Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #3351
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

How big a deal is this whole play on XBOX and PC thing going to be? Does this mean the future is bi-annual upgraded consoles, sorry you can't play the new NBA2K because you need a min of XBOX 1.4 to play?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:04 AM   #3352
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Getting caught up on today's E3 (after a 12 hour internet outtage that wreaked havoc on my day).

I'm an XBox guy but I have to say the Sony presentation pretty much blew away anything & everything I saw from everyone else. I'm not sure the games are actually better for me, but their presentation skills - especially the focus on actual game play - made their stuff look head & shoulders ahead of everything else to me.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:26 AM   #3353
Groundhog
Coordinator

I got a chance to play with an Oculus dev kit over the weekend. I'm not taking the plunge this generation of VR, but even just playing around with a half dozen of the free tech demos I was way more impressed than I thought I'd be. One demo was an educational tour through the human blood stream which was very Fantastic Voyage-esque. I was real impressed, and I can picture these in schools within the next 5 or so years.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #3354
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Getting caught up on today's E3 (after a 12 hour internet outtage that wreaked havoc on my day).

I'm an XBox guy but I have to say the Sony presentation pretty much blew away anything & everything I saw from everyone else. I'm not sure the games are actually better for me, but their presentation skills - especially the focus on actual game play - made their stuff look head & shoulders ahead of everything else to me.

They just kept the games coming and kept the 'awkward developer talking on stage' to a minimum.

Also, having the full orchestra doing the music for all the trailers was awesome. Really made it seem polished.

My one comment would be that the games that were shown and that have come out recently all have a similar feel (and I think that's the reason you mention that the games aren't necessarily for you). Lots of open world games, fighting bad guys, and interacting with NPC's or objects. It felt similar in a lot of cases.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #3355
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
My one comment would be that the games that were shown and that have come out recently all have a similar feel (and I think that's the reason you mention that the games aren't necessarily for you). Lots of open world games, fighting bad guys, and interacting with NPC's or objects. It felt similar in a lot of cases.

I'm actually largely good with that in some respects I think. I mean, I've got over 300 hours into Fallout 4 already and no sign of that ending or even slowing down much frankly.

But how many Fallout 4's do I need / can I play? I got mine already.

And of everything else I've seen this week so far, I know -- deep down, being honest with myself -- that the one I'd be more likely to spend significant time with is ... Battlefield 1.

Maybe. If it isn't screwed up in the various ways the predecessors have been. (Lord knows, that seems like a long shot)

It's something I could grind, fairly mindlessly, for a prolonged period. And that's a category that's open for me at the moment.

So while I think there were plenty of other games that were prettier, more inventive, even just simply "better games" ... I know myself well enough to know that I'd likely play more BF1 than all of the others combined.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #3356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Is there a more easily mocked presentation than Ubisoft this year?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #3357
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
They just kept the games coming and kept the 'awkward developer talking on stage' to a minimum.

Also, having the full orchestra doing the music for all the trailers was awesome. Really made it seem polished.

I think Sony dominated this E3 for sure.

I'll agree that the open-world shooter is the most over-played game being made right now. I don't think any AAA game falls outside this category anymore. Especially coming from Ubisoft, they almost have a formula game where the characters change but the games are nearly identical.

I hope that this is the year where Battlefield beats Call of Duty. Certainly the sci-fi space shooter does NOT feel like a COD game, and going back to WWI seems like it's the right time for that franchise.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #3358
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I'll agree that the open-world shooter is the most over-played game being made right now. I don't think any AAA game falls outside this category anymore. Especially coming from Ubisoft, they almost have a formula game where the characters change but the games are nearly identical.

I felt Sony was that way. Days Gone, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4........they all feel like they're games that they came from the same engine with new themes, characters, etc. They look fantastic, but it feels the same too.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #3359
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Interesting comments from Andrew House. I'm sure that MS really wanted to announce Scorpio just to try and reassure Xbox fans that it was coming, but it's a real killjoy that it's not until Fall 2017, especially since Sony is likely to announce PS4 Neo soon and release it this holiday season.

PlayStation boss happy to let gamers wait for a glimpse of the PS4 Neo | Technology | The Guardian
Old 06-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #3360
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

double dola

Is MS really going to screw up another release?

Quote:
Shannon Loftis on Monday: There might be exclusive games for Scorpio. It's up to developers.

1 day later
Phil Spencer: There won't be exclusive Scorpio games.

How the hell can they not get their simple messaging straight AGAIN when announcing a console release?
Old 06-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #3361
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Long Phil Spencer interview.

Why Scorpio and Xbox One S sales don't actually matter | GamesIndustry.biz
Old 06-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #3362
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I have to say the poker player in me is pretty impressed that someone else noticed the fluttering eyes when he made this statement.

Microsoft's mixed messages at E3 aren't pretty for Xbox One owners • Eurogamer.net

Quote:
During the video for Project Scorpio, two minutes of puffery dedicated to Microsoft's bright Christmas 2017, there is a man who speaks with his mouth but betrays everything with his eyes. "This doesn't mean we're leaving the Xbox One behind," he says, but the truth is there to see as his eyes flick away from the camera.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #3363
spleen1015
Coordinator

The bead of sweat rolling down his forehead was the dead giveaway for me.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #3364
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

And on the Neo side......

Sony's PS4 Neo Launch Plans Fail to Impress, Stock Down - NASDAQ.com
Old 06-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #3365
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Anyone gotta Kleenex, there is Sony fanboy spooge all over this thread and I just felt like I walked into a Sony Glory Hole cafe...
Old 06-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #3366
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Anyone gotta Kleenex, there is Sony fanboy spooge all over this thread and I just felt like I walked into a Sony Glory Hole cafe...

The irony that you post that immediately after a post saying that Sony's new console didn't impress is particularly amusing.

Feel free to detail what you found particularly impressive on either side of E3. It certainly would beat posts where you talk about 'spooge' and 'glory hole'. Otherwise, feel free to start a new thread where you can discuss those topics outside of the console thread.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-17-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #3367
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Honestly it's the Sony fanboy who's posting ANYTHING really. I personally am underwhelmed by E3. The announcements that grabbed me most was the Zelda trailer and the Dragon Quest 7 release date.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #3368
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:

To be fair, Sony killed it at E3. The presentation was an example for future E3's, they didn't beat anyone over the head with their new hardware, they showed they get it. Show us the games, its what we want to see. No bullshit, no jibber jabber, just bam, bam, bam, and all the games looked great. Maybe somewhat similar, but all of them had me interested - I would probably just play the one or two that have the game mechanics closest to my desired play style.

It was the exact opposite of the way EA showed they have no idea what they're doing. EA has this corporate money grab stench on them, Microsoft has something similar but to a lesser extent (they just seem kind of confused as to how to approach things anymore) and Sony just stepped up and delivered a message about what matters to them. Producing great games.

I am slightly upset with myself for going with a XBox One over a PS4, especially when it was beginning to become apparent that Microsoft had very little to offer in the way of exclusives that I actually want to play. I will probably be adopting the new PS4 when it arrives now because I feel like the effort Sony is making is more in tune with what gamers want than what MS is doing. You can see it in the way they pulled off the best e3 presentation in history. I didn't feel as though I was being sold something by Sony, and now I want to buy their product more than ever.

I wouldn't call this fanboy behavior either, it was obvious who did things right this week.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #3369
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I am slightly upset with myself for going with a XBox One over a PS4

I should have been Microsoft's target buyer for an Xbox One. Had an Xbox 360 and well over 100 games for it. I'd been an Xbox Live subscriber continually since the service launched.

They bungled the rollout so badly it was two years after I got a PS4 before I got an Xbox One, and I got the One predominantly so that I could play Rock Band 4 without having to buy an all new band kit and repurchase my DLC on PS4. I'm no longer subscribed to Xbox Live Gold, but I am a PS+ subscriber.

All of that despite MBBF's best efforts.

That's how significantly Microsoft poisoned the well for me two years ago.

I'm not sure this "let's push consoles onto the PC upgrade treadmill and try to link console and PC gaming" initiative is going to win back any goodwill from me, tbh. I'm a console gamer BECAUSE about all I enjoy playing on PC are FOF-style sports sims and Civ.

And Marvel Puzzle Quest.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #3370
RainMaker
General Manager

https://theringer.com/intervention-s...edb#.l8i0gt8xd
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #3371
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I don't think the new consoles will sell all that well, to be honest. Unless there is a trade in deal offered, I don't see a ton of people caring enough about VR and 4k enough to pay another grand out in order to keep enjoying this console generation at the highest level..

What I could see is a subscription model. The next gen could be created to be easily upgraded. Pay like 30 a month for the console and any upgrades that are made for it, get free online multiplayer for as long as you're subscribed. If you feel like unsubscribing you can, but you risk losing compatibility with future games. Maybe tie in bundles with the subscription, like streaming TV/movies/music..

That's the only way I would ever support constant revisions of my console. Otherwise, this blending of PC/console is not a good thing.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-17-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #3372
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm not sure this "let's push consoles onto the PC upgrade treadmill and try to link console and PC gaming" initiative is going to win back any goodwill from me, tbh. I'm a console gamer BECAUSE about all I enjoy playing on PC are FOF-style sports sims and Civ.

This. VERY much this.

And then some.

All this will do honestly do for me is eventually end my console gaming period. I'm not going over to PS, I'm too old for a new controller honestly. I'll just do timewasters/grinders on mobile (already a significant chunk of my gaming time) and stick with the old stuff that has playability, on both existing console & PC.

I'll be 50 next spring for crying out loud, it feels downright stupid for me to even think about dealing with new shit constantly anyway.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #3373
RainMaker
General Manager

For what it's worth Jon, the PS controller is very similar to the XBox controller. It was one of my concerns too when I went with a PS4 but I was surprised at how similar they are now.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #3374
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't get why consoles want to be PCs. Because if you're going to go the upgrade route every couple years, you're better off just buying a PC where it's overall cheaper not only for the hardware but for games. Plus with everything backward compatible it's not like you lose your games in a few years.

I get the feeling this is a desperate move by the console industry and maybe they are realizing that they are dying and are just trying to squeeze whatever they can out of the industry.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #3375
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I'll be 50 next spring for crying out loud, it feels downright stupid for me to even think about dealing with new shit constantly anyway.

Soon it will be time for Jello and naps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For what it's worth Jon, the PS controller is very similar to the XBox controller. It was one of my concerns too when I went with a PS4 but I was surprised at how similar they are now.

I never had a PS1, but I've had every PlayStation console since. The DualShock 4 is the most comfortable remote Sony has made, IMO, and the only fundamental difference between the DS4 and the Xbox One controller at this point is the staggering of the twin sticks.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #3376
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I still prefer the Xbox controller, but the PS4 controller is the first one Sony has ever made that I could call comfortable.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #3377
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Soon it will be time for Jello and naps.

Sportsdigs had that at least five years ago.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #3378
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As for the controller thing, maybe they really are quite similar any more ... but at the same time I already don't go back to games that I'd honestly like to play because I struggle to re-learn the control configuration as it is. Throwing a different controller into the mix is just more daunting that I'm up for, even if it's just a psychological block more than a physical one.

I'm old, my brain ain't what it once was, my hands damned sure ain't what they used to be. I admit that freely & it's just a fact of my gaming life anymore.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-17-2016 at 08:35 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #3379
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm old, my brain ain't what it once was

you're killing me smalls
Old 06-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #3380
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
you're killing me smalls

Let it go.

That was simply TOO easy an opening for there to be any honor in walking through it.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #3381
Mota
College Benchwarmer

The major thing about the Sony conference which you don't realize until you look back at it, is that almost all of those games are 2017 and beyond. Very few of the games are coming out this year.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #3382
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Very observant Mota!
Old 06-18-2016, 01:52 AM   #3383
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Let it go.

That was simply TOO easy an opening for there to be any honor in walking through it.

walking THROUGH it? what, do YOU make a habit of stepping in horse apples when you see them?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #3384
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Too many of the sports games are getting feature heavy. Expansion in 2K, relocation in NHL, formation subs in Madden. Feels like new consoles must be on the horizon or else the developers won't have anything "new" to add to the games. :P
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:29 AM   #3385
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More confirmation of last month's rumor that Nintendo NX will be cartridge-based.

Report: Nintendo NX will use cartridges, not discs | Polygon
Old 09-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #3386
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tear-down video of the new PS4 Slim....

Looks Like The Unannounced PS4 Slim Already Has A Teardown
Old 09-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #3387
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Not completely console-related, but definitely relevant given the upcoming PS VR release.

VR momentum slows dramatically on Steam | Latest news from the game development industry | Develop
Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #3388
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Too many of the sports games are getting feature heavy. Expansion in 2K, relocation in NHL, formation subs in Madden. Feels like new consoles must be on the horizon or else the developers won't have anything "new" to add to the games. :P

A lot of those features were in these games over a decade ago.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #3389
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good price points on the new PS4 models. $299 for the Slim and $399 for the Pro. Anything higher would have been a bad move.

Will be interesting to see how cheap the bundles on the current model get this fall.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:36 PM   #3390
RainMaker
General Manager

Consoles are better than PCs because you don't have to upgrade them as much. So much for that one.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #3391
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Surprised that no one has even mentioned it yet. Could see the NX by the end of the week.

The $299 Nintendo NX To Be Unveiled This Friday? Here Are The Latest News And Rumors About Mysterious Console
Old 10-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #3392
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like the reveal will be tomorrow

Preview Trailer of the Nintendo NX Confirmed for 20th October - Nintendo Life
Old 10-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #3393
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Whoa the Nintendo Switch (the new name for the NX) looks pretty damned cool!

Old 10-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #3394
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

My hands cramp just from looking at those microscopic controllers in multi player mode.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #3395
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, you can just get the pro controllers (the ones that look like XBox ones) for regular multi player at home.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #3396
mckerney
Coordinator

I'll get one eventually even it's just for Nintendo's games. If their software output manages to match the Wii U I'll be happy.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #3397
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
To be fair, you can just get the pro controllers (the ones that look like XBox ones) for regular multi player at home.

oh ok - that's good
Old 10-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #3398
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The other things that seemed interesting was that in the video they showcased a few 3rd party games - Skyrim and NBA 2K it looked like. If they have that lined up, it could really be quite worthwhile.

Edit: Apparently Activision, EA, and Bethesda are listed among a number of launch partners... yay, 3rd party games!
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/1...-ea-activision

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-20-2016 at 10:42 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #3399
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I'll get one eventually even it's just for Nintendo's games. If their software output manages to match the Wii U I'll be happy.

Looks like everything I loved about the Vita with easy docking capibilities and controllers. First day buy for me.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:09 AM   #3400
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I did some reading and it looks like the Dock is simply a dock that charges everything. All the power is in the tablet thing. I'm sure I will buy one, but I fear that it's going to be relatively weak processor wise.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote