Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2003, 01:54 PM   #301
Vince
Pro Starter

bbor - You get to look forward to my team sucking as much as your team, if that helps
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #302
McSweeny
College Starter

just picked up this guy to help my defense out. Cost me 100,000

Fred Nowak
104 000 US$, 27 years, inadequate form
Has poor experience and weak leadership abilities [Head]

Stamina: excellent Keeper: wretched
Playmaking: weak Passing: passable
Winger: poor Defending: passable
Scoring: wretched Set Pieces: passable
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 02:02 PM   #303
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
i just started my team so i'm pretty much looking to rebuild. My current keeper is rated inadequate and i'm looking to get a new one. Should i pay 150,000 for a passable one with solid form?

after this i'm looking to beef up my defense. What should i look for in my back four?

You shouldn't have to pay that much for a passable keeper - probably only about $110,000 for a decent guy. Keep looking.

For your defenders, you probably want to move one of them up to play inner midfield, and essentially get into a 3-5-2 setup. With limited resources, it makes sense to go for either guys with "solid" defending and little else (costing $100k or more), or else guys with "passable" defense and perhaps some complementary decent skills like winger, playmaking or passing. You can pick up guys with two or three ratings of inad or passable fairly affordably/
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 02:02 PM   #304
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
bbor - You get to look forward to my team sucking as much as your team, if that helps

Welcome to suckville Vince

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 02:04 PM   #305
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Welcome to suckville Vince

DOLA!

Hrmm...i should really read what i think in my mind before i type it.....

there are too many lines that could be said after this.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #306
McSweeny
College Starter

so you think i should play a 3-5-2 instead of a 4-4-2? my team isn't experienced in 3-5-2, does that matter?
Old 03-02-2003, 03:02 PM   #307
bbor
Pro Starter

4-5-1...and nothing but 4-5-1

The more you play with the line up the better it will get...your team may be disorganized for the first few games

Old 03-02-2003, 03:53 PM   #308
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
from Vince:
1) How important is it to watch your money? I'm definitely going to kick up my youth squad spending, but should I worry about getting into debt early? If I kick up my youth squad, it looks like I'll be losing about 15k a week...I have 300k right now. Thoughts?

2) I have a passable coach already (woo-hoo), and he is defensive minded. Not to start a war between ardent and HFP, but how much should the fact that he is defensive minded influence my decision to have an offensive or defensive strategy? Should I even care? Also, should I worry too much about his weak leadership rating?

3) My best keeper is rated weak (and everyone else is wretched or disastrous), so I'm definitely in the market for a keeper. Since my team is 5th, and probably only going down in the very near future, should I just go for an inadequate keeper?

4) Finally, how quickly should I expect development to occur? I've got three or four guys who seem pretty good (estimated value in six figures), but two of them are 25 and 26. Are they going to get any better, or should I try to get money for them now?

I see two different paths for the money situation- if you have a pretty good team right now, then go straight for the stadium expansion as soon as next season starts. If you have a weaker team, you'll need to spend that cash on players. It all depends on the hand you were dealt to start. If you need players, the stadium expansion will have to wait until you make your sponsors more happy and get more cash.

I think the key with your coach is "should i even care". You have a passable coach without spending any money. You probably shouldn't care.

The third question relates to number 1. If you have a good team, go put down that $80 to $100K on a passable goalie. It takes time to find one around $80K but can be done and saves you money for other players. Since you aren't going anywhere this year, you don't want to overpay something like $110K-$120K for someone you can get for cheaper and spend on a young trainable player. BTW, if 4th is attainable, you can get a little bit of prize cash at the end of the year.

Lastly, depends on how badly you need them and if you think you can blow out your team and start over without overpaying for stuff. I suspect the answer is no. You learn from mistakes or very careful observation and you don't have the wealth of experience from the first that some of us do: I almost paid $55K for an inad keeper my first day until the guy, whose keeper I was bidding on, messaged this guy I was in a bidding war with and myself and told us to stop. Thankfully the other guy "won".

The number of weeks for guys to grow from one level to the next can generally be done by this formula (goalies take a week or two less, defenders take a week or two more) =
(Age - 10) + (Coach's skill below solid, so passable for you = 1). Your 26yo will take a while, as you can see. Also, this is with a full compliment of coaches (ie 6-8 assistants). Adjust your team accordingly.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:31 PM   #309
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I am the undisputed king of futility.

Once again I will finish 2nd and once again I fell short in trying to win the division 2-1 this week. 2007 can't come fast enough.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:48 PM   #310
DataKing
Pro Rookie

If you all want to see the sort of nail-biting finishes that the Hattrick engine can produce, check out my league match from today. I damn near had a heart attack watching this one.

Is it wrong to verbally cheer your players on, or curse at them, even though they're actually nothing more than bits and bytes?

Now if you'll all excuse me, I think I am going to faint...

Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:51 PM   #311
PilotMan
Head Coach

I still have a chance to won the division, but its going to come down to the last match of the year and I will have to win. My opponent hasn't allowed a goal in a while (neither have I), but his O is so good. He has 65 goals so far this year.

In fact If I were to win out I would be up for automatic promotion, since my points are high enough.

SO dissapointing, although winning streak is up to 11 matches.

My team is getting old and I am in debt, don't know how long I'll be able to hold on.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:51 PM   #312
Eilim
High School Varsity

I was watching your game along with mine, DK.

Is it wrong to verbally cheer players on, or curse at them, when it isn't even your team?

After those first two goals I was in shock and actually stopped paying attention to my game to focus on yours and try to will your team to win.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:55 PM   #313
McSweeny
College Starter

well i got whipped in my first ever league game 5-0. They had possesion 97% of the time. Boooo! looks like i need some mid-field help. My central defense was strong during the game so that's a plus i guess. My strikers played fairly good too. Just couldn't hold onto the ball at all.

2 games left, if i win them both i have a chance of finishing in a tie for last place.

I get my ass kicked and i'm royally addicted!
Old 03-02-2003, 09:37 PM   #314
The_herd
College Starter

Have to brag about my defense after this match, a 3-0 win over Toe Jam. And just to keep my head out of the clouds I'll show you how bad my attack usually is too.

Midfield: poor
Right Side Defence: EXCELLENT
Central Defence: OUTSTANDING
Left Side Defence: FORMIDABLE
Right Side Attack: weak
Central Attack: poor
Left Side Attack: weak

And in 9 league matches now, I haven't allowed a goal. If you include friendlies, quiksand has scored the most goals against me with 2. Unfortunately, I haven't scored more than 4 goals in a match yet, and I have 3, ugly 1-0 wins, and a hideous 0-0 tie.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:38 PM   #315
bbor
Pro Starter

Holy Shit!.....97% possesion...that's crazy

Old 03-02-2003, 10:05 PM   #316
mrushh
High School Varsity

Yea for Cowtown!!!! After taking over a last place team with 1 point, we won tonight, 4-2, to secure a top 4 finish in series.

Actually we are tied for 3rd with 23 points, but the other team is better if you look at the 'star' count.

Question: How much good does Match of Year do (We play that 3rd place tie team last week of the season)?
Old 03-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #317
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mrushh
Yea for Cowtown!!!! After taking over a last place team with 1 point, we won tonight, 4-2, to secure a top 4 finish in series.

Actually we are tied for 3rd with 23 points, but the other team is better if you look at the 'star' count.

Question: How much good does Match of Year do (We play that 3rd place tie team last week of the season)?

Congrats.

I was playing with the effects of MoY and PiC on the match simulator and they had about a .5 goals per game difference + or - from playing a match normal.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:13 PM   #318
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just need to add that while looking for teams to challenge for my friendly this week, I have one thing to say.

Ardent is a guestbook whore.

Please make sure to check your guestbook for viruses, and get it tested soon. This may save you valuable time and money later.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:20 PM   #319
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Has anyone else been having tons of trouble with the Hattrick Conferences?

It seems like nearly every time I try to go there, for weeks now, there are problems.

Or is it just me?
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 03-05-2003, 01:43 AM   #320
3ric
College Starter

No, I couldn't get into the conferences either when I was trying to schedule a friendly with someone last night.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:04 AM   #321
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

The conferences are just hellish. Have been for a while now

Oh, Hattrick pet peeve. Your coach going defensive. Nothing like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. My git (note, english term there) has used the ploy 5 times. He felt we were so far ahead, and safe, that we should pull everybody back, and 'D' up.

In these occasions we've managed to win a mere 2 of the 5 games. 2 losses, and 1 tie. The moron did it again in my league game this week, causing the tie. We're condemed to relegation now, though with a win, we would have had a great chance at a qualification match. I think I know who Mike Brown is looking for after Marvin Lewis runs out of town screaming bloody murder...

Wait, that's no good. Bengals would have to get a lead first.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:14 AM   #322
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Marc Lavoie (7719970)
45 years, passable form, healthy
A passable coach who prefers a strong defensive game

And you wonder why your coach goes defensive, dMB?

Have you might tried setting your wingers and best offensive wing back/defender to offensive? I'm curious as to whether that might help the situation.

I can't recall my coach (passable, goes all out) going defensive ever, but he hasn't had more then a 2-0 lead at this point (new guy).
Old 03-05-2003, 10:06 AM   #323
NevStar
High School Varsity

My coach goes all out and he pulls back, too. Fortunately, I haven't lost a game he's pulled back, yet, although there's been a close one or two.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:37 AM   #324
Easy Mac

My coach goes all out every game. Ahh I love those 7 goal games
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 01:40 PM   #325
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Shameless plug. I have begun the rebuilding:

Don Yancey (4079786)
21 years, passable form, healthy

A sympathetic guy who is temperamental and upright.
Has disastrous experience and inadequate leadership abilities

Nationality: USA
Assessed value: 161 000 US$
Wage: 1 400 US$/week
Owner: Cedar Pond Horned Toads
Warnings: 0

Stamina: poor Goaltending: passable
Playmaking: disastrous Passing: disastrous
Winger: wretched Defending: wretched
Scoring: disastrous Set Pieces: wretched

Listed at $90616, Deadline: 3/9/2003 at 20:37

If any of you guys buy him, he is class!
Old 03-06-2003, 10:30 PM   #326
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
I have begun the rebuilding

The 21YO doesn't cut it for rebuilding?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 10:41 PM   #327
bbor
Pro Starter

He like em young

Old 03-07-2003, 11:43 AM   #328
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

YoungER.

But really it is because I pulled that 18 year old passable last week and I have the 20 year old passable anyways. One of these decades I will buy a solid forward, since mine generally play hopscotch and pass out in the 2nd half waiting to get the ball.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:40 PM   #329
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Hopscotch? He DOES like 'em young!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:19 AM   #330
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Expansions next season

During the winter the HT-Team have been focusing on fixing problems and performance issues. We've been digging into the database, into the code and tuning the system in small adjustments. Each change have not been having a huge impact but the sum of 2 months of such work means that we are not only fully able to deal with the current load, but also capable of accomodating more users.

So, we feel happy to announce the expansion of a bunch of leagues. Which ones? More about that in a moment.

-"Hey, wait a minute - the site is still slow on Sundays and let's not talk about the conference, it gives me time-outs all the time!".

Yes, you are right. However, these are two separate things and won't really be affected by an expansion. The problem with the slow site has been vastly reduced the last 2 weeks since we made a couple of code improvents. It can still be a bit slow when Sweden plays matches on Sundays and Wednesdays. Around early next season we will have more web server capacity installed. That should eliminate even that problem.

However, we will NOT be expanding Sweden this season. Even though we will soon be having the capacity to deal wih an expansion of Sweden, we do not expand until we really have that capacity installed. It is a lesson we've learnt.

The second problem, the apalling state of the conference is not really a performance problem. Considering the type of problems with the conference database we have, just adding more hardware or limiting the number of users does not help. What we need to do is to make some fundamental design changes to the conference system. We've spent quite some time analyzing and tracking down what the problem is and what needs to be done. We will now begin to make those changes. It will take time - months. But since this is not really a performance issue, it would not make sense to let the expansion of the leagues wait on that work to be completed.

Another factor in determining whether a particlar league can be expanded is GM resources. The number of Game-masters have been growing to now almost 50 GMs! All the major leagues have their own GM and some have more than one. Having enough GMs is crucial before expanding a league and the expansion plans below have been discussed and cleared with the GMs.

So, after some explanation of our reasoning as to what CAN be expanded, a few words about what NEEDS to be expanded:

Some leagues are obvious: Romania and Argentina were close to getting an expansion already last season. They now get it.

België also has a huge waiting list and will of course be expanded.

Then there is the rising star in the Hattrick sky: Nederland. The league has been growing at stunning speed for many months now and we see no sign of it slowing down. Normally we'd be reluctant to expand a league at this level two seasons in a row, but it is clear that Nederland really needs it. So, there will be an expansion of Nederland from 11,000 to 19,000 teams.

Denmark, Norge, USA and Schweiz are also getting an expansion from 2700 to 11,000 teams.

These are the major expansions (each involving 8192 new teams). Apart from those, a bunch of leagues will be expanding from a lower level:

From 680 to 2727 teams
Hrvatska
France
Mexico
Magyarország

From 168 to 680 teams
Slovenija
Chile
Israel
Bulgaria
Rossiya
Türkiye
Wales

The expansion of all these leagues will have to mean some adjustments to match and update times. Details in a separate document about new match times.

This is taken from the hattrick website. Does that mean that there will be a D6?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 10:44 AM   #331
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Yes Virginia, there is going to be a VI now
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:11 PM   #332
DataKing
Pro Rookie

illinifan999: You are correct. This means that the U.S. will have a sixth division.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 03-09-2003, 01:27 PM   #333
bbor
Pro Starter

Wooohoo...something for Hornedfrog to shoot for

Old 03-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #334
Easy Mac

Am I the only person here who buys no one over the age of 21?

And when training, should I train skills 6 weeks (or the recommended for that skill) in a row, or alternate skills weekly?
Old 03-09-2003, 07:04 PM   #335
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Am I the only person here who buys no one over the age of 21?
I'll occasionally snag a 22 or 23yo but, in general, yeah, I only buy 21yo and less.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:07 PM   #336
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I try to only get 19 and under. 20 if I must.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:10 PM   #337
Eilim
High School Varsity

I used to be that way, but I modified it a bit. I won't get anyone over 20 in a position I'm training, or position affected by training. But, if theres a position that won't be affected.. I don't worry so much about the age as long as their not a year or two away from decline. The training time plays no part on them and you can get some great deals on mutli-passable skillset players in the 24-27 range.

Someone had mentioned it on the board, and it just made too much sense for me not to try.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:12 PM   #338
Vince
Pro Starter

Damn it...my inadequate keeper just took a knee injury, and my weak replacement immediately allows two goals. To go from a reachable 1-0 defecit to 3-0 in less than three minutes sucks ass.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:15 PM   #339
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Up 4-1 right now!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:16 PM   #340
McSweeny
College Starter

down 2-0 on the road
Old 03-09-2003, 07:41 PM   #341
Easy Mac

I was down 3-0 after 36 minutes, but I have 4-4 now in the 86th minute. I was actually able to grab the lead for a minute, and I have a 2nd straight game with a player with a hattrick.

edit: I kissed my sister at 4-4. Oh well, during the game I signed 2 young swedes for $5,000 total, and one I'm training at D, so all's well.

And my stadium sold out this game, does anyone know how much larger the stadium should be in relation to your supporters. I have like 550 supporters and sold out my 7000 seat stadium?

Last edited by Easy Mac : 03-09-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:48 PM   #342
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Hallejuha!! I handed a team a huge 9-0 can of whoop-ass. 9 to freakin zip. Poor guy never had a chance. That is a confidence booster.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #343
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Oh and I pulled my highest revenue next to the sale of Tom Sanders. I make at least 100,000 this week. That will leave me with 76,000 in the bank.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:54 PM   #344
McSweeny
College Starter

i made over 100,000 this week and i'm still 92,000 in debt
Old 03-09-2003, 08:00 PM   #345
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

So nice to be out of debt. Too bad, I need a miracle to finish third in my division. But this is a promising sign of things to come.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:00 PM   #346
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

HELL YES.

MOTS'd twice in a row. TS went down to murderous, so I fire my coach. Take a look what I get in 2 tries.

Ian Hogan (8754342)
50 years, disastrous form, healthy
A solid coach who prefers a strong defensive game
A pleasant guy who is balanced and honest.
Has brilliant experience and solid leadership abilities.

Muah.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:06 PM   #347
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
And my stadium sold out this game, does anyone know how much larger the stadium should be in relation to your supporters. I have like 550 supporters and sold out my 7000 seat stadium?

Go to this site:
http://www.databased.at/hattrick/index.asp
Then go to tools then arenasizer

numbers they use are 30 times your supporters if you're winning a lot, 20 times if you're average and 15 times if you're a loser

Ratios of the different types of seating are respectively 63%, 25%, 10% and 2% for terraces, basic, inder roof, and VIP.

Later, FrogMan.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:08 PM   #348
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

My team rules with a poor coach who goes all out.

Mwahahaha!!!!
Old 03-09-2003, 08:13 PM   #349
TredWel
High School Varsity

Well, my loss puts me out of contention for promotion. Even if I won, Qwikshot's team nailed my coffin shut with their win.

On the plus side, my youth squad just hit solid, and this week's selection is the best I've ever had (and I think is Al Pacino in disguise):

Guo Huu-Hanh
19 years, passable form, healthy

A pleasant guy who is fiery and infamous.
Has disastrous experience and wretched leadership abilities.

Nationality: USA
Assessed value: 68 000 US$
Wage: 860 US$/week
Owner: Scranton Slime
Warnings: 0

Stamina: weak Goaltending: disastrous
Playmaking: passable Passing: inadequate
Winger: passable Defending: poor
Scoring: poor Set Pieces: wretched

Our team suddenly has a new starting winger.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:21 PM   #350
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I miss Tom Sanders That $600,000 did come in useful though.