Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #301
TroyF
Coordinator

Yeah, I've just pushed Heavy Rain off until the Summer sometime. Actually, I've pushed any game not titled "The Show", "Mass Effect 2", "God of War 3", "FM 2010" or "FOF" to the back end of the Summer. No way in hell I'll have time for anything other than those 5 after I finish up with BioShock 2.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #302
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I loved Heavy Rain but you can knock it out in a weekend if you so desire.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #303
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

DeTox - you see any reason to play through it again? I beat it over the weekend and really don't have the desire to replay it. I liked it but didn't crack into my favorite game experiences like I thought it was going to.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #304
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
DeTox - you see any reason to play through it again? I beat it over the weekend and really don't have the desire to replay it. I liked it but didn't crack into my favorite game experiences like I thought it was going to.

Honestly I have considered it, but I didn't play as much as I wanted during the week. Had I been able to I would have probably done it over the weekend but with the Show coming out tomorrow I just can't see it being played any time soon.

I liked it a lot, and I think the next game by the people who made this one can be excellent, but it is better off as a rental.

I'll trade it in to Gamestop for like 30 bucks in store credit and pay off God of War III with it I believe.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #305
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Honestly I have considered it, but I didn't play as much as I wanted during the week. Had I been able to I would have probably done it over the weekend but with the Show coming out tomorrow I just can't see it being played any time soon.

I liked it a lot, and I think the next game by the people who made this one can be excellent, but it is better off as a rental.

I'll trade it in to Gamestop for like 30 bucks in store credit and pay off God of War III with it I believe.

Why not try Craigslist? I have two inquiries on my Heavy Rain listing for $45 and I just put it up on Sunday.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #306
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Why not try Craigslist? I have two inquiries on my Heavy Rain listing for $45 and I just put it up on Sunday.

Wow. Glad you told me that. I am gonna do that then.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #307
samifan24
Pro Starter

Has anyone run into this nasty PS3 clock bug yet? I noticed my PS3's clock was set to January 1, 1979 or something last night while playing Fallout 3 but haven't had any other problems. I did read that MLB 09 is unplayable right now, even in single player mode. Hopefully Sony will patch this one up soon.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #308
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Finished my first playthrough of BioShock 2 over the weekend. I won't get into spoilers, but personally the "good guy" ending felt a little weak. I really liked the "good guy" ending of the first one, and IMO this one didn't compare. That being said, it was still a lot better than some of the other junk out there.

Placing BioShock 2 on the back-burner for a little while now and going back to Borderlands for a while as my preferred shooter. I started messing with the Zombie Island of Dr. Ned over the weekend and find it pretty entertaining. I've pretty well burnt-out on L4D2, so that gets put on the shelf for a while too.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 03-01-2010 at 01:00 PM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #309
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Has anyone run into this nasty PS3 clock bug yet? I noticed my PS3's clock was set to January 1, 1979 or something last night while playing Fallout 3 but haven't had any other problems. I did read that MLB 09 is unplayable right now, even in single player mode. Hopefully Sony will patch this one up soon.

Yes and it's pissing me off. I can't check now, but last night I couldn't connect to PSN and my date/clock was jacked. There are more comments in the Ping: MBBF thread.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #310
RainMaker
General Manager

Forgot about Borderlands as I'm about halfway through the latest DLC.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #311
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Finished my first playthrough of BioShock 2 over the weekend. I won't get into spoilers, but personally the "good guy" ending felt a little weak. I really liked the "good guy" ending of the first one, and IMO this one didn't compare. That being said, it was still a lot better than some of the other junk out there.

Placing BioShock 2 on the back-burner for a little while now and going back to Borderlands for a while as my preferred shooter. I started messing with the Zombie Island of Dr. Ned over the weekend and find it pretty entertaining. I've pretty well burnt-out on L4D2, so that gets put on the shelf for a while too.

I just beat it and I kind of agree, the ending was a little weak. I really loved the story up until the end. It wasn't nearly as bad as Fallout 3 (which was simply ridiculous). I wish it would have been a little bit better though. I keep hearing good things about Borderlands, but it'll just have to wait til summer with everything else. My PS3 will probably be played more in the next month than it has the previous two years. The Show and God of War are going to be getting a ton of my time this month.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #312
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I just beat it and I kind of agree, the ending was a little weak. I really loved the story up until the end. It wasn't nearly as bad as Fallout 3 (which was simply ridiculous). I wish it would have been a little bit better though. I keep hearing good things about Borderlands, but it'll just have to wait til summer with everything else. My PS3 will probably be played more in the next month than it has the previous two years. The Show and God of War are going to be getting a ton of my time this month.

Borderlands is excellent to play multiplayer. It's good single player but it's just amazing multiplayer.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #313
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
What BioShock do you recommend to get? 1 or 2?

I'd pick up #1 first. It's cheaper and the better game. Bioshock 2 is not bad by any means but I think you get more bang for your buck with #1.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #314
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Agree with DeTox, get #1. A big part of the game is the story (unusual for shooters), and #2 pretty much assumes you know what happened in #1.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #315
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Looks like the first bit of info about this year's NCAA Football is out.

"
  • Numbers on helmets
  • On-field referees
  • Tweaked Pro-Tak gang tackling
  • Auto-saves
  • Auto-loading of rosters
  • Formation substitutions
  • New equipment
  • Online Dynasty will have all bowl games played in a single week
  • Dynamic conference logos for when teams move conferences
taken from pastapadre.

Really is sad how long it's taken to get some of the stuff from xbox/ps2 to 360/ps3.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #316
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Looks like the first bit of info about this year's NCAA Football is out.

"
  • Numbers on helmets
  • On-field referees
  • Tweaked Pro-Tak gang tackling
  • Auto-saves
  • Auto-loading of rosters
  • Formation substitutions
  • New equipment
  • Online Dynasty will have all bowl games played in a single week
  • Dynamic conference logos for when teams move conferences
taken from pastapadre.

Really is sad how long it's taken to get some of the stuff from xbox/ps2 to 360/ps3.

Still no FCS teams, or the ability to create a post season tournament. Really sad that these options aren't available.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #317
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Still no FCS teams, or the ability to create a post season tournament. Really sad that these options aren't available.
It does take time to port over options that were in the game 12 years ago to the "next gen".
Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #318
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Borderlands is excellent to play multiplayer. It's good single player but it's just amazing multiplayer.
Agreed. If you have a friend who will start off with you at a low level, you will have a blast with this game. I actually think playing by yourself would kind of suck considering the awesomeness of multiplayer.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #319
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'd get 1 right now. It's dirt cheap and still an amazing game. I think you can buy it off Live for $20 and probably cheaper on Ebay. By the time you get around to 2, the price should be down a bit.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #320
rowech
Pro Starter

Going back to Steam for a second...I'm not sure I understand what the heck it is. Don't you just download a game from there? What am I missing?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #321
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Going back to Steam for a second...I'm not sure I understand what the heck it is. Don't you just download a game from there? What am I missing?

Yes. You run a client on your machine, it talks to their servers. You have an account, they track what games you own, and through their client you can remove or download games you own and play them from any computer. It handles the licensing, copy protection, etc.

Welcome to Steam
Old 03-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #322
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'll pile on with the others & say 1 ... unless you just have to have multiplayer then 2 is your only choice. Otherwise save the money, enjoy 1 and have 2 waiting in the wings down the road when it's cheaper.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #323
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't see anything about this yet, but a "new" Tecmo Bowl coming to 360 and PS3. Link here:

Tecmo Bowl Throwback huddles up on XBL, PSN this spring - Xbox 360 News at GameSpot
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #324
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Tecmo are still too lazy to make any new plays, those were all on the second NES game. It won't be hard for them to make it better than the massively disappointing DS game that came out a year or two ago.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #325
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I forgot about those cocksuckers at EA holding the license for the NFL.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #326
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Red Dead Redemption was delayed one month for fine tuning.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #327
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm enjoying Battlefield online right now.

One thing though, just as a general video game industry comment... I think games are too expensive. I spent $80 for this game after taxes. If this wasn't an online game that I wanted to play with friends RIGHT NOW, I could wait a couple of months and get it used for $40 or so online. $80 is way too high for me to pay for games regularly, and I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #328
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

One thing though, just as a general video game industry comment... I think games are too expensive. I spent $80 for this game after taxes. If this wasn't an online game that I wanted to play with friends RIGHT NOW, I could wait a couple of months and get it used for $40 or so online. $80 is way too high for me to pay for games regularly, and I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same?

20 years ago, for SNES and AAA PC games I was paying $50 per title. These days, that has risen to $60 for console and $50 for PC. Compare housing, grocery, gas prices etc. I'm amazed games are as cheap as they are.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #329
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I agree with Samdari. I remember Mortal Kombat for the N64 sold for $124 when it came out new. Many N64 titles were over the $100 mark. Sure, the weakness of the Canadian dollar played a role in that at the time, but still.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #330
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
20 years ago, for SNES and AAA PC games I was paying $50 per title. These days, that has risen to $60 for console and $50 for PC. Compare housing, grocery, gas prices etc. I'm amazed games are as cheap as they are.

Yeah, maybe my views are heavily influenced by the fact that I rarely bought new games. I think for the NES I would only buy used games, and for the SNES the only new game I bought was NHL 97. Then for awhile when I didn't have many other expenses, I'd buy some computer and PS1 games... but for the most part I've bought used so my mentality is different.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #331
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some rumors coming out ahead of Game Developer Conference. First, Resistance 3 will be announced Friday with game trailer. Second, an yet unannounced PS3 exclusive will be announced at GDC '10 (possibly as soon as today). Finally, a trailer was leaked for Gran Turismo 5 showing an interview of the developer about the NASCAR portion of the game.........

Old 03-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #332
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone try the Just Cause 2 demo yet? This made me LOL.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #333
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Some of that's gonna be cultural - the exchange rate and all of that.

But as others have pointed out, the cartridge era routinely saw games much more expensive than USD$60.

Phantasy Star 4, when it came out, was $100, if memory serves. Couple of the Zeldas got up close to that with Nintendo. So on.

Part of that was chip shortages - components were more expensive, demand outstripped supply, and so you wound up with $100 games.

These days? It's not physical production costs, but the fact that it's more expensive to develop on today's hardware; inflation is partly in play here, but partly also you have much more massive development teams, advertising is a bigger part of the industry than it used to be, and so on.

In real terms, once you adjust for inflation and the like, I'm pretty sure games today are cheaper off the shelf than they were twenty-five years ago.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #334
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I remember Final Fantasy 3 (SNES) was $75 at Babbages.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #335
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Anyone try the Just Cause 2 demo yet? This made me LOL.

This game is one of my very few day-1 purchases, so I may skip the demo entirely given the game is right around the corner. The first one really focused on the fun factor and I had a blast with it.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #336
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Second, an yet unannounced PS3 exclusive will be announced at GDC '10 (possibly as soon as today).

Guess we got our answer. SOCOM 4 announced for Fall 2010. Full single/multiplayer campaign with online play.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #337
JediKooter
Coordinator

I still have some of my old Atari 2600 games and their boxes. I believe the price tag from KMart for PacMan was 59.99.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #338
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I remember Final Fantasy 3 (SNES) was $75 at Babbages.

SI

And worth every freaking penny.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #339
Tasan
College Starter

Just got my PC Gamer in the mail today. Loads of Fallout New Vegas stuff in it. It looks really, really good so far.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #340
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Just Cause 2?? WTF is this game?? It's fucking awesome!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #341
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
This game is one of my very few day-1 purchases, so I may skip the demo entirely given the game is right around the corner. The first one really focused on the fun factor and I had a blast with it.

haha awesome. i just tried the demo and it was...exhilarating.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #342
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I just got Fallout 3 on the cheap. Never really played another FPS outside of KOTOR and I'm really loving it. Glad to hear there's another coming out.

As for NCAA, unless something ground breaking happens (which it won't) I'll be sticking to this past season's NCAA and Madden.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #343
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fallout 3 an FPS? You mean RPG?

SI

Old 03-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #344
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I feel like Fallout 3 is an FPS/RPG hybrid. It's certainly not a straight RPG, although the combat isn't quite at an FPS level. I just picked it up a few weeks ago for 25 bones and I'm loving it. The game is friggin HUGE and it's so fun to discover new things. Also, it doesn't have the annoyance factor that RPG games I've seen my fiancee play have.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #345
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

True, a FPS/RPG hybrid is a good description. I go with "American-style RPG" but FPS/RPG hybrid is probably better

SI

Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #346
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

KotOR a FPS?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #347
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Yeah, I recently picked up the first for dirt cheap and it's a blast. I mean the gameplay has a lot of flaws but you just don't care because it's all about the fun. I love how they don't really even bother to make it realistic and just aim for crazy shit.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #348
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Fallout 3 is a great game. It's definitely a RPG/FPS hybrid, though I tended to use the VAT system for combat more often than not. I wouldn't use it during simple fights, but anything remotely complex it was VAt all the way. A good way to conserve ammo (at least for me) and I've always enjoyed turn-based stuff in general.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:26 AM   #349
Radii
Head Coach

I just finished up Heavy Rain. I think its easy to finish it feeling like its a great game because the story was very good.. but in the end I feel like it was a good story wrapped up in a pretty shitty game. Perhaps I just failed to become immersed in the story until the very end, but I felt like upwards of 70% of the game was meaningless button mashing for a couple lines of dialogue that I didn't give a shit about. I'm glad I tried it out, its good to see innovation, but if this game took more than 8-10 hours to beat I would have quit very early on. Only because I knew it was so short did I stick it out to see how the story ended/could end.

Also, this game offers no more replayability than any other game I've ever played, I just read a walkthrough to see what could happen instead of wasting my time.

Interesting concept, I don't feel like the first time through was a bad experience, but it was not a great one by any stretch.

Last edited by Radii : 03-05-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #350
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good summation by Bill Harris about the Heavy Rain experience.

Dubious Quality: Heavy Rain

I, much like him, was far more absorbed into the story than I ever thought I would be on the first playthrough. I'll be replaying for sure.