Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #3251
boberot
High School Varsity

Taken: [4/10]
Man, was this disappointing. Really flimsy "plot."
Get info. Go there & kick ass.
And the action was nothing special either.

Marley & Me: [2/10]
Beyond the sad ending, this movie is frustrating to watch.
And this was really not "PG family fare."

There is a sexual undertone to it that goes beyond PG. I'm not a prude, but since when does PG include a scene where a woman is obviously stripping naked and jumping into a pool and telling her husband to "come get the rest of your birthday present"?

Other than the benefit of seeing Jennifer Aniston, there is no reason to watch this movie.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #3252
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I am most assuredly behind the times here, but I recently saw Max Payne. Having played the video game (PC version, then later the xbox version), I found that the movie actually did a good job in following the game's plot and dark theme. "Jackie" (Mila Kunis) did a great job as well.

I liked this movie because it did what it was supposed to do: be dark and somber. To this day, I will never forget the sound of a baby crying as Max Payne is walking through his house.

8.5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #3253
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

D'oh, a double post. My bad.

Last edited by RomaGoth : 06-17-2009 at 01:51 PM.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #3254
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
I'm not a prude, but since when does PG include a scene where a woman is obviously stripping naked and jumping into a pool and telling her husband to "come get the rest of your birthday present"?

Seriously? I'm going to go ahead and argue that you are a prude, with the evidence of such prudery quoted above.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #3255
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Seriously? I'm going to go ahead and argue that you are a prude, with the evidence of such prudery quoted above.

I concur.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #3256
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I haven't seen UP but by and large, movies in 3-D annoy the living bejeezus out of me. And watching them gives me a wicked headache.

/tk

I didn't see it in 3D.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #3257
chinaski
College Prospect

The Hangover - 9/10. Didnt quite live up to my expectations, but it was still excellent. The credits made me cry I was laughing so hard.

Drag Me To Hell - 7.5/10. Walked away a little underwhelmed. Scared the shit out of my girlfriend, I dont think I jumped even once though. Didnt scare me at all, had more intentional laughs than scares for me. Still a fun movie.

Star Trek - 10/10. Absolutely what a movie should be. Perfect in every way. JJ Abrams knows what the people want, gotta hand it to him.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #3258
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Lions for Lambs (6 / 10): Pretty well-written and extremely well-acted, with Robert Redford as his usual brilliant self. There are some really good interchanges between some of the characters, especially the young republican senator (Tom Cruise) and the journalist that is interviewing him (Meryl Streep). Unfortunately the movie gets "preachy" towards the end, and deliberately bends the audience towards a certain point of view, rather than letting us draw our own conclusions. Probably would have warranted an 8/10 if it weren't for that (it's one of my movie pet-peeves).

Wanted (7.5 / 10): Visually stunning (and I'm not just talking about Angelina Jolie) but with some plot holes you could drive Bernie Mac through. I'm all about suspension of disbelief during movies, no problem there, but when plot devices require otherwise reasonable characters to be downright stupid, I have problems. Still, if you're able to check your brain at the door, this one can be a pretty fun ride.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #3259
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Lions for Lambs (6 / 10): Pretty well-written and extremely well-acted, with Robert Redford as his usual brilliant self. There are some really good interchanges between some of the characters, especially the young republican senator (Tom Cruise) and the journalist that is interviewing him (Meryl Streep). Unfortunately the movie gets "preachy" towards the end, and deliberately bends the audience towards a certain point of view, rather than letting us draw our own conclusions. Probably would have warranted an 8/10 if it weren't for that (it's one of my movie pet-peeves).

Wanted (7.5 / 10): Visually stunning (and I'm not just talking about Angelina Jolie) but with some plot holes you could drive Bernie Mac through. I'm all about suspension of disbelief during movies, no problem there, but when plot devices require otherwise reasonable characters to be downright stupid, I have problems. Still, if you're able to check your brain at the door, this one can be a pretty fun ride.

Coffin sized?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #3260
RainMaker
General Manager

Frost/Nixon (7.5 out of 10) - I know this is a critically acclaimed film that I should have liked more. But for some reason I just felt that there were too many boring points and that they left out some important stuff. I'd have much rather seen more emphasis put on the research they uncovered before the 4th interview. Instead it just gets a couple short scenes of him digging through papers. Just seems like there wasn't enough buildup to that the payoff was cheapened.

Other than that, it was really interesting. The portrayal of both Nixon and Frost is near perfect. A really good movie but not great in my book. For some reason, that appears to be what Ron Howard is good at. Never quite has the oomph to make a movie great.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #3261
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Land of the Lost makes me think there's a need for someone like me (and/or anybody else with a shred of common sense and even the slightest connection to reality) in Hollywood. Just give me an office in the corner of a never-used building, and come see me right after the 'greenlight' stage, but before they begin filming.

MOVIE EXEC: "Hey, we've got it, what do you think about $200 million to remake Land of the Lost, with Will Ferrell!"
ME: "What? Are you fucking retarded?"
I don't get Hollywood. Land of the Lost wasn't even a good TV show. Would be like producers green lighting a remake of According to Jim for hundreds of millions in 20 years.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #3262
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't get Hollywood. Land of the Lost wasn't even a good TV show. Would be like producers green lighting a remake of According to Jim for hundreds of millions in 20 years.

Land of the Lost isn't a goot TV show NOW, but it was pretty cool for kids at the time. Those kids are now adults now, so they were banking on the nostalgia factor. As a serious movie, the setting has potential for those adults. By adding in Will Farrel, they tried to get the kids/young adults as well as the adults. Looks like they got neither.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #3263
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Land of the Lost isn't a goot TV show NOW, but it was pretty cool for kids at the time. Those kids are now adults now, so they were banking on the nostalgia factor. As a serious movie, the setting has potential for those adults. By adding in Will Farrel, they tried to get the kids/young adults as well as the adults. Looks like they got neither.

I think they were banking a little too hard on the nostalgia factor. I watched the show plenty when I was younger. I loved dinosaurs and all of that stuff, so I liked that show. That said, I have no great nostalgia for that show. It wasn't a huge part of my childhood ot anything.

I think a similar mistake was made with Speed Racer. I don't think there was anywhere near the nostalgia for that show that folks thought there was.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #3264
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think they were banking a little too hard on the nostalgia factor. I watched the show plenty when I was younger. I loved dinosaurs and all of that stuff, so I liked that show. That said, I have no great nostalgia for that show. It wasn't a huge part of my childhood ot anything.

I think a similar mistake was made with Speed Racer. I don't think there was anywhere near the nostalgia for that show that folks thought there was.

That is possible. I had great nostalgia for the show, but was totally turned off to see that it was a comedy with WF. I remember the old show being much more serious (if you remove the UIC of a low-budget production). Taking that away was a big mistake in my mind.

I will also agree that Hollywood probably overestimates nostalgia quite a bit. It is a typical Hollywood executive pattern though. Something like the Pirates of the Caribbean or Transformers takes off and Hollywood falls over itself getting the right to anything that might have nostalgia value. They never seem to notice that nostalgia doesn't help a crappy movie (unless it is Transformers). Same thing happened with the great run of super hero movies a few years ago. Batman and Spider Man do well, bring on Daredevil and Elektra and multiple Punisher movies, etc.

The sad thing is that Hollywood probably knows that most of the movies in the second and third waves of the same theme will do much worse than the first, but they figure there are at least a few waves available where people's expectations suck them into a bad movie and the movie makes money. By the time they hit the wave that loses money, they know to stop and look for a new "magic theme".

Sorry, rant over.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #3265
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I loved it more in my teens than in my childhood (although I watched it), because I found out that Bill Laimbeer played a Sleestak.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #3266
Swaggs
Coordinator

Year One (6.5/10) -- This one was just slightly above average for me -- I wasn't unhappy that I saw it in a theatre, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. A fair amount of solid laughs and a handful of out-and-out gross out laughs. I thought Jack Black started out a little bit weak, but got better in the second 2/3rds of the movie. Michael Cera has pretty much proven (to me, at least) that he is Bleeker in every movie (this is now Juno, Superbad, Nick and Norah, and Year One) that I have seen him in -- not a bad thing, as I like that character, but it makes me think that his "youthful brilliance" may have been overstated. I also thought that David Cross (who I usually find pretty funny) didn't quite have the chops to carry the role he was given in the movie and it made the movie suffer some, overall. Anyway, all and all, a pretty solid comedy that seemed a little shy of the sum of its parts.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #3267
rowech
Pro Starter

Pineapple Express (3/10) -- Terrible with a couple of good laughs.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #3268
RainMaker
General Manager

Taken (4 out of 10) - This movie is right up my alley and I'm really not picky. But this movie just didn't entertain me at all. Predictable beyond belief and ridiculous storylines. Just couldn't take the movie even remotely serious. The only plus side would be some decent action sequences and a couple really good Liam Neeson scenes (although one you see in the trailer). It also took way too long before she got kidnapped and the buildup to that was just a lot of fluff and crap. Way overdone.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-22-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #3269
kingfc22
Head Coach

There Will be Blood (5/10) - Struggled to hold my attention. Was definitely expecting more from the story.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #3270
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
There Will be Blood (5/10) - Struggled to hold my attention. Was definitely expecting more from the story.

There's a boatload more than just the storyline from the movie.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #3271
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! !!!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #3272
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I always liked this movie but have always felt it wasn't quite the movie folks think it is. If you want the best Hitchcock movie, pick up "North by Northwest"

Finally saw it

North by Northwest - 9.5/10

This and Vertigo are my favorite Hitchcock movies so far.

Story about an advertising executive who gets mistaken for a govt. agent. Very intense at times and never felt bored watching it. Nice pacing throughout.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #3273
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Saints and Soldiers (4 / 10): I'm usually a sucker for World War II movies, but this one was never able to grab me. I didn't find any of the characters particularly appealing, and the plot and pacing itself didn't really build suspense. Overall a very "meh" experience.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 06-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #3274
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Finally saw it

North by Northwest - 9.5/10

This and Vertigo are my favorite Hitchcock movies so far.

Story about an advertising executive who gets mistaken for a govt. agent. Very intense at times and never felt bored watching it. Nice pacing throughout.

Glad I finally got you to watch one you liked.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #3275
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Kickin It Old Skool - 5/10 - I have no real reason for watching this other than it was Midnight and there was nothing on. Couple humorous moments, but other than that.. umm.. ya.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #3276
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Glad I finally got you to watch one you liked.

Yeah, thanks for the recommendation. Got any more?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #3277
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Postman (4/10) - This is the other post-apocalyptic Kevin Costner movie. The one that's not set on the water.

I saw this movie many years ago and, for some unknown reason, I started watching it on Thursday night and couldn't stop until it was over. It's probably because I love movies in post apocalyptic settings and the movie is sort of like watching a train wreck in many ways.

It's incredibly long and bloated. Everything is done over the top. The villian (the guy who was the assistant coach in "Remember The Titans") is over the top. In fact, there's really no explanation as to why the guy wasn't assassinated. It wasn't like he was even that charismatic. He was just vicious and insane. There are numerous scenes that are way over played in an effort to get some emotional reaction out of the audience. (All they do is make you groan and roll your eyes.) The melodrama is incredibly thick and you are bludgeoned by it almost every other scene.

There is also a miracle birth. The love interest in the movie gets knocked up relatively early into the film, never appears to be pregnant, and then, all of a sudden, has a baby, despite the fact it appears as if many more than 9 months pass between the two events.

The sad part is that somewhere, deep, deep, (oh so very deep) inside, there's actually a really good, interesting movie.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #3278
Schmidty
Coordinator

Hancock - 4.5/10 - Nice idea totally botched once I found out "the secret" of what Smith was. Plus the ending was weak.

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-22-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #3279
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think I remember you didn't like The Philadelphia Story but did you ever end up watching Arsenic and Old Lace?

What about Casablanca?

Maybe the movie Suspicion....another Grant/Hitchcock pairing.

Since
Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #3280
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think I remember you didn't like The Philadelphia Story but did you ever end up watching Arsenic and Old Lace?

What about Casablanca?

Since the 4th is coming up....Yankee Doodle Dandy...it's a little over the top but still one of my favorites.

Last edited by rowech : 06-22-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #3281
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! !!!

"There Will Be Blood" is one of my favorite movies of the last decade.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #3282
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:

What about Casablanca?

Since the 4th is coming up....Yankee Doodle Dandy...it's a little over the top but still one of my favorites.

Philadelphia Story is one of my favorite movies, but Arsenic and Old Lace didn't do much for me. It was funny but not nearly as funny as I thought it'd be.

I might have to watch Casablanca again, I remember liking it but not necessarily putting it top 10.

Haven't seen Suspicion or Yankee Doodle Dandy, puttin' that on my Q, thanks rowech!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #3283
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Philadelphia Story is one of my favorite movies, but Arsenic and Old Lace didn't do much for me. It was funny but not nearly as funny as I thought it'd be.

I might have to watch Casablanca again, I remember liking it but not necessarily putting it top 10.

Haven't seen Suspicion or Yankee Doodle Dandy, puttin' that on my Q, thanks rowech!

Citizen Kane? Not my favorite movie but obviously monumental in movie making.

I personally think Casablanca is the greatest movie ever made.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #3284
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Citizen Kane? Not my favorite movie but obviously monumental in movie making.

I personally think Casablanca is the greatest movie ever made.

Yeah, saw it too. I remember liking the movie more after the commentary, apparently it was a movie ahead of it's time.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #3285
thesloppy
Pro Starter

'Touch of Evil' is 80 million times more awesome than 'Citizen Kane', for my money.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #3286
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:

Sorry for the delayed response, but: Are you guys serious?

I'm watching a PG movie with my 11 year old daughter and then a scene comes on wherein the female lead gets naked and jumps in the pool with dialogue and subtext that pretty much says: "Honey, come on in the pool so I can fuck you for your final birthday present." That's PG now?!

Old 06-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #3287
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You don't see her naked. Insinuating that sex may happen doesn't magically make a movie PG-13.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #3288
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Sorry for the delayed response, but: Are you guys serious?

I'm watching a PG movie with my 11 year old daughter and then a scene comes on wherein the female lead gets naked and jumps in the pool with dialogue and subtext that pretty much says: "Honey, come on in the pool so I can fuck you for your final birthday present." That's PG now?!

I'm 100% serious. God forbid you had to explain the birds and bees to your 11 year old daughter...
Old 06-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #3289
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm 100% serious. God forbid you had to explain the birds and bees to your 11 year old daughter...

Why should he have to be forced to when he's going to a PG movie that advertised it self as a funny family movie?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #3290
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Two words...

Sixteen Candles.

BOING!
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #3291
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Why should he have to be forced to when he's going to a PG movie that advertised it self as a funny family movie?

Yeah, something like that should be on your terms, not forced by watching a movie you reasonably expected to be devoid of that kind of stuff, insinuated or not. I would not expect a PG movie to have such a direct reference/suggestion of sex. But then again...I haven't seen a movie in quite some time, as I mentioned earlier. It's not surprising standards have changed over time, I guess.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #3292
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It seems a bit silly to complain that that is out of line in a PG movie. I guess if you haven't seen a movie since the 80s.... who knows?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #3293
boberot
High School Varsity

We've explained the birds and the bees to her. Thanks for the parenting tip.

Why put such a scene into a damn PG movie? Completely unnecessary. Just creates a very awkward few moments while adding nothing to the movie.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #3294
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Do you know what PG stands for? "Parental Guidance". As in, you may need to be a parent and explain some stuff to your kids, that's why you're there.

Go see a G movie if you want zero traces of anything risque.

Last edited by Fidatelo : 06-25-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #3295
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean wasn't there a scene in "The Incredibles" where the wife drags the husband into the bedroom by the tie... did you feel uncomfortable there?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #3296
DanGarion
Coordinator

If you are this concerned over the content I suggest checking to see what types of themes and content are in the movie before you see it. Nothing in that movie is any worse then what can be seen on TV during prime time.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #3297
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I mean wasn't there a scene in "The Incredibles" where the wife drags the husband into the bedroom by the tie... did you feel uncomfortable there?

No those are cartoons, they are like Barbie and Ken dolls.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #3298
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Sex is so awful! Let's just stick to cartoon violence!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #3299
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Sex is so awful! Let's just stick to cartoon violence!

Ah yes, us Americans love us some violence! I've much rather watch sex then violence any day.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #3300
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Jaws, Gremlins, and Poltergeist were all PG.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-25-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote