Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #3101
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Awesome! I'm a huge fan of the game, but like tarcone mentioned, you can easily get screwed if you aren't paying attention early - and then it can become an extremely long, tedious play. The variety in the game is really nice, although I do wish they had balanced the alien races a little better - the Orion Hegemony (militaristic alien race) is pretty overpowered in the hands of a skilled player.

Outside of those two knocks (somewhat easy to get into an inescapable hole early, unbalanced factions), the game is simply fantastic.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:40 AM   #3102
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
For those of you that have Pandemic Legacy, it is possible to use it to play the base Pandemic game prior to playing "Legacy mode" and modifying the game set? We have both, and don't plan on playing Legacy for a while, but while we are moving and consolidating things down, I'd like to get rid of the base game if I can since at this point we will only be using it down the road to teach our kids the basic before playing Legacy.
For the most part, yes, you can play base Pandemic before diving into the Legacy stuff. The map is slightly different from base Pandemic, but that shouldn't be a big deal. I don't remember the exact differences, having finished Legacy a few months ago, but I believe there is just an extra connection from South America to Africa. Other than that, though, it would play the same as vanilla Pandemic.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #3103
bob
College Starter

Thanks for letting me know.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #3104
tarcone
Coordinator

Just picked up Colonial: Europes Empires Overseas

Fun game. Real thematic. I doubt I will play it. But I have been wanting the game for years. And it is on clearance at Minature Market. So I went and bought it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #3105
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Colonial has one of the best maps I've ever seen. I'm like you. I bought it a couple years ago. I have yet to play it other than myself to learn the rules. But I love colonial games in theory. Maybe I'll just frame the map for my game room in the basement after we remodel.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #3106
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks for the heads up tarcone, I just picked it up myself. Trains was on clearance as well, so I threw that in as well. It does seem like I might not get many chances to play it, but I'm excited about it.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #3107
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Went to GenCon yesterday. Only bought two things for myself: Freedom: The Underground Railroad, which I've been wanting to get for some time. I also got the expansion for Roll Through the Galaxy. My editor gave me a big bag of games to review: Unfair, Through the Ages, Fief and its expansion, TANKS, and Sentinel Tactics. Also got a copy of Terminator Genysis for free as a bonus.

Other things I took away:

Academy Games is becoming one of my favorite little companies. I love 1775. They have two new games coming out based on the system. One is 1754 on the French & Indian War. Will be a preorder soon but not much info on it. The other is 879 about the Viking invasion of England. Has several new mechanics. Got a chance to see a run through of it and it'll be kickstarted. Just a slick game. Viking leaders play a big role in the game.

Did a demo of Asmodee's Hit Z Road, a zombie apocalypse resource management game. I enjoyed it....definitely a bear to get through the game. One of the guy's in the demo went from leading to completely out of the game in one turn. Not sure it's worth the $39.99 price tag. I will say it had a very Fallout feel to it, right down to the components that are made to look like scraps of other items (bottle caps, playing cards, bandages, etc). Also played 7 Wonders Duel which is a cool card game where cards are revealed in a pyramid format.

I had always stayed away from the Quartermaster series as it looked like fluff. My friend bought a copy and I played twice at the Con yesterday. Yes, it's light. It's more about supply lines than war. But it is a helluva lot of fun. Artwork has that feel of WWII war posters. Played two games, Allies won one and Axis won one.

Got invited to a preview luncheon for Mystic Battles, a miniatures tactical game based on ancient Greek mythology. The minis were amazingly detailed. The game comes with dials where character stats change as it takes on damage. Meeting was rushed, I was in the first one and it wasn't very organized, but it has some potential. Yet another Kickstarter.

Tried to get a copy of the War of the Ring expansion but it was sold out. My friend got the Star Trek Frontiers game, which is similar to the Mage Knight system. Can't wait to try it.

Harley Quinns were everywhere in every shape imaginable. And kudos to the dude with the balls to wear the Incredibles jumpsuit.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #3108
tarcone
Coordinator

Nice. One day I will get back to Gencon. Been awhile since I went.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #3109
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Touching on some of the games ColtCrazy mentioned:

I just bought 1775 when I was at the World Boardgaming Championships last week. I've gotten to play it a couple of times with my wife, and it's a lot of fun. It's more strategic than it looks on the surface, and it's a good combination of strategy and luck. It's a good game.

Star Trek Frontiers is very, very much like Mage Knight, but that's of course not a bad thing. It's going to take me a few games before I get totally comfortable with the system (as it's been a while since I played Mage Knight), but in the one game I played, I enjoyed it a lot.

I assume the Through the Ages game you'll review is the new version, which I find to be a fabulous game. It's actually the kind of game where it feels like it's weaving a story as it goes along, and there is so much variety in each game even though you'll see so many of the cards every single game. It's awesome.

On a side note, the World Boardgaming Championships is an awesome event, and even though I didn't get out of any preliminary rounds this year, I learned a lot and hope to actually make it to the elimination rounds in something next year. I'm already excited for next July.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #3110
tarcone
Coordinator

I love 1775. Absolutely love it.

I have wanted to visit the WBC. So many conventions to get too.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #3111
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Touching on some of the games ColtCrazy mentioned:

I just bought 1775 when I was at the World Boardgaming Championships last week. I've gotten to play it a couple of times with my wife, and it's a lot of fun. It's more strategic than it looks on the surface, and it's a good combination of strategy and luck. It's a good game.

Star Trek Frontiers is very, very much like Mage Knight, but that's of course not a bad thing. It's going to take me a few games before I get totally comfortable with the system (as it's been a while since I played Mage Knight), but in the one game I played, I enjoyed it a lot.

I assume the Through the Ages game you'll review is the new version, which I find to be a fabulous game. It's actually the kind of game where it feels like it's weaving a story as it goes along, and there is so much variety in each game even though you'll see so many of the cards every single game. It's awesome.

On a side note, the World Boardgaming Championships is an awesome event, and even though I didn't get out of any preliminary rounds this year, I learned a lot and hope to actually make it to the elimination rounds in something next year. I'm already excited for next July.

I've used 1775 in my classroom for a couple of years. I love the game, and you're right about it being more than it looks.

Yes, the Through the Ages game is the new one. I've played many civ style games, but I never played the original TtA. I've heard this one made some major jumps from the original, which was highly regarded. I'm looking forward to getting that one on the table. (Fief as well).

My friend was a long time WBC gamer. He's talked about going back for a weekend next year (we're both admin in education and are back in the office when WBC happens). If he goes, I'm tagging along. I've heard the new venue was amazing.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #3112
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Anyone familiar with both the original and new versions of TtA? I have the old one, and despite liking it I don't have many fellow gamers that agree with me. Wondering if the changes may be enough to change their minds and help me get it to the table more often.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #3113
tarcone
Coordinator

I just picked up Risk:Europe.

This is not your usual Risk game though. But the Risk name is used to make it more popular, i guess.

This is a CDG. There is a victory condition. Own 7 crowns. Capitals count as a crown. Rome counts as 2. You can buy crowns.
It has an Axis and Allies vibe in that you buy troops at different costs, and they hit at different dice numbers.
It is for 2-4 and the 4 armies are all different. 4 different troop types all different molds. You have footmen, cavalry, archers, and siege engines.

Looks like another good risk product, though nothing like the base game.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #3114
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I just picked up Risk:Europe.

This is not your usual Risk game though. But the Risk name is used to make it more popular, i guess.

This is a CDG. There is a victory condition. Own 7 crowns. Capitals count as a crown. Rome counts as 2. You can buy crowns.
It has an Axis and Allies vibe in that you buy troops at different costs, and they hit at different dice numbers.
It is for 2-4 and the 4 armies are all different. 4 different troop types all different molds. You have footmen, cavalry, archers, and siege engines.

Looks like another good risk product, though nothing like the base game.

I have been looking at that one . Are the factions unique in any way? Or are all the armies the same? What makes the factions different from each other ? Special power or cultural power? Leaders?

Last edited by Galaril : 08-09-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #3115
tarcone
Coordinator

I probably didnt explain it very well. The molds are all very different. For example, the siege engines, one country is a "working" catapult, while another is 3 guys holding a battering ram.

The cities you control have different powers. You control a city, you get its special power.
No to leaders, no to cultural.

Here is a review and the reason I pulled the trigger. This is my favorite reviewer

Old 08-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #3116
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just got back from my 20th GenCon. Yes, I am old.

We played one new board game there that my buddy picked up: Vast: The Crystal Caverns

Vast: The Crystal Caverns | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

It was a Kickstarter that just came out.

We only played it once and it was the first time for all of us, but it really fun. It's 4-5 player game. You can be one of the following: The Knight, The Goblins, The Dragon, The Thief, or The Cave itself.

Each player has their own objective.

The Knight has to kill the dragon.
The Goblins have to kill the knight.
The Dragon has to wake up and get to the surface.
The Cave has to expand and then collapse.
The Thief needs to get 6 treasures safely out of the cave.

It's quite a balancing act, since as soon as one player achieves her objective the game is over.

The game, itself, seemed pretty balanced. Everyone was very close to winning, or had a chance to win, when the game ended.

It's a pretty unique game since each character plays very differently and has its own set of rules.

I'd definitely recommend it.

We also played Sentinels of the Multiverse. I do enjoy that game so.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-09-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #3117
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I probably didnt explain it very well. The molds are all very different. For example, the siege engines, one country is a "working" catapult, while another is 3 guys holding a battering ram.

The cities you control have different powers. You control a city, you get its special power.
No to leaders, no to cultural.

Here is a review and the reason I pulled the trigger. This is my favorite reviewer

Thanks. Maraundo is my favorite reviewer too.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #3118
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I generally hate the original Risk, but I remember getting the Lord of the Rings version and enjoying it. I've heard great things about the latest Star Wars one. And this one sounds really good!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #3119
tarcone
Coordinator

The new versions dont really look like Risk. I think they use the name because it is familiar.

I hear Risk 2210 AD is really good. And the Game of Thrones version looks intriguing.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #3120
bob
College Starter

Anyone have any good methods for selling boardgames? We have several that I'm not sure my kids are ever going to want to play, and rather than move them when we sell our house and move in with my inlaws, I'd rather try to find a way to sell them.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #3121
tarcone
Coordinator

There are a couple places on facebook. I just sold a bunch of waqrgames and they were snatched up by that crowd.

Boardgame traders is one for just regular boardgames.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #3122
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
There are a couple places on facebook. I just sold a bunch of waqrgames and they were snatched up by that crowd.

Mind sharing that Facebook site ?
Old 08-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #3123
tarcone
Coordinator

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586945728191918/

Old 08-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #3124
Galaril
Pro Starter

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #3125
tarcone
Coordinator

I went to a gaming event yesterday. It is at a local game shop and runs from Noon to Midnight. $20 to get in. You get lunch, dinner, snacks and drinks. Plus they have a couple racks of games that they give away by drawing tickets. You choose what game you want. It has a good selection of games.
I won a game and choose Fief France 1429. A good win.

I played the KS edition of Mare Nostrum and Scythe.

I liked both games. Scythe I liked better. Fun game. The person who brought upgraded the pieces. Which made it look great.

If Scythe wasnt so expensive, it would be on my list of games to buy.

If you are in St louis when these occur, which is about 4 times or so a month, try and go.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #3126
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Playing Pandemic, you know that feeling when on the next to last player turn, knowing on the last turn the then active player will cure the last disease, there are only 2 infection cards in the entire deck that can end things and the first of three to turn over is one of those 2 cards? Yes, we had that happen tonight.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #3127
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Picked up Descent and an expansion used for $60, pretty excited to get to try it out at some point.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #3128
tarcone
Coordinator

I am hearing Scythe has a real good solo set of rules. I have no idea what they are like.

Expensive game, but may be on my radar if I knew what the solo rules include.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:24 AM   #3129
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
The new versions dont really look like Risk. I think they use the name because it is familiar.

I hear Risk 2210 AD is really good. And the Game of Thrones version looks intriguing.

I have a copy of Risk 2210 for sale if interested shoot me a pm.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-22-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #3130
bob
College Starter

Quote:

I just noticed that someone replied to this... Thanks.

I doubt they will be worth much as some of them are kickstarter games that never made it big that my family just isn't that interested in.

Do local stores ever do game swaps and stuff like that?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #3131
tarcone
Coordinator

Doubtful. But maybe. I know the 2 LGS have game shelves. If they are KSer editions there might be interest. But I only know of them trading Magic cards.

List them here, also. There are several of us. Maybe they would garner some interest.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #3132
tarcone
Coordinator

Those of you interested in Twilight Struggle, but thought it might be too much. The designers of said game have come out with a new game called Imperial Struggle. This pits England v. France in the years 1697-1789.

It is a GMT P500. Looks like the same system but much easier than Twilight Struggle. It is rated a 3/10 for complexity.

Only $39

GMT Games - Imperial Struggle

Old 08-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #3133
bob
College Starter

Is anyone planning on getting Seafall? I haven't heard great initial impressions.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #3134
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My GenCon hauls:

I bought Freedom: The Underground Railroad and the expansion for Roll for the Galaxy

My editor got me:
Through the Ages
Fief and its expansion
Sentinel Tactics
TANKS
Unfair
Terminator Geneysis (freebie I don't have to review which is good since it looks horrible)

I've played Unfair, which is a card game about building amusement parks. I remember loving Rollercoaster Tycoon and this gave me that feel. But it's got several issues that annoy me. Every event card has both a good event for you or an attack event for an opponent. With so much attack value, the game can really bog down. There's optional cards to use, basically house rule cards, that take away the dirty play. But then some of the mechanics change and some cards lose value. The scoring is also screwy. While a thrill ride with one upgrade gives you more money in the game, it is worth less victory points than a restaurant with restrooms and air conditioning. What???? I waned to like this game and there's potential, but the rules need an overhaul or house rules need to be in place.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #3135
tarcone
Coordinator

Im curious on Fief. i just won the base game. I havent opened it yet. Im intimidated by the rules.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the game.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #3136
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Is anyone planning on getting Seafall? I haven't heard great initial impressions.

I have it pre-ordered. The delays aren't exactly leaving me brimming with confidence.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #3137
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Im curious on Fief. i just won the base game. I havent opened it yet. Im intimidated by the rules.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the game.

Will do. Going to try to at least solo through the rules this weekend. Hoping to convince my gaming group to give it a try.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #3138
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Amazon.com: Bill & Ted's Excellent Board Game: Toys & Games

I want this game. First house rule, whenever you capture a person from the past, you have to do a Wyld Stallyns air guitar.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #3139
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Thanks for the heads up tarcone, I just picked it up myself. Trains was on clearance as well, so I threw that in as well. It does seem like I might not get many chances to play it, but I'm excited about it.

Just as a heads up:

My brand new, sealed copy of Trains from Miniature Market came with the completely wrong quantity of cards. Of the 39 different cards, only 22 of them had the correct quantity. 17 of them were incorrect, including 7 different types of cards that were completely absent. I've sent an email to AEG (the manufacturer); hopefully it's not a drawn-out process to get the right materials.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #3140
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Just as a heads up:

My brand new, sealed copy of Trains from Miniature Market came with the completely wrong quantity of cards. Of the 39 different cards, only 22 of them had the correct quantity. 17 of them were incorrect, including 7 different types of cards that were completely absent. I've sent an email to AEG (the manufacturer); hopefully it's not a drawn-out process to get the right materials.
Yikes. What a bummer. It's a fun game. The whole idea of scoring points on the map adds a nice twist to the familiar deck-building mechanic. If you end up enjoying the game (once you get the proper set of cards), I highly recommend the Rising Sun expansion. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #3141
AnalBumCover
College Starter

There's a new Ticket to Ride game that caters to the younger audience (age 6+). Ticket to Ride: First Journey is a Target stores exclusive. I found it while shopping at the store. I currently have the classic version, but am considering buying this one so my daughter can also play. I guess the full version will just be kept on the shelf for a while.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #3142
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Yikes. What a bummer. It's a fun game. The whole idea of scoring points on the map adds a nice twist to the familiar deck-building mechanic. If you end up enjoying the game (once you get the proper set of cards), I highly recommend the Rising Sun expansion. Good luck!

Thanks, Pump. AEG was pretty great, just asked for a picture of the barcode and my address, sent me out a new set of cards. I haven't been able to open them up yet, but I'm excited to give it a shot.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #3143
tarcone
Coordinator

Started a solo play through of Risk:Europe last night. Got through a round.

Wow. I like this game. I cant wait to get back to it. And play with opponents.

Fantastic design

Old 08-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #3144
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am torn between which big box version to grab Alhambra or Fresco. I am looking for something euro gamer like with nicer components that is a good family light/medium weight complexity that plays well for 2 to 4 and in less than two hours. Anyone have an options on either of these and especially if they have played both.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #3145
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Has anyone played 'Small World'? Looks like a Civ building game, but I noticed it's for 8+ age, so I'm considering it to play with my kids.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #3146
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Has anyone played 'Small World'? Looks like a Civ building game, but I noticed it's for 8+ age, so I'm considering it to play with my kids.

Small World is good fun. The game mechanics are pretty straightforward; the only trick is remembering the modifications that different traits, races, and territories make to the default mechanics. A quick 8-year-old could catch on, and I would expect that anyone 12+ would be fine. Let me know if you're curious about anything else.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #3147
tarcone
Coordinator

Check into the Castle Panic games. Those are easy and fun.

They have a few themes now. Dead Panic and Star trek Panic I believe.

Ive never played Small World

Old 08-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #3148
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Check into the Castle Panic games. Those are easy and fun.

They have a few themes now. Dead Panic and Star trek Panic I believe.

Ive never played Small World

Star Trek Panic is very good one more involved panic flavor.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #3149
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

It's good for kids. I am not a huge fan as there is only one or two real decisions to make in the game. But again, it is good for kids.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #3150
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I am torn between which big box version to grab Alhambra or Fresco. I am looking for something euro gamer like with nicer components that is a good family light/medium weight complexity that plays well for 2 to 4 and in less than two hours. Anyone have an options on either of these and especially if they have played both.
I have not played Fresco, but Alhambra frankly drags a little bit once you get above 3 players, in my opinion. It is a very good game, but I did a 5-player table at the World Boardgaming Championships, and it just felt really slow, even with a couple of experienced players. Then again, I can't say that Fresco is any better, but it's something to think about. For a game that has very simple mechanics (speaking of base Alhambra), it seems like it could or should move faster. Don't get me wrong, I do love the game, but I only love it at 2 or 3 players. I only "like" it at 4 or more.

Quote:
I wouldn't describe Small World as a civ building game. It's entirely area control. It's just a matter of managing your armies for some length of time and then throwing them away when they get too weak or spread out. I like the game a lot, but just beware of one thing. If any of your kids don't like direct conflict, they're not going to be happy. The game practically requires that you attack and be attacked throughout. It's still a very nice, light-to-medium game.