Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #3251
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The staff was unhappy with his attitude and work ethic before conference play even started and it was the worst kept secret in Columbia. We had literally no inside depth at the end of the year due to injuries, but Stone never left the bench because his attitude sucked. It was a clear demonstration to the rest of the players by Anderson that kind of attitude wouldn't fly if you wanted to see the floor. In addition, Paul had mentioned to the staff long before the end of the season that he may consider transferring. Just because the transfers aren't announced before the end of the season doesn't mean that they didn't decide until then. The dominoes were in place long before that point. It's accurate whether you choose to believe it or not.

Are you suggesting Underwood has attitude issues as well? He's a young big who didn't get minutes, but kept his scholarship. I'm sorry, but you're the only person I've seen ever mention Stone's supposed attitude issues. If he did have an attitude issue then Anderson should have cut ties with him well before the end of the season. Instead he waited until he needed a scholarship to give. Again, the simple fact is Anderson recruited over the guy. There's nothing wrong with that and as I've said many times before it's no different than many other D1 coaches.

The thing I find funny is that you commend Anderson for not throwing Stone under the bus, but you're quick to throw Stone under it. So in order to make Anderson look good you make yourself look bad. Way to take one for the team, lol.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #3252
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Are you suggesting Underwood has attitude issues as well? He's a young big who didn't get minutes, but kept his scholarship. I'm sorry, but you're the only person I've seen ever mention Stone's supposed attitude issues. If he did have an attitude issue then Anderson should have cut ties with him well before the end of the season. Instead he waited until he needed a scholarship to give. Again, the simple fact is Anderson recruited over the guy. There's nothing wrong with that and as I've said many times before it's no different than many other D1 coaches.

The thing I find funny is that you commend Anderson for not throwing Stone under the bus, but you're quick to throw Stone under it. So in order to make Anderson look good you make yourself look bad. Way to take one for the team, lol.

1. Stone is a better basketball player than Underwood. It's a relative comment because I'm not sure either is good enough. But this wasn't talent based.

2. I can throw anyone under the bus because I'm not a coach. I don't have to say the PC thing. My comments have no relevance to Anderson's actions. The guy didn't pull his weight and was asked to move on. This shouldn't be all that shocking to college basketball fans. I'm sure you're equally as outraged that an underclassman was asked to transfer from SEMO to make room for Tyler Stone. C'mon, this isn't rocket science. This is the NCAA whether you like how it works or not. Nothing is guaranteed in an academic or athletic scholarship. You have to earn it to keep it each and every year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #3253
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
1. Stone is a better basketball player than Underwood. It's a relative comment because I'm not sure either is good enough. But this wasn't talent based.

2. I can throw anyone under the bus because I'm not a coach. I don't have to say the PC thing. My comments have no relevance to Anderson's actions. The guy didn't pull his weight and was asked to move on. This shouldn't be all that shocking to college basketball fans. I'm sure you're equally as outraged that an underclassman was asked to transfer from SEMO to make room for Tyler Stone. C'mon, this isn't rocket science. This is the NCAA whether you like how it works or not. Nothing is guaranteed in an academic or athletic scholarship. You have to earn it to keep it each and every year.

Stone is transferring to Southeast Missouri State (3-15 in the Ohio Valley Conference). He couldn't have been that good.

So long as you're not the coach you don't have to show any class whatsoever? Just because you're not the guy's coach doesn't mean you should be a complete tool. Again, you're pretty much starting a rumo

No, I'm not outraged by the player getting his scholarship pulled. I think I made that pretty clear in my original post that this is par for the course in college basketball. I'm just wondering why it took you three posts to finally agree that Stone's scholarship was pulled because he over-recruited which is exactly what I said in my first post? So why did it take you so long to accept it?

Remember, when you originally posted regarding Stone you said it was a mutual decision. Just a reminder how shaky your sources are. Per Stone's mother, it was not a mutual decision. I'm sorry, but I'll believe that source before I believe your not so accurate sources.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #3254
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I confess I'm not a close follower of Big-12 basketball, so this article caught me by surprise:

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/sto...legebasketball

I would think basketball would be an easier sport in which to impose a "death penalty" - I think it's easier to build back up a basketball program than a football program.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #3255
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I confess I'm not a close follower of Big-12 basketball, so this article caught me by surprise:

I would think basketball would be an easier sport in which to impose a "death penalty" - I think it's easier to build back up a basketball program than a football program.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I'm surprised Capel hasn't run for greener pastures already.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #3256
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Remember, when you originally posted regarding Stone you said it was a mutual decision. Just a reminder how shaky your sources are. Per Stone's mother, it was not a mutual decision. I'm sorry, but I'll believe that source before I believe your not so accurate sources.

They're very accurate. There's a lot that mom isn't revealing in her rants, but that's not surprising.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #3257
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Stone is transferring to Southeast Missouri State (3-15 in the Ohio Valley Conference). He couldn't have been that good.

So long as you're not the coach you don't have to show any class whatsoever? Just because you're not the guy's coach doesn't mean you should be a complete tool. Again, you're pretty much starting a rumo

No, I'm not outraged by the player getting his scholarship pulled. I think I made that pretty clear in my original post that this is par for the course in college basketball. I'm just wondering why it took you three posts to finally agree that Stone's scholarship was pulled because he over-recruited which is exactly what I said in my first post? So why did it take you so long to accept it?

To be totally fair, an angry mother might not be the best source either. Ill bet a lot of money the answer is somewhere in the middle, likely along the lines of you can stay but i dont see you playing at all, so its probably in your best interest to transfer...while its still a large hint, i bet that it was more likely something along those lines(especially since the other transfer, miguel paul, openly said coaches asked him to stay but he chose to leave for playing time)
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #3258
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

In the worst kept secret in college basketball, the Wear twins have now officially transferred to UCLA from UNC. Eligible in 2011-12.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #3259
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
In the worst kept secret in college basketball, the Wear twins have now officially transferred to UCLA from UNC. Eligible in 2011-12.

I wish them well, but I'm also very happy that I don't have to watch 6'10" guys who don't know how to play in the paint on my team anymore. Maybe they'll bulk up, maybe they'll learn, but the odds of me throwing things at my TV and breaking it go down noticeably with this move.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #3260
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I wish them well, but I'm also very happy that I don't have to watch 6'10" guys who don't know how to play in the paint on my team anymore. Maybe they'll bulk up, maybe they'll learn, but the odds of me throwing things at my TV and breaking it go down noticeably with this move.

There you go then. Works it for both of us. UCLA has enough guys who know how to play in the paint. We need guys who know what to do with the ball outside of the paint.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #3261
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
To be totally fair, an angry mother might not be the best source either. Ill bet a lot of money the answer is somewhere in the middle, likely along the lines of you can stay but i dont see you playing at all, so its probably in your best interest to transfer...while its still a large hint, i bet that it was more likely something along those lines(especially since the other transfer, miguel paul, openly said coaches asked him to stay but he chose to leave for playing time)

But you have to admit, that an anonymous source from the internet is the lesser of two sources right? And let's be honest, Stone's mother wouldn't be angry if her son chose to transfer. She may feel that her son wasn't used correctly or given enough playing time, but she didn't speak out until after he was pushed out.

As for Stone, no matter what way you slice it he was pushed out. I think we can all agree with that (except for MBBF's first few posts). And as I stated before all this it's not that big a deal, IMO. Mike Anderson didn't do anything that other D1 coaches haven't done. The only reason I even posted it on here was to show MBBF that his sources were once again wrong. Not a big surprise there. It's also funny to see MBBF attempt to defend Anderson in this thread when nobody in this thread is pointing the finger of blame at Anderson. Talk about being defensive.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #3262
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That's an awful article. The guy is asking for the death penalty, but agrees that right now there isn't enough evidence yet to support the recent allegations. I'm guessing it was a slow news day and he couldn't wait until the NCAA actually investigated OU.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #3263
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
But you have to admit, that an anonymous source from the internet is the lesser of two sources right? And let's be honest, Stone's mother wouldn't be angry if her son chose to transfer. She may feel that her son wasn't used correctly or given enough playing time, but she didn't speak out until after he was pushed out.

As for Stone, no matter what way you slice it he was pushed out. I think we can all agree with that (except for MBBF's first few posts). And as I stated before all this it's not that big a deal, IMO. Mike Anderson didn't do anything that other D1 coaches haven't done. The only reason I even posted it on here was to show MBBF that his sources were once again wrong. Not a big surprise there. It's also funny to see MBBF attempt to defend Anderson in this thread when nobody in this thread is pointing the finger of blame at Anderson. Talk about being defensive.
I would agree that she is a more informed source, but still a very biased source...and as for MBBF, i dont really want to comment on your little back and forth that seems to happen every day, you two just seemed destined to dance this dance forever
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #3264
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
I would agree that she is a more informed source, but still a very biased source...and as for MBBF, i dont really want to comment on your little back and forth that seems to happen every day, you two just seemed destined to dance this dance forever

She is biased, but there's a reason she's biased. Something happened to make her sour on Mike Anderson and Missouri. I'm more likely to believe it's regarding her son's transfer since that seems to be what she's upset about. I haven't seen the rest of her statement so I don't know if she's accused Anderson and staff of something else or not. I'm guessing she's just upset her son was forced to transfer.

Again, I don't think Mike Anderson did anything wrong. Scholarships are guaranteed for a year...that's it. I feel bad for Stone having to sit out a year, but that's on the NCAA...not Mike Anderson.

You're right about MBBF and me. I just can't help myself when it comes to him, lol.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #3265
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Two more players transfer out of ISU. Fred Hoiberg isn't going to have to push anyone out to make room for new players. They're all leaving on their own.

Iowa St forward Dendy to transfer
Old 05-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #3266
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More information about the KU ticket scandal coming to light. The Pump brothers, twins who are heavy power brokers in the college basketball world, were involved in the scheme. Reports out of Rivals indicate that the FBI investigation will now involve other schools in addition to Kansas, which shouldn't be a surprise given the span of influence that the Pump brothers hold.

Kansas ticket scandal - College Basketball - Rivals.com

Here's a previous article that details the Pumps and their dealings with college coaches and AD's just to give some background.

Rivals.com College Basketball - Pump brothers powerful pair in college hoops
Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #3267
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another preseason ranking for 2010.........

Early NCAA Top 16 | NBADraft.net

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-26-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #3268
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
More information about the KU ticket scandal coming to light. The Pump brothers, twins who are heavy power brokers in the college basketball world, were involved in the scheme. Reports out of Rivals indicate that the FBI investigation will now involve other schools in addition to Kansas, which shouldn't be a surprise given the span of influence that the Pump brothers hold.

Kansas ticket scandal - College Basketball - Rivals.com

Here's a previous article that details the Pumps and their dealings with college coaches and AD's just to give some background.

Rivals.com College Basketball - Pump brothers powerful pair in college hoops

I hope you noticed those dates MBBF. Remember when you suggested it was all Lew Perkins' fault? Those dates are before he stepped foot in Lawrence. This stuff has been going on a long time at KU.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #3269
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
This stuff has been going on a long time at KU.

We can agree on that.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #3270
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

To be clear, the Kansas basketball ticket scandal, while embarrassing to the University and certainly a source of contention for Jayhawks season ticket holders, has no connection to the basketball program itself from what I can tell. So I guess I fail to see why I as a fan of a different program would really give a rat's ass - the scandal doesn't appear to have been funding cheating by the basketball program, so it's had essentially no impact on my team.

So other than serving as a means for Mizzou and Kansas State fans to ridicule Kansas fans, in terms of looking at things from a basketball program perspective it's a non-issue.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #3271
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
We can agree on that.

So if you believe that then why put this all on Lew Perkins as you did when you originally brought this topic up?

The fact is there were checks in place to stop this, but sadly those people who were in charge of doing just that were co-conspirators. From what I have heard, basically the upper personnel in the ticket department re-categorized premium tickets to a status of complimentary and thus they were no longer on the books. Those "complimentary" tickets were then sold for a profit by the private individuals. I know KU has since then put in a new system, but the fact is a system is only as strong as the personnel in charge of enforcing it.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #3272
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
To be clear, the Kansas basketball ticket scandal, while embarrassing to the University and certainly a source of contention for Jayhawks season ticket holders, has no connection to the basketball program itself from what I can tell. So I guess I fail to see why I as a fan of a different program would really give a rat's ass - the scandal doesn't appear to have been funding cheating by the basketball program, so it's had essentially no impact on my team.

So other than serving as a means for Mizzou and Kansas State fans to ridicule Kansas fans, in terms of looking at things from a basketball program perspective it's a non-issue.

This issue is awful for KU. They are guessing they lost at least $1 million over the last five years and probably closer to $3 million since this thing started in the 90's. And the really sad thing is that most of the individuals involved were either associate athletic directors or assistant athletic directors of their respective departments. The very people in charge of making sure something like this doesn't happen were responsible for profiting off of it.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #3273
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
To be clear, the Kansas basketball ticket scandal, while embarrassing to the University and certainly a source of contention for Jayhawks season ticket holders, has no connection to the basketball program itself from what I can tell.

Bookmark this post. Before this investigation by the FBI (and the NCAA thereafter) is complete, I can 100% guarantee that it will be shown that portions of the profits from this ticket scandal were indirectly pushed to potential or current players and/or their family members by those boosters. Meanstrousity is absolutely right. This scandal goes back at least as far as the Travis Releford recruitment.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #3274
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Bookmark this post. Before this investigation by the FBI (and the NCAA thereafter) is complete, I can 100% guarantee that it will be shown that portions of the profits from this ticket scandal were indirectly pushed to potential or current players and/or their family members by those boosters. Meanstrousity is absolutely right. This scandal goes back at least as far as the Travis Releford recruitment.

OMG. You're such a drama queen. I love how you pick Travis Releford given that MU recruited him heavily. Let me guess, the only way KU could get Travis to not attend MU was to pay him right? After your Beal prediction you would think you'd give up on making these crazy accusations, but you still keep going.

Just to show how silly you are being. Travis Releford (HS Class of 2008) has been at KU for two years now. That mean's he's likely been recruited since his sophomore year in high school which is almost five years. So that would actually fall into the given time line. But I'm sure your sources have it figured out differently, lol.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #3275
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bookmark this post. Before this investigation by the FBI (and the NCAA thereafter) is complete, I can 100% guarantee that it will be shown that portions of the profits from this ticket scandal were indirectly pushed to potential or current players and/or their family members by those boosters.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #3276
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Pump Brothers don't seem to have an agenda as far as where their kids go, at least in the mold of WWWes
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #3277
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

What's funny is that the portion you bolded has nothing to do with who you are claiming was doing the "pushing" in your post.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #3278
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
What's funny is that the portion you bolded has nothing to do with who you are claiming was doing the "pushing" in your post.

I'm confident in what I posted. Anyone who assumes that the people in the basketball program have no knowledge of most back-end deals are very naive.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #3279
MrBug708
Head Coach

Arent you the guy who actually believes that Nolan Richardson would tell a Mizzou fan if Anderson would actually leave the program? And yet you think someone else is being naive?

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-26-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #3280
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm confident in what I posted. Anyone who assumes that the people in the basketball program have no knowledge of most back-end deals are very naive.
What reason is there to believe this is anything more than simply a way some people have figured out to make a lot of money, other than your own petty jealousy and hope to see a vastly superior basketball program taken down a notch?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #3281
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:

You're really not that naive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivals article

Roger Morningstar has coached some of those summer traveling teams, one of which included his son, Brady, who committed to Kansas in 2006. Since Jones, Freeman and Roger Morningstar allegedly engaged in scalping tickets through the Pump brothers in 2002, summer traveling teams financed by the Pump brothers have featured at least nine players who went on to play for the Jayhawks. Among them were nationally recruited players Mario Chalmers, David Padgett, Omar Wilkes, Tyrel Reed, Elijah Johnson, Jeff Withey, Travis Releford and Brady Morningstar.

Chalmers’ father, Ronnie, also coached the Pump brothers’ summer traveling team in Alaska, before being hired as the director of basketball operations at KU in 2005. He eventually resigned that position in 2008. And the sons of head coach Bill Self and assistant coach Danny Manning – Tyler Self and Evan Manning – are both currently listed on the rosters of the Pump brothers’ summer traveling teams. Coach Bill Self and Perkins have attended the Pumps’ annual retreat held for coaches and administrators.

I think the NCAA might be knocking on Allen Fieldhouse (again) very soon.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #3282
MrBug708
Head Coach

Again, the Pumps dont steer their players to any one particular school

Current UCLA players who have played for Pump N Run

Wear
Wear
Holiday (not current, but recent)
Anderson
Nelson
Honeycutt
Stover
Lamb

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-27-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 AM   #3283
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post

I think the NCAA might be knocking on Allen Fieldhouse (again) very soon.

You're reaching if you think this article is implying those named recruits attended KU because of the Pumps. Three of those recruits were long time KU fans since they are from the state of Kansas (Reed, Releford, and Morningstar whose father played for KU in the 70's). Two of those players transferred out after their freshman year (recruited by Roy Williams, but didn't fit Bill Self's playing style). And one of those players was a transfer from Arizona when Lute retired (Withey). If KU were paying the Pumps to bring them recruits then they are paying them either way too much or way too little, lol.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #3284
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
As Bug and the meanstrosity have shown, there's not a lot of reason to figure that this ticket scalping controversy has any real connection to cheating for the basketball program.

College basketball has a lot of problems, and if you look hard at any big-time program there's a decent chance you'll find some unsavory stuff - definitely more likely at some programs (*cough* Kentucky, Oklahoma *cough*) than others. But right now, the only evidence I see is that there were a group of people taking advantage of their connections to skim themselves a hefty extra dose of money via scalping.

It wouldn't shock me if it was discovered that boosters were cheating to get players to Kansas, but then again it wouldn't shock me at pretty much any big-time school. And maybe there is more to this story than just scalping. But I don't see any reason to assume so other than huge levels of cynicism and/or jealousy.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #3285
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
College basketball has a lot of problems, and if you look hard at any big-time program there's a decent chance you'll find some unsavory stuff - definitely more likely at some programs (*cough* Kentucky, Oklahoma *cough*) than others.

Funny you should mention that. OU has announced that they are cooperating with the FBI investigation of the KU scandal, as some of the same officials at KU may have been running a similar scheme during their time at OU.

Kansas ticket scandal touches OU | NewsOK.com
Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #3286
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
As Bug and the meanstrosity have shown, there's not a lot of reason to figure that this ticket scalping controversy has any real connection to cheating for the basketball program.

But I don't see any reason to assume so other than huge levels of cynicism and/or jealousy.

So just to clarify, a internal report has been released by KU before the FBI investigation is complete and the NCAA investigation has even started, and you're going to take the word of lawyers hired by KU that nothing is amiss other than a couple of people trying to make money?

Dismissing what I'm aware of personally, I think it's highly premature to stand in the middle of the green screaming "All is well!" after a KU internal investigation alone.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #3287
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. OU has announced that they are cooperating with the FBI investigation of the KU scandal, as some of the same officials at KU may have been running a similar scheme during their time at OU.

Kansas ticket scandal touches OU | NewsOK.com
Funny, none of those people have been implicated as having anything to do with the cheating scandals at Oklahoma.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #3288
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Funny, none of those people have been implicated as having anything to do with the cheating scandals at Oklahoma.

Correct. This is a totally separate problem at this point.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #3289
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So just to clarify, a internal report has been released by KU before the FBI investigation is complete and the NCAA investigation has even started, and you're going to take the word of lawyers hired by KU that nothing is amiss other than a couple of people trying to make money?
Yes. While nothing would surprise me in terms of shady business, it's still a significant leap from a known issue of people skimming a lot of money off ticket scalping to speculating that some of that money was then turned around to fund cheating on behalf of recruiting kids to Kansas basketball. Until there's some shred of legitimate reporting of wrong-doing on behalf of the Kansas basketball program that has some connection to those involved in this ticket scandal, I'll write this all of as wild fantasy on your part.

Quote:
Dismissing what I'm aware of personally, I think it's highly premature to stand in the middle of the green screaming "All is well!" after a KU internal investigation alone.
Personal knowledge eh? I love the interwebs...
Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #3290
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Personal knowledge eh? I love the interwebs...

Travis Relaford is an obvious example of the money flow and where it went. The college coaches would openly joke about him at AAU tourneys when they were there to scout players. The running joke was that Travis Relaford wasn't sure he wanted to play at KU, but that his mother couldn't afford the pay cut if he went elsewhere.

The issue is that this will likely drag on for months or even a couple of years as the FBI and NCAA sort through the cash and where it all landed. So we won't see anything firm for some time to come.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #3291
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Travis Relaford is an obvious example of the money flow and where it went. The college coaches would openly joke about him at AAU tourneys when they were there to scout players. The running joke was that Travis Relaford wasn't sure he wanted to play at KU, but that his mother couldn't afford the pay cut if he went elsewhere.
What, because Relaford played on summer teams financed by the Pump brothers it must mean that they paid him to attend Kansas? What about all the national recruits that played on Pump teams that didn't attend Kansas?

You're going to have to establish a more concrete connection than that one. Is it a possible theory? Sure. But hardly "obvious".

The "obvious" thing here is that there were people exploiting a major loophole in the Kansas basketball ticket system to enrich themselves.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #3292
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The issue is that this will likely drag on for months or even a couple of years as the FBI and NCAA sort through the cash and where it all landed. So we won't see anything firm for some time to come.

And what college coaches did you hear joking about that? Seriously? Releford was a long time KU fan even before he became a highly rated recruit. The funny thing is that if KU paid Releford then you know Missouri had to pay him to stay in his top 5. So what's the dirt on Mike Anderson since you seem to have such great sources?
Old 05-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #3293
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And what college coaches did you hear joking about that? Seriously?

It was a group of coaches in the stands at one of the AAU events here in the KC area. The main participants in the conversation were Billy Gillispie and Kelvin Sampson, though there were others listening in. Yes, the irony runs thick in hindsight.

Quote:
What, because Relaford played on summer teams financed by the Pump brothers it must mean that they paid him to attend Kansas?

Nowhere did I say that the Pump brothers were the ones making the payments to Relaford.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-28-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #3294
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It was a group of coaches in the stands at one of the AAU events here in the KC area. The main participants in the conversation were Billy Gillispie and Kelvin Sampson, though there were others listening in. Yes, the irony runs thick in hindsight.

So how much money did Mike Anderson give to Releford? After all, Missouri was in his top 5. So if they wanted to be in the recruiting race with Kansas then they had to have ponied up. Any idea how much Pressey and Mitchell are getting from Anderson? A 4 and a 5 star player going to Missouri had to cost quite a bit more than a bench player going to KU.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #3295
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So how much money did Mike Anderson give to Releford? After all, Missouri was in his top 5. So if they wanted to be in the recruiting race with Kansas then they had to have ponied up. Any idea how much Pressey and Mitchell are getting from Anderson? A 4 and a 5 star player going to Missouri had to cost quite a bit more than a bench player going to KU.

Mizzou didn't offer anything to Relaford. Obviously, that would have evidently helped in hindsight.

Pressey's recruitment was all about family connections (Anderson was college roommates with Pressey's father). Once Anderson landed Pressey, it was like having a secondary recruiter on site to land Mitchell. It should be noted also that Mitchell's mom was dead-set on having her son play for an African-American coach. If someone wasn't aware of that, the final three of Georgetown, Missouri, and North Texas would have given that away.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #3296
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Mizzou didn't offer anything to Relaford. Obviously, that would have evidently helped in hindsight.

Pressey's recruitment was all about family connections (Anderson was college roommates with Pressey's father). Once Anderson landed Pressey, it was like having a secondary recruiter on site to land Mitchell. It should be noted also that Mitchell's mom was dead-set on having her son play for an African-American coach. If someone wasn't aware of that, the final three of Georgetown, Missouri, and North Texas would have given that away.

So a struggling program like Missouri was able to stay in Releford's top five while a top 10 program like Kansas had to sway him with money? That makes so much sense!

So then how much did it cost to get Pressey and Mitchell? You never said. Did Mitchell have to give KSU their money back when he backed off on his original verbal to the Wildcats?

What I love about you MBBF is that you have all these reasons why Mitchell chose Missouri (friends with Pressey, mom wanted his son to play for a black coach, etc) and yet those same arguments could be made for Releford at Kansas (friends with Reed, mom wanted him to play close to home, etc) yet you throw out the KU paid him argument instead. Do you not see how much of a Missouri homer saying stuff like that makes you look?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #3297
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
What I love about you MBBF is that you have all these reasons why Mitchell chose Missouri (friends with Pressey, mom wanted his son to play for a black coach, etc) and yet those same arguments could be made for Releford at Kansas (friends with Reed, mom wanted him to play close to home, etc) yet you throw out the KU paid him argument instead. Do you not see how much of a Missouri homer saying stuff like that makes you look?

1. Don't be foolish. Mizzou has had its share of that kind of junk in the past (see Detroit connection). We're not immune from it given past situations, but we we're not in the top 10 all-time for program probations either.

2. No question that Releford had other reasons (though I did find your 'mom wanted him to play close to home' comment amusing given what I've stated). He didn't solely go there due to money.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #3298
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

NCAA cites Calhoun for 8 recruiting violations........

UConn Huskies report NCAA finds eight violations in men's basketball program - ESPN
Old 05-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #3299
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
1. Don't be foolish. Mizzou has had its share of that kind of junk in the past (see Detroit connection). We're not immune from it given past situations, but we we're not in the top 10 all-time for program probations either.

2. No question that Releford had other reasons (though I did find your 'mom wanted him to play close to home' comment amusing given what I've stated). He didn't solely go there due to money.

But you're saying that it no longer happens at Missouri now right? That Mike Anderson is above that right? Yet here he is with a struggling Missouri program and he's one of the top 5 teams on a player whom you are suggesting is getting paid during his recruitment? Just think this out with me. If a school with the tradition of Kansas has to pay to recruit Releford then how does a school like Missouri get in Releford's top five without paying him? You see what I'm getting at right? If KU paid to get in his top five then you can guarantee that MU paid him as well.

So how much is MU paying Pressey and Mitchell?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #3300
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yet here he is with a struggling Missouri program.....

I'd call Mizzou many things, but a 'struggling program' isn't one of them.

Just let it play out. I'm sure I'll be wrong and you won't have anything to worry about..........