Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #3051
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Adventureland - 7/10: A pretty well done movie from the director of Superbad. It was more amusing than laugh out loud (but there were some definite laugh out loud moments). Kristin Stewart really was amazing as Em. She had the role that could make or break the movie and she totally hit all the right notes. I can see why she was picked for Bella in Twilight, but this movie definitely shows how bad the director of that movie was to make her seem so pedestrian there. Main character was also acted very well by Jesse Eisenburg (who appears to be an up-and-comer based on the number movies he's supposed to be in, as lead in, over this year and the next) and Ryan Reynolds did a very great job as a cool guy cad.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #3052
Swaggs
Coordinator

Adventureland -- 8.5/10: I had been looking forward to this for awhile and saw it yesterday. I thought it would be a little more slapstick-ish, but it was kind of a more somber, dramady about figuring out what to do after graduating from college (in a "now what?" sense).

I agree with Imran about Stewart -- I've heard of her and seen her in magazines and on talk shows (w/ all the Twilight pub), but this is the first film I have seen her in since Panic Room and she was really impressive. Very expressive, non-verbally in a few of the scenes where she and the male lead were having awkward moments. The male lead, Jesse Eisenberg, was pretty solid in a role that seemed to be in the Michael Cera mold. Lots of solid role players, as well. Martin Starr from Freaks and Geeks was very good and SNLers Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig were hilarious in every scene they appeared in. Reynolds was actually pretty impressive playing a non-Van Wilder-type role, as a more brooding, troubled character.

A very enjoyable film that was worth seeing at the theatre. I have been thinking about it quite a bit since seeing it, which is always good.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #3053
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have to say, based on the fact that everyone was incredible acting wise in the film, including, as you say, Reynolds in a more brooding, troubled character (though the first scene, the "who is he", you see him in is hilarious).

I think that speaks very highly to director Greg Mottola's skill. Following "Superbad" up with this makes me want to see whatever he does next (which is apparently the next Pegg/Frost film... niiiice).
Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #3054
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have to say, based on the fact that everyone was incredible acting wise in the film, including, as you say, Reynolds in a more brooding, troubled character (though the first scene, the "who is he", you see him in is hilarious).

I think that speaks very highly to director Greg Mottola's skill. Following "Superbad" up with this makes me want to see whatever he does next (which is apparently the next Pegg/Frost film... niiiice).

Agreed on both counts.

Reynolds still pulled off cool and funny, but there was a lot more depth to his character (in a relatively small amount of screen time) than usual.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #3055
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Adventureland -- 8.5/10: I had been looking forward to this for awhile and saw it yesterday. I thought it would be a little more slapstick-ish, but it was kind of a more somber, dramady about figuring out what to do after graduating from college (in a "now what?" sense).

I agree with Imran about Stewart -- I've heard of her and seen her in magazines and on talk shows (w/ all the Twilight pub), but this is the first film I have seen her in since Panic Room and she was really impressive. Very expressive, non-verbally in a few of the scenes where she and the male lead were having awkward moments. The male lead, Jesse Eisenberg, was pretty solid in a role that seemed to be in the Michael Cera mold. Lots of solid role players, as well. Martin Starr from Freaks and Geeks was very good and SNLers Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig were hilarious in every scene they appeared in. Reynolds was actually pretty impressive playing a non-Van Wilder-type role, as a more brooding, troubled character.

A very enjoyable film that was worth seeing at the theatre. I have been thinking about it quite a bit since seeing it, which is always good.

Agreed totally with this. Bill Hader was PERFECT in this move too, with his bombastic humor. The moments they did the crazy stuff, he did all of it, and did it great. He'll never be star leading a movie imo, but he will always be an amazing complement in a movie.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #3056
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Agreed on both counts.

Reynolds still pulled off cool and funny, but there was a lot more depth to his character (in a relatively small amount of screen time) than usual.

Yep, yep... most of the reviews said this was a film that didn't tred new ground (its fairly cookie cutter when you think about it), but everything was done so well and all the cookie cutter characters had far more depth than the usual type of these kinds of movies.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #3057
rowech
Pro Starter

Adventureland -- (7/10) -- I feel like the movie was probably written for Michael Cerra and he turned it down. Not sure...just felt that way with the way the lead actor played it. I thought it was a good movie but not a great movie. I would much rather watch Dazed and Confused if you compare the two although I can appreciate that a different era will yield a different movie.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #3058
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Adventureland -- (7/10) -- I feel like the movie was probably written for Michael Cerra and he turned it down. Not sure...just felt that way with the way the lead actor played it. I thought it was a good movie but not a great movie. I would much rather watch Dazed and Confused if you compare the two although I can appreciate that a different era will yield a different movie.

Interesting, because other than there being nostalgic elements and it involving relatively young actors, I don't see those two movies as being very much comparable. They seem to be going for entirely different effects (and, FTR, I enjoyed both).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #3059
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As for the Cera comparisons. I think we may have to accept that the somewhat vulnerable leading late teens/early 20s role isn't just for Michael Cera anymore .

Saying that, I think that Eisenberg's greater aggressiveness in certain parts of the movie work better with him than, say, Cera, in the role.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #3060
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Fast and Furious (6/10) This is a tough one for me to separate what I like and what's actually quality. I loved the first movie, never saw the second because Diesel wasn't in it, and avoided #3 because, well, no one was in it (did finally see it a couple months ago on cable, and it was 'meh'). So knowing Diesel and Walker were coming back for #4 was reason enough for me to check it out. Basically, you get what you ask for. Lots of hot rod cars, speed, explosions, beautiful women wearing next to nothing, etc. etc. And the usual cookie cutter villains, bad lines, and plot holes you could drive a ten-second car through. When it comes down to it, I liked the interplay between Walker and Diesel in the first one, and I like it again here. And I like the razzle dazzle stuff. Other than that, pretty forgettable. Anyone who cannot turn off their brain during viewing should not bother.

Adventureland (8/10) I think when I walked out it was a 7, maybe a 7.5. Now, after thinking about it some more, I am leaning toward 8, and it might even climb another .5 by this time tomorrow. Just a solid piece of storytelling with interesting characters well acted with a good script and direction. I was just entering high school in this time period, so I didn't have much in common with college age kids at that time (summer 1987), but I'm not that much separated from them--I remember a bit what it was like at that time, and this movie brings back some nostalgia for me (which only helps). One scene has "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House playing during a 4th of July fireworks show, and that was the first song to which I ever danced with a girl (junior high dance). The "Madonna" look of one of the characters, the cheesy amusement park, even the un-PC reaction to an instance of drunk driving was entirely consistent with the time period--clearly Mottolla remembers that time very well. As said already, some terrific performances all around. I can't think of one significant character that wasn't well acted, and as said, both leads displayed a lot of depth. I wasn't surprised at Reynolds' job--he was very good in last year's "Definitely, Maybe". A month ago, someone responded to me saying that if a movie is still on my mind a day later, it must have been pretty good (something he brought up in response to me saying that about the Watchmen). I don't think that was really true then, because my pondering on the Watchmen was more about meaning and if the message was delivered well. Here, I agree with him--thinking about it a day later gives this one higher marks for me. I definitely recommend it for anyone 35-45 years old.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #3061
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Let the Right One In (9/10)

This movie was great, I gave it a 9.5. I thought it had the best ending of any movie I've seen in a couple of years... though apparently there is a controversy around on the internet about the poor quality of the subtitles on the DVD... go to wikipedia to investigate further.

I also give Adventureland an 8.5, as it was so much more well done than the typical period teen movie. It would've been very easy to send the movie way over the top, but it was restrained and realistic (even Hader and Wiig were much more understated than I expected, even when Hader's character was threatening that guy with the bat), though the end felt a bit rushed.

Last edited by Butter : 04-06-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #3062
DataKing
Pro Rookie

You people are murdering my Netflix queue...you realize that, right?

Traitor (5 / 10): A very 'meh' performance by Don Cheadle (has he ever done anything that wasn't 'meh'). The story itself was decent, but I'd rather have been left in the dark a little longer about which side Cheadle's character was actually on. He was completely overshadowed by Guy Pearce, and I was quite impressed with the performance by Said Taghmaoui (he plays Cesar, one of the recent set of castaways on Lost).

Wasabi (2 / 10): Someone needs to tell Jean Reno that he is not funny. Not at all. Not even a little bit.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #3063
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
You people are murdering my Netflix queue...you realize that, right?

Yeah, this thread made my netflix queue a lost cause a long time ago. I completely forget anything about the movies by the time I get them. In fact, I still haven't received one movie that I added after discussions in this thread last August.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #3064
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Traitor (5 / 10): A very 'meh' performance by Don Cheadle (has he ever done anything that wasn't 'meh').

I thought he was great in Hotel Rwanda
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #3065
finketr
College Prospect

Sunshine Cleaning (6/10)

I enjoyed it but somewhat predictable... Wife cried a little so I suppose that's good.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #3066
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Seven Pounds 5/10

I only give this a 5 because i am a big Will Smith fan. The movie was much longer than it should have been and was just very meh.

Slumdog Millionaire 8/10

I sat and watched this with my 9 year old son and had to pause it frequently to explain things like why the boys were not living in a house. I had to cover his eyes a couple of times but was also surprised he sat there and watched it the whole time. The movie was very well done and i loved that the way they tied in how learned the answers to each question he was asked. Very good acting and the scenery was amazing. I think many Americans would be shocked to see how other parts of the world live.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #3067
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Fast and Furious - 7/10

Nostalgia, yay!

Dom is a BEAST! Gettting shot in the trapz without flinching was AWESOME. Or sad. Depending on your point of view.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:30 AM   #3068
Taur
High School Varsity

Fast and Furious 10/10

This was the best I could have hoped for in a sequel. Other than the missing cliche big fight seen at the end this movie was a pefect Fast and Furious sequel.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #3069
rowech
Pro Starter

Slumdog Millionaire (10/10) -- It really is that good.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #3070
Pyser
Pro Rookie

zohan - 1/10. it really is that bad.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #3071
Schmidty
Coordinator

Marley and Me - 7.5/10

Quantum of Solace - 6.5/10 (decent, but still very disappointing)

Bedtime Stories - 6.5/10 (would lower, but my kid liked it)

Max Payne - 6.5/10
Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #3072
rowech
Pro Starter

Doubt (10/10) -- Loved it. Meryl Streep was great. I liked Hoffman. Adams was okay. I have a feeling the play is even better.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #3073
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Doubt (10/10) -- Loved it. Meryl Streep was great. I liked Hoffman. Adams was okay. I have a feeling the play is even better.

So then, by your scoring system, the play would theoretically be, like, an 11/10?

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #3074
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
So then, by your scoring system, the play would theoretically be, like, an 11/10?

lol
Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #3075
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That one goes to 11.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #3076
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

RIP
Old 04-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #3077
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I watched Raging Bull for the first time tonight, I see why it is so highly regarded.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #3078
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm constantly amused by "Crim" posts.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #3079
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

I guess it would be and you beat me to the Spinal Tap reference.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #3080
Crim
College Benchwarmer

For those who haven't seen it:

RIP
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #3081
Lorena
Unregistered

The Iron Giant - 7/10

Heartwarming story about a kid's relationship to a robot that falls from space. At first I thought it was an old movie but Jennifer Aniston plays the kid's mom so it couldn't of been old; then Ant mentioned it was made in 1999.. pretty good animation.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #3082
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brad Bird is great. Not a bad resume to have The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and The Iron Giant on it.

We had The Iron Giant on the DVR for like a year, and my 4(now 5) year old would watch it a few times a week. Then I went on vacation, and a CSI Miami HD marathon ate the DVR and deleted a lot of stuff. She was pissed.

Anyways, I'd give it about an 8.5/10, I think it's really well done, and a good story.

Looks like it's airing April 21, 10am, Cartoon network. I'll be setting the DVR, and I'd suggest doing the same.

Last edited by stevew : 04-12-2009 at 12:59 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #3083
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - pretty damn good

A group of six people make multiple attempts to dine together but something always happens to stop them, sometimes real, sometimes imagined. I liked the characters, especially the ambassador from the Republic of Miranda and the housewife played by Stéphane Audran who is a stunner. It's absurd and satirical, making fun of the French elite, the Catholic church, and the military. Not knowing that the director (Luis Bunuel) was famous or that this had won an Oscar (which I found out later) when browsing through the Netflix site, I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-12-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 AM   #3084
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Brad Bird is great. Not a bad resume to have The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and The Iron Giant on it.

We had The Iron Giant on the DVR for like a year, and my 4(now 5) year old would watch it a few times a week. Then I went on vacation, and a CSI Miami HD marathon ate the DVR and deleted a lot of stuff. She was pissed.

Anyways, I'd give it about an 8.5/10, I think it's really well done, and a good story.

Looks like it's airing April 21, 10am, Cartoon network. I'll be setting the DVR, and I'd suggest doing the same.

Hey, who all wants to start a collection for stevew's daughter's new DVD of The Iron Giant. I figure we can pick this up for Mr. Cheap Dad here for $7.99 at a local discount DVD store. Hey, here's three bucks. We're almost halfway there!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #3085
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hey, who all wants to start a collection for stevew's daughter's new DVD of The Iron Giant. I figure we can pick this up for Mr. Cheap Dad here for $7.99 at a local discount DVD store. Hey, here's three bucks. We're almost halfway there!

lol

RIP
Old 04-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #3086
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I do a lot better with virtual copies than physical ones. Can't scratch them for starters. We've bought maybe 5dvds in the last 3-4 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #3087
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Very solid movie IMO. 8.5/10 is about right.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #3088
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

IRL LOL from Chief Rum's post
Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #3089
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Let the Right One In (9/10)

This was great. A Swedish vampire film that is intelligent, subtle, and thought-provoking. The performances were great and the cinematography beautiful. I really enjoyed it and as time has passed and I have thought about it more, I like it better and better. That's rare. Usually, the more I dwell on a movie the more I pick it apart and remember its flaws, but this just lends itself to examination on a deeper level than almost any movie I've seen in the past couple of years.

Great stuff.

I agree with you on this one.

Let the Right One In (9/10) - Just a great thought provoking movie. I loved the book and the movie did it justice. I'm not sure how it could have been done any better. There is apparently a U.S. version coming in 2010 (made by the guy who did Cloverfield) and I can guarantee they'll fuck it up.

Bad News Bears Remake (2/10) - Billy Bob Thornton is no Walter Mattheu and the movie just didn't do anything different. Sure they changed a few of the jokes around to make the more modern, but it wasn't enough. The original was great and is miles ahead of the remake. Just don't see why they bothered.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-13-2009 at 02:51 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #3090
rowech
Pro Starter

Yes Man (4/10) -- Funny jokes here and there but overall the movie just falls flat. I must admit, I'm not a huge Jim Carey fan, really liking him in Liar, Liar and The Truman Show. Perhaps Jim Cary is just getting too old to act like this???
Old 04-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #3091
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Atonement (7 / 10): Not quite the story I was expecting, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The acting was decent, and I have to say that the ending was a bit of a surprise. If you're a fan of movies without the typical "hollywood ending," you may want to check it out.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #3092
rowech
Pro Starter

The Reader (1/10) -- Simply a horrendous movie. I'm sure there are a few folks who will love it but overall it is just pointless. Watch the first half hour if you want to see Kate Winslet constantly naked and then turn it off.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #3093
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Adventureland - 7/10

Wasn't the comedy that the trailers suggest. Very enjoyable, just wasn't the movie I thought I was going to watch.

RIP
Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #3094
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Seven Pounds - 8/10
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #3095
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

The Life of Emile Zola--7/10
Was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Paul Mini was ok as the lead. and the fellow playng Alfred Dreyfuss was prtetty good as well.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #3096
Lorena
Unregistered

Rebel Without a Cause - 5.5/10

I thought James Dean was gonna knock my socks off with his coolness, but I didn't see it. Maybe in another movie? I dunno, just didn't do much for me.

Last edited by Lorena : 04-19-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #3097
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

W. - 7/10: Hey, I actually liked it (though I had a feeling I would). It was a very well done juxtaposition of the Bush Administration's decision to go to war in Iraq and how 43 got there. And then the aftermath of the occupation. Some great acting performances and nice showdowns between Dreyfuss (who played Cheney) and Wright (who played Powell). Brolin was brilliant as George W. Bush. Just brilliant.

Also a nice story of how the always disappointing W. used his parents' (Barbara's as well as George's) lack of respect in him as motivation. It also tends to provide a more sympathetic portrayal of the President than you would expected from an Oliver Stone film, especially in scenes like when he finds out there are no WMDs and his increasing frustration with his staff.

Parts could have been trimmed. Powell and Cheney's amiable conversation with 41 after the Iraq War could have been removed (it was too much into the world of the administration staff and his father than W. himself, IMO). But overall, a good movie which ran a slight bit too long.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #3098
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Rebel Without a Cause - 5.5/10

I thought James Dean was gonna knock my socks off with his coolness, but I didn't see it. Maybe in another movie? I dunno, just didn't do much for me.

Matter of perspective, I suspect. That movie came out in a much more conservative time, when authority wasn't supposed to be questioned, before the 60s "revolution", before civil rights, before rock 'n roll was establishing a new alternative mindset for teenagers. And we have seen the James Dean type of "rebel" role now re-enacted a ton of times since then, so that it is beyond cliché. At the time this movie came out, this was really setting up a new type of protagonist that hadn't been seen yet.

I had abit of the same "that was it" impression when I saw it.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #3099
Schmidty
Coordinator

Slumdog Millionaire - 10/10 (It really was that good)

Vinyan - 1/10 (It really was that bad)

The Spirit - 4/10 (Meh. Disappointed)

Mirrors - 6.5/10 (Run-of-the-mill horror)

Australia - ?/? (So far, so bad)
Old 04-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #3100
Butter
Coordinator

Synecdoche, New York - Tree

I think I am not exaggerating when I say THIS IS THE WEIRDEST FUCKING MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. The playing with time starts in the first 5 minutes of the movie, and it just sort of warps down a black hole in upon itself from there. I blame it on the fact that not only did Charlie Kaufman write this, but he directed it as well. You definitely need to see this movie more than once to really "get it". Unfortunately, I only had 3 hours, so I watched it once, then watched some of the DVD extras for some further explanation. That helped a lot, actually.

The movie is completely despairing, yet ultimately triumphant. The movie is completely absurdist at times, yet the metaphors are all too identifiable and at some points, painful. There is sex in the movie, but it is never joyful or fun. There is love in the movie, but it is never happy or the relationships easily worked out. There are characters playing other versions of characters who are themselves other versions of characters. There are stages built inside of warehouses inside of other warehouses. There are moments of the movie that encompass years of a character's life, there are other moments that are truly just "moments".

Above all, though, the plot actually makes sense. Despite all of the craziness occurring at the margins, the movie makes complete and total sense at its core. It's just figuring out what all the rest of it means that will occupy most of your time as a movie watcher. You could probably watch this thing 5 times and get something different every time. It is rare that a movie demands so much attention from the viewer, but it is rewarded. Perhaps the most brilliant stroke in the movie is the casting of Emily Watson as a person who is playing a real-life person, who is played by Samantha Morton. In real life, Emily Watson and Samantha Morton look a lot alike. Slap them both in some older age makeup, and it is hard to tell who is who. THEN, slap another guy in there who is playing Philip Seymour Hoffman's character. Hoffman and Morton's character have a long-standing unrequited love. Then the guy playing Hoffman's character seduces Morton's character. THEN, Hoffman's character is seduced by Watson's. It goes on like this, the whole movie, playing with your sense of time and perspective, for 2 hours.

The score? I think this is probably one of the most brilliant movies I have ever seen. But was it one of the most enjoyable? Probably not. I'll probably watch it again some time when it comes on cable or something, just to see what I missed.

Will you like it? It depends. If any of that I described sounds good to you, you're in for a treat. If it sounds like pretentious tedium, skip it. It is both of those, yet neither all within 5 minutes. And that's the brilliance of it.