Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #3101
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I think it's just one cross over. Alvarez was saying everyone would protect one rivalry for the cross over since you'll play everyone in your own division as it is.

Ugh, that's even worse. So there will be 5 teams for which you'll play 3 of them each year? Not to mentioned the scheduling is much easier with the 5-2-2. Man -- I wish they would just go round-robin, and you get one OOC game.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #3102
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I think it's just one cross over. Alvarez was saying everyone would protect one rivalry for the cross over since you'll play everyone in your own division as it is.

If it is just 1 I don't see how Wisconsin's protected rival isn't Minnesota.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #3103
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Alright...some of the guys at the presser for BYU...

WCC commish
ESPN VP Dave Brown
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #3104
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Just got an email from the Big Ten Network that the announcement will be aired at 7 PM Eastern tonight.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #3105
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
If it is just 1 I don't see how Wisconsin's protected rival isn't Minnesota.

You're probably right. Not sure what they do with Iowa though.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #3106
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
You're probably right. Not sure what they do with Iowa though.

My guess:

Michigan-Ohio State
Wisconsin-Minnesota
Illinois-Northwestern
Michigan State-Penn State (don't like it personally, but a lot of people seem to, and really no better option for either school)
Then you've got Iowa and Nebraska on one side, and Indiana and Purdue on the other -- this is honestly a coin flip as far as I know.

Nebraska-Penn State instead of Michigan State-Penn State, too -- and the last 4 are still just whatever.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #3107
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Here we go...

some of the brief points..

8 year contract with ESPN...

6 yr deal with Notre Dame through 2020

BYU is taking care of the WAC schools by signing an agreement with those who stuck through for the next 2 season while they flesh out their future schedules.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #3108
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
My guess:

Michigan-Ohio State
Wisconsin-Minnesota
Illinois-Northwestern
Michigan State-Penn State (don't like it personally, but a lot of people seem to, and really no better option for either school)
Then you've got Iowa and Nebraska on one side, and Indiana and Purdue on the other -- this is honestly a coin flip as far as I know.

Nebraska-Penn State instead of Michigan State-Penn State, too -- and the last 4 are still just whatever.

Yeah I believe Nebraska/Penn State have both pushed to play each other annually so I am gonna' bet they end up together.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #3109
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Here we go...

some of the brief points..

8 year contract with ESPN...

6 yr deal with Notre Dame through 2020

BYU is taking care of the WAC schools by signing an agreement with those who stuck through for the next 2 season while they flesh out their future schedules.

Wow. Well that's a good start, at least.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #3110
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So far next years schedule for BYU

OSU
Texas
Utah
USU
Hawaii
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
NMSU
SJSU

So we need 3 more games...

Also, in discussions with ESPN and other bowls for affiliations.

And the biggest OMG I am double checking on what I heard...

14th or better and we get BCS consideration of an at large.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 09-01-2010 at 01:29 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #3111
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wonder how long until schools like Air Force and Hawaii become football independents?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #3112
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
So far next years schedule for BYU

OSU
Texas
Utah
USU
Hawaii
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
NMSU
SJSU

So we need 3 more games...

Also, in discussions with ESPN and other bowls for affiliations.

Decent start, would like the other 3 games to be BCS teams though. One solid one (Clemson would be awesome) and 2 mid-level.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #3113
tarcone
Coordinator

7 pm EST tonight the announcement is coming. ESPN say it is as detox said
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #3114
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Decent start, would like the other 3 games to be BCS teams though. One solid one (Clemson would be awesome) and 2 mid-level.

3 BCS teams in the schedule...if we could get 3 more, with the talent we have and do well...I think it solidifies us even more.

Also, all the home games will be on ESPN..

Where we show up depends on how well we do..

ESPN / ABC / ESPN2 / ESPNU and ESPN3

The Rivalry game with Utah will be played every year, ESPN wants it and AD's from both schools are working on maintaining it.

And if anyone wants to know...I am pretty excited...a stiff breeze might set me off!

Last edited by MacroGuru : 09-01-2010 at 01:53 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #3115
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Without knowing much about their traditional rivalries, I think Wisconsin sticks out like a sore thumb here. Not in the same division w/ the Michigan schools, Minnesota, or Northwestern (looks to be their closest geographic "rival") seems like a miss.

Minnesota and Wisconsin is one of the largest Big 10 rivalries.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #3116
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Minnesota and Wisconsin is one of the largest Big 10 rivalries.

Not even just Big Ten, it's the oldest and most played rivalry in Division 1 FBS. They'll play for the 120th time on October 9th.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #3117
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Unless the games have national imact, nearly every rivalry is an inherently local/regional experience. I could give two shits about Wisconsin/Minnesota. And I'm sure most of their fans could give two shits about FSU/UF - except when they're both in the top 10 and might have an impact on the BCS.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #3118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Unless the games have national imact, nearly every rivalry is an inherently local/regional experience. I could give two shits about Wisconsin/Minnesota. And I'm sure most of their fans could give two shits about FSU/UF - except when they're both in the top 10 and might have an impact on the BCS.

Not sure what your point is. The Big Ten is doing this stuff for their universities and the fanbases of those univerisities, not for you or other non-Big Ten fans.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #3119
Ksyrup

I thought the whole point of this endeavor was to be marketable on a grander scale to make more money. Those of us with the Big 10 Network out of the Big 10 region will watch name brand Big 10 teams, regardless of the rivalry implications. So I don't think they really care too much about stepping on the feet of a couple rivalries that mean nothing outside of those boundaries, if the games they replace them with will draw more viewers to their network (regardless of where they are located).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-01-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #3120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
except when they're both in the top 10 and might have an impact on the BCS.

Actually, as long as one of them is in the top 10, the game could have an impact on the BCS.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #3121
Ksyrup

True, but as FSU has declined in the past decade, that game went from must-see national TV to regional early afternoon TV. Once in the past 2-3 years, I couldn't even get it here in KY. That was unheard of 10 years ago.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #3122
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I wonder how long until schools like Air Force and Hawaii become football independents?

I am not sure Air Force does anything they really need not. The football program is obviously not a major priority at the academy to be honest compared to the academics and mission of the cadets.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #3123
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sounds like Iowa-Purdue is officially a cross divisional game according to come posts.

MSU-IU is confirmed too by MSU's Rivals guys (I think its their Rivals sites)
Old 09-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #3124
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa-Purdue? Man, I would have preferred PsU.

Iowa Purdue makes no sense to me at all. I dont consider them a rival. But then again, most of Iowas rivals are in their division already. And Wisc/Minn has to remain. I guess Purdue was it.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #3125
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hawaii is gonna be even more fucked when they go independant, at least now or before the WAC schools had to come out here every other year, as an independent we will probably have 4 home games and 8/9 away games a year. thats if we are lucky, heh. FUCK

Edit: At least when we had June Jones we were pretty competitive and probably would of remained so. Now with McMackin we are a .500 team every year and if we go indy we will be a 4 win team, meh. exciting to be a fan right now heh. Bring June Back.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 09-01-2010 at 05:14 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #3126
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh? I thought that teams LOVED to go to Hawaii as a reward for their players?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #3127
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

rarely. They like to talk that talk, but not so much walk that walk.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #3128
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

basically the way I see it is We are gonna be forced to go one the road more often then not, thus costing our program more money then pretty much every other program pays for travel, but yet they wont be making enough money to cover the travel costs. 10 years from now Hawaii won't have a football team unless something changes big time :/

Last edited by k0ruptr : 09-01-2010 at 05:26 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #3129
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
basically the way I see it is We are gonna be forced to go one the road more often then not, thus costing our program more money then pretty much every other program pays for travel, but yet they wont be making enough money to cover the travel costs. 10 years from now Hawaii won't have a football team unless something changes big time :/

Honestly, BYU enjoys going out to play due to the church leanings out in Hawaii...however, your fans have probably been the ones most antagonistic to the players out of all our games...so it makes it not as fun.

But with the new agreement...I see us doing the home and home for years to come.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #3130
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Honestly, BYU enjoys going out to play due to the church leanings out in Hawaii...however, your fans have probably been the ones most antagonistic to the players out of all our games...so it makes it not as fun.

But with the new agreement...I see us doing the home and home for years to come.

fans have gotten quite a bit better over the last few years, idiots are far and few now.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #3131
mckerney
Coordinator

So X Division and O Division are just placeholders, right?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #3132
mckerney
Coordinator

Only 8 conference games. Hopefully they go to 9 before long.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #3133
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought the whole point of this endeavor was to be marketable on a grander scale to make more money. Those of us with the Big 10 Network out of the Big 10 region will watch name brand Big 10 teams, regardless of the rivalry implications. So I don't think they really care too much about stepping on the feet of a couple rivalries that mean nothing outside of those boundaries, if the games they replace them with will draw more viewers to their network (regardless of where they are located).

I would think they would still need to appeal to their primary interest base, though, first. Any outside endeavors would not come at the cost of a major rivalry. They would try to build on top of that. And in any case, my impression of the purpose of their expansion is to A) get to 12 teams to get the championship game, and B) expand their cable footprint to increase Big Ten network monies, which they can do simply by reachign new areas via new universities.

I am sure they would like to build the Big Ten up amongst non-Big Ten fans, but have no doubt, you're not their primary concern. They're not going to sacrifice their primary fans for you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-01-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #3134
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
So X Division and O Division are just placeholders, right?

yes
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #3135
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I would think they would still need to appeal to their primary interest base, though, first. Any outside endeavors would not come at the cost of a major rivalry. They would try to build on top of that. And in any case, my impression of the purpose of their expansion is to A) get to 12 teams to get the championship game, and B) expand their cable footprint to increase Big Ten network monies, which they can do simply by reachign new areas via new universities.

I am sure they would like to build the Big Ten up amongst non-Big Ten fans, but have no doubt, you're not their primary concern. They're not going to sacrifice their primary fans for you.
I dont know about that, do you think the Big 10 is really worried about michigan viewers suddenly switching to watching Pac 10 games? Not a chance
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #3136
MrBug708
Head Coach

Maybe I'm wrong, but Im not sure that was what CR was trying to say
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #3137
tarcone
Coordinator

I love that the Iowa/Nebraska game is the last game of every season. I smell an awesome rivalry brewing.
Not a fan of Iowas crossover partner, but it should be a win every season.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #3138
tarcone
Coordinator

I would be okay with the divisions being called the Hayes and Schembechler divisions if they name the Big10 Championship trophy the Gable Trophy.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #3139
DeToxRox
Head Coach

in 2011 Michigan finishes with Nebraska and Ohio State at home. Add in our first night game ever vs Notre Dame and those tickets are gonna be go through the roof.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #3140
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Isn't it about time for a thread title change?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #3141
MrBug708
Head Coach

Athletic director Pat Haden told the Register on Wednesday that he would consider the idea of USC becoming an independent in football as BYU just did but that there are no imminent plans to do so.
BYU announced it was breaking off from the Mountain West Conference in football and signed an eight-year agreement with ESPN. USC football is considered an even bigger brand and ratings draw.
“I think you always have to look at every opportunity,” Haden, who’s starting his second month on the job, said from the football team’s hotel in Hawaii.
“We’re a happy member of the Pac-10. I don’t have any ulterior motives or plans to advance the ball on this. I think the Pac-10 with a new commissioner and new opportunities has some growth built in already.
“But would we every consider it? I think you have to. As an athletic director in today’s environment, you have to consider every alternative.”
Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #3142
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Nebraska, welcome to the Big 10 next season:

Ohio State, Iowa, @Wisconsin, @Michigan, @Penn State.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #3143
RedKingGold
College Starter

As a Penn State fan, I'm pleased with the new alignment. I've always felt that Michigan State was crammed down our throats as our "rival", so I won't be terribly upset to see the Battle for the Land Grant trophy go away.

Regular matchups against Nebraska, Ohio State, and Wisconsin are a much better fit and I hope Wisconsin becomes our annual last game of the season.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #3144
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Athletic director Pat Haden told the Register on Wednesday that he would consider the idea of USC becoming an independent in football as BYU just did but that there are no imminent plans to do so.
BYU announced it was breaking off from the Mountain West Conference in football and signed an eight-year agreement with ESPN. USC football is considered an even bigger brand and ratings draw.
“I think you always have to look at every opportunity,” Haden, who’s starting his second month on the job, said from the football team’s hotel in Hawaii.
“We’re a happy member of the Pac-10. I don’t have any ulterior motives or plans to advance the ball on this. I think the Pac-10 with a new commissioner and new opportunities has some growth built in already.
“But would we every consider it? I think you have to. As an athletic director in today’s environment, you have to consider every alternative.”

Are we going to be getting a bunch of these "Texas Power Play"-type comments from all the big schools now? This is like negotiating with terrorists - once you give them what they want the first time, all the rest of them see your weakness and exploit it.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #3145
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Are we going to be getting a bunch of these "Texas Power Play"-type comments from all the big schools now? This is like negotiating with terrorists - once you give them what they want the first time, all the rest of them see your weakness and exploit it.

What I find funny is BYU did this because the MWC had zero plans to modify or work with comcast / CBS to change the TV contract. If the MWC and CBS / Comcast would have been willing to work something out instead of be content to ride the coat tails of BYU / Utah then BYU would still probably be in the conference.

Of course USC is happy where they are at...they get guaranteed games, soon a conference championship game to play for and BCS tie ins...

BYU flat out said this isn't for BCS chances...and the fact they haven't negotiated anything and have the same guarantee that Army and Navy has proves that for me.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #3146
Ksyrup

Quote:
Of course USC is happy where they are at...they get guaranteed games, soon a conference championship game to play for and BCS tie ins...

Sure, but...I don't know what the PAC-10's TV money disbursement agreement is, but if it's equal, could this be the opening comments of a re-negotiation for USC to get "what they deserve" and not just their fair share? I assume they consider themselves to be the primary, national draw for the PAC-10, along the lines of Texas and the Big 12.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #3147
MrBug708
Head Coach

That's exactly what USC wants to do. They are going to say that they deserve a bigger share than WSU
Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #3148
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The Pac-10 equally distributes bowl revenue, but not TV revenue. And it's likely that with Colorado and Utah joining and with Washington now advocating for equal revenue sharing of TV money that it will happen soon, which will piss off USC (and to a lesser extent UCLA).
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #3149
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I think the bargain has come down to trading alignment for revenue. The NW schools are going to sign off on North/South divisions in exchange for equal revenue sharing. For recruiting maintaining parity in facilities is probably more important than having that guaranteed game in LA every year. And with almost every game being available on TV now, it’s probably even less important than it was 5 years ago.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #3150
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
The NW schools are going to sign off on North/South divisions in exchange for equal revenue sharing.
Unless something has changed in the conference voting rules, I don't think the NW schools need to use revenue sharing as a bargaining chip. It requires 75% to pass something, and in the past it had been Washington standing with UCLA and USC against fully equitable TV revenue sharing. Now, with Utah and Colorado entering the mix soon, it would take 4 schools saying "no" to prevent it from happening, and with Washington now favoring full TV revenue sharing, I'm struggling to think of two other schools besides USC and UCLA that would oppose the idea.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote