Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #3001
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So does it compare favorably to the Street Fighter movie with Jean Claude Van Damme in it?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #3002
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
So does it compare favorably to the Street Fighter movie with Jean Claude Van Damme in it?

Most definitely not. It made that movie look like a masterpiece.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 02-28-2009 at 07:16 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #3003
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Talk to Her ?/10 I really don't know how to rate this movie. It was entertaining, but it also featured many shots of naked, unconscious women. Or maybe I mean to say "and it also featured many shots of naked, unconscious women?" I don't think I recommend it to anyone and I wouldn't watch it again, but I certainly don't feel like I wasted 2 hours of my life like I do after some movies (3:10 to Yuma, I'm looking at you!)
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #3004
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Langoliers (TV Movie) 6/10 - This was on consecutively last night on the scary channel (don't remember the name)

It was predictably bad in a TV movie kind of way, but still a spectacular Stephen King short story adapted to the visual medium.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #3005
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Most definitely not. It made that movie look like a masterpiece.

/tk

That movie WAS a masterpiece.

"But for me, it was Tuesday."

Raul Julia's finest moment for sure.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #3006
DataKing
Pro Rookie

World Trade Center (9.5 / 10): Just. Fucking. Wow. I reserve a 10/10 rating for truly earth-shattering movie experiences (Goodfellas, Memento, Saving Private Ryan, things like that), but this one comes damn close. I was admittedly hesitant going in, because this is an Oliver Stone product, and I can do without his political sentiments and conspiracy theories. But World Trade Center contained none of these. The story revolves completely around a group of Port Authority cops and their families on 9/11, without a hint of conspiracy or political blame for the events of that day. And the emotional response this film yanked out of me was...unexpected...and very, very powerful. It goes to show just how good a film-maker Stone is, if he'd just leave his crackpot ideas at the door.

Into the Blue (6 / 10): I wasn't expecting much out of this, except to see Jessica Alba and Ashley Scott running around in bikinis for two hours (certainly wasn't disappointed on that front ). But the plot was actually half-way decent, if somewhat predictable. Some of the silly over-the-top sentimentality aside, this was actually pretty enjoyable, though I am getting a little tired of the blazing-hot-chick-with-the-heart-of-gold (see Megan Fox in Transformers), because they just don't f*cking exist. But I digress (I'm not bitter). Into the Blue was OK overall, but fair warning, it does get a little gruesome in spots towards the end (think shark attack).
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #3007
Butter
Coordinator

Smart People - 4.5

Who the fuck cast Dennis Quaid in this? They should lose their license for casting, or whatever.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #3008
boberot
High School Varsity

I'm Not There [3/10]
This movie is supposedly a Bob Dylan biopic, where Bob is portrayed by six different actors representing different "sides" of Dylan or different eras in his life.

I like to consider myself somebody who searches for more than standard blockbuster fare in my movie consumption. I don't need things to make sense right away, of have a linear narrative hook. I like when films take chances and try to do things a little different.

That being said, I gave up after 90 minutes of this film [with 45 still to go]. While certain elements were done with great artistry, overall I felt it was a confusing pastiche that really never attempted to come together in any kind of recognizable structure. Some of the different characterizations of Bob were not abundantly obvious.

Despite some great music, I found myself not really caring enough to try to muddle through the last third of the movie. I give it 3/10 for the great tunes, a good performance by Cate Blanchett and the really ambitious scope, which apparently worked for people who are smarter or more into abstract expressionism than me.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #3009
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The Langoliers (TV Movie) 6/10 - This was on consecutively last night on the scary channel (don't remember the name)

It was predictably bad in a TV movie kind of way, but still a spectacular Stephen King short story adapted to the visual medium.

They did a decent job with this one IMO. It's up there with the Stand, Storm of The Century and a few others. Won't win any oscars but a decent way to kill some time. And having Balky as the crazy bad guy is pretty cool.

Me and the Mrs. were in ultra lazy mode yesterday and watched the whole LOTR trilogy on TNT HD, it was pretty sweet.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #3010
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Miracle at St Anna- 2/10. Basically horrible and overlong. Spike Lee needs to stick to urban comedies cause he does those well. Middle part of the movie with the stupid kid was every bit as bad as "Simple Jack". There are a couple nice boobs on the Italian girl which count for one star alone. The opening of the movie had a ton of promise then it just went into a long sleep. The ending was a major let down as well. Basically there was enough plot here for an hour long TV show like Without a Trace or CSI:NY. Avoid at all costs. The buffalo soldiers deserved better than this.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #3011
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
I'm Not There [3/10]
This movie is supposedly a Bob Dylan biopic, where Bob is portrayed by six different actors representing different "sides" of Dylan or different eras in his life.

I like to consider myself somebody who searches for more than standard blockbuster fare in my movie consumption. I don't need things to make sense right away, of have a linear narrative hook. I like when films take chances and try to do things a little different.

That being said, I gave up after 90 minutes of this film [with 45 still to go]. While certain elements were done with great artistry, overall I felt it was a confusing pastiche that really never attempted to come together in any kind of recognizable structure. Some of the different characterizations of Bob were not abundantly obvious.

Despite some great music, I found myself not really caring enough to try to muddle through the last third of the movie. I give it 3/10 for the great tunes, a good performance by Cate Blanchett and the really ambitious scope, which apparently worked for people who are smarter or more into abstract expressionism than me.

Echoes my experience/feelings on the movie exactly. I love me some Dylan as much as the next person, and appreciate what the movie is saying about him... But I found parts of the movie to be almost unwatchable.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #3012
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Me and the Mrs. were in ultra lazy mode yesterday and watched the whole LOTR trilogy on TNT HD, it was pretty sweet.

Those movies look so good on TNT HD. I find it hard to turn them off, despite having all the DVDs right there below the TV.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #3013
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Body of Lies - 6.5/10

This movie should have been much better, and when I first saw the previews I expected it to be an upper echelon type. Heard some pretty average to bad reviews so I held off, and it was warranted. Leo was really good, as was the guy who played the main dude in Jordan, but the plot wasn't real strong and I didn't like the direction it took towards the end (related to Leo's character). Good pacing though and some nice explosions.

That's about where I have it. Crowes character was poorly written. Seemed way too similar in theme to Syriana which was a much better movie. Leo was great. And I liked the Iranian girl. I expected more and was disappointed. I'd give it a 5.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #3014
Lorena
Unregistered

Munich - 5/10

I hate movies that confuse me, this one did because too many characters were introduced out of nowhere. That and it was too long.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #3015
molson
General Manager

The Reader: 8.5/10

I wasn't expecting much here because The Reader has been sort of universally considered as the "other" movie nominated for best picture (and someone in another thread considered it a "sham" that this was nominated over dark knight). And of course also, there's a billion holocaust movies and hollywood's fascination with that time period is a little tiring.

But I thought it was great. I've read some of the bad reviews and I think they completely miss the point. I think some people are disturbed when any of the participants on the losing side of WWII are treated as anything but robotic, emotionless, killing machines.

I've read some reviews that criticize how we're asked to "feel sorry" for Winslet's character, and I think that completely misses the mark. The character is clearly weak and pathetic and unsympathetic. That kind of portrayal (also seen in Downfall, another solid WW2 movie), destroys our delusion that we're so morally superior to Nazis. That's a delusion that comforts us, but I don't think its accurate. Evil exists within humanity itself, and it can emerge strongly in certain times and places in history. It's not the individual people. There wasn't something in the water in German that created armies of souless dark warriors. They were just normal, flawed people like anyone else. Circumstances plus an extraordinary individual = Nazis. (And I'm not using "extraordinary" in the positive sense there, of course I just mean someone that was completely out of the ordinary in ways that ignited a firestorm in that time and place).

It's a very simple story, but thoughtful and interesting.

And a lot better than Dark Knight....Dark Knight was fun, and maybe I'm just snobby, but something like The Reader just belongs in categories like Best Picture in a way the Dark Knight doesn't. Dark Knight deserves its billions, the Reader deserves its awards and nominations. Both are winners in what they do, its just that the prizes are different.

And also, Kate Winslet is naked a lot.

Last edited by molson : 03-08-2009 at 08:56 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #3016
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Watchmen - 8/10: Never read the book, but I thought this was a very well done movie. Was it long? Yeah, but they needed it to be long to fully explain the world... and it really didn't feel that long. Casting was done very well, especially Rorshack. Very good, some funny parts at times, and good specially effects. I even liked the slow mo ultra violence. Worked better here than in 300.

And the opening credits (to Dylan's "Times Are a Changing") were a great introduction and hilarious.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #3017
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Mummy 3 - 'Curse of Some Chinese Emperor Dude' : 4/10 I generally like the first 2 Mummy movies, but this one.. I just couldn't get past the pairing of Fraser with his replacement wife and the son that looked like the same age as him. And then the other girl is trying to kill his son and then falls in love with him 5 minutes later. What the hell? And for good measure, let's throw some Yeti in there... ya, Yeti, that'll help.

Die Hard 4 : 9/10 Typical Die Hard with SPLOSIONS!!! And McClane gets his ass kicked and bloodied earlier in the movie than normal. Although, I love Die Hard so, would be pretty hard to f up this series for me.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #3018
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
I'm Not There [3/10]

Been awhile since I've seen it but I remember liking but not loving it, I'd be more of a 6/10.

I thought what you found a confusing pastiche was actually a really successful part of the film. Dylan has made himself deliberately obscure and hard to define, and I thought the different characterizations captured those intentional (or unintentional) contradictions very well. And the music really was awesome.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #3019
Butter
Coordinator

Frozen River - 9

Melissa Leo and Misty Upham deliver fantastic performances in this different tale that starts out looking like it's going to be a character drama, then turns into a crime drama/suspense thriller and a damn effective one at that. Not many of these types of movies feature 2 female leads, and Leo probably should've won the Oscar for this role (though I haven't seen most of the others, so I'll reserve judgment). Certain aspects of the story are a bit lacking, but I think it's by design. Who are the people being ferried? We never really find out, but mostly because the 2 main characters don't care either... they are a means to an end. HIGHLY recommended.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #3020
DataKing
Pro Rookie

RocknRolla (4/10): Guy Ritchie's latest effort, and frankly, a bit of a disappointment. I don't know if it's just that Ritchie's novelty has worn off for me or what, but I could never get into this one. None of the characters ever really endeared themselves to me enough for me to give a shit what happened to them. Overall I'd call it a semi-stinker, although there are a few redeeming moments (the interactions between One Two and Handsome Bob were pretty funny).

Shooter (6.5/10): The plot in this one was nothing original (expert sniper is set up as an assassin in a conspiracy), but the action was decent and enjoyable. Some pretty well-done military scenes in this one. Check it out if that's your sort of thing. I do have to voice one particular complaint though, which is a common one for me with Mark Wahlberg. He mumbles. Alot. I have a hard time understanding him in a lot of the movies he's in, and in this one Danny Glover followed suit. I found the dialogue with both of them especially hard to follow in spots.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #3021
Lorena
Unregistered

Hitch - 7/10

To me, it seemed some stuff was thrown in there for laughs, but in the end, it was a fun.

Last edited by Lorena : 03-13-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #3022
AlexB
Pro Starter

Finally caught Quadrophenia tongiht - cool film! 30 years old, but basically everybody who had even a supporting role has been a stalwart on English TV & film since. 8/10.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #3023
Lorena
Unregistered

Watchmen - 4/10

I actually clonked during a few scenes. Nothing pulled me and the only 2 characters I remotely cared about were Dr. Manhattan and the masked guy. The Laurie character did just enough just like Jessica Alba did for the Fantastic 4 which was close to nothing. Slow, and when it finally got good, it was pretty close to being over. Even the ending was too long.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #3024
Lorena
Unregistered

Pineapple Express - 6.5/10

I forgot we saw this last night. It had its moments.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #3025
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh no! I think I gave it a similar rating, Lorena... what's going on?!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #3026
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Oh no! I think I gave it a similar rating, Lorena... what's going on?!

OH noes!!1!!!11!
Old 03-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #3027
Crim
College Benchwarmer

There Will Be Blood - 4/10

I think I missed the joke somewhere. DDL was compelling simply through his unrelenting intensity. The rest of the movie was meh.

And the soundtrack was horrid. Horridly horrible. It reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut, which had the worst soundtrack of any movie in the history of talking pictures.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:45 PM   #3028
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
There Will Be Blood - 4/10

I think I missed the joke somewhere. DDL was compelling simply through his unrelenting intensity. The rest of the movie was meh.

And the soundtrack was horrid. Horridly horrible. It reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut, which had the worst soundtrack of any movie in the history of talking pictures.

I really liked the soundtrack. It sure was different. I admit I may be biased by knowing it was made by the guitarist of one of my favorite bands of all time.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #3029
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
It reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut, which had the worst soundtrack of any movie in the history of talking pictures.

Yes, that is one awful, painful soundtrack.

Last edited by Bad-example : 03-16-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #3030
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford (5 / 10): I felt a bit misled by this one. What I thought might be a rather cool western ended up being just a character study of Jesse James and his assassin Robert Ford. The one saving grace to this one was Casey Affleck's performance. The more I see of him on the screen, the more impressed I am with him, and I was riveted by his performance as Ford. Scenes without him, however, were boring. It's pretty obvious to me where the acting talent fell in the Affleck family tree.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #3031
Lorena
Unregistered

Garden State - 7.5/10

Sweet, quirky characters. Really enjoyed Natalie Portman and Zach Braff basically playing his Scrubs character but very low key and depressed.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #3032
Butter
Coordinator

I Love You, Man - 8

Couldn't have been much better. Paul Rudd and Jason Segel had outstanding chemistry. Am def. adding "totes magotes" to my regular lingo.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #3033
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Watchmen - 8/10

I finally saw it last weekend in iMax glory.

While there are a few things I would have tweaked and few things that didn't quite work, overall I thought it was great. I can't really imagine there being a better film adaptation of the comics. In particular, Rorshach, Dr. Manhattan, the Comedian, and Nite Owl were spot on perfect.

I want to see it again. Badly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 AM   #3034
chinaski
College Prospect

Seen a bunch of great movies lately, seems like the last 6 months have been filled with great stuff.

Watchmen - 8/10. Ive never read the comic and really had no clue what to expect going in. I assumed there would be a lot more action, what is in there is very well done, but its no way like a Sin City or Dark Knight. The 3 hours cruised by and i was fully engrossed the whole time (accept maybe the Skinamax sex scene, that was dumb). Very good mix of action, social commentary and drama, cant wait to see it again.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 9/10. I really expected to not like this movie. I dont know why. Kinda late on seeing it and all ive heard is how awesome it is or how boring it is. Boring seemed most likely, well, I loved it. Im kinda a sucker for romantic movies and this one tore me up. Its just a beautiful story, I loved every second of it.

I Love You Man - 7.5/10. I thought this was a Apatow flick, it easily could have passed as one. Rudd/Segel are pretty damn funny. Theres a lot of talk about how Paul Rudd is coming into his own, but I really think Jason Segel is the guy id put my money on. Hes excellent in Forgetting Sarah Marshall (8/10) and now in this.

Slumdog Millionaire - 10/10. Fully lives up to its oscar hype. Just watched it, blew me away.

Ong-Bak - 7/10. Im no karate film expert, but I have little doubt this has to be one of the best ones ever made. Tony Jaa vs all other karate film stars is like comparing how skateboarders were in the 80's to present day. Does that make sense? I dont think so, all I know is that Tony Jaa is ridiculously better than Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Jett Lee.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:48 AM   #3035
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Ong-Bak - 7/10. Im no karate film expert, but I have little doubt this has to be one of the best ones ever made. Tony Jaa vs all other karate film stars is like comparing how skateboarders were in the 80's to present day. Does that make sense? I dont think so, all I know is that Tony Jaa is ridiculously better than Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Jett Lee.

His ridiculous romp through the alleyway with all those stunts was amazing.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #3036
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Watchmen - 8/10. Ive never read the comic and really had no clue what to expect going in. I assumed there would be a lot more action, what is in there is very well done, but its no way like a Sin City or Dark Knight. The 3 hours cruised by and i was fully engrossed the whole time (accept maybe the Skinamax sex scene, that was dumb). Very good mix of action, social commentary and drama, cant wait to see it again.

I totally agree about the sex scene. Given the length of the movie and everything they had to cut, they really could have shortened that scene by a good 30 seconds and it would have been enough. (Snyder seems to like them for some reason, there was a similar type scene in "300".) Despite the fact that the owl jet "ejaculating" fire was a shot taken directly from a panel in the comic, the film probably could have done without.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #3037
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Agreed with the sex scene in Watchmen and i will add that watching the anatomically correct Dr Manhattan walk around minus loincloth was a bit annoying but when i went back and looked at the comic it was right there as well.

Loved the movie and would give it an 8/10 but suspect watching it a couple more times might actually improve the score especially an extended version.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #3038
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Agreed with the sex scene in Watchmen and i will add that watching the anatomically correct Dr Manhattan walk around minus loincloth was a bit annoying but when i went back and looked at the comic it was right there as well.

Loved the movie and would give it an 8/10 but suspect watching it a couple more times might actually improve the score especially an extended version.

I barely noticed the anatomically correct Dr. Manhattan. I mean, by the way folks went on and on and on about in reviews and such, I imagined the movie was just going to be a bunch of low angle shots of Dr. Manhattan's crotch and and shots of him gesturing every which way with this hips. It really was a total non-factor.

It is in the comic and it's a nice, if even somewhat important, detail. You'll notice in all of the flashbacks that Dr. Manhattan is wearing clothes of some sort, even when in private. His nakedness is supposed to signal is continued distancing from humanity and the world itself; his "losing touch" if you will.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #3039
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Completely understood but i really ahdn't noticed it in the comic or at least did not remember it. I did go see this at the IMAX so maybe that contributed to it.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:47 AM   #3040
rowech
Pro Starter

Blade Runner (5/10) -- I guess I understand why a lot of people like it. You can see some elements of The Terminator in it. Some of the stuff was probably very groundbreaking in the scifi genre. Unfortunately, I just didn't care that much about the movie itself.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 AM   #3041
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Blade Runner (5/10) -- I guess I understand why a lot of people like it. You can see some elements of The Terminator in it. Some of the stuff was probably very groundbreaking in the scifi genre. Unfortunately, I just didn't care that much about the movie itself.

I love Sci-Fi, I love Philip K. Dick, I love the book. I don't like this movie. Not at all.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #3042
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Monsters vs. Aliens - 8/10

The movie really made me laugh a lot.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 03-29-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #3043
rowech
Pro Starter

I Love You Man (7/10) -- Enjoyed it but wasn't gaga over it like a lot of other folks have been. Segal is very funny, Rudd is okay but I got tired of his character/antics. The homage to Rush throughout is good too.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #3044
rowech
Pro Starter

Ghost Town (8/10) -- You've seen a movie or movies like this probably dozens of times but it's pretty well done, pretty entertaining, and overall likeable. Pacing is about right, not drawn out at all. Pretty good date type movie in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #3045
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ghost Town (8/10) -- You've seen a movie or movies like this probably dozens of times but it's pretty well done, pretty entertaining, and overall likeable. Pacing is about right, not drawn out at all. Pretty good date type movie in my opinion.

I liked this one, too. I was probably unduly influenced, because I saw it shortly after coming back from my trip to New York, which I had enjoyed immensely. It was a ton of fun seeing places I myself had just been at (there were spots in the movie where I was thinking, "Man, I was literally standing on that spot just a couple weeks ago...").

But, yeah, it's a solid movie, and the lead grew on me a lot as the movie went by (didn't like him much at the start).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #3046
Taur
High School Varsity

Knowing 7/10 better than Signs, but not much.

And What is up with the black rocks? 5 black rocks under the bed, 1 black rock at the car accident, and the kid is given 1???
Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 AM   #3047
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I Love You Man- 4/10

Paul Rudd making up slang words for 90 minutes. Segel was funny, though.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #3048
Lorena
Unregistered

Monsters vs. Aliens - 7.5/10

If this movie wasn't in 3D, I wouldn't have seen it. I was expecting Colbert to be funnier, but he was entertaining as was Seth Rogen's character, he was a riot. The global warming line had me loling... good solid movie.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #3049
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I Love You Man (7/10) -- Enjoyed it but wasn't gaga over it like a lot of other folks have been. Segal is very funny, Rudd is okay but I got tired of his character/antics. The homage to Rush throughout is good too.

I've always though Rudd is much better as a supporting guy like he was in Sarah MArshell
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #3050
KWhit
Coordinator

Let the Right One In (9/10)

This was great. A Swedish vampire film that is intelligent, subtle, and thought-provoking. The performances were great and the cinematography beautiful. I really enjoyed it and as time has passed and I have thought about it more, I like it better and better. That's rare. Usually, the more I dwell on a movie the more I pick it apart and remember its flaws, but this just lends itself to examination on a deeper level than almost any movie I've seen in the past couple of years.

Great stuff.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote