck it. Looks like I'm headed back to the ol' Blue Square North!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #3023
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Are there any repercussions for terminating a loan early, either with the terminated player, with his actual team, or with your reputation in general as far as securing other loans?

I've had players I own step up and overtake some of those I have on loan, relegating the loaned players to the bench. I'd rather cut ties loose with them and attempt to fill some holes of players that are underachieving.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #3024
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Took HB's advice and took over Southhampton. I used knowledge from my old West Ham game and added Zavon Hines via Loan, plus a couple other guys from Chelsea and Man U. I figured we'd be good but we were exceptional. Hines scored 39 goals and we took 3rd in League 1. We easily won the playoff and headed up to the Championship League.

The oddsmakers gave us 3-1 odds to win the league which shocked me, and it made our expectations promotion or bust. Thankfully we were able to get Hines back and he scored 22 goals to lead us to a second place finish.

Now I am in the Premier League with several new players (I ended up buying Hines) but we're scuffling. It's still early but avoiding regulation is most assuredly the goal at this point.

Amazing how great this game is.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #3025
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

All three of my strikers and my two starting Center Defenders are out for 3-5 weeks. Sheesh.

Time for me to figure out a 2-8-0 formation tactic.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #3026
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Brief history of a game I'm running:

2009-2010: I started a game with Newcastle United, with the intent of playing with a 4-4-2 as my primary formation. I placed 3rd in the Championship, and won the playoffs to make it backl into the Premier league.

2010-2011: I signed several youngsters and free vets in the 2010-2011 season, had a blast of a season and ended up with the 6th best record in the league. We made it to the FA Cup Final, took out the favorites, Arsenal, with a surprise 2-0 win to win the cup.

2011-2012: Made several big moves with the money I was given, grabbing formidable strikers, relegating Andy Carroll, a first team mainstay, as a deputy striker. We also sign an aging David Beckham to a contract. We end the season 5th in the league, lose the League Cup Final 1-2 to Man City via a brutal 108th minute goal from Robinho in extra time.

We would find redemption, however, as we return to the FA Cup Final, this time against favorites Aston Villa. Probably the proudest moment of my tenure as Newcastle manager. At first, it was the League Cup Final all over again, with the Villains grabbing a big goal in the 114th minute of extra time, leading 2-1. Our defensive rock of a midfielder then gets red-carded and thrown out. Andy Carroll would save the day, however, and would net us a remarkable goal at the 118th minute to draw 2-2. We win penalties, 4-1. BAM. Back to back FA Cup Champs.

2012-2013: As much as I'd loved my time in Newcastle, Alex Ferguson just retired... and Manchester United called. I am now the new manager of Man U. They've underperformed the past two seasons, finishing 8th in 2011 and in 2012. Hopefully, I can usher them back into the Champions League this year. And, yes, I will be using the Four Four Two.

Quick update on my game

2012-2013: Managing Manchester United would prove to be a daunting task. I made several key purchases, specifically replacing Ben Foster with Hugo Lloris, and bringing in Hulk as the strike partnet to Wayne Rooney.

My 4-4-2 that worked so well with Newcastle did not translate well with Man U. We started the season completely out of balance losing games and giving up draws. I had to spend several months analyzing my team, taking a look at our weaknesses and how other teams were responding to us. Along the way, Fletcher and Rooney picked up long term injuries that hurt my chances.

I finally settle with a 4-4-2 that worked well, putting to use my talented, yet unaggressive midfield. Instead of pushing the ball forward to the flanks constantly, I decided to dominate the middle of the pitch and find either Hulk or Rooney with a well placed pass to the feet. Their overall skill would mean that they would be able to catch defenses offbalance.

We finish the season in 6th place in the League, we lose the League Cup Final against Arsenal, and get eliminated early in the FA Cup and the EURO Cup. We only managed to come together toward the end of the season.

The really good thing about last season? Hulk. 45 total appearances, 48 goals, 21 assists, 16 MOM. He was 2nd in the Premiere League in goals scored, with 26 goals and 13 assists, leading the league with a 7.78 rating.

Can't wait for the next season.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #3027
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
The really good thing about last season? Hulk.
The real question is did you visual his post match interviews in your head like I do? ... "Loss make Hulk ANGRRRYYYYY"
Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #3028
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Southampton have just been promoted to the Premiership.

I have just been given a $34 million transfer budget and my wage budget has just increased from $200,000 to $1.1 million.

I have a lot of work to do, but I really have to sleep on this. I need a clear head about me and razor sharp focus. If not, I will burn through that $34 million in a second and then realize I have 5 starting caliber DMCs and no Defensive leftbacks or attacking right midfielders.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #3029
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Chelsea can die in a fire

The schedule makers that gave me Chelsea twice, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Real Madrid in a 3 week period can die in a fire.

The League Cup can die in a fire for drawing me to play at Chelsea for like 4 straight years.

My physios can all die in a fire...

Ugh... had an unusal evening where I actually had a few hours to myself for the first time in months so decided to see how far I could progress. I've had more 1-0 games this evening than I can ever remember.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #3030
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
The real question is did you visual his post match interviews in your head like I do? ... "Loss make Hulk ANGRRRYYYYY"

Hahaha. I actually picture him going berserk against weaker teams... he ratcheted his goal total by delivering hat tricks against the lesser teams in the Premiere League.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #3031
digamma
Torchbearer

I would love it if anybody...anybody could have something more than "no intention" to play for my team.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #3032
Anthony
Banned

i wish there was a way to sim games without playing them, or at the very least have it so that someone on my staff could set up all the tactics and duties and rolls and assignments. my skills are in assembling teams, not necessarily game plans (my gripe with FOF as well).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #3033
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
i wish there was a way to sim games without playing them, or at the very least have it so that someone on my staff could set up all the tactics and duties and rolls and assignments. my skills are in assembling teams, not necessarily game plans (my gripe with FOF as well).

You can "go on holiday" for one day on every match day. It can basically be used as a sim button.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #3034
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Today, I finally achieved promotion to the Premiership with Alfreton. We finished second in 2018/19, and have thus achieved moving up from the BSN to the Premiership in 10 seasons.

What chaffes is that we could have won the Championship, but we let a draw get away from us and we wound up one point behind Ipswich. Had we tied, we had them beat on GD.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #3035
Warhammer
Pro Starter

When you get TV money, when does that hit the club's coffers?
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #3036
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
When you get TV money, when does that hit the club's coffers?

Monthly on the 1st of every month.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #3037
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I would love it if anybody...anybody could have something more than "no intention" to play for my team.

try searching for players, go to edit filters, and check the box where your assistant filters out unrealistic targets
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #3038
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
Monthly on the 1st of every month.

Dang it, I was hoping to get a $48M slug of money.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #3039
digamma
Torchbearer

I appear to have sprung a leak in my back room. The last three or four potential transfers I've had have all found their way into the papers, with two of them causing other offers and the guys to go elsewhere. Do I just have to wait until my assistant figures out who it is?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #3040
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I appear to have sprung a leak in my back room. The last three or four potential transfers I've had have all found their way into the papers, with two of them causing other offers and the guys to go elsewhere. Do I just have to wait until my assistant figures out who it is?

Do bear in mind it might NOT be your backroom - if a player isn't particularly loyal or is extremely ambitious then he might leak details of a transfer himself in order to see if other clubs are interested.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #3041
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do bear in mind it might NOT be your backroom - if a player isn't particularly loyal or is extremely ambitious then he might leak details of a transfer himself in order to see if other clubs are interested.

FAR TOO DETAILED AND REALISTIC!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #3042
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
FAR TOO DETAILED AND REALISTIC!!!

hahaaha, that's what i'm saying. how can this be programmed into a game? the AI in this game is self-aware, this game should be brought to the attention of the DoD LOL.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #3043
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
hahaaha, that's what i'm saying. how can this be programmed into a game? the AI in this game is self-aware, this game should be brought to the attention of the DoD LOL.

Each person in the game has a personality profile built into him which allows the game to emulate his personality as closely as possible to his real-life counter-part (where applicable).

Each aspect of a persons personality (of which for FMH there are 8 'areas' and for FM PC far more) is rated between 1 and 20 to give different 'extremes' of scale for each area.

These aspects are then combined to give a rounded look to a players personality, for instance a player might be ambitious (ambition 20) but loyal (loyalty 20).

If thats the case then he'll be the type of player who wants the team to do well and gets on the backs of others to do bettter. He'll probably request high wages and threaten to move occassionally but will ultimately back down if his bluff is called (think Steven Gerrard irl).

Combine this character with good leadership and he'll inspire his team-mates, combine it with poor leadership and high professionalism and he'll probably be seen as a pain in the arse and if his talent isn't high enough might even be an object of ridicule by less professional team-mates.

(this is where the inter person relationships come in)

Finally personalities can change over time within the game (sometimes more or less randomly to simulate influences from outside the game, sometimes because of how they're treated in game (either by you or other people)) and relationships with other people in the game will also evolve and change.

Most of this sort of thing isn't particularly 'rocket-science' to implement, its the tuning and building upon multiple aspects which give FM its well rounded and 'realistic' feel to things, something which tbh is far easier to do over time gradually .... which is why our game engines are planned to evolve over a long period of time rather than be built and thrown away.

If anyone wants a more detailed explanation of how to simulate this sort of thing then feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to go into further detail but I don't want to bore the non-geeks here with pages of blurb ...

PS - Anthony, FM AI is only 'self-aware' in the way in which its coded, its great at simulating the world of football and the people within it ... ask it to make a cup of tea and it'll tend to ignore you totally
That being said when the AI in game does something unexpected which is the combination of several other aspects of the games personality simulation its fantastically rewarding for me as a developer, I still remember watching a match simulation in CM3 and seeing a player get fouled - have the referee ignore it, then the aggreived person follow the opposition player around the pitch and take him down next time he got the ball. All that happened because players get 'wound up' short-term within the match, if someone is fouled by a player it adjusts his personality model for a period of time (based upon his mood & current score) and that in turn did enough to want him to take revenge ... a small thing but blooming satisfying .... it also allows for 'crafty' tactics like victimising opposition players with yellow cards, set someone to hard tackling and man-marking on them and if you're lucky they'll be unprofessional enough to retaliate and find themselves sent off.
PPS - Sorry starting to drivel on now

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-19-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #3044
Anthony
Banned

i dont like soccer but this is the only game where i can get the level of sophistication, player/media interaction, and eye on finances that i require in a text sim, which is probably a testament to how great the programming is in this game. just goes to show if you make a good game it doesn't matter what the sport is.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #3045
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Each person in the game has a personality profile built into him which allows the game to emulate his personality as closely as possible to his real-life counter-part (where applicable).

Each aspect of a persons personality (of which for FMH there are 8 'areas' and for FM PC far more) is rated between 1 and 20 to give different 'extremes' of scale for each area.

These aspects are then combined to give a rounded look to a players personality, for instance a player might be ambitious (ambition 20) but loyal (loyalty 20).

If thats the case then he'll be the type of player who wants the team to do well and gets on the backs of others to do bettter. He'll probably request high wages and threaten to move occassionally but will ultimately back down if his bluff is called (think Steven Gerrard irl).

Combine this character with good leadership and he'll inspire his team-mates, combine it with poor leadership and high professionalism and he'll probably be seen as a pain in the arse and if his talent isn't high enough might even be an object of ridicule by less professional team-mates.

(this is where the inter person relationships come in)

Finally personalities can change over time within the game (sometimes more or less randomly to simulate influences from outside the game, sometimes because of how they're treated in game (either by you or other people)) and relationships with other people in the game will also evolve and change.

Most of this sort of thing isn't particularly 'rocket-science' to implement, its the tuning and building upon multiple aspects which give FM its well rounded and 'realistic' feel to things, something which tbh is far easier to do over time gradually .... which is why our game engines are planned to evolve over a long period of time rather than be built and thrown away.

If anyone wants a more detailed explanation of how to simulate this sort of thing then feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to go into further detail but I don't want to bore the non-geeks here with pages of blurb ...

PS - Anthony, FM AI is only 'self-aware' in the way in which its coded, its great at simulating the world of football and the people within it ... ask it to make a cup of tea and it'll tend to ignore you totally
That being said when the AI in game does something unexpected which is the combination of several other aspects of the games personality simulation its fantastically rewarding for me as a developer, I still remember watching a match simulation in CM3 and seeing a player get fouled - have the referee ignore it, then the aggreived person follow the opposition player around the pitch and take him down next time he got the ball. All that happened because players get 'wound up' short-term within the match, if someone is fouled by a player it adjusts his personality model for a period of time (based upon his mood & current score) and that in turn did enough to want him to take revenge ... a small thing but blooming satisfying .... it also allows for 'crafty' tactics like victimising opposition players with yellow cards, set someone to hard tackling and man-marking on them and if you're lucky they'll be unprofessional enough to retaliate and find themselves sent off.
PPS - Sorry starting to drivel on now

This here is why I am having such a pain in the ass time with Birmingham City right now...I have some players that are overconfident going into games, I have others that are feeling entitled and I it's tough...I built an amazing team around me at Diss that were all fairly the same...the group of different personalities here...is awesome.

Prime example....GK bitches about lack of 1st team action, I am playing the more expensive keeper, then truly look at the two and the one bitching is the better...but in the meantime, he demanded a transfer and I denied it, knowing he was my 1st team keeper...He has been playing as the 1st team keeper and will not resign for any amount of money, he wants to be gone, so I shipped him out.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #3046
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
You can "go on holiday" for one day on every match day. It can basically be used as a sim button.

i do that for friendlies, but for the regular games i actually wanna watch them. how can you not wanna watch a text sim game with actually little players running around on the screen? also helps me understand who isn't performing to my standards. if you see a stat that says a striker had 8 scoring chances but only 4 of them were on net you might be tempted to say "ok, 50% of his kicks had a chance of going in" but if you watch and see that the ones he missed were ones where he was passed the defenders and only had the keeper to beat and simply kicked the ball to the stands for no reason - well, that's key. i don't want that guy in big games. i don't even read the text at the bottom in this game, i makes in-game changes based on what i'm seeing, which i imagine is what real managers do .
Old 07-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #3047
Anthony
Banned

one thing i have to try to find (and post here) is this blog of tactics someone created where he explained some tips on the in-game instructions. like he was saying if you have a lead and want to keep it you'd select "Contain" strategy, couple that with "pass to feet" (for more accurate, less risky passes) and "hassle opponents", or if you need to equalise you'd select "Overload" strategy for all out emphasis on scoring with "Get Ball Forward". i thought that was helpful, and is really amazing to have different combos of instructions.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #3048
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
i do that for friendlies, but for the regular games i actually wanna watch them. how can you not wanna watch a text sim game with actually little players running around on the screen? also helps me understand who isn't performing to my standards. if you see a stat that says a striker had 8 scoring chances but only 4 of them were on net you might be tempted to say "ok, 50% of his kicks had a chance of going in" but if you watch and see that the ones he missed were ones where he was passed the defenders and only had the keeper to beat and simply kicked the ball to the stands for no reason - well, that's key. i don't want that guy in big games. i don't even read the text at the bottom in this game, i makes in-game changes based on what i'm seeing, which i imagine is what real managers do .

In case you aren't aware you can watch matches 'after' the event - so sim a day and then view what happened in retrospect, you lose the anticipation but you'll be able to rate the players and you weren't going to make decisions anyway ...

PS - I have to admit I haven't tried this in about 5 years, but I expect its still possible unless someones accidentally removed it in a recent update ....

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-19-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 AM   #3049
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
In case you aren't aware you can watch matches 'after' the event - so sim a day and then view what happened in retrospect, you lose the anticipation but you'll be able to rate the players and you weren't going to make decisions anyway ...

PS - I have to admit I haven't tried this in about 5 years, but I expect its still possible unless someones accidentally removed it in a recent update ....

Its still possible, my roommate did it last night
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #3050
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Finally made it to the Premiership and I think I have spent more time in the off-season this year than at anytime since first starting the game...