Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #3201
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Just out of curiousity, who do you consider the best over at Scout on the basketball front?

Bossi was a writer turned scout, like a lot of the guys in both networks start out doing. Dave Telep is the national editor for scout but started out as a scout. Hick's is probably the best scout, but he's based mostly on the west coast and doesn't do national scouting.

To be fair though, I consider Rivals trash for most of their stuff

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-07-2010 at 09:48 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #3202
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

So those are Rivals "final" rankings despite the fact that 5 of their top 150 players aren't listed as committed yet, including #13 overall Terrence Jones?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #3203
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
So those are Rivals "final" rankings despite the fact that 5 of their top 150 players aren't listed as committed yet, including #13 overall Terrence Jones?

Correct. Most recruiting sites wait for the final signing period to end and give it a week or two before assigning final team rankings. They'll still update when those teams sign, but they won't adjust the team rankings.

It should be noted that the article did mention that adding Jones at UK would likely have bumped them over Memphis.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-07-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #3204
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It should be noted that the article did mention that adding Jones at UK would likely have bumped them over Memphis.
I'm a little surprised Washington didn't crack their top-25, and they most certainly should if Jones follows through on his commitment.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #3205
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Final Rivals recruiting rankings are out for 2010.

1. Memphis
2. Kentucky
3. Ohio State
4. North Carolina
5. North Carolina State
6. Missouri
7. Syracuse
8. Texas
9. Tennessee
10. Duke

PowerMizzou.com - Five teams enter team recruiting rankings

There will be blood this coming year in the Triangle. Probably going to be the best season in these parts since...what? The late 1980s?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #3206
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Close call during an apartment fire for GT basketball player D'Andre Bell. Dangling from his fingertips off the balcony during an apartment complex fire, rescued by a passer-by who grabbed a ladder.
Fire Victim: 'I Was Hanging By My Fingers' - News Story - WSB Atlanta
Old 05-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #3207
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Sorry for the confusion, but I meant how they rank the recruiting rankings for teams.

Mizzou had it right, land 2 Top 150 kids, sign a bunch more, top 15 ranking just like that

Well im not sure i totally agree with that arguement, Mizzou lands two top 61 kids and the #1 Juco in the nation, not many teams can match that. Ignoring the other 3 signings, thats a top 15 class by itself.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #3208
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Well im not sure i totally agree with that arguement, Mizzou lands two top 61 kids and the #1 Juco in the nation, not many teams can match that. Ignoring the other 3 signings, thats a top 15 class by itself.

Missouri has a very nice class, but Bug is correct in that Rivals ranking puts an emphasis on quantity. They do the same in football where a team that has an average "star" rating of 3 with 18 players would be ranked worse than a team with an average "star" rating of 2.8 with 24 players. There's an argument for both sides. As we all know in the end all that matters is how the team performs on the court.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #3209
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Oh. My. God.

http://vimeo.com/11582018
Old 05-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #3210
DataKing
Pro Rookie

You're just jealous that you don't have Coach Self's moves.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #3211
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:

Did he remove some of his hair plugs for that?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #3212
Groundhog
Coordinator

That video would make a great recruiting pitch for every school other than Kansas.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #3213
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Never too early to start talking about 2010-2011. Here's some rankings after taking stock of who's staying in the draft.

Top 32.............

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0nZ2qdMHX

Top 25..............

NCAA College Basketball News, Videos, Scores, Standings, Stats, Teams - FOX Sports on MSN
Old 05-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #3214
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dola.......and another Top 25.....

Andy Katz's Preseason Top 25: Defending champ Duke will start new season No. 1 - ESPN
Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #3215
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

So, Carolina has an utter disaster of a season (for them), barely squeak into the NIT field, rally together long enough to lose in the NIT final, and lose players left and right in the offseason. This, of course, means they're a borderline top 10 team next year.

Right then.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #3216
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
So, Carolina has an utter disaster of a season (for them), barely squeak into the NIT field, rally together long enough to lose in the NIT final, and lose players left and right in the offseason. This, of course, means they're a borderline top 10 team next year.

The high ranking in the preseason polls was bullshit last year too(though I assumed they were still a top 25 team that was overrated by being polled in the top 5, it was so much worse than that). And this year I guess a top recruiting class could be worthy of a top 25 ranking maybe, but #11 is laughable.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #3217
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
The high ranking in the preseason polls was bullshit last year too(though I assumed they were still a top 25 team that was overrated by being polled in the top 5, it was so much worse than that). And this year I guess a top recruiting class could be worthy of a top 25 ranking maybe, but #11 is laughable.

Harrison Barnes is going to be awfully good for UNC. Maybe my man crush on him is making me naive, but I definitely think he'll make UNC a top 25 team. Number 11? Stranger things have happened.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #3218
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I definitely think UNC can be a Top 25 team. I know the media incessantly sucks up to UNC as part of the machine that spins the Duke/UNC rivalry as the greatest thing in college basketball, but I would have thought perhaps a more reasoned and cautious outlook would have been in order.

Then again, I've got more problems than UNC's rankings with all of this since NC State's got an equally good set of freshmen coming in and we hardly lost anyone that mattered from last year's team (Horner, maybe), yet we can't even get a mention in the "Others to Watch" categories on these polls, let alone any sort of Top 25 consideration.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #3219
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I definitely think UNC can be a Top 25 team. I know the media incessantly sucks up to UNC as part of the machine that spins the Duke/UNC rivalry as the greatest thing in college basketball, but I would have thought perhaps a more reasoned and cautious outlook would have been in order.

Then again, I've got more problems than UNC's rankings with all of this since NC State's got an equally good set of freshmen coming in and we hardly lost anyone that mattered from last year's team (Horner, maybe), yet we can't even get a mention in the "Others to Watch" categories on these polls, let alone any sort of Top 25 consideration.

That's just the usual media bias. They are going to give the benefit of the doubt to UNC given their history vs NC State. The great thing about the pre-season basketball polls is that they don't mean anything when it comes to crowning a champ. NC State will have plenty of time to prove themselves next season.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #3220
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

The 2009-2010 attendance numbers are out.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...b6be967b4a3893
Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #3221
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
The 2009-2010 attendance numbers are out.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...b6be967b4a3893

But is that turnstile count or tickets sold? And does it take into account all of the people at the club level where they serve alcohol?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #3222
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

You really cannot rely on these numbers. For instance, Kansas counts everyone within 5 miles of the fieldhouse on gameday while Missouri only counts those who stayed for the whole game and drank 3 beers, ate one brat and brought a child under 5 to the game.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #3223
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
But is that turnstile count or tickets sold? And does it take into account all of the people at the club level where they serve alcohol?

Actually, you left out a method. The three acceptable forms of reporting attendance per NCAA rules are as follows.......

1. Actual tickets sold.
2. Actual number of people through the turnstile.
3. Estimate by staff member of athletic department attending the event.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #3224
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
You really cannot rely on these numbers. For instance, Kansas counts everyone within 5 miles of the fieldhouse on gameday while Missouri only counts those who stayed for the whole game and drank 3 beers, ate one brat and brought a child under 5 to the game.

And yet again, we have another discussion about Missouri when no one supposedly wants to talk about Missouri. Hard to take the complaints as legitimate when the people complaining are the ones that keep restarting the discussion.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #3225
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Oh boy, here comes the martyr syndrome. Get a grip. Here's a clue: people aren't discussing Mizzou, they are discussing your ridiculous posting history.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #3226
MJ4H
Coordinator

lol
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #3227
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oh boy, here comes the martyr syndrome. Get a grip. Here's a clue: people aren't discussing Mizzou, they are discussing your ridiculous posting history.

There's no martyrs here. I'm happy to discuss Mizzou all day long.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #3228
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
lol

I'm guessing your source told you to laugh?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #3229
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Exactly.

But I also like talking about Mizzou basketball, especially their accomplishments in the Tournament. Let me list them:

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #3230
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #3231
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I haven't seen it confirmed via a news service, but it's being said that Texas A&M recruit, Tobi Oyedeji, was killed in a car accident after his prom. Awful news if true for a talented young basketball player.

It looks as if it's been confirmed. Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of this young man who died way too young.

http://www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/93893324.html

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 05-16-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #3232
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I haven't seen it confirmed via a news service, but it's being said that Texas A&M recruit, Tobi Oyedeji, was killed in a car accident after his prom. Awful news if true for a talented young basketball player.

It looks as if it's been confirmed. Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of this young man who died way too young.

http://www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/93893324.html

Mizzou had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. Kid in that situation was a top 50 national talent who decided it would be a good idea to try to pass someone on the shoulder of the road. This incident sounds like bad decision making as well. Such a shame.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #3233
Izulde
Head Coach

Despite offseason of activity, MWC basketball powers appear strong - Las Vegas Sun

Las Vegas Sun article assessing the MWC powers. Figured BYU 14, MacroGuru, and the other BYU fans on the board would be interested if nothing else. Sorry, Dark Cloud, no Wyoming.

I don't see UNLV as the favorites for the Mountain West. I'd give the nod to SDSU, who has all 5 starters back and an actual frontcourt worth mentioning, unlike the Cougars and the Runnin' Rebels.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #3234
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Terrence Jones is supposedly going to sign with either Washington or Kentucky tomorrow according to a report in the Oregonian. Jones is quoted as saying he "was definitely going to sign tomorrow".

Oregonian blog entry on Jones

There are few people on the UW fan boards reporting that Jones was supposedly spotted on campus today with Romar. If true, doesn't necessarily mean he's signing with the Huskies - could be that he drove up from Portland to give Romar the courtesy of giving a last-minute in-person pitch.

But I'd guess he sticks with his commitment from his news conference and signs with Washington.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #3235
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Terrence Jones is supposedly going to sign with either Washington or Kentucky tomorrow according to a report in the Oregonian. Jones is quoted as saying he "was definitely going to sign tomorrow".

Oregonian blog entry on Jones

There are few people on the UW fan boards reporting that Jones was supposedly spotted on campus today with Romar. If true, doesn't necessarily mean he's signing with the Huskies - could be that he drove up from Portland to give Romar the courtesy of giving a last-minute in-person pitch.

But I'd guess he sticks with his commitment from his news conference and signs with Washington.

The way Terrence was so easily swayed to reconsider his commitment makes me believe that he's best served staying around home. Kentucky and that program would likely be a huge culture shock for him. I'm not sure how well he would do. Hopefully he commits to Washington.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #3236
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Welcome to Kentucky, Mr. Jones.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #3237
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Well, Washington fans are understandably feeling pretty jerked around right now. I'd guess that a lot of Husky fans wouldn't be terribly welcoming if, say, Jones switched to the Huskies down the road if Calipari does indeed jump to the NBA.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #3238
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently Jones and Knight both just have signed Financial Aid paperwork with UK and not LOI's which binds UK into offering them schollies but doesn't mean they have to sign there.

Seems like a shrewd move though this is all news to me that this is even possible. Take it for a grain of salt though I have seen a couple people reference this in different places.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #3239
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont think Jones' heart was ever with Washington. Once Oregon effed up their hire, he was left in the dark a little bit
Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #3240
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Apparently Jones and Knight both just have signed Financial Aid paperwork with UK and not LOI's which binds UK into offering them schollies but doesn't mean they have to sign there.

Seems like a shrewd move though this is all news to me that this is even possible. Take it for a grain of salt though I have seen a couple people reference this in different places.
No salt needed, it's true. It gives these guys a cleaner out of Calipari decides to jump to the NBA. I would expect that more and more high level recruits are going to go this route in the future.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #3241
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I dont think Jones' heart was ever with Washington. Once Oregon effed up their hire, he was left in the dark a little bit
According to his H.S. coach, he was swayed by the "glitz and glamor" of Kentucky. I'll leave that to others to interpret...
Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #3242
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Does it really need any interpretation?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #3243
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
this is all news to me that this is even possible

It hasn't been prevalent, but it's been going on since at least late 2002. Charlie Villanueva verballed to Illinois then, but Self advised him not to sign the NLI, because he was in talks with Kansas at the time. When Self left, Villanueva was free and clear to go anywhere he wanted instead of dealing with NLI and transfer rules.
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #3244
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

This is actually a really common move for those that decide after the late signing period. Linas Kleiza did the same thing at Mizzou when he committed during the summer.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #3245
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
According to his H.S. coach, he was swayed by the "glitz and glamor" of Kentucky. I'll leave that to others to interpret...

For sure. He was looking for a reason to leave UW and found one
Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #3246
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Is that what kids are calling briefcases of cash these days?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #3247
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Paul did move by his own choice. The staff asked him to reconsider for a couple of days, but he still decided to transfer in the end. He'll be a good player for someone.

Stone had some attitude issues that the coaches weren't very happy with despite his potential. Neither side was interested in continuing their relationship.

Based on quotes from Stone's mother, it looks like Stone was forced out by Mike Anderson. The article paints Anderson in a bad light, but I honestly don't blame the guy. I'm more upset about the fact that Stone is forced to transfer, but still must sit out a year. That is ridiculous. There should be a ruling that allows the athlete to immediately be eligible if both the player and school permit it.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/24...-surprise.html
Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #3248
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Based on quotes from Stone's mother, it looks like Stone was forced out by Mike Anderson. The article paints Anderson in a bad light, but I honestly don't blame the guy. I'm more upset about the fact that Stone is forced to transfer, but still must sit out a year. That is ridiculous. There should be a ruling that allows the athlete to immediately be eligible if both the player and school permit it.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/24...-surprise.html

As I mentioned before, there were some severe attitude issues with Stone. His mother has been shopping around her complaints to media outlets for a few weeks trying to get someone to bite. I suppose Anderson could have come out when he was released and noted that he had some attitude and work ethic issues, but that seems far worse than just letting him go and wishing him well. By stirring this up, the mom isn't helping her kid one bit.

As for the transfer rules, that's the way things go. The average number of scholarship players that transfer during college is 22%. It happens all the time. There's plenty of reasons why the transfer rules are set up how they currently stand.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-25-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #3249
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
As I mentioned before, there were some severe attitude issues with Stone. His mother has been shopping around her complaints to media outlets for a few weeks trying to get someone to bite. I suppose Anderson could have come out when he was released and noted that he had some attitude and work ethic issues, but that seems far worse than just letting him go and wishing him well. By stirring this up, the mom isn't helping her kid one bit.

As for the transfer rules, that's the way things go. The average number of scholarship players that transfer during college is 22%. It happens all the time. There's plenty of reasons why the transfer rules are set up how they currently stand.

I'll be honest, you're the first person I've heard suggest Stone had attitude issues. Maybe you know the guy or maybe you're making it up. I don't know. I definitely don't trust your sources since they are usually wrong (Beal).

There may have been attitude issues, but that doesn't discount the fact that Anderson was already recruiting two additional players with zero available scholarships throughout the winter. It's not coincidence that Stone transfers two weeks before MU secures verbals from two JUCO players. That means Stone's rumored (your rumor since I haven't seen it posted anywhere else) attitude issues weren't enough to get kicked off the team during the season, but was enough to lose his scholarship . Either way, Anderson pushed him out. No need to defend Anderson as a number of coaches recruit over players all the time.

The transfer rules were set up to for a different intent. Certainly not for this. There should be an option where a school can release the player without penalty so long as their grades are in order.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 05-25-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #3250
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'll be honest, you're the first person I've heard suggest Stone had attitude issues. Maybe you know the guy or maybe you're making it up. I don't know. I definitely don't trust your sources since they are usually wrong (Beal).

There may have been attitude issues, but that doesn't discount the fact that Anderson was already recruiting two additional players with zero available scholarships throughout the winter. It's not coincidence that Stone transfers two weeks before MU secures verbals from two JUCO players. That means Stone's rumored (your rumor since I haven't seen it posted anywhere else) attitude issues weren't enough to get kicked off the team during the season, but was enough to lose his scholarship . Either way, Anderson pushed him out. No need to defend Anderson as a number of coaches recruit over players all the time.

The transfer rules were set up to for a different intent. Certainly not for this. There should be an option where a school can release the player without penalty so long as their grades are in order.

The staff was unhappy with his attitude and work ethic before conference play even started and it was the worst kept secret in Columbia. We had literally no inside depth at the end of the year due to injuries, but Stone never left the bench because his attitude sucked. It was a clear demonstration to the rest of the players by Anderson that kind of attitude wouldn't fly if you wanted to see the floor. In addition, Paul had mentioned to the staff long before the end of the season that he may consider transferring. Just because the transfers aren't announced before the end of the season doesn't mean that they didn't decide until then. The dominoes were in place long before that point. It's accurate whether you choose to believe it or not.