Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #3151
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
He didn't just verbal, he held a news conference to announce his decision and presumably sign his LOI. To me, at that point you lay off the kid unless he himself initiates a conversation saying "Coach, I know I verballed to school X, but I'm having second thoughts..."

The reports coming out from the weekend are saying the Cal was calling everyone he knew that was at the press conference and asking them to put him on with Jones - his parents, his coach, the school's AD...

Seems like kindof a bitch move to me. If you have a giant press coneference and announce where you're going, that should be it. End of story.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #3152
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Seems like kindof a bitch move to me. If you have a giant press coneference and announce where you're going, that should be it. End of story.

SI

In all fairness, Jones should be taking some of the hit as well. Though I hate to say that about any young man making an important life changing decision. In hindsight, he would have been better off canceling his press conference if he was still undecided as it seems he is.

I've heard the same rumors as Dawgfan that Calipari called people close to Jones to either contact him or change his mind. No idea if those rumors are true.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #3153
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I just hope that the NCAA starts taking a closer look at the one and done rule. I know supposedly that's not the only issue for the grades, but it's definitely one of them.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #3154
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I just hope that the NCAA starts taking a closer look at the one and done rule. I know supposedly that's not the only issue for the grades, but it's definitely one of them.

That was just for the fall semester; if you give all the players that are going pro (and not going to class anymore) F's in their classes the final team GPA would have to end up somewhere around a 1.00 for the year.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #3155
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So are you suggesting that Mike Anderson directly calls a player after they've given a verbal to another school? The guys I've talked to have said most of the time the coaches back off after a verbal, but will still keep in indirect contact either with the high school or AAU coach just to see if anything has changed.

Absolutely. They usually don't call them while the kid is at the ceremony (that honor is reserved for Calipari), but there's no question that any coaching staff worth a lick usually contacts recruits who verbal to other schools within 24-48 hours. You're presenting a recruiting utopia that simply does not exist in college basketball at the major conference level.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-04-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #3156
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, I'll agree with MBBF here. I follow a lesser program that has the pleasure of being in the toughest conference, and that presents the sort of pressure where you always need to recruit a kid. While I don't know if other schools go as far as Calipari did (playing up the whole "you disappointed thousands" angle), but it happens. You may not hear about it a ton in basketball because of the early signing period which allows players to cut off their recruitment.

It's a part of why football coaches are pushing hard to get something similar in that sport, and to me, the only reason it hasn't happened yet is because football recruiting is a bigger business and the recruiting services significantly benefit when more high profile players are in play later on. There are some kids who verbal but make it known they are still looking around, there are some who verbal and say nothing, and sometimes you get kids who verbal and make it clear to other coaches that they have no interest in still being recruited. From what I've seen with some early Rutgers verbals, most football coaches seem to respect that last approach.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #3157
Logan
Head Coach

And in related news, Mike Rice is leaving Robert Morris to take the Rutgers job. Pretty happy with the hire.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #3158
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Absolutely. They usually don't call them while the kid is at the ceremony (that honor is reserved for Calipari), but there's no question that any coaching staff worth a lick usually contacts recruits who verbal to other schools within 24-48 hours. You're presenting a recruiting utopia that simply does not exist in college basketball at the major conference level.

Here's an article from bleacherreport that talks about the Eric Gordon situation (verbal to Illinois, but was then recruited by Sampson to Indiana). Basically it talks about the ethics in coaching and even suggests other coaches (Wainwright, Cronin, and Izzo) weren't too keen on a coach recruiting a player who had given a verbal commitment.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...bal-commitment

Does it happen? I'm sure it does though I don't believe it's the norm as it is in football. Again, it's an ethical decision.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #3159
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
To me, at that point you lay off the kid...

Sure, but you have ethics and character, and thus would be a spectacular failure in college basketball recruiting.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #3160
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Sure, but you have ethics and character, and thus would be a spectacular failure in college basketball recruiting.
And here's the rich part - Cal claims he doesn't recruit players after they've committed to another school:

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1080956

Oh really? So that wasn't you on the phone with Terrence Jones just minutes after he committed to Washington at his press conference in front of his family, friends, High School classmates and thousands more that watched via the web? You had nothing to do with Jones deciding not to sign his LOI and re-thinking his commitment to Washington?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #3161
RainMaker
General Manager

Kentuck isn't really a college program. It's more semi-pro. The guys aren't really part of the school, just 1-year mercenaries. I understand alumni want to win, but that has to kill some of the fun from it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #3162
RedKingGold
College Starter

You overestimate alumni.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #3163
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yahoo is reporting Calipari may have interest in the Bulls job. I wonder if he finally was fed up and wanted to go coach somewhere where he made roughly the same amount as the players?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #3164
RedKingGold
College Starter

Nick Saban will not be Memphis's next head coach.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #3165
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Yahoo is reporting Calipari may have interest in the Bulls job. I wonder if he finally was fed up and wanted to go coach somewhere where he made roughly the same amount as the players?
Please no.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #3166
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
You overestimate alumni.

I'm with RedKingGold. I've seen Memphis and Kentucky fans do a complete 180 on Calipari since he left Memphis for Kentucky. Kentucky fans used to believe Calipari was a slimeball and Memphis fans adored him. Now it's exactly opposite for both fan bases. Every fan base will turn a blind eye to a successful coach.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #3167
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

And the plot thickens.......

Terrence Jones just decommited from Washington.

Aren't you glad that your job security doesn't rely on the whims of 17-18 year old kids?

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-05-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #3168
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Every fan base will turn a blind eye to a successful coach.

I dunno. I thought Kelvin Sampson was a slimeball from Day 1 at IU.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #3169
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
And the plot thickens.......

Terrence Jones just decommited from Washington.

Aren't you glad that your job security doesn't rely on the whims of 17-18 year old kids?
Link?

From everything I've read, there's been no real news since the aftermath of his news conference, which is he publicly picked UW but has yet to sign and send in his LOI, and has made no public statements since then. Indications are he's wavering between Washington & Kentucky, but his H.S. coach and reportedly his family still think he'll end up at Washington.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #3170
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I dunno. I thought Kelvin Sampson was a slimeball from Day 1 at IU.

You're a good man/alien Kodos.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #3171
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Link?

From everything I've read, there's been no real news since the aftermath of his news conference, which is he publicly picked UW but has yet to sign and send in his LOI, and has made no public statements since then. Indications are he's wavering between Washington & Kentucky, but his H.S. coach and reportedly his family still think he'll end up at Washington.

Terrence Jones has Decommitted from Washington:Updated

Various attributions & quotes there but this one covers what you're looking for if it's accurate
Rivals.com's Jerry Meyer finally got direct quote from Terrence Jones on his status: "I'm still not sure yet who I'm going to sign with." 5 minutes ago via web
Old 05-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #3172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if Jones could go with Coach Cal to the Bulls?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #3173
RainMaker
General Manager

How much is Kentucky offering for Jones?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #3174
MJ4H
Coordinator

Rumor is Pelphrey's job will be safe no matter the outcome next year, even, if he manages to land 2 of the 3 big in-state recruits this year:

Aaron Ross
Ky Madden
Hunter Mickelson

Our in-state class is stacked next year, and these are all 3 big time guys that we will be wanting.

Aaron Ross has been commited for awhile. Today, Hunter Mickelson committed. Hello John Pelphrey for the forseeable future.

It's great that we have an infusion of talent, but holy crap our athletic director is starting to piss me off*

*to be fair, this is only rumor, but it comes from someone I trust (he was saying the exact same thing I was in our previous little scuttle I talked about on this board--his source is solid).
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #3175
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Terrence Jones has Decommitted from Washington:Updated

Various attributions & quotes there but this one covers what you're looking for if it's accurate
Rivals.com's Jerry Meyer finally got direct quote from Terrence Jones on his status: "I'm still not sure yet who I'm going to sign with." 5 minutes ago via web
Here's a more complete article on the current status with Jones:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...nt_of_ter.html

Here's the most relevant quote from Jones:

"I'm still committed to Washington," Jones said on Wednesday, "but I'm not willing to sign anything at this point."
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #3176
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

How come the AD is so hell bent on Pelphrey? It seems odd that his job is so safe before the season even begins.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #3177
Izulde
Head Coach

Heh. I'm going to refrain from commenting on Arkansas basketball until July.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 AM   #3178
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Rumor is Pelphrey's job will be safe no matter the outcome next year, even, if he manages to land 2 of the 3 big in-state recruits this year:

Aaron Ross
Ky Madden
Hunter Mickelson

Our in-state class is stacked next year, and these are all 3 big time guys that we will be wanting.

Aaron Ross has been commited for awhile. Today, Hunter Mickelson committed. Hello John Pelphrey for the forseeable future.

It's great that we have an infusion of talent, but holy crap our athletic director is starting to piss me off*

*to be fair, this is only rumor, but it comes from someone I trust (he was saying the exact same thing I was in our previous little scuttle I talked about on this board--his source is solid).

Good pickups by Pelphrey, but I just can't imagine an AD giving him a free pass after the last two seasons. Maybe this year he gets things going back in the right direction and the patience from the AD pays off.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #3179
MJ4H
Coordinator

I will say it is possible. There are a lot of cancers to the team (from outside appearances) that just left the team. The ones that are left seem to be 100% on board and there are some good ones coming in. It could happen. I'm definitely open-minded about this coming season, but man, he really needs to show something AFAIC.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #3180
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Wear twins are looking to transfer from UNC and sadly, I think UCLA might be a destination
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #3181
Blade6119
Coordinator

Oklahoma State had it star player accused of rape today, this could be a disaster for their season..
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #3182
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The Wear twins are looking to transfer from UNC and sadly, I think UCLA might be a destination

Well that's 6 points and 4 boards a game that UNC will just not be able to replace.

In all seriousness, I am totally indifferent here. I guess there was a little potential here, but they were both godawful last year. 6'10" stick figures who got run over in the paint and didn't want to be there in the first place. Both of them preferred being out near the 3 point line and offered no sort of inside presence at all. I could see them developing into decent players by their senior seasons but I'm perfectly happy having that happen elsewhere.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #3183
MrBug708
Head Coach

Does make your front court rather thin, no?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #3184
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Well that's 6 points and 4 boards a game that UNC will just not be able to replace.

In all seriousness, I am totally indifferent here. I guess there was a little potential here, but they were both godawful last year. 6'10" stick figures who got run over in the paint and didn't want to be there in the first place. Both of them preferred being out near the 3 point line and offered no sort of inside presence at all. I could see them developing into decent players by their senior seasons but I'm perfectly happy having that happen elsewhere.

At UCLA (if that's where they end), they are a better fit for the outside game and the current roster, as UCLA needs players who are dangerous face up players and can be mismatches because of their height and skill at the 3 and 4. Actual post up guys at UCLA, already pretty deep there, with Reeves Nelson, Anthony Stover and the incoming Josh Smith. None of those guys are face up guys. Only face up 4 we really have now is Brendan Lane.

If the Wears do come to UCLA, I hope the use the season off to work on their strength and refining their skills and be ready to a big part of a good veteran 2011 UCLA team.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #3185
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I suspect that the Wears will do better at UCLA. For one thing, it's my understanding that they weren't at 100% health last year with UNC.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #3186
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Does make your front court rather thin, no?

Yeah, but as long as Larry Drew is the point guard UNC is irrelevant on the national scene anyway. I'd rather watch a couple walkons or go small and crazy athletic and forget size altogether. Can't win a title either way, so lets just have a fun to watch team.

note: its slightly possible that I have an irrational hatred of larry drew and cannot be reasonable in any way about any of this
Old 05-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #3187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, but as long as Larry Drew is the point guard UNC is irrelevant on the national scene anyway. I'd rather watch a couple walkons or go small and crazy athletic and forget size altogether. Can't win a title either way, so lets just have a fun to watch team.

note: its slightly possible that I have an irrational hatred of larry drew and cannot be reasonable in any way about any of this

Larry Drew = Reggie Ball ?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #3188
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Larry Drew = Reggie Ball ?

I'm willing to admit that my extreme dislike of Larry Drew is at least a bit irrational. Reggie Ball earned every bit of hatred thrown his way by Georgia Tech football fans. Nothing irrational about it at all.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #3189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm willing to admit that my extreme dislike of Larry Drew is at least a bit irrational. Reggie Ball earned every bit of hatred thrown his way by Georgia Tech football fans. Nothing irrational about it at all.

After watching him play several times this past season, I'm not sure that hatred of LD is irrational at all.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #3190
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Final Rivals recruiting rankings are out for 2010.

1. Memphis
2. Kentucky
3. Ohio State
4. North Carolina
5. North Carolina State
6. Missouri
7. Syracuse
8. Texas
9. Tennessee
10. Duke

PowerMizzou.com - Five teams enter team recruiting rankings
Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #3191
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont understand Rivals rankings at all
Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #3192
MJ4H
Coordinator

I think rivals is generally considered pretty poor at basketball. From what I understand Scout is preferred in basketball and Rivals is preferred in football.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #3193
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ya, I've always leaned that way as well. My issue isnt with the player rankings, but how they rank the teams?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #3194
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think rivals is generally considered pretty poor at basketball. From what I understand Scout is preferred in basketball and Rivals is preferred in football.

That was true 4-5 years ago, but not now. Scout's basketball staff has been heavily pillaged by Rivals for that reason. Rivals just added one of Scout's best basketball recruiting guys a few days ago (Eric Bossi). It was one more big blow to Scout to lose Eric.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #3195
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Ya, I've always leaned that way as well. My issue isnt with the player rankings, but how they rank the teams?

It's always about the quality/quantity argument. What do you weigh more heavily?

As you mention, the individual rankings always even themselves out, plus you can use the Composite Index to get a good average ranking. That should be updated sometime in June 2010.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #3196
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

I have a lot of issues with that in both basketball and football. The formulas they use are more than a little suspect and reward things that don't contribute as much to a team winning as things they penalize. That's mostly about football, though.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #3197
MrBug708
Head Coach

Eric Bossi was solid, but not the best Scout writer.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-07-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #3198
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I have a lot of issues with that in both basketball and football. The formulas they use are more than a little suspect and reward things that don't contribute as much to a team winning as things they penalize. That's mostly about football, though.

Sorry for the confusion, but I meant how they rank the recruiting rankings for teams.

Mizzou had it right, land 2 Top 150 kids, sign a bunch more, top 15 ranking just like that
Old 05-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #3199
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Eric Bossi was solid, but not the best Scout writer.

Just out of curiousity, who do you consider the best over at Scout on the basketball front?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #3200
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, but I meant how they rank the recruiting rankings for teams.

Mizzou had it right, land 2 Top 150 kids, sign a bunch more, top 15 ranking just like that

Yeah I know that's what I was talking about.