Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Pissing match deleted.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #3102
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I endorse grabbing a beer with PilotMan.
Me. too!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:38 AM   #3103
Edward64
Head Coach

Been a pretty good week so far for Biden on the evacuation, covid and domestic front.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/24/polit...ion/index.html
Quote:
The House of Representatives on Tuesday approved a budget framework that will pave the way for Democrats to spend up to $3.5 trillion on a sweeping economic package to expand the social safety net that President Joe Biden has made a signature agenda item.

The House vote came after painstaking negotiations between Democratic leaders and a group of moderates yielded a compromise that paved the way for passage. But deadlock over the issue led to a standoff that derailed efforts to move forward Monday evening. The issue underscored the challenge leadership faces in attempting to unite the party's moderate and progressive wings.

Ultimately, the House voted on a rule to advance both the budget deal and a separate $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill. Due to a procedural maneuver, passage of the rule also approved the budget resolution, bypassing a separate vote. In a concession to moderates, the rule also directs the House to take up the bipartisan bill by September 27.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:37 PM   #3104
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Random political thoughy: Why does no party favor getting rid of the car dealership mandate? Why can't I buy straight from car makers? Why do I have to pay for an expensive middle man?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-25-2021 at 08:37 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #3105
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm not sure what Biden can do but leaving up to 1,500 Americans, that want to leave, in Afghanistan after Aug 31 is untenable.

I can understand some wanting to stay for whatever reason, some being left behind because we don't know about them, but leaving a large number (presumably wanting to leave) is not tenable. But then going on a city wide roundup doesn't seem wise either.

Hopefully the negotiations with the Taliban are really doing well. And they can force whatever ISIS elements to behave.

Quote:
Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday that there are approximately 1,500 people who may be Americans left in Afghanistan as the United States' presence on the ground nears its end.

The State Department has made contact with 500 people and is "aggressively" attempting to reach the other thousand as it continues evacuations from the now-Taliban controlled capital of Kabul.

More than 82,000 people have flown out since evacuation efforts began on August 14, including "at least 4,500 American citizens and likely more," Blinken told reporters at the State Department on Wednesday.

"More than 500 of those Americans were evacuated in just the last day alone," he said, adding that when evacuation operations began, "there was a population of as many as 6,000 American citizens in the country who wanted to leave."
Old 08-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #3106
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are the 500 who have been contacted actually Americans or did we think they were Americans and realized they were not? Also how are we making the determination that they are actually American in the next 5 plus days if we don't know if they are by now?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:52 PM   #3107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Random political thoughy: Why does no party favor getting rid of the car dealership mandate? Why can't I buy straight from car makers? Why do I have to pay for an expensive middle man?

For one thing, it's not a federal prohibition, it's regulated state-by-state (in 48 of the 50 anyhow)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:12 AM   #3108
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Like Jon said, it is a state prohibition.

And this is one of those areas where you have a policy that most people have lukewarm feelings about--sure we'd all like to pay less for cars, but I can't imagine anyone voting for or against someone based on that. But a small group of people (i.e. car dealers) have VERY strong feelings about and will donate to politicians accordingly.

(It's like how pennies cost more to make than they are worth and we'd all be slightly better off if we got rid of pennies. But no one really cares. So the people who own copper mines make sure we never get rid of pennies.)

The justification I heard supporting dealerships is that they employ a fair number of people at a pretty decent wage, so if you get rid of them, you are hurting the local economies where those people work and just shifting more profits to the shareholders of the manufacturers. Which, IMO, is actually a pretty decent argument. Not sure if I still agree with dealerships, but I do think that most of the savings from getting rid of them will go to the manufacturers and not the buying public.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #3109
Edward64
Head Coach

More headache for Biden. Not good. Wonder how many civilians.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/26/asia/...ntl/index.html
Quote:
US service members and Afghans have been killed in two suicide bombing attacks outside Kabul's airport, a Pentagon spokesman said Thursday.

The deadly blasts came as the United States and other Western countries raced to complete a massive evacuation of their citizens and Afghan allies following the Taliban takeover of the country.

"We can confirm that a number of US service members were killed in today's complex attack at Kabul airport. A number of others are being treated for wounds. We also know that a number of Afghans fell victim to this heinous attack," Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said Thursday. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones and teammates of all those killed and injured."
Old 08-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #3110
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #3111
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
More headache for Biden. Not good.

The opposition didn't take long to respond.

"If President Trump can be impeached over a phone call, then the time has come to IMPEACH Biden for gross negligence in Afghanistan," said Rep. Ronny Jackson, R-Texas.

Nikki Haley, former ambassador to the United Nations, called for Biden's resignation but worried about leaving Vice President Kamala Harris in charge.

"Should Biden step down or be removed for his handling of Afghanistan? Yes," she tweeted. "But that would leave us with Kamala Harris which would be ten times worse. God help us."
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #3112
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
... Which, IMO, is actually a pretty decent argument. Not sure if I still agree with dealerships, but I do think that most of the savings from getting rid of them will go to the manufacturers and not the buying public.
Yup. It would definitely be a "cheaper" process, but I doubt hardly any of the savings would go to the consumer.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #3113
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
The opposition didn't take long to respond.

"If President Trump can be impeached over a phone call, then the time has come to IMPEACH Biden for gross negligence in Afghanistan," said Rep. Ronny Jackson, R-Texas.

Nikki Haley, former ambassador to the United Nations, called for Biden's resignation but worried about leaving Vice President Kamala Harris in charge.

"Should Biden step down or be removed for his handling of Afghanistan? Yes," she tweeted. "But that would leave us with Kamala Harris which would be ten times worse. God help us."
It is funny/sad that Republican decisions have cost many hundreds if not thousands more lives than this.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #3114
cuervo72
Head Coach

Thoughts and prayers? I mean, that would work if this was a school, right?
Old 08-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #3115
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It is funny/sad that Republican decisions have cost many hundreds if not thousands more lives than this.

Am I rememering wrong that it was Trump who negotiated & negotiated the timescale for withdrawal? I thought all Biden did was continue what Trump agreed?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #3116
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's almost as if we don't have 20 years of previous history in Afghanistan to gauge just how earnest all these concerns are.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:05 PM   #3117
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Am I rememering wrong that it was Trump who negotiated & negotiated the timescale for withdrawal? I thought all Biden did was continue what Trump agreed?

Trump negotiated a May withdrawal. Biden actually pushed it back to the end of August. Everything was done to make it as difficult as possible for an incoming administration. People can point fingers all around and find some blame, but there's no doubt that the Trump administration played with people's lives in order to put the next administration in a bad spot.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #3118
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Like they're going to let that stop them. Remember how much mileage they got out of Benghazi?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:38 PM   #3119
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

"We will hunt you down and make you pay." ????

I'm not sure how Biden plans to do that, given that the Taliban is going to let these terrorist organizations flourish again. They'll say they're powerless to do anything to stop it (although they have no problem brutalizing, terrorizing and performing summary executions of their own citizens with impunity).
Old 08-26-2021, 04:40 PM   #3120
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The speed with which the MAGA GOP shifted from, why won't Biden end the forever war, to, why won't Biden continue the forever war, is breathtaking?

It's hard to see a good outcome for the country when so many are willing to be so dishonest and then suffer no consequences for doing so.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #3121
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm not sure how Biden plans to do that, given that the Taliban is going to let these terrorist organizations flourish again. They'll say they're powerless to do anything to stop it (although they have no problem brutalizing, terrorizing and performing summary executions of their own citizens with impunity).

I believe we still have jets and missiles.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #3122
GrantDawg

We have been pretty good at blowing people up anywhere without having troops on the ground. It is just like Biden just said, there are countries all over the world that have terror cells much more immediately dangerous, and we haven't invaded those countries.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2021, 05:21 PM   #3123
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

What's your solution? Another trillion to sit around getting our ass-kicked for awhile? Everyone complaining about this has no solution and is certainly not going to enlist.

And if your concern is terrorism, you should be mad we aren't going after the people and countries that fund and support it. Saudi Arabia plays a MUCH bigger role in international terrorism than the Taliban.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #3124
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The speed with which the MAGA GOP shifted from, why won't Biden end the forever war, to, why won't Biden continue the forever war, is breathtaking?

It's hard to see a good outcome for the country when so many are willing to be so dishonest and then suffer no consequences for doing so.

Trump got them to drop 15 years of "War on Terror is good" rhetoric with a few comments during a debate (also destroyed Jeb Bush's career).

They stand for nothing.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:25 PM   #3125
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

Oh man, I mean, These guys are going to get away like Bin Laden, no wait, like Gaddifi, no no, they got him too. Like Saddam Hussein...nope, oh his kids...nope, got them too. Uh.

Well, al-Zarqawi got away...nope, he got blow'd up too. Man, I'm finding it hard to recall all the ones that did get away. Even the head of ISIS got blow'd up, al-Baghdadi was terminated.

So, if there's one thing I know, if there is a mastermind, he'll be targeted...and he'll be wiped off the Earth in a drone strike.

But I guess some people forget this, and just want to bitch about Biden dealing once again with Trump's slash and burn style.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #3126
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Heading to Germany as we speak to bring a flight back to DC as part of all this.

I can't talk on social media about the trip, but it was eye opening. I've never had a flight that even came close to what that was. There were numerous challenges that tried our patience, but I'm happy to have had the experience. A little piece of history I get to claim and something I can point to and say "I was a part of that."

It was a pretty humbling experience overall. Lots of kids, a set of twins that were maybe 8 weeks old. Lots of families who supported the operation. Maybe 10-15% spoke English. More than one medical issue during that had to be handled, and strict 'you will not divert, unless it's the last resort' orders. Once they were allowed to deplane (all I'll say is that these people were so patient, that they were willing to endure all that was just wow) they were covid tested, then processed. I think after all that the military is housing them on a base. As with most things, it's a lot of waiting, but we did everything we could to make it not suck. We brought 336 back on that flight.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #3127
GrantDawg

Nice job, Pilotman.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #3128
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What a great story Pilotman. Definitely a part of history with that flight.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2021, 06:42 PM   #3129
Swaggs
Coordinator

On pure politics, I think the Dems are missing a big opportunity to hang this around the necks of all the spineless GOPers that pacified Trump’s ego over losing and made the transition so drawn out and difficult. It seems like a pretty easy sell to say that a peaceful/cooperative change in administrations, with appropriately shared intel could have helped prevent stuff like this and the loss of all the military equipment and weapons. Our government is just pathetic right now.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #3130
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I can't talk on social media about the trip, but it was eye opening. I've never had a flight that even came close to what that was. There were numerous challenges that tried our patience, but I'm happy to have had the experience. A little piece of history I get to claim and something I can point to and say "I was a part of that."

It was a pretty humbling experience overall. Lots of kids, a set of twins that were maybe 8 weeks old. Lots of families who supported the operation. Maybe 10-15% spoke English. More than one medical issue during that had to be handled, and strict 'you will not divert, unless it's the last resort' orders. Once they were allowed to deplane (all I'll say is that these people were so patient, that they were willing to endure all that was just wow) they were covid tested, then processed. I think after all that the military is housing them on a base. As with most things, it's a lot of waiting, but we did everything we could to make it not suck. We brought 336 back on that flight.

You're a fucking hero buddy...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #3131
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
On pure politics, I think the Dems are missing a big opportunity to hang this around the necks of all the spineless GOPers that pacified Trump’s ego over losing and made the transition so drawn out and difficult. It seems like a pretty easy sell to say that a peaceful/cooperative change in administrations, with appropriately shared intel could have helped prevent stuff like this and the loss of all the military equipment and weapons. Our government is just pathetic right now.

GOP supporters just wont care. They need something to be angry about.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:53 PM   #3132
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
GOP supporters just wont care. They need something to be angry about.

Yeah, the world trade center gets destroyed killing thousands of Americans and the republican president "kept us safe"

A bomb goes off halfway around the world killing a couple Americans and the democratic president should be impeached.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #3133
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Glad you are back safely PM, and a big thank you and hug for your part in getting them out of that country.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #3134
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Nice job, Pilotman.

Amazing work! I salute you!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:01 PM   #3135
PilotMan
Head Coach

I also need to say that it's the flight attendants who really should be applauded here. They were fantastic with what they had to deal with. I don't know how many 'average' people could have done what they did. It wasn't the cleanest working environment keep in mind. They were fantastic.

Like Steam?

Old 08-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #3136
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow. A quagmire we should have gotten out of 15 years ago. You are not going to fix a stone age culture.

And well done PM, you were a person that saved the day for hundreds. Impressive.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:30 PM   #3137
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Supreme Court throws out Biden administration eviction moratorium

I'm not sure how this was constitutional in the first place when Trumpy first enacted it.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-26-2021 at 09:31 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 05:16 AM   #3138
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Wow. Great work. In addition to you helping so many people, I'm glad you got something personally from it also.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:08 AM   #3139
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Supreme Court throws out Biden administration eviction moratorium

I'm not sure how this was constitutional in the first place when Trumpy first enacted it.

(1) The moratorium was probably an executive overreach, but it was a close call with good arguments on both sides.

(2) The Supreme Court deciding a close legal issue that will affect millions of people via a shadow docket order without briefing & argument is a huge judicial overreach.

tl;dr They probably reached the right result, but they did it in a norm-eroding way.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-27-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:11 AM   #3140
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola--once it became clear that the Dems were not going to make a filibuster exception for Court reform, that really let the GOP activists on the Court off their leash.

Credit to the GOP. They saw the importance of the federal courts for decades, while the Dems only just now woke up to it (and still aren't doing anything meaningful about it).
Old 08-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #3141
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So people who were screaming for years we needed out of Afghanistan and applauded Trump for the agreement got mad when we.....pulled out of Afghanistan are now mad because we went back into Afghanistan and soldiers were bombed....
Old 08-27-2021, 08:29 AM   #3142
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
So people who were screaming for years we needed out of Afghanistan and applauded Trump for the agreement got mad when we.....pulled out of Afghanistan are now mad because we went back into Afghanistan and soldiers were bombed....

There's a reason that Bush, Obama, and Trump didn't do this. It was always going to be messy and painful.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:30 AM   #3143
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
There's a reason that Bush, Obama, and Trump didn't do this. It was always going to be messy and painful.

absolutely.

It's just amazing how the goalposts shift so fast you can get whiplash.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #3144
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

Regardless of party, their main concern was if terrorism would regain a foothold again in Afghanistan, and if so, how long would it take. We now have an answer, -5 days.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #3145
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Regardless of party, their main concern was if terrorism would regain a foothold again in Afghanistan, and if so, how long would it take. We now have an answer, -5 days.

It never left.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:39 AM   #3146
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
It never left.

It never really leaves any country, but in this case there are known terrorists holding key positions in the new Taliban “government.”
Old 08-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #3147
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
It never really leaves any country, but in this case there are known terrorists holding key positions in the new Taliban “government.”

Ones released by the Trump administration.

Should we have just stayed there permanently?
Old 08-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #3148
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Some would say that same about terrorists in the US government.

Like Steam?

Old 08-27-2021, 10:07 AM   #3149
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 08-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #3150
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Ones released by the Trump administration.

5000 Taliban prisoners in Afghanistan were released in the questionable deal made by Trump in 2020. Several now hold positions in the Taliban.

However, the most dangerous threat to the U.S. will come from the pool of 700+ that were released from Guantanamo Bay from the previous administration, with assurances that they would be kept in Qatar, etc. In the face of that concern, Biden is reconsidering his stated goal of closing Gitmo.