Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #301
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I tweaked down the scoring a little bit on EF's slider. But I play as Memphis, a team that can run all day, has tons of depth, and can generally score from wherever they want to. I am still getting close to 100 points game.

I ended up tweaking the minutes down somewhat. As much as I'd like to play slower, I'm not one to pass up a good look to slow down the shot clock. I've gotten in the 80s playing 16 minutes halves with the field goal percentage in the 50% range. I just tweaked fouls a little lower because I got fouled almost every time I drove to the hoop (I had shooting at 100, down to 75 like blocking now).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #302
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I ended up tweaking the minutes down somewhat. As much as I'd like to play slower, I'm not one to pass up a good look to slow down the shot clock. I've gotten in the 80s playing 16 minutes halves with the field goal percentage in the 50% range. I just tweaked fouls a little lower because I got fouled almost every time I drove to the hoop (I had shooting at 100, down to 75 like blocking now).

I seem to get fouled more the higher the level I go up. Right now, I am playing on All-American making the transition to MOP. I guess the D gets over faster and therefore you draw more fouls. So the higher the levels you go up, the lower you need to make the foul sliders.

Right now, I am really challenging myself to call plays and play effective basketball. For example, if I see my opponent is in a 1-3-1 zone, I will kick the ball to the wing and then try to get a shot from the low post. If it is not there, I will kick the ball back out. It is much harder to get good shots against the MOP. The defenders close down quickly.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #303
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Right now, I am really challenging myself to call plays and play effective basketball. For example, if I see my opponent is in a 1-3-1 zone, I will kick the ball to the wing and then try to get a shot from the low post. If it is not there, I will kick the ball back out. It is much harder to get good shots against the MOP. The defenders close down quickly.

Makes a lot of sense...I just moved up from All-Conference to All-American.

Also, I run the motion offense to kind of get away from running set plays (which I'm not really diciplined enough to run anyway). It works all right...but it seems I get points a lot from causing turnovers by running a 1-3-1 zone maybe 30% of the time. If I run it much more they start getting the 3 looks and taking them.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #304
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I usually stay in the man to man. I will double down in the post if need be, but most of the players on my team are solid defenders. The biggest problem I have on D is fast breaks. I will get the player I control back, but I can not ever get any teammates back and it is usually a 2-on-1. This only happens on MOP.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #305
sooner333
College Starter

I generally do better in the man to man, but I tend to get a lot of turnvers with the 1-3-1 because the opponent will try to get the ball inside and my guys will take the passing lanes away. This could be better because I'm on a lower skill level though. It generally works best when I'm facing a team with a really good PG...I'm not a great man defender myself and usually guard the PG.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #306
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Finally got around to picking this up (It's been my fav. sports series the past few years, despite me not having much interest in college basketball). Starting out as Stony Brook. EF27, have you made any recent changes to the sliders you posted? I know I can just get them from OS, but they generally have several sets, and figured I got with one I know is well tested.

The first thing I notice playing this on a regular TV, not an HDTV....the text on screen REALLY sucks. I can't read some of it (Could someone tell me what the very last option in the Presentation menu says?). I would hook it up to my monitor, but I'm too used to playing in Widescreen. (My crappy, cheap regular TV does have an option to show stuff in 16:9 aspect). I guess that means I just going to HAVE to buy a Widescreen LCD monitor...it's not my choice anymore.

As I got better, scoring was a bit too high, so I did tune down shooting percentages across the board (except maybe for 3's?) 1-2 notches. I didn't make any other changes and I kept the minutes high. I have some games where shot attempts are too high, but not many as I will often work the ball inside and out and usually don't shoot for at least the first 15-20 seconds of the shot clock unless I'm playing a bad defensive team that gives up easy shots.

Edited to add: This change also brought my shooting percentages more in line with the simulated games (where I think shooting percentages are too low.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-21-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:21 PM   #307
sabotai
General Manager

I love the little things in the game. I love seeing the cheerleaders and floor sweeper run onto the court when there's a break in the action. I love that I can control my guys during the pre-game warm up. The weekly show is nice, but I doubt I'll watch it everyweek until I build up a successful program.

I took Stony Brook to a conference championship and an NCAA Tourney birth. I was supposed to get killed by #4 Texas Tech in the 1st round. Even in the Selection show, one of them mention Texas Tech as a team to pick for your brackets. Oops. We pull off the major upset. We were down for most of the game by 5-10 points. But then we went on a run when they just went through a major meltdown and we won by 10. Amazing game, and then we got creamed in the 2nd round.

I was offered the San Jose St. job (Mid-Major conference) so I took it. After a few years, I've built a winning program (I sim most of the game for the season but play a few, and then play the conference tourney and NCAA if I get in).

I recruited this Center who is 7 feet tall and 250-some pounds. The problem is at Stony Brook, I built up an outside shooting team, so I really have no idea how to take advantage of having a really tall, well shooting center. Any tips? What sort of plays should I be calling?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #308
jackyl
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm 12 years into a dynasty and here's what has happened so far.

I started at Northern Colorado and led them to two consecutive bids in my third and fourth seasons by winning the Big Sky tourney. Both times I got smoked in the first round - once by a one seed (Michigan State) and once by a two (USC). I'd built up a nice little program by season four - went 26-6 with upsets of Colorado and #24 Oregon - but still got a #15 seed.

Somehow I came up for and accepted the Louisiana Tech job. I completely simmed the first season once I saw the load of crap on my roster and was rewarded with a four win season. The next two seasons I improved to 10 and then 17 wins. Luckily I romped through the WAC tourney despite only winning 6 games in conference play and got an 11 seed in the Dance - very surprising considering my team was 15-14 at the time. I shocked even myself in beating Arizona State in the first round and then got a matchup with another Cinderella, 14th seeded Western Michigan (in my notes I put that they beat UT, which probably means Texas in my eyes). After holding off WMU my Bulldogs got pounded by USC on the Trojans' way to the title.

Temple came calling and I accepted the job. I posted my second career 20 win season with a 21-11 record right out of the gate, but lost (to UMass) in the A-10 tourney. I got an NIT bid and lost to Florida State in the first round. The next season was were everything really started coming together. Even though we limped home to a 15 win season, I had five open schollys to fill and my A in charisma started to work out for me. I got a 5-star from Philly, a 5-star from Australia, and the 5-star Louisiana POY, along with two 4-stars - one from NYC and the other a juco frosh named Ray Willis from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

The next season I started all three 5-stars, Willis, and my lone returning senior. Willis, a SG, was an absolute beast, finishing the season as an 85. We went 29-5, got a five seed and beat UNLV, Tennessee, and a Cinderella Houston team before a regional final date with Florida. My Owls get run out of the building as Florida winds up with the hardware.

The next season we shot out of a cannon, finally breaking the 30 win mark before the tourney even started. We get a three seed, Willis is a 90 and conference POY, and go 31-4 before getting stunned in the second round by 11 seed Fresno State. We were ranked #11 in the country at the beginning of the tourney and got as high as #6 at one time.

All of those five-stars are juniors and Willis is a senior All-American in the last season. We had a lot tougher schedule this year and we go 27-11 with a six seed. But once the tourney rolled around, we knocked off Oregon State, Mizzou, and a very satisfying W over USC before toppling #1 Illinois to finally get to the Final Four. Miami sends us packing in a hurry before they lose to Texas A&M in the championship.

I've skipped the job carousel the last couple of seasons, but there's some interesting opportunities this go-round. Duke, Oklahoma State, and Purdue are the top three on the list and my coach's name is at the very top of the right hand column.

I haven't decided if I'm leaving or not.
jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #309
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Do you play or sim games?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #310
jackyl
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Do you play or sim games?

Usually I play the in-season tournaments and a couple of interesting road games - though almost never in conference or tourney games. I played the two tourney games when I was at N. Colorado.

I've gotten a lot better at actually playing the game (thanks, XBox Live!) since I started the dynasty so it almost feels like cheating now that I've got some firepower.
jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #311
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Starting out with VMI is almost cheating. They have a pretty decent team, with a big time scorer in a not so great conference minus Winthrop. I spent two years there before Santa Clara came calling. The WCC schools are good stepping stones because the the talent you can bring in from California. After three years there and one elite 8 appearance, Arizona State came knocking. 9-21 the previous year with very little coming back. This will be my toughest job yet, but I think I can bring in some pretty good players.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #312
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This game is still so much fun for me. I just won my conference tournament at Drexel and am going to the Big Dance for the first time! I had a nail biting overtime game in the Semi-Finals against George Mason (ranked 15th at the time.) Then, we were down to Towson by 12 at the half in the final, but I didn't rush and played good defense and we slowly chipped away. I also brought in my extremely fast freshman PG who broke down their defense and helped us get some easy baskets. We won 57-49. It was great because last year, my great defensive C didn't have any shooters around him to make it work. This year, I had 3 freshman shooters who were talented but erratic. I gave them all pep talks before the conference tournament started and 2 of them really responded including my freshman PF who can hit the 14-16 foot jumper. He had 20 points and 10 boards against George Mason. Now, I'll have a tough choice on whether to stay or go (I'm assuming I'll get some good offers after taking this team to the tourney in my 2nd year here.) I want to get to USC within the next few seasons. I just have to decide if this job could propel me there or if I'll need one more stepping stone.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #313
RedKingGold
College Starter

This game is my next purchase (to reward myself after law school finals are over)
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #314
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I'm still playing this game like crazy. I haven't played a sports game this much in, well...over a decade I think. I got the game in December and I'm in my THIRD season and I'm currently in the second round of the NCAA tournament. My Wright State Raiders made the Final Four as a 1-seed in '07, and made the sweet 16 as a 6-seed in '08. In '09 we finished 27-4 against a tough non-conf. schedule and in the #9 rated conference and got another 1-seed! I crushed Hartford in the first round and I'm hoping to make it past #9 Purdue into the sweet 16.

Anyone who's been thinking about buying this game should definitely pick it up. It's not perfect (I'd rate it about an 8.5) but I'm able to overlook the flaws and enjoy it for what it is. Hopefully they improve some things for next year's version so I can keep playing it.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #315
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Starting out with VMI is almost cheating. They have a pretty decent team, with a big time scorer in a not so great conference minus Winthrop. I spent two years there before Santa Clara came calling. The WCC schools are good stepping stones because the the talent you can bring in from California. After three years there and one elite 8 appearance, Arizona State came knocking. 9-21 the previous year with very little coming back. This will be my toughest job yet, but I think I can bring in some pretty good players.

I think Drexel is turning out to be a great place to be a stepping stone, too. There is a lot of talent in NJ/PA/NY, etc and not that many schools competing for it. This offseason, I lost one very good SF that I wanted to Rutgers, but I signed a PG from Brooklyn, NY who is starting for me immediately as a Freshman and is my best player besides my senior C. This is going to be a fun 3rd year at Drexel