Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2006, 02:42 AM   #301
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just watched the last two episodes. I am bummed to see Eko get killed off like most people have said already. However, if he wanted off then there is really nothing the writers can do.

The most recent episode was very good IMO, especially the build up with Jack and the Others.

Can we get the "numbers" back involved into the storyline? Also, when the went back into the Pearl hatch why did nobody think that the tv's on the wall looked at the other hatches. I thought this was assumed and fairly obvious, but nobody in the room was able to figure it out until female character X decides to bring it up.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:54 PM   #302
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

ABC moves Lost back an hour to avoid American Idol and Criminal Minds.

hxxp://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20061205abc04

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Lost Returns with Original Episodes Wednesday, February 7 At a New Time, 10:00 p.m., ET

It will now face CSI:NY and Medium at that time slot.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 PM   #303
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm guessing this is the end of Lost as a Primetime marquee hit and the beginning of Lost as a niche show with a strong cult following.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:22 PM   #304
rexallllsc
Banned

I agree. Mismanagement of the second season was the downfall of the big viewership.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #305
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc View Post
I agree. Mismanagement of the second season was the downfall of the big viewership.
Right. But the move to 10PM is a necessary adjustment to strong counter-programming. Lost would simply get killed in the current time slot, and moving it to another day would all but kill viewership, so the move to 10 was the best move to make.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #306
John Galt
Pro Starter

Avoiding Criminal Minds? Wow, that's kind of sad. I know Lost wouldn't want to take on the Idol-monster, but if it can't take on a show like Criminal Minds, that's a problem.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 AM   #307
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think it's more like "avoiding American Idol and Criminal Minds."

Believe it or not, this was the straw that final broke the camel's back. Because my wife loves Lost and rarely stays up past 10pm, we're getting a DVR.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-06-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #308
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Criminal Minds - didn't it beat CSI head-to-head when it was on Thursdays at 9?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:57 AM   #309
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I think it's more like "avoiding American Idol and Criminal Minds."

Believe it or not, this was the straw that final broke the camel's back. Because my wife loves Lost and rarely stays up past 10pm, we're getting a DVR.

You've taken your first step into a larger world. . .

This is exactly why the time change doesn't mean anything to me. I haven't watched Lost at its regularly scheduled time all season. So long as my DVR adjusts accordingly, it'll be all good.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #310
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Yep - haven't DVRs pretty much taken the steam out of programming?

I think a network would be wise to take a bunch of shows they wouldn't normally program and run them in the wee hours of the morning - say between 2-5AM. Let people DVR them and see which ones catch on. I'll bet more than a few gems would surface this way.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #311
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Yep - haven't DVRs pretty much taken the steam out of programming?

I think a network would be wise to take a bunch of shows they wouldn't normally program and run them in the wee hours of the morning - say between 2-5AM. Let people DVR them and see which ones catch on. I'll bet more than a few gems would surface this way.

Good thought....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #312
Anthony
Banned

Heroes - a Lost knockoff that out-Losts Lost - was the nail in the coffin for Lost. i continue to watch the show only because i've spent the last two years following the show and want to see how it ends. this is different from watching a show and hoping it'll never end, as i stated before in this thread i openly hope the show will end within the next two years so i can see what the (likely nonsensical and anti-climatic) ending will be. the 2nd season did the show in. i'm not even talking about the new show-to-rerun ratio (which was annoying itself), moreso that it didn't really take the show to the next level, it just added on a whole bunch more questions without providing hardly any answers.

season 3 has essentially been the jack, kate and sawyer show, which is nice, but at the same time i don't think Lost is paying all the other actors to be in Hawaii for nothing so i'm expecting a whole bunch of "while jack, kate and sawyer were on their island, here's what everyone else was doing on their side of the island" nonsense. the asians, the Iraqi (see, i'm already starting to forget their names) and even the Hobbit have all had a significant drop in airtime, and i fear a whole lot of backstory will be served up in the 2nd half of the season rather than advancing the storyline. this show is just nonsense, but i watch it nonetheless. when it's over - it'll be over - and i'll have my favorite Heroes all to myself. i really hope next fall marks the finall season. this is not a series with much lasting power. i hope the powers that be see that and just end it before it becomes a parody of itself.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #313
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
Heroes - a Lost knockoff that out-Losts Lost - was the nail in the coffin for Lost. i continue to watch the show only because i've spent the last two years following the show and want to see how it ends. this is different from watching a show and hoping it'll never end, as i stated before in this thread i openly hope the show will end within the next two years so i can see what the (likely nonsensical and anti-climatic) ending will be. the 2nd season did the show in. i'm not even talking about the new show-to-rerun ratio (which was annoying itself), moreso that it didn't really take the show to the next level, it just added on a whole bunch more questions without providing hardly any answers.

season 3 has essentially been the jack, kate and sawyer show, which is nice, but at the same time i don't think Lost is paying all the other actors to be in Hawaii for nothing so i'm expecting a whole bunch of "while jack, kate and sawyer were on their island, here's what everyone else was doing on their side of the island" nonsense. the asians, the Iraqi (see, i'm already starting to forget their names) and even the Hobbit have all had a significant drop in airtime, and i fear a whole lot of backstory will be served up in the 2nd half of the season rather than advancing the storyline. this show is just nonsense, but i watch it nonetheless. when it's over - it'll be over - and i'll have my favorite Heroes all to myself. i really hope next fall marks the finall season. this is not a series with much lasting power. i hope the powers that be see that and just end it before it becomes a parody of itself.

Wow, I am 1000% in disagreement with your assessment of Lost. I find the show highly entertaining and am very much looking forward to continuing the "ride" that is Lost. I for one do not look forward to the shows eventual end even though it will probably end in one or two more seasons. I will surely miss it, but until that time I will savor each episode as it reminds me that there is actually some decent programming on the networks these days. It's a shame that some crappy American Idolesque reality show will probably take it's spot down the road.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #314
Anthony
Banned

different strokes, but the show hasn't been around long enough to start being this repetitive and present so many questions that it doesn't intend to answer. don't get me wrong, it's in my top 3 favorite shows list, but that's only because i don't watch many tv shows that aren't non-fiction (i'm more of a Discovery/History Channel buff).

the worst thing it could do is try to prolong the ride. just let it end soon and we'll all have somewhat fond memories of it. it's starting to go in circles now.

Last edited by Anthony : 12-06-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #315
Daimyo
College Starter

The second season was pretty subpar compared to the first season, but so far season three has been pretty solid. I'll definitely finish out this season (should be easy thanks to the scheduling) and then decide if I'll actively watch season 4 or just wait for reviews and DVDs.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #316
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
different strokes, but the show hasn't been around long enough to start being this repetitive and present so many questions that it doesn't intend to answer. don't get me wrong, it's in my top 3 favorite shows list, but that's only because i don't watch many tv shows that aren't non-fiction (i'm more of a Discovery/History Channel buff).

the worst thing it could do is try to prolong the ride. just let it end soon and we'll all have somewhat fond memories of it. it's starting to go in circles now.

I am curious to know how you know that the show has presented questions that it has no intention of answering. Perhaps a few examples might shed some light on this.

I do think the show got hurt a tiny bit by losing the actor who played Mr. Eko(SP?) and also the child actor who played Michael and the father character. I am sure losing those characters brought out more than a few changes to the overall storyline.

I think Lost will generally apeal to the fan of serial dramas as opposed to episodic dramas. While I enjoy the latter, it is the former that I really enjoy because the writers have a much longer time to tell their story. The downside to this style is that you can't afford to miss any episodes. this happened to me with Prison Break and Heroes. I must now wait and watch these shows on DVD which is nice due to the lack of commercials.

-Cork
Old 12-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #317
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork View Post
I must now wait and watch these shows on DVD which is nice due to the lack of commercials.

-Cork

I thought they are available online?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #318
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
I thought they are available online?

Not every episode is available online by their networks, but you can definitely get them.

Torrent is your friend.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #319
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Not every episode is available online by their networks, but you can definitely get them.

Torrent is your friend.

I was specifically referring to Heroes and Prison Break, which he mentioned in his post. I thought all of the Heroes episodes were online and played on the Sci-Fi channel later in the week. Prison Break, that may have to be "Torrented", but I could be wrong
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #320
rkmsuf
Head Coach

what better torrent heroes or torrent prison break
Old 12-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #321
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

I believe that season 1 of Prison Break is out on DVD so I might watch those via netflix. I did notice that heroes also airs on the SciFi channel, but not until 3-4 episodes into the season. Young kids and early show times are not a good mix. Perhaps a DVR might be the solution.

-Cork
Old 12-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #322
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
I was specifically referring to Heroes and Prison Break, which he mentioned in his post. I thought all of the Heroes episodes were online and played on the Sci-Fi channel later in the week. Prison Break, that may have to be "Torrented", but I could be wrong

I thought only the most recent episode of Heroes was online. Taking a look, all of them are out there.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #323
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I thought only the most recent episode of Heroes was online. Taking a look, all of them are out there.

I guess I will have to stat watching these as the show looks really interesting.

-Cork
Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #324
Poli
FOFC Survivor

How many episodes have been shown so far?

I'm trying to catch up, starting from the beginning...abc.com has the first 6 online...how many more am I missing?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #325
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Well Heroes proved to be a very pleasant surprise. After watching the 11 episodes, I must say that I really enjoyed the show and will be looking forward to watching it when it resumes in January.

-Cork
Old 12-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #326
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
How many episodes have been shown so far?

I'm trying to catch up, starting from the beginning...abc.com has the first 6 online...how many more am I missing?

There were only 6 in the fall season.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #327
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Sweet, I'll be good to go then!

What a great first episode!
Old 12-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #328
rexallllsc
Banned

These idiots could learn a thing or two from the cable channels as to how to run a series.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #329
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc View Post
These idiots could learn a thing or two from the cable channels as to how to run a series.

What would that be? Wait two to three years between seasons?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #330
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
What would that be? Wait two to three years between seasons?

The Shield on FX does it best. Every January it comes back for upwards of 13 episodes on consecutive weeks. Pretty much every FX show is this way depending on the cycle and it works perfectly, especially if you like all their shows.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #331
Pyser
Pro Rookie

So this if fun:

Producers announced today that they are actively looking for a way to end the series.

Looks like it'll wrap up at the end of season 4, when they approach 100 episodes.

Awesome. Isnt that basically admitting they have no idea whats going on on their own show??
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #332
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
So this if fun:

Producers announced today that they are actively looking for a way to end the series.

Looks like it'll wrap up at the end of season 4, when they approach 100 episodes.

Awesome. Isnt that basically admitting they have no idea whats going on on their own show??

Not True. They just want the network to give them a ending date in the future so the writers can make sure they get all the answers resolved.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #333
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
So this if fun:

I read it (drawing my own conclusion, rather than just gegurgitating the pres release) pretty much the same way. If they know how long they have to go, then they know how long and how hard they can keep pulling our chains, and still have time to tie it all up.

I do agree with their concern about a parallel fate to The X Files. This show could certainly be on a hastened but similar trajectory.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #334
Easy Mac

Don't forget, Lost comes back at 10 pm this Wednesday. Seeing Criminal Minds reminded me.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #335
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Just thinking that "Lost" is an appropriate title for the storylines in this show.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #336
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i just rented The Stand, the miniseries from the mid-90s.

lost owes a lot to that miniseries.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #337
Lorena
Unregistered

woot!

I'm excited it's finally gonna start. Although I'm dissapointed that "Day Break" wasn't given a chance.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #338
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
woot!

I'm excited it's finally gonna start. Although I'm dissapointed that "Day Break" wasn't given a chance.

It was given a chance, and it ended up like Rex Grossman.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #339
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
i just rented The Stand, the miniseries from the mid-90s.

lost owes a lot to that miniseries.

I love the Stand. What sort of parallels do you see? I've never really equated the two.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #340
Easy Mac

the writers have admitted a lot of influence from both the stand and steven king in general
Old 02-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #341
Easy Mac

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/The_Stand
Old 02-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #342
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
It was given a chance, and it ended up like Rex Grossman.

I don't think anything can compare to that hideous performance, it's like an insult to the show.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #343
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
woot!

All the episodes of Day Break are getting posted on ABC.com if you want to watch.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:02 PM   #344
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Huh. Not too terribly interesting and sort of obvious if you take a second to think it through, but cool nonetheless.

I thought The Stand mini-series was pretty decent. Other than a god awful performance by Molly Ringwald, I thought the cast was pretty good too. I liked it. It's not the book by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a very respectable effort for TV and had a simply brilliant opening scene.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #345
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dobber as Tom Cullen is the best casting ever.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #346
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold101 View Post
All the episodes of Day Break are getting posted on ABC.com if you want to watch.
No shit?!? Cool - are they gonna do the same with The Nine?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #347
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Welcome back Lost, we sure missed you! Can't wait to start watching tonight!

-Cork
Old 02-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #348
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Sounds like a character overview starts at 8pm EST, does the actual episode start at 9pm EST?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #349
Easy Mac

10pm
Old 02-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #350
duff88
College Prospect

I thought this was the best episode of the season so far. I haven't liked this third seasonthough, so that's not saying that much.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote