Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #301
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Nope - I started off with three and didn't buy anymore. It was my first time through the game so I didn't know how many I needed. I was actually heading up to the surface to buy more torches when my last one went out.

That's why I asked-I usually by enough torches to last awhile-7 or more-be on the lookout for lanterns, for which you will need oil-they last longer and shed more light-and if you get lucky you may find an artifact fairly early on that will solve all your light problems forever. Buy Food too-I usually go down with close to 10-you can find some in the dungeon, but better to be safe than sorry-and there are items and spells that will help with food as well.

One piece of advice-don't go past the first level of the dungeon unless its really small the first time you go in-go through it all, then go back to town to sell off stuff-like potions and scrolls, many are bad on the early levels, and while you'll sell some good ones too, the good news is that all those potions and scrolls will now be identified when you go back in the dungeon. Also depending on what character you are playing and what level you are when you finish level 1 the first time, you may not be ready to take on level 2-its better to go to town, sell stuff, and come back and do level 1 again to maybe get another level or two before going to level 2-this is especially true for mage types.

Feel free to ask questions here, be glad to help if I can.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #302
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I am very happy that I just came across:

Ring of Lordly Protection
+17 AC
Nether Resist
Hold Life
Disenchant Resist
Poison Resist
Nexus Resist
Free Action

That's nasty. They are normally found way deep in the dungeon. I know in some Bands they are the best non-artifact ring you can find and they are at level 100. I'm on 44 and got it as a drop from a minor demon.

Sweet!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #303
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just to show you how difficult Crawl can be for even "experienced" players like me, here's my recent history with my characters. This version of Crawl removed the paladin class from play, though technically you could still play one if you started a human fighter and found an altar of The Shining One-in the previous version when you could play a paladin-he was automatically your god and you started out worshipping him. So I wanted to play a "paladin" in this version-however its been a bit more difficult than expected.

Attempt One: This guy started out nicely with four or five blue items including a sling of flame and some kind of platemail I was waiting to get my strength higher to wear. Got to experience level 4 or so, then ran into a kobold on level 2 of the dungeon-kobolds are easy right? Not when they carrry a freaking wand of draining-tried to run away but couldn't get around a corner before he drained all my hit points and had used my healing/teleports. Oh and the one blue item I hadn't ID'ed yet? a dagger of electrocution. argh.

Attempt Two: Was forced to run away from a named unique (Terrance) on Level 2 cause I wasn't ready to fight uniques yet-was forced to go down a level to escape him...and in following the corridor (which was a dead end one way) I landed in...I ran into another unique (Grinder), who I think one-shot me to death before I could make my way back to the stairs.

Attempt Three: Nothing very interesting had happened with this guy on Level 1...that is until a centaur archer showed up about four or five levels higher than they are normally found-they just rain death with their arrows and are tough to take out on the normal levels they appear on because of it-had no chance with my puny guy on level 1.

So now I'm in the midst of attempt four. Anyone want to place a bet on how many attempts it will take me to get to the temple and find an altar of the Shining One?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #304
Thomkal
Head Coach

And attempt four ends via an invisible orc wizard who confused me then magic darted me to death. At least I killed one wizard and an regular orc before I died.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #305
Thomkal
Head Coach

and attempt five nearly ended before it began as a succession of tougher than they look kobolds, goblins, and hobgoblins kept popping up before I could heal up-was down to 1 hp and got lucky and made a kill. My reward for my perserverance was +2 Ring of Strength off one of the goblins.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #306
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
that would be it-it was just called CRAWL to begin with-new people took over developing it and added the Stone Soup part. People just call it CRAWL anyway

Just a slight nitpick from a long long time Roguelike player. It was originally called Linley's Dungeon Crawl after it's creater Linley something or other ( Maybe Henley or something ).

That's when I first played it.

I do have a question about TOME. I remember a middle earth roguelike with that name and when I googled I ended up with TOME, Tales of Maj'Eyal which I'd never heard of but rocks. Is this just an evolution of the other game ( I'm not seeing any middle earth here though I'm no expert on ME and I just started playing yesterday. ) or is it a separate game named coincidently?

Oh, and if it's different can anyone hook me up with the original TOME?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #307
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Guys, I just started playing Crawl and I have a really dumb question. Are you able to sell things during this game like in Angband?

I made a stupid mistake on my first play through thinking that if I stepped up a level I would be in town only to find that it retired my guy.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #308
RainRaven
High School JV

Nope, you can only buy things in the shops if memory serves me correctly.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #309
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Just a slight nitpick from a long long time Roguelike player. It was originally called Linley's Dungeon Crawl after it's creater Linley something or other ( Maybe Henley or something ).

I do have a question about TOME. I remember a middle earth roguelike with that name and when I googled I ended up with TOME, Tales of Maj'Eyal which I'd never heard of but rocks. Is this just an evolution of the other game ( I'm not seeing any middle earth here though I'm no expert on ME and I just started playing yesterday. ) or is it a separate game named coincidently?

The Tales of Maj'Eyal is basically TOME 4 (TOME 3 was never completed). They took out all the Middle Earth stuff and created their own lore and such.

I don't have a link readily available for the old version, but Google TOME 2.3.5 and I'm sure one of the top links will have a download.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #310
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post

Yeah I knew that's what it was called when I said that-guess I should have given credit. The TOME you mentioned is the current version, TOME 4. You might find working links to older versions here:

Angband at oook.cz - Variant list

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-04-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #311
Thomkal
Head Coach

the original version of TOME was called PernAngband which may be hard to find these days as my favorite Author, Anne McCaffrey threatened legal action against TOME's creator. But the versions since PernAngband are probably the ones you are looking for anyway
Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #312
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man people are you stalking this thread or what?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #313
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Guys, I just started playing Crawl and I have a really dumb question. Are you able to sell things during this game like in Angband?

I made a stupid mistake on my first play through thinking that if I stepped up a level I would be in town only to find that it retired my guy.

Heh PB, welcome to one of the many differences between CRAWL and Angband. You cannot sell anything in Crawl-there is no town to go back to. However there are shops scattered throughout the dungeons at random where you can buy things.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #314
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Awesome, thanks for the answers guy! Yeah, Crawl is much more brutal than Angband in terms of difficulty.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #315
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Is TOME 4 worth playing yet? I drained many years into the 2nd(?) version, but all of my attempts to get into 4 were short and disappointing.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #316
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Man people are you stalking this thread or what?

Yes

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #317
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

If I were to ever create an Angband variant I'd call is KSband. Kitchen Sink Band. I'd use the rules of something like Z or Heng or Gum, and then add in everything. I mean everything.

There is no fucking way that no Angband variant, EVER, as far as my research shows, has had Balmung as an artifact (sometimes called Gram) - the sword Sigurd used to slay Fafnir, and Sigfried used in the Nibelungelied. Z has uniques from that epic, like Hagen and Alberich, plus items from it - The Spear of Hagen, but not arguably the most iconic sword after Excalibur in European history? What about Roland's Durandal or Charlesmagne's Joyeux?

You see what I'm saying? There should be fucking EVERYTHING in this stuff. I want to see all 12 Swords from Fred Saberhagen's tales, I want to see Polyphemus as a unique Cyclops, I want to see Stormbringer in more than a few variants, and the Ring of the Nibelungs, and Gungnir - Odin's spear, or damned MJOLNIR - where the fuck is that hammer in my games (outside of Hengband)? How about a cloak of invisibility? It's only a key item in dozens of tales, myths, and books. What about D&D stuff like the Eye of Vecna as a light object or a Dragonlance or other similar things. What about the weapons of Fafhrd or the Gray Mouser - like Scalpel or Greywand? (Even Excalibur itself is only in Hengband)

And that's just items. Fafhrd and Gray Mouser also make sense as uniques. So does Sigurd or Siegfried. Even Grendel is only in a couple of variants.

I do like some bringing in a few minor Marvel comics characters where they make sense, like Malekith. How about Fin Fang Foom? I don't want to make it too comics centered, but when they make sense? Toss them in. Toss in the Kitchen Sink too!

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-04-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #318
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

And shops you can rob! YEAH!!!!!!!! ADOM has zero shops. I wanna sell my shit. And then steal from em!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #319
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Is TOME 4 worth playing yet? I drained many years into the 2nd(?) version, but all of my attempts to get into 4 were short and disappointing.

I only tried once, but I could not get into TOME 4. It's a totally different set up than the previous TOME versions and even Angband itself. I played it cold though without reading anything about it beforehand. Maybe if I read some of the manual or help pages so I had a better idea of what I was supposed to be doing and more importantly where I was supposed to be going I'd feel differently about it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #320
Danny
Head Coach

Vote Thomkal

Just for good measure
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #321
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Vote Thomkal

Just for good measure

*pees on Danny just for good measure*
Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #322
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Attempt Two: Was forced to run away from a named unique (Terrance) on Level 2 cause I wasn't ready to fight uniques yet-was forced to go down a level to escape him...and in following the corridor (which was a dead end one way) I landed in...I ran into another unique (Grinder), who I think one-shot me to death before I could make my way back to the stairs.

Terrance? A monster named Terrance? Was Philip there too?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #323
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Terrance? A monster named Terrance? Was Philip there too?

No, but I was waiting for him to show up.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #324
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

HEY! path! Long time no see! How you been dude? YOu really need to get back into WW. YOur blood pressure is probably too low
Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #325
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If I were to ever create an Angband variant I'd call is KSband. Kitchen Sink Band. I'd use the rules of something like Z or Heng or Gum, and then add in everything. I mean everything.

There is no fucking way that no Angband variant, EVER, as far as my research shows, has had Balmung as an artifact (sometimes called Gram) - the sword Sigurd used to slay Fafnir, and Sigfried used in the Nibelungelied. Z has uniques from that epic, like Hagen and Alberich, plus items from it - The Spear of Hagen, but not arguably the most iconic sword after Excalibur in European history? What about Roland's Durandal or Charlesmagne's Joyeux?

You see what I'm saying? There should be fucking EVERYTHING in this stuff. I want to see all 12 Swords from Fred Saberhagen's tales, I want to see Polyphemus as a unique Cyclops, I want to see Stormbringer in more than a few variants, and the Ring of the Nibelungs, and Gungnir - Odin's spear, or damned MJOLNIR - where the fuck is that hammer in my games (outside of Hengband)? How about a cloak of invisibility? It's only a key item in dozens of tales, myths, and books. What about D&D stuff like the Eye of Vecna as a light object or a Dragonlance or other similar things. What about the weapons of Fafhrd or the Gray Mouser - like Scalpel or Greywand? (Even Excalibur itself is only in Hengband)

And that's just items. Fafhrd and Gray Mouser also make sense as uniques. So does Sigurd or Siegfried. Even Grendel is only in a couple of variants.

I do like some bringing in a few minor Marvel comics characters where they make sense, like Malekith. How about Fin Fang Foom? I don't want to make it too comics centered, but when they make sense? Toss them in. Toss in the Kitchen Sink too!

That would be fantastic. I would love to play that.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #326
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I have officially run into a CTHULTHU Monster Pit on 45. Wowzers.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #327
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

gotta love that
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #328
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Ok, I have officially run into a CTHULTHU Monster Pit on 45. Wowzers.

Just don't lose your sanity or its all over.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #329
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Tizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Colada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read The Poem of The Cid last night, in case you can't tell. Other swords that would be in KSband.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-05-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #330
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
HEY! path! Long time no see! How you been dude? YOu really need to get back into WW. YOur blood pressure is probably too low

VOTE CRIMSONFOX

Last edited by path12 : 05-05-2011 at 08:23 PM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #331
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
VOTE CRIMSONFOX

darth-vader-noooo.jpg

[I stole this picture from mckerney btw. He gets credit for making it funny first. ]

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 05-07-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #332
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Just hit level 40 after killing Smaug. I have every resist in the game, plus immunity to electricity.

Code:
[ZAngbandTk 2.4.0 Character Dump] Name Carnil Age 19 Self RB CB EB Best Sex Male Height 71 STR: 18/100 +2 -5 +6 18/130 Race Beastman Weight 163 INT: 18/100 -2 +3 +11 18/*** Class Mage Status 4 WIS: 18/98 -1 +0 +11 18/198 Title Sorcerer HP 605/605 DEX: 18/100 -1 +1 +0 18/100 Realm 1 Sorcery SP 289/289 CON: 18/100 +2 -2 +4 18/200 Realm 2 Chaos Maximize Y CHR: 18/100 -4 +1 +7 18/140 Patron Nurgle Preserve Y Level 40 Fighting Saving Throw Chaos Rank Cur Exp 1720313 + to Skill 28 Stealth Very Good Max Exp 1720313 Deadliness 224% Fighting Good Adv Exp 2125000 Blows/Round 2+2 Shooting Fair Disarming Superb Gold 1346992 Shooting Magic Device Chaos Rank + to Skill 21 Perception Excellent Armor [35,+121] Deadliness 209% Searching Good Burden 109.3 lbs Shots/Round 2.0 Infravision 0 ft In your childhood, you were stupid enough to stick your head in raw Logrus. You have green reptilian eyes, dirty gray fur, and canine feet. [Virtues] You are the living embodiment of Knowledge. You are the living embodiment of Mysticism. You are very virtuous in Chance. You are the polar opposite of Valour. You are a champion of Individualism. You have sinned against Diligence. You are the polar opposite of Honour. You are the polar opposite of Patience. [Mutations] You can smell nearby precious metal. You can polymorph yourself at will. You can turn ordinary items to gold. You can bring down the dungeon around your ears. You can send evil creatures directly to Hell. You can freeze things with a touch (dam 3 * lvl). You are subject to berserker fits. You are teleporting randomly. You have a scorpion tail (poison, 3d7). You have horns (dam. 2d6). You are very resilient (+4 CON). You are extremely fat (+2 CON, -2 speed). You are resistant to magic. You have an extra pair of legs (+3 speed). Electricity is running through your veins. Your body is enveloped in flames. You are telepathic. [Character Equipment] a) The Long Sword 'Ringil' (4d5) (+22,+25) (+10 to speed) b) The Sling 'Sands of Time' (x3) (+15,+19) c) a Carnelian Ring of Lordly Protection [+17] d) a Spikard Ring of Speed (+6) e) a Golden Amulet of Brilliance (+6) f) The Star of Elendil (+1 to speed) g) The Chain Mail of Arvedui (-2) [14,+15] (+2) h) The Elven Cloak of Super Resistance [4,+18] (+4 to stealth) i) The Large Leather Shield of Celegorm [4,+20] j) The Hard Leather Cap of Ben Franklin [2,+18] (+5) k) a Set of Cesti of Free Action [5,+18] l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots of Free Action [6,+9] [Character Inventory] a) 4 Sorcery Spellbooks [Beginner's Handbook] b) 4 Sorcery Spellbooks [Master Sorcerer's Handbook] c) a Sorcery Spellbook [Pattern Sorcery] d) 3 Chaos Spellbooks [Sign of Chaos] {25% off} e) 3 Chaos Spellbooks [Chaos Mastery] {25% off} f) a Chaos Spellbook [Chaos Channels] g) 3 Rations of Food h) 2 Oily Yellow Potions of Healing i) 2 Brown Speckled Potions of Enlightenment [Home Inventory - Outpost] a) 3 Blue Mushrooms of Restoring b) 5 Oily Yellow Potions of Healing c) 2 Ichor Potions of Restore Mana d) a Potion of Restore Life Levels {25% off} e) 4 Dark Red Potions of Curing f) a Scroll titled "tabuni snabek" of *Remove Curse* g) a Runed Rod of Pesticide h) a Silver Rod of Teleport Other i) a Gold Ring of Flames [+10] j) a Ring of Skill (+18) k) a Ring of Combat (+14) {75% off} l) a Spikard Ring of Speed (+3) m) The Incandescent Light of Edison (+3 to infravision) n) The Metal Brigandine Armour 'Iadae' (-3) [19,+12] (+3) o) The Leather Scale Mail 'Thalkettoth' (-1) [11,+25] (+3) p) The Metal Cap of Thengel [3,+12] (+3) q) The Cutlass 'Gondricam' (1d7) (+10,+11) (+3) r) The Tulwar 'Elfrist' (2d4) (+15,+10) (+3) s) a Broad Sword (Holy Avenger) (2d5) (+12,+15) [+4] (+1 attack) t) The Katana of Groo (6d4) (+0,+0) (+2) u) The Spear of Hagen (1d6) (+11,+13) (+3 to speed) v) a Mace (Defender) (2d4) (+5,+5) [+6] (+1 to stealth) [Home Inventory - Telmora] a) 2 Life Spellbooks [Book of the Unicorn] b) The Phial of Galadriel (+1 to searching) c) a Golden Statue of an Ice troll [Home Inventory - Morivant] a) a Wooden Statue of The King in Yellow b) a Wooden Statue of Gandalf the Grey c) an Iron Statue of a Black mamba d) a Copper Statue of Jormungand the Midgard Serpent e) a Silver Statue of an Aklash f) a Golden Statue of Yibb-Tstll the Patient One g) an Ornate Statue of a Forest troll h) an Ornate Statue of a Baby white dragon i) a Magical Figurine of a Lloigor [Home Inventory - Angwil] a) 3 Bubbling Potions of *Healing* b) a Hexagonal Rod of Havoc c) 2 Rusty Wands of Tame Monster (16 charges) d) a Plain Ring of Intelligence (+5) e) a Platinum Ring of Slaying (+12,+9) f) Blue Dragon Scale Mail (-2) [30,+17] g) Bronze Dragon Scale Mail (-2) [30,+14] h) The Ring Mail 'Abpluorg' (-2) [12,+17] (+4) i) The Ring Mail 'Laiv' (-2) [12,+11] (+4 to stealth) j) The Cloak 'Colannon' [1,+15] (+3 to stealth) k) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2) l) The Long Sword 'Rotten Egg' (2d5) (-20,-21) {cursed} m) The Scimitar 'Soulsword' (3d5) (+9,+11) (+2) n) The Bastard Sword 'Calris' (4d4) (-20,+20) (+5) {cursed} o) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) p) The Blade of Chaos 'Stormbringer' (6d6) (+16,+16) (+2) {cursed} q) The Ball-and-Chain 'Sami' (2d4) (+15,+16) (+4) r) 28 Mithril Shots (6d2) (+6,+6) (60/120)

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-06-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #333
Thomkal
Head Coach

that's just awesome abe, good luck the rest of the way.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:04 AM   #334
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Time to try some zangband...maybe I can actually kill a monster.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 AM   #335
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

LOL pathetic . I still have yet to kill my first zangband monster. TIme for ADOM again I guess.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #336
Thomkal
Head Coach

what are you playing CF that you can't kill a monster? and what did you try to kill?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #337
Thomkal
Head Coach

Was just rereading the first version of the Angband competition we did a while back-fun stuff there-we used ZPlusAngband-which is basically a Zangband variant. Gotta go start up a new game of that now.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #338
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

zangband. The first monster I see. I don't think it's zangband TK altho i don't know how I'd verifiy that. It wasn't from your site but another.

SHould I be buying more stuff from town first? I do want to play a different one. ASOM is awesome but i'm pretty much going to the same dungeon every time and then dying on level 5.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #339
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

OH NO!!! CRAWL has a directory called "morgue" in its directory structure.
That's just rubbing my nose in it I think.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #340
Thomkal
Head Coach

It's just preparing you for the inevitable
Old 05-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #341
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yay I finally got ZangbandTK. Amazing game. and I'm STILL alive! heh
Old 05-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #342
Thomkal
Head Coach

well glad to hear that, I was worried.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #343
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm two items away from winning this game - Tome of Armageddon and Staff of Healing. I used the Trump Tower to head to level 97 with a bunch of chests I stored up, and opened them up, and got the Grimoire of Power the top level book for sorcery, but I need the Red one and the Staff to go infinite. I have the infinite mana combo all set - Staff of the Magi, which restored my mana, the Recharge spell in my repertoire from Sorcery to recharge the Staff, and I can go forever, barring a massive flame attack that eats it up ( I have a spare in the town). Add a rechargeable Staff of healing and the mega powerful damage spells from the Tome, and I've got this. I'm currently down to the mid 80s in the dungeon.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #344
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Who's got a Staff of Healing?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #345
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm surprised you haven't been able to find a Staff of Healing in the stores.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #346
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Found the rare scroll of *Acquirement* and got bumpkiss at 89. That always sucks.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #347
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

One of the fun things about Z, Z+ or Z TK is when I set it to 49 quests, that means every other level in the dungeon has a out of depth set of monsters I have to kill in order to delve deeper, and when I do, I get a free great item. Usually they are things like "Level 10 is guarded by 6 Master Yeeks" or somesuch. Well, for the last 30 levels of the dungeon, there aren;t many out of depth generic creatures, so the levels are almost exclusivly guarded by a deeper unique. So I have experience fighting a bunch of different great uniques, Saruman, a few Amberites, Ymir, Carcharoth, and more. It's good experience for fighting the heavies later.

Mephistopleles just dropped FIVE artifacts and the Armageddon Tome on 88. Nice.

Dagger of Rilia
Nimthanc
Careth Asdriag
The Boots, Durekkhil
The Fauchard, Snejumi

Who now has Mana Storm??

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-08-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #348
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
One of the fun things about Z, Z+ or Z TK is when I set it to 49 quests, that means every other level in the dungeon has a out of depth set of monsters I have to kill in order to delve deeper, and when I do, I get a free great item. Usually they are things like "Level 10 is guarded by 6 Master Yeeks" or somesuch. Well, for the last 30 levels of the dungeon, there aren;t many out of depth generic creatures, so the levels are almost exclusivly guarded by a deeper unique. So I have experience fighting a bunch of different great uniques, Saruman, a few Amberites, Ymir, Carcharoth, Mephistopleles, and more. It's good experience for fighting the heavies later.

Yep, also one of my favorite parts of it and TOME (I always set random quests to 98). Of course that makes it fun when you get quests for Sky Drakes or Master Q's....

In the same vein, I also always set autoscum on as I prefer playing a higher risk/reward game.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #349
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I love later levels. There's a giant vault on every level. Just cast Word of Destruction, and whatever survives is an artifact. Nicely done

Old 05-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #350
path12
Coordinator

Getting this after choosing a character when it prompts me to save just before beginning the game:

error loading C:\Games\Zangbandtk\ZangbandTK\Omnibandtk-1.4\lib\sound-bass.dll no error

Hit OK and then it exits back to desktop. Any ideas?